Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Tuna Casserole

It's not just for deplorables anymore. However I'm wary of the potato chip topping.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 47September 21, 2020 5:48 AM

...urf

by Anonymousreply 1October 19, 2017 1:04 AM

Um, yes it is for Deplorables, bitch.

by Anonymousreply 2October 19, 2017 1:23 AM

Potato chips are absolutely essential to Tuna casserole. Now I will say that some people crumble Panko over it or crumble up some Club crackers or Townhouse crackers or Ritz crackers, but that is not the greatest idea. Potato Chips are the absolutely best way to do it.

by Anonymousreply 3October 19, 2017 1:28 AM

This sounds delish. But I would leave out the tuna though.

by Anonymousreply 4October 19, 2017 1:40 AM

[quote]But I would leave out the tuna though.

A good rule of thumb for most things in life.

by Anonymousreply 5October 19, 2017 1:42 AM

Hesh yo' mouf, R2

I grew up Catholic in San Francisco and this a Friday Catholic Dinner. Usually topped with home-made french bread crumbs or crumbled Ritz crackers. It was this or creamed tuna on toast with paprika. Or if their was a bit left in the jar by Friday, filet of sole with tartar sauce and Mac 'n' cheese.

I still love all three..

[quote] A good rule of thumb for most things in life.

Haha..beware the 'DL Is misogynyst' frau/troll.

by Anonymousreply 6October 19, 2017 1:47 AM

"misogynist"

by Anonymousreply 7October 19, 2017 1:49 AM

Or, R7, the judges would have accepted "member of the he-man, women haters club."

by Anonymousreply 8October 19, 2017 1:57 AM

...or THIS gang, R8.

" no women to scold you, no children to bawl.." Now THAT'S DL.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 9October 19, 2017 2:23 AM

The potato chip topping is the best part. You can use it on chicken casseroles too.

by Anonymousreply 10October 19, 2017 2:24 AM

It's trashy if you make it with canned soup.

by Anonymousreply 11November 21, 2017 4:22 PM

Go with tater tots instead. They'll crisp up as the casserole bakes.

by Anonymousreply 12November 21, 2017 4:25 PM

I don't ever remember having tuna casserole growing up but in recent years I saw a picture and thought it looked delicious. I make a roux out of butter, milk and flour and add cheese - usually muenster. It's a delicious cream base. Then I mix in whatever pasta (bowtie or similar) and chopped sweet red pepper, chopped onion and tuna. Sometimes I forget the tuna and have to remix it. LOL!

The recipe called for some kind of bread crumb topping but I prefer nothing. I squeeze a little lemon on the plate and it's delicious.

by Anonymousreply 13November 21, 2017 4:32 PM

Can't think of anything worse.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 14November 21, 2017 4:40 PM

I'd rather eat the Pioneer Woman's pussy than that slop.

by Anonymousreply 15November 21, 2017 4:46 PM

It will never surpass my Tuna Montezuma!

by Anonymousreply 16November 21, 2017 5:00 PM

Tuna is no more for deplorables than watermelon is for niggers, your use of such words shows your racism.

by Anonymousreply 17November 21, 2017 5:05 PM

I don't use the canned mushroom soup either and make my own roux (as described above) and add mushrooms. As a young gay, we didn't use a topping and only tried potato chips later. For some reason, it works. True, this casserole isn't for everyone, but I love it anyway. This is the week to talk about Green Bean Casserole.

by Anonymousreply 18November 21, 2017 5:05 PM

I like to accompany it with a lime Jell-O mold w/ cottage cheese and pineapple

by Anonymousreply 19November 21, 2017 5:09 PM

that recipe is ridiculous

by Anonymousreply 20November 21, 2017 5:12 PM

I know its tacky and gross looking but I bet tastes good.

by Anonymousreply 21November 21, 2017 5:14 PM

as a non-american i've always been intrigued by this dish. I'm italian so it sounds horrifying, but OP's picture is not that bad.

by Anonymousreply 22November 21, 2017 5:16 PM

r19 Are you referring to the infamous "Lime Jell-O, Marshmallow, Cottage Cheese Surprise"? Made famous in song.

by Anonymousreply 23November 21, 2017 8:18 PM

[quote]Potato chips are absolutely essential to Tuna casserole.

Gross. No.

Just do a breadcrumb and cheese topping. And no canned f-ing soup. You use a white sauce to bind it.

by Anonymousreply 24November 21, 2017 8:20 PM

My Mom didn't start making it for us until we got a bit older. Hers was made with cream of mushroom soup, egg noodles, and always included peas. She'd crumble some Ritz crackers and saute them in a little butter, and that was the topping. I'd make it now, except I live alone, and I don't want to end up eating it all week.

by Anonymousreply 25November 21, 2017 10:31 PM

----

by Anonymousreply 26June 19, 2018 8:19 PM

Carbs and salt

by Anonymousreply 27June 19, 2018 8:28 PM

I stopped eating tuna when I found out it’s high in mercury. (Same with sashimi/sushi.) I miss it.

by Anonymousreply 28June 19, 2018 8:33 PM

what is the green stuff in OP's pic? Is it dill?

by Anonymousreply 29June 19, 2018 8:34 PM

It's death.

by Anonymousreply 30June 19, 2018 8:39 PM

Dill. Ridiculous ingredient for tuna casserole.

The dish as a whole sounds delicious, probably because I'm starving right now. I make traditional tuna casserole with egg noodles, peas, and cream of mushroom soup. All ingredients are essential to a good tuna casserole. (No, that is not an oxymoron, you moron.) I also make a variant with Kraft Macaroni and Cheese and mushrooms and peas. Divine, again when you are starving. Potato chips optional.

by Anonymousreply 31June 19, 2018 10:07 PM

That is also way too much dill for anything.

by Anonymousreply 32June 19, 2018 10:09 PM

I liked my mom's tuna noodle casserole, damnit!

by Anonymousreply 33June 19, 2018 10:09 PM

I posted on another thread about a summer tuna pasta salad that's really good. In fact I am having it for lunch today. It's any kind of small pasta (shells, ditalini, elbows) with tuna, mayo, celery, sweet onion, and diced tomato. And of course I have it with a side of potato chips. I can't eat tuna without a few chips. Not a casserole OP, but still a tuna concoction.

by Anonymousreply 34June 20, 2018 4:55 PM

Fuck, I found a really good recipe for a delicious tuna casserole dish (I know, tuna is not my thing, I was his test audience, etc., but it was so tasty it may have turned me into a tuna fan) and I cannot, for the life of me, find it again. Like, it was just some random recipe, and I decided, for some reason, to follow that recipe to a T, and came out with a deliciously excellent dish. And now I'm worried that I won't be able to replicate the same dish.

by Anonymousreply 35June 20, 2018 6:05 PM

[QUOTE] R28 I stopped eating tuna when I found out it’s high in mercury. (Same with sashimi/sushi.) I miss it.

It'd be a shame if you got run over by a bus after taking such good care of your health.

How long are you thinking of living?

[BOLD] A 2006 review of the risks and benefits of Tuna fish consumption found, for adults, the benefits of one to two servings of fish per week outweigh the risks, even (except for a few fish species) for women of childbearing age, and that avoidance of fish consumption could result in significant excess coronary heart disease deaths and suboptimal neural development in children. [/BOLD]

by Anonymousreply 36June 20, 2018 6:57 PM

R36 Albacore tuna is considered high in mercury and it’s recommended that it be restricted to 3 or fewer servings per month for that reason There are fish that are low in mercury such as salmon as an alternative. I guess it comes down to how much mercury you’re willing to ingest. For me personally tuna usn’t worth it.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 37June 20, 2018 7:58 PM

R47 Tuna is the number 1 selling fish here in the UK, number 2 is Salmon (but only because it is very inexpensive),followed by Cod, Haddock and Shrimp.

I suppose we're all screwed in terms of mercury poisoning

by Anonymousreply 38June 20, 2018 10:36 PM

I worship tuna casserole. I’m too lazy to make it tonight, but I will be making Tuna Helper.

by Anonymousreply 39June 20, 2018 10:39 PM

Growing up in the UK, I only ever heard of tuna casserole on US TV programmes/films.

I thought it sounded absolutely disgusting since a casserole in the UK usually involves a meat cooking with vegetables and lots of liquid for a very long time. I couldn't imagine how anyone could treat tuna in this way.

Glad to hear it's just a 'pasta bake'.

by Anonymousreply 40June 20, 2018 10:50 PM

Given how much Tuna has increased in price in recent years you could easily substitute it with fresh Salmon here in the UK. It's easy to find Salmon fillets for less than £2.50 ($3.20) a pound. It might even work out cheaper.

by Anonymousreply 41June 20, 2018 11:01 PM

I still have my mom's tuna casserole recipe. (She died in 1995). She recommends chow mein noodles as the topping. I use canned mushroom soup but I do chop up fresh celery. Mom suggests celery salt - no thanks.

by Anonymousreply 42June 20, 2018 11:30 PM

OP you have white trash taste you're probably a deplorable.

by Anonymousreply 43June 20, 2018 11:33 PM

I always heard it called Tuna Noodle Casserole. It's a classic dish primarily among white Americans (I've never known any black families that ate it). I think it goes back to the middle of the 20th century. It was a way of taking a single can of tuna, adding inexpensive ingredients, and feeding the entire family with it. It's frugal, and Catholics (like myself) could eat it on Fridays, when so many things were off-limits. McDonald's Filet of Fish sandwich was developed to accomodate Catholics back when most of us honored the rules for Fridays. A confession: I'm no longer observant of the faith in which I was raised (I'm gay, after all), but I still can't eat meat on a Friday.

R42, My Mom used chow mein noodles, too. We'd have Campbell's Tomato Soup, with La Choy chow mein noodles floated on top!

by Anonymousreply 44June 20, 2018 11:34 PM

bump

by Anonymousreply 45September 21, 2020 5:24 AM

R13, I'm going to make that. Muenster, never thought of it but I'll bet it's good. I love tuna--my comfort food is a tuna sandwich, diet coke and some chips.

by Anonymousreply 46September 21, 2020 5:30 AM

FAT WHORES!

by Anonymousreply 47September 21, 2020 5:48 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!