Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Marvel's The Runaways: The OC with Superheros and DL fave slut Gregg Sulkin

Any interest here? Just checked out the trailer. Suck for comic book stuff and teen drama so it is up my alley.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 99November 19, 2019 12:58 AM

Brought to by Gossip Girl/OC showrunner Josh Schwartz.

Though this is another property with lesbians but no gay guys, comic book/sci-fi loves that.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 1October 17, 2017 4:44 PM

Who's playing Joan Jett?

by Anonymousreply 2October 17, 2017 4:46 PM

New trailer, showing off their powers.

This looks like a supernatural version of Riverdale to me.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 3October 26, 2017 5:14 PM

I'm not paying for Hulu for this.

by Anonymousreply 4October 26, 2017 5:17 PM

No. No creativity, nothing.

by Anonymousreply 5October 26, 2017 5:18 PM

[quote]This looks like a supernatural version of Riverdale to me.

I mean basically insert "teen drama of your choice" with superpowers.

by Anonymousreply 6October 26, 2017 5:32 PM

To me the trailer looks way too unsexy to be a "good" supernatural Teen drama. And to compare it to Riverdale is an insult to Riverdale, because that one delivers in so many ways. Camp, shirtless Archie, gay character who is unapologetic about his cruising in the woods even when there is a killer on the loose, Teen drama shlock, etc.

The only draw for me is Buffy star James Marsters. I'm so over Gregg Sulkin and his glass closet pandering to the gays. Like that's supposed to hide the fact that he's actually gay.

by Anonymousreply 7October 26, 2017 5:43 PM

[quote]And to compare it to Riverdale is an insult to Riverdale

Mary!

Must not insult sophisticated masterpiece that is the CW's Riverdale....

by Anonymousreply 8October 26, 2017 5:53 PM

R6 Yes, I know, I chose Riverdale because it's the current "it" teen drama.

But Riverdale isn't all that either, that it would somehow be above comparison with this show. I FF most of the scenes these days as it's so mind-numbingly boring. I'm always up for something fresher and having the teens have superpowers just might do the trick. Too bad it's on Hulu, though.

That staff the Asian girl has looks fantastic.

by Anonymousreply 9October 26, 2017 5:53 PM

[quote]That staff the Asian girl has looks fantastic.

Given your need for fresh things I guess that by the time the actual pilot airs you are over the fantastic staff and oohing and aahing over the next fresh, new, shiny thing from a different new TV show trailer.

You're fickle, that's ok, but a fickle audience doesn't guarantee a successful show that can tell its story without being canceled.

by Anonymousreply 10October 26, 2017 6:23 PM

Christ, you sure are one jaded Riverdale fan.

by Anonymousreply 11October 26, 2017 6:30 PM

I might torrent it and wonder how many Weinstein-esque cocks Gregg had to suck to make up for his wooden acting, but I'm not subscribing to Hulu for it.

by Anonymousreply 12October 26, 2017 6:31 PM

[quote]I'm so over Gregg Sulkin and his glass closet pandering to the gays.

I appreciate his pandering, and that he posts shit like this

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 13October 26, 2017 7:05 PM

And this on his instagram.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 14October 26, 2017 7:06 PM

R14 Greggggggggg is basically showing off his VPL! Why is Runaways not on Netflix? I thought Marvel has a deal with Netflix.

by Anonymousreply 15October 26, 2017 7:12 PM

What are you talking about r15? He is just innocently posting a a vid of him working out, what bulge...?

But seriously, he barely hides that he loves being slutty. He did after all do this photoshoot.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 16October 26, 2017 7:16 PM

Figures they would pick this rather than Young Avengers, with its central gay male romance.

by Anonymousreply 17October 26, 2017 8:57 PM

I'd rather Young Avengers be a movie, though a series could get more in depth with the characters.

by Anonymousreply 18October 26, 2017 8:59 PM

When will this shitty comic books trend be over?

Is this an Asian thing? Because nobody I know watches this shit, or even knows what it is.

by Anonymousreply 19October 26, 2017 9:40 PM

[quote]Is this an Asian thing? Because nobody I know watches this shit, or even knows what it is.

Yes, I would imagine no one you knows watches it as it doesn't start airing for another month.

by Anonymousreply 20October 27, 2017 2:20 AM

Hollywood Reporter says it is promising, though weighted down as there are 16 characters to service. Hulu is releasing the first three episodes at once.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 21November 2, 2017 3:30 PM

[quote]Why is Runaways not on Netflix? I thought Marvel has a deal with Netflix.

Same reason that Cloak and Dagger are on Freeform. Disney owns a big share of Hulu.

Although Marvel and LucasFilm have been banned from shopping projects to anything that's not Disney-owned now, so any new projects will have to go to the Disney streaming service that's to launch in 2019. Marvel ran into that with their New Warriors show, because Freeform doesn't have a slot for it and they want to get it on the air before then, and can't take it to Hulu or Netflix.

by Anonymousreply 22November 2, 2017 4:14 PM

80 on metacritic right nwo

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 23November 2, 2017 5:37 PM

First reviews are trickling in and they're pretty good!

[quote]Fantastical is to be expected, but the weirdness of this show is next level for Marvel. And it's pretty fun.

[quote]If everybody's got to have a superhero family show at least it looks like Hulu has a good one, and that's differentiation, too.

[quote]The Breakfast Club meets X-Men with a splash of Stranger Things thrown in, Marvel's Runaways is the richest, best-realized Marvel drama of the new TV season.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 24November 2, 2017 9:23 PM

I've seen the first four episodes. I would pay HULU for a pricing tier where the scenes with the adults are fast forwarded. The second episode is a crazy storytelling decision.

Sulkin and the SJW are good. The rest of the teen cast are passable. For a Schwartz/Savage show, there's not a lot of snappy dialogue.

by Anonymousreply 25November 17, 2017 5:08 AM

The Runaways was a fantastic comic, while it lasted

by Anonymousreply 26November 17, 2017 5:30 AM

R25 How much shirtless Sulkin?

by Anonymousreply 27November 17, 2017 5:41 AM

R27, not much. He does look great though

by Anonymousreply 28November 17, 2017 5:53 AM

R25 Sulkin is good? At acting? Are you sure?

by Anonymousreply 29November 17, 2017 11:17 AM

r29, if the people surrounding you are bad enough, anyone can look like Olivier.

by Anonymousreply 30November 17, 2017 1:50 PM

[quote]Sulkin is good? At acting? Are you sure?

Lol, yeah I think he is damn pretty but he was the weakest part of the "Faking It" cast. Though I wonder how much of that was just getting used to speaking with an American accent.

by Anonymousreply 31November 17, 2017 5:15 PM

R31 Don't get me wrong, I'd lick EVERY inch of him, but he's never been a convincing actor.

Especially when playing Bella Thorne's boyfriend.

by Anonymousreply 32November 17, 2017 8:38 PM

A rave from the AV Club. I'm so excited for this after having given up on Riverdale because of how boring it has become this season.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 33November 21, 2017 11:34 AM

Too many girls in that photo. That's not a good sign. At least with Riverdale, there are only two main annoying females to ignore.

by Anonymousreply 34November 21, 2017 2:23 PM

I finished the first three episodes. I'm a fan, it delivered exactly what I wanted out of this type of show and kept me entertained. And yes, they gave us some nice looks at Sulkin in a couple of the episodes.

[quote]I've seen the first four episodes. I would pay HULU for a pricing tier where the scenes with the adults are fast forwarded. The second episode is a crazy storytelling decision.

I'm not surprised they feel like they have to flesh out the parents, the comic keeps them paper thin characters.

by Anonymousreply 35November 22, 2017 4:43 PM

I quite enjoyed the first three episodes. It looks expensive and the acting is fine, but it really drags at places so they need to tighten it up considerably. And why the hell would you flashback to the past so early on? Who the fuck cares?!

I'm not familiar with the source material and even I see why the fans are bitching about Molly's casting. She looks like she's the oldest one in that group and her juvenile clothes make her look ridiculous. As for Sulkin, I agree with this comment on AV Club:

[quote]Gregg Sulkin looks like an animatronic pleasure robot designed by the horniest gay scientists on the planet. And I’m into it.

That said, close-ups of his face make him look over thirty at times. Someone hasn't been applying sunscreen when on the beach, that's for sure.

by Anonymousreply 36November 22, 2017 6:09 PM

[QUOTE] That said, close-ups of his face make him look over thirty at times. Someone hasn't been applying sunscreen when on the beach, that's for sure.

I have just the facial for him

by Anonymousreply 37November 22, 2017 10:47 PM

Is James Marsters still chopping a few years off his age? I mean, Wikipedia says he's 55, but he looks every inch of that.

by Anonymousreply 38November 23, 2017 1:43 AM

Well one thing that is nice--they made an effort to make the characters look like the characters in the comics. Really, the only big change was to make Molly slightly older, orphaned, and Hispanic. Not a huge deal.

Very different from SUPERGIRL, which is bringing on the Legion and so far, none of them have any resemblance to the comics characters.

I kind of don't care so much about the parents, though...but kudos for them for trying to flesh out so many characters.

by Anonymousreply 39November 23, 2017 4:29 AM

[quote]but it really drags at places so they need to tighten it up considerably.

That’s the problem with all the MCU series. So much dragging. I wish Marvel would make all of its TV writers go to one big-ass seminar and teach them how to tighten up scripts.

Honesty, I don’t think I’ve made it through an entire MCU series.

by Anonymousreply 40November 23, 2017 12:37 PM

The "he looks like he was designed by gay guys in a lab" was already coined about Zac Efron in Neighbors r38.

by Anonymousreply 41November 23, 2017 1:23 PM

The best part of the pilot

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 42November 26, 2017 3:33 AM

I guess the kids aren't going to be running away til the end of the season.

What was with that glowing handjob thing? Confused on what happened.

by Anonymousreply 43November 29, 2017 8:20 PM

Interview with Gregg Sulkin where he talks about how hard it is to be good looking and how he brought his makeup artist with him to a radio interview.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 44November 29, 2017 9:30 PM

R44 I would very much like to stomp all over that fucking face.

by Anonymousreply 45November 29, 2017 9:32 PM

R45 I'd rather cum all over his face, thanks

by Anonymousreply 46November 30, 2017 12:37 AM

Of course he brought a make-up artist to the interview with him r44, never change Gregg.

by Anonymousreply 47November 30, 2017 1:12 PM

The actresses playing the daughter of the Scientology knock off and the slow one are worse than day players on soaps.

by Anonymousreply 48December 3, 2017 12:41 AM

R44 I love how on the one hand Gregg is saying that casting directors should have more imagination before they say he's too good looking for a part (I can transform!), but on the other hand he bought his make up artist to a radio interview.

This hot slut really doesn't have any self-awareness does he?

by Anonymousreply 49December 3, 2017 12:53 PM

Yeah that Carolina girl isn't that good r48. The asian mother seems to have only one facial expression as well.

by Anonymousreply 50December 3, 2017 12:55 PM

Yeah, the Karolina actress is not that great in this hippy airhead role. Should've been caught in casting but I guess her looks blinded the casting director.

Molly is great at times but absolutely awful at other moments. Feels like I'm watching a parody. That she's supposed to be the youngest in the group but looks like she's the oldest only adds to that surreal effect.

I'm loving the show but still think it's moving too slowly. Just get that staff, Nico, and blow shit up already!

by Anonymousreply 51December 3, 2017 1:09 PM

Allegra who plays Molly actually is younger than everyone else, she is only 14, Sulkin for instance is 25. Karolina is 22.

But yes she is a large girl which makes her seem older.

by Anonymousreply 52December 3, 2017 1:15 PM

That's a rough-looking 14-year old. Stuffing her in those juvenile pink garments makes the age discrepancy seem even worse than it is.

Sulkin looks about 35. That ozone hole sure is a bitch.

by Anonymousreply 53December 3, 2017 1:23 PM

The first episode was kind of slow but with interesting parts.

I think it's a mistake that the second episode is a re-run of the first day from different perspectives and filling in different things.

Do they keep this up? Is episode three another replay of the same day?

by Anonymousreply 54December 3, 2017 7:16 PM

R54 No, they don't use that gimmick again, thank god.

by Anonymousreply 55December 3, 2017 7:20 PM

I never expected dinosaurs.

by Anonymousreply 56December 3, 2017 8:45 PM

Since episode 1 and 2 were released at the same time I didn't mind that strategy, I thought it was an interesting way to open the show.

by Anonymousreply 57December 3, 2017 8:48 PM

[quote]I never expected dinosaurs.

I like that they are using a lot of practical effects for the dino, it is a well done puppet, rather than relying solely on CGI.

by Anonymousreply 58December 3, 2017 8:51 PM

I liked Episode 3 a lot better.

by Anonymousreply 59December 4, 2017 9:18 AM

Kevin Wiseman (purple hair's dad) has been giving the same performance in every role he's had for about 15 years now.

by Anonymousreply 60December 4, 2017 1:48 PM

The plot finally leaps forward in an action-packed episode. However, it also features some of the worst acting, dialogue, camerawork, and editing I've seen on TV in recent years. I'm talking beyond Inhumans-level bad here. Felt like I was watching a student project at times.

I FFed through the entire long-ass prison stuff at the beginning and couldn't believe they thought we'd be interested in any of that. No one's watching this show for the parents, showrunners! And the kids' responses to discovering each other's powers were pretty lame as well.

R60 Nothing wrong with having no range. Jon Bernthal did marvellous work in The Punisher with just that one note he's got.

by Anonymousreply 61December 5, 2017 11:28 PM

Well, Kip Pardue's body still looks fantastic, so there's that.

by Anonymousreply 62December 6, 2017 12:52 AM

I so want to fuck Kip Pardue. Always have. Why wasn't he a bigger star?

by Anonymousreply 63December 6, 2017 12:55 AM

Pardue's body does look fantastic but he really ought to watch his cholesterol levels and liver in general; those white toenails were a red flag if I ever saw one.

by Anonymousreply 64December 6, 2017 12:58 AM

Yeah I adore Kevin Wiseman's character, even if he keeps playing the same one.

[quote] However, it also features some of the worst acting, dialogue, camerawork, and editing I've seen on TV in recent years.

Yeah, the acting and directing can definitely feel pretty subpar, but every episode keeps me entertained. I recognize I am not watching the The Wire, just fun fluff.

At first I was surprised the gangster character wasn't more freaked out over their powers, but I forget this takes place in the "marvel cinematic universe" where they have already had Iron Man and Thor fighting off an alien invasion in New York City, it is justified that people can roll with the the fantastical elements.

by Anonymousreply 65December 6, 2017 2:12 AM

Why aren't all episodes available at once?

by Anonymousreply 66December 6, 2017 3:04 PM

Hulu doesn't release all episodes at once, that is a Netflix thing.

by Anonymousreply 67December 6, 2017 3:10 PM

[quote]Yeah, the acting and directing can definitely feel pretty subpar, but every episode keeps me entertained.

R65 See, that's the thing that shocked me. It was just this episode that felt so bad while all the ones before looked like a million bucks. Everything was wonderful. Until this one. What happened?!

by Anonymousreply 68December 6, 2017 3:32 PM

I guess I am alone with this, but I prefer the scenes with the parents over the scenes with the kids. That scene of Leslie Dean, the leader of that cult, taking her clothes off to make out with that more dead than alive man (her father?) in her closed off meditation room was some Game of Thrones creepy drama moment.

by Anonymousreply 69December 6, 2017 8:15 PM

[quote](her father?)

Not her father!! I don't know if you watched the newest one but he is her love, the father of Karolina.

by Anonymousreply 70December 6, 2017 8:18 PM

That scene of Karolina flying gave me second hand embarrassment with how cheesy and cheap it looked.

by Anonymousreply 71December 14, 2017 2:33 AM

Why couldn't the hot guy be gay?

by Anonymousreply 72December 14, 2017 2:56 AM

I ask that all the time R72

by Anonymousreply 73December 14, 2017 3:12 AM

This is like the comic book version of that ABC show Suburgatory. It would be pretty good if all the adults were off the show.

by Anonymousreply 74December 14, 2017 9:29 AM

Love the parents and conflict of being partly tortured, feeling regret, about what they have done. The kids are just being Millennial brats imo doing their brooding and moping without really confronting ther parents.

by Anonymousreply 75December 14, 2017 9:42 AM

Justin thread.

by Anonymousreply 76December 14, 2017 9:46 AM

Among the changes from the comics, why did they make the Staff of One a techno object rather than a magical object? It basically performs the same, so why make the change?

by Anonymousreply 77December 18, 2017 4:12 AM

My friend is starring on this, and even that won’t compel me to watch it after that first episode.

by Anonymousreply 78December 18, 2017 4:18 AM

R78 Is your friend one of the 'kids' or parents?

by Anonymousreply 79December 18, 2017 6:29 AM

Parents.

by Anonymousreply 80December 18, 2017 11:51 AM

There have been a couple of staffs called the Staff of One with some of the limitations with each staff being that it can't do the same spell twice and it can't bring anyone back from the dead.

by Anonymousreply 81December 18, 2017 12:08 PM

[quote]why did they make the Staff of One a techno object rather than a magical object? It basically performs the same, so why make the change?

The mom told her their company made it, but we know that is a lie as Julian McMahan's character gave it to her. So I would say they just kept it vague enough.

Marvel TV directly said they don't want them going full magic, keep it "grounded", so that seemed like a compromise.

by Anonymousreply 82December 18, 2017 12:11 PM

This is turning into some hardcore telenovela shit and I most certainly did [italic]not[/italic] sign up for that.

by Anonymousreply 83December 23, 2017 1:13 PM

I am a bit surprised that the focus seems to be more on the parents who are getting the better scenes and dialogue. The teens are just terrible. It's not even basic teen drama. And the young actors, pretending to be teens, don't exactly elevate the material they are being given. To me the parents save the show. Otherwise it would be unwatchable.

by Anonymousreply 84December 23, 2017 5:09 PM

Another Marvel show with a lesbian and no gay male characters. PASS!

by Anonymousreply 85December 23, 2017 5:37 PM

Well, now that they can reboot X-men...

by Anonymousreply 86December 23, 2017 6:44 PM

[quote]Another Marvel show with a lesbian and no gay male characters. PASS!

The lesbian storyline was also poorly written. The glowly girl is in love with Nico because the script says she is, it isn't established at all so why would the audience care?

The show was picked up for a season 2 though

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 87January 9, 2018 12:07 AM

It seems like Nico might be bi here, though.

She certainly seemed into kissing Karolina.

by Anonymousreply 88January 9, 2018 1:04 AM

every single father on the show is a DILF even carbs for marv james marsters and that's saying somerthing. He may have a fat face but it maches his fat ass which I am sure is delectable. Is Kip Pardue family?

by Anonymousreply 89January 9, 2018 1:10 AM

So the finale was a bit of a letdown. And where the hell is Nico's staff?! That's literally the most important asset/weapon they have and no one mentions it.

Anway, Cody Mayo who plays Vaughn (the guy with the cult) is a cutie and probably a DLer.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 90January 12, 2018 12:10 AM

R90 Nico's mom took the staff back in episode 9 during the construction site "battle".

by Anonymousreply 91January 12, 2018 3:58 AM

Yeah I was happy to see him get some lines in the finale r90, he was cute and pinged for me as well.

This show could use a gay male character.

by Anonymousreply 92January 12, 2018 12:23 PM

R91 I know that but why isn't stealing the staff their first priority right now? It could come in handy in so many everyday scenarios, not to mention when going against the head honcho of the cult.

by Anonymousreply 93January 12, 2018 12:36 PM

They gotta leave a plot for season 2 r93. I'm sure Nico trying to get the staff back will happen.

I did a quick look at Cody Mayo's instagram, one he is quite fit.

Two, he loves posting pics of his wife and kids.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 94January 21, 2018 6:57 PM

Finally got around to watching this. It's pretty good, especially compared to the ridiculous storyline from the comics (as detailed in Wikipedia). They did a decent job making a more realistic storyline out of it, except for a few things like the glove appearing out of nowhere and the jock being a secret genius and the "the staff is just technology!" and the jock being in love with the ugly fat girl and the ugly girl being sent to flirt with the hot guards.

I wish they'd used someone other than Julian what's his name to play Joshua - he looked too old for the part, as did James Marsters.

They seem to be bending over backwards to stress that "it's not magic! It's science!" about everything, which is a little obnoxious and obvious. And what was the point of the showdown at the end if Joshua was trying to kill his daughter (who isn't really an alien, I assume) if he's just going to turn around and save her later?

We're being led to believe she or someone is a spy, I presume. If they follow the comics it will be Alex.

Also regarding Alex, he seems pointless. The other characters all have some thing or gimmick they can use and Alex is just a computer guy. He's just some annoying kid.

I guess the new season is starting soon as I'm seeing ads for it.

by Anonymousreply 95October 12, 2018 9:07 PM

R95 I know they wanted someone larger and intimidating to play 'Jonah'.

Although he is made fun of on here, do you think Cheyenne Jackson would have been a better choice? Obviously I'm sticking with the blue eyed/dark haired villain look, not sure of his intimidation factor though.

2nd season was much better than the first, if you haven't checked it out yet--

by Anonymousreply 96January 11, 2019 3:27 AM

As already predicted when Kevin Figie was given near total control over Marvel. The Runaways has been cancelled.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 97November 18, 2019 6:49 PM

Yeah, that happened a while ago now. Didn't even bother to post, because I knew only two of us here were watching it, and I fell off the train during the second season anyway.

It never really came together for me. That other one, Cloak & Dagger, was cancelled as well.

by Anonymousreply 98November 18, 2019 7:35 PM

Oh, I have to take it back. It was indeed cancelled today, the very same day the trailer for its final season was released. I mixed it up with Cloak & Dagger, sorry!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 99November 19, 2019 12:58 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!