Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Rising ingenue Catherine Zeta-Jones travels to the Croisette to promote her upcoming Lifetime epic Cocaine Godmother

Catherine Zeta-Jones hit the Croisette today to talk up her Lifetime original movie, Cocaine Godmother. The film is directed by Guillermo Navarro and is based on the life of Miami drug lord Griselda Blanco (Zeta-Jones), one of the original “Cocaine Cowboys” who pioneered the drug trade between Colombia and the U.S. in the 70s and 80s.

The goal for Zeta-Jones was “not to homogenize her or find a sympathetic quality, because I don’t think she had one. I applaud Lifetime and A+E. It would have been easy to rose-tint this story.”

Blanco was living in Queens when she became embroiled with local drug runners. After moving to Miami to expand her empire, the death of her second husband gave rise to her nickname The Black Widow. She later moved to California, was deported to Colombia and was gunned down in 2012. During her time, Blanco’s drug distribution network spanned across the United States and she was suspected of ordering over 200 murders.

Still, there was “something fantastic about how she was the boss in a dangerous man’s world,” Zeta-Jones said. “You gotta give it to her. I remember saying as bad as she is, I’m going to make people kind of like her.”

Speaking about returning to television, Zeta-Jones, who also recently appeared in FX’s Feud, said she was “happy, lucky and blessed to be back” and that she “definitely would love to do more… Years ago, there was a stigma. I was stuck in the showgirl theater box. Eventually I made it into television in Britain and then made it to film. If you got to do film, you don’t go to TV. That has changed. Actors are able to do human stories, they don’t have to be robots for a $200M movie. This is why we do it, to have those international human stories that any culture can understand.”

The Oscar winner went through a physical transformation to play Blanco. “I gained weight, I was hunched over. If I had balls, I’d have grabbed them from time to time. I wanted to let it all hang out. She thought she was beautiful. She was the movie star starring in her own movie. She didn’t give a s***.”

The star was asked what lessons Blanco could offer to women in today’s world. Said Zeta-Jones, “As women we get knocked down for being ambitious. I often wish we could take a little bit of that true ambition and be proud of it. I wouldn’t be talking to you today if I didn’t have an inherent ambition. You make your own luck. Yes, there are people who help along the way, but weird enough, the harder I work, the luckier I get… Take credit for yourself. The humble crap is good, but it gets boring.”

Cocaine Godmother premieres in 2018 on Lifetime.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 44January 23, 2018 1:27 AM

TELEVISION??? LIFETIME??? How far we’ve fallen... it’s not even HBO or Showtime....

by Anonymousreply 1October 17, 2017 4:24 PM

I think it's wonderful for her to show her range by playing a character so much older than she is.

by Anonymousreply 2October 17, 2017 4:27 PM

This is what Griselda looked like in real life.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 3October 17, 2017 4:30 PM

This should be great! I loved the travails of Griselda and her murderous gang of thugs in Cocaine Cowboys.

Bitch got business DONE. And she may have been ugly as hell, but she managed to always have a hot young piece gettin' it done.

by Anonymousreply 4October 17, 2017 4:37 PM

Step mommy had the production company pay me a fee as an consultant for the project. Smart.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 5October 17, 2017 5:32 PM

They did Griselda a big favor in casting CZ-J. The real Griselda was big. I saw some documentary about her and she was still fucking young guys, smuggled in to her in jail. Quite a character.

by Anonymousreply 6October 17, 2017 6:27 PM

Remember that young black guy in Cali she was with for a year R6? And he actually seemed to have a thing for her too.

by Anonymousreply 7October 17, 2017 6:33 PM

R5 those tattoos make him look ridiculous, what a pussy!

by Anonymousreply 8October 17, 2017 7:10 PM

Don't forget I'm selling sheets on QVC as well!

by Anonymousreply 9October 17, 2017 7:55 PM

Fug, not big.

Damn autocorrect.

by Anonymousreply 10October 17, 2017 8:41 PM

This was suppose to be a feature and CZJ name was attached to it for a long time. Then the rights changed, and JLO snatched it up. Then it languished in development hell before rights changes hands again and CZJ was attached to it once again. But this time for cable, not as a feature.

by Anonymousreply 11October 17, 2017 8:42 PM

If push comes to shove in show business I can always play the bearded lady in a 3-ring Circus.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 12October 17, 2017 8:48 PM

She looks only OK for a woman in her 30's. You'd think with all her money, there would be procedures.

by Anonymousreply 13October 17, 2017 8:50 PM

THIRTIES?? She's fifty if she's a day.

by Anonymousreply 14October 17, 2017 8:54 PM

I am the only Grizelda worth portraying on film.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 15October 17, 2017 8:57 PM

It was hard finding life experiences to draw upon in order to do an accurate portrayal. Being 32, I couldn't imagine life as an older woman. But my tremendous acting talent saved the day!

by Anonymousreply 16October 17, 2017 9:19 PM

How proud her children must be of her work. Especially that dope fiend step kid.

by Anonymousreply 17October 17, 2017 9:42 PM

The trailer is now online. The Emmy race is over.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 18November 18, 2017 9:56 PM

Before I committed to the part, I thought about it long and hard. I asked my good friend JLaw, "As a 27-year-old, will I [italic]really[/italic] be believable in this role?"

by Anonymousreply 19November 18, 2017 10:03 PM

I saw this over the weekend, I'm surprised there isn't a current thread about it. I'm curious about CZJ's accent in the film, I don't know any Colombian women who sound like that ???. Also, apparently Griselda was into pussy!

by Anonymousreply 20January 22, 2018 6:12 AM

Unpopularity, I liked her as OdH In Feud. She played her as so fake when pretending she didn’t hate her sister.

by Anonymousreply 21January 22, 2018 6:33 AM

This could be the biggest break for a Hollywood newcomer in DECADES!

by Anonymousreply 22January 22, 2018 7:21 AM

It was great until they tried to pass off CZJ as a new mother past the halfway point of the film. It's not quite campy, but it is fun.

by Anonymousreply 23January 22, 2018 7:37 AM

Isn't a white, Welsh woman playing a Latina considered "ethnic appropriation" and constitutes LITERAL violence against racialized bodies?

by Anonymousreply 24January 22, 2018 7:38 AM

[quote]R24 Isn't a white, Welsh woman playing a Latina considered "ethnic appropriation" and constitutes LITERAL violence against racialized bodies?

You think I can't play Latina??

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 25January 22, 2018 7:55 AM

Great thread. I kind of forget what she used to look like. The fillers tend to make her eyes squish together. Plumped out skin but smaller eyes. Ye Gods

by Anonymousreply 26January 22, 2018 9:23 AM

She's gorgeous. She's always been gorgeous.

by Anonymousreply 27January 22, 2018 9:47 AM

R24, maybe the “Zeta” makes people think she’s part Spanish. She looks like she could be Latina.

by Anonymousreply 28January 22, 2018 9:56 AM

I just hope CZJ didn't see anything that a woman shouldn't see.

by Anonymousreply 29January 22, 2018 10:09 AM

You know, boys, I thought this role might propel me into the stratosphere. But I guess no one likes a talented 31 year old anymore. Back to my design studio, I feel the creative urges.

by Anonymousreply 30January 22, 2018 10:28 AM

So how was the film itself?

by Anonymousreply 31January 22, 2018 10:30 AM

The film really wasn't that bad, keep in mind it's a Lifetime movie. I found it to be very interesting, and surprisingly violent for a Lifetime movie. I just didn't understand CZJ's "Colombian" accent, she didn't sound at all Columbian/hispanic to me, I actually thought she sounded Russian or something.

by Anonymousreply 32January 22, 2018 3:52 PM

The film is good and CZJ was great. I didn't know she was in it and i didnt recognize her. so that good. Her accent was very good in fact and half our family is Hispanic.

I love that CZJ became obsessed with GB and worked years to bring the story to the screen.

by Anonymousreply 33January 22, 2018 4:11 PM

Carolina, chupa mi verga!

by Anonymousreply 34January 22, 2018 4:14 PM

R33, I love you! Yes, ever since I was 8 years old, in 1989. I have dreamed of bringing this story to the screen!

by Anonymousreply 35January 22, 2018 10:30 PM

The trailer at R18 makes it look good (not that I will watch, as it looks so much more glamorized than GB's real life).

by Anonymousreply 36January 22, 2018 10:45 PM

^^^ That ought to have been R35 rather than R33!

by Anonymousreply 37January 22, 2018 10:47 PM

My friend went to rehab with her . She’s definitely got a lot of issues and addictions but he said she was a nice celebrity and not an ass like many. Therefore I give her props and like her and am pulling for her .

by Anonymousreply 38January 22, 2018 10:50 PM

[quote]R28 maybe the “Zeta” makes people think she’s part Spanish. She looks like she could be Latina.

I am so [italic] Latina, [/italic] down south they call me [italic] LAZETA ! ! [/italic]

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 39January 22, 2018 11:13 PM

And my gays, to capitalize on my soon to be Emmy nominated TV event, my new QVC line will features muchos items focusing on my LATINA HERITAGE! Think serapes, piñatas y sombreros!

by Anonymousreply 40January 23, 2018 12:37 AM

OK. So where is Croisette place? Is that the town in France where croissants come from?

by Anonymousreply 41January 23, 2018 1:14 AM

[quote]R41 OK. So where is Croisette place?

Doesn't she get a number in Le Miz?

by Anonymousreply 42January 23, 2018 1:21 AM

41, the Promenade de la Croisette is in Cannes.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 43January 23, 2018 1:25 AM

How's Catherine?

by Anonymousreply 44January 23, 2018 1:27 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!