Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Who Else Doesn't Care about the Harvey Weinstein Situation?

I was somewhat interested when the story first broke. I commented a few times in one of the threads. Now I don't give a shit.

by Anonymousreply 89August 19, 2018 9:17 PM

Why not, OP? Do you hate women and so not care or even feel glad when they're sexually assaulted?

by Anonymousreply 1October 12, 2017 12:00 AM

I sit here with you in solidarity OP.

by Anonymousreply 2October 12, 2017 12:00 AM

NO, I think it's very interesting.

by Anonymousreply 3October 12, 2017 12:03 AM

I don't care about One Percenter problems

by Anonymousreply 4October 12, 2017 12:03 AM

r1- Get off your high horse you dumb little pot.

by Anonymousreply 5October 12, 2017 12:03 AM

If was briefly distracting, but like most of Datalounge knows- it's old news.

I'm more interested in why it's suddenly "news". Who's behind this- Ashley Judd? Failing in her previous attempts to become a politician, is she going to run on a rape platform now? A cheap grab for female votes?

by Anonymousreply 6October 12, 2017 12:07 AM

Me. And the media is going overboard (as usual) with this. Its all they are talking about on the news stations. Is this really the MOST important thing going on right now? Not with tRUMP in the White House it isn't.

by Anonymousreply 7October 12, 2017 12:10 AM

The media pisses me off. Who the fuck cares what Hillary or the Obamas say when? Talk about manufactured...

by Anonymousreply 8October 12, 2017 12:17 AM

I can see the Obamas saying something because their daughter worked with him, but who cares if Hillary got donations from him? Lots of unsavory people give money to all parties...and sometimes we even elect them as president.

by Anonymousreply 9October 12, 2017 12:19 AM

I'm surprised that attention is being paid. The casting couch has always been with us (not just in show biz) & there's never been an uproar about it before. It's about time & I'm glad that outrage is finally being expressed, but where has everyone been for the last several centuries?

by Anonymousreply 10October 12, 2017 12:24 AM

It's staying in the news because the Democrats have taken the political bait dropped by the Republicans, once again allowing the Right-Wing to control the national conversation.

by Anonymousreply 11October 12, 2017 12:26 AM

A lotta hypocrites on here I see.

by Anonymousreply 12October 12, 2017 12:27 AM

Not coming forward: all the women who took the film roles and money and jumpstarted their careers.

by Anonymousreply 13October 12, 2017 12:29 AM

r12, It is the Republican element that is hypocritical. Al Gore criticized Bill Clinton. Did Pence, Ryan, Hannity, Limbaugh, etc. condemn Trump's "Access Hollywood" words? Or his adultery with Marla?

by Anonymousreply 14October 12, 2017 12:29 AM

I'm one of the ones who doesn't care. It's wrong and should be dealt with but I don't find it shocking and I'm not going to pretend to. You want to shock me - clean up your act, whoever.

by Anonymousreply 15October 12, 2017 12:30 AM

I'm ignoring every thread on Heavy Whalestein

by Anonymousreply 16October 12, 2017 12:31 AM

I'm in the same boat. Every one in the industry knows how the game is played and knew of Harvey's behavior. Every one of the actresses had no problem playing along and keeping quiet to advance their career. It was only after their careers were over that they had regrets.

by Anonymousreply 17October 12, 2017 12:35 AM

The situation doesn't affect me. I've ignored eight threads on this. Enough of Harvey Ballwanger.

I could talk about my annual checkup visit. Great! No Drama! That doesn't affect anyone, but you wouldn't see it posted on all the news and entertainment websites.

I could talk about Dr. Robert Lustig's book [italic]The Hacking of the American Mind[/italic] which is a little related (how outrage and virality in the brief, hot and heavy news cycles depletes us, what to do to regain our attention, energy and good spirits.

What's going on with you that's more interesting than this situation we're posting that we don't care about?

by Anonymousreply 18October 12, 2017 12:35 AM

The casting couch has been around since the silent movie days and will be around long after Harvey has left the business. Don't hate the player, hate the game.

by Anonymousreply 19October 12, 2017 12:39 AM

What directors or producers of the silent movie era used the casting couch, do you know? That could be a topic some of us who don't care about the Harvey Weinstein situation would care about. I'm betting Mack Sennett was one of the first.

by Anonymousreply 20October 12, 2017 12:42 AM

I hate that word! It was a casting settee!

by Anonymousreply 21October 12, 2017 12:45 AM

It's all straight people drama.

Wake me up when the B. Singer revelations hit the fan.

by Anonymousreply 22October 12, 2017 12:46 AM

The absolute worst aspect of this tale is the publication of photos of HW's repulsive visage.

by Anonymousreply 23October 12, 2017 12:47 AM

Though it's the biggest news story of the year, people can avoid reading about it if seeing what is under the mask of Hollywood makes them uncomfortable.

by Anonymousreply 24October 12, 2017 12:49 AM

As if opera singers didn't fuck around with the classical composers of the day to get a part.

by Anonymousreply 25October 12, 2017 12:54 AM

I'm sick of it already. I live in Nashville and am not even remotely in the industry, yet I knew he was sexually harassing women, as, I'm sure, does every single powerful person in Hollywood to some degree or another. Sure, their methods might be different but I assumed it was going on every day, and that every single good looking actor -- male or female -- had to put out at some point in their career. Anyone who thought otherwise was naive. So with HW, I'm sick of all the coverage. it's more of the same...he did this, he did that. Im sick of hearing about it. And the faked shock is appalling, considering that EVERYONE had to know it was going on, if not with him, than with someone else they work with. The piling on of details and names does nothign to add to the story; it just is starting to bore me.

by Anonymousreply 26October 12, 2017 12:56 AM

Well said, R26. I'm sick of the "shock."

by Anonymousreply 27October 12, 2017 12:59 AM

Also, Ashley Judd should be way more angry with her plastic surgeon.

by Anonymousreply 28October 12, 2017 1:02 AM

OMG! I can't stand it!! The media's new shiny toy. They think that's more important than Trump and the GOP planning on destroying Medicaid cutting more than half it's budget and taking a quarter of Medicare's budget and huge cuts to housing and food stamps and everything else that maybe about 150 million people depend on together. And why to all the money they get from murdering the poor and middle class to the top 1%.

WTF isn't that the lead story everywhere except FOX.!

by Anonymousreply 29October 12, 2017 1:03 AM

Oh, please. It's not just Hollywood. It's a power game, lest we forget the Clarence Thomas, Navy Tailhook, Senator Bob Packwood, Bill O'Reilly, etc.

by Anonymousreply 30October 12, 2017 1:05 AM

Mostly has-beens or never-was. Any one of these women could have opened up their mouths at anytime, too late for a pity party here. They all have plenty of money, plenty of connections, and seemed to have been able to hold it together well enough to smile for the camera as they stood next to him. Shame on every one of them for enabling for as long as they all have. My eyes see a bunch of enablers, not victims.

by Anonymousreply 31October 12, 2017 1:07 AM

It's not harassment if both parties consent.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 32October 12, 2017 1:18 AM

I think it's laughable the Republicans and their media keep calling for Dems to return his contributions. They think they're still campaigning.

If you returned every morally corrupt person's money you'd have $1.98 left.

The hell I will.

by Anonymousreply 33October 12, 2017 1:22 AM

R29 said it best. Now can we move on.

I am done with this particular revolution of the news cycle.

by Anonymousreply 34October 12, 2017 1:28 AM

Judd, Jolie, Paltrow, McGowan... these women are nothing! As the above Reply 31 said, they are has-beens. Over the hill. Over 30!!! So why care?

Now let's go back to the important business of expressing our righteous indignation about Trump. Wasn't there some 10-year-old who said he raped her? Surely by now there would be some evidence. Right?

by Anonymousreply 35October 12, 2017 1:36 AM

Tale as old as time.I found the audio tape of him more sad than chilling. Why didnt he just hire high class hookers like everybody else ?

by Anonymousreply 36October 12, 2017 1:42 AM

R1, get the fuck out of here with that feminist trolling.

by Anonymousreply 37October 12, 2017 1:43 AM

I'm tired of it because there are so many more important things going on, esp. since he's lost his job and his wife. Unlike Cosby who is still denying it, he copped to it and is taking his punishment. Meanwhile, Puerto Ricans are dying because FEMA won't get the help they need. Rachel Maddow has been staying on this and Stephen Greenhouse as well, but the celeb sucker wannabe media jerks are following around the famous demanding they make statements about Weinstein. And there's election fraud with more details emerging, healthcare and a lot of policy issues. but those entitled lazy people calling themselves journalists would actually have to read something and think about it instead of gossip.

by Anonymousreply 38October 12, 2017 1:44 AM

This situation is a microcosm of what’s wrong with the US and the entire world. This demonstrates what those in power with more money and influence can and often do to those with less money and influence. From that perspective, it’s fascinating, IMO.

by Anonymousreply 39October 12, 2017 1:52 AM

I also think it is somewhat interesting. Also the women who are claiming all this abuse and I am speaking of the well known actresses I feel like there is more to this and how much did they play along with him. Has anyone heard Jennifer Lawrence put in her two cents yet? Word is a lot of famous women are nervous because of text photos and videos that he possesses and they willingly sent to him.

by Anonymousreply 40October 12, 2017 1:58 AM

Any abuse of power is terrible, but this pales in comparison to the fucking the GOP is giving the country. More bread and circuses to distract. The media, starting with campaign coverage and focus on the clown, should be deeply ashamed.

by Anonymousreply 41October 12, 2017 2:12 AM

I do feel like there's this piling on going on now. I mean I saw a headline that Ben Affleck had to apologize for some groping he did in 2003. Instead of letting stuff like this fester for 14 years why not demand the apology in 2003. But what's really going on is that a lot of the people complaining today made a choice and they chose having a profession and becoming a star over filing a complaint or they took a payoff and now years later they have regrets, especially as their career is on the downslide.

I'm not a Weinstein apologist. He seems like a despicable man. But the only way he could continue to be a despicable man was that no one was willing to go on the record at the time of the incident. In addition, I don't believe for one second that he's the only bad boy in Hollywood. They're all like this to some extent.

I'm pretty much over the story now. It's Hollywood's problem and it's up to them to clean up their act. If there's a crime committed get the police involved. But right now I'm more concerned with what that troll Trump is doing to this country.

by Anonymousreply 42October 12, 2017 2:14 AM

Yes, everybody knew about his pussy grabbing ways. But, it's not just about that. He is a bully who got off on humiliating people, men just as much as women, was horrible toward his employees, a pretty odious human being on the whole. People are just expressing schadenfreude. What part of a "gossip board" don't you understand? As a non-American, I'd rather read about this than endless race-baiting, alt-right troll started threads, pro vs anti Hillary stuff which is just repeating the same old, same old. In the grand scheme of things, I don't care about the HW story *that* much but I don't come to this board to have very deep philosophical, scientific, and political discussions - I have other fora for that.

by Anonymousreply 43October 12, 2017 2:25 AM

Nope. Don't care. Terrible what happened to the women but 30-40 fucking threads about him on DL is too much.

by Anonymousreply 44October 12, 2017 2:29 AM

I really don't care at all, it is old news and it happens over and over again. And when it happened with Trump, pretty much no one cared. You know ladies, if a guy rapes you, touches you, attacks you, SAY SOMETHING! Don't war a goddamn 20 years.

The 8 who received a settlement, GOOD FOR THEM. They were smart.

by Anonymousreply 45October 12, 2017 2:35 AM

I find it interesting, I'm waiting for actual rape and subsequent abortion he had to pay for story to come out, you know it has to be there somewhere.

by Anonymousreply 46October 12, 2017 2:36 AM

This story resonates with people because it's about a bully who exerted his power over his staff, over women, over men, over those who couldn't fight back and now he is getting his much-deserved comeuppance.

Those who have been bullied and/or sexually assaulted are enjoying watching Weinstein crumble because there is a certain satisfaction seeing justice being served to a bully/rapist.

by Anonymousreply 47October 12, 2017 2:41 AM

It's a big stone dropped in a big body of water... so there are plenty of ripples in all directions. How the media's handling it can be interesting.

In general I have little respect for the NYT and WaPo, much as this was a Times story, but I was surprised to see a columnist from each paper making a public reference to something on a (Lainey?) gossip site.

Ostensibly serious, professional top-level journalists regurgitating a blind item from a shoddy gossip site struck me as grim, much as it's not the first or second time Margaret Sullivan and Ross Douthat have been nasty assholes.

by Anonymousreply 48October 12, 2017 2:51 AM

It's been a tough year so far and I only have a handful of fucks left to give. I cant waste any of them on this nonsense.

by Anonymousreply 49October 12, 2017 2:51 AM

I'm loving all the coverage OP

by Anonymousreply 50October 12, 2017 2:54 AM

I am over it. It’s good that the women came forward and he ran away but it’s not as important a story as environmental disasters or the daily disaster that is Trump. I actually think it will be forgotten in a week or two because there will be some other shocking news event.

by Anonymousreply 51October 12, 2017 3:10 AM

I care about getting rid of Trump and THAT is all I care about.

by Anonymousreply 52October 12, 2017 3:37 AM

Don't care either.

I

by Anonymousreply 53October 12, 2017 3:50 AM

Until he either presents hole or we have pix of his dreaded cock, I don't care.

by Anonymousreply 54October 12, 2017 3:52 AM

Everyone in show business is a whore I don’t see why this is news. Mentally stable people do not go into show business, unless it’s to make money and then get the hell out.

by Anonymousreply 55October 12, 2017 3:53 AM

Even if you are fresh off the bus from Iowa, you know what's going to go down if you meet up with a studio head or producer in his hotel room. That's not a legitimate place of business.

by Anonymousreply 56October 12, 2017 3:59 AM

"Mentally stable people...make money and then get the hell out."

Worked for me.

by Anonymousreply 57October 12, 2017 4:42 AM

I've seen a lot of threads where people were called trolls or PR hacks or company shills and I thought they were regular posters having fun. This time I believe we are seeing the real thing by the several posts complaining about too many threads on Harvey. Maybe I've been reading DL too long.

by Anonymousreply 58October 12, 2017 4:51 AM

OP, are you kiddding? This is going to be one of the top news stories of the year.

by Anonymousreply 59October 12, 2017 4:53 AM

Yawn. It’s already getting down to D-listers

by Anonymousreply 60October 12, 2017 5:02 AM

This much ado about nothing. If his actions were so terrible, then why didn't more of these women go the police. Instead. They accepted hush money.

by Anonymousreply 61October 12, 2017 5:03 AM

If it helps towards cleaning up the industry, then yeah I care because I'll always want these abusers punished wherever they are. What I find difficult to get past is the fact the biggest abuser is currently sitting in the Whitehouse, in plain sight.

by Anonymousreply 62October 12, 2017 5:10 AM

I do and I don't. It bugs me that Hollywood was silent for decades. And talking about this and inevitably donald trump it makes me think of Bill Clinton. And he was a sexual predator too. And just like the republicans excuse trump, the democrats excused Clinton.

These guys were all wrong

by Anonymousreply 63October 12, 2017 5:55 AM

Given the choice of following the intricate details of a white male mass murderer in Vegas or a fat fuck entertainment mogul .... as a GAY MAN I'm following the Harvey saga. Also way more ripe for pointless bitchery--rather than butchery

by Anonymousreply 64October 12, 2017 6:14 AM

I was interested at first, but now, I'm over it. Every day, another 'victim' shares her story, ad infinitum. He's in the wrong, of course. But many of the victims who've come forward can be found in photos happily hugging and kissing him at different events. If people had started speaking up a long time ago, he couldn't have continued with this shit as long as he did. So there's a lot of complicity here. Ultimately, this has become a distraction from more important issues, like Hurricane relief, the fires that are still raging in California, the current administration's threats to shut a TV Network down, things that actually matter. Just like the NFL issue has been a distraction.

by Anonymousreply 65October 12, 2017 6:49 AM

I love the coverage and hope it widens to encompass dozens of Hollywood weasels, and produces one enthralling shit-bomb after another into 2018.

by Anonymousreply 66October 12, 2017 7:10 AM

I hope that this scandal forces Hollywood & the Entertainment industry (or government) to put some checks in place to curb the power of these men. I understand that the casting couch has been around a long time, but with the Weinstein Saga it's out in the daylight. Cosby, Fox, etc.-this is a systemic problem. But I also agree that we need a bit of perspective. Trump is talking about using nuclear weapons and his insanity is deepening.

by Anonymousreply 67October 12, 2017 7:57 AM

Bah, I read too much DataLounge last night and dreamt Burt Reynolds beat me up, sexually assaulted me and threatened to kill me if I told anyone. I spent the rest of the dream searching for escape. Some shorter guy told me "It's true, no one will believe you. The aggressor, if he's popular, will always triumph. You're screwed."

I shall ignore all but the fluff topics (e.g. Scary Story; word usage, punctuation and grammar matters; Death Pools 2017 and 2018; food) for a bit.

by Anonymousreply 68October 12, 2017 3:07 PM

I'm getting really tired of the endless threads too.

by Anonymousreply 69October 12, 2017 3:52 PM

"One enthralling shit-bomb after another"

Better that kind of bomb than...

by Anonymousreply 70October 12, 2017 11:31 PM

I never heard of him before all this. And he's ugly as homemade sin.

by Anonymousreply 71October 12, 2017 11:44 PM

[quote] I never heard of him before all this.

It's great that citizens of North Korea can now access the outside world via Internet.

by Anonymousreply 72October 12, 2017 11:48 PM

Me! Casting couch...like this is new?

by Anonymousreply 73October 12, 2017 11:49 PM

Bump!

by Anonymousreply 74October 14, 2017 4:07 AM

OP: Typical selfish man.

by Anonymousreply 75October 14, 2017 5:23 AM

I was over it but now it seems to be shutting down productions. We only have to fear Republicans trying to shut off media.

by Anonymousreply 76October 14, 2017 5:26 AM

I care more about finding out who actually did fuck him and get a career out of it.

by Anonymousreply 77October 14, 2017 5:26 AM

I want to hear more nasty details.

by Anonymousreply 78October 14, 2017 5:28 AM

Of course you don't care. It's only about women and sexual assault. No "big deal", really.

This thread is full of assholes.

by Anonymousreply 79October 14, 2017 5:31 AM

It's sort of sad, then becomes boring because it is indicative of the lack of morals America has embraced particularly by the 1% surrounded by wannabes...seeking fame fortune or sustaining it. Pop Culture will bring this country down to its knees.

by Anonymousreply 80October 14, 2017 5:33 AM

r77 same here. We're all thinking it anyway.

by Anonymousreply 81October 14, 2017 5:53 AM

Jennifer Lawrence owes her career and her Oscars to Harvey, who obviously took all of her nude photos, regardless of her forced P.R. statement.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 82October 14, 2017 6:12 AM

I never gave a shit, OP. I've put around 60 Weinstein threads on ignore.

by Anonymousreply 83October 14, 2017 9:04 AM

Yes. It’s over. People keep posting the same half-baked theories and judgements about actresses without any knowledge of their own. The threads also bring out the Jew haters.

by Anonymousreply 84October 15, 2017 3:56 PM

The whole thing is overblown. It's just a sideshow, and an excuse for sanctimonious outrage.

by Anonymousreply 85October 15, 2017 4:45 PM

This is Hollywood. You don't get on the A-list by talent alone.

by Anonymousreply 86October 15, 2017 10:59 PM

Saving all his emails from his accuser changed the game, the man's a dammed genius, sleazy but savvy.

by Anonymousreply 87August 19, 2018 9:16 PM

I care so little I'm reading and posting on this thread!

by Anonymousreply 88August 19, 2018 9:16 PM

Hell, I'll even start another thread about how little I care!

by Anonymousreply 89August 19, 2018 9:17 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!