Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Patron saint of penis, Damon Lindelof, gets a "Watchmen" pilot ordered from HBO.

Sure we already got the Snyder movie adaptation, but I'm intrigued to see what he would do with the story.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 77October 24, 2019 12:29 AM

Character details for the pilot. FIlming begins next month.

[quote]Angela Abraham: African-American female cop. Independent and intelligent, she’s also a realist. She’s married to Cal, with whom she has a daughter and is fiercely protective of them both.

[quote]Cal Abraham: African-American male who is the stay-at-home husband of Angela. While he seems at home as the king of his castle and being a loving husband and father, it’s clear his past has a different story to tell.

[quote]Looking Glass: A good looking cop, the native Oklahoman isn’t simple as his rural accent makes him appear to be. A top interrogator and behavioral scientist, he may also be a bit of a sociopath.

[quote]Panda: An ethnic desk cop, he’s cynical and tough and puts his job first. Not a friend to many, he uses comedy to keep people at bay.

[quote]Red Scare: Mafioso, track suit wearing cop. His Russian accent lends to his abrasiveness.

[quote]Pirate Jenny: An androgynous and lustful bisexual cop, Jenny is an anarchist at heart.

[quote]Jane Crawford: The wife of the police chief, Judd, Jane is a veterinarian who’s sharper than her guarded persona lets on.

[quote]Old Man: A former cop who is still an imposing figure despite his age.

Please make Panda gay, thank you.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 1April 28, 2018 3:00 PM

Big Watchmen fan - of the book. Don't date see the film.

But why patron saint of the penis? Please catch me up!

by Anonymousreply 2April 28, 2018 3:20 PM

r2 Why haven't you seen the movie yet? That floppy penis constantly pulling focus is worth it alone. I loved the movie, though I'm not familiar with the source material.

No idea what the title of the thread refers to.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 3April 29, 2018 1:03 AM

MORE SUPERHERO MOVIES!

MORE MORE MORE!!!!

by Anonymousreply 4April 29, 2018 1:08 AM

Teaser. Debuts this fall.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 5May 8, 2019 6:09 PM

Might be good. Couldn't be worse than the movie.

by Anonymousreply 6May 8, 2019 6:11 PM

Crudupdong, r3?

by Anonymousreply 7May 8, 2019 6:18 PM

I'm intrigued, definitely going to check it out.

by Anonymousreply 8May 8, 2019 6:21 PM

r7 But Lindelof wasn't involved in the Watchmen movie, so how does that make sense?

by Anonymousreply 9May 8, 2019 6:22 PM

I did not name him "Patron Saint of Penis," r9.

by Anonymousreply 10May 8, 2019 6:24 PM

r10 I know, I was just responding because you provided a possible explanation.

OP, are you still alive? This needs to be cleared up right now!

by Anonymousreply 11May 8, 2019 6:26 PM

I would think patron saint of penis refers to when Lindelof was pushing his Leftovers show for Emmy nominations back in 2017. In exchange for nominations he'd show Theroux naked.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 12May 8, 2019 6:26 PM

r12 Ah, that makes sense. Some clarity, at last.

by Anonymousreply 13May 8, 2019 6:30 PM

Was there dong in The Leftovers? Actual dong, that is, not just VPL?

by Anonymousreply 14May 8, 2019 6:31 PM

I can't remember if I created this thread or not, but Lindelof has spoken about how TV needs more male nudity

[quote]There’s an incredible disproportion between naked women and naked men on television,” he said. “And if you’re going to do a show on HBO, which is one of the few places where you can do full frontal nudity, there’s no excuse not to show more dongs. I’m passionate about it.”

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 15May 8, 2019 6:42 PM

I wish he'd been able to put Matthew Fox's dong on full display. I imagine Matthew would not have minded.

by Anonymousreply 16May 8, 2019 6:43 PM

r15 That's great. He has all the ingredients now so there's no excuse not to titillate us with a dong or two or three.

by Anonymousreply 17May 8, 2019 6:49 PM

Several actors on the Leftovers showed their cocks including hottie Chris Zylka.

by Anonymousreply 18May 8, 2019 6:55 PM

Pretty excited for this.

by Anonymousreply 19May 8, 2019 6:57 PM

So we'll get to see real, actual Crudupdong?

by Anonymousreply 20May 8, 2019 6:58 PM

Just found out Tom Mison is in this. I'm in!

Needless to say, his is the dong we need to see first.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 21May 8, 2019 7:08 PM

Billy Crudup played Dr. Manhattan in the Watchmen movie, r20. That came out in 2009; Damon Lindelof was not involved.

Lindelof is the creative force behind the new Watchmen TV show, which is not an adaptation of the Alan Moore/Dave Gibbons comic book. Rather it appears to be a sequel of sorts or at least takes place in the same universe.

Lindelof was dubbed the patron saint of penis because he has spoken in the past about the need to show more male frontal nudity in mainstream productions, and has backed up that stance by doing so on his previous HBO series, The Leftovers.

Do you now understand?

by Anonymousreply 22May 8, 2019 7:08 PM

Looking through the cast, I don't see anyone named Dr. Manhattan / Jon Osterman, so I guess the TV series won't go as cosmic as the movie? I'm fine with that.

by Anonymousreply 23May 8, 2019 7:10 PM

It's not perfect, but I just loved the movie. I did read the graphic novel in the 1980, and was a big fan. Two friends (unfamiliar with the book) and I saw the movie in the theater. While I was greatly entertained, they both thought it must have been a psychological experiment testing how bad a movie can humans withstand. Jeffrey Dean Morgan, Matthew Goode, and Patrick Wilson all look great in it. Jackie Earle Haley gave a very good performance. If you liked the graphic novel, more than likely you will enjoy the movie. Don't be afraid, R2!

by Anonymousreply 24May 8, 2019 8:50 PM

[quote] the new Watchmen TV show, which is not an adaptation of the Alan Moore/Dave Gibbons comic book. Rather it appears to be a sequel of sorts or at least takes place in the same universe.

Alan Moore involved or ok with this?

by Anonymousreply 25May 9, 2019 12:41 AM

r25 No and no.

[quote]Lindelof described the series as absurd, nasty and eclectic in a letter to fans back in May. His essay addressed Moore, Gibbons and his own hesitations about “adapting” Watchmen, and he explained how he intends to overhaul the source material.

[quote]“I am also looking for an elegant way to escape from this device of quantum observance, a device appropriated from Mr. Moore so that I can speak to those fans from the bottom of my cold thieving heart,” Lindelof explained. “I owed him an explanation as to why I’m defying his wishes and to humbly ask him not to place a curse on me because he knows magic and apparently, he can do that. His response, or whether he responded at all, is between he and I. Suffice to say, even before I sent it, Mr. Moore had made it abundantly clear that he doesn't want anyone to ‘adapt’ his work. To do so is hubris. Worse yet, it’s unethical.”

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 26May 9, 2019 12:48 AM

Heh, did Moore approve. You must not be very familiar with Moore r25, not a chance in hell he would approve.

by Anonymousreply 27May 9, 2019 1:07 AM

Jackie Earle Haley has been great in pretty much everything, aside from that terrible Nightmare On Elm Street reboot.

by Anonymousreply 28May 9, 2019 2:16 AM

If Moore doesn't approve how is this project being greenlit?

by Anonymousreply 29May 9, 2019 10:36 AM

r29 Because it doesn't belong to him.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 30May 9, 2019 10:52 AM

Damon is one of the few people I know that ended up famous. I knew him back when he was a script reader for a production company. He's actually a good guy. I'm happy for his success. I know he has frustrated a lot of fans of different film genres. It's cool that someone that wanted to make it in movies actually did, it's such a crap shoot.

by Anonymousreply 31May 9, 2019 11:40 AM

[quote]Was there dong in The Leftovers? Actual dong, that is, not just VPL?

Yes. For example:

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 32May 9, 2019 12:16 PM

Will it have gay characters?

by Anonymousreply 33May 9, 2019 2:31 PM

r33 Hope so. They should just go ahead and make Adrian Veidt (Jeremy Irons) gay. I read his character like that in the movie, though of course Snyder intended the flamboyant elements to signal his corrupt nature rather than celebrate his fabulousness, the cunt that he is. There was also some insinuation that he likes "boys", as in young boys.

Tom Mison's character being gay would be pretty great as well.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 34May 9, 2019 2:42 PM

Why, he looks like a regular DLer in this shot!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 35May 9, 2019 2:43 PM

Who else finds Damon hot?

by Anonymousreply 36May 9, 2019 4:16 PM

r36 I do!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 37May 9, 2019 4:20 PM

Trailer, finally. Looks okay, I guess. Starts in October.

I thought that was Jean Smart but no, it's Frances Fisher.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 38July 20, 2019 7:01 PM

I am the patron saint of the penis. I prevent them from being mutilated.

by Anonymousreply 39July 20, 2019 8:06 PM

I know I'm in the minority but I enjoyed the movie.

by Anonymousreply 40July 20, 2019 8:50 PM

So it is in the 'Watchmen universe.............so they got the title and made up a new story with zero returning characters?

by Anonymousreply 41July 20, 2019 9:31 PM

r41 Zero returning characters? Did you not see Dr Manhattan in the trailer? Jeremy Irons is playing Adrian Veidt as well.

by Anonymousreply 42July 20, 2019 9:37 PM

R42 Thanks, no I didn't as I adore the graphic novel and this scares me

So if Jerry is Ozymandius it is set after the events of 'Watchmen'?

by Anonymousreply 43July 20, 2019 9:50 PM

Yes, the show takes place after the events of the Watchmen. It can be considered a sequel.

by Anonymousreply 44July 21, 2019 1:23 AM

R44 Thank you, will be interesting

by Anonymousreply 45July 21, 2019 1:34 AM

I'm just wondering how this will differentiate itself from The Boys on Amazon, and vice versa.

by Anonymousreply 46July 21, 2019 1:35 AM

[quote]I know I'm in the minority but I enjoyed the movie.

7.6 at IMDb tells you are most certainly not in the minority. It's not a perfect film but it's extremely well made.

by Anonymousreply 47July 21, 2019 1:37 AM

R47 Didn't they cut telepathic giant alien vagina monster from the film?

by Anonymousreply 48July 21, 2019 1:49 AM

[bold]‘Watchmen’ Comic Creator ‘Not Thrilled’ About Adaptation, HBO’s Casey Bloys Says[/bold]

[quote]Alan Moore, whose popular graphic novel “Watchmen” will provide the basis for an HBO drama created by Damon Lindelof, is “not thrilled” about the new project, HBO programming president Casey Bloys said Wednesday.

[quote]That’s not a surprise: Moore has famously opposed attempts to adapt his work for the screen. Asked if Moore has changed his stance, Bloys said no. “I think that remains the case. That he’s not thrilled,” Bloys said in a Television Critics Association Q&A. Bloys added that Moore isn’t consulting on the show. Again, no surprise.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 49July 24, 2019 10:55 PM

It's the Boys that needs to be concerned r46, the Watchmen comes with a built in fanbase of people familiar with the property. And Amazon Prime has yet to really have a break through hit.

by Anonymousreply 50July 24, 2019 11:12 PM

[quote]#Watchmen sizzle at #TCA19 confirms Jean Smart is playing Silk Spectre. She says: "I used to dress up" and fight crime and we see an Andy Warhol rendering of the Watchmen—Manhattan, Nite Owl, Silk Spectre, etc.

Damn, so my eyes didn't deceive me at r38. It's just that no one has bothered to add this gig to Smart's credits on IMDb yet.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 51July 25, 2019 12:28 AM

R51 Silk Spectre is a drunken slut, so Jean is perfect

by Anonymousreply 52August 31, 2019 9:04 PM

More Bisexual females? No thanks.

WATCHMEN fan passing on this because of the tired bisexual females without gay men being represented.

by Anonymousreply 53August 31, 2019 9:06 PM

Premieres October 20.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 54September 3, 2019 7:15 PM

'Watchmen': Damon Lindelof Suggests His HBO Drama May Last Only One Season

Erm, what is going on? Is this thing going to suck so hard, he's preemptively making excuses for why there won't be a second season?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 55October 5, 2019 10:13 AM

All he's saying, r55, is that the first season tells a full story and wouldn't necessarily need a second season.

Lindelof got burned so hard by his efforts to keep "Lost" going that I imagine he's now forever skittish about the idea of an open-ended series commitment.

by Anonymousreply 56October 6, 2019 5:07 PM

Reviews are quite positive

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 57October 15, 2019 3:08 PM

Another review

by Anonymousreply 58October 15, 2019 3:09 PM

Left off link

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 59October 15, 2019 3:10 PM

Article in The New York Times about Watchmen -- the source material and the movie -- and how they shook things up.

And yes, the reviews do seem promising.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 60October 16, 2019 10:04 PM

Like It or Not, Damon Lindelof Made His Own Watchmen. And he’s pretty sure Alan Moore put a hex on him for doing it.

He looks kinda hot in this photo. 🤐

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 61October 17, 2019 5:59 PM

🚨🚨🚨

Tom Mison full frontal CONFIRMED, honey! It's apparently... something to behold and he spends quite a bit of time naked. Trump regime notwithstanding, we truly are living in the best possible timeline. 🙏

I will of course post it here in HD as soon as it graces our screens.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 62October 19, 2019 12:39 AM

Well, what did you think of that premiere? I thought it was much, much better than those shitty trailers made it out to be, though I don't know if it's one of the best pilots ever, as Reddit has been crowing today.

Loved the camerawork in particular.

by Anonymousreply 63October 21, 2019 10:55 AM

Probably better to move to the more recent thread as this thread is so old it is hard to find in a search.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 64October 21, 2019 12:33 PM

Excellent premiere. The racial politics and commentary are fascinating and provocative. It’s visually stunning with lots of nods to the comic. King is a force and Don Johnson was terrifically charismatic. The scene where he snorts coke was a nice throwback to Miami Vice.

No peen in the premiere, but the camera did linger on Yahya Abdul-Mateen’s very fine ass in the scene where he’s fucking Regina.

by Anonymousreply 65October 21, 2019 12:46 PM

[quote]Trump regime notwithstanding, we truly are living in the best possible timeline.

That's a pretty big "notwithstanding."

That's like Mary Todd Lincoln saying, "Despite my husband's assassination, 'Our American Cousin' was a pretty good production."

by Anonymousreply 66October 21, 2019 1:07 PM

r66 Heh, I know, I was being facetious. 😄

by Anonymousreply 67October 21, 2019 1:23 PM

Mison is playing a robot, correct?

r65 And what a fine ass it was.

by Anonymousreply 68October 21, 2019 1:24 PM

In The Weeks Ahead preview. Man, I am ready to see Jean Smart investigate the shit out of... well, anything, really. Why does that Japanese (Korean?) actress look so familiar to me?

Not looking forward to the blue guy making an appearance. Omnipotent characters rub me the wrong way.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 69October 21, 2019 1:31 PM

I'd considered watching despite my dislike for the movie when I heard Regina King was the lead, but Jean Smart is an automatic yes from me. Her performance would make watching a Michael Bay robot/toy movie worthwhile. Promise of the Full Monty from Tom Mison is just a bonus.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 70October 21, 2019 1:50 PM

I bet Jean Smart could pull off a sex scene. - with lots of dong.

by Anonymousreply 71October 21, 2019 1:55 PM

Every time I think of actresses who ought to be dug up and made huge like Lange under Murphy, Jean Smart is always up there on the top of that list. She's just great.

by Anonymousreply 72October 21, 2019 1:59 PM

My biggest complaint about Noah Hawley is that he WASTED having her in Season 2 of [italic]Legion[/italic]. Dude, when you have an actress of that caliber available to you, you don't just show her silently huffing opium smoke on a couch for 9 episodes!

by Anonymousreply 73October 21, 2019 2:07 PM

[quote]you don't just show her silently huffing opium smoke on a couch for 9 episodes!

Haha! And yeah, totally agree. That choice was incomprehensible to me as well.

by Anonymousreply 74October 21, 2019 2:09 PM

does the boys show cock or ass?

tho ide settle for the cock or ass of jean smart....

by Anonymousreply 75October 21, 2019 2:33 PM

[bold]Watchmen Is the Latest Comic-Based TV Series to Get Review Bombed[/bold]

[quote]Judging by the audience versus critical ratings on sites like Rotten Tomatoes, it seems like Watchmen might be the latest comic book adaptation to be review bombed by angry fans. Despite sitting at a 93% Fresh rating from critics, the HBO miniseries is scored at 49% by audiences.

[quote]While there are a number of audience reviews that seem to voice genuine reservations and criticisms of the new show, many others are complaints about the show's perceived "politically correct" update for 2019. "Watchmen? More like Wokemen," one reviewer wrote. Another added, "This show is a wolf in sheep's clothing. Has nothing to do with Marvel or DC comics. Rather it's a show which attempts to further a flawed political liberal narrative about who the good and bad guys are in today's society."

This is why we can't have nice things.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 76October 24, 2019 12:25 AM

Eh, let the internet trolls complain. No one cares.

by Anonymousreply 77October 24, 2019 12:29 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!