Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

The Note 8 : Your thoughts? Do you hate Bixby?

I've only had the phone six days, so I haven't played around with all the new features yet. As such, I'll start with the bad points:

■ The dedicated Bixby button. I hate Siri and don't want to accidentally launch this inescapable Samsung app.

More later..

by Anonymousreply 14October 17, 2018 4:49 AM

I have a Galaxy, and I was curious about it. I thought it could locate the manufacturer of a particular merchandise, because I snapped a pic of an item I wanted. Then, the Bixby logo appears saying it can locate the merchant or something.

by Anonymousreply 1September 20, 2017 5:19 AM

OP, Samsung released an update where you can deactivate the Bixby button.

I still have the iPhone 6 Plus. I have been wavering between going with the iPhone X or the Note 8 and I keep going back and forth. I'm kind of iPhone-d out but all my friends use iPhone and they'd never forgive me if I don't have Facetime or iMessage. Plus, I'm also worried about the inevitable lags that Androids have about a year in, and transferring all my GBS of data from iPhone to Note 8.

by Anonymousreply 2September 23, 2017 10:14 PM

The iphone 8 8 plus and x have the a11 bionic processor in it and it runs rings around any qualcom or other android cpu (and I am an android guy). It is faster than the processor in the mac book...I might switch to an 8plus just for that. I have an s8+ now bixby was a pain in the ass Kept hitting it by accident, Also the fingerprint reader is in the shittiest place on that and the note 8 - The one thing I am waiting for is real world battery life comparison - if the 8 plus can do as well as the s8+ I am sold. One dark horse is the LGV30 - It is beating the samsungs in battery life - has an oled display and possibly the best camera of any smart phone.

by Anonymousreply 3September 23, 2017 10:22 PM

I've always been an iPhone person, but I want a fucking headphone jack. So I bought the s8. Really loving it. The bixby shit is annoying, but Samsung pay is fucking amazing. The screen is also gorgeous. I also like that it doesn't autocorrect every fuck to duck. I'm sold.

by Anonymousreply 4September 23, 2017 10:37 PM

Bumping to keep this in play.

I miss my Note 4, HATE my "ducking" LG, but not enough to cough up 1000 bucks for the Note 8.

Thanks for being our guinea pigs.

by Anonymousreply 5September 24, 2017 2:29 AM

Bixby was the only reason I returned mine after 5 days and got an iPhone.

by Anonymousreply 6September 24, 2017 2:58 AM

I bought an S8 three weeks ago. So far I'm loving it although I so wish it had stereo speakers. I also got the Samsung Fast Charge Wireless Charging Convertible Stand (yikes!) and it's just awesome. I needed the stand since I need to see the screen all the time while I'm working, and incorporating wireless charging with it works perfectly.

I've never really been fan of the Samsung GUI and I ended up replacing it with Nova Launcher, like I did on my last phone, Moto G, as well. That said Samsung TouchWiz or Samsung UX, whatever the current name of the GUI is, is not really that bad but I've never understood why they have to make all the elements on these huge screens so big. You can rarely fit multiple widgets on a screen since most elements are so fucking huge.

by Anonymousreply 7September 24, 2017 3:15 AM

[quote]Samsung released an update where you can deactivate the Bixby button.

Good to know. I've been told that people had hacks to deactivate it but no way to repurpose it.

There's a different charging jack (USB Type C) but you can still use your old Samsung fast chargers with the supplied adapter. Been very impressed with power usage and battery life this far.

R7 They're sending me a wireless charger. Wasn't sure if I'd like it but it's free, anyway. Great to hear it's awesome.

On a very minor note, no pun intended, I like the color and smooth feel of the phone. "Orchid Grey," emphasis on grey, not orchid (see link). I hated to put a cover on it but knew I should. I'm using a clear Spigen cover now so you can see the color and have another clear case from Samsung on backorder.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 8September 24, 2017 3:34 AM

I have a "pure Android" Nexus 6P. It was a great phone for a while, but now the battery has just tanked. My previous phone was a Galaxy Note 2, so I'd consider switching back to Samsung but for the fact that it doesn't work with Project Fi, which I love. So I think I have to consider the Pixel 2 XL.

by Anonymousreply 9September 24, 2017 7:47 PM

One thing to note - the iphon X has an amoled screen but is 1/4 of the brightness of the s8 s8+ in terms or nits. Meaning you can seen your s8 screen in sunlight your 1000 Iphone X - yeah not so much. Also they support fast charging but you have to buy the 84 dollar fast charger -

The s8 s8+ note 8 are not all that cheaper than an iphone. Want an amoled fast phone with a great camera and the fastest charging time? Get a oneplus 5 -

by Anonymousreply 10September 26, 2017 3:34 AM

[quote]Get a oneplus 5 -

Is the display still installed upside down causing the jelly effect?

by Anonymousreply 11September 27, 2017 6:00 PM

This review loves Samsung's soft Alcantara case. Retro note: Alcantara is the Italian trademark for what used to be called Ultrasuede in the US.

Halston used to make clothing from the fabric in the 1970s. In fact, it was so associated with him, "Ultrasuede" was the name of a documentary about the designer.

I wouldn't want this case, though, because the whole bottom is unprotected where the charging port and earbud jack are. Also, I like the OP's orchid grey phone so I'd get a clear case, too.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 12September 28, 2017 2:22 AM

Have used both and iPhone X rules

by Anonymousreply 13October 17, 2018 2:44 AM

So, is there a way to deactivate Bixby for Galaxy owners with phones that are within a year or two old?

by Anonymousreply 14October 17, 2018 4:49 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!