Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

At an Indian wedding...

I went to an interesting Indian wedding last night. It was very contemporary, held at a resort hotel’s swimming pool area, decorated with brightly colored props. The bride and (a co-worker) groom were dressy-casual in Western dress, as was 90% of the guests. I didn’t get the memo. I wore a dress shirt, tie and dress pants. It was a nice ceremony, with some traditional Indian elements. Afterward, there was a party. I noticed people began entering the pool fully dressed. It was very nonchalant. Even the older people were going in. Some of the guests would walked the pool steps, some jumped, some dived, some cannonballed. There would be people who would arrive later, wave at their friends, get a drink, and jump right in, with no forethought. Some were asking me to join them there. I was uncomfortable going into a pool so well-dressed. Then the bride and groom joined them. After the groom’s persistence, I elected to walk down the pool steps into water just below my inseam. I was fine there. A few minutes later, I felt someone behind me place his hands on my shoulders and push me down until I was totally underwater. I styled my hair with gel; that was gone. So much for the white dress shirt and silk tie. I was self-conscious because I wasn’t wearing an undershirt, but neither were most of the other men, although many wore floral prints which concealed their anatomy. I wasn’t angry, just caught off guard. Since there was nothing left to lose, I probably enjoyed the rest of the night more. This whole scenario seemed very ordinary to everyone else there. I’ve never seen anything like it. Does water have significance in a typical Indian wedding? Was it some sort of purifier? I had to wrap my clothes in plastic before I put them in my suitcase this morning. Have any of you been invited to a similar event?

by Anonymousreply 65April 11, 2018 11:59 PM

Were there at least 300 people in attendance?

by Anonymousreply 1September 17, 2017 12:16 AM

I didn't count, but I think it might be around 200-300.

by Anonymousreply 2September 17, 2017 12:18 AM

Orgy

by Anonymousreply 3September 17, 2017 12:22 AM

Bathing in the Ganges?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 4September 17, 2017 12:39 AM

Sounds very nice OP.

by Anonymousreply 5September 17, 2017 12:43 AM

Were there dead, bloated cows floating in the pool? Even though it was in the United States I still hope your vaccinations were up to date.

by Anonymousreply 6September 17, 2017 12:58 AM

If I had my iPhone and my wallet in my pants (which I would) I would be seriously pissed off.

by Anonymousreply 7September 17, 2017 1:07 AM

No elephant, no happy future.

by Anonymousreply 8September 17, 2017 1:12 AM

What are you supposed to do for the rest of the evening?

by Anonymousreply 9September 17, 2017 1:20 AM

Sounds fun.

by Anonymousreply 10September 17, 2017 1:30 AM

I took my wallet and cellphone out of my pockets before I went into the pool. I didn't see a single person thrown in, so I assume everyone was careful to empty their pockets.

by Anonymousreply 11September 17, 2017 1:33 AM

You were right to not wear Indian costume.

You were NOT right to go into the water with them.

Those are THEIR traditions. Cultural appropriation is NOT ok.

by Anonymousreply 12September 17, 2017 1:38 AM

You sound like Prudence McPrude. No undershirt! What if someone saw your bare breasts through your shirt?!

by Anonymousreply 13September 17, 2017 1:59 AM

It is customary to receive a gift of gold from the parents of the wedding party. If you did not receive gold, it is not an official Indian wedding ceremony blessing by the gods.

by Anonymousreply 14September 17, 2017 2:12 AM

The OP was asked to join them in the pool, R12. He says the groom was persistent about it. I think it would have been rude to act like a spoiled sport and refuse to go into the pool, shirt, tie and pants and all. If you're asked to embrace the culture, shouldn't you do it?

by Anonymousreply 15September 17, 2017 3:00 AM

Not if it's a poor, hot, and dirty one.

by Anonymousreply 16September 17, 2017 3:04 AM

Maybe immersing you was a form of blessing to them. Some churches still immerse people to baptize them, although I doubt this particular dunking was as religiously significant.

Why would you assume the resort had a poor, hot and dirty pool?

by Anonymousreply 17September 17, 2017 3:17 AM

or maybe op is hot and they wanted to see him wet

by Anonymousreply 18September 17, 2017 3:19 AM

R17, I think he was talking about the culture being poor, hot, and dirty, not the pool.

by Anonymousreply 19September 17, 2017 3:23 AM

LOL R18, gurl please, there is no hot OP on here.

by Anonymousreply 20September 17, 2017 3:26 AM

We can see your dirty pillows, OP

by Anonymousreply 21September 17, 2017 4:08 AM

They're called breasts, R21, and every poster has 'em.

by Anonymousreply 22September 17, 2017 5:09 AM

In OP's case-- they were dirty pillows

by Anonymousreply 23September 17, 2017 5:32 AM

If you were dressed up in a shirt, tie and dress pants, and you faced peer pressure to get into the pool as many others had jumped in, would you do it?

by Anonymousreply 24September 18, 2017 12:34 AM

I would have asked someone at the wedding, especially if I thought it was a traditional blessing, cleansing, or luck-related ritual. Can you not politely ask the friend who invited you if there's a name for the ritual?

by Anonymousreply 25September 18, 2017 1:53 AM

[quote]spoiled sport

Plain to see your first language is not English, R15. Or are you just, um, speshul?

by Anonymousreply 26September 18, 2017 2:09 AM

How was the BO, OP?

by Anonymousreply 27September 18, 2017 4:10 AM

I was just joking, by the way. I had just read that crap on an SJW Tumblr, I don't believe it. No Indians would be offended if a non-Indian participated. The only people offended would be a 20 year old women's studies major with blue hair weighing 300 lbs despite her vegan diet.

by Anonymousreply 28September 18, 2017 11:18 AM

I attended an Indian wedding in California. A lot of people ended up in the pool there, too, and it didn't matter what clothes they were wearing, many shirts and ties. No one was tossed in under protest. I think it had more to do with the heat than a spiritual tradition, but I don't know for sure. Yes R24, I jumped in dressed like the rest. It was the only way I was going to be able to talk to some of my favorite people there. No worse for the wear, everything dried before the night was over.

by Anonymousreply 29September 18, 2017 8:29 PM

Unless cute guys were skinny dipping it sounds incredibly stupid and idiotic.

by Anonymousreply 30September 18, 2017 10:53 PM

I once stayed at a hotel in Miami where a wedding reception was taking place at the pool. I just returned from a reception elsewhere. It was a beautiful night, so I relaxed in a lounge distant from the pool and watched. There were lots of fully dressed people in the pool having a great time. I was surprised by an older woman who brought me a plate of food and asked me to join them at the party. What do you do, especially when the woman was so kind? I followed her to the party. Within twenty minutes, several friendly people started talking to me and one “dragged” me to the open bar. Another one of them jumped into the pool and several minutes later, I faced calls to jump in myself. This is something I would never do surrounded by people who know me. I live in a very conservative, socially uptight area. I dismissed it. Then I lightened up. I figured I would never consider it on my own, and they did invite me to celebrate with them, and it’s one of those things you probably shouldn’t do, so I was drawn in. So, I jackknifed into the deep end, wearing my shirt and tie and nice pants. I then discovered I was the only one in the pool still wearing shoes, so treading water was awkward. My upper body were visible for a little while, but I was buff at the time, so it wasn’t a big deal. The tie wasn’t one I valued much. I got the address of the newly married couple and sent a gift when I returned home.

I know there are many cultures within India and probably thousands of wedding traditions. It wouldn’t surprise me if people were in the pool because water represented something sacred, but I’m no authority whatsoever. In my case, there was no tradition involved, these people were just having a hell of a good time.

Sometimes I think we all need to lighten up. I know it was impetuous and foolhardy, but I had a great time with fun people and I truly kicked back in a way I hadn't in a long while.

by Anonymousreply 31September 18, 2017 11:48 PM

R31, when in Rome... I'm glad you enjoyed yourself. It probably felt great, (and unique.) You're right, sometimes we take life too seriously and we should just jump in the pool. I've known business executives who have jumped into a pool or gone into a dunk tank in a full suit, as a challenge to employees to meet a work goal and see the boss get soaking wet.

"one of those things you probably shouldn't do" Yes, but that's what makes it daring and fun, as long as it doesn't affect anyone else. And you dry off and life goes on.

Here's a business lesson from venture capitalist Tim Draper...

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 32September 19, 2017 2:40 AM

I've seen Tim Draper use that trick in another instance, on his short reality TV show, "Start-Up." Apparently he does it with every class he enrolls in the program. It forces them to go beyond their comfort zone, which you sometimes need to be successful, he claims.

by Anonymousreply 33September 20, 2017 12:50 AM

I once received a wedding invitation which was titled "Take the plunge with us." or something like that. No one knew the entire wedding party-one at a time-would get up on the diving board at the pool and "take the plunge" at the reception. I guess both families were in on it, and the people in the wedding party committed to do it. Some people may be appalled by it, but all the guests were having fun. Everyone was asked to join in. There wasn't pressure to do it. No one was tossed in. Most people did go in. I went in. It was a hot night. Like the earlier poster said, it's something you wouldn't think of doing. I took off my suit coat before I did, but I still had my bowtie on. Some of the men went in wearing full suits. The photographer told me a lot of couples take photos In the surf or in a pool wearing their wedding clothes a couple of weeks after the wedding. Who knows it might be a trend.

by Anonymousreply 34September 21, 2017 6:12 AM

I'd have gone naked.

by Anonymousreply 35September 21, 2017 6:17 AM

[quote]The photographer told me a lot of couples take photos In the surf or in a pool wearing their wedding clothes a couple of weeks after the wedding. Who knows it might be a trend.

Yup, it's apparently a trend known as "Trash the dress".

Some dumb bitch drowned because of it back in 2012.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 36September 21, 2017 11:10 AM

I didn't even know they still made undershirts!

by Anonymousreply 37September 21, 2017 11:17 AM

They will be divorced in 3...2...1

by Anonymousreply 38September 21, 2017 12:03 PM

R34, A wedding reception video was posted on this site last year. It sounded so familiar. I finally traced it down. Was this the wedding you attended? It must be!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 39September 22, 2017 1:24 AM

I would totally do that in R39! It looks like a blast. The receptions around my city are stodgy and the wedding couples tend to do what their parents want them to do. This is refreshing (in so many ways.) I'm happy they had fun in their own irreverent way. I just wonder if it was pre-planned or spontaneous. Either way, I'd be there in R39.

by Anonymousreply 40September 22, 2017 11:32 PM

Hey, OP, I thought of you last night while at a poolside wedding reception. Maybe in your situation, tradition played a part. But, isn't it totally expected when people are drunk and happy at a pool, one invariably ends up in the water, triggering the others to join in? Like you're asking for it to happen? Like there's a certain joy in letting go and jumping in? I knew it was a matter of time, and the first guy dove in around midnight. I watched a couple of dozen people follow him. One of my friends took a designer suit into the water. With this thread in mind, I threw reservations out the window and dove in myself, my first time ever. It was fun. Thanks for the catalyst. My tie survived. I was almost dry by the time I drove away. Will I do it again? Now that I've crossed that bridge, probably, but only in situations when it doesn't impact anyone else's fun at the party. That was the case last night. After the bride and groom left, most of the guests ended up in the pool. One guy was standing in water mid-nipples. It was hot watching the water lap at them. If only he was gay...

by Anonymousreply 41September 24, 2017 11:32 PM

Indian weddings can be three day affairs, so there are activities every day. There was a pool party at a destination wedding on day one and almost everyone ended up in the pool. I saw people in wet clothing when I arrived and I figured it was going to be me eventually. I met a hot well built guy in a dry white t-shirt and tight jeans. After a while he told me he was jumping in and wanted to know if I wanted to join him. Who would say no? So I went in with my silk shirt and khakis on. We jumped in at the same time and when he popped up, holy shit. Hairy chest and taut nipples. On a muscular chest. It’s a good thing my khakis gave me room to grow. Then his wife jumped in. Damn. There went my all nighter. There were other hot guys in wet clothes, but I realized it was a very hetero guest list. These parties are pretty common in India. I think people are modest or maybe there’s a thing about bare skin. Or maybe it just gets hot in India. There are no qualms in diving in. The party stayed outdoors so everyone dries out, if you ever get out of the pool. Drinks were brought poolside, so you didn’t have to get out. I was pretty wrinkled before the night was over. My shirt survived.

by Anonymousreply 42October 20, 2017 3:46 AM

Are you sure you weren't at a Bryan Singer party, OP?

by Anonymousreply 43October 20, 2017 3:57 AM

It's not really a cultural/religious thing. They were probably just having fun and cooling off after the wedding. And they kept their clothes on to avoid the super old grandparents getting a heart attack.

by Anonymousreply 44October 20, 2017 4:01 AM

OP, you're the silver-mustachioed focal point of this picture, aren't you? Everyone else looks genuinely happy while it's clear that you're hissing through your fake smile. Sad!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 45October 20, 2017 4:08 AM

Eldergays can't hiss underwater. Or can they?

by Anonymousreply 46October 20, 2017 4:10 AM

Hiss underwater? They can live underwater. The normal life cycle is twink --> twunk --> gills --> elder.

You must be be younger than 24, r46, or you'd have your eldergills by now.

by Anonymousreply 47October 20, 2017 4:20 AM

What about the BO?

by Anonymousreply 48October 21, 2017 5:31 PM

Any opportunity for Indians to smell less awful en masse should be celebrated.

by Anonymousreply 49October 21, 2017 5:41 PM

I tended bar at the poolside wedding of two kids from affluent families. I was asked to wear a full tuxedo. I own one, so it wasn't a problem. Late in the reception, some guests offered hundreds of dollars to others to jump into the pool fully clothed. The younger people, no problem, it was too easy. I think they should have bargained for a higher dollar amount before they went in. I was offered $100 to take a dive in my tux. I brushed it off and the offer doubled to $200. I said I would think about it, but only after most of the guests had left. A couple of hours later, the offer was $500, from one of the parents! Are you kidding? Of course I dived in. I knew the tux would dry. I went right back to work after the plunge. I received more tips in the following half hour than I had in the first four hours. I drove home in a towel. It was totally worth it.

by Anonymousreply 50February 2, 2018 10:40 PM

If you’ve never seen it watch monsoon wedding. Cute movie with some hot Indian guys.

by Anonymousreply 51February 2, 2018 10:48 PM

Congratulations, OP! You're now a Hindu!

by Anonymousreply 52February 2, 2018 10:58 PM

With these shoes? Are you insane? And do you know that water ruins the lining in a suit?

And you know the pool has to be drained to clean it, right?

by Anonymousreply 53February 2, 2018 11:01 PM

Whole scenario sounds weird to me - you don’t think it’s just an est teasing us?

And as for the tuxedoed bartending guy jumping into the pool - sounds fucking vile to me! Affluent’ people trying to see how much dough it’ll take for people to humiliate themselves. And does any decent tux really recover after a dip in chlorinated or salted water? I mean - there’s a reason they’re dry clean only you know...

All sounds really odd.

by Anonymousreply 54February 2, 2018 11:09 PM

Tuxedos have seen much worse at weddings than getting them wet in a swimming pool. You have to wonder how many times the tuxedo you just rented was covered in vomit at prior rentals. I'd think stomach acid would be much more corrosive than chlorine at however many parts per million. Dry cleaning involves soaking an article of clothing in a solvent which includes, get this, chlorine.

Hell, if it hurts no one, have fun. If I made $500 and a couple hundred more in appreciative tips, I'd dive in. I'd probably break even on a tuxedo meant to perform work in and might have earned goodwill with other wealthy patrons who may hire me later, maybe for something better than bartending gigs.

by Anonymousreply 55February 3, 2018 3:26 AM

Alcohol + swimming pool + celebration + catalyst + nice clothing + doing something you wouldn't normally do = acknowledge the possibility of going into the pool with your clothes on and plan accordingly. When does it not happen?

If the man paying you big bucks wants you to jump into the pool, it's a good career move. Many have done more humiliating things for less.

Personally, I'd do a cannonball.

by Anonymousreply 56February 3, 2018 7:14 AM

[quote]spoiled sport

It's "spoilsport."

by Anonymousreply 57February 3, 2018 7:24 AM

Wasn't this in an episode of that Aziz Ansari tv show?

by Anonymousreply 58February 3, 2018 8:47 AM

Here you go, R58.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 59February 4, 2018 1:42 AM

I attended a wedding reception at a swimming pool. When it was time for the groom to throw the garter, he threw it over the heads of all the men. It landed in the pool behind them. Three of his groomsmen looked at each other and grinned. Then they threw the wallets out of their pockets and dove in. It was like pressure had been building all night and the dam broke. A dozen or so men joined them in the pool, no thought to shirts, ties and in some cases suit coats. I knew it was inevitable. I think everyone else did, too. No one minded. I heard they confessed to the rental agency the tuxedos went swimming. He told them much worse has happened. They weren’t penalized afterward.

by Anonymousreply 60February 6, 2018 1:19 AM

Like this, R60?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 61February 10, 2018 7:15 AM

Tables set up around the pool, events near it. Who wouldn't predict R61 would happen? Were these people warned they would be seated ten feet from the pool? I wonder if anyone waled away pissed off. It wouldn't have bothered me, if I was dressed that way, I'm resigned to going into the pool.

by Anonymousreply 62February 10, 2018 7:21 AM

that's "walked" away... Anyone been through something like this?

by Anonymousreply 63February 10, 2018 7:22 AM

Glad to know about this odd custom. Now I know to decline any invites held near pools.

by Anonymousreply 64February 10, 2018 7:37 AM

The videos here look fun. I've never seen anything like this.

by Anonymousreply 65April 11, 2018 11:59 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!