Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

National Punctuation Day, 2017!

Hello DataLounge, I hope all of you have been well!

By now, I assume you are all over your Monday morning "Moos", so I write to remind you that National Punctuation Day is Sept. 24th! It's a Sunday this year, so you'll have to go to early Mass to get to your local punctuation events on time. My assistant Randolf is in charge of the NYC conclave this year. I'm so excited, I can't wait! Save the date!

More later!

by The Evening Punctuationist reply 7009/27/2017

Great; saving the date!

by The Evening Punctuationist reply 109/11/2017

🐬 Save the Dolphins !

by The Evening Punctuationist reply 209/11/2017

Stop with the comma splices, OP.

by The Evening Punctuationist reply 309/11/2017

I thought you were an advocate of punctuationsist evolutionary theory, Evening Punctuationist.

by The Evening Punctuationist reply 409/11/2017

No, R4, I am most certainly NOT! I am a punctuation enthusiast, not an evolution anything! I believe punctuation was handed down from on high exactly as it is today, unaltered by the sands in the hourglass. Don't feel bad, it is an easy mistake to make! Now, your day has not been wasted as you have learned something vital.

by The Evening Punctuationist reply 509/11/2017

R3, I have a friend who is a budding Punctuationist and needs a date for the events on the 24th. Would you be interested, he's quite a catch!

by The Evening Punctuationist reply 609/11/2017

Porpoises appreciates a well punctuated paragraph, R2!

by The Evening Punctuationist reply 709/11/2017

But you call yourself a punctuationist. A punctuationist is believes in punctuated equilibrium in biology. Maybe you're an expert in both?!

by The Evening Punctuationist reply 809/11/2017

Oh, if I only were, R8! I make no claims of expertise. I am a mere advocate. An enthusiast. A John the Baptist of punctuation. A Johnny Appleseed of the printed point. I spread the word. That is all, but it is progress! The world needs more men like me!

Yes, I am aware of this thing you cite, "the web", I believe it is called. Do not be fooled! It's notoriously out of date.

by The Evening Punctuationist reply 909/11/2017

Thank you, R1. You're a sweetie! I have never believed what people say about you!

by The Evening Punctuationist reply 1009/11/2017

R7, What is the porpoise of your remark? (I'm also looking forward to National Puntuation Day!)

by The Evening Punctuationist reply 1109/11/2017

Go Grammer Queen you Rock!

by The Evening Punctuationist reply 1209/11/2017

Thank you, R12, you rock, too! Whatever that means. I'm sure you do it well.

by The Evening Punctuationist reply 1309/11/2017

Well said, Randolf.

I thought you were going to the corner bodega?

by The Evening Punctuationist reply 1409/11/2017

Just returned from the bodega, and some bodacious bods. How U?

Which reminds me of the time that Archie Leach received a telegram asking his age (senders paid by the word)..

Sender: How old Cary Grant?

Cary: Old Cary Grant fine. How you?

by The Evening Punctuationist reply 1509/11/2017

National Punctuation Day, already? Time flies like an arrow, but fruit flies like a banana!

by The Evening Punctuationist reply 1609/11/2017

Thank you, R15, I have throughly enjoyed your verbose and completely unintelligible post. I am sure it was all meant in the best possible way.

by The Evening Punctuationist reply 1709/11/2017

You are very wise, R16. I consider you my own personal Yoda.

by The Evening Punctuationist reply 1809/11/2017

Thanks so much for the "heads up!" Now I'll have time to get my outfit dry cleaned.

by The Evening Punctuationist reply 1909/11/2017

I infer from your punctuation that you have more assistants than Randolf . Has not one of them warned you about the overuse of the exclamation point?

by The Evening Punctuationist reply 2009/11/2017

You're welcome, R19.

I am insanely jealous, btw. Especially of the gloves.

by The Evening Punctuationist reply 2109/11/2017

[quote] I infer from your punctuation that you have more assistants than Randolf . Has not one of them warned you about the overuse of the exclamation point?

No, no, no! It's Randolf, or die! I couldn't possibly cheat with another assistant. Though he certainly is taking his time getting a pint of ice cream. Ah, youth. He was probably distracted by a butterfly or something.

As to your question about the exclamation point. No, he has never warned me of such a thing. But is it possible to be too enthusiastic about punctuation? Seriously, could it be? I don't think so! I just don't. Call me crazy if you must. Tell me I break convention! Call me iconoclast! I wear the badge of idiosyncrasy proudly!

by The Evening Punctuationist reply 2209/11/2017

The badge of idiosyncrazy?!!!!!!!

Or if you're naughty and nuts: Idiosincrazy

by The Evening Punctuationist reply 2309/11/2017

Hmm, perhaps it is possible to overuse an exclamation point after all! Thank you, R23 for your wise counsel.

by The Evening Punctuationist reply 2409/11/2017

I'm back, did I miss anything good?

by The Evening Punctuationist reply 2509/12/2017

I plan to mark the occasion and be punctual for the day's events. Otherwise, what is the point?

by The Evening Punctuationist reply 2609/12/2017

Will Lynne Truss be there?

by The Evening Punctuationist reply 2709/12/2017

R26, you're a champ!

by The Evening Punctuationist reply 2809/12/2017

I hope so, R27!

by The Evening Punctuationist reply 2909/12/2017

Will Lynn eat, shoot, and leave, or eat shoots and leaves?

by The Evening Punctuationist reply 3009/12/2017

I suspect she will do all of the above, R30.

by The Evening Punctuationist reply 3109/12/2017

Well OP ,if Randolf is your only assistant you should have placed a comma before and after his name in your original post to make that clear.

by The Evening Punctuationist reply 3209/12/2017

Thank you, R32, I will certainly take your suggestion should I ever write that sentence again.

by The Evening Punctuationist reply 3309/12/2017

Unfortunately September 24 is the feast day of my favorite saint, St. Rupert of Salzburg. I will be attending a special feast day mass on Sunday and participating in various other festivities celebrating the life and good works of St. Rupert. It looks like I will miss National Punctuation Day.

I will remember you all in my prayers.

by The Evening Punctuationist reply 3409/12/2017

R32, shouldn't that be "Well, OP,"?

by The Evening Punctuationist reply 3509/12/2017

Your prayers are working, R34. Just see R35.

by The Evening Punctuationist reply 3609/12/2017

The movie will be released soon: "National Punctuation Day, the movie"

It's a period piece.

by The Evening Punctuationist reply 3709/12/2017

Lynn will be shooting leaves out of her pussy.

by The Evening Punctuationist reply 3809/12/2017

I'll have my manicules at hand and a dagger at the ready should festivities turn fierce.

by The Evening Punctuationist reply 3909/12/2017

☛12 more days until National Punctuation Day ☚

And so will the Black Panthers, I mean Black Pointers. The Pointer Sisters are headlining.

by The Evening Punctuationist reply 4009/12/2017

You do know that the organization is actually the "Black Pantsers," but the guy who did all their publicity had a lisp.

by The Evening Punctuationist reply 4109/12/2017

Are you doing anything special for the day? I'm growing a handlebar mustache which I shall fashion into two opposing question marks.

by The Evening Punctuationist reply 4209/13/2017
by The Evening Punctuationist reply 4309/13/2017

R35, you may well be correct, St. Punctatus, but I have been chastised by fussbudgets here on DataLounge for my excessive use of comma and I was feeling chagrined at the experience. I am feeling much better today.

by The Evening Punctuationist reply 4409/13/2017

Thank you, R43, but there is no need to be so shy. You are amongst friends here. We all love the semicolon. At the link is a comprehensive treatise on DataLounge's favorite in the colon family.

by The Evening Punctuationist reply 4509/13/2017

I hope you punctuation queen wannabees aren't American. Your placement of commas outside of quotation marks is incorrect for American style.

by The Evening Punctuationist reply 4609/13/2017

It's here! It's here!

What are you doing for National Punctuationi Day?

by The Evening Punctuationist reply 4709/24/2017

Curling up with Keith Houston and his Shady Characters!

by The Evening Punctuationist reply 4809/24/2017

You are a Pro, R48!

by The Evening Punctuationist reply 4909/24/2017

I'm having a high COLONic.

by The Evening Punctuationist reply 5009/24/2017

Good for you, R50! You must be from California.

by The Evening Punctuationist reply 5109/24/2017

The Global Citizen & Punctuation Festival in Central Park yesterday was a great success. Over 60,000 people participated! Thank you, Randolf!

See, Randolf, I CAN say nice things about you.

by The Evening Punctuationist reply 5209/24/2017

What are Tommy & Gio doing today?

We need a mascot. Randolf has the charisma for that, but he's too busy arranging all the events. Do you think Tommy can use a pencil?

by The Evening Punctuationist reply 5309/24/2017

Op, the mere thought of this joyous festival has sent me into a luxurious endorphin rush!

by The Evening Punctuationist reply 5409/24/2017

It should, R54! It's only once a year, and it's almost over!

Oh, how I wish we traveling to our Hawaiian house, so the day would be longer! Randolf! is it too late to head to Hawaii?

by The Evening Punctuationist reply 5509/24/2017

It's never too late for Hawaii ( the title of my soon-to-be-released detective novel in the Denning Series). As readers will recall, the premise of that series is that Richard Denning, who played the "Governor" in "Hawaii Five O," was an undercover (and I mean that) agent on the island during WW2, when he was in the fullness of his blond godhead. If Agent D has to use his substantial charms to "penetrate" a spy ring, patriotic Dick is "up to the task" and will go "to any length" to achieve a "happy ending ." Espionage might put Dick in some unusual positions, but a man's gotta do what (and whom) a man's gotta do. Soon to be a major-motion picture.

R54, did you mean "luxurious " or "luxuriant?"

by The Evening Punctuationist reply 5609/24/2017

So this is a day that I can give punctuation a rest and I dont have to use any punctuation on any of my posts

KOOL

by The Evening Punctuationist reply 5709/24/2017

An excellent novel I want to recommend ...ahhhh, R57 has farted in my face whilst I was commenting on Randolf's book and now I need a shower!

by The Evening Punctuationist reply 5809/24/2017

OP, the topic of your thread specifically references "Punctuation Day," not "Adjective Day."

by The Evening Punctuationist reply 5909/24/2017

by The Evening Punctuationist reply 6009/24/2017

Alright, alright, I've calmed down. I'm back. Thank you R59 for talking me off the ledge. R60, thank you for your kind non sequitur.

I want to thank everyone who had a hand in making this year's events such a tremendous success! Special thanks to everyone who was punctual today. Thank you for all the puns! I want to thank the cows for their moooving tribute at dawn this morning! Thanks to Tommy and Gio for their performance art. Thanks to the Durrell creatures for their tremendous work! Colto, well done, as usual! Thanks to all my friends upthread for their inspired unput! And a very special thanks to Randolf, without whom my work would have no point!

by The Evening Punctuationist reply 6109/24/2017

OP/R61 - For a lovely refresher course, we'll revisit English Grammar101 upon our next visit. This being said, please identify and restructure the grammatical usage errors of the following introductory clause, reporting your findings in detail upon our revisit:

" . . . I want to thank everyone who had a hand . . . "

See You Next Tuesday!

by The Evening Punctuationist reply 6209/24/2017

You were not summoned, restructured-grammar troll! Begone!

by The Evening Punctuationist reply 6309/24/2017

Farewell until next year, fellas! Until then, I wish you a year filled with a variety and abundance of punctuation!

by The Evening Punctuationist reply 6409/24/2017

Im punctilious about punctuation. But I've always wavered on putting closing quotation marks before or after the period. Thoughts?

by The Evening Punctuationist reply 6509/25/2017

R65, yes! You raise a fascinating question! In the spirit of the Jesuits from whom I received my earliest training, my thoughts are, "what, are your eyeballs broken, you can't look this up yourself?" Fear not! I will be back very soon, Punctilious, because I like a punster as much as the next person!

by The Evening Punctuationist reply 6609/25/2017

I think that next year we should have a Punctuation CRUISE!

by The Evening Punctuationist reply 6709/25/2017

As usually, R67, you have the best ideas!

by The Evening Punctuationist reply 6809/25/2017

You might be right [R32] but I was caught up in my crusade against the seemingly universal practice here of putting an unneccesary comma in " Oh, dear". When I say "Oh dear" I am not addressing "dear" ,which would make a comma preferable. I am just voicing a lament at large and no comma is neccessary

by The Evening Punctuationist reply 6909/27/2017

I used an Oxford comma today and MS word highlighted it as an error.

by The Evening Punctuationist reply 7009/27/2017
Need more help? Click Here.

Follow theDL catch up on what you missed

recent threads by topic delivered to your email

follow popular threads on twitter

follow us on facebook

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!