Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

Patti Labelle's Sweet Potato Pie

Speaking of Patti's culinary skills, were can I get a pie this year? Walmart sold out last Thanksgiving. P-a-t-t-i!!!! P-a-t-t-i!!!!

by Anonymousreply 54Last Saturday at 10:14 AM

He speaks for his community and his times.

by Anonymousreply 109/07/2017

It's a little on the sweet side and available now at walmart (freezer section?).

by Anonymousreply 209/07/2017

I've never had sweet potato pie, but my ex-bf loves it. But he's never been able to explain to me how it's supposed to taste. My Mom's pumpkin pie was always very spicy (loved it), but I don't know if the sweet potato pie that AA people eat is supposed to have any spice. If he could just bring me some sweet potato pie that meets his standards, I would definitely make it from scratch for him. He doesn't like pumpkin pie, at all.

by Anonymousreply 309/07/2017

R3, so bitch are you going to buy my pie ir not?

by Anonymousreply 409/07/2017

It is spicier than pumpkin. The ones I prefer have more nutmeg and pecan pieces.

Patti Labelle's didn't have pecans and was more custard like.

by Anonymousreply 509/07/2017

If you want to try making your own r3 , buy a small can of pumpkin and use the pie recipe on the back but substitute the pumpkin with 1 1/2 to 2 roasted sweet potatoes that have been cooled. Peel the skin off before mashing.

by Anonymousreply 609/07/2017

R3) Sweet potato pie isn't spicy. It is custardy and has a mellowed sweetness to it. You will probably have to eat many different sweet potato pies to know what it really tastes like. Patti's pies are on the sweeter side, but they are okay if you're in a pinch.

To me, pumpkin pie tastes diuretic as if something is missing from it. In some pumpkin pies, there is that spice that is a bit much to me. I will eat a pumpkin pie SLICE but I will not come back for seconds. That's the difference, because a great sweet potato pie will have me running back to hide the pie for myself.

by Anonymousreply 709/07/2017

The Patti Pie is suspiciously inexpensive in stores. I've seen them for $3.99!

Huh?

by Anonymousreply 809/07/2017

Ugh, not with your mouth would I eat that shit.

I love when he sings that "IF" part from "If Only You Knew." Cracks my shit up EVERY TIME.

by Anonymousreply 909/08/2017

Patti has her own show starting today (11/26) on The Cooking Channel. It's another of the celebrity driven show which have two scenarios: the star cooks and 1) good friend stops by to help or 2) pops up at the end to have a delicious meal with Miss Patti.

The people who just happen to drop by are usually a B-list celebrities -- Patti's guests her first show are Cedric the Entertainer and Carrie Ann Inaba (?) from Dancing with the Stars. On her 2nd show, it's 50 Cent and Naturi Naughton. Wonder if Patti will sing, like that annoying Trisha Yearwood does on her show.

by Anonymousreply 1011/26/2017

WHYYYY DID IT END THISAHHHHH WEHHHHHHHHHH

by Anonymousreply 1111/26/2017

I made one two years ago that was supposedly the closet thing to the Patti-pie recipe. It was custardy and wonderful. My AA friends gave it a huge thumbs up.

by Anonymousreply 1211/26/2017

I first heard about this from a coworker. I went Wed morning to Walmart and saw stacks of them. I stopped by Thanksgiving morning and in 24 hour they had none left.

Then I noticed Patti's stupid mug on all sorts of pies, cherry pies, lemon pies, cinnamon rolls, apple crisps and all kinds of assorted baked goods. She clearly just stuck her name on some mass produced items.

by Anonymousreply 1311/26/2017

Bump

by Anonymousreply 1411/28/2017

LaTrailer my colored domestic absolutely swears by them !!!!

by Anonymousreply 1511/28/2017

[quote]To me, pumpkin pie tastes diuretic as if something is missing from it.

Good christ. What exactly do you think "diuretic" means?

by Anonymousreply 1611/28/2017

I bought two of these mutherfuckers for Thanksgiving and they were SO GOOOD. She also has the large size pie for the real fat hoes out there, and cobblers too!

by Anonymousreply 1711/28/2017

Judging by the size of the dude in the video it seems you have have to be a lane bryant gurl with metabolic syndrome to be a fan of these. Has Patti thought of a co-promotion with a insulin product ? The ad could run on certain shows like "My 600 pound life " or "Empire" with the demographics they need.

by Anonymousreply 1811/28/2017

r18 its definitely not something you want in your everyday diet, but for a holiday? Sure. Have you even tried it?

by Anonymousreply 1911/28/2017

Yes r18, everything in moderation. I've never been able to find these pies, but I would love to try one. You think I will be able to sing like that after?

by Anonymousreply 2011/28/2017

I had a North American (ok, Canadian!) friend rave about pumpkin pie memories - and eventually made one for us - just like they used to make at home...

It involved a bought, pre-baked pastry case, a tin of ‘pumpkin puree’, pre-mixed spices - and the ‘home cooking’ bit was adding sugar and eggs. It was underwhelming. Awful even.

I mean, it isn’t that hard to make any of that stuff - so seriously - everything pre-prepared in a factory? Surely that’s not how your mothers all made it? Please explain to a non-American! What is the allure?

by Anonymousreply 2111/28/2017

The fat blackie in the video is annoying. He’s had too many of those pies. He needs to go on a diet.

by Anonymousreply 2211/28/2017

Patti should know better, she’s authored a cookbook for diabetics.

by Anonymousreply 2311/28/2017

R22 must be an Africana

by Anonymousreply 2411/28/2017

The clown at R22 must be an asshole.

by Anonymousreply 2511/28/2017

Anybody too stupid to follow a simple recipe and make their own sweet potato pie is too stupid to eat.

by Anonymousreply 2611/28/2017

r26, I bought one for my coworkers because no way am I standing on my feet in the kitchen for those bitches, not for one minute. There was nothing but crumbs after 10 minutes. Its a hit.

by Anonymousreply 2711/28/2017

Patti was so arrogant to claim that her pie was selling off the shelves before this guy brought attention to it.

by Anonymousreply 2811/28/2017

Well she made up for that shade by inviting him to her home. He can also be seen on Tamar & Vice, he works and is friends with Tamar.

by Anonymousreply 2911/28/2017

I didn’t grow up with sweet potato pie, I never tasted one until my 30s. I was so pleasantly surprised how delicious a good one is. So much better than pumpkin. I choke on those stupid pumpkin spices, sweet potato pie is light on the spice. If I can find the recipe I used I’ll post it here, it supposedly is the closest thing to the Patti pie.

All I know, it was darn good.

by Anonymousreply 3011/28/2017

All you jigs really eat that shit up. Sad.

by Anonymousreply 3111/28/2017

I’m white

by Anonymousreply 3211/28/2017

I'm thinking the Walmarts here are selling a sub brand because honestly, the pie tastes awful. I couldn't finish a small slice and I loves me some pie. Patti, what the fuck??

by Anonymousreply 3311/28/2017

Shouldn't you be near death by now, r33?

by Anonymousreply 3411/28/2017

Here’s the recipe. Adding the layer of brown sugar on the crust makes a big difference, I guess it acts like a shield to keep the bottom crust from getting soggy. It also makes it taste great. I don’t care for nutmeg so I put much less than this recipe calls for, I used 1/4 teaspoon.

I’ve read that baking the potatos brings out their sweetness, and that boiling them makes the sweetness run out. I did neither, I microwaved the potatos then cooled them and peeled them.

by Anonymousreply 3511/28/2017

I’ll definitely try the recipe R35! Thanks, I love Patti Pies. And I’m white too, R31 tRump Deplorable racist prick. You go eat that 45 Orange shit. I’m sure you’ll love it.

by Anonymousreply 3611/28/2017

The queer in the video is revolting.

by Anonymousreply 3711/28/2017

I think he's delightful.

by Anonymousreply 3811/29/2017

Once again black folks being done harm by their own. Patti should be ashamed of herself!! Selling a product with ingredients that are detrimental to people from a cardiovascular and diabetes risk perspective. And she has diabetes !!!! Wake up black people our genocide is more internal forces than external forces.

Also Aretha needs to come clean regarding her illness, If you are not long for this world and can drawn positive attention to a national epidemic that is imploding among black people in the US . Hiding behind "cancer" is selfish as a means to die with an" untarnished " legacy . The truth will come out Ms Franklin after your passing , the whole truth not only your struggle with HIV . Why not be a honorable beacon in your passing and in process you may save some lives in the black community. Are you really part of the homophobic black church ? Shameful

by Anonymousreply 3911/29/2017

And that FAT gay slob in the video does not do any favors. I will never ever ever ever buy a Patti pie because of that irritating asshole.

by Anonymousreply 4011/29/2017

R40 10 years from now he will be morbidly obese double amputee on SSI living in section 8 housing

by Anonymousreply 4111/29/2017

Jesus. Wasn't this supposed to be about a fucking pie?

by Anonymousreply 4211/29/2017

Fags like the guy in the video do not deserve a slice of pie. They've had enough.

by Anonymousreply 4311/29/2017

I think they overestimated the demand this year after last year's big rush. They're were tons of them in the store today and they were on "Roll Back" gurl! Yes, I bought two because they were on sale. Don't judge me.

by Anonymousreply 44Last Wednesday at 1:51 PM

This is a few years old but here it is anyway.

[quote]Questlove tells the story of his longtime beef with Patti LaBelle.

by Anonymousreply 45Last Wednesday at 1:56 PM

Has that fat slob in the video croaked off yet? Please say yes.

by Anonymousreply 46Last Wednesday at 10:07 PM

No bitch R46, I’m alive and more fabulous than ever!

by Anonymousreply 47Last Wednesday at 10:22 PM

Funny video R45)

by Anonymousreply 48Last Wednesday at 11:22 PM

[quote]Fags like the guy in the video do not deserve a slice of pie. They've had enough.

[quote]Has that fat slob in the video croaked off yet? Please say yes.

JESUS. No wonder you’re both alone.

by Anonymousreply 49Last Thursday at 12:12 AM

The homo in that video dropped dead. Yippee!!!!!!!

by Anonymousreply 50Last Saturday at 7:08 AM

R50 shut the fuck up man

by Anonymousreply 51Last Saturday at 7:19 AM

[quote] Walmart sold out last Thanksgiving.

That's hardly a recommendation.

by Anonymousreply 52Last Saturday at 8:17 AM

These are TOXIC negro pies being sold by a white owned mega store! Wake up black America !

by Anonymousreply 53Last Saturday at 9:25 AM

Great pie. She also has a line of cobblers out in apple, peach and mixed berry flavors. The mixed berry flavor is amazing. The pie is cheap, but the cobblers are very pricey at around $7-$10. I can't remember how much exactly. She has a banana pudding with vanilla wafers for $10 and she's coming out with a line of cakes at Wal-Mart too real soon.

by Anonymousreply 54Last Saturday at 10:14 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Follow theDL catch up on what you missed

recent threads by topic delivered to your email

follow popular threads on twitter

follow us on facebook

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!