Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

Is this headboard / bed a dick wilter?

I have screwed up bedroom furniture and lighting in the past due to my queeny taste. I already have a platform bed in an oatmeal color, and it's hard to get something that doesn't clash with it - so I figured white might work. The bed is a king, so it's a lot of fabric. It's velvet too. I wanted it in black, but they have to check if they can make it in black. The same company makes a cheaper, smaller one in black velvet. This is 57" high so that's a bonus too for a 30" high bed (mattress + frame). The linens are all white as well. Thanks.

by Still traumatized from ruining my sex life with a bedroom chandelierreply 14909/25/2017

Yes it is.

by Still traumatized from ruining my sex life with a bedroom chandelierreply 109/07/2017

This is what the platform bed base looks like (except it has 2 more legs in the back and stands on its own with no headboard). I could get the headboard shown here, but it's more expensive and a bit dull to me. It mildly reminds me of the walls in corporate cubicles, whereas perhaps the one in my original post is tooBlanche Devereaux. Not sure.

R1 - Thanks. Would the same thing in black be better? Or what do you think of this below.

by Still traumatized from ruining my sex life with a bedroom chandelierreply 209/07/2017

R2 Is MUCH better OP.

You absolutely cannot do the velvet tufted thing. H U G E mistake that would be.

by Still traumatized from ruining my sex life with a bedroom chandelierreply 309/07/2017

The headboard and bed frame need to be made out of the same frabric, do not mix colors or fabrics....it will be a clusterfuck.

by Still traumatized from ruining my sex life with a bedroom chandelierreply 409/07/2017

OP your choice is a dick winter. That said, considering the direction you'd like to go, we suggest to go ALL IN and you might just pull it off.

by Still traumatized from ruining my sex life with a bedroom chandelierreply 509/07/2017

2 is certainly better than the first one. Add some velvet pillows you can toss around --burgundy and deep orange. Low warm light.

by Still traumatized from ruining my sex life with a bedroom chandelierreply 609/07/2017

Thanks. Unfortunately more is going to be mixed than I can really choose. The carpet in there is whitish-grey (not my choice but I can't change it). My furniture is brown and the night table has a white/grey marble top. The other option they have is to do the bed in a greyish fabric, but it looked sort of harsh to me (see pottery barn filmore bed if you want). This is the one I have.

I'd rather just use a bed skirt altogether, but the room has a vent coming up right under the bed....so I had to get something to raise it above that. There actually weren't too many options. The landlord informed me they are not repainting the wall, and the current occupants do not have a headboard, so I think that's kind of gross & just need to put something there so I don't feel like I am sleeping with the former tenants.

lol thanks R5. so, THAT I can tell.. but the white one just seemed like a cloud in a spa-like hotel room or something.

by Still traumatized from ruining my sex life with a bedroom chandelierreply 709/07/2017

I don't like any of them, OP.

by Still traumatized from ruining my sex life with a bedroom chandelierreply 809/07/2017

*There actually weren't too many options for solo bed frames without headboards. I didn't really want a headboard until the landlord informed me yesterday that they are not repainting the wall where the bed is. I'm tall and always end up sleeping on my arm - with my hand sort of over the top of the bed, and headboards box me in.

by Still traumatized from ruining my sex life with a bedroom chandelierreply 909/07/2017

All you'd need after that OP would be an aquamarine paint scheme, antique white nightstands with gilded mesh doors, and courtly dancer lamps in full 18th regalia.

But it would be my Grandmother's bedroom circa 1966. (g) Expect to vacuum it a lot too, that tufted velvet and the buttons are a bigger dust draw than a black lacquer table.

My mom still has the headboard, but upholstered over the buttoned velvet. It's quite nice now.

by Still traumatized from ruining my sex life with a bedroom chandelierreply 1009/07/2017

R8 here's another option in black. It definitely looks cheaper to me than the original one, but I am trying not to overdo it any more with the bed if possible. They're all under 400 except the pottery barn one.

by Still traumatized from ruining my sex life with a bedroom chandelierreply 1109/07/2017

[quote]headboards box me in.

Well, then why do you want one?

by Still traumatized from ruining my sex life with a bedroom chandelierreply 1209/07/2017

How about a couple of woven or print tapestry kind of things to hang, to give the room some personality.

by Still traumatized from ruining my sex life with a bedroom chandelierreply 1309/07/2017

"18th-century regalia"

by Still traumatized from ruining my sex life with a bedroom chandelierreply 1409/07/2017

Match your headboard to the bedframe. Check Wayfair or one of their many affiliated sites.

Don't do white (think of the cum stains), and don't do velvet, you old queen.

by Still traumatized from ruining my sex life with a bedroom chandelierreply 1509/07/2017

I just bought a HUGE black velvet quilted bed spread in Zara Home. Enormous. The jolly giant sized gay shopboy sold it to me. It was on quadruple markdown. It was practically free. Its cotton. I didn't believe him but he assured me it is and a friend who knows fabric confirmed. I can see already it is a dust magnet and wilter of dicks. Its very soft. I hate it. I bought it because the gay shopgiant sold it to me.

by Still traumatized from ruining my sex life with a bedroom chandelierreply 1609/07/2017

OP, I bought a fully upholstered bed, headboard and base for around 300.00 last year. I bought it for a guest room and didn't have high expectations, but I was amazed at how well designed it was and how sturdy it was when assembled. The only issue I had was the color was described as grey, but it was really more brown than grey, but it worked for me...it's sort of a faux linen. I've sold high end upholstered beds for 3-5k and some of them were not much better than the one I bought, the fabrics were quite a bit more lux, but not always the best construction for the money. Check Ebay.

by Still traumatized from ruining my sex life with a bedroom chandelierreply 1709/07/2017

R12 - see R7. The landlord is being very cheap and not repainting the bedroom walls (for 2600 a month). The last occupant' hair / odor / whatever is in the same spot on the wall. There's really only 1 place to put the bed.

This is the bed I like the most (maybe not these exact colors, but you get the idea). It's $2080 before tax. And, I feel like I need it to be a few inches longer - for that price, it's not worth being uncomfortable.

Yep, r15 - I have been on wayfair and Joss and Main for a few hours. The bed in my first post is from there. I like velvet. It's like the Seinfeld episode where George wants to be ensconced in velvet. I am not even 40 yet though... but close. When am I allowed to drape myself in velvet?

Thanks r16 - I think the black velvet would do that, but the person on the phone kept insisting it wouldn't. I suppose I could lint roll my headboard if I really had to. I already have the giant lint roller thing for pets.

by Still traumatized from ruining my sex life with a bedroom chandelierreply 1809/07/2017

OP, what's wrong with a bedroom chandelier?? I have one!

Lol at the person who said dick "winter" - that's hilarious

by Still traumatized from ruining my sex life with a bedroom chandelierreply 1909/07/2017

R15, that headboard looks like it's been ripped by someone in the throes of getting fucked from behind. I like it!

by Still traumatized from ruining my sex life with a bedroom chandelierreply 2009/07/2017

Of course not. Now add some red glass swag lamps on each side.

by Still traumatized from ruining my sex life with a bedroom chandelierreply 2109/07/2017

Tacky OP . I am a New York Puerto Rican who grew up around tacky décor so I know when something is tacky.

by Still traumatized from ruining my sex life with a bedroom chandelierreply 2209/07/2017

[quote][R12] - see [R7]. The landlord is being very cheap and not repainting the bedroom walls (for 2600 a month). The last occupant' hair / odor / whatever is in the same spot on the wall. There's really only 1 place to put the bed.

I would paint the wall myself before I would buy a headboard I don't like.

by Still traumatized from ruining my sex life with a bedroom chandelierreply 2309/07/2017

R19 - I had one in my old condo.... and there was some website that would take pics off the MLS and then basically make fun of everything about the places & speculate as to why people were selling, look into their personal details, etc... basically the DL of real estate. Anyway, as my luck would have it, my condo ended up on that site. People went NUTS over the fact the bedroom had a chandelier...and my wallpaper (yes I had wall paper) was on one wall and sort of fuzzy so I got comments like "did he carpet his fucking walls??"

lol R22 thanks. Why do I lack the gay gene for taste? WHY? Any gay designer / salesperson I deal with at any store is generally horrified by what I pick out.

R23 - I suppose I can paint, but I am a shitty painter. I always end up with drip marks and so on. They did agree to paint the closets, but they're acting like I am being too high maintenance when I've asked for anything else beyond that. I can perhaps pay the closet guy to do the wall. This is the first time I ever moved into someone's home vs. a managed building so it's a lot of stuff I haven't had to deal with before. They did mention they have all of the extra paint in the storage space, but I don't know if it'll be a disaster if I try to paint it.

by Still traumatized from ruining my sex life with a bedroom chandelierreply 2409/07/2017

OP's landlord sounds like they could be John's mom.

by Still traumatized from ruining my sex life with a bedroom chandelierreply 2509/07/2017

If you decide to paint, R24, buy a color you like.

by Still traumatized from ruining my sex life with a bedroom chandelierreply 2609/07/2017

Oh, the landlord did say to me "when you go to a hotel - that headboard hasn't been washed" or something like that. basically, she thinks I am a germaphobe and neurotic. I'm not even that bad about germs unless it comes food handling really ... but there's just something about another person's hair stains (?) on a wall that is just gross. I've never moved into a place that wasn't already painted. My brother rents his old condo and as re-carpeted it once already and paints every time without any question.

by Still traumatized from ruining my sex life with a bedroom chandelierreply 2709/07/2017

Forget the black. I had a partner that shot loads of cum which didn't always end up in the intended target. Me. As a result, it went everywhere. Not that you would have that problem, just being practical.

by Still traumatized from ruining my sex life with a bedroom chandelierreply 2809/07/2017

Just put up some hanging thing to cover the wall that the bed is next to.

by Still traumatized from ruining my sex life with a bedroom chandelierreply 2909/07/2017

Not necessarily. It looks like it could absorb a lot of cum.

by Still traumatized from ruining my sex life with a bedroom chandelierreply 3009/07/2017

Any cloth/fabric or wooden headboard is bedbug heaven.

by Still traumatized from ruining my sex life with a bedroom chandelierreply 3109/07/2017

I think hanging some sheer drapes behind the bed would look cool, then get some LED strip lights an put them at the bottom. The lights would be on a dimmer.

by Still traumatized from ruining my sex life with a bedroom chandelierreply 3209/07/2017

A dick wilter? Is this an eldergay thing? Who cares what your headboard looks like? I'm coming in there to beat that boy pussy up, not exchange decorating tips.

by Still traumatized from ruining my sex life with a bedroom chandelierreply 3309/07/2017

Op it's very nice it goes with the gold cherub lamps and all of you bright colored caftans.

by Still traumatized from ruining my sex life with a bedroom chandelierreply 3409/07/2017

R33 has the right idea.

OP, what kind of wallpaper? I was thinking of doing one wall with a design from Timorous Beasties....now I'm wondering how that will affect dick enthusiasm...?

by Still traumatized from ruining my sex life with a bedroom chandelierreply 3509/07/2017

Never buy fabric headboards. Cum and lube stains are a bitch to remove. You'll have permanent stains. Fabric headboards don't last long and end up shabby looking. Get wooden headboard, something classic, that's easy to clean and will last forever.

by Still traumatized from ruining my sex life with a bedroom chandelierreply 3609/07/2017

Winnie the Pooh?

by Still traumatized from ruining my sex life with a bedroom chandelierreply 3709/07/2017

Really, very, incredibly tacky, OP.

by Still traumatized from ruining my sex life with a bedroom chandelierreply 3809/07/2017

The irony of all this is that I probably won't be having that much sex anyway for a variety of reasons... but I guess I posted because IF I do - then I don't want it to end before it even starts.

Ok so no velvet (too queeny / eldergay). No black (dust magnet - and I have pets). And get the same color as the base... sounds like I am getting the pottery barn headboard to match the base then.... OR painting the wall. Or, actually hanging something behind it sounds good too. Oh and fabric / cum etc... is an issue....though in 15 years of sex, nobody has cum on my walls or headboards.

R35 - it was a mess. It's a bit of a long story. I was in a lobby of this very nice condo & they had velvet walls (yes... here we go with the velvet again). The condos were like 600k to 4 mil in there, so it was all very ornate and old school. I found out who did the walls, and I called them to do the wall in my bedroom, but not in "full velvet" because that was going to be like $4000. So, we used some thinner version (this was almost 10 years ago so I am forgetting). But anyway, it looked like the wall was carpeted, essentially, when all was said and done. I probably still have pics of it somewhere but I'm not sure how much more torture I can endure over that decision. I had to give the buyer a $1000 closing credit to take it out.

by Still traumatized from ruining my sex life with a bedroom chandelierreply 3909/07/2017

R36 makes a good point.

by Still traumatized from ruining my sex life with a bedroom chandelierreply 4009/07/2017

Hmmm. Well, velvet is on trend this fall. I love velvet, actually, but perhaps a rich royal blue is more practical?

The wallpaper print I am considering is very "busy" but not textured.

That sounds like a nightmare, OP. What a pain!

by Still traumatized from ruining my sex life with a bedroom chandelierreply 4109/07/2017

Liberace wouldn't fuck on that bed.

by Still traumatized from ruining my sex life with a bedroom chandelierreply 4209/07/2017

I agree with R36 also. You also might not notice a cum stain until it has dried and turns yellow.

by Still traumatized from ruining my sex life with a bedroom chandelierreply 4309/07/2017

It comes in blue R41, but the computer generated images are always a bit off vs. reality. This one is a bit of a gamble. They also call it "navy" - and to me, navy should be darker.

I'm not sure how it would go with the base either.

I never had a problem w/ guys cumming on my furniture... and I was a pretty big slut in my 20s. Towels, mouths, and condoms got the majority of it.

by Still traumatized from ruining my sex life with a bedroom chandelierreply 4409/07/2017

"Nobody has cum on my walls or headboard."

Then you're not doing it right!

by Still traumatized from ruining my sex life with a bedroom chandelierreply 4509/07/2017

Hun, the problem with you and any fabric headboard is your hair dye and pomade. You will have to wrap your hair before bedtime and then lounging and watching your shows.

Once you stain that headboard, it'll be ruined.

by Still traumatized from ruining my sex life with a bedroom chandelierreply 4609/07/2017

Good luck dusting off that black velvet fabric everyday. Lint and dust shows easily.

by Still traumatized from ruining my sex life with a bedroom chandelierreply 4709/07/2017

Can you get a fabric swath before buying? That blue is kind of drab.

by Still traumatized from ruining my sex life with a bedroom chandelierreply 4809/07/2017

OP PLEASE go with the matching bed frame fabric!! You ill thank us later.

by Still traumatized from ruining my sex life with a bedroom chandelierreply 4909/07/2017

R49 - do you think it's too cubicle / corporate looking? I don't know - something about it feels like... I am missing an adjective here.... but maybe you know what I mean. Pottery Barn did not have swatches of the fabric or the bed in the store, so I won't really know until it comes. I saw their regular twill, which looked like khakis from the 90s (or cubicle padding)... but this twill is supposed to have slightly more texture.

I can get swatches of the blue for the other bed, but it is sounding like velvet isn't a good idea. The other bed has a grey and a beige too but they look totally bizarre on the computer.

by Still traumatized from ruining my sex life with a bedroom chandelierreply 5009/07/2017

The navy blue is not bad at all.

by Still traumatized from ruining my sex life with a bedroom chandelierreply 5109/07/2017

Oh FFS, OP. Get a black leather headboard if you must have one. There are a million different styles from traditional to modern, queeny to uber-masc. Bonus---cum will wipe right off. Just google images of "black leather headboards" for 1001 options.

by Still traumatized from ruining my sex life with a bedroom chandelierreply 5209/07/2017

I liked r18 the best. Quilted headboards look like dust mite paradiise to me but they give you some cushion for the pushin'.

by Still traumatized from ruining my sex life with a bedroom chandelierreply 5309/07/2017

I'm with r52 go leather or if you can't afford it go faux leather. I have a dark brown (easier than black) headboard, no tufting and its masculine and very neutral. So what ever bedding/duvet/bedspread I used it fits right in.

by Still traumatized from ruining my sex life with a bedroom chandelierreply 5409/07/2017

Not reading all the responses so if this has already been said forgive me.

Black will show dust, and lint. Unless you are a clean freak, don't go with black.

by Still traumatized from ruining my sex life with a bedroom chandelierreply 5509/07/2017

All white.

by Still traumatized from ruining my sex life with a bedroom chandelierreply 5609/07/2017

Why does one need a headboard in the first place?

by Still traumatized from ruining my sex life with a bedroom chandelierreply 5709/07/2017

r57, ...because it's kind of trashy to have your bed pillows directly againt the wall.

by Still traumatized from ruining my sex life with a bedroom chandelierreply 5809/07/2017

[quote] Why does one need a headboard in the first place?

To protect the bottom's head when you bang the shit out of him.

by Still traumatized from ruining my sex life with a bedroom chandelierreply 5909/07/2017

Headboards are depressing. I prefer the zen look in beds - low wooden bed , no headboard, low night table.

by Still traumatized from ruining my sex life with a bedroom chandelierreply 6009/07/2017

R58 might have just opened my eyes to something. I'm so sick and tired of my friggin pillows falling on the floor between my wall and bed. If I had a headboard that could fix my problem.

by Still traumatized from ruining my sex life with a bedroom chandelierreply 6109/07/2017

Gentlemen, I like r11 I would have that one. The dust bunny comments would be true. You would have to vacuum the headboard to keep it dust free. best of luck on your search.

by Still traumatized from ruining my sex life with a bedroom chandelierreply 6209/07/2017

Please type Scandinavian bedrooms into Google. Most are simple and calming and you can make them work in any place. Also, go to IKEA and look at their beds, not too expensive, last years, a good variety.

by Still traumatized from ruining my sex life with a bedroom chandelierreply 6309/07/2017

[quote] Not reading all the responses so if this has already been said forgive me.

Darling, you're missing all the fun-this has LONG since moved away from being just about the OP's headboard.

by Still traumatized from ruining my sex life with a bedroom chandelierreply 6409/07/2017

This is the DL.

A bed is considered superfluous so long as the chains holding the harness up are embedded in the concrete far enough to hold 300 pounds.

by Still traumatized from ruining my sex life with a bedroom chandelierreply 6509/07/2017

vaginal, quilted, what have you> headboards in general are just so dated and depressing

by Still traumatized from ruining my sex life with a bedroom chandelierreply 6609/07/2017

[quote] the current occupants do not have a headboard, so I think that's kind of gross & just need to put something there so I don't feel like I am sleeping with the former tenants.

What a bizarre idea!

I've lived in half a dozen apartments and I've never once given thought to where the previous occupants kept their furniture. Is this a common fear that people have?

Although come to think of it, I used to work with a broad who always bought a new toilet seat when she moved to a new apartment. I dunno why the hell she didn't just bring her old one with her, but whatever, it's not my money or my ass being affected by it.

by Still traumatized from ruining my sex life with a bedroom chandelierreply 6709/07/2017

OP, what about natural-looking wood?

I think this headboard looks more elegant and masculine than any fussy tufted fabric ones.

Link us to your bedroom furniture, so we know what you're working with!

by Still traumatized from ruining my sex life with a bedroom chandelierreply 6809/07/2017

I like this even better than what you've picked out for the bed. Fabric is so fussy!

by Still traumatized from ruining my sex life with a bedroom chandelierreply 6909/07/2017

Oooh, I like this one!

by Still traumatized from ruining my sex life with a bedroom chandelierreply 7009/07/2017

These last three post pics are ugly and tacky.

by Still traumatized from ruining my sex life with a bedroom chandelierreply 7109/07/2017

Those last three are lowbrow dreadful.

by Still traumatized from ruining my sex life with a bedroom chandelierreply 7209/07/2017

I LOVE R68 AND R69

by Still traumatized from ruining my sex life with a bedroom chandelierreply 7309/07/2017

R68, Like that one. Looks like a fence you'd grab onto while getting plowed out in the lower forty.

by Still traumatized from ruining my sex life with a bedroom chandelierreply 7409/07/2017

That headboard looks like a park bench. This is exactly what I have. It's very masculine and I get lots of nice complements.

by Still traumatized from ruining my sex life with a bedroom chandelierreply 7509/07/2017

As beds go, not bad.

by Still traumatized from ruining my sex life with a bedroom chandelierreply 7609/07/2017

I wouldn't know, OP. I normally don't fuck beds.

by Still traumatized from ruining my sex life with a bedroom chandelierreply 7709/07/2017

I love that headboard, R68.

by Still traumatized from ruining my sex life with a bedroom chandelierreply 7809/07/2017

Honest-to-God, you people are all insane and gross.

Wooden headboard, no fabric ever.

Here's Joan Collins' filthy stained fabric headboard from an auction a few years ago.

by Still traumatized from ruining my sex life with a bedroom chandelierreply 7909/07/2017

OMG, gross @ R79. What IS that?

by Still traumatized from ruining my sex life with a bedroom chandelierreply 8009/07/2017

Is this how you picture yourself?

by Still traumatized from ruining my sex life with a bedroom chandelierreply 8109/07/2017

r80, it's exactly what I said.

by Still traumatized from ruining my sex life with a bedroom chandelierreply 8209/07/2017

It will be cheaper and easier to have the closet guy repaint the wall in the original color. I bet you can get the whole room repainted for less money than it would cost to buy a new headboard.

by Still traumatized from ruining my sex life with a bedroom chandelierreply 8309/08/2017

@ :44

by Still traumatized from ruining my sex life with a bedroom chandelierreply 8409/08/2017

R83 - I completely agree with you. I actually suggested it, but didn't want to overtly demand it - so the landlord just kind of ignored it when I said it. She's strange. She asked twice if I'd keep a subscription to their "reverse osmosis water service plan" for $40 a month - as if I am that high maintenance about water... but won't paint the wall like every landlord does? Anyway, I think if I come out and state - can I just pay for the extra cost to repaint the wall, there's no reason for her to say no, other than the extra time it would take. She already said "it was just painted last year" though.

Aside from that, I honestly like the look of a headboard vs. a bare wall. The paint in there is a little strange too - like super-light-green or something. I'm getting a new mattress and sheets (upgrading to a King size & new bedding is just adding up). I took the advice of several people here & got the matching headboard - but I found it in a curved top which IMO has a less harsh / commercial look. Of course, it is on back order and I won't get it until November & with Pottery Barn that probably mean March 2018 (I have dealt with them before and they are the worst). The one in the pic above is confirmed cancelled.

by Still traumatized from ruining my sex life with a bedroom chandelierreply 8509/08/2017

R68 if you want to see my furniture... I am not brave enough to post my bedroom on DL - but it was manufactured by Cresent 10 years ago and is basically still kind of similar. It's their "Newport" line, except back then it was more curved and less beveled.

I just have the tall dresser & bedside table. The rest of the things in there are from a variety of stores accumulated over the years & probably getting put in a guest room now that I have one. Crescent has a bed in this collection, and I had that bed 10 years ago and it was noisy as hell. Trying to return it was a huge pain in the ass, and I got it at a normal furniture store, not online. They probably all aren't noisy, but it just seemed kind of massive too (and that was just a queen).

FWIW - I consulted DL's sheet / linens threads heavily while updating all of the stuff I needed for a King bed. I better sleep like a fucking baby on xanax at this point.

by Still traumatized from ruining my sex life with a bedroom chandelierreply 8609/08/2017

Not a fan of these upholstered headboards/beds as I tend to think of the longterm and picture stains.

by Still traumatized from ruining my sex life with a bedroom chandelierreply 8709/08/2017

OP, do not buy that black leather one - it is absolutely dreary. The first wood poster is nice and minimal and will go perfectly with your white linens.

Agree with posters suggestin a Scandinavian look.

by Still traumatized from ruining my sex life with a bedroom chandelierreply 8809/08/2017

OP might ask himself why his whole life is built around the next hook-up.

by Still traumatized from ruining my sex life with a bedroom chandelierreply 8909/08/2017

R89 - reread the thread. (e.g., R39)

Everyone else is going on about cum stains, etc... not me. I just have a combo of bad taste and queeny taste (r24) - and it's embarrassing beyond hooking up, which I rarely ever do anymore. I'm moving to an area with maybe 10 gay people anyway. The point wasn't just that it was a dick-wilting bed but that it was very tacky, as pointed out by virtually everyone.

by Still traumatized from ruining my sex life with a bedroom chandelierreply 9009/08/2017

I'm sort of in love with R5's term "dick winter". Now is the winter of our dicks content.

by Still traumatized from ruining my sex life with a bedroom chandelierreply 9109/08/2017

OP, you seem to know yourself well and should choose something frilly and queeny. You'll be happiest then. Only decorate for yourself.

Plus, a lot of guys find that sexy. Fuck 'em if they don't.

Here's an outfit to match.

by Still traumatized from ruining my sex life with a bedroom chandelierreply 9209/08/2017

R92 may be onto something.

It's like I really want a shabby chic English cottage, overstuffed, cabbage rose sitting room in my next house. Of course I am well aware of how tired and over that look is. But if it makes me happy and comfortable, then I should go with my feelings.

OP you sound like a very decent guy. I would get the headboard which YOU enjoy looking at daily...cum stains be damned and dicks be wilted!

by Still traumatized from ruining my sex life with a bedroom chandelierreply 9309/08/2017

Well, Pottery Barn is on backorder till November... so I suppose I can change my mind. I thought the tufted white velvet thing looked pretty gay but also kind of like a fluffy comfortable bed... I spent a ridiculous amount of money on linens, so I was trying to keep this cheaper than another pottery barn thing. Wayfair was decently priced. I think it sticks out a little too much & maybe isn't that practical to keep clean (velvet and white... probably a magnet for everything).

It's also a bit ridiculous with all the things I'm working around like dirty walls and a vent under where the bed goes. So, I can't use a lower frame or a cheap bed skirt. I wanted to spend the money on really comfortable sheets and a comforter and it mostly went into this.

by Still traumatized from ruining my sex life with a bedroom chandelierreply 9409/08/2017

R92 makes a very good point!

by Still traumatized from ruining my sex life with a bedroom chandelierreply 9509/08/2017

Your bedroom furniture is of absolutely no concern to me. How's your ass?

by Still traumatized from ruining my sex life with a bedroom chandelierreply 9609/08/2017

Op, get what you like and ignore the critics.

by Still traumatized from ruining my sex life with a bedroom chandelierreply 9709/08/2017

What about a woven head board? It's soft but more masculine and less delicate than fabric.

by Still traumatized from ruining my sex life with a bedroom chandelierreply 9809/08/2017

Looks itchy, R98.

by Still traumatized from ruining my sex life with a bedroom chandelierreply 9909/08/2017

I never even considered the cum on the headboard issue and now I don't feel gay enough

by Still traumatized from ruining my sex life with a bedroom chandelierreply 10009/08/2017

$20

by Still traumatized from ruining my sex life with a bedroom chandelierreply 10109/08/2017

Removable wall paper or liquid starch will hold fabric to a wall...you can remove it with no damage

by Still traumatized from ruining my sex life with a bedroom chandelierreply 10209/08/2017

In keeping with R101's pic, have you considered Contact paper? You can get anything, from fake wood or marble to floral to stripes to holographic silver!

by Still traumatized from ruining my sex life with a bedroom chandelierreply 10309/08/2017

I kind of like this one, OP. Sort of Zen Western. You ought to be able to put it together yourself for 100 bucks at Lowe's and a trip to the garden center. It might even inspire your gentlemen callers to keep their hats and boots on for an additional thrill.

by Still traumatized from ruining my sex life with a bedroom chandelierreply 10409/08/2017

Or if you want to go full Wyatt Earp:

by Still traumatized from ruining my sex life with a bedroom chandelierreply 10509/08/2017

.....or if you want to inspire your dates to imagine they're Aaron Rodgers invading Russell Wilson's end zone:

by Still traumatized from ruining my sex life with a bedroom chandelierreply 10609/08/2017

R69 looks like a stack of firewood.

by Still traumatized from ruining my sex life with a bedroom chandelierreply 10709/08/2017

Why is there a floor vent in exactly the only spot to place a bed, OP?

by Still traumatized from ruining my sex life with a bedroom chandelierreply 10809/09/2017

My partner and I built something like this rather than purchase a new headboard. Ours is less rustic but still masculine. I like it a lot. Easy to do just takes a bit of time to rip and stain the wood. Attaches to wall with brad nails.

If we didn't have the time or tools to build our own stuff I'd buy at Overstock rather than continue to buy over priced furniture at Pottery Barn O has a good selection of nice beds at good prices IMO. We brought one there for a guest bedroom.

by Still traumatized from ruining my sex life with a bedroom chandelierreply 10909/09/2017

The tufted things look like something out of the 50s. Dick wilter in the sense that it gives off the "he's a frau" vibe and as numerous people have noted the fabric will keep cum stains. A chandelier will just make you seem like some sad old queen

by Still traumatized from ruining my sex life with a bedroom chandelierreply 11009/09/2017

Oh, God, R109. PLEASE no more shiplap. We're sorry we ever started that trend.

by Still traumatized from ruining my sex life with a bedroom chandelierreply 11109/09/2017

R110 depends on the chandelier! They don't all look the same, you know.

by Still traumatized from ruining my sex life with a bedroom chandelierreply 11209/09/2017

OP,

That is too gay even for me!

by Still traumatized from ruining my sex life with a bedroom chandelierreply 11309/09/2017

OP, if you are a queen who wants to flaunt your fabulous-ness (even more than you have with the chandelier), go for the diamond tufted headboard. Note though that velvet, especially low quality velvet (used on most mass-market products sold in department stores or furniture outlets), will "crush" over time. If you read or watch TV in bed in the same spot each night, over time a mark will form where you rest your head. Low quality, dark color velvets made of certain synthetic fibers will develop a sheen in these areas. And any oils from your head or hair will eventually leave a mark and that will be more pronounced on lighter colors.

by Still traumatized from ruining my sex life with a bedroom chandelierreply 11409/09/2017

As a poster mentioned upthread, it would probably be less expensive to pay to have the room repainted than to buy a headboard. A room repaint has the biggest effect on the look of a room. And you get to choose the color. You could also very easily have someone repaint the one wall behind the bed with the room color. Pay the painters to do that when they paint the closets.

If you are going the headboard route go simple and tailored.

by Still traumatized from ruining my sex life with a bedroom chandelierreply 11509/09/2017

[quote]I didn't really want a headboard until the landlord informed me yesterday that they are not repainting the wall where the bed is.

You can always paint the room before you move out, you know.

by Still traumatized from ruining my sex life with a bedroom chandelierreply 11609/09/2017

Oh, or rather, you can always paint the wall yourself if the headboard is to cover the wall.

by Still traumatized from ruining my sex life with a bedroom chandelierreply 11709/09/2017

Feng shui suggests a solid headboard and also gives advice on locating the bed on the compass and in relation to doors, windows, ceiling and other rooms in the house. I think its important to have a solid headboard or if not, then the bed against a wall. There should be airflow around the bed completely, so nothing stored under the bed.

No exposed beams or chandeliers over the bed.

Hippy germans are very into having beds with no metal. This seems to be a popular dictum among the esoteric set in central europe. All wood beds, carefully placed in the room.

Also, needless to say there should be very limited electrical gadgets in the bedroom and very little metal. Some people go to the extreme and cut the circuit breaker so there are no active electrical lines in the surrounding walls, while sleeping.

People in couples or who would like to form a couple should NOT have beds with a headboard that somehow divides, in design, down the centre.

by Still traumatized from ruining my sex life with a bedroom chandelierreply 11809/09/2017

Iron or brass beds with barred headboards are of course, a metaphorical prison. Don't sleep in a prison.

by Still traumatized from ruining my sex life with a bedroom chandelierreply 11909/09/2017

Unless it looks like this, the bed is completely inconsequential.

by Still traumatized from ruining my sex life with a bedroom chandelierreply 12009/09/2017

R109 has the right idea. I did the same with a platform bed after searching for a reasonably priced platform base and decent mattress for my guest room. I was able to pay for a wall hanging/ headboard mounted to the wall, made of repurposed denim. I treated the fabric with a lot of Scotchguard to make it stain resistant and cleanable. It is attractive and easily replaced when I want to re-decorate.

The same can be done with almost any material you choose.

by Still traumatized from ruining my sex life with a bedroom chandelierreply 12109/09/2017

OP...

by Still traumatized from ruining my sex life with a bedroom chandelierreply 12209/09/2017

R122 I want that phone!

by Still traumatized from ruining my sex life with a bedroom chandelierreply 12309/09/2017

OP, why the king-sized bed when you live alone? That's an awful lot of wasted space, imo.

by Still traumatized from ruining my sex life with a bedroom chandelierreply 12409/09/2017

R124 Nothing is better than having a whole king size bed to yourself. When I ended the 25 year LTR I was in, I thought I should downsize to a queen. That thought lasted about 2 seconds. No thanks. I have the room (and all the linens), so I'm enjoying it.

by Still traumatized from ruining my sex life with a bedroom chandelierreply 12509/12/2017

With a headboard like that, there's nothing for the bottom to grab on to.

by Still traumatized from ruining my sex life with a bedroom chandelierreply 12609/12/2017

I have a king sized bed and sleep alone. It is heaven and I sprawl out naked and sometimes wake up sideways in the bed. It is divine.

by Still traumatized from ruining my sex life with a bedroom chandelierreply 12709/12/2017

Not "bliss," R127?

by Still traumatized from ruining my sex life with a bedroom chandelierreply 12809/12/2017

OP, a friend of mine restores furniture and he often deals with wood or painted headboards with grease spots from hair gel and the like. He uses a solution of Dawn dishwashing liquid in hot water to break up the grease. I would try that on the wall, with a terry cloth washcloth if the paint is in relatively good condition. If it's flat paint, use a sponge. Start there. Even if you paint you should try to get that grease and dirt off.

Secondly, it isn't hard to paint a wall. Put a heavy plastic drop cloth on the floor. A large one that covers as much as possible. If you can't remove the bed then just put it in the middle and put another drop cloth over the whole bed too. Second, put painter's tape on the top of the baseboard and tape the plastic drop cloth to it. Third, if you are worried about drips you are using too much paint. Roll the paint off more, or if you're not good at applying paint, get a medium or small, not large, roller and a 2-3" brush. For around the ceiling and windows, painters tape again. Get a cheap artist's brush, the little ones like people use for painting pictures. They sell them in variety packs at Home Depot. You have a lot more control with that if you have to paint some little corner or smooth out some little spot. Take all the electrical plates off.

Only pour a small amount of paint at a time into the paint tray and use that up before you go on to the next bit. It will take longer but it's much neater and less waste. Get a small table or nightstand, put a plastic drop cloth over that and use it for your work surface in the middle of the room. Put all your materials on it.

It takes 2-3 coats to make paint look good. You can get paint with the primer already in it. Benjamin Moore paint is pretty thick and easy to use. If money is an issue, I used Glidden with primer in it last time, their best paint, and it was easier than I thought it would be to use, and worked very well. As soon as you finish painting, immediately take off the painters tape. While it is still wet. There is a product called "Goof Off" which will remove paint if you get it off within a day. Have some on hand just in case. If you don't need it you can return it. Have some paper towels and a bottle of water on hand to wipe up anything on the baseboard.

Check the baseboard the second you're done painting for spills. If you do spill on the trim, it is usually Home Depot Behr Swiss Coffee semi gloss. I believe they have a specific paint for trim if you want to redo it all. You can buy a sample size for touch ups for a few bucks. The standard wall color is usually Swiss Coffee flat or eggshell. If you buy paint with primer already in it, it will go over anything that's there.

Do a coat in the morning, let it dry four hours or more, do a coat after lunch. Do a coat the next morning. Done. You might not even have to do a third coat, maybe some touch ups. It's not hard. Man up.

A color that looks good with oatmeal is Navajo White, it's a darker ivory neutral. All the paint companies make some version. Or if you get BM paint, they have a lot of "whites" (ivories) that wil go with you stuff. Don't do stark white, it's harsh and doesn't go with a lot of stuff. A warm ivory is more neutral. Another popular paint color is BM Revere Pewter. They use that to stage houses because it goes with everything. and it will go with oatmeal. If it's too expensive, get a BM paint chip card, take it to Home Depot, and have them mix it with primer in one of their better paints. It won't be a perfect match, but close enough. Check the color before you leave the paint counter.

If you are stuck with oatmeal as your furniture color, go masculine with the paint color. Look at these colors.

by Still traumatized from ruining my sex life with a bedroom chandelierreply 12909/12/2017

This is a Revere Pewter bedroom.

by Still traumatized from ruining my sex life with a bedroom chandelierreply 13009/12/2017

Dick wilter ^^

by Still traumatized from ruining my sex life with a bedroom chandelierreply 13109/12/2017

This is BM Navajo White.

by Still traumatized from ruining my sex life with a bedroom chandelierreply 13209/12/2017

I like 80's loft stark white myself.

by Still traumatized from ruining my sex life with a bedroom chandelierreply 13309/12/2017

Jesus H Christ! Looking through this thread there is more strategy going into buying a cheap bed than went into D-Day. I was out walking around, saw a bed in the window of a store, went in and ordered the fuckin' thing with the options I wanted paid for it and walked out. See link.

Fuckin' A! It's a bed, not an annuity!

by Still traumatized from ruining my sex life with a bedroom chandelierreply 13409/12/2017

r134 that's a prison cell bed. Awful. You should give more thought to these things.

by Still traumatized from ruining my sex life with a bedroom chandelierreply 13509/12/2017

Well, r134, some of us spend more time in bed than others. If you get my drift.

by Still traumatized from ruining my sex life with a bedroom chandelierreply 13609/12/2017

Mattress is the important part. You don't *see* the bed when you're in it.

by Still traumatized from ruining my sex life with a bedroom chandelierreply 13709/12/2017

R135 I was going to say that's a typical DL overstatement, but looking at the bed ... well, it's certainly not anything I'd ever pick out.

by Still traumatized from ruining my sex life with a bedroom chandelierreply 13809/12/2017

Easier than painting and better to hit with heads

by Still traumatized from ruining my sex life with a bedroom chandelierreply 13909/12/2017

@R135 Having never been to prison I wouldn't know. I've had no complaints nor did I furnish by committee but then I'm not fucking the editorial staff of House Beautiful, either. Didn't even *need* it; just saw it and liked it.

by Still traumatized from ruining my sex life with a bedroom chandelierreply 14009/13/2017

That headboard would be fine for a man if it was done in a dark leather. But velvet? Dear God no. It's just not done, unless you're in the process of transitioning.

by Still traumatized from ruining my sex life with a bedroom chandelierreply 14109/13/2017

I don't have a headboard. I used to care so much about having this stuff. Now, I just don't.

by Still traumatized from ruining my sex life with a bedroom chandelierreply 14209/13/2017

True, R134. But look what you ended up with.

by Still traumatized from ruining my sex life with a bedroom chandelierreply 14309/13/2017

What R36 said. You're just asking for stains, and after a few years it will look like a Jackson Pollock painting.

Go for wood.

by Still traumatized from ruining my sex life with a bedroom chandelierreply 14409/13/2017

R28 we should all that "problem". ( sigh)

by Still traumatized from ruining my sex life with a bedroom chandelierreply 14509/13/2017

@R143 A bed I like that took all of thirty minutes to see, customize, and buy, no hand-wringing needed? Worth every penny. Can't wait for the thread where the OP seeks advice on sheets and blankets.

by Still traumatized from ruining my sex life with a bedroom chandelierreply 14609/13/2017

Not only is it a dick wilter, it's also a nice place for bedbugs to hide or any kind of mites for that matter. My brother picked one up from the street (in great condition), boy was he in for a surprise as it was completely occupied by bedbugs!

by Still traumatized from ruining my sex life with a bedroom chandelierreply 14709/13/2017

OP, you sound like a sweetie, but those tufted headboards are god-awful. They are like something from a 1950s movie about some ditsy broad. And boy, will they get dross and grimy in a very short time. Get the wall painted and get yourself a bunch of big pillows to lie back on.

by Still traumatized from ruining my sex life with a bedroom chandelierreply 14809/13/2017

R147, that's disgusting!

When my crackhead neighbour gave me bedbugs half a decade ago, I had to get rid of my hide-a-bed. After dragging it out to the garbage bin, I took a utility knife and slashed the hell out of both the couch and the mattress so that nobody would take it.

Then again, I'm a *good* person who doesn't think it's funny to infest other people with bedbugs.

by Still traumatized from ruining my sex life with a bedroom chandelierreply 14909/25/2017
Need more help? Click Here.

Follow theDL catch up on what you missed

recent threads by topic delivered to your email

follow popular threads on twitter

follow us on facebook

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!