Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Bedknobs and Broomsticks is the greatest movie ever made

Agreeing with that statement is a qualification for deserving to live.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 41April 23, 2018 11:46 PM

The OP = Marion Lorne, talking from the grave

by Anonymousreply 1September 5, 2017 5:26 AM

Marion Lorne died before that movie came out, you tool!

by Anonymousreply 2September 5, 2017 5:28 AM

Matt, go fuck off, you aspie Loon.

by Anonymousreply 3September 5, 2017 5:31 AM

For the record, this OP gives me the creeps.

by Anonymousreply 4September 5, 2017 5:33 AM

R3, shouldn't you get the warts on your perineum checked out?

by Anonymousreply 5September 5, 2017 5:33 AM

reasons why 'Bedknobs and Broomsticks' is better than [anti-gay hate speech redacted]

* the songs are better.

* it has nazis, ghosts and the occult.

* david tomlinson is much better in it.

* it has classic lines like “what’s that got to do with my knob?”.

* the cat, cosmic creepers is much better than boring, stupid andrew the dog.

* Oscar or no Oscar, Angela Lansbury can actually act. Julie Andrews never managed to transcend her own personality in anything she did, whereas Angela Lansbury could convincingly create characters who are unlike each other.

*The people Reginald Owen shoots at actually deserve to be shot at.

*The children can actually act and are not cutesy and annoying.

*It actually has a plot.

*The characters are actually worth caring about.

*The end of the film shows Miss Price still taking care of the children without Mr. Browne around as he's gone off to war.

* "Portobello Road" shows that England is not racially homogenous, and it also features women dancing with women, men dancing with men, and Miss Price dancing with both. That's a lot better than white male chimney sweeps with soot on their face constantly shouting "Step In" as in Stepin Fetchit, who is now considered an embarrassment. Which makes the suppression of Song of the South, which is also superior to this retrograde mess and actually had people of color in it in lead roles (the only Disney hybrid to do so), all the more appalling.

* Mr. Browne can cook, juggle, play piano, and is not ashamed to wear an apron.

* It shows a man in a kilt is still a man.

* Roddy McDowall is in it.

* They use magic to beat up Nazis.

* King Leonidas doesn't decapitate birds to make them umbrellas: he just yells at them and blows their clothes off.

* They don't demonize men or women, nor is there a transparent and heavy-handed attempt by heterosexual male filmmakers to project their own sexism onto feminists.

* It doesn't ask us to care about usurers. Some religious fundamentalists criticized the film's glorification of witchcraft, but usury is a greater sin.

• It is willing to show the negative side of Christianity.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 6September 5, 2017 5:34 AM

I loved Bedknobs and Broomsticks, OP! It's my second-favorite movie next to Mary Poppins.

by Anonymousreply 7September 5, 2017 5:48 AM

R7, you need to realize how just how hurtful the latter film is and how hateful it is when you think about it. Even its name is hate speech. And not only did abusive teachers show it to me (the abuse was repeated and was not during the time they made us watch it, but if only that were the only form of abuse I was subjected to by these bullies' rights advocates known as government school employees). Disney stacked the deck against B&B by cutting the emotional core of the story but wasn't dumb enough to throw most of it away like some studios might have (this means you, Fox, who lost all of the [italic]Cleopatra[/italic] outtakes and who knows what else). There are those who believe that after Walt died some at the studio wanted to take the Shermans and others who were close to Walt down a peg for some reason. But to not make the mostly-uncut version available on Blu-ray and to take it off the streaming platforms where it is available is unforgivable but not undoable. Now do you see why I'm so defensive of this film. Fans have to defend its very existence against people who harass me for preferring this one.

by Anonymousreply 8September 5, 2017 5:54 AM

You said the same shit about "Escape To Witch Mountain"

by Anonymousreply 9September 5, 2017 6:01 AM

I liked Escape to Witch Mountain.

by Anonymousreply 10September 5, 2017 6:01 AM

The boundaries have been stated.

by Anonymousreply 11September 5, 2017 6:02 AM

[quote] You said the same shit about "Escape To Witch Mountain"

Good movie, not great. The sequel had better effects and Bette Davis hovering over a shirtless Ike Eisenmann as he's strapped to a table in a lab, bit the first one has a better story. I didn't see the Dwayne Johnson re-do.

by Anonymousreply 12September 5, 2017 6:02 AM

[quote]Mr. Browne can cook, juggle, play piano, and is not ashamed to wear an apron.

LOL

by Anonymousreply 13September 5, 2017 6:02 AM

Yes! It all make sense now. Thanks, OP! From now on, it's Chitty Chitty Bang Bang for me. I do also love Herbie the LoveBug, but I hear he's a cheater, so I'll stick with the tried and true.

by Anonymousreply 14September 5, 2017 6:04 AM

[quote]From now on, it's Chitty Chitty Bang Bang for me.

You mean the movie where Dick Van Dyke wears makeup?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 15September 5, 2017 6:09 AM

They don't compare to Walt Disney's masterpiece:

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 16September 5, 2017 6:09 AM

R16: That's a song for a different kind of south.

by Anonymousreply 17September 5, 2017 6:13 AM

[quote]you need to realize how just how hurtful the latter film is and how hateful it is when you think about it.

And YOU need to realize that you're only one opinion. No one is required to adhere to your beliefs.

If you weren't such a jerk, maybe you'd find someone who agrees with you.

And get a haircut, that hair is a mess and doesn't do you any favors.

by Anonymousreply 18September 5, 2017 6:14 AM

R18, you've got a lot of nerve calling me a jerk after the kind of threats, harassment stalking and doxxing I have received and especially in a place where the line between death threats and catchphrases is nonexistent. Who knew that defending the artistic merits of this film would put your life in danger!

by Anonymousreply 19September 5, 2017 6:22 AM

Spare me the talk about "respecting others' opinions" after what people do to me for expressing mine. So gay men aren't even safe on a gay website anymore.

by Anonymousreply 20September 5, 2017 6:24 AM

It's been so long since I've seen the movie that I forgot there were good people on both sides of the conflict.

by Anonymousreply 21September 5, 2017 6:45 AM

R21: And the actor playing the head Nazi actually escaped Nazi Germany.

by Anonymousreply 22September 5, 2017 6:47 AM

[quote] It's been so long since I've seen the movie that I forgot there were good people on both sides of the conflict.

And before this, Angela made [italic]Something For Everyone[/italic] about a German family that survived Nazism but ended up broke. And it has Michael York in his underwear.

by Anonymousreply 23September 5, 2017 6:49 AM

[quote]Spare me the talk about "respecting others' opinions" after what people do to me for expressing mine.

Oh grow up for fuck's sake. No one cares shit about your opinion, it's the fact that you think it's the only acceptable one - and that you make threatening comments like "Agreeing with that statement is a qualification for deserving to live" that make you loathed by pretty much everyone on this site.

You have no humility, no humanity, no rational thinking.

I have no idea who discovered your name, but you can't be "doxxed" if you have a FB that's open to the public. That's your own damn fault,

by Anonymousreply 24September 5, 2017 6:54 AM

There are a bunch of other threads which are duplicates, this is the real one. Please do not, repeat DO NOT, reply to those

by Anonymousreply 25September 5, 2017 7:00 AM

But what if cracker breeder goyim like bedknobs and broomsticks? Does OP explode?

by Anonymousreply 26September 5, 2017 7:08 AM

It's no Song of Norway.

by Anonymousreply 27September 5, 2017 7:15 AM

Nothing easier than discovering the identity of someone who types the phrase "cracker breeder goyim" ad nauseam all over the internet.

by Anonymousreply 28September 5, 2017 8:33 AM

I'm glad my movies have created such joy and harmony in the world.

by Anonymousreply 29September 5, 2017 10:46 AM

[quote] Oh grow up for fuck's sake.

Been there, done that. You join me.

[quote]No one cares shit about your opinion

That's why you're assholes.

[quote]it's the fact that you think it's the only acceptable one

It is the only acceptable one.

[quote]and that you make threatening comments like "Agreeing with that statement is a qualification for deserving to live" that make you loathed by pretty much everyone on this site.

If you can't see why this movie is so great then it's your fault, not mine, or not the filmmakers. Being nice to stupid people just enables their stupidity.

[quote]You have no humility, no humanity, no rational thinking.

Showing it to the likes of you is casting pearls before swine.

by Anonymousreply 30September 5, 2017 10:52 AM

All at Disney who worked hard to put the movie back together deserve praise, but whoever decided to undo all their hard work rather than make technical fixes that were not possible in 1996 should be fired and blacklisted from the motion picture industry for life.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 31September 14, 2017 9:54 AM

The greatest movie ever made is coming to the theater at long last. And Richard M. Sherman has not been legally screwed out of it.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 32April 23, 2018 7:48 PM

Yawn. Oh, Matt. You are so dreary and dull. Blocked and ignored.

by Anonymousreply 33April 23, 2018 7:50 PM

I never liked Bedknobs and Hockeysticks as much as Mary Poppins.

by Anonymousreply 34April 23, 2018 7:51 PM

R33, you will die single and lonely. I won't.

by Anonymousreply 35April 23, 2018 7:53 PM

I've never seen this movie but if Matt worships it, it has to suck.

by Anonymousreply 36April 23, 2018 7:56 PM

At least I don't like 2nd, no wait, 3rd rate movies, R35.

by Anonymousreply 37April 23, 2018 7:57 PM

Yes you do if you hate this and like that stupid umbrella bitch fiasco.

by Anonymousreply 38April 23, 2018 7:58 PM

R36, you are only depriving yourself by not watching it.

by Anonymousreply 39April 23, 2018 7:58 PM

R34, both of those movies are inferior to [italic]Bedknobs and Broomsticks[/italic]. Until you admit that, you are a nonperson.

by Anonymousreply 40April 23, 2018 8:00 PM

This is the greatest movie of all time

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 41April 23, 2018 11:46 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!