Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Salvation

Is it any good? That Asian guy is hot. Will they make it a series when it is over like they did Dome? I may binge it if it'a a one off.

Thanks

by Anonymousreply 11October 3, 2018 5:45 AM

I've been watching it lately. The half Asian guy (I assume half) is pretty hot actually, especially with his shirt off.

The show, on the other hand, is terrible. Lazy, cliched writing, characters written as broadly as possible who do random shit for no apparent reason, people sleeping with each other at the drop of a hat, bizarre decisions that make no sense, bad science (did you know astrophysicists are also hackers and expert programmers?) The complete lack of realistic governmental protocols or knowledge of how the government actually works, the positioning of Russians as good guys and Americans as evil, I think someone actually said "if we do that then we're no better than them!" or "no, we have to follow the rule of law!" which is a plot trope to avoid having a character do the obvious and most logical thing. There's many grand speeches about America and humanity and blah that are so ridiculed with cliches they are almost painful.

The president is being poisoned in the first season and having severe memory lapses, yet her doctor hasn't realized what's causing it. She recovers from mercury poisoning that almost kills her in just a few days and is perfectly normal after that. Until she gets shot by a bullet, which comes through a window that would obviously be made from bulletproof glass in real life. The tech billionaire wears a fitted shirt that can stop bullets, but the President of the United States doesn't have one (you'd think her clothing would be made from it, since she's the President).

People almost die from gunshot wounds and are fully healed and walking around with no obvious pain in less than two weeks two weeks, without any explanation. One of the guy's sons allegedly is killed, and he barely blinks except for mentioning it as why he's angry in a few speeches. The genius astrophysicist kid makes ridiculous decisions, sleeps with every woman who blinks at him (which is every woman he works closely with for a few days). The self-published science-fiction writer woman (frankly it's hard to tell the non-blonde females apart, they all have a similar look) suddenly becomes the personal assistant to the President. The Secret Service are all boobs, until they aren't. The President has no issues going back to his house or his fling's house and spending the night with no visible guards present.

There's some stuff about a rocket to Mars that the billionaire tech guy has been building in perfect secrecy for years, apparently, and the rocketship is basically ignored. Russians launch nuclear missiles on the U.S. without real provocation. One of the missiles (which is somehow actually 12 missiles in one) is hacked and taken control of by a shadowy hacker collective.

The main evil guy in season one has a bad English accent, and then in the second season seems to forget he's supposed to be English and just goes into full Australian accent without even trying to appear English.

The tech billionaire guy has a self-healing nanobot spray that turns anything into indestructible materials that self-heal if they are torn, yet he didn't invent it under his name, he invented it under some Spanish alias because of (lame plot-based reasoning).

It's watchable, but you have to turn your brain off to get through it. I suggest drugs of some kind, it will make the giant plot holes and horrible writing easier to manage. I guess I'm hate-watching. I am almost done with the second season, it doesn't get any better.

The first season is free on Amazon Prime.

by Anonymousreply 1October 1, 2018 7:52 PM

Here's the Asian-y guy. Maybe he's had that eyelid surgery or something because he seems mixed when you watch him on the show.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 2October 1, 2018 7:54 PM

Oh, also people are offered and given jobs that require Congressional approval, with no mention of that, and they are also super quick to resign or offer their resignations. The FBI, NSA, and CIA are barely mentioned, Israeli Mossad is "the best security" you can buy (as an American), a tough-as-nails hacker who threatens to blow up New York with orbiting nukes gets all whiny when someone she hates is mean to her like she can't understand why they would be mean to her!

The world's governments capitulate to terrorists with no problems or qualms because they "have to" (for plot reasons, apparently).

Nothing really makes a lot of sense if you are somewhat intelligent and/or know a little bit about how these things actually work. It's really, really lazy writing. The character development is the worst - people change allegiances on a whim and there's no real reason behind it other than some flimsy plot-driven excuse.

by Anonymousreply 3October 1, 2018 8:09 PM

Oh, and I swear I saw Javascript being displayed on the screen as a "hacking language" or something.

by Anonymousreply 4October 1, 2018 8:11 PM

R2 looks like Ian Anthony Dale, who's been on Hawaii Five-0 and some other police drama.

by Anonymousreply 5October 1, 2018 9:17 PM

That's who it is!

by Anonymousreply 6October 1, 2018 9:33 PM

OMG. A character is pointing a gun at a woman and says "You're a guest here. You should start acting like one." I dont think Miss Manners recommends correcting people's behaviour at gunpoint! Who wrote this crap?

by Anonymousreply 7October 1, 2018 9:36 PM

Okay so at the end of the second season, it's not actually an asteroid, it's a space ship (probably).

And again the plot makes no sense. Why is the US the only government in the world that seems to be able to do something, detect the asteroid, and one person has total control over the nukes at the very last moments before the asteroid is supposed to hit? And if it's as visible as it shows in the last shots of the episode, it was headed directly to Washington D.C., and if they'd shot nuclear bombs towards it then it would mainly have struck around the D.C. area. It's such lazy writing!

by Anonymousreply 8October 2, 2018 12:32 AM

R2 Ian Anthony Dale has an American father of European descent and a Japanese mother who immigrated to the US as a teenager. So he seems mixed because he is mixed.

by Anonymousreply 9October 2, 2018 1:12 AM

So no eyelid surgery then?

by Anonymousreply 10October 2, 2018 5:27 AM

Ok apparently no one watches this show. At least, no gays or Lesbians. I think it's mainly a show for older people who don't know any better and probably liked "Numbers" or "Scorpion" and younger people who stare at the TV while eating nachos.

by Anonymousreply 11October 3, 2018 5:45 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!