Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Tina Turner: Favorite Song

Such a class act, she really should be the ultimate Gay Icon. A Phoenix Risen from the Ashes.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 94November 8, 2018 7:04 PM

[quote]A Phoenix Risen from the Ashes.

Meh. She was always more like a Tucson.

by Anonymousreply 1July 23, 2017 3:43 AM

'We Don't Need Another Hero' should be the Anthem to Trump. We're way beyond Thunderdome!

by Anonymousreply 2July 23, 2017 3:46 AM

"One of The Living"

My favorite video of hers too

by Anonymousreply 3July 23, 2017 3:48 AM

'I don't really want to fight' as cheesy as it may be she sounds truly happy and peaceful on that track.

by Anonymousreply 4July 23, 2017 3:53 AM

Tina Turner, true rock 'n roll royalty.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 5July 23, 2017 3:59 AM

River Deep Mountain High is a fabulous song that I can listen to over and over and it only gets better.

by Anonymousreply 6July 23, 2017 4:02 AM

"'I don't really want to fight' as cheesy as it may be she sounds truly happy and peaceful on that track."

Cheesy? I think it's her absolute best. The restraint she uses makes it all the more poignant.

by Anonymousreply 7July 23, 2017 4:08 AM

Tina Turner is Simply The Best

She knocks 'em dead. She's incredible.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 8July 23, 2017 4:12 AM

It's Only Love with Bryan Adams.

by Anonymousreply 9July 23, 2017 4:14 AM

Anna Mae Bullock aka Tina Turner

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 10July 23, 2017 4:17 AM

On a recent episode of Andy Cohen's show, Rod Stewart said he saw her recently and begged her to end her retirement but she wouldn't budge.

I'm a big fan but her version of Missing You is awful.

by Anonymousreply 11July 23, 2017 4:18 AM

Each time you leave I start losing control. You're walkin' away with with my hear and my soul. I can feel you even when I'm alone. Oh baby, don't let go.

by Anonymousreply 12July 23, 2017 4:19 AM

Is she still alive? Last I heard she got herself a white lover/manservant and was a Buddhist in Switzerland. [eye roll]

by Anonymousreply 13July 23, 2017 4:20 AM

Tina is a citizen of Switzerland.

by Anonymousreply 14July 23, 2017 4:22 AM

R14 Does she meditate in the Swiss Alps?

by Anonymousreply 15July 23, 2017 4:24 AM

Beyonce Who?

Nobody could ever take Tina's place.

by Anonymousreply 16July 23, 2017 4:24 AM

I don't like Tina Turner's music. There, I said it!

I love her but not her voice or music.

by Anonymousreply 17July 23, 2017 4:29 AM

Everything about this blows me away. So raw and real.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 18July 23, 2017 4:37 AM

gives me the chills she does! the real deal sh is.

by Anonymousreply 19July 23, 2017 4:41 AM

[quote] River Deep Mountain High is a fabulous song that I can listen to over and over and it only gets better.

Agreed, even though I picked 'Nutbush City Limits' 'cause it be so rock 'n' roll funKAY!

Phil Spector's production pushes the drama over the top. I'm sure that Ike didn't appreciate the effort at all.

by Anonymousreply 20July 23, 2017 4:52 AM

Only Queen Elizabeth 2nd, do I care about more than Tina Turner, of course that is after family.

by Anonymousreply 21July 23, 2017 4:52 AM

Tina Turner and Cher- Shame Shame Shame

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 22July 23, 2017 5:03 AM

Cher & Tina Turner - Makin Music Is My Business

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 23July 23, 2017 5:05 AM

Tina was such a great entertainer that some people forget what a great singer she is. My favorite "hit" of hers is I Don't Want to Fight and Fool in Love. I love her take on A Change is Gonna Come with sexy ass Robert Cray on guitar. She delivers the soul but doesn't overdo the pain. They do it right, together.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 24July 23, 2017 5:10 AM

What I find cheesy about the song is the production which is typically 90s pop with shmaltzy synthetic music in the background. Her voice elevates it to a sort of perfection.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 25July 23, 2017 1:12 PM

I love her version of I Can't Stand The Rain" It was never a single but she often performed it live at her concerts.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 26July 23, 2017 2:45 PM

"What You Get is What You See" is one of my faves among many. She possibly never looked better than in the western-themed video, and she rocked it in a jean jacket on the tour I am so glad I got to see when she played upstate New York in that era.

I love that she made this sexy video where she never looked out of place with guys probably literally less than half her age, but doesn't fawn over any of them. Some boys just think they're God's gift to women.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 27July 23, 2017 3:00 PM

One of the things I find interesting about her is that even though her early costume was very sexy she managed not to come off as cheap, it was just costume and she and the Ikettes looked great. Also the choreography was provocative without seeming slutty or whorish. My main problem with Beyonce is that she wants to come off as a good proper Southern Christian lady but gets on stage and acts like any other whore. Then makes sure everyone knows that she whores it up for her husband by making a song about it. Bey shouldn't get a pass, she's just as bad as the other pop tarts. She resorted to stripper dancing to keep her audience.

Tina is an immensely talented class act, she brought the sexy and didn't sell out her dignity.

by Anonymousreply 28July 23, 2017 3:14 PM

Ugh, why even being Beyoncé into this? Tina Turner is in a class by herself. No one compares to her, or even comes close.

I always loved her version of "Let's Stay Together". The beginning of her comeback! And I love the Heaven 17 production.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 29July 23, 2017 3:24 PM

Strange that I should find a new thread about her today. Last night I had a dream about her, and I never dream about celebrities.

Always loved her, her music, her image and looks, everything about her. I think she's one of the most beautiful women I've seen. Wish she could live forever ❤️

by Anonymousreply 30July 23, 2017 9:06 PM

Let's Stay Together. Nuff said

by Anonymousreply 31July 23, 2017 9:27 PM

[quote]Rod Stewart said he saw her recently and begged her to end her retirement but she wouldn't budge.

For god's sake, she's pushing 80. Leave the poor woman alone. When Oprah interviewed her in 2014, she said her last tour was exhausting and it would take her an entire day after a show to get her strength back. And that was nearly 10 years ago. If anyone has earned her retirement, it's her.

by Anonymousreply 32July 23, 2017 9:56 PM

Paradise Is Here.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 33July 23, 2017 10:06 PM

Complicated Disaster

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 34July 23, 2017 10:09 PM

I love this clip from Carson. This is Tina just before Private Dancer was released. She still has a shitty band and some weariness of all those endless years in supper clubs and bad lounges after Ike. She's grinding it out but of course she's fucking fabulous and fascinating. And respected. Always. She deserved all the fame and money and adoration that was coming her way. Did she then get lazy? Hell no. She always had the same stage motto: "First establish the pretty, then work your ass off." She got prettier and better. One of a kind.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 35July 23, 2017 10:12 PM

Her version of PROUD MARY(ok, asshole Ike was there, too)is THE DEFINITIVE version of the song. Sorry, CCR, but you can't touch her! She really should've played a super heroine in her younger years.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 36July 23, 2017 10:41 PM

People who use the phrase "ultimate gay icon" do not deserve to have their little poll filled out.

by Anonymousreply 37July 23, 2017 10:45 PM

Tina is the ultimate rise, fall and rise again to unlimited success. No one deserved it more. Tina Turner is a national, make that, international treasure.

by Anonymousreply 38July 23, 2017 11:03 PM

Tina Turner deserves a Kennedy Center Award.

by Anonymousreply 39July 23, 2017 11:04 PM

"Steel Claw"

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 40July 23, 2017 11:06 PM

Unreleased Alternate Version of 1985's "One Of The Living" which can only be heard during the intro credits of "Mad Max: Beyond Thunderdome."

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 41July 23, 2017 11:10 PM

I prefer this Alternate Version of "River Deep, Mountain High" over the Spector version.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 42July 23, 2017 11:14 PM

R26 "I Can't Stand The Rain" was released as a European Single in 1985.

The Extended Version features awesome saxophone not on the album version.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 43July 23, 2017 11:16 PM

I love the whole Private Dancer album, all the singles are classics. However it was the cheesy power ballad I'll Be Thunder from Break Every Rule that really touched me when I was a teen boy dreaming of a tall dark stranger coming to rescue me.

I really enjoy the schmaltzy I Don't Wanna Fight as well.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 44July 23, 2017 11:23 PM

The Steel Claw performance at R35 is much better, Tina is falling off her wheels. What's cool is her enormous success after Private Dancer allowed her for the first time in her hard working life to be a more creative act. She let her vocals and her band shine. The backup girls always, that sexy sax player. Tina still holds the record for the biggest concert audiences ever. More than Springsteen, more than the Stones, more than Beyonce. I've seen them all, and they're all great. Tina's audiences had the most fun I think. She's like someone from the underworld come to rule us all benevolently.

Tina did get a Kennedy Center Honor R39. It wasn't a surprise that Beyonce did Proud Mary. Not a scratch on the original queen either.

by Anonymousreply 45July 24, 2017 12:12 AM

Love her!

by Anonymousreply 46July 24, 2017 12:17 AM

Thank You kindly r35 for the Carson clip. What a treat to see this! I think she and her band were awesome here. They were all flawless!

by Anonymousreply 47July 24, 2017 12:56 AM

Hey R47. I am glad you liked it. I won't belabor what I said, Tina was fantastic. Piano player great. The band, no.

I love seeing her like that. She didn't change much with big success, but there's something so damn hard working about her on the Carson show that makes me appreciate how much more she seemed to enjoy herself later. That sexy cooch dancing was something else. She would never wear a costume like that again for one....ha.

by Anonymousreply 48July 24, 2017 1:45 AM

I got another one for you though. Tina sings my favorite later song of hers and indeed looks happy and young and grown. Letterman says " You knock me out, let's get married." No one is ageless, but she was something else.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 49July 24, 2017 2:00 AM

If one more of you bawbags calls I Dont Wanna Fight schmaltzy...

by Anonymousreply 50July 24, 2017 4:23 AM

No one's said it so I'll throw out "I Don't Wanna Lose You" as a solo highlight. Her tone and force can be grating but she's quite smooth on this one.

by Anonymousreply 51July 24, 2017 4:25 AM

Most blacks will admit they are more suited to be slaves than trying to live in modern society. Not to mention, the Bible says nonwhites r our slaves.

by Anonymousreply 52July 24, 2017 4:27 AM

I think this song doesn't receive enough attention these days.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 53July 24, 2017 4:52 AM

I love "Two People", r53. From the underrated 'Break Every Rule' LP which is a great pop album.

by Anonymousreply 54July 24, 2017 11:31 AM

Kind of amazing, r35, that Carson would give her nine minutes and two numbers on his show in 1982, before her enormous comeback (her big shows at the Ritz in NY were scheduled, but hadn't happened yet). He and/or his producers must have known and loved her.

I remember when her first MTV video started airing (was it Ball and Chain? Before "What's Love"), host JJ Jackson called her "the Burner, Tina Turner." People say Michael Jackson broke a race barrier at MTV, but Tina was a rocker and her videos were on before his.

And then she went on to become the stadium-playing, Grammy-winning pop culture goddess she always deserved to be.

by Anonymousreply 55July 24, 2017 7:44 PM

Is my hearing failing me or have I not heard the words "Acid Queen" anywhere on this thread yet?

If the award was for changing the energy in the theater, Tina should've gotten an Oscar nomination.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 56July 24, 2017 7:51 PM

@r33, "Paradise Is Here" is one of her most poignant recordings, I love that one. I also love "Something Beautiful Remains" and "Edith and Kingpin."

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 57July 24, 2017 7:59 PM

People forget that MTV started out playing "rock" music and not R&B, Soul, Lite Rock, etc. They gladly played rock artists (Tina) but didn't play R&B artists (Michael) because rock and rock only was the format.

Sorry and end of tangent but it's annoying when people refer to early MTV as racist. It wasn't. They played only rock music in the early days and few non-white acts were making rock music at the time.

by Anonymousreply 58July 24, 2017 8:02 PM

Ladies and Gentleman: The Club Imperial, 6324 West Florissant Avenue in St. Louis Missouri is proud to present our local yokels, Ike and Tina Turner along with the Ikettes doing their #1 smash hit.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 59July 24, 2017 8:03 PM

R58, is MTV's publicist from 1981. MTV has since acknowledged that in those days it had a policy that restricted how many black artists it would play. In that era of music segregation even Black rock artists were categorized as R&B or soul.

by Anonymousreply 60July 25, 2017 2:15 PM

The first video of a black artist I can recall seeing on MTV was Grace Jones' "Demolition Man."

by Anonymousreply 61July 25, 2017 2:17 PM

Eddie Grant rocked down to Electric Avenue in those days, too, r61.

Can't get food for the kids. Good God.

by Anonymousreply 62July 25, 2017 9:25 PM

Tina is the BEST!

by Anonymousreply 63May 2, 2018 8:26 AM

Thanks for the clip R5, Tina's big comeback in the '80s happened when I was about 9, 10, 11 so while I was aware of her, I thought of her as being someone for my parents and I was more into Madonna. It wasn't until I saw the film 'What's Love Got to Do with it' in my early 20s and I heard River Deep, Mountain High that I became a fan. As the years pass I appreciate her more and more and while I have vague recollections of 'Better Be Good to Me' from my childhood, I had forgotten/never realised what a terrific song. Tina really is someting special. Forget being a gay icon, she's a friggin national treasure. (Mary, I know, and proud of it!)

by Anonymousreply 64May 2, 2018 9:38 AM

[quote]I have vague recollections of 'Better Be Good to Me' from my childhood, I had forgotten/never realised what a terrific song.

Yes, r64, and she kicked ass doing it live for many years. This clip is from a year or two before I went to my one and only Tina Turner concert, which was easily one of the best live performances I ever attended. Love her and wish her well in retirement.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 65May 4, 2018 2:39 AM

Nutbush!!

Here, R20.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 66May 4, 2018 3:15 AM

Another vote for Better Be Good to Me. Her wailing of the line "Should I" is everything!

by Anonymousreply 67May 4, 2018 3:38 AM

I hum Nutbush City Limits practically every other morning when getting ready for work. It gets me going!

by Anonymousreply 68May 4, 2018 5:17 AM

One of the Living

by Anonymousreply 69May 4, 2018 5:29 AM

Tina joins Mick Jagger at Live Aid in Philly, broadcast live worldwide, 1985.

Sure, there was some stripping, but it was for charity. It's Only Rock and Roll, but I like it.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 70May 4, 2018 4:36 PM

Steamy Windows...coming from our body heat

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 71May 6, 2018 8:39 PM

She is timeless. Watched Gayle interview her this morning and even with her recent health problems, she's still spot on.

by Anonymousreply 72October 16, 2018 6:03 AM

I didn't realise Lulu wrote I Dont Wanna Fight. You can tell Tina loves that one when she sings it live.

by Anonymousreply 73October 16, 2018 7:27 AM

I was shocked to hear about her recent health problems. She always seemed invincible. And she seemed to have taken good care of herself physically.

by Anonymousreply 74October 23, 2018 6:34 PM

I don't wanna fight is a fantastic song. Absolutely incredible!

by Anonymousreply 75October 23, 2018 6:57 PM

An ad for the Australia Rugby League was made when I was a kidlet to attract women to the game, with Tina Turner belting out WHAT YOU GET IS WHAT YOU SEE*. It attracted a lot of men to the game as well.

*perhaps hoping that the viewers didn’t hear the next line “then I don’t want your kind of love”.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 76October 23, 2018 7:00 PM

I've always had a soft spot for the song "What You Get Is What You See".

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 77October 23, 2018 7:00 PM

Better Be Good To Me is amazing!

by Anonymousreply 78October 24, 2018 9:32 AM

On Silent Wings

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 79October 24, 2018 11:43 AM

I prefer this little ditty that showcases Tina's powerful singing chops.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 80October 24, 2018 11:50 AM

The Best is the best. Love that song.

by Anonymousreply 81October 24, 2018 12:13 PM

Love Private Dancer too. -R81.

by Anonymousreply 82October 24, 2018 12:14 PM

A lot of great songs, but another vote for One of the Living (and the great video too)

by Anonymousreply 83October 24, 2018 12:34 PM

Code della vita - great duet

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 84October 24, 2018 12:40 PM

R35, many thanks for sharing that awesome clip. I think Tina AND her band were awesome in that clip. They truly rocked and that is exactly what was hot at the time! Those band members were both talented and hot! She knew how to put a band together!

by Anonymousreply 85October 24, 2018 1:01 PM

Can any of you tell me what he song, Steel Claw, in r35 post means? It's a complex lyric, and there are a lot of words to it, I googled it, but I am not able to find out the meaning.

by Anonymousreply 86October 25, 2018 1:42 AM

Foreign Affair!! It's so kitschy and wonderful. I love her live performances of it w the Sexy Sax Man.

by Anonymousreply 87October 25, 2018 2:25 AM

[quote] Tina Turner is Simply The Best

SO clever!!!

by Anonymousreply 88October 25, 2018 2:27 AM

David Bowie wrote "Girls" for Tina. I love the song and video. It gives me strong sapphic vibes.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 89October 25, 2018 2:52 AM

Mine is a cover she did of Delbert McClinton's "Giving It Up for Your Love," or the cover she did of Bob Seger's "Hollywood Nights."

As far as originally recorded by Tina, I'd say "Steel Claw."

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 90October 25, 2018 4:36 AM

"Steel Claw" is about poverty in a community and The Haves vs. The Have-Nots.

by Anonymousreply 91October 25, 2018 4:37 AM

Great woman. I've been listening to her YouTube channel to unwind at night.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 92October 25, 2018 4:43 AM

R90 Post those covers

by Anonymousreply 93October 25, 2018 6:37 AM

Janis Joplin thought Tina was the best everything ever. There's some interesting subtext revealed in her necessary mention of Ike:

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 94November 8, 2018 7:04 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!