Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Have you ever been homeless?

I spent a couple of years in my later teens as a "street youth." Not pleasant.

by Anonymousreply 119November 25, 2019 9:47 PM

No but I could be. It's scary.

by Anonymousreply 1July 23, 2017 1:53 AM

OP, you mean you were a street hustler?

by Anonymousreply 2July 23, 2017 1:55 AM

Yes and in too many places. I could always run back him to mom but I did it for the thrill and to see things from the other side.

I admired writers like David Wojnarowicz, Jean Genet, Jack Kerouac, William S. Burroughs. I wanted to explore the peripheries of "civilized society" and I did with aplomb.

New York City, Long Island, New Jersey, California, Florida, Key fucking West - I've seen some shit, let me tell you.

My late teens to early twenties were tempestuous. I was like one of those "mad ones" Kerouac writes about in "On the Road".

I was mad to live and love and run, chasing afters the moon and stars and feeling my mind and heart explode like a colorful fireworks display.

Thankfully, I'm settled now but I don't regret those days.

by Anonymousreply 3July 23, 2017 1:57 AM

*run back home

by Anonymousreply 4July 23, 2017 1:58 AM

Where did you sleep, OP? Were you concerned about other homeless people robbing you as you slept?

Glad you got out of it.

by Anonymousreply 5July 23, 2017 1:58 AM

I left home at 16 and was placed in a group home shortly after. I lived there for almost a year before I took off. After that, I stayed wherever I could; youth shelters, with friends for a few nights here and there, outside sometimes if it was nice. I'd frequent 24 hour restaurants or ones that stayed open late, order something cheap and take my time eating when it was cold or rainy. I'd keep a low profile and not cause trouble so they wouldn't kick me out.

I was robbed a few times and beaten up twice. It was terrible.

by Anonymousreply 6July 23, 2017 2:08 AM

If you stayed awake at night for safety reasons, OP, was there somewhere you could sleep during the day?

What did you do to keep yourself occupied?

How did you get a foothold into "normal" society to get a job and a permanent spot to sleep?

by Anonymousreply 7July 23, 2017 2:23 AM

I did different things all the time, R7, it all depended on the day. In my situation, I didn't really get to dictate anything for myself. Sometimes there'd be a couch for me to sleep on, sometimes not, so I just went along with whatever the circumstances were. I hung out with other homeless people a lot. Some of them were great while others were really fucked up. I did my best to avoid the really messed up ones.

When I was 19, I didn't have to worry about family services coming after me and I finally applied for social assistance. I managed to rent a room and found a part time job. I finally got my GED and eventually went to community college. I'm 30 now and still catching up from my past.

by Anonymousreply 8July 23, 2017 2:43 AM

My brother is. He made good money for years, but saved none of it. When he lost his job (downsizing) and had to take a lower paying one, he refused to even try to live within his means. "Why should I have to lower my standard of living just because I don't make as much money as I used to??", he'd always say. He got behind in paying his bills and living expenses, but still managed to take vacations and take on new debt buying new vehicles because he had an image to maintain to family, friends, neighbors. When he was finally forced to cut back on his spending, he became a drinker because it was more affordable than lavish trips and expensive restaurants. He lost his job because of his drinking and he lost his cars because he couldn't make the payments, had his utilities cut off, and then lost his house--a four bedroom house with a 3 car garage. He's single and never been married. WTF did he need a house that big for? My family urged him for several years to live according to his income, but he always carried on that we were jealous of everything he had we and trying to deny him the things he deserved.

The reason he is homeless is the fault of mine, my sister, our parents, and every ex-girlfriend he ever had because if we had continued to give him money to live the way he was accustomed, then he wouldn't be an alcoholic and homeless now. He's a mean and violent drunk and has taken years off my parents' lives.

I used to have a lot of sympathy and concern for the homeless. Now when I see a homeless person, I always ask myself if they are in that position because of things beyond their control or because they created the situation themselves. I hate that I think that way now. My compassion for the homeless is gone and I hate it.

by Anonymousreply 9July 23, 2017 2:54 AM

You're not alone, R9. Most homeless are in their predicament due to their own actions. I don't have much sympathy. I know that sounds cruel, but it's how I feel. Even the OP chose to be homeless, so no sympathy from me. Good for him for getting off the streets, but it was his own doing that he was homeless to begin with.

by Anonymousreply 10July 23, 2017 3:05 AM

No, thank God. Good parents and a good work ethic. I'm not rich but I've got money coming in.

by Anonymousreply 11July 23, 2017 3:17 AM

I don't have much sympathy either, R9, so don't feel bad. People make their own destiny. I feel for those that are homeless due to mental illness, but not so much for the rest. OP left home and then left the social safety net of a home for youth, that's on him/her. Those were decisions OP made, no one else.

by Anonymousreply 12July 23, 2017 3:23 AM

I wasn't expecting any sympathy, R10/R12, but not everyone is one the streets because they want to be there. Hopefully neither of you will ever have to find out.

by Anonymousreply 13July 23, 2017 10:36 AM

No. I work hard and I don't waste money on things I can't afford.

by Anonymousreply 14July 23, 2017 10:57 AM

I have volunteered for a crisis hotline serving 5 local counties. Several are rural. We handle calls about absolutely everything. We aren't limited to suicide situations and try to serve the community with referrals to all kinds of local services, "simple" compassionate listening and everything in between. Name a situation and I've had that kind of call multiple times.

So many people, from the moment they took their first breath, never had a chance for a "normal" life. The source of their problems are often generational. Mental illness often and eventually turns into physical disabilities. They have zero social skills, little basic education.

It's amazing how many people in the face of lifelong odds keep going and trying every day. Many are a month or days away from homelessness if there's one glitch.

Others are terribly immature. That's the only way I can describe this group. They tend to make the worst decisions.

Chronic childhood abuse, family history of severe substance abuse, family suicides, poverty and mental illness are the ones that are either homeless or close to it. Some are actually very sweet caring people, many are unpleasant, to say the least. And some people just make terrible decisions that compound themselves.

It's the ones that use services and actually help themselves to a better place in life.

I now so burnt out from the terrible situations many endure from their earliest memories. I feel like it's getting in my head. I'm struggling too right now. I need something more uplifting in its place. It's been a heart opening experience.

by Anonymousreply 15July 23, 2017 11:49 AM

Thank you, R15.

by Anonymousreply 16July 23, 2017 11:59 AM

Meant to say in my opening I have been a volunteer for two and half years and logged a lot of hours. Handled every kind of call from "had a bad day at work" to public homicidal threats.

It's just gruesome at this point and think it's doing more to harm my personal sense of hope and well-being rather than making a contribution.

Sorry, this isn't about me, but thought I could offer some insights. I definitely don't have the answers to the causes of homelessness.

I think very important points have been made that sometimes life brings situations where one must down scale their expectations for how they expect to live. And while that isn't great, it isn't the worst.

by Anonymousreply 17July 23, 2017 12:07 PM

I have lived in a couple of boarding houses in my time which I consider equal to being homeless in the sense that the place where you live and sleep is not a real home. This came about because of my limited income and the lack of affordable housing in the area. My situation has improved now but the experiences left me with a great empathy for people who lack a real home because I've been there.

by Anonymousreply 18July 23, 2017 12:08 PM

Yes, and it was my fault and I didn't care. I felt like a needle on a record that was stuck. Anti-depressants, anti-anxiety meds, and staying away from alcohol helped me get out of the rut.

I've met 20-somethings that are still in frat mode while everyone else they know has moved on.

I've met many border-line retarded people who lost their caregivers.

I've met many abuse escapees (addiction goes with being abused) who are in a permanent deer-in-the-headlights mode.

I've also met many abusers who've lost their looks, charisma, and contacts - but still try to hustle the weak.

by Anonymousreply 19July 23, 2017 12:13 PM

In my 20's I spend a few months crashing on friends couches, visiting my parents on weekends, and the occasional cheap motel. I was out of work and times were really hard, but I never slept in the car or didn't have a roof over my head, even if that roof belonged to someone else. Thankfully I turned things around, bought and paid off my home and managed to retire early at 59, I was force to retire early due to medical reasons, but I was able to actually afford to do so.

by Anonymousreply 20July 23, 2017 12:21 PM

Very interesting, solemn and insightful thread. More stories and investigation, please.

by Anonymousreply 21July 23, 2017 12:21 PM

Have you never been mellow?

by Anonymousreply 22July 23, 2017 12:25 PM

Regarding the people who "choose" to be homeless ... It's not a real choice if you are not of sound mind to make decisions. These aren't just free spirits who love the great outdoors and al fresco dining.

The OP list a number of celebrated authors but can't seem to make the connection that their subjects where all emotionally disturbed, mentally ill, and/or under the influence of alcohol or drugs. Genet, Wojnarowicz, and Burroughs are interesting reads but obviously not chronicles of happy healthy individuals.

by Anonymousreply 23July 23, 2017 12:55 PM

Try to have gratitude for the things whether inherent to you, environmental, or choice, that have kept you from being homeless

I don't think any homeless person would want the sympathy of your cold heart. Inflated opinion you have of your own sympathies. Out of touch with your own good fortune.

by Anonymousreply 24July 23, 2017 1:03 PM

I'm 35. I've been homeless twice.

The first time I lived on the streets for at least a year was the age 5. My father was a drunk and abusive to me, my older sister, and my mother. I just remember one night being grabbed out of bed with my sister by our mother and escaping into the night.

All we had was a duffle bag. We lived in and out of hotel rooms and on the streets. My mother did the best she could. She had a very limited education as a child growing up in the Philippines and was still doing her best to learn the English language when she moved to the states with my father. She did a lot of waitressing jobs to support us. When I was 10 she met a man at work.

A older man who was at least 30 years her senior. He had adult children and made it very clear that he didn't want kids. He didn't like me. He didn't seem to mind my sister. He was molesting her. She often ran away from home. One day, she never came back. I still wonder what happened to her. I wonder if she's even still alive, and if she is maybe she doesn't want to be found.

For the longest time, I was told to pretend that I was her nephew and that my sister was my cousin. She told him I was only staying with them while her sister was in the process of trying to emigrate to the US. My mom would sometimes beg me not to come home for a few days until, 'Mr. Tom wasn't angry.' I'd sleep where I could. Try to stay with friends on the weekends. This went on until the age of 15 when my mother was given an ultimatum. Either he left and I stayed or I leave and he stays. She choose him.

I was handed off to a friend of hers. My mother secretly sent money for this friend to let me live there. Her friend was nice enough. Her husband was a creep. I didn't last there long until I left and tried to make it on my own. I was on and off the streets for a couple of years. Trying survive. I never hustled.

But, I knew teen guys and girls that did. I wasn't above doing it. I just didn't want to be haunted by it. Sure, they had money but they were some of the most damaged and tortured people I'd ever met. It was enough to make me strive to work at my shitty fast food jobs and do the best I could in school.

I'm glad I choose the path that I did. Many of the people I knew from that time I either still on the streets, drug addicts, dead or in jail.

by Anonymousreply 25July 23, 2017 1:19 PM

I'll never comprehend the lack of human empathy in some "people." If they are mentally ill or intellectually challenged I can overlook it, but there's no excuse otherwise.

by Anonymousreply 26July 23, 2017 1:49 PM

R35, you and your family should not have had to gone through that. I thought there are shelters and programs to help women in your mother's situation, so she would not need to rely on a 'Mr. Tom.' And for your sister, as well.

by Anonymousreply 27July 23, 2017 1:52 PM

Almost. Every day I see this woman on the way to work. She has everything she owns in the world in one of those shopping carts. You feel sorry for people like that but you always wonder how they got themselves in that situation. Oh, you think she must've just been lazy, or she must've been pretty stupid to let something like that happen to her. The other day I noticed she's about our age. The truth is... she's me.

by Anonymousreply 28July 23, 2017 2:27 PM

It was a different poster that listed those authors, R23, not me. I didn't runaway to go off and have some great adventure. I grew up in a very abusive home and which drove me to leave at 16. The group home I was placed in was just as bad as home was and me being gay made it even worse. I was the only gay kid in the home and the other boys were rough with juvenile records. I was assaulted, teased, and robbed there so I ran from there and spent the next couple of years basically dodging child/youth services and surviving. I understand now that I should have told them about what was going on, but being 16, I believed the threats from the other kids, so I left. The police returned me there once but I ran away again within a day. It was hell, and I chose the streets. I certainly don't want to sound like I'm advocating running away and living on the streets, but in some cases it's much more complicated than a person choosing to be homeless.

by Anonymousreply 29July 23, 2017 3:53 PM

Apologies for the mix-up OP / R29 ... Your story deserves to be separated from the romanticized stories of bohemian life on the streets.

by Anonymousreply 30July 23, 2017 4:00 PM

Thanks, R30. My story is different from that poster, but he has an interesting story as well.

by Anonymousreply 31July 23, 2017 4:04 PM

Terrible to hear these stories, but I'm heartened to read the stories of recovery. It seems almost impossible for some people to ever get out of the pit of despair. Glad to read stories of those here who endured.

Perhaps the reason some, like me, abhor homeless people is that it's our ultimate fear; the loss of everything - home, friends, sanity, money, shelter.

One can't keep doling out money at every street corner. I do donate to those on the street who make an effort to 'sell' their need, or anyone in a wheelchair who actually needs it. Sure, they can get a few hundred a month in govt. help and food stamps. But shelters are often awful places for more abuse.

The year I was unemployed and refused cash from my family, was tough. But even then, I hustled for under-the-table work, paid my rent, and stayed housed.

I did have a few friends dying of AIDS who needed a way-station before myself and friends found them a hospice or contacted their families to give them a decent place to die. That was tough. Two were simply tossed out by roommates.

For a while, back in the '90s, there was a regular homeless guy in Tompkins Square Park I called Black Jesus. He had little more than a blanket, was too dazed to even ask for money.

One day I was cleaning my apartment, and packed up a backpack of clean socks, shoes, underwear and a big water bottle. I gave it all to him and $20. He thanked me and I went off to my job.

I never saw him again. You can't fix everyone's problems, but if each of us helped one person, it can make a difference.

by Anonymousreply 32July 23, 2017 5:27 PM

R32, I didn't come across a lot of beggars in homeless shelters. Most guys were working poor - temp jobs paying $50 per diem for anyone who would get in line at 3:30am for an hour-long van ride to warehouses.

by Anonymousreply 33July 23, 2017 5:34 PM

You don't have to be mentally ill to be a writer or an adventure. Some people chase storms and twisters; other week to live in the wild.

Some of us chose to explore homelessness. Just another exploration into the unkown.

by Anonymousreply 34July 23, 2017 5:56 PM

^adventurer

by Anonymousreply 35July 23, 2017 6:24 PM

^others seek to live in the wild.

Sorry!

by Anonymousreply 36July 23, 2017 6:25 PM

OK, again, no sympathy unless the person suffers from mental illness. People choose their destiny. If some adventure seeker decided he want to live on the streets, why should there be sympathy for that person? Others are irresponsible and end up there through overspending, lack of work ethic and other poor choices. Some like OP would rather be homeless than recieve support. He decided to run away when there were clearly other options available to him. OP said he purposefully dodged child/youth services. There were people trying to help him, but he decided not to be helped. I'm sure there are tons of youth just like that. Why does that make them pitiable? Some people, don't want to follow rules. I've heard of teens that take to the streets because they are rebelling and think they know better than authorities.

by Anonymousreply 37July 23, 2017 6:42 PM

R37 is the perfect example of what an imbecile is.

by Anonymousreply 38July 23, 2017 6:45 PM

No, R38. You can't help those that don't want it is all I'm trying to say.

by Anonymousreply 39July 23, 2017 6:48 PM

R37/9 Most mentally ill people do not want help, yet they most certainly can be helped. And should be.

by Anonymousreply 40July 23, 2017 6:52 PM

Mentally ill people, yes. I never said I don't feel for the mentally ill. I'm talking about people like the OP and others that run from various social services on purpose, that don't want help don't deserve sympathy, not do those who wind up homeless because of poor choices or a sense of adventure. Why is that so hard for you to understand?

by Anonymousreply 41July 23, 2017 6:56 PM

This thread needs Christ.

by Anonymousreply 42July 23, 2017 6:57 PM

R41 the two are not mutually exclusive, and your sympathy means nothing to anyone. Why is that so hard for you to understand?

by Anonymousreply 43July 23, 2017 7:00 PM

Are you dense, R43? Not every single person living on the streets has a mental illness. Some are there by choice, not that all of them would admit to that. What part of,

[Quote] I ran from there and spent the next couple of years basically dodging child/youth services and surviving.

is so difficult to comprehend? There was help, he didn't want it.

I am glad for those that get their lives sorted out and find employment, but let's face it, some.people make their own hardships worse than need be.

by Anonymousreply 44July 23, 2017 7:07 PM

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 45July 23, 2017 7:09 PM

Can't take a different opinion, R45?

by Anonymousreply 46July 23, 2017 7:13 PM

In Florids, especially where I live, there are no social services. My partner and I worked with homeless familes thru our church.

You judgemental types need to learn the circumstances of homelessness, before acting all judgrmental.

As discussed in this thread, a five year old has no choice to be homeless or not.

by Anonymousreply 47July 23, 2017 7:13 PM

R44 how exactly do you know that that person you quoted doesn't have any mental illness? Do tell.

by Anonymousreply 48July 23, 2017 7:18 PM

Most people who are homeless have mental illness but certainly not all sometimes older, middle-aged people are homeless because they can not find a job or can not afford an apartment on their wage.

by Anonymousreply 49July 23, 2017 7:23 PM

I really hate these people that "choose" to be "free" and "homeless" all while they have a loving family waiting back home that they can always fall back on. Meanwhile, they shit and piss in the street, beg for money, and take homeless resources from people in real need. Generally, these are white kids who were bored by the idea of having privilege and family love. It's pathetic. Poverty tourism.

by Anonymousreply 50July 23, 2017 7:23 PM

R50, in all my time working with the homeless, I NEVER ran into anybody that was homeless by choice.

What the fuck do you know, dumbass

by Anonymousreply 51July 23, 2017 7:30 PM

Think about a 7th grader not able to register for school because they dont have a real address, dumbass

You pissed me off. Can you tell?

by Anonymousreply 52July 23, 2017 7:34 PM

R51, I grew up in SF and I met quite a few like that when I worked with a Mission. Are they the majority? Not even close, nor did I say that they were, but they absolutely exist. Mommy won't let me dye my hair green? Oh I'm just too big for this town, off I go.

by Anonymousreply 53July 23, 2017 7:34 PM

And Market street gives free food, shelter, etc handouts all the time. I have seen it

Florida is a whole other place. No handouts from the rethugs

by Anonymousreply 54July 23, 2017 7:38 PM

[quote]There was help, he didn't want it.

You're the idiot, r44. OP said he was repeated abused in both his family home and in the foster system, and child services had no recourse to do much else but throw him right back in with his tormentors at a group home.

by Anonymousreply 55July 23, 2017 7:44 PM

Chill, R52. No one here is talking about children who are homeless. Bratty, runaway teens and adults who are financially irresponsible are not the same as a five year old or a seventh grader. Even the op says he ran from available help as many bratty runaways do. The other thing is how willing they are to take welfare instead of working, just like op. He's not the only one though, many, many people are the same. It angers me because I have a good work ethic and others are content to sit around with their hand out.

by Anonymousreply 56July 23, 2017 7:44 PM

[quote] It angers me because I have a good work ethic and others…

I get it now. R56 is pissed off that that other people, probably Mexicans and black people, who work just as hard as him, yet somehow have better homes, cars and sex and seem happier, and he can't figure out why... so he rails against contented homeless people.

by Anonymousreply 57July 23, 2017 7:50 PM

[quote]Even the op says he ran from available help as many bratty runaways do.

"Available help" was foster care. And OP was being abused in foster care, fuckhead r56.

by Anonymousreply 58July 23, 2017 7:52 PM

Where did you poop, OP? I know you sometimes went to restaurants but what if you had urgency at some inconvenient time?

by Anonymousreply 59July 23, 2017 7:59 PM

Oh yeah, right, R58. No kid wants to be in a group home, but that doesn't mean they're all being abused there, R58, so give it up. A lot of people claim they were abused in foster care, doesn't mean they're not lying or exaggerating.

Fuck you, R57. I don't care if someone of any race or religion has more than I, or a better life than I do. If they worked hard, they deserve it. I'm talking about people that sit around on welfare and do nothing but suck up resources from those that work and contribute. If you're an able bodied older teen or adult, you can work. The Op said he went on welfare when he could have been working instead. I'll give him credit for finding a job at least. Some people are content to spend their whole life on welfare. How is that fair to the rest of us who work and pay taxes?

by Anonymousreply 60July 23, 2017 8:01 PM

Yes, I got kicked out of the house on my seventeenth birthday which sucked I spent a year going from shelter to shelter before finally getting an apartment of my own.

p.s don't stay at the YMCA

by Anonymousreply 61July 23, 2017 8:03 PM

R56 seems angry that some some homeless people might be receiving sympathy when he wants it.

by Anonymousreply 62July 23, 2017 8:07 PM

[quote]so give it up

Take your own advice, R56 / R60. You got caught saying something really stupid and indefensible because you didn't take the time to read the posts here (specifically, R29). So rather than admit that you said something stupid, you are now resorting to pretending that the OP must be lying because ... well, just because. Because that way you can pretend you didn't say something stupid and indefensible.

Just give it up. Better to be thought a fool than to continue to post here and prove it.

by Anonymousreply 63July 23, 2017 8:08 PM

You're the fool for believing every sob story you hear of, R63. Do you really think that a group home for youth wouldn't be supervised? They're all staffed, so do you really think that all this abuse occurred under their noses?

by Anonymousreply 64July 23, 2017 8:13 PM

R64, I'm not a part of your back and forth, but Group home abuse is an epidemic. Children and teens are routinely abused in various ways when they enter foster and group homes.

by Anonymousreply 65July 23, 2017 8:15 PM

[quote]You're the fool for believing every sob story you hear of, R63.

LOL.... You're the fool for disbelieving every story you hear of [sic], R64. Seriously, just give it a rest. You got caught saying something stupid and indefensible. Rather than admit it and moving on, you'll continue vainly attacking and trying to pretend that you didn't say something stupid and indefensible.

[quote]Do you really think that a group home for youth wouldn't be supervised? They're all staffed, so do you really think that all this abuse occurred under their noses?

You *really* don't know jack shit, do you?

by Anonymousreply 66July 23, 2017 8:17 PM

Tell me a story, OP. Tell us of the shit you have seen.

I had that urge when I was about 13, so I understand. I took a look around and realized there was nothing for me, but to join a cult or be a baby prostitute, so I went back home, put my head down and got straight As, but lost part of my soul anyway.

I do know one person who managed both.

by Anonymousreply 67July 23, 2017 8:21 PM

I read somewhere that the majority of young black homeless men are products of the foster care system. after turning 18 they are kicked out of the system, most have no family support, subpar education or any real marketable skills. However, I know that some states are trying to transition 18 years olds to self-sustaining adults but it's expensive and there's no political will for it. It's an awful situation.

by Anonymousreply 68July 23, 2017 8:38 PM

R6, You are painfully naive and uninformed about care homes/ fostering and children's and youth welfare issues . Please just stop.

by Anonymousreply 69July 23, 2017 8:41 PM

I was placed in a group home because in my jurisdiction teens 16 and over are not placed with a foster family. I was never diagnosed with any mental illness, but looking back I probably was pretty depressed. The group home was terrible. For those who don't believe me, go ahead and try living in one. Some of the kids probably should be institutionalized, but they fall through the cracks and end up in group homes like the one I was in. There were four other boys there, aged 16-17. One of them was the leader, and at 17 he had a lengthy record. He's probably dead or in jail now. The place was staffed, and yes, bullying and abuse did occur there on a regular basis. Once, they stripped my clothes off and held me down, taunting me, while their leader threatened to rape me with a golf club. He didn't, but he hit me with it and threatened that the next time it would be up my ass. I ran away shortly after. It wasn't as simple as telling my worker and putting a stop to the bullying. During the time I lived there, I was punched, kicked, thrown into walls and furniture, and the few personal effects I had were stolen or damaged. The youth workers and case workers are overworked and homes for teens like myself were scarce. I was afraid to make waves and basically thought I'd be better off on my own.

As far as being homeless went, I saw a lot. Fights, stabbings, people OD'ing, and lots of general craziness. By some miracle, I managed to avoid the harsher drugs. Some people I knew did any drug that came their way and some even huffed Lysol, gas, nail polish remover, spay paint. One guy huffed some gas and fell and had his legs cut off when he tried to climb across a train that had just started to move.

I hustled a few times, I'm ashamed of it and it haunts me to this day. I sometimes wonder if the middle aged guys in their SUV s are bothered at all by the fact that they picked up a 16 year old homeless kid? I was at such a low point in life then and felt that I had no other choice. Thankfully I didn't have to do it often and I was lucky that I managed to get off the streets when I did.

by Anonymousreply 70July 23, 2017 11:10 PM

the so called services are often worse than being on the street. foster care, etc. is a total mess that ruins lives.

by Anonymousreply 71July 23, 2017 11:21 PM

Aw! Everything but the wolves snappin' at your rear end!

by Anonymousreply 72July 24, 2017 12:17 AM

I do know, R66. Again, how does all this occur when there are staff present?

by Anonymousreply 73July 24, 2017 12:21 AM

Yes well sometimes, lots of times, it happens *because* the staff are present. You understand that sometimes the perpetrators are staff, yes?

by Anonymousreply 74July 24, 2017 12:33 AM

R73

What kind of a total fucking moron are you, R73? Staff are not by a kids' side 24/7, and besides, do you know how much abuse BY staff of such places there is? You probably also think a child is safe if he stays near the priests in his parish church. Good god. Can you just get off this thread, because you have the awareness of a 5-year-old or else you must just be some kind of troll.

by Anonymousreply 75July 24, 2017 12:43 AM

Shut up, R75.

by Anonymousreply 76July 24, 2017 12:55 AM

Here in So Cal - so many modest areas with old quaint apartment buildings, duplexes & triplexes are being bought up by Asian Companies - the old families have lived 20, 30 plus years are being tossed out. Many times they had happy relationships with the original owners figured it was forever. some area have to pay relocation fees some don't. My mom rented for 25 years - she is 82 with pets - she still works - she had to sell or get rid of so much. rents on other comparable places was at least $2000 more a month - I have stepped in as I should - but she was blindsided - I can see it has aged her. sometimes things happen quickly - I can easily if you don't have close friends or family an older person could wind up homeless ...

by Anonymousreply 77July 24, 2017 1:14 AM

Were not was!!'m

by Anonymousreply 78July 24, 2017 1:16 AM

That's sad, R77. I've heard a lot of stories like that lately. I hope all goes well for you and your mom.

by Anonymousreply 79July 24, 2017 1:52 AM

And thankfully your mom has you looking out for her. Imagine the people out there that have no one. So sad.

by Anonymousreply 80July 24, 2017 1:54 AM

R76,Your ignorant and accusatory statements have already been offensive enough, don't be telling some of the people you've insulted, to "shut up", when they've been trying, in good faith, to help you understand some things you clearly do not grasp. Can you not just accept that you've been wrong, and move on. Perhaps apologise for your insensitivity.

by Anonymousreply 81July 24, 2017 2:02 AM

Have you ever been mellow?

by Anonymousreply 82July 24, 2017 2:08 AM

I'm physically disabled, seriously disabled from an accident at a young age. I live in a small studio apartment and I'm happy and grateful for it. If the GOP cuts SSI I will be homeless. Just like that. Shelters are dangerous as is. Imagine if you can't walk or speak clearly or use your arms and type by voice, very slow going when your voice isn't clearly understood. I'm in constant pain. I cannot work as much as I wish I can. I'm also old now. Will be 65 soon. I have a home health aid. I can't function in my apartment by myself. Can you imagine how it would be living on the street. It isn't always bad decisions. Not every has enough money to save. After my rent is pay I have 40 dollars to live on for everything else, including utilities, excluding food.

For me homelessness is a very real fear. I truly hope if it happens someone murders me on the first day. I don't have the guts to kill myself. I did nothing wrong except get hit by a hit and run driver when I was young one by the way who was never found.

Does someone on the street have to be in as bad shape as I would be before most of you would have some compassion???

by Anonymousreply 83July 24, 2017 2:08 AM

R83 imbeciles like the one up thread will say they have compassion for disabled people, but they don't. They have no human compassion for anyone but themselves.

by Anonymousreply 84July 24, 2017 2:22 AM

I hope OP isn't John Farrar writing Olivia Newton-John's comeback single.

by Anonymousreply 85July 24, 2017 2:28 AM

It's not only compassion that R83 lacks, it's commonsense and an awareness of the world outside his spoilt brat self.

by Anonymousreply 86July 24, 2017 2:32 AM

Six years ago, I was homeless for about 18 months. I was severely depressed from dealing with PTSD and basically ran away from my relationships and lived in the stairwell of a parking deck. I never tried staying in shelters because I was a drunk and also because I was scared of other homeless people. I worked in the kitchen of a diner and that kept me fed. After working nights, I go out to bars and drink until they closed and then stumble back to my little hole to pass out. I'd sneak into friends' places while they were at work that I'd known when I was healthier person to shower every once and awhile. Several times everything I owned was stolen. It was horrible. I was at the point that I was going to kill myself to get away from it all when my partner found me and convinced me to come back home. I got into treatment and counseling for my mental illness and am in a much better place now but there is always a nagging fear that I will, through bad luck or my mental illlness becoming worse, end up back on the streets. Six years older, I don't think I would last as long as I did the first time.

On a side note, in the South, winter is MUCH nicer for the homeless. You can always cover up more but the summer heat is torture for people on the street.

by Anonymousreply 87July 24, 2017 3:02 AM

No, I'm not a drug addict or mentally ill. Those are the only types of people that have long term homelessness. No, sorry it's not a middle class family down on their luck like on "Silver Spoons." That only exists in a liberal agenda.

by Anonymousreply 88July 24, 2017 3:25 AM

"That only exists in a liberal agenda."

So does the idea of helping poor people, Trumpfucktwat.

by Anonymousreply 89July 24, 2017 3:28 AM

R88, a quarter of all of the homeless in America are children, so unless these kids sprang forth like Athena from the brow of Zeus, there are a lot of homeless families in America.

by Anonymousreply 90July 24, 2017 3:33 AM

R90, the three shelters in my area have very strict, "stay away from kids" policies for men and women. It's not as if moms have baby sitters while they look for employment or take temp jobs. In theory, they are at the head of the line in the county-wide subsidized housing database. Ex-cons and/or abusive men in their lives can get them booted out of section 8 in a heartbeat.

by Anonymousreply 91July 24, 2017 3:51 AM

Individuals like OP cry about being homeless and have no problem scamming the system and receiving benefits. I doubt his story very much, abuse at home and in the foster care system? If he were a normal kid why was he put in a home with kids with records? It doesn't add up to me. I agree with R88. Most homeless are mentally ill or druggies.

by Anonymousreply 92July 24, 2017 4:08 AM

And how much of our tax dollars go to "help" people that don't do anything for themselves or society? It's a waste.

by Anonymousreply 93July 24, 2017 4:10 AM

So is deducting interest payments for corporate debt, R93. Corporate citizens should pay their fair share! You don't see me deducting credit card interest, do you? No, you do not.

Hey, let's talk about the subsidy you use to get back and forth to work! You did not pay for the whole road, but you are using it. That's theft!

Your mother called and said you bounced thrice on your head as a child. It's why you're funny looking. So sad.

by Anonymousreply 94July 24, 2017 4:18 AM

I have been very close to homelessness, but not quite there. I lived in an abandoned house for several months. It had a contaminated well, so I couldn't use the water and the kitchen floor had a very large hole in it and was otherwise unstable. I had a place with a few other people after that, but ended up in the psychiatric hospital for 4 months and had nowhere to go afterward. So the state put me in a motel for a month and after that I was left to my own devices. I had a friend whose boyfriend had left him and I moved in with him and we shared a one-bedroom apartment for about a year.

Before all that, I was a productive member of society. I owned a house for over 20 years, worked full time or more, helped out other people and so on. But when the "great recession" hit I lost everything. I have struggled with DID (multiple personalities), PTSD, depression, anxiety, ADHD and a few other things all my life but when my life crumbled I wasn't able to fully cope and other people took advantage. I considered suicide, and the only reason I didn't was because I was afraid of what would happen to my cat without me. I couldn't stand the idea of her being left alone.

I now live on SSI, which is $735 per month. I didn't qualify for SSDI which would have been over $1300 a month based on all the years I worked because I struggled for too long before giving up and applying for help. If you don't apply within 5 years of losing full time employment, your years of work are irrelevant and you get the same amount as someone who never worked a day in their life gets. I also get food stamps, $139 a month. I don't get full SNAP benefits because I have too much money coming in from SSI, that princely $735. I have a roof over my head, a bedroom in someone else's house that costs most of my SSI, $400. I'm actually really grateful for that but it doesn't leave a lot for anything else. In my area there is no help for housing because the waiting lists have been closed since 2010 due to lack of funding.

If anything changes, I'll be on the street and I doubt I will be able to deal well with that. I'm really afraid of what will happen if the Republicans screw with SSI. My cat is 13 years old and once she's gone ... well, I don't know.

by Anonymousreply 95July 24, 2017 5:59 AM

[quote]If he were a normal kid why was he put in a home with kids with records?

There aren't good kid homes and bad kid homes, dumbass r92

by Anonymousreply 96July 24, 2017 7:58 AM

"If he were a normal kid why was he put in a home with kids with records? It doesn't add up to me."

I doubt 1+1=2 adds up to YOU.

by Anonymousreply 97July 24, 2017 12:39 PM

Never been homeless but my husband and I are on our way. He seems to think it's ok to dip into the 401k to pay for bills and things. That money is for our retirement ffs.

The ironic thing is that I was raised wealthy and had a bad track record with money so I sought out a partner who appeared to be thrifty and good with money.

Now I'm the "bad one" for ringing alarm bells. We need to cut back the spending or we'll be broke with no future very soon. And homeless.

I do feel empathy for homeless people because it can happen easily. And no, my parents cannot help because they too spent more than they made and my mother bankrolled the entire family of leeches including me at one stage.. Luckily they downsized significantly before it became a problem.

by Anonymousreply 98July 24, 2017 1:35 PM

I know some will say "Are there no prisons? Are there no workhouses?" but a basic/universal income sounds like a better and better idea.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 99July 24, 2017 1:39 PM

R99 we cannot even get universal healthcare and you expect Americans to sign off on a program that hands out money for nothing? Don't get me wrong, I agree with the idea but I live in the real world. The US will collapse due to greed eventually.

by Anonymousreply 100July 24, 2017 2:44 PM

I don't care if anyone did anything right or wrong, no one "deserves" homelessness. They might have something wrong in their head or family, or even if they just fucked up, so what?

by Anonymousreply 101July 24, 2017 8:56 PM

Universal income will have to happen eventually. With robotics and outsourcing, the jobs will not be there. Work is what needs to be done for the tribe as a whole to survive and prosper i.e. if you were a primitive tribe living on an abundant tropical island you will not have as much work to define your value as you would if you were an eskimo or living in a harsh climate.

by Anonymousreply 102July 24, 2017 9:04 PM

There would still be opportunity for competition, since Americans seem to require that, but the playing field would be more advanced. You wouldn't need to spend your time grubbing for bugs, but would need to be inventive in areas like microbiology, robotics, etc.

The oldest US generation right now really can't comprehend how much things have changed. Their gen is full of anecdotes about their peers who started a nursery or a little grocery store in a wide open society and are now really rich. They don't understand that that type of story is all but impossible now, and certainly not the norm.

by Anonymousreply 103July 24, 2017 9:11 PM

There already is a form of guaranteed basic income anyway in the form of the military and domestic military/police. The problem with that is it is heavily weighted towards young males and the corporate agenda and everyone else can fuck off. Not that many see active service where they are put at risk either. You are accepting the king's schilling and your life will move forward only on a certain track.

by Anonymousreply 104July 24, 2017 9:14 PM

*shilling

by Anonymousreply 105July 24, 2017 9:48 PM

R104 the hero worship of people who have "served" is sickening. Yes if you faught in a war on the frontlines you're a hero. If you spent your few years goofing off on some base... not so much. No one thanks me for my "service" as a civilian paying taxes so some meathead can get hero worshipped for the rest of his useless life.

by Anonymousreply 106July 24, 2017 10:03 PM

I've never even been mellow.

by Anonymousreply 107July 25, 2017 12:11 AM

Some very interesting stories here. I hope we can keep this thread alive.

by Anonymousreply 108July 26, 2017 12:17 AM

Dead.

by Anonymousreply 109July 28, 2017 7:50 PM

by Anonymousreply 110July 30, 2017 1:59 AM

Let's bring this one back, fellas. It's good. Who has a story to tell?

by Anonymousreply 111March 18, 2018 11:32 PM

My roommates and I once spent the night in a homeless shelter. We'd accidentally donated a jacket containing a winning lottery ticket to the sheltee. We planned to locate the jacket and sneak off with our ticket but after lying on cots and hearing all the sad stories we learned a Very Important Lesson and decided to give our winning lottery ticket to the shelter.

by Anonymousreply 112March 19, 2018 12:39 AM

R50, in many large cities you will encounter people who claim that they are homeless or basically almost homeless-living in shelters, in boarding houses, etc. but they are actually just looking for anyone to give them money. My friend and I see them all the time in Center City Philadelphia, SF, L.A., and NYC, and you can tell them are not actually homeless. One time there was this guy in CC Philadelphia who was asking us for money and we said no and he got mad and left, and we followed him from a distance and he went into an expensive apartment complex.

by Anonymousreply 113November 25, 2019 1:42 AM

R67 I really hope life improved immensely for you. Were you being abused at home? I was and as a kid/teen I thought about running away but I would have been found by police on dead/phish tour, and been put into worse situations than my home life. So I too concentrated on my studies.

by Anonymousreply 114November 25, 2019 1:45 AM

'I have struggled with DID (multiple personalities), PTSD, depression, anxiety, ADHD and a few other things all my life"

Well, you're home now!

by Anonymousreply 115November 25, 2019 1:50 AM

I've been reading the stories of the people who sell the "Street Roots" newspapers. These are people who are trying to get back on their feet. I've never met one who has seemed high or drunk. I will never walk past one again without buying a paper and I am going to make a donation to the organization.

Portland, OR is over run with homeless, I think part of the reason is we offer more help to them then other parts of the country do, but the resources are maxed out. I think the sympathy is starting to wear thin as more and more tents pop up.

This country is going down hill fast, I really fear the next recession.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 116November 25, 2019 3:12 AM

I’m Ida. When Sophia found me living in a homeless shelter, she tried to raise my spirits and give me hope.

“People care... they really do!”

When the sun came up, I saw her robbing another shelter resident’s leather bomber jacket. She took off and I never saw her again.

by Anonymousreply 117November 25, 2019 3:27 AM

I was homeless for 6 months when I was 58. I was renting a home that got sold. It was an old house and a teardown and the rent was cheap. I couldn't find an affordable apt but continued to work. I had to live in shelters because I have no family at all. I am a woman and it was the scariest time in my life. I ended up with Pneumonia and spent a few nights where I couldn't get into the shelter and was too sick to work. I finally found a single apt but am terrified of it happening again. Rents are overpriced and jobs can be hard to get when you are older. A lot of people lost everything in the '08 crash.

by Anonymousreply 118November 25, 2019 7:03 PM

OP and [R25] total respect for you both. You have both gone through what no one, especially not kids, should have to go through. From your posts you both seem well adjusted, articulate, and philosophical about your pasts. Once again, total respect!

by Anonymousreply 119November 25, 2019 9:47 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!