Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

laser skin treatments

I'm 57 and I need to have one, but I'm in the dark. Can someone with knowledge of what these things are and what they do help me out? There seem to be so many different kinds. How do you choose? TIA.

by Anonymousreply 70August 12, 2018 4:08 AM

Call me.

by Anonymousreply 1July 20, 2017 11:27 AM

Not the OP but also wondering. I tend to get melasma dark patches from the sun, so I'm scared a laser treatment may make things worse - any suggestions from those in the know?

by Anonymousreply 2July 20, 2017 11:41 AM

I had one done as part of a cosmetic procedure 9 years ago, the area was under my eyes , it essentially burns off skin to the dermis, wrinkles, discolorations, ect all go away, You do scab up and you have to slather Vaseline jelly all over the area during healing. Your skin will reddish/pink for about 6 months and you have to commit to no sun exposure and daily use of a sunscreen SPF 30 or more, Good way to "refresh" yourself without running the risk of feminisng your face. The results have held up well for me.

by Anonymousreply 3July 20, 2017 12:26 PM

You should consult with a dermatologist well schooled in laser treatment. I had picosure laser 18 months ago. I had it done because I had a chemical burn on my face from 25 years ago and nothing lightened the area. I also developed dark spots from sun exposure during childhood and adolescence and had a little melasma.

My dermatologist recommended picosure laser. As a Latina my skin was fair but darker and more yellow undertone than Caucasian skin. Laser on darker skin can sometimes lead to hypo pigmentation so there was some concern since the treatment was fairly new then for what I needed. Picosure is used to remove tattoos.

I had only one treatment, others may need more. Fantastic results by following dermatologist recommendation. The dark spots got raised up and scabbed over. I let it fall off on its own and once it did my skin was clear. I continued using retin a after the scabs fell and the skin got back to an even tone. I use spf 50 and hats and don't sunbath but I havent been doing that since I turned 22 so that hasn't changed. No new dark spots since.

by Anonymousreply 4July 20, 2017 12:45 PM

Thanks r3 & r4!

by Anonymousreply 5July 20, 2017 11:52 PM

OP, how do you know you need to have a laser treatment if you don't know anything about laser treatments?

How effing stupid can a person be?

by Anonymousreply 6July 21, 2017 12:10 AM

I had them and they triggered my Morgellon's but I hope your experience is so, so different OP. God bless!

by Anonymousreply 7July 21, 2017 12:14 AM

hey r6, FUCK OFF

by Anonymousreply 8July 21, 2017 12:33 AM

Has anyone ever had excel?

by Anonymousreply 9July 22, 2017 5:59 PM

I had IPL a few years back, face, chest, hands, at my Dermatologist. I did a few packages, multiple treatments to lower the price, over 3-4 years, to deal with sun damage and oversensitivities, fine lines etc. Do it! It will reverse damage and firm you up. It has some lasting effects, and if you are starting with good skin you will really look good a long time. If you are starting with bad aging you will still look much better. If you do it before an event do it about a month before in case you look too lit up after. not cheap, not fun, but I'd do it now if I had the money.

On your forehead it hurts, because the skin is thin, but other places it's not painful, to me, but I told her turn it UP, I wanted that damage to really grab the laser. Do a microdermabrasion prior to the laser for best results. Do all of it at a Dermatologist. Don't go to an esthetician, unless it is IN a dermatologist office, trained by the doctor.

by Anonymousreply 10July 22, 2017 6:08 PM

Thank you! I've read about IPL but wasn't sure it did anything.

by Anonymousreply 11July 22, 2017 6:09 PM

With IPL, They start you on the low setting to see how you respond, and that means subtle results, so they call it laser facials. Then maybe your worse areas they turn it up, next session. More isn't necessarily better with laser.

by Anonymousreply 12July 22, 2017 6:13 PM

How many treatments does it normally take to see good results, and what is the approximate cost?

by Anonymousreply 13July 22, 2017 6:35 PM

Does laser help with saggy eyelids?

by Anonymousreply 14July 22, 2017 6:37 PM

what gets rid of age spots on the hands?

by Anonymousreply 15July 22, 2017 7:04 PM

r15 laser as well as persistent (meaning every time you're in sunlight) use of sunscreen on the back of your hands. or gloves. that's why Madonna has been wearing gloves everywhere since the 2000s

by Anonymousreply 16July 22, 2017 7:11 PM

I've had a few IPLs but they didn't do much. Had the YAG laser for a some sun spots, but that has at least a week downtime. I heard Fraxel was good.

by Anonymousreply 17July 22, 2017 7:41 PM

If you have serious skin damage from the sun along with lines, the best way to go is a phenol peel. It's a big deal, but I had one in 1985 and it has made all the difference in my appearance vis a vis aging. I had sunbathes and abused my fair skin my entire life. At 30 I had spots galore. I was still "pretty," but I knew what was ahead. It truly gives you a brand new start as if you were a newborn. It takes every bit of skin off don't to the "red meat," and it also gives you a face lift because that brand new virgin skin is as tight as a drum. This is not a simple procedure though...and the recovery time is a minimum of 10 days. The pain was minimal however...I guess in that respect it's like a 3rd degree burn. 35 years later I have the skin of a 35 year old. I still have no wrinkles or lines. I am not saying that I look 35, but I look like a 60 year old with spectacular skin for her age.

by Anonymousreply 18July 22, 2017 8:24 PM

wow, r18 that sounds incredible. I have good skin, I frequently get compliments on it, or at least I used to up till the last year or two, which is why I think I need to start helping it along with some treatments. I've heard that laser treatments are the only thing that decrease pore size. Anyone have any experience with this?

by Anonymousreply 19July 22, 2017 10:54 PM

lol at old men doing this shit no one is gonna fuck you anyway,why bother after a certain age at 50 you get ready for funeral not do plastic surgeries made for stupid woman that is self obsessed and delusional you are a man,accept your better days are over i will not care about "wrinkles" at 50 pathetic old geezer hahaha ahaha

by Anonymousreply 20July 22, 2017 11:19 PM

You don't know what you are talking about R20. I guarantee that when you are 50 you will think that you are still young, and you will be as concerned with your appearance as you ever were. I get that it seems like a million years away to you now, but all of us elders were like you at one time, and before you know it you ARE 50...if you're lucky enough to still be alive.

by Anonymousreply 21July 22, 2017 11:23 PM

[R20] no i won't,i am not delusional and don't have NPD

old people are unattractive,there is no point in being concerned with appearance unless you are a big movie star

by Anonymousreply 22July 22, 2017 11:54 PM

I saw a phenol peel on a plastic surgery show. It scared the hell out of me. You're exactly right, it takes ALL of the skin off basically - and what scares me is that your body might decide to make scar tissue or not regenerate in a predictable way. Some people who get phenol peels also look waxy and fake - or like burn victims when the new skin comes back. On the other hand, some people do indeed have the skin of a 20-something.

OP you need to see a dermatologist. There are so many lasers out there now, and for some conditions, none of them work (like dark undereyes). Sun spots might be treatable with IPL, which is the least invasive in general - but most of them require multiple visits and someone who knows what they're doing. You might see results from glycolic acid peels or TCA peels too. Phenol just scares me.

by Anonymousreply 23July 23, 2017 12:00 AM

What could possibly go wrong, OP?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 24July 23, 2017 12:05 AM

Phenol peels are illegal in some places eg NZ because people have died from kidney and liver failure as a result. I have had a lot of IPL for rosacea and sun spots. It works very well. I have also had Erbium-yag laser peels a number of times. There is a week of down time. It is a lot gentler than C02 laser, which has a long recovery period but is more effective. Don't expect a facelift from lasers. You must be very vigilant about sun protection following any of these treatments. Go to www.realself.com for info.

by Anonymousreply 25July 23, 2017 12:13 AM

thanks for the info. the confusing thing to me is that there seem to be so many different-named lasers. I can't figure out which one is the best choice. My dermatologist offers a couple of different ones but when I look at other dermatology studios they offer completely different ones. At least, the names are different.

by Anonymousreply 26July 23, 2017 12:37 AM

OP, it depends how much money and time for recovery you have. If these are not limited, I would do more treatments, but gentler ones, ie, not C02 laser or a phenol peel. You'll get all the info on the sute I mentioned above.

by Anonymousreply 27July 23, 2017 9:14 AM

Has anyone here had laser treatment for rosacea?

by Anonymousreply 28July 23, 2017 9:35 AM

Yes, I have. Not laser, IPL. Works really well, but you need a few treatments.

by Anonymousreply 29July 23, 2017 9:38 AM

"that's why Madonna has been wearing gloves everywhere since the 2000s"

Oh Madge isn't that old yet. She wears gloves because her excessive workouts have left her hands sinewy and gnarly.

by Anonymousreply 30July 23, 2017 9:54 AM

I have had good luck with self applied TCA peels. You can buy TCA at Amazon. Try a lower strength to start. Also, with most of these resufacing peels, schedule some down time. The next heat wave when I won't want to go out anyway, I'm going to do a TCA peel.

by Anonymousreply 31July 23, 2017 11:22 AM

Joan van Ark is the poster child of phenol peel gone bad. She probably kept a silicon mask 20 hours a day for years to get the scar tissue under control. You don't see it because of all the makeup, but what also usually happens is that the border of her lips is all smudged and colonized by skin scar tissue.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 32July 23, 2017 11:43 AM

If you're going with one of the stronger lasers, test a small area of skin first. At 57, you may take longer to heal and also may be more prone to scar. Make sure the doctor performs the procedure and not the tech.

by Anonymousreply 33July 23, 2017 11:45 AM

How many treatments does it take if your rosacea isn't severe?

by Anonymousreply 34July 23, 2017 12:00 PM

I did an 18% TCA peel a few years ago. I freaked out when my skin turned brown in patches (it didn't frost when I applied it either so I thought it wasn't working) but a couple days later I started to peel. I was too self conscious to go out for five days. It did remove a couple melasma spots so I was happy with that but it was scary thinking I might be permanently scarring my skin while I was waiting for the peeling process to finish.

Now I just do 65% lactic acid weekly. When people gush about their skin glowing afterwards, it just means they look like they have a light sunburn! It's a superficial treatment, it's supposed to stimulate cell renewal or something.It's not going to remove acne scars. My skin feels very smooth afterwards. There's a bit of flaking sometimes but it's not too noticeable. I don't have sensitive skin and I tan very easily. Now I use sunblock.

by Anonymousreply 35July 23, 2017 12:02 PM

[quote] Has anyone here had laser treatment for rosacea?

Yes, and it worked. It was about 10 years ago. However, I need to go back and have it done again. While the laser treatment helped a lot, it eventually returned.

by Anonymousreply 36July 23, 2017 2:40 PM

How much did the treatments cost R36 and how many did you need?

by Anonymousreply 37July 23, 2017 4:55 PM

I have given consideration to laser treatments for rosacea, as well.

I talked to a dermatologist just a few weeks ago. The cost would be about $1500-$2000. I'm not sure how much is covered by insurance. I guess it depends on your carrier.

It would sure piss me off if it returned a few years later after a $2000 procedure. But the current medication runs about $80 for the pills/facial cream, so I guess, over time, it might pay to go the laser route.

by Anonymousreply 38July 23, 2017 5:12 PM

[quote] R2: Not the OP but also wondering. I tend to get melasma dark patches from the sun, so I'm scared a laser treatment may make things worse - any suggestions from those in the know?

Then do it gradually. You won't see a radical change with one visit, unless they screw-up terribly.

by Anonymousreply 39July 23, 2017 5:22 PM

Can laser treatments help dark and uneven skin under the eyes?

by Anonymousreply 40July 24, 2017 5:04 PM

anyone else have IPL?

by Anonymousreply 41July 26, 2017 12:03 AM

Just want to say, if you have redness/rocacea/broken veins, do the IPL. It works.

by Anonymousreply 42July 26, 2017 7:02 AM

What's IPL?

by Anonymousreply 43July 26, 2017 7:12 AM

Here's a leading Oz clinic that details the various different lasers and their applications.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 44July 26, 2017 7:12 AM

Thanks for that, R44. I'm always confused about the different lasers. I have a dark spot from tanning that I want to get rid of.

by Anonymousreply 45July 26, 2017 7:31 AM

Are lasers good for people who are really fair complected?

by Anonymousreply 46July 26, 2017 8:22 AM

thanks r44

by Anonymousreply 47July 27, 2017 1:52 AM

I've had two fractional CO2 laser treatments, two years apart, primarily for acne scars. Some discomfort during the procedure, no post procedure discomfort, but a week of downtime in which you hide from polite society and slather your face in Aquaphor until your skin peels and heals. Good scar reduction, although I'm going to do my third (within four years) in the fall because my dermatologist thinks I can get close to full improvement. Additional benefit is all the new baby collagen strands created with each treatment helps keep everything plump and tight.

by Anonymousreply 48July 27, 2017 2:05 AM

R46...as far as I know, no contraindications for fair skin, darker skin can be a concern, from what I remember from consultations with my dermatologist. I'm very fair.

by Anonymousreply 49July 27, 2017 2:08 AM

I found a student clinic offering cheap IPL, dermadrasion, TCA...not a good idea?

by Anonymousreply 50March 31, 2018 8:21 AM

Laser treatments are usually area by area as few people have the full face resurfacing done.

When I was 40 I had laser blepharoplasty, top and bottom, done and the Doctor had so much time left over she asked me where else I would like to work. She then removed the sag lines beginning to start in front of my ears. You can have an unlined face, turn to the side and present drag lines that look like melted wax bunching over itself. Just like applying sunscreen to the back of hands (and back of ears-skin cancer prime location) the sides of the face are prime considerations. When she went in to laser the drag lines, she commented that she had no idea that they were so deep. I am now 60 and no crows feet, no bags, a smooth forehead and NO drag lines. Two little squint lines between the brows. It was worth every penny. I have used SPF 60 since the 80s as my primary moisturizer when I gave up smoking.

by Anonymousreply 51March 31, 2018 9:06 AM

I had some sort of laser zapping procedure to get rid of sunspots. Worked like a charm. A plastic surgeon told me he won’t do laser resurfacing on men because it can leave splotches which women can cover up with makeup.

by Anonymousreply 52March 31, 2018 9:46 AM

I've had vascular laser treatment. It burns off those tiny surface/spider veins.

by Anonymousreply 53March 31, 2018 10:47 AM

Why am I not surprised that DL is full of vain narcissists?

by Anonymousreply 54April 1, 2018 2:31 PM

OP, the docs will do a consultation to help you decide which treatment to go with. Some lasers target redness or brown spots, others wrinkles or other issues. You don't have to know which ones do what, they go over it with you.

I had my first IPL for brown spots recently and it really helped. I'll probably have two more. It reduced redness too.

Mine cost $500 per treatment.

by Anonymousreply 55April 1, 2018 4:22 PM

anyone try INFINI for acne scars?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 56August 10, 2018 3:43 AM

Trying to do a TCA peel on your own is risky af, but if you decide to do it anyway, (1) do your research online and (2) start with the weakest strength and work your way up.

Regarding point #1, do a Google search for [bold]"Mr F" site:datalounge.com[/bold]. Mr. F was an esthetician who was a veritable font of knowledge about skincare and DIY peels in particular.

by Anonymousreply 57August 10, 2018 4:01 AM

I had no idea phenol peels were still being performed. When lasers came onto the scene, one advantage being touted was they were much safer than phenol.

by Anonymousreply 58August 10, 2018 6:15 PM

I gave up smoking four years ago. I have the smoker lines above my lip. Would the TCA chemical peel you can get at Amazon work for those lines?

by Anonymousreply 59August 10, 2018 6:57 PM

Can't imagine using a peel at home.

by Anonymousreply 60August 10, 2018 7:28 PM

ALWAYS PROTECT THE EYES.

by Anonymousreply 61August 11, 2018 5:25 PM

I went to Ideal Image. I had Ultherapy - the whole shebang - and I really and extremely pleased with the results. I am a female - I had the cleavage area done as well because I live in Florida and over the years sun exposure to that area was producing that skin older ladies get in that area. Let me tell you that area hurt like a sun of a bitch and I had a pretty good raised reaction after - BUT - phenomenal results in that area. The face they did not penetrate at all. I felt sort of odd around my jaw for a while after - 2 months or so. Around my eyes I got very mild bruising. They want you to go for the whole shebang at one time - but OMG - no freaking way - break it up in chunks. Its not that is so unbearable its just that its a whole thing of them leaning over you, the mild pain of the procedure - that feels a tiny bit like when you first experience a burn but its gone as soon as they move the wand. I really have been happy with my results.

I also had cool sculpt under my chin - and let me tell you - that is a fantastic procedure. They do not advertise it for skin tightening but it does tighten and slim the whole area. I had 2 treatments and its like having a jaw lift.

They really have come a long long way with modern procedures. Do some research and you might be please with all the options available out there now.

by Anonymousreply 62August 11, 2018 5:50 PM

OP, what exactly is the point at your age?

by Anonymousreply 63August 11, 2018 5:53 PM

r62 again. I will add more - the results are something I am very pleased with. I just look slightly "better" - not radically different - its also subtle. I really recommend this - the idea is that it stimulates your own collagen - it gave me a tighter smother appearance that to me is more youthful. I felt like everything was sort of starting to slip north - and its like it pulls everything back up into place. I would say this is a good procedure for those 40plus who are realistic.

by Anonymousreply 64August 11, 2018 5:55 PM

R62 looks fab:

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 65August 11, 2018 6:01 PM

R62, are there specific ways in which you think the work has benefited you?

by Anonymousreply 66August 11, 2018 11:58 PM

R66 - well I was starting to get those small saddle bags that form along the chin line and those are now gone. Part of the reason I did the procedures is I have been through a lot in the past decade and really felt like I deserved to take care of myself. Part of my long standing problem in life had been that I thought nothing of spending money like that on the men in my relationships but to spend it on myself! Well that was part of the growth of the experience. So I took the plunge. You don't notice the change immediately because its a continuing process. If you look at some of the before and after pictures online of this procedure it just sort of lifts the entire face up a little bit. I did not develop much wrinkling around the eyes or crows feet that was bothering me - it was the chin and neck that bothered me. However - I have no crows feet at all anymore. I know that some respond or I have been told that some respond better than others. I wonder at some of the better aged celebrities if they are doing these kinds of treatments instead of the implants and pulling and stretching - these look better. I don't intend to go to extremes I know I am going to age and thinking I will not is delusional - however I am very pleased with how the renewed collagen tightened things up. I really think - it took about a decade off my appearance when its all said and done. (I know its a joke around here about looking younger, but this made an impact) I think this getting at that collagen level and making it regenerate is a real "youth serum" - I kind of pay attention to other things a little better since spending this money on myself. I try and dress in a classic style - not just grub around in tee shirts like so many mom's do - because I am a mom. Its hard to explain. Maybe because I had those struggles with health - it brought my awareness into better self care which is an entire attitude. Another thing that I think has helped my face is really cutting back on carbs - but that is another topic. I just wanted to chime in on this thread with a story about more recent procedures. I did not have my face peeled off - I had a more recent procedure. I felt it was worth the time, minimal pain and financial investment and I have been happy with the results. The cool sculpt on the chin area as well. I personally find the chin to be my kind of focus zone and something seems to happen to our chins around 45. It can be a drastic change too, like one morning you wake up and go what the fuck - where is my chin. I notice on some of my old high school classmates or even on celebs around my age - that chin area imo can be more aging than the eyes. I guess its just personal preference. I think too much gets done around the eyes and cheeks - and that can really alter the appearance. This procedure did not alter my appearance drastically just seemed to pull everything tighter again.

by Anonymousreply 67August 12, 2018 12:14 AM

OP, how do you know you need a laser treatment if you know nothing about lasers? One goes to a dermatologist to be evaluated for these things.

by Anonymousreply 68August 12, 2018 12:36 AM

Tried lactic acid peels - each time I did it gave me little white cysts. No more peels for me

by Anonymousreply 69August 12, 2018 12:42 AM

R67, thanks. Great that you are taking care of yourself. I think that for maintenance a really good aerobic routine, even fast walking, is very helpful, something about collagen stimulation. Of course SPF, if outside.

by Anonymousreply 70August 12, 2018 4:08 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!