Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

I Hate the word cis

there, i said it!

by Anonymousreply 80July 10, 2017 7:46 AM

How long has that word been around? Is it an actual word, or something recently made up?

by Anonymousreply 1June 29, 2017 1:59 AM

I hate it, too. I will not be defined by what I am not.

by Anonymousreply 2June 29, 2017 1:59 AM

Cis my ass OP.

by Anonymousreply 3June 29, 2017 1:59 AM

Snore.... how many of these threads do you people need?

by Anonymousreply 4June 29, 2017 2:01 AM

Wipe it first, R3.

by Anonymousreply 5June 29, 2017 2:01 AM

How long must we be subjected to their sexist homophobic psychobabble?

by Anonymousreply 6June 29, 2017 2:02 AM

What's wrong with cis? It's not defining you but "what you are not," R3. I take it you are a cis male? It's just letting us know you were born male. Why do you have to be a jerk about it?

by Anonymousreply 7June 29, 2017 2:02 AM

Preach

by Anonymousreply 8June 29, 2017 2:02 AM

Please don't ask like a cissy

by Anonymousreply 9June 29, 2017 2:04 AM

I have the same questions as R1?

by Anonymousreply 10June 29, 2017 2:06 AM

I had never even heard of "cis" or "cisgender" or anything of the sort until a few years ago. "Cisgender" was only added to the Oxford English Dictionary in 2015.

by Anonymousreply 11June 29, 2017 2:14 AM

This shall be tomorrow's word Of The Day.

by Anonymousreply 12June 29, 2017 2:15 AM

According to Merriam Webster's Dictionary the word cis has only been around since 1994. NOT A REAL WORD.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 13June 29, 2017 2:16 AM

And I believe that word came into use in 2015, not1994. How did a word that new, that no one uses besides trans who are .1 percent of the population, get put into the dictionary?

by Anonymousreply 14June 29, 2017 2:18 AM

In Latin, it's the opposite of 'trans' which in Latin means "across" or "on the other side of".

"a prefix occurring in loanwords from Latin meaning โ€œon the near side of; on THIS side ofโ€ ( cisalpine); on this model, used in the formation of compound words ( cisatlantic)."

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 15June 29, 2017 2:19 AM

I'm r1.

by Anonymousreply 16June 29, 2017 2:19 AM

PS They (trans and cis) are both prefixes, not actual nouns.

by Anonymousreply 17June 29, 2017 2:19 AM

Biological male worked just fine r15.

by Anonymousreply 18June 29, 2017 2:20 AM

There are far more interesting things to hate like Trump's horrible spray tan.

by Anonymousreply 19June 29, 2017 2:21 AM

I refuse to acknowledge the stupid term.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 20June 29, 2017 2:31 AM

It will pass, OP.

by Anonymousreply 21June 29, 2017 2:32 AM

It's meant to emasculate gay men especially . F the SJW

by Anonymousreply 22June 29, 2017 2:32 AM

Cis is bad. Clit scares me to death.

by Anonymousreply 23June 29, 2017 2:40 AM

[quote]What's wrong with cis? It's not defining you but "what you are not," [R3]. I take it you are a cis male? It's just letting us know you were born male. Why do you have to be a jerk about it?

As a homosexual, we've spent our entire lives having people qualify our being men. Society continues to hold to the idea that we are not men because we have sex with other men. We are men - full stop. No additional adjectives required or wanted. You are perfectly within your rights to qualify yourself. If you want to be a trans man or whatever else, go ahead. You don't get to place any disclaimer on the rest of us being men.

It's hypocritical to put labels on other people at the same time as these people demand not to be labeled themselves. It's also flawed logic - if one can decide he's a man (for whatever internal reasoning), then birth gender is irrelevant. Using the "cis" label merely emphasizes the "otherness" of the very people who want to be seen as no different.

And that, Marjorie --- just so you will know --- and your children will someday know --- is the night the lights went out in Georgia!

by Anonymousreply 24June 29, 2017 2:53 AM

bless r24

by Anonymousreply 25June 29, 2017 2:55 AM

I heard a straight guy say the word was designed to be "emasculating".

by Anonymousreply 26June 29, 2017 2:56 AM

How does it cis emasculate gay men? Straight men can, and offer are, cis men too. Harrison Ford is a cis straight male. Doesn't emasculate him.

by Anonymousreply 27June 29, 2017 2:57 AM

I think because when men hear "cis" they automatically associate it with "sissy". So it has this very negative connotation for a lot of guys.

by Anonymousreply 28June 29, 2017 2:59 AM

R24 -

[quote] As a homosexual, we've spent our entire lives having people qualify our being men.

What on earth does this sentence mean? Are you speaking just for yourself? Or are you speaking for all men you label as homosexual? I have no idea how old you are but I doubt very much what you describe is the same experience for gay men everywhere and of every age.

[quote] then birth gender is irrelevant

What is birth gender? A phrase you have made up? Or do you not know what gender means?

[quote] Using the "cis" label merely emphasizes the "otherness" of the very people who want to be seen as no different.

Where did you get the idea that anyone wanted to be seen as "no different"? I'm a gay man and I certainly see myself as different from a straight man. But that difference isn't a reason to deny me full civil and human rights. That concept of being different but having the same rights is a critical part of law and life here in the US.

by Anonymousreply 29June 29, 2017 4:46 AM

Cis is a scientific expression appropriated by social "scientists" to lend credence to their bullshit theories.

by Anonymousreply 30June 29, 2017 4:50 AM

If you're a MTT who has the right to call me cis or cismale, then I have the right to call you a man. Which is what you are, despite the dress & wig.

by Anonymousreply 31June 29, 2017 4:55 AM

Cis also glosses over the struggles many, many people, especially same-sex attracted people, have in conforming to the behaviors expected of their gender. Gender is imposed on all of us - the bullshit idea that it is naturally occurring to some people enables the justification of female oppression as being based in characteristics natural to their sex.

by Anonymousreply 32June 29, 2017 5:11 AM

They can't just say the word "normal" so they had to invent the word "cis" to counter "trans"

by Anonymousreply 33June 29, 2017 5:11 AM

did none of you ever take high school chemistry

as in cis-isomer and trans-isomer

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 34June 29, 2017 5:12 AM

Did you ever take biology r34?

by Anonymousreply 35June 29, 2017 5:15 AM

Gender doesn't make a lot of sense to me, it's just a social construct, hence arbitrary bullshit, related to both sex. And I wish we could get rid of that for obvious reasons. So transgender and cisgender don't make more sense to me, it's just new words for old conservative nonsense.

by Anonymousreply 36June 29, 2017 5:41 AM

Move it along, Cis.

by Anonymousreply 37June 29, 2017 5:45 AM

I will not use the 'cis' label. I was born this gender and I will die this gender. I think transgender is used by those who are born one gender and decide (or have it decided for them...looking at you Angelina Jolie) for whatever reason. My personal opinion (yeah, yeah hate mongers, no one cares about my personal opinion) is that they are self-loathing gays. Do the men get rid of their penis? Or are they like Laverne Cox who says he is keeping her penis because his penis is feminine. That sentence alone tells me Laverne is delusional.

If some want to use 'cis' by all means, cis your hearts out. I will never use it in reference to myself or anyone else. It's offensive. People are either male or female, whether they're born that way or choose to change that, still male or female. I know....gender fluid. Nope. Not buying it.

I will also never use our new alphabet...LGBTI. No. The trans and the intersex do not belong in the LGB community. We should never have allowed ourselves to adopt every damn orphaned cause that knocks on our door. Our issues are different from theirs and, frankly, I think that including them makes it even harder for us to get the rights that we deserve. Yes, they deserve the same rights we all deserve but not under our umbrella.

Yes, I am a cranky asshole, set in my ways. I will die and take my opinions with me but not soon enough for the Millenials who have a much greater sense of inclusion than I do.

by Anonymousreply 38June 29, 2017 5:54 AM

OP: Saying you hate the word 'cis' was difficult? Why?

by Anonymousreply 39June 29, 2017 6:02 AM

The term confuses me> I hate language that seems to obscure.

by Anonymousreply 40June 29, 2017 6:15 AM

From R(20) article:

"Currently, Just Want Privacy, an anti-trans group, is gathering signatures for Initiative 1552 in Washington State, which, if passed, would force trans kids in public schools to use the bathroom of their sex at birth. Pushed under the guise of protecting the safety and privacy of women and children, what bathroom bills inevitably do is harm trans people, who are put at risk when forced to use bathrooms that may not match the gender they present. "

And also from the article:

"There is a contingent of "radical feminists" ("radfems" in internet parlance) who use stories like Cass's to argue that transitioning is a patriarchal attempt to reinforce gender roles and erase butch women. Some radfems (a subset of whom are commonly referred to as "trans exclusionary radical feminists" or TERFs, a term that is generally considered a slur by those it's directed toward) allege that the modern trans movement is fueled by the pharmaceutical and biotech industries, which have fooled gender nonconforming peopleโ€”especially gays and lesbiansโ€”into seeking costly medical interventions for no reason."

So with the first quote, the author seems to admit that men in restrooms commit violence against humans dressed like women, but then the author wants to transfer that risk of violence to "cis" women by allowing men into women's restroom, therefore admitting that women are worth less than men (MtTs) in the eyes of MtTs and their allies. It's more important to protect MtT than the more than 50% of the population who were born women.

If MtT were indeed women they would know why women do not want to give any man legal access to their private spaces.

In the second quote, the author acts as if the perfectly reasonable objections some women and gays have to the T is just K-Razy, when in fact, their objections ARE perfectly reasonable to the sane.

And, in the comments, a poster says that misgendering a T is a hate crime in the state of Washington.

by Anonymousreply 41June 29, 2017 6:35 AM

Misgendering is a hate crime in Wa? Calling a man "he" is on a par with dragging James Byrd behind a truck until his head pops off or killing Matthew Shepard and crucifying him on a fence?

One more reason to vote for Trump in 2020.

by Anonymousreply 42June 29, 2017 6:58 AM

[quote] One more reason to vote for Trump in 2020.

As if anybody needed more of a clue that you assholes are all pro-Trump cunts, R42.

by Anonymousreply 43June 29, 2017 7:07 AM

R42 hates gay men and hates all women.

by Anonymousreply 44June 29, 2017 7:29 AM

I meant to say R43

by Anonymousreply 45June 29, 2017 7:30 AM

SJW @ R[43] can't read because R[42] made it clear that he, himself, would not vote for Trump.

R[42] the poster in the article R[20] posted comes back later in the comments and cites the exact Washington state statute, but it didn't make sense so you might want to check out the comment section for yourself.

R[43] can you and the state of Washington guarantee to females that every single XY who enters a women's locker room claiming to be a female is indeed a MtT and not a pedophile, pervert, Peeping Tom or prankster?

by Anonymousreply 46June 29, 2017 7:32 AM

Only trannys used that word. I hate it too.

by Anonymousreply 47June 29, 2017 7:49 AM

Oooh, OP. Be careful speaking truth to power. You might get doxxed and stalked and harassed.

by Anonymousreply 48June 29, 2017 7:57 AM

[quote][R42] hates gay men and hates all women.

Not as much as the people forcing us to call ourselves this for seeing through their tyrannical bullshit.

by Anonymousreply 49June 29, 2017 7:57 AM

What in the Sam Hill did I say which implies that I hate gay men and women?

by Anonymousreply 50June 29, 2017 8:29 AM

Who the fuck is Sam Hill?

by Anonymousreply 51June 29, 2017 8:40 AM

Nevermind. According to Google Sam Hill is an Aussie mountain bike rider.

by Anonymousreply 52June 29, 2017 8:43 AM

I think you meant a cis mountain bike rider, r52

by Anonymousreply 53June 29, 2017 8:49 AM

0.3% of the population has a gender identity disorder so they have to invent a word for 99.7% of the population so they can label them as "privileged" and "normative."

It's demented.

What other disease affects 0.3% of the population and creates this much chaos? Hmm? Anything?

by Anonymousreply 54June 29, 2017 9:14 AM

The term male or gay man works for me. I just completely blank out the word cis and anyone who uses it.

It's a non-word and means literally nothing and has no relevance to anyone unless they are a "queer" SJW Internet warrior activist who seem to think that we all live in their self-fashioned world of continual slights and self created turmoil and conflict and are desperate to hear every single word that comes out of their mouths.... We don't and we aren't.

Also - I hate Trump and wish his orange tanning liquid would explode into flames and melt the skin of his morbidly obese body - before you accuse me of being a Trump supporter you cunts. I didn't mention his hair bursting into flames because all gays know that it's fireproof and would survive a nuclear bombing attack with the cockroaches.

by Anonymousreply 55June 29, 2017 9:34 AM

...๐’‚๐’๐’… ๐’š๐’๐’–๐’“ ๐’๐’Š๐’•๐’•๐’๐’† ๐’…๐’๐’ˆ ๐’•๐’๐’!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 56June 29, 2017 9:36 AM

Cis: A person who identifies with the gender assigned to them at birth.

No one is"assigned" a gender. Medical staff and parents observe a baby's biological sex and record it as male or female.

Gender is a collection of stereotypes associated with being male or female. No human is a stereotype. No one is "cis".

by Anonymousreply 57June 29, 2017 10:01 AM

DNA, chromosomes & anatomy determine the sex of humans and other mammals. Women have different hormones and the ability to give birth. Surgery & hormone therapy may change anatomy but not DNA & chromosomes. There is nothing controversial about that. Sex does not naturally determine how one dresses or acts. That's where the social concept of gender comes in. Presumably, gender can be chosen & changed.

by Anonymousreply 58June 29, 2017 10:26 AM

R32 - Your argument makes no sense. Especially within the context of feminism. Feminism has never asserted there is no difference between male and female. Those differences aren't the basis for discrimination. Obvious example - sex or gender shouldn't impact one's right to vote. Even the most radical of feminists accept there are differences between men and women. Even the most radical of feminist accept the difference between male and female genders. You need to check a calendar. It has been decades since radical feminist have tried to shame women for being women. That is what you are doing. Which leads me to think you are a white gay male probably over 50 years old.

R57 - you don't know what cisgender means. You claim if is identifying with gender assigned them at birth Biological sex is assigned at birth. Not gender. If a baby has a penis it is said to be male. That is a biological determination of sex. Not gender. It is years before gender can be identified. Then with the individuals consent. It's not that complicated.

by Anonymousreply 59July 4, 2017 6:22 AM

Me too. Who comes up with these ugly neologisms? Is there a competition for least euphonious word? This one is especially odd, sounding as it does like "Sis."

by Anonymousreply 60July 4, 2017 6:26 AM

[38] (self-described "cranky asshole"),

I love you!

by Anonymousreply 61July 4, 2017 6:32 AM

R60 - look it up. Do you have the same problem with "pederast" and "pedantic"?

by Anonymousreply 62July 4, 2017 6:33 AM

I do have a problem with "pederast" and the negative connotations it has. "Pedantic" is fine. The prefix "cis," used as it is currently, is clunky and trendy and won't last.

by Anonymousreply 63July 4, 2017 6:48 AM

We all hate 'cis'. The question is, how do we effectively fight back against it?

'Queer' is another one.

by Anonymousreply 64July 4, 2017 6:49 AM

So Laverne has kept the Cox?

by Anonymousreply 65July 4, 2017 6:58 AM

That Tannehill person quoted in the article at R20 sounds like a psychotic liar. People like that are horrible. There is nothing "right-wing" about criticizing the parts of trans beliefs that don't make sense. Nor does the right wing have anything to do with someone wanting to 'detransition'.

by Anonymousreply 66July 4, 2017 7:21 AM

r59 - please show me where I stated there's no difference between the sexes. Oh, you can't because I said no such thing. How about where I tried to 'shame women for being women'? Nope, I didn't do that either. My point was that cis legitimizes as naturally inherent traits that are trained, such as passivity and subservience to (male) authority being feminine behaviors expected of girls and women. Your assumptions re my sex and age are as accurate and perceptive as your critique of my argument. Maybe you should read some more.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 67July 4, 2017 7:44 AM

How do the crazies label born female at birth? Cis female?

by Anonymousreply 68July 4, 2017 8:08 AM

Cisette females

by Anonymousreply 69July 4, 2017 10:10 AM

I don't even know what it means, nor do I care. All the new words are just lame.

by Anonymousreply 70July 4, 2017 10:27 AM

The actual description of it just sounds made up!

by Anonymousreply 71July 4, 2017 4:42 PM

i ONLY think of Cisalpina Gaul and Transalpina Gaul

by Anonymousreply 72July 4, 2017 4:44 PM

R7 Why do you have to add words when they aren't necessary? Didn't your daddy tell you that you were special enough when he'd slip into your bed at night as a child?

by Anonymousreply 73July 4, 2017 4:48 PM

Maybe already stated. From my long ago Chemistry, I think cis- is a standard prefix used to describe molecule structure. The opposite of trans-.

by Anonymousreply 74July 4, 2017 4:57 PM

r29 -

Your unhinged screed reflects a fundamental lack of reading comprehensions skills. You take random sentences from my post and create your own delusional meaning.

Use cis, don't use cis - I don't really care what you do for yourself.

However, I will not accept the word as a label for me. Is that simple enough for your meager cognition skills to grasp. It's a made-up word which has no meaning for me or my life. I am a male - full stop, no qualifiers or other labels required or accepted.

If that bothers or offends you, well then, it sucks to be you and it's just too damn bad.

by Anonymousreply 75July 4, 2017 7:34 PM

R24 / R75 - Interesting reply. I quote from your post and then reply to those quotes.

You decide not to answer my post but just to claim I have a fundamental lack or reading comprehension?

Nice try. But a fail.

Do you not have answers to the specific questions I asked?

by Anonymousreply 76July 10, 2017 5:20 AM

"Cis" isn't so much a word as a slur.

Once someone uses it other than for snark, I can't really listen to whatever gibberish will follow.

by Anonymousreply 77July 10, 2017 6:21 AM

The only word I hate more is "neurotypical."

by Anonymousreply 78July 10, 2017 6:24 AM

Boys, Girls, Cis people, some civility please!

by Anonymousreply 79July 10, 2017 6:29 AM

There is no such thing as "cis". I ask anyone here who believes in the idea of "cis" to provide me with a definition. Try.

by Anonymousreply 80July 10, 2017 7:46 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!