Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

DJ Junior Vasquez from Twilo - does he still spin anywhere in NYC?

I remember dancing at Twilo and loving him. I loved his remixes too and still listen to them at the gym. I have searched the internet for most of them, but would love to hear him live again. Does anyone know when he might be spinning? I'd also love to hear anyone's stories from the days of Twilo. It was always fun seeing Amanda Lepore and other downtown characters there in the late 1990s.

by Anonymousreply 80May 9, 2019 11:58 AM

U still go to circuit parties?

by Anonymousreply 1June 19, 2017 1:26 AM

Nope, haven't been to one in say maybe 15 years.

by Anonymousreply 2June 19, 2017 1:40 AM

Have you checked his Facebook page

by Anonymousreply 3June 19, 2017 2:19 AM

No one's going to remember anything. Most of the clubs were painted flat black and all that ever happened was that someone fell into or came out of a k hole to a house beat and strobe lights. Also they got drink tickets and fell off their stacks. Sad trombone.

I do remember a night when everyone got ahold of the same batch of bad k and everyone vomited simultaneously all over the dance floor and surrounding areas. I'm not sure if Junior Vasquez was spinning. Good times.

Also, I remember the names of a lot of clubs or nights at the time but don't really remember much about actually going. I remember; Save the Robots, Coney Island High, Meow Mix, Limelight, Bowery Bar, and Splash. If Armand Van Helden was also kind of a resident DJ at Twilo then I remember going there at around 4am on any big night out to wrap things up. There was somewhere everyone used to end up at around 4. They say the mind protects itself from trauma.

by Anonymousreply 4June 19, 2017 2:19 AM

Yeah I remember Limelight too.

by Anonymousreply 5June 20, 2017 12:18 AM

Bump

by Anonymousreply 6June 24, 2017 12:13 AM

I liked The Roxy more than any of them.

by Anonymousreply 7June 24, 2017 12:22 AM

Does La India still make club appearances?

YouTube took down the actual video of this fucking awesome 1997 hit.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 8June 24, 2017 12:26 AM

Does anyone still go out to circuit party type nights on saturdays in NYC? I'd be curious to know.

by Anonymousreply 9June 24, 2017 1:30 AM

Does anyone know if circuit party type night even exist any longer in NYC?

by Anonymousreply 10June 25, 2017 4:19 AM

I think there was a club in Hell's Kitchen for a while, but not sure if it's open anymore.

by Anonymousreply 11June 25, 2017 11:54 AM

Are there still ANY big night club dance parties in NYC anymore???

by Anonymousreply 12June 25, 2017 12:06 PM

With all the youngsters doing "molly", there must be something like the big parties people used to go to.

by Anonymousreply 13June 25, 2017 12:58 PM

Talented guy. It's impossible to believe, but Wiki says Junior is now 67.

by Anonymousreply 14June 25, 2017 12:59 PM

67? So I guess his spinning days are done? I looked at his Facebook page and it said something about him being MIA.

by Anonymousreply 15June 25, 2017 1:02 PM

I think he also spins at Sound Factory.

by Anonymousreply 16June 26, 2017 11:06 PM

Probably waiting for his next birthday.

by Anonymousreply 17June 29, 2017 11:14 PM

Brooklyn has had a club scene for 15 years, gramps.

by Anonymousreply 18June 29, 2017 11:24 PM

Oh, dear R7! It was never "The" Roxy!

by Anonymousreply 19June 29, 2017 11:26 PM

imo Junior at Twilo could be off the charts amazing, and other times his parties never really gelled. It largely depended on what drugs you—and Junior—were doing, and if they weren't the same, you didn't always get what you paid for (his mix of Your Child/Mary K Blige going on and on and on for 30 minutes is not my idea of dance music). But other times, like the Halloween party I went to in 1997 or 98, it was quite a party: those two cute performance artist guys from Miami with their bodysuits covered in glow sticks, or that Madonna impersonator who was on the NY club scene back then who had me—high on X don't forget—convinced it really WAS Madonna when she slink out on stage really late one night and did Beautiful Stranger. I agree withs someone upthread who liked Roxy better. It had a friendlier vibe, while Twilo felt hardcore and insular. Hardcore = Junior, who didn't even start spinning until 4am and often went until 1 or 2 pm on Sunday afternoon.

imo both his Volume 1 and Volume 2 cds are great. The others I'm not as familiar with.

As far as similar parties these days in NYC, LadyFag's Battle Hymn on Friday nights is probably a good one. And Suzanne Bartsch does her parties, I think her latest one is at The Standard. Just follow people like Amanda Lepore, or party photographer Marco Ovando, or this guy whyidodeclare on Instagram. They post movie clips and pics of the parties on their IG Live feeds and they are up on Saturday. Get the 'your are there' experience without going!

btw Amanda, with her uncomplicated skill set god bless her, is still at it, living for the night, fashion, music, and the latest club. I tried the Amanda Lepore diet once ("two cornflakes a day") and I just couldn't.

by Anonymousreply 20June 30, 2017 1:34 AM

Amanda Lenore is definitely a trooper. Have to hand it to her. Never seemed to get tired of the scene.

by Anonymousreply 21July 3, 2017 1:32 AM

If Madonna calls, I'm not here.

by Anonymousreply 22July 3, 2017 2:56 AM

I ink my favorite song was "Skin" by Charlotte. That always brought everyone to the dance floor.

by Anonymousreply 23July 3, 2017 10:46 PM

What ever happened to him?

by Anonymousreply 24August 24, 2017 1:07 AM

How many Junior Vasquezes are there now?

by Anonymousreply 25August 24, 2017 1:17 AM

R25 the younger people on this bulletin board may not know who this post is actually talking about.

by Anonymousreply 26August 24, 2017 1:22 AM

He's fine, he sends his love!

by Anonymousreply 27August 24, 2017 1:29 AM

R22 made me laugh!

It was the Hispanic queen's voice on that sample that made it so funny (like the hood rat girl saying "I got a man!").

I also had a disc of his with a message from his answering machine of Madonna saying "Junior, it's Madonna, if you're there pick up!" over & over.

She was a fun-time gal that's for sure.

The guy up-thread also made me laugh about being on different drugs than the DJ at those big parties!

by Anonymousreply 28August 24, 2017 1:45 AM

God - I remember so many nights at Sound Factory with Junior. The Pressure was the big song one summer - 91 or 92? Amazing nights of dancing until 10 or 11am. I still listen to some of that old music and am totally transported.

But you knew you were in a dangerous place at the same time - you knew a lot of tragedies were going to happen to your peers at some point in the future.

Junior descended into a huge meth addiction - I think he's close to 65 or older by now.

by Anonymousreply 29August 24, 2017 3:53 AM

Twilo & Sound Factory. High on E until Sunday afternoon.

by Anonymousreply 30August 24, 2017 3:54 AM

Leaving Sound Factory early Sunday afternoon with pupils as big as saucers. Tripping over 1000 empty Poland spring water bottles. Priceless

by Anonymousreply 31August 24, 2017 3:58 AM

I am thin and gorgeous!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 32August 24, 2017 4:06 AM

[quote]Junior descended into a huge meth addiction - I think he's close to 65 or older by now.

Did he sell franchises to others so they could use the name?

by Anonymousreply 33August 24, 2017 2:09 PM

I remember one night a million years ago getting into a cab in Sheridan Sq with my friends Rich and Nick. We had dropped some E a bit earlier. The radio in the cab was playing Stairway to Heaven. When the driver heard our destination was Sound Factory he changed the station and Loleatta and Love Sensation blasted forth. Sigh. From then it was amazing; Junior was on the same wavelength musically and we left at about 9 and walked back to Morton St...(not a good idea). Highlights from that night were Best Things in Life are Free, Let Me Be Your Underwear and Do You Want it Right Now. In retrospect...the amount of drugs was staggering but at the time well it would have been rude to refuse....

by Anonymousreply 34August 24, 2017 2:38 PM

Yea, once Junior got into his meth phase in early 2000s (like every circuit queen) his spinning would become very "pots and pans" after a couple of hours after the X wore off. It frequently was NOT fun. Sometimes when his drugs were working it would be fun, but that became more and more of a rarity, especially during the year Earth was around.

by Anonymousreply 35August 24, 2017 2:41 PM

Ahh, those fab days of NY nightlife seem to be gone forever. Lots of fun as shirtless male bodies danced up a storm

by Anonymousreply 36August 24, 2017 4:02 PM

[quote]or that Madonna impersonator who was on the NY club scene back then who had me—high on X don't forget—convinced it really WAS Madonna when she slink out on stage really late one night and did Beautiful Stranger

I remember being at Salvation in South Beach for a Juniorverse event and she came out to sing Frozen in Japanese drag. Most of the fucked up queens were CERTAIN it was Madonna. I enjoyed their reaction more than her lip sync

by Anonymousreply 37August 24, 2017 5:06 PM

[quote] his spinning would become very "pots and pans"

Does anyone know what this means?

by Anonymousreply 38August 24, 2017 6:29 PM

Pots and pans was a term everyone used back then. It was when the DJ wasn't using any great vocals. So you'd just be dancing to a "beat" for hours upon hours. But you'd never get that release a great vocal track a la Deborah Cox, Amber, or Kim English could give you.

by Anonymousreply 39August 25, 2017 1:53 AM

Yes - Junior did go very pots and pans - it was considered a 'rest period' - but it would go on FOREVER. If you fucked up the timing of your drugs, you were not going to peak during the 'good' times.

Also, Junior was a bit malicious with his music - when he knew everyone was tripping hard he would play some fucked up shit. There was one song that goes - If your mother knew where you were now she would not be a happy woman, etc. Ummm...I don't want to hear that when I'm in a dark drug den in the prostitute area of New York City.

I found Frankie Knuckles to be a lot lighter - Junior was a short dark spiteful man. Frankie was about love - Junior was about power over the dancefloor.

by Anonymousreply 40August 25, 2017 9:54 PM

I assumed pots n pans meant an almighty racket.

by Anonymousreply 41August 25, 2017 9:57 PM

Oh dear

by Anonymousreply 42August 25, 2017 9:59 PM

R41 - not too far off sometimes.

by Anonymousreply 43August 25, 2017 10:03 PM

R40 you're right he liked to fuck with his crowd sometimes. He ruled the roost and he knew it. He could be moody, and he was going to give people exactly what HE wanted, not necessarily what THEY wanted. Musical genius though.

by Anonymousreply 44August 28, 2017 1:27 AM

That's about when I stopped going to clubs, around that pots and pans shit time. I didn't do any drugs, usually the music and dancing was enough euphoria for me. But that moody endless dark beat shit wore me down, no one could dance to that crap. Those drugged out zombies all seemed to just hovering around. Garbage. We have Junior to thank for that?? Fuck him and his meth addiction and his barebacking.

by Anonymousreply 45August 28, 2017 1:52 AM

I remember the music just stopped one night. Someone looked in the booth and Susan Morabito was on the floor, in a K hole.

by Anonymousreply 46August 28, 2017 2:09 AM

He admits he likes to bareback young twinks. This was said in the pre-PrEP days.

Oh and remember this, hunties? Yassss

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 47August 28, 2017 2:15 AM

Or this!

Tweeeeeeeeek

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 48August 28, 2017 2:19 AM

Anyone know what happened to Jerome Farley who was associated with Junior?

by Anonymousreply 49August 28, 2017 2:57 AM

Goodness. Junior and Samantha Robson knew each other? Is he still doing those "junior birthday parties"?

by Anonymousreply 50August 29, 2017 12:47 AM

Juniors Birthday parties were always great.

by Anonymousreply 51August 30, 2017 12:34 AM

Bump

by Anonymousreply 52September 1, 2017 9:43 PM

Maybe he just spins records in his own home now.

by Anonymousreply 53October 15, 2017 12:03 PM

Is he still on meth and topping twinks? Does he still play 18 hour sets that encourage the revelers to do Tina to keep up all that time?

by Anonymousreply 54October 15, 2017 12:40 PM

R22 made me laugh too. ("Disconnect her. Disconnect her. Dis-dis-disconnect her.")

BTW, should he be called Senior Vasquez now?

by Anonymousreply 55October 15, 2017 12:55 PM

Senior Vasquez - lol!

by Anonymousreply 56October 15, 2017 5:57 PM

I don't think there are any parties like that anymore. The faded away slowly. Now people prefer staring at their phones.

by Anonymousreply 57November 6, 2017 2:18 AM

He was amazing at Zaldamo’s

by Anonymousreply 58November 6, 2017 3:04 AM

Palladium 1996:

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 59November 6, 2017 6:11 AM

[quote]I tried the Amanda Lepore diet once ("two cornflakes a day") and I just couldn't.

I thought it was just the one cornflake. LOL

by Anonymousreply 60November 6, 2017 6:19 AM

Space Ibiza 2015:

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 61November 6, 2017 6:28 AM

Twilo, save the robots, Bowery bar, limelight. I wonder if I've actually bumped into any of you. Even sucked off if you frequented the back room at limelight. Yes good times

by Anonymousreply 62November 6, 2017 8:13 AM

Junior at Sound Factory was great. Twilo...not so much. Palladium and anything after that, a hot mess. And yes, we were calling him Senior by the late 90s.

by Anonymousreply 63November 6, 2017 8:30 AM

R61 did you go thO that space at Ibiza party in 2015? That's not even that long ago. Does he do anything like that nowadays?

by Anonymousreply 64November 7, 2017 12:06 AM

I smell clouds of Tina

by Anonymousreply 65November 7, 2017 12:10 AM

R37 I was at that party. It was beyond amazing.

Junior spun one of the big White Party circuit events at Miami Bch Conv Ctr, sometime in the late 90s/early 00s. Must have been 4000+ there, easy.

He must have been high as a kite, because he kept fucking up: dead air between songs, scratching, etc. The crowd started booing. He gave us the finger & walked off. Luckily the opening DJ was still there & took over.

Junior *never* came back to South Bch after that.

Don't know if it was because the promoters didnt want him back or if it was his choice. I think it was the promoters, IIRC.

by Anonymousreply 66November 7, 2017 12:35 AM

Doesn't he usually do some sort of Thanksgiving party?

by Anonymousreply 67November 16, 2017 1:37 AM

I’m glad I made a couple of you bitches laugh! I had that on cd... Hello Junior, it’s Madonna, call me in Miami... Him using her phone message on a song effectively put the last nail in the coffin of that relationship.

by Anonymousreply 68November 16, 2017 1:53 AM

Oh, dear [R7]! It was never "The" Roxy!

The club's name was Roxy, the invitations said Roxy, but we ALL verbally referred to it as "the Roxy", as in "at what time are you getting to THE ROXY?"

Please bitch, I practically lived there between 1989 and 2001. From the times we danced to "Groove Is In The Heart" way before it hit the charts (the LaHoma, Susanne Bartsch, cigarette 'girls' and kid-clubs-with-lunch-boxes days) to the secret night Cher tried "Believe" on the gay revelers (the darker decor days).

by Anonymousreply 69November 16, 2017 2:25 AM

First line was meant to be a quote.

by Anonymousreply 70November 16, 2017 2:26 AM

R69 what swing?

by Anonymousreply 71January 26, 2018 1:55 AM

Bump

by Anonymousreply 72January 6, 2019 9:14 PM

"The Roxy" is in L.A. Alas, I was in S.F. during those times, so it was Doc Martin for our raves.

by Anonymousreply 73January 6, 2019 9:25 PM

Ah yes, it was all such fun, such art, and sooo exclusive! Just like 1980, 1972, 1965;...…..

by Anonymousreply 74January 6, 2019 9:31 PM

Frankie Knuckles was far superior. A true DJ who lifted spirits and souls. Junior was too hard and seemed to play for a harder drug crowd. Frankie is greatly missed.

by Anonymousreply 75January 7, 2019 1:10 AM

Does Frankie spin anywhere right now? It would be fun to hear these legends and dance again.

by Anonymousreply 76January 9, 2019 12:07 PM

Frankie Knuckles died years ago. Much too young. Apparently diabetes. Yet the meth head Junior Vasquez is alive and well at 68. Life isn’t fair.

by Anonymousreply 77January 9, 2019 6:08 PM

Methy Vazquez and his ilk bear some of the blame for the gay meth crisis. It’s irresponsible for a DJ to spin for over 24 hours while amped up on Tina and who knows what else, the partygoers just followed suit.

by Anonymousreply 78January 9, 2019 6:15 PM

I think he is spinning a party soon.

by Anonymousreply 79April 24, 2019 1:42 AM

Something in Queens I think

by Anonymousreply 80May 9, 2019 11:58 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!