Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Oregon becomes first US state to offer gender-neutral option on driver’s licenses

Oregon made history this week by becoming the first state in the US to legally recognize non-binary, intersex and agender people on driver’s licenses and ID cards. The state’s Transportation Commission passed the new rule on Thursday (15 June).

Effective 3 July, residents will have the choice of three gender categories when applying for a driver’s licenses or a state ID card: male, female and ‘X’ for non-binary or unspecified.

Oregon Governor Kate Brown says of the change: ‘We must proactively break down the barriers of institutional bias.

Brown called the change an important step toward creating ‘a society that upholds the rights, liberties and dignity of each of its people.’

The change comes after courts granted more than a dozen people Oregon and California non-binary status.

Among them is US Army veteran Jamie Shupe who a year ago became the first person in the US to legally change their gender to non-binary.

‘I’ve trembled with the fear of failure and cried tears until I had no more tears to cry, because of the magnitude of what’s been at stake—and now won,’ Shupe tells NBC News.

‘But in the end, the huge legal and non-binary civil rights battle that I expected to unfold going into this never came to pass; simply because this was always the right thing to do all along.’

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 2608/15/2017

Lets supposed one of these gender-neutral people get in trouble with the law and are sentenced to either county jail or prison. Do they go in the male or female prison?

by Anonymousreply 106/16/2017

Interesting that your first thought is about putting them in prison.

Wonder why you thought of that.

It's a puzzler.

by Anonymousreply 206/16/2017

They are already putting anatomical males in women's prisons. Even ones with prior rape convictions. Women in a state prison in Texas are filing a lawsuit about being forced to share cells with male rapists. The way things are going nowadays, they will probably lose.

by Anonymousreply 306/16/2017

R2 Not a puzzler at all. It's because, unlike most people in trans la-la land, they understand that this gender crap has real-world consequences that might actually cause people harm. Like women in prisons, or law enforcement trying to find and ID dangerous criminals, which a large number of trans "women" happen to be.

by Anonymousreply 406/16/2017

If you are fucking gender neutral R2 that is a problem. It is also a problem with what restroom you use.

by Anonymousreply 506/16/2017

BOLO: "white. Gender x. blonde hair. 5"12" This could make things confusing.

by Anonymousreply 606/16/2017

California is next.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 706/16/2017

Obviously no one in Oregon studied basic biology.

by Anonymousreply 806/16/2017

5'12"?

by Anonymousreply 906/16/2017

The real question is, are trans FORCED to use the X gender option, or can they lie and claim to be female or male when they're really not?

I'm ok with having a third gender option, as long as every trans nutjob uses it.

by Anonymousreply 1006/16/2017

It's just going to be jokers checking whatever box they want.

by Anonymousreply 1106/16/2017

Pandering to nutjobs.

by Anonymousreply 1206/16/2017

I know there's a knee-jerk reaction to write this off as the trans population are all crazies and loons. But I legitimately don't understand any of this, as hard as I try. What is the third category for? Wouldn't Bruce Jenner identify as Male, and Caitlyn Jenner identify as Female? And If you're someone who doesn't identify as either, then wouldn't your XX or XY status dictate what you are?

by Anonymousreply 1306/18/2017

Per r1

What happens when using this ID at airports and Heavens to Mergatroyd...

They have to pat you down?

by Anonymousreply 1406/18/2017

R13 The gender neutral option means that you don't have to identify as man or woman: you can change your gender identity from moment to moment. R14, I too wonder how Oregon IDs will work with the TSA theater.

On Monday, I am going to call the governor of Oregon and tell her office that, while I am a "liberal," there is no fucking way I am going to step foot in a state, Oregon, where my, privacy, my safety or even my life, might be in danger because men are allowed to legally access spaces where I am naked and vulnerable.

The lawmaker trying to pass a similar law in California is sniveling nincompoop, California State Senator, Scott Wiener. He's also the lawmaker who is trying (or has already finished) changing the CA law to make it so that it's no longer a felony to hide a positive HIV status from sexual partners.

Once this Crazy becomes normalized, which is kind of has if Oregon is an example, some of the people most at risk will be gay kids, because of this already overwhelming push to trans them or neutralize them with this non-binary bullshit.

So be outraged, but then do something about it.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 1506/18/2017

R14

Unless Homeland Security agrees to go along, It's going to mess up the person's TSA PreCheck status.

by Anonymousreply 1606/18/2017

Lambda Legal dropped Jaime Shupe, the non-binary person mentioned in OP's article.

Instinct:

Lambda Legal Drops First Non-Binary Client

Lambda Legal, an LGBT legal firm, recently dropped the nations first person with legal non-binary status. It is citing “inappropriate media statements that are harming the transgender community...”

Shupe is saying that they felt they were being forced to push Lambda Legal’s agenda by having the firm represent them...

This is not the first time Shupe has been outspoken in their ideas and thoughts. This has not put them into a typical LGBT mold and finds them at odds with the transgender community. They argue that those with gender dysphoria and those wanting to under go HRT and sex reassignment surgery may not be fit to serve in the military. Shupe uses their experience of serving for 18 years in the military and the fact they overcame gender dysphoria as the litmus test for those who they think can serve...

Shupe identifies as feminine/female but not biological female, and was born biological male. This helped win the case for officially identifying as non-binary and has opened the door for more than 250 people in Oregon to have their identity listed as “X”.

While being outspoken on transgender military issues, Shupe is also outspoken on transgender issues in general. They do believe gender dysphoria is real but that HRT and sex reassignment surgery will never change ones biological sex. They are also against children having sexual reassignment surgery.

Shupe says they are only working to speak truth, and that they will continue to do so, even if it puts them at odds with the LGBT community at large.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 1708/15/2017

R17 link : not completely following the party line - drop them says LAMBDA

Good for you, R15! Right on!

by Anonymousreply 1808/15/2017

R2 are you beyond stupid or fucking what?

by Anonymousreply 1908/15/2017

I do like my options!

by Anonymousreply 2008/15/2017

Then change the ID from "gender" to "biological sex" -problem solved. Well, at least in the minds of the sane: The T have already started to claim that biological sex is a "social construct."

Doesn't Lambda have better things to do? Like protect gaylings from parents who want to trans them because they like the color pink?

by Anonymousreply 2108/15/2017

They already made clear they don't care about the kids, R21

by Anonymousreply 2208/15/2017

PS: Which is strange since they are supposed to be a legal organization and these minor children are clearly having some illegal stuff being done to them.

by Anonymousreply 2308/15/2017

Once the 10 or so nutjobs sign up the whole issue will be forgotten. Not a big deal. We also have legalized weed and no sales tax.

by Anonymousreply 2408/15/2017

legalized weed-there you go.

Everyone's grooving.

by Anonymousreply 2508/15/2017

or their brain no longer functions

by Anonymousreply 2608/15/2017
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Don't you just LOVE clicking on these things on every single site you visit? I know we do! You can thank the EU parliament for making everyone in the world click on these pointless things while changing absolutely nothing. If you are interested you can take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT and we'll set a dreaded cookie to make it go away. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!