Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

OFFICIAL "Wonder Woman" reviews thread

raves

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 372February 11, 2018 3:01 AM

Chicago Tribune

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 1May 30, 2017 4:47 AM

Variety is positive too.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 2May 30, 2017 5:18 AM

Oops! Obviously that was the first one posted. Sorry!

by Anonymousreply 3May 30, 2017 5:19 AM

Hollywood Reporter

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 4May 30, 2017 5:19 AM

Entertainment Weekly. "Wonder Woman is the smart, satisfying DC movie you've been waiting for."

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 5May 30, 2017 5:21 AM

USA Today

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 6May 30, 2017 5:23 AM

It is yet another DC/Warner Bros dud. Everything they touch turns to tin. Marvel can shit and it comes out as gold.

by Anonymousreply 7May 30, 2017 5:37 AM

It takes two women-- director, Patty Jenkins and Gil Gadot-- to break the DC/Warner Bros film curse.

by Anonymousreply 8May 30, 2017 6:01 AM

IGN's Joshua Yehl gave it 7.9 out of 10. He says Gadot's acting is a bit uneven but still likes her a lot.

"Wonder Woman is leaps and bounds above the other three entries in the DCEU. With a dramatic setting, a few entertaining action scenes, and a strong supporting cast all working together to tell an inspirational Hero’s Journey, it more than offsets some occasionally uneven acting on Gadot’s part and some shaky technical aspects. The messy third act fight, however, is something that has plagued other superhero movies and is something even Wonder Woman cannot overcome. Overall, Wonder Woman is a win because it successfully tells the story of a woman taking on a war-torn world with the power of love. What’s more heroic than that?"

by Anonymousreply 9May 30, 2017 8:33 AM

Ugggh, why did I read the HR review, they gave away a major plot point.

It sounds like the movie succeeds because the filmmaker didn't reinterpret the character and was able to be genuine about what has made Wonder Woman an enduring character in the comics. Snyder's films failed because he tried to reinterpret everything. Although admittedly Wonder Woman did not have the burden of a dozen cinematic interpretations like Batman/Superman have had so it was not deemed necessary to try to reinterpret the character for her film debut.

by Anonymousreply 10May 30, 2017 9:00 AM

Honestly this is good to hear. I'm happy for all those involved, and I'm a huge Marvel fan. Props to DC, by the way, for beating Marvel to the punch in producing a successful female-driven superhero movie.

by Anonymousreply 11May 30, 2017 9:04 AM

This is better than the Oscar Buzz thread the Bay Watch PR trolls started.

by Anonymousreply 12May 30, 2017 9:38 AM

R12, you're not big on sarcasm, now are you?

by Anonymousreply 13May 30, 2017 10:02 AM

Am I the only one who thinks it's being a bit overpraised, simply because the previous DC films were so incredibly fucking awful?

Compared to those pieces of shit, a Jennifer Aniston romcom or a VinDiesel car chase movie would look like an Oscar winner.

by Anonymousreply 14May 30, 2017 10:09 AM

There was early praise for Batman vs Superman too. Hell, there was praise for Ghostbusters which bombed. Word of mouth got out and fucked those two movies.

I think this sounds like the hype for Suicide Squad to break the curse combined with the propping up of a feminism movie starring and directed by women. And it's probably just mediocre if anything.

I'm sick of superhero films so I'll pass. If it's good I'll rent it someday though. Taking all of these early positive reviews with a grain of salt. Too much is "riding on" this as a female led, big budget CGI slugfest. To the point where some people are acting like women have never starred in action movies, lol. Because those movies went down the memory whole for OO reasons.

by Anonymousreply 15May 30, 2017 10:47 AM

Early BvS praise was from fanboys, not film critics, most of whom panned the film.

by Anonymousreply 16May 30, 2017 10:52 AM

It turned Grace off her feminism hating, which is no small feat.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 17May 30, 2017 11:06 AM

R15 = idiot. The first critics reviews for BVS were bad out of the gate. The first nine reviews posted were 8 rotten to one fresh. We had a thread for the reviews as the score came rolling in.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 18May 30, 2017 11:12 AM

[quote] Am I the only one who thinks it's being a bit overpraised, simply because the previous DC films were so incredibly fucking awful?

Doubtful. The internet is loaded with people ready to make firm declarations on matters they nothing about. I'm sure you've got plenty of company.

by Anonymousreply 19May 30, 2017 11:15 AM

BVS was at 37% with 51 reviews per the above link; WW is at 96% with 44 reviews.

by Anonymousreply 20May 30, 2017 11:16 AM

[quote]Am I the only one who thinks it's being a bit overpraised, simply because the previous DC films were so incredibly fucking awful?

Honestly, no you're not.

That said, as long as the movie treats Diana with respect, I'm going to be happy. Especially if we don't get a hilarious Easter Egg of Donna Troy being murdered.

by Anonymousreply 21May 30, 2017 11:43 AM

Happy to see these great reviews! I'll be seeing it in the theater.

First time I've bothered to do so with this new DCU.

by Anonymousreply 22May 30, 2017 12:02 PM

I'm happy the movie apparently doesn't suck. I don't want DC movies to suck. BvS and Suicide Squad were an embarrassment.

by Anonymousreply 23May 30, 2017 12:11 PM

I always filter the RT score by Top Critics only as I don't much care what the local newspapers have to say about it.

by Anonymousreply 24May 30, 2017 12:19 PM

I honestly had no interest in seeing this film as I'm not an action or comic-book-adaptation fan

::ducks::

But, I didn't realize Patty Jenkins was the director. Monster was a very strong film early in her career. She also directed the fantastic pilot episode of The Killing -- think she won an Emmy for it. Hope it does well and she gets to direct whatever she wants next!

by Anonymousreply 25May 30, 2017 12:27 PM

I wish the costume were more authentic though. The muddy colors arr disappointing. I get that they didn't want the swimsuit and high heels, but the brownish colors of her gear make me think more of Xena than Diana.

by Anonymousreply 26May 30, 2017 1:01 PM

[quote]I wish the costume were more authentic though. The muddy colors arr disappointing. I get that they didn't want the swimsuit and high heels, but the brownish colors of her gear make me think more of Xena than Diana.

I definitely agree with that. But still, it would be nice if a female-led, female-directed movie blew the rest of the grimy-verse out of the water.

by Anonymousreply 27May 30, 2017 1:05 PM

When did Wonder Woman get the sword?

by Anonymousreply 28May 30, 2017 1:10 PM

[quote]When did Wonder Woman get the sword?

Since the New 52 reboot a few years ago.

Which they un-rebooted last year. And wiped the Superman/Wonder Woman relationship from existence, thank Hera.

by Anonymousreply 29May 30, 2017 1:12 PM

I thought early leaks from the set panned the film as another disaster in the making?

by Anonymousreply 30May 30, 2017 1:26 PM

R30 That was just a disgruntled former frau temp who wrote a cunty letter. The movie wasn't even in the editing room at that time.

by Anonymousreply 31May 30, 2017 1:35 PM

Warner Bros is a mess of swirling Byzantine internal fighting and I'm sure there were feuding factions trying to determine the direction of this movie in post.

by Anonymousreply 32May 30, 2017 1:48 PM

R32 Yes that is why their TV shows like Gotham, Flash and Arrow are so damn good and The Marvel shows are veritable snoozefests! Marvel fans think that Civil War was like Citizen Kane right? I was a Marvel fan first and have been astounded by the general shittiness of the Marvel product. Talk about overrated . Not one Marvel film has come close to the classiness and intelligence of the first two Nolan Batman films. Not even close.

by Anonymousreply 33May 30, 2017 2:20 PM

R11 Disney is doing a Ms Marvel film with the Muslim girl or is that Captain Marvel with Carol Danvers?

by Anonymousreply 34May 30, 2017 2:21 PM

[Quote] Yes that is why their TV shows like Gotham, Flash and Arrow are so damn good and The Marvel shows are veritable snoozefests!

I think it's the other way around. But most shows on the cw are terrible. I'll take Jessica Jones over Arrow any day.

by Anonymousreply 35May 30, 2017 2:24 PM

Captain Marvel starring Brie Larson as Carol Danvers.

by Anonymousreply 36May 30, 2017 2:24 PM

I think Larson's casting for Ms. Marvel is a terrible choice.

by Anonymousreply 37May 30, 2017 2:32 PM

Congrats to the filmmakers for making a movie that reviewers enjoy.

Does this movie have any buzz? What are the Fandango pre sales like? Are the fanboys onboard? Or will they stay away to protest the woman-only screenings?

by Anonymousreply 38May 30, 2017 2:53 PM

Can't wait for this.

But I agree that the costume is too dark.

by Anonymousreply 39May 30, 2017 3:16 PM

Irish Times's Donald Clarke who is probably the bitchiest critic working and not named Rex Reed, gave the film a generally positive review but wrote this about its star:

Gadot is not the world’s greatest actor: her round face and bold facial expressions suggest an only slightly animated emoji.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 40May 30, 2017 5:18 PM

So before all the DC fanboys used to complain that Disney "bought off" the critics or that critics were overly mean to DC films.

Look, critics were very positive. Maybe they should admit that there is only one reason, the reviews for the other films were bad....because they were terrible movies!

Happy for WW. I wish that gave me more confidence for Justice League, but Justice League is still Snyder.

by Anonymousreply 41May 30, 2017 5:21 PM

Can't wait to see it!

by Anonymousreply 42May 30, 2017 5:35 PM

This will easily make 100 mil the first weekend.

by Anonymousreply 43May 30, 2017 5:40 PM

The World War I setting is interesting and a nice change of pace, I'm glad they went with that instead of World War II.

by Anonymousreply 44May 30, 2017 6:25 PM

I don't understand why they switched European German-provoked world wars. If anything the world needed Diana even more during WWII.

by Anonymousreply 45May 30, 2017 6:29 PM

Maybe they did it because the first Captain America movie was set in WW II and did a fantastic job with it, so they didn't want to do a re-tread and invite comparisons.

by Anonymousreply 46May 30, 2017 6:30 PM

$60 million weekend with a big drop the following week.

D.C and Ww aren't major draws. Gal and Chris Pine have no followers. Good reviews alone won't make this a blockbuster.

by Anonymousreply 47May 30, 2017 6:31 PM

R45 Because WWII is overdone in movies like no other period in history. I just couldn't with Diana battling Nazis like Captain America had already done in his origin story. So over that.

by Anonymousreply 48May 30, 2017 6:40 PM

World War I was horrific. From the soldier's perspective world war 1 was far worse than world war 2. It was also the first great war. The level of sustained casualties during the war were completely unlike anything that had ever been seen in human history. It makes complete sense this would be the event leads to Diana going forth.

by Anonymousreply 49May 30, 2017 6:43 PM

Agree with r48 and r49; also, as I focused on WWI in getting my history degree, the fact that it is the setting of a major Hollywood blockbuster gives me hope that young people will be inspired to learn more about it.

by Anonymousreply 50May 30, 2017 7:18 PM

Currently at 97%, Wonder Woman is the highest rated DC or Marvel movie ever at Rotten Tomatoes:

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 51May 30, 2017 9:19 PM

Suck it, haters!!!!

by Anonymousreply 52May 30, 2017 9:29 PM

I hadn't realized that Allan Heinberg wrote the screenplay.

This could either be a good thing or a bad thing. Heinberg was the writer of the awful David E Kelly pilot with Adrianne Palicki, but he also wrote an arc of the the WW comic that was a total love letter to Miss Lynda Carter. He even had Diana do the beloved spin that every single person on this thread did at least once to try and turn into Wonder Woman.

Which I guess speaks well of them using Dr. Poison as the secondary villain. He liked her rogues gallery.

by Anonymousreply 53May 30, 2017 10:10 PM

This reminds me of The Jungle Book rollout which also shocked with a very high Rotten Tomatoes score... it was tracking for a 65-75 million opening like Wonder Woman, but boosted by the Rotten Tomatoes it opened over $100 million.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 54May 30, 2017 10:25 PM

Gil Gadot >> Miss Israel 2004

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 55May 30, 2017 10:32 PM

Lebanon has banned Wonder Woman because Gadot is Israeli.

by Anonymousreply 56May 30, 2017 10:39 PM

I have loved Wonder Wmman since I was a kid, loved the Linda Carter version even though she was more of a diplomat that kick ass fighter. Gal Gadot is very wooden, her acting is terrible. I was annoyed when they weren't putting her in the traditional out fit, the director basically said her out (with the stars) wouldn't work.....guess they missed Chris Evans as "Captain America". They wanted a "Greek" look but Greeks do also come fair skinned, red headed and yes even blonde. She makes Cathy Lee Crosby, with her Nordic looks seem like a better Wonder Woman choice. YES Cathy Lee Crosby did play Wonder Women in a tv movie that launched the TV show which they got an accurate looking Wonder Woman.

by Anonymousreply 57May 30, 2017 10:42 PM

R57 sigh my emotions get the better of me....sorry for my mispellings YET AGAIN and my bad grammar.

by Anonymousreply 58May 30, 2017 10:44 PM

The sword comes from Hippolyta when she became Wonder Woman in 1997 after Diana was temporarily dead (she became a goddess of Truth and then back to human by the end of Summer 1998).

Hippolyta went back in time and joined the Justice Society of America and was part of that book's cast when it premiered in 1999.

However, certain queens felt that Hippolyta running around in the JSA all kick-ass was somehow undermining Diana's "uniqueness" as Wonder Woman and Hippolyta was killed off in 2001.

Hippolyta was resurrected in 2007 but DC has avoided any connection with her previous history as Wonder Woman since then.

Diana, though, then became a Hippolyta-like Wonder Woman with the New 52. But Hippolyta was FIRST with the sword and the kick-ass attitude.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 59May 30, 2017 10:45 PM

[quote]YES Cathy Lee Crosby did play Wonder Women in a tv movie that launched the TV show which they got an accurate looking Wonder Woman.

The Cathy Lee Crosby movie had fuck-all to do with Miss Lynda Carter's series, beyond her completely unsubstantiated claim that she had turned down the role. They were both produced for ABC, but ABC also knew using the then-current Diana-as-Emma-Peel approach was a mistake.

Hence why Miss Lynda Carter was billed as "The New Original Wonder Woman."

by Anonymousreply 60May 30, 2017 10:47 PM

Wonder Woman is more than a day-glo costume, R57.

The trailers are exciting and VERY "Wonder Woman" to me, and I learned how to READ because of my mother's Wonder Woman comic books from the 1940s & 1950s when I was 4 in 1969.

I have all WW comics and action figures and books and coloring books and DVDs... and Gal's costume works for me as does Gal.

(I did make a Cathy Lee Crosby Wonder Woman out of my sister's Barbie in 1974; I had my Grandmother sew the costume for me!)

by Anonymousreply 61May 30, 2017 10:51 PM

For those saying the WWI setting is better....then you missed the point of Wonder Woman entirely including her fight against the axis of evil. WWII is where you openly saw women getting drawn in as they had to go to factories and do the work "of men" because the men were being sent off into war. Any job that was "man's work" was no women's work. Wonder Woman stood for something when she was created. Only after "The seduction of the innocent" a book analyzing the evils of comic book characters (Batman was somehow a homosexual to the author) and Wonder Woman was a lesbian. Then you saw her go from a champion and saviour to humanity to being demoted from a saviour, chasing men, and even to being nothing more than secretary for JLA. Chris Pine chews up the scenery, great actor. I found Gal Gadot's acting to be very bad. She doesn't emote with her eyes or face.

by Anonymousreply 62May 30, 2017 10:57 PM

*now not no

by Anonymousreply 63May 30, 2017 10:58 PM

Jenkins used Donner's Superman as inspiration. This should have been the "No, duh" move from the very beginning. WB may actually listen now.

by Anonymousreply 64May 30, 2017 11:01 PM

[quote]Batman was somehow a homosexual to the author

Batman is somehow a homosexual to just about everybody.

by Anonymousreply 65May 30, 2017 11:09 PM

I posted this before, but WWII has been done to death, and the first Captain America did such an amazing job with the WWII setting, they didn't want to do another story set in that era. WWI is a nice change of pace.

by Anonymousreply 66May 30, 2017 11:10 PM

This is the first superhero movie I've been interested in seeing in a long time.

by Anonymousreply 67May 30, 2017 11:15 PM

The costume design is Oscar-worthy. Hopefully there will be a nomination.

by Anonymousreply 68May 30, 2017 11:16 PM

They set in WW1 because the first Captain America movie was in WW2, and they already had unalterable comparisons to Thor with the Nordic/Greek God backgrounds.

by Anonymousreply 69May 30, 2017 11:17 PM

"Seduction Of The Innocent" was published in 1954, LONG after World War II and LONG after Wonder Woman had become an active member of the Justice Society. She was also the only Justice Society member to KEEP her own solo series.

In 1986, Diana's origin was changed so much to where she did not see the now-decades older Steve Trevor as a love interest, but like a much older brother. The 1941 Diana was clearly instantly in love with Steve from the moment she met him. She was never a Lesbian, which made no sense in the SOTI claims. Wertham was just making up shit.

NOW, however, Diana is a bisexual and ALL of the other females in the new Wonder Woman comic are now Lesbian, which they were not shown as in previous incarnations. Rucka writes all women as Lesbians anyway. He's fixated.

by Anonymousreply 70May 30, 2017 11:21 PM

I've personally been hugged by Lynda Carter. Top that, btiches!

by Anonymousreply 71May 30, 2017 11:23 PM

Is this the modern day camp fest that gays have been waiting for? Will drag queens host midnight screenings for years to come?

by Anonymousreply 72May 30, 2017 11:47 PM

R62, women in the workplace also happened in WWI, more so in Europe than in the United States. It was partly a result of their contribution to the war effort that they gained the right to vote after the war.

by Anonymousreply 73May 30, 2017 11:58 PM

[quote]For those saying the WWI setting is better....then you missed the point of Wonder Woman entirely including her fight against the axis of evil. WWII is where you openly saw women getting drawn in as they had to go to factories and do the work "of men" because the men were being sent off into war. Any job that was "man's work" was no women's work.

It is amazing how little people know about WW1. The same thing happened during WW1. Not so much in America since we didn't even join the war til the end, but in Britain for instance the great war changed the role of women forever as they entered the work force by the millions while the men were away at war.

Honestly outside of the Captain America comparison, World War 1 really makes the most sense. At the time it wasn't world war "one", it was the Great War. The type of war the world had never seen.

by Anonymousreply 74May 31, 2017 12:27 AM

World War I has been so overshadowed by World War II, people aren't as familiar with it, and you rarely see movies or tv shows set in that time period. I think it's smart that WW is going to be set in WW I. It's something different.

by Anonymousreply 75May 31, 2017 1:00 AM

Yeah there are two big things at play with WWII. One is the Hitlers/The Nazis/the Holocaust is such horrible and iconic imagery. And two because the United States played a bigger role in WWII as compared to its fairly small role in WWI, so Hollywood hasn't covered it as much which helps familiarize things with pop culture.

by Anonymousreply 76May 31, 2017 1:15 AM

God, R18, get a life. Haha. You have way too much invested in superhero movies. Whack job.

by Anonymousreply 77May 31, 2017 1:28 AM

Smells like shilling round here, though.

by Anonymousreply 78May 31, 2017 1:37 AM

Just saw this on Reddit:

[quote]Lebanon wants to ban ‘Wonder Woman’ because of its Israeli star

[quote]Push to boycott film reportedly prodded by BDS group, which cites ex-IDF soldier Gal Gadot’s expressions of solidarity with Israeli soldiers fighting Hamas in Gaza

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 79May 31, 2017 2:01 AM

Why was this no name Israeli cast? Did no American actresses want the role?

by Anonymousreply 80May 31, 2017 2:39 AM

[quote]Did no American actresses want the role?

Like the american Superman? Or the american Spider-man?

Hollywood doesn't want Americans.

by Anonymousreply 81May 31, 2017 2:44 AM

Who said a $60 million opening? More like closer to $90-$100 mil and I bet it does great internationally.

Much will depend on word of mouth even after all the great reviews to keep 2nd week drop-off on the lower end. This could easily go on to gross $500 mil+ overall when all is said and done.

by Anonymousreply 82May 31, 2017 2:52 AM

I just can't even be bothered to bring myself to care about another fucking comic book movie, no matter how "good" it supposedly is.

by Anonymousreply 83May 31, 2017 3:04 AM

I love that we have an unhinged Wonder Woman nut here, off meds and having a manic episode presumably.

by Anonymousreply 84May 31, 2017 3:13 AM

[quote] I just can't even be bothered to bring myself to care about another fucking comic book movie, no matter how "good" it supposedly is.

You've stated that repeatedly on every DC/WB thread, yet your ass just keeps popping up!

by Anonymousreply 85May 31, 2017 3:25 AM

[quote]God, [R18], get a life. Haha. You have way too much invested in superhero movies. Whack job. —R15

Oh look, R15's lies are exposed and he starts calling others whack jobs.

by Anonymousreply 86May 31, 2017 6:21 AM

[quote]This will easily make 100 mil the first weekend.

Warners is expecting a $65 to $75 million domestic and a $175M global opening. Other tracking services are expecting $90M plus if the RT score doesn't go down considerably.

by Anonymousreply 87May 31, 2017 6:55 AM

NY Times Critic's Pick

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 88May 31, 2017 5:07 PM

It's also now cerified fresh on Rotten Tomatoes

by Anonymousreply 89May 31, 2017 5:08 PM

I hope it does well for obvious reasons but also because it is the least Zack Synder-ish of the WB/DC films, so far. They need to get the fuck away from his shit vision/opinions/aesthetic. Let him move onto depressing his fans with prison rape and ugly tattoos in films with characters He's written from scratch.

by Anonymousreply 90May 31, 2017 5:11 PM

This will make Chris Pine a major star.

by Anonymousreply 91May 31, 2017 5:16 PM

Even sexist, homophobic reactionary douche Kyle Smith liked it.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 92May 31, 2017 9:34 PM

Geoff Johns also had a big hand in this movie, so congratulations to him as well!

by Anonymousreply 93May 31, 2017 9:58 PM

Love Geoff Johns, R93!

by Anonymousreply 94May 31, 2017 10:02 PM

Roger Ebert's review is very thorough and VERY positive!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 95June 1, 2017 6:05 PM

R95 Well, it's Angelica Jade Bastien's review on the RogerEbert website, to be precise.

The RT score keeps slipping as more reviews come in. Will probably fall below 90% which [italic]would[/italic] be more representative of the critics' opinions, as the average rating is 7.5.

by Anonymousreply 96June 1, 2017 6:14 PM

Thanks, Marvel/Disney shill!

by Anonymousreply 97June 1, 2017 6:16 PM

R97 has been triggered by a clear and rational observation.

I was among those who've been posting (positive) reviews on this thread but sure, I'm a Marvel shill. Let's go with that.

by Anonymousreply 98June 1, 2017 6:22 PM

[quote]Roger Ebert's review is very thorough and VERY positive!

This movie is so good, Roger Ebert came back from the dead to watch it!

by Anonymousreply 99June 1, 2017 9:48 PM

What The Flick review (a bit spoilerish)

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 100June 1, 2017 11:10 PM

$11M Thursday, comporable to first Guardians of the Galaxy

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 101June 2, 2017 2:55 PM

Saw it last night. Perfection.

by Anonymousreply 102June 2, 2017 3:13 PM

I just came back. It's wonderful. Even though it treads familiar ground because of so many superhero origin stories in the past decade, Gal Gadot and Chris Pine make it magnificent. Pine is the best I've ever seen him, Gadot is perfectly cast; you can tell she's a limited actor but it works to her advantage because of who her character is, analogous to maybe Sean Young in Blade Runner or Kelly McGillis in Witness (both opposite Harrison Ford, because Pine is as good as Ford in his peak). And I love Patti Jenkin's touch, she keeps the camera on an intimate scene longer than many other directors would, so that its most memorable scenes are Steve and Diana talking on a boat, or talking while he teaches her how to dance.

by Anonymousreply 103June 2, 2017 7:47 PM

R35 Jessica Jones is the worst snoozefest in the history of comics TV. It was bad,bad,bad and extremely sleep inducing. It should be subtitled with Visual Nyquil under the title.

by Anonymousreply 104June 2, 2017 7:49 PM

God this new wonder woman is hot as fuck.

by Anonymousreply 105June 2, 2017 8:10 PM

I'm glad to hear people on this board enjoyed it. I can't wait to see it.

by Anonymousreply 106June 2, 2017 9:09 PM

Estimate now is $94 million:

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 107June 2, 2017 9:16 PM

I saw Wonder Woman last night in an incredibly full theatre. I loved it. I have loved some of the Marvel comic book adaptations, and my instant love for this one makes me realize that what I am searching for and hoping for is a movie that takes me back to my juvenile excitement and goosebumpy kind of thrill that comic books could engender in me when movies like this were not even technologically possible. I am so happy to have experienced that with Wonder Woman. And It is great that the critical reaction is as positive as it is. Of course I experienced those goosebumps with the first Fantastic Four movie, minus the critical acclaim to back up those goosebumps and chills. It is wonderful to not feel quite so alone in my enjoyment of a movie that takes me back to those halcyon days.

by Anonymousreply 108June 2, 2017 10:07 PM

It's true, the DC cinema universe has finally delivered a movie that works. Which isn't to say this movie is perfect, some of the praise is overblown, but it succeeds in the important ways. Miles better than "Man Of Steel", "Batman vs Superman" and "Suicide Squad"

The movie actually has a heart! It has characters that feel like real people, and it makes you root for them. Gal Gadot works very well in the role, which is not to say she is some fantastic actress but she is likable, makes you care about Diana and brings her to life as she should be. Reminds me of what Chris Evans was able to do to make Captain America popular.

I was impressed with the writing for character. They do the fish out of water well without having her be overly naive, it strikes the right chord.

Chris Pine is fantastic here and really holds this together. Though it made me think that while this is great to finally see a female superhero, they still basically had a male co-lead, he plays a huge role.

Will be very interesting to see how Patty Jenkins handles sequels. This is very much a movie of the past, so they will still have to sort of start from scratch establishing a Wonder Woman stories and supporting cast for the present day.

by Anonymousreply 109June 2, 2017 11:42 PM

I saw an interview with Patty Jenkins and she said they don't know if Wonder Woman 2 will be set in the modern day, or at some point in the last 100 years.

by Anonymousreply 110June 2, 2017 11:47 PM

Also one thing I thought was amusing the words "Wonder Woman" are never actually said. She is just called Diana.

by Anonymousreply 111June 2, 2017 11:49 PM

So no one said something like, "I wonder about that woman?"

by Anonymousreply 112June 3, 2017 12:10 AM

R112 Isn't she just...

by Anonymousreply 113June 3, 2017 12:17 AM

They wisely avoided anything like that. There is even this one part about not going into "No Man's Land" and I was waiting some line of "But I am no man!", and it thankfully never came.

There is also a great line of a naked Chris Pine explaining to Diana he is "above average". Given the DL gossip that Chris Pine is well hung I laughed, that line might have come naturally to him.

One minor thing that I really want to complain about

SPOILERS!!!!!!!!

I thought Ares just took the form of this unassuming british guy, but then we flash back and Ares has always looked some British guy complete with that same mustache. It was pretty ridiculous.

by Anonymousreply 114June 3, 2017 12:34 AM

The BDS activists are pissed

by Anonymousreply 115June 3, 2017 12:36 AM

I loved it, mostly. Finally a GOOD superhero movie. I wish they hadn't killed off the two people they killed off, though. (Not Ares, but the Other Two)

by Anonymousreply 116June 3, 2017 12:37 AM

Steve Trevor is going to trigger so many sexual awakenings

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 117June 3, 2017 12:51 AM

Armond White disliked it.

"Sorry, fanboys and fangirls, Wonder Woman needs to cohere with the way Snyder used comic-book fantasy to simultaneously elevate and deepen the complicated human drives of DC Comics characters. Unfortunately, Diana’s “god-killer” question lacks resonance and exposes contemporary faithlessness — unlike Snyder’s visionary films, derived from folkloric belief and Christian notions of sacrifice and redemption (which occasionally made Sucker Punch awesome, stirring pop art). Snyder’s mature perspective is traded for women-warrior scenes in Themyscira that replace 300-style sensual intensity with the near-camp of butt-kicking female toughness. Connie Nielsen as Diana’s mother Hippolyta and Robin Wright as her soldier-aunt Antiope split the difference between conveying maternalism and bravura as recompense for a society that lives sexlessly without men (not an issue in comic books but mandatory in cinema). Snyder’s revolutionary approach to pop art lay in using eroticism to display the force of his characters’ wills; it’s what makes his movies 'adult.'"

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 118June 3, 2017 12:52 AM

I'm shocked, shocked to discover that Armond White hated a movie that nearly everyone else is raving about!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 119June 3, 2017 1:02 AM

I always wonder if Armond White wasn't the basis for Kimmy Schmidt's Corolianus Burt.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 120June 3, 2017 1:06 AM

Saw it this afternoon with my niece. Warner Bros/DCEU finally got it right this time! Good script, well acted, and beautiful imagery. Chris Pine is great too. I'm holding out hope for JL now.

by Anonymousreply 121June 3, 2017 1:48 AM

the people in question who were still alive are very glad that she is a wonder of a woman. I would be , too.

by Anonymousreply 122June 3, 2017 2:19 AM

Wow R118. He is going to catch a lot of shit for that review. I've seen it, and it is by no means a perfect movie, but it is still pretty damn good. These really say a lot to me:

Could Jenkins, director of Monster (2004), about psychotic serial killer Aileen Wuornos — one of the most repugnant and perversely “feminist” movies ever?

unlike Snyder’s visionary films

Are you kidding me with these statements?

He states that WW rips off Jonah Hex?

Ugh.

He does bring up a few points. I've seen the movie, and while it is good, it isn't the second coming. I wonder if some reviewers are over praising because of - 1. Almost all pervious DC movies have sucked and this one is pretty good, and 2- don't want to trash a movie that has a pretty aggressive feminist agenda (which I personally thing works and is long overdue for a comic book movie. Remember Buffy?).

The 3rd act reeks of being tacked on by studio execs (though it isn't bad, it just ... doesn't seem like a great fit).

Still - anyone who says Zach Synder has "vision" ... I didn't hate B vs S as much as most, but "visionary"? The man has lost his mind.

by Anonymousreply 123June 3, 2017 2:35 AM

I enjoyed the movie. If I'm going to be honest, I loved the first third. I enjoyed the second third. The final act was mediocre. Ultimately, the film succeeds because of its character work. It's hard to make the final act soar with Diana battling a character who has no resonance because he is tissue thin.

by Anonymousreply 124June 3, 2017 3:06 AM

[quote]Wow [R118]. He is going to catch a lot of shit for that review

Lol, that is just what Armond White does. He will praise shit like Transformers 2, and diss every well reviewed movie. It is a great way to guarantee web traffic. No reason to pay it any attention (though I should be careful, he is family and does post here)

by Anonymousreply 125June 3, 2017 3:28 AM

I also just saw it. The best DC related movies since 'The Dark Knight!' It's so much better than MoS, BvS, or the cinematic abortion of SS, that it's almost comical. I just spent two hours watching good people do good things for good reasons, and it was exhilarating! The only shadow over this production is: has the DCEU turned a corner, or is this a (very) happy accident? All praise is due to Patty Jenkins, but was she allowed to succeed because Geoff Johns can now call the shots? Has Zack Snyder's cynical nihilism finally been given the heave-ho? I got the feeling I get watching the best Marvel movies: this was made by people who know the characters, like the characters, and seek to honestly adapt them.

Hearing Jenkins was inspired by Donner's 'Superman' made perfect sense. The moment Diana goes over the trenches into battle felt exactly like Superman's rescue of the helicopter, with the same audience enthusiasm when we see it coming.

The third-act complaints are pretty valid, but I found the sacrifices characters made to be genuinely moving and the emotions genuinely earned. Compare and contrast to BvS's absurd 'Martha' moment to see the difference between a director who understands human emotion and one who doesn't.

And Armond White? Bah! I stopped reading him ten or fifteen years ago. The man has nothing to say that I need to hear. It's telling that, in his rush to be contrarian, he so often gets details wrong. The Amazons aren't 'sexless.' Diana clearly states that ancient researchers decided men were necessary for procreation, but completely unneeded for 'pleasure.' The implications were pretty clear.

Anyone who's wavering should go see it. I'm going again with another friend.

by Anonymousreply 126June 3, 2017 6:57 AM

I was going to see it, but ironically all the supposedly positive reviews are turning me off. There's something very fake about the whole business, besides that the lead chick was one of the worst actors I've ever seen in the fast and furious movies. Plus 3 hours? I'll just stream it online.

by Anonymousreply 127June 3, 2017 7:20 AM

Deadline now projecting $98 opening with A Cinemascore! C'mon $100!

by Anonymousreply 128June 3, 2017 10:52 AM

The running time is two hours and 21 minutes.

by Anonymousreply 129June 3, 2017 11:09 AM

The RT score isn't falling like I predicted in R96. Some more reviews will trickle in this month, but the score's pretty much set right now.

I hate the fact that they included the professional troll Armond White's score as well. What a complete joke he is. And what's with the Singapore Times being included? Why stop there and not just translate all European reviews, too?

The third act being generic comic movie fare is probably responsible for the majority of bad reviews. Missed opportunity to subvert that in some interesting way. Movie execs meddling for sure.

by Anonymousreply 130June 3, 2017 11:33 AM

Wonder Woman scores a 38.5 mil opening day in America.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 131June 3, 2017 4:06 PM

Do you think it will get nominated for Best Picture at the Oscars? I think women in Hollywood will get behind it.

by Anonymousreply 132June 3, 2017 4:14 PM

Lol r132. No. I enjoyed the move but don't be ridiculous, it wasn't THAT good.

by Anonymousreply 133June 3, 2017 4:20 PM

I would add if any superhero movie was going to get nominated from this year "Logan" was more deserving, though it still won't.

by Anonymousreply 134June 3, 2017 4:21 PM

The movie was good, but multiple SJW friends told me I betrayed Palestine by watching it.

by Anonymousreply 135June 3, 2017 4:30 PM

It's such a great film. It's hard to believe that Zack Snyder had anything to do with it at all since everything he's involved with is utter shite.

by Anonymousreply 136June 3, 2017 5:53 PM

The amount of heart in the film is very un-Snyder like, I don't think he had a heavy hand in it, and it shows.

Unfortunately Justice League is still going to be his baby.

by Anonymousreply 137June 3, 2017 5:54 PM

Fingers crossed that Joss Whedon can cobble something decent out of whatever footage they've filmed.

by Anonymousreply 138June 3, 2017 5:57 PM

I don't want any spoilers, but does the movie end in 1918 or end in the modern day?

by Anonymousreply 139June 3, 2017 6:00 PM

The movie begins with a short establishing modern day scene, the actual plot of the movie is a flashback, and then flashback over it ends in modern day.

Though the amount of time in the modern day is easily less than 5 minutes.

by Anonymousreply 140June 3, 2017 6:04 PM

Thanks, r140. I'm going to see it on Monday night with a couple friends and can't wait. The reviews were much better than I thought they would be.

by Anonymousreply 141June 3, 2017 6:06 PM

I am guessing the third act, like so many of these movies, gets bogged down in CGI action.

by Anonymousreply 142June 3, 2017 6:44 PM

r132, unless it were to become a MONSTER hit, I seriously doubt a Best Picture nomination; but maybe noms for Costume Design, Art Direction/Set Decoration, Visual Effects, Sound, etc.

by Anonymousreply 143June 3, 2017 7:54 PM

r59

this explains everything about the sword and shield...

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 144June 3, 2017 7:57 PM

There will be a big push in Hollywood to nominate both Wonder Woman and Beauty & The Beast since they're both female led blockbusters.

If Hollywood is serious about making the industry better for women, then they have to honor movies for women.

by Anonymousreply 145June 3, 2017 8:09 PM

R145 = idiot

There are several awards batey movies directed by women coming out, including Kathryn Bigelow's Detroit, Sophia Coppola's The Beguiled, and Lynne Ramsey's You Were Never Really Here, the latter two of which both took home awards at Cannes.

by Anonymousreply 146June 3, 2017 8:47 PM

Saw it last night with a bunch of friends in a packed cinema here in Oz - all of us really enjoyed/loved it - very happy!

I'm in eldergay territory - mid-fifties - and had such fond childhood memories of the Lynda Carter series - have wondered how they'd approach a big screen version - and followed the many attempts over the years that came to nothing...

Hate most superhero flicks as they seem to be all explosions and aimed at teenage boys. Zero interest in any of the characters - all just style over substance (with the exception of the snarky and funny Deadpool - loved that!)

Anyway - this was great! Gadot comes across as an innocent abroad and has the appeal and likability of Carter - and makes it work.

Think this could be a hit - for all the non-teenage boy/man-baby audience out there - it actually has some heart and offers a satisfying plot/chatacters/romance etc.

I wasnt a fan of Titanic - thought it was sentimental drivel - but I was in the minority - and it made so much money from lots of (mainly young female) fans going back to see it multiple times - I think this will be the case here.

The showed a trailer for the upcoming Justice League film before it came on. It looked like the usual hodge-podge of douchebro superheroes swaggering about between one explosion after another. Just like very other trailer for films in the genre - the only difference was that Gadot as WW was also there - and having seen her Wonder Woman, I might just pony up the price of admission to see her again. Suspect I'm not the only one...

Interestingly - a female friend went to see WW the night before I did in another city here - she's fifty - and was with a bunch of (straight) science fiction/gamer/comic loving male friends she's known since university days - they're all mid fifties. She really thought the film kicked into high gear in the second half after the origin story had moved on to WW strutting her stuff and kicking male arse. She loved that! The boys apparently preferred he origin stuff and felt it degenerated into 'just another superhero film' in the second half. Anyone else get this?

Also wondering: will it do well in German speaking market? (Germany & Austria) - the whole anti-German WW1 narrative and demonising of the real-life German general - curious how that will go down...?

by Anonymousreply 147June 3, 2017 9:35 PM

I think it will do fine in Germany R147. I studied German for years with under some native speakers, and have been their twice. They know they fucked up (twice) and their are some very specific laws on the books now to try to prevent a 3rd one.

That said - when I saw the movie there was a trailer for Dunkirk and it looks good. I'm sure the Germans are a bit tired of being cinema's go to boogeymen, but ... they will get over it.

by Anonymousreply 148June 3, 2017 9:42 PM

Hey R148 - 147 here again - yeah, they played the Dunkirk trailer during our WW screening here too - looked like it was going to be brutal and distressing - as was the real thing! - but a history buff here and will definitely go and see.

The last Dunkirk big screen outing was in the late fifties/early sixties out of memory - and it was a flop. Article I read about it said it was too cynical and timing was wrong -curious to see how this does! Lots of WW2/forties films right now - the Churchill biopic, the Viceroy's House one about the partitioning of India when the British left post WW2 - and Dunkirk. Think it was a wise move to have Wonder Woman set in an earlier conflict...

That said - would love another WW film focused on her adventures between then and the current day - with maybe a return to Paradise Island in there somewhere? Much rather a film focused on her character than an ensemble effort with the other DC douchebags!

by Anonymousreply 149June 3, 2017 10:00 PM

$101.4 million!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 150June 4, 2017 10:36 AM

I'd like to know if WW went back to her island at the end of WWI or stayed in the outside world for the past 100 years. That's still ambiguous. And if she did stay in the outside world, what was she doing during WWII?

by Anonymousreply 151June 4, 2017 2:02 PM

Dear 151, You'll find out in the sequel.

by Anonymousreply 152June 4, 2017 2:04 PM

That's what I'm hoping, r152.

If WW has been in the outside world for 100 years, she obviously kept a VERY low profile, because in Batman v. Superman nobody knew who the hell she was.

by Anonymousreply 153June 4, 2017 2:09 PM

In Batman VS Superman, Diana told Bruce at the end that she left Man's World for 100 years, implying that she was back home from 1918 to 2016.

But the director says that sequels might explore different eras. So, maybe Diana was fibbing to Bruce.

by Anonymousreply 154June 4, 2017 2:11 PM

Lmfao

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 155June 4, 2017 2:38 PM

r152

They already announced that the sequel will take place in the present

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 156June 4, 2017 3:56 PM

I admire Patty Jenkins's hair.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 157June 4, 2017 3:58 PM

From Facebook this morning:

"Israeli soldiers shot a 16 year old Palestinian girl and cursed at her and told her to die as she was lying there. Shit like this happens every fucking day in Palestine. Gal Gadot was an Israeli soldier. Yes, she was conscripted. But plenty of Israeli soldiers have spoken out against the atrocities of the IDF. There are plenty of conscientious objectors. Gal Gadot is a monster who PRAISED what is happening there. But she's sexy and strong and fulfills your childhood fantasy. You know what a Palestinian child's fantasy is? To have enough water. To learn about Palestinians in school. For their dad to not have to leave at 3 am and get home after dark because the checkpoints hold him up for hours. To be able to visit cousins in the next town over without being dehumanized at a checkpoint. To be able to PLAY ON A BEACH without being murdered by IDF soldiers. To be able to travel and come back home freely. To live without the fear that IDF soldiers like Gal Gadot will break into their house and take them to prison in the night and hold them, yes CHILDREN, for months without trial. Fuck you and your red white and blue feminism. I see you. I'm Palestinian. And Palestinians never forget."

by Anonymousreply 158June 4, 2017 4:18 PM

I liked it a lot. Some major plot points felt rushed and too little time was spent with WW kicking ass against soldiers and too much time on the CGI monster at the end. That scene with her taking on machine gun fire so the Allies could advance was superb. I also fucking HATE that they are tied to the Batman/Superman storyline, because that means they won't have sequels with WW and Steve Trevor in WWII or anything before modern day. Unless they do something with another invasion of her homeland, which has potential, but Warner is best at fucking up any good thing, so we'll not likely see it.

by Anonymousreply 159June 4, 2017 5:34 PM

So having some heart, color, heroism, and optimism in a superhero movie works? Steve Trevor isn't raped in prison; Diana isn't mopey and conflicted about doing good in the world? Who woulda thunk?

by Anonymousreply 160June 4, 2017 5:51 PM

Ummm, r159, are you sure you saw the movie? Based on the ending, I'm pretty sure you're not going to see Diana and Steve adventures in WWII anyway.

by Anonymousreply 161June 4, 2017 6:47 PM

Yes, I did R161. And I have no doubt that what happened to Steve was done BECAUSE they are wedded to the BvS storyline. What's the point

SPOILERS

of keeping him alive since we're not going to see him again anyway?

Duh.

by Anonymousreply 162June 4, 2017 6:50 PM

The sequel hasn't been greenlit yet

by Anonymousreply 163June 4, 2017 6:58 PM

Is this streaming online anywhere yet?

by Anonymousreply 164June 4, 2017 6:59 PM

I liked it and I normally don't like superhero movies. Took my niece to see it (I'm a wonderful uncle) and she adored it. Wants to see it again. I thought Gal Gadot was more believable doing all the fighting than any Batman or Superman ever has been. Robin Wright was surprisingly good at playing an action heroine.

by Anonymousreply 165June 4, 2017 7:01 PM

Is Chris any good in it?

by Anonymousreply 166June 4, 2017 7:01 PM

I thought the actors were all really good. Gal Gadot seems to have a limited range, but she did well in the part. Lots of great supporting roles, which is the mark of an action director who knows what she's doing--it can't be all about the superhero.

by Anonymousreply 167June 4, 2017 7:05 PM

Pine was good. I've always thought he was the most untalented of all the Chrises but he shows a deft comic touch in this.

by Anonymousreply 168June 4, 2017 7:06 PM

I thought Lucy Davis as Etta Candy was just wonderful. It's too bad we won't see her if the next movie is set in the present day, for obvious reasons.

by Anonymousreply 169June 4, 2017 7:08 PM

R164 Nope.

by Anonymousreply 170June 4, 2017 7:17 PM

Sorry, r162, you're assuming that they killed Pine because the next solo Wonder Woman has to be set in the present due to Justice League? I doubt thats the case. I think it's more likely due to the fact that the producers don't intend to return to that particular era. Even by World War 2, Trevor would be in his 60's. Do we want to see Diana masking on Pine in really old age makeup?

by Anonymousreply 171June 4, 2017 7:22 PM

R171, they killed off Trevor because they won't be giving us any more storylines with him, at all, in any setting. Because they are wedded to the BvS storyline. WW gets the shaft because Warner doesn't know what the fuck they are doing.

Imagine the very first standalone Superman film killing off Lois Lane because who cares we're going to fast forward 100 years to the Justice League anyway. Would never happen, but if it did plenty of fans would be pissed.

by Anonymousreply 172June 4, 2017 7:32 PM

[quote]too little time was spent with WW kicking ass against soldiers and too much time on the CGI monster at the end

There are no real stakes of Wonder Woman fighting world war 1 soldiers, you need a "real villain", but of course Ares was a paper thin character just shoe-horned into the end

[quote]they killed off Trevor because they won't be giving us any more storylines with him, at all, in any setting. Because they are wedded to the BvS storyline. WW gets the shaft because Warner doesn't know what the fuck they are doing.

You honestly think the game plan was to have a million flash back movies set in the past? It makes complete sense they need to have current stories set in modern day. Not stories where we already know everything will be fine and there are no real stakes.

by Anonymousreply 173June 4, 2017 7:38 PM

So glad this did well. May take in $700 mil+ by end of its run. Love Patty Jenkins, she is so deserving of this.

by Anonymousreply 174June 4, 2017 7:41 PM

Saw it last night....loved it.

by Anonymousreply 175June 4, 2017 7:43 PM

The game plan should have been for WW to have her own set of stories, and make sure they have as much flexibility to do it going forward. They now have to make her "disappear" for 100 years and resurface to form the JL. That leaves little room for much in the way of standalone WW movies and that sucks.

by Anonymousreply 176June 4, 2017 7:43 PM

I don't know why Chris Pine signed a multi-picture deal. Given what happened at the end of this movie, it makes no sense. Unless he's going to be playing another character entirely, I guess.

I agree with the above posters about WW being shoe-horned into the Batman vs. Superman/Justice League garbage. She should have her own stand-alone series of movies.

by Anonymousreply 177June 4, 2017 7:52 PM

Maybe they bring him back or she falls for someone who looks exactly like pine lol.

by Anonymousreply 178June 4, 2017 7:54 PM

I'm not a regular superhero fan but saw a 9am screening this morning. The theater was packed and burst into applause at the end. I loved it. With all the shit currently going on in the world, you wish Wonder Woman was going after ISIS. Chris Pine is adorable with his floppy hair and hot shirtless scene. Only thing missing for me was a rocking version of the old tv theme over the end credits. But I guess that would've been lost on anyone under 45.

by Anonymousreply 179June 4, 2017 7:54 PM

R179, I also saw a 9am showing this morning with a packed house. I loved it, though my companion was less enthused. I have to admit I even teared up a little at the end. Glorious!

by Anonymousreply 180June 4, 2017 8:24 PM

By the way, did anyone else stay for the end credits and see the Thank You to Lynda Carter?

by Anonymousreply 181June 4, 2017 8:25 PM

I think the next movie should take place in the 1920s or 30s.

by Anonymousreply 182June 4, 2017 8:38 PM

As much as I would love to see that (can WW travel through time? How about the Crusades or the Napoleonic Wars?), I suspect that they will bring her up to the present, and Pine will return as a Steve Trevor great-nephew or something.

I do hope that the Academy gives it some kind of recognition, Costume Design, Production Design, Visual Effects and/or Sound.

by Anonymousreply 183June 4, 2017 8:44 PM

Global opening B.O. is estimated to be $223M. $100.5M domestic, $122.5M international. The film's yet to open in Germany and France, and a few other countries. Since it's so well received it's expected to do well for quite some time.

by Anonymousreply 184June 4, 2017 9:02 PM

Wonder Woman isn't really a well known character in many markets, so it is great to see it is doing well across the globe including in the Asian markets.

by Anonymousreply 185June 4, 2017 9:04 PM

[quote] don't know why Chris Pine signed a multi-picture deal. Given what happened at the end of this movie, it makes no sense. Unless he's going to be playing another character entirely, I guess.

Even in the series Lyle Waggoner played Steve Trevor Sr and Jr. I can only guess Pine returns as the great grandson of Trevor.

[quote] Only thing missing for me was a rocking version of the old tv theme over the end credits. But I guess that would've been lost on anyone under 45.

I think I read they wanted to use it but couldn't get the rights.

by Anonymousreply 186June 4, 2017 9:09 PM

Patty Jenkins has apparently decided the sequel will take place in America, guess Diana will be leaving Paris.

Which reminds me, they really had to hand-wave how Steve Trevor was American in this movie, it made more sense for the character to be a Brit.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 187June 4, 2017 9:10 PM

[quote]Maybe they bring him back or she falls for someone who looks exactly like pine lol.

In the WW tv series, the 1970s Steve Trevor was the son of the 1940s Steve Trevor, both played by Lyle Waggoner. It was pretty funny. Apparently, Steve Sr. never mentioned to Steve Jr. that he had a secretary named Diana Prince even once, and there were no pictures of her!

by Anonymousreply 188June 4, 2017 11:58 PM

Lindy Hemmings the costume designer deserves an Oscar nom.

by Anonymousreply 189June 5, 2017 12:10 AM

So, how naked does Chris Pine get in this? Can we see full ass at least?

by Anonymousreply 190June 5, 2017 12:25 AM

You see the upper butt crack briefly.

by Anonymousreply 191June 5, 2017 12:34 AM

Well, damn. I guess they're wanting a family audience, so it makes sense, but still...

by Anonymousreply 192June 5, 2017 12:36 AM

Yes, the costumes/clothing were excellent.

by Anonymousreply 193June 5, 2017 12:36 AM

Get us out from under, Wonder Woman!

by Anonymousreply 194June 5, 2017 12:37 AM

R190/R192 there is one nice (and funny) full body frontal shot with Pine cupping himself out of modesty.

by Anonymousreply 195June 5, 2017 12:37 AM

Did I miss the explanation of how the Amazons were able to speak English?

by Anonymousreply 196June 5, 2017 12:47 AM

r196

Diana said they knew about 100s of language that's how she spoke spanish, french, chinese etc

by Anonymousreply 197June 5, 2017 12:59 AM

In Thor, the Nordic Gods are actually powerful, other dimensional beings. What are the Greek Gods in the DCEU?

by Anonymousreply 198June 5, 2017 1:04 AM

I saw it last night and thought it was fantastic!!

I loved the directors homage to the first Superman!

When they go into the alley and she takes out the bad guys? Just like Clark!

😍😍

by Anonymousreply 199June 5, 2017 1:06 AM

Actually in the Marvel Cinematic universe Thor and the asgardians are just a powerful alien species r198. Extradimensional beings wasn't introduced until "Doctor Strange"

In the Wonder Woman movie the Olympic gods are just referred to as gods, they don't try to explain it away. And they stick with current comic origin of Wonder Woman being a demigod daughter of Zeus.

by Anonymousreply 200June 5, 2017 1:16 AM

Awwww

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 201June 5, 2017 1:25 AM

I loved it. Can't wait to see it again. Gal Gadot was born for to play WW.

by Anonymousreply 202June 5, 2017 1:25 AM

This was SO much better than I expected. It was better than a "superhero" movie--it had real humor, action, romance. They got Diana right. She is a goddess, but also human. Better than the rest of us, but still relatable. Can't wait to see it again.

by Anonymousreply 203June 5, 2017 1:36 AM

@tyrantasorus

Why female representation matters in comics: Look at the expression of the child with Jessie Graff(She’s a stuntwoman for Supergirl )

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 204June 5, 2017 7:12 AM

$103 million final box office

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 205June 5, 2017 2:42 PM

R199, there were a few homages to the original Superman movie. Patti Jenkins said she looked to the first 2 films as inspiration. That was smart and a perfect balance to the Snyder influence. The glasses, the revolving door bit, and WW telling Steve she can't just leave those people to suffer. Very reminiscent of Superman in this scene:

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 206June 5, 2017 6:29 PM

Yes! The revolving door!!

Now that you mention it, the glasses!

I need to rewatch this.

by Anonymousreply 207June 5, 2017 7:43 PM

[quote]Pine was good. I've always thought he was the most untalented of all the Chrises but he shows a deft comic touch in this.

I think he did a pretty good dramatic turn in Hell or High Water.

by Anonymousreply 208June 5, 2017 7:50 PM

[quote]too little time was spent with WW kicking ass against soldiers

The Germans weren't really the bad guys in World War 1, it wasn't like World War 2 where their goals were rooted in racism and genocide. They were a nation at war, not much different from the French/British. That is way I like about the World War 1 setting because the message was really that war is senseless and mankind is just flawed and violent.

Millions of people were dying for what? For nothing really, for war for the sake of war. There is this great bleakness and depressiveness that is uniquely World War 1. That is why it is also a nice moment where the native american character points out how much his people suffered at the hands of the "good guys".

by Anonymousreply 209June 5, 2017 7:51 PM

HBO's Screening Room has a segment with Gal and Chris and he looks finer than ever! His blue eyes are radiant!

Both are wearing white shirts while talking about the film but Chris's long-sleeved tee is somewhat see-through. You can see a large mole/birthmark on his left side. Pretty gay! But hot!

So awesome that WONDER WOMAN is a huge success!

by Anonymousreply 210June 5, 2017 8:28 PM

R173/R209: I just found the scenes of WW fighting among/against the soldiers way more compelling that her 1-on-1 with the CGI Ares monster. That scene where she takes machine gun fire so the line can advance to help the stranded villagers is a perfect representation of who she is.

by Anonymousreply 211June 5, 2017 8:41 PM

Grace breaks it all down. The gay aspect is intriguing to me as I wasn't even aware that the screenwriter was a gay man.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 212June 5, 2017 8:54 PM

Do they discuss WW2 at all?

by Anonymousreply 213June 5, 2017 8:58 PM

[quote] I just found the scenes of WW fighting among/against the soldiers way more compelling that her 1-on-1 with the CGI Ares monster.

Well, everyone would agree there. The final act with Ares was pretty weak.

[quote]Do they discuss WW2 at all?

No, the present day stuff is very short. There is not much dialog at all, certainly not about WW2.

by Anonymousreply 214June 5, 2017 9:06 PM

Why would they discuss WWII? They didn't discuss Vietnam or the Spanish-American War, either.

by Anonymousreply 215June 5, 2017 9:17 PM

Well, WW2 is between the WW1 and the present day, and she does come out when her help is needed.

by Anonymousreply 216June 5, 2017 9:27 PM

It was like after Hippolyta was retconned into becoming the Golden Age Wonder Woman. Once the Justice Society disbanded in 1951, Hippolyta returned to the future but made several stops along the way, so that she could fulfill the presence of the JSA's Wonder Woman in all of the JLA/JSA team-ups.

DCEU Wonder Woman can make several reappearances throughout the last 100 years before her official reemergence in "Batman VS Superman".

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 217June 5, 2017 9:36 PM

@latimes

Director Patty Jenkins had to fight for her powerful No Man's Land scene in "Wonder Woman"

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 218June 5, 2017 9:41 PM

Of course she did, R218. Because Warner Bros doesn't know WTF they are doing.

I hope they find a way to retcon bringing WW back out before she reemerges in Justice League R217, but I'm not holding out too much hope. Unless WB finally wises up and gives Jenkins the kind of free reign they gave to Snyder.

by Anonymousreply 219June 5, 2017 10:10 PM

I saw this on Friday night and it really exceeded my expectations. It was wonderfully done. The "No Man's Land" sequence is absolutely awesome. To be honest I can't stop thinking about it. I've been looking forward to this since WW made her appearance in the dismal Batman vs. Superman. That movie only came to life when she appeared. I knew the WW movie would be something special then. Hopefully this raises the bar for future superhero movies.

by Anonymousreply 220June 5, 2017 10:47 PM

Jenkins shortlisted for Justice League sequels

by Anonymousreply 221June 5, 2017 11:01 PM

They should totally give the JL sequels to Jenkins, she did such a great job with WW.

by Anonymousreply 222June 5, 2017 11:04 PM

saw it this weekend instead packed house.

It was very good. Much better than I expected and Gasps is stunning and plays Diana with that wonderful innocence like Reeve played Superman.

Yes, sprayed to the end and saw the shout out to Lynda Carter. That made me smile.

I will see it again.

by Anonymousreply 223June 5, 2017 11:45 PM

Are you still spraying, R223? You seem drunk.

by Anonymousreply 224June 6, 2017 12:34 AM

[quote]Jenkins shortlisted for Justice League sequels

That's a no-brainer. Given the reception of this movie I'm sure the job is hers IF she wants it. I could see her wanting to just stick with her Wonder Woman franchise though.

by Anonymousreply 225June 6, 2017 12:36 AM

alwaysh, r224.

by Anonymousreply 226June 6, 2017 1:11 AM

R218/R219, we will never know how true that is (that she had to fight to get the scene in), but if she did ...

The scene makes the movie. It isn't about being a feminist either, it is about standing up for your beliefs. This really says a lot about the people giving "notes". I certainly realize bad things can happen if you give directors 100% complete control, but this is a quibble, and these idiots were picking the wrong battle.

R225, I think she should be apprehensive. A LOT of blame goes to directors of bad movies (Apocalypse? B vs S? Green Lantern? I could go on), but really these train wrecks started with bad scripts. She could be the best director in the world, but if the script is shit ... she can only do so much.

by Anonymousreply 227June 6, 2017 1:30 AM

I'd gladly gargle Steve Trevor's gassy babies back to life.

by Anonymousreply 228June 6, 2017 3:17 AM

*THE* Diana Prince. We will NEVER forget.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 229June 6, 2017 3:23 AM

Thousands--nay!, millions--of gay little boys are being robbed, ROBBED, of the magical empowerment of the Wonder Woman spin. It is a crying shame, I say. When I was a naive gayling, during the era when my cousins and other neighborhood boys vied to be either Superman or Batman amongst a sea of Aquamans and Green Lanterns and Robins (the "leftover" roles that fell to the younger members of the lot), I proudly claimed and proclaimed my Wonder Womanhood and brazenly and regally spun and subsequently magic-lassoed them to the ground, following with my coup de gras of sitting and wriggling on their groins until they prodded me fervently with their headed profession of undying submission and everlasting obeisance.

But now, how will today's little gaylings interpret this modern-age Wonder Woman? Will they pierce their villainous counterparts with a giant god-smiting sword? Will they cow them with their overflowing bustiers? Will they lull them into docility with a foreign lilt? ("I AM DIANA, PRINTHESS OF THEMYTHCIRA!").

Alas, it will all pale in comparison to the magic of the Amazonian Spin. Pshaw, I say! There is no equal and I will never, EVER, bow to another.

by Anonymousreply 230June 6, 2017 3:38 AM

What was the ending nod to Lynda Carter?

by Anonymousreply 231June 6, 2017 7:30 AM

R229 Fuck, that looked [italic]terrible.[/italic] We really see things differently with our childhood eyes, don't we?

by Anonymousreply 232June 6, 2017 10:57 AM

R231, it was a thank you in the end credits.

by Anonymousreply 233June 6, 2017 11:34 AM

Thanks R233. I left as soon as the movie ended. I was so upset about Steve's death! Chris Pine did a great job and the love story wasn't corny.

by Anonymousreply 234June 6, 2017 12:27 PM

> What was the ending nod to Lynda Carter?

I think she was in the list of people thanked at the very end. George Perez topped the list. Phii Jimenez was on there too, and I think Greg Rucka. I didn't catch all the names, but it seemed like a roster of people who had an important creative influence on the character.

by Anonymousreply 235June 6, 2017 12:37 PM

For those of you who don't know who George Perez is - in the late 1980s he was the artist and co-writer who did a total ret-con of WW from the ground up, and his tenure on WW received great acclaim. To this day, his work on revitalizing the character and making her more "modern" is widely praised. He's one of the biggest legends in the comics industry.

by Anonymousreply 236June 6, 2017 12:41 PM

"The Empire That The Jews Built" is regressive

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 237June 6, 2017 9:41 PM

Saw it again tonight. Loved it the second time. Was surprised--the screening was almost sold out. On a Tuesday night!

by Anonymousreply 238June 7, 2017 4:33 AM

Of course we're going to see a Wonder Woman 2 due to the huge success of this one. I really, really hope that the second one is also a stand-alone film and not some stupid tie-in to whatever garbage is going on with JL, Batman or Superman. WW deserves her own film series to herself, and not a tie-in.

by Anonymousreply 239June 7, 2017 4:44 AM

I think my only complaint about this movie is that I wish Lucy Davis (Etta Candy) had a little more screen time. She was wonderful.

by Anonymousreply 240June 7, 2017 1:38 PM

I quite liked it. Gadot's acting was perfect for naive Diana. It's Nielsen's delivery that was a bit odd at times. And some of the other Amazons as well. Screamed at Antiope's end but whatever. We'll never return to that island anyway, so why [italic]not[/italic] up the stakes?

The end scene felt like a video game, with intermittent quips by the Big Boss and everything. The RT average rating of 7.6 is about right.

by Anonymousreply 241June 7, 2017 1:50 PM

Gadot is a shoo-in for an Oscar nomination.

by Anonymousreply 242June 7, 2017 3:52 PM

Go to bed, R242. Gadot was good but this was no Oscar performance. She basically had to look good and be believable. She nailed both but it was in no way an Oscar-worthy performance.

by Anonymousreply 243June 7, 2017 7:39 PM

All true, r243, but she's Israeli

by Anonymousreply 244June 7, 2017 7:57 PM

I loved it.

by Anonymousreply 245June 7, 2017 9:09 PM

Robin Wright and Connie Nielsen will be reprising their roles in the Justice League. Obviously a flashback, probably will tie into Apokalips/Motherboxes.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 246June 8, 2017 7:15 PM

I thought Robin wright would have a bigger role. She was in the movie for like 10 minutes.

by Anonymousreply 247June 8, 2017 9:51 PM

You can only spend so much time on Themyscira r247, it wasn't a lot of camera time but she certainly made the most of it.

by Anonymousreply 248June 8, 2017 9:53 PM

All the more reason for a Themyscira-invasion based film. Get the fuck away from the BvS storyline and get to see more of the Amazons kicking ass.

by Anonymousreply 249June 8, 2017 9:58 PM

Hippolyta is more important than Antiope.

by Anonymousreply 250June 8, 2017 10:07 PM

Way to go, Wonder Woman!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 251June 8, 2017 10:11 PM

Just saw it. HIGHLY impressed.

by Anonymousreply 252June 9, 2017 9:03 PM

Chris Pine's full lips look even more luscious on a big movie screen.

by Anonymousreply 253June 9, 2017 9:04 PM

SOLD OUT 2PM show in Dallas today in a GIANT theatre... WOW!!!!!!!!!!!!

The humor touches were very well done. The supporting "heroes" were also fleshed out fairly well for b-characters.

Diana... ALL ABOUT LOVE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I GEEKED OUT and the packed Dallas theatre was ROARING at the end!!!

And Chris Pine's acting was just incredible! I have NEVER liked him before but now I am a fan.

And, Allan Heinberg: YOU GET IT. Fuck YES!!!!!!

by Anonymousreply 254June 9, 2017 11:56 PM

I saw it at 1:00 pm today and the theater was about 95% full. I think it will make at least $65 mil this weekend.

I loved it. People were clapping and cheering at the end.

by Anonymousreply 255June 10, 2017 12:30 AM

God help Patty Jenkins if she's saddled with that JL albatross. She needs to stay the fuck away from that mess.

by Anonymousreply 256June 10, 2017 10:38 AM

Went into WW with middling expectations, then was startled to find tears rolling down my cheeks at the No Man's Land scene (Mary!). Like the other posters upthread, I didn't like the Ares character (he keeps his mustache?!) and the CGI version of him.

Small niggling thing: They have black and white Amazons, but no Asians?! WTF! They even have a Native American in France for crying out loud. Sheesh.

by Anonymousreply 257June 10, 2017 8:14 PM

Estimated $15+ million Friday. It's going to pull another $50 million this weekend easy. Yay for 1) diverse films with 2) interesting and complex female characters that audiences 3) want and 4) enjoy that are also 5) well made with a 6) good script.

1-6 is a much better formula for success than throwing money at Snyder/Apatow/Bay and letting him play out his latest dudebo fantasy.

by Anonymousreply 258June 10, 2017 8:24 PM

Now that the movie's been out for a little while, are we allowed to review WW without omitting spoilers on this thread? I'm assuming that by now everyone on this thread has seen it so spoilers would be okay.

by Anonymousreply 259June 10, 2017 9:34 PM

R259 I got spoiled by R171 even before seeing the movie, so... people probably didn't even know this was a spoiler-free thread for a week or so after the movie's premiere. We'll have to be more explicit next time or ask posters to put SPOILERS in bold at the beginning of their posts.

by Anonymousreply 260June 10, 2017 10:17 PM

[quote]He even had Diana do the beloved spin that every single person on this thread did at least once to try and turn into Wonder Woman.

Not everyone is that old or has seen much of the old series even in syndication. Zzzzz…

[quote][R57] sigh my emotions get the better of me....

[italic]Emotions ? Over a decades-old TV movie ?[/italic]

[quote] I love that we have an unhinged Wonder Woman nut here, off meds and having a manic episode presumably.

More than one.

[quote]Also one thing I thought was amusing the words "Wonder Woman" are never actually said. She is just called Diana.

[quote]So no one said something like, "I wonder about that woman?"

[italic]“Wow. That is no ordinary woman! She’s a… wonder woman!”[/italic] Smirk.

[quote]This was SO much better than I expected. It was better than a "superhero" movie--it had real humor, action, romance. They got Diana right. She is a goddess, but also human. Better than the rest of us, but still relatable.

I saw it today (avoided the thread due to the inevitable spoilers) and the post above sums it up for me. While not earth-shattering, in two words: It worked. The forced and obvious “humor” and “romance” in these movies are always eyeroll-inducing to me; yet, they were handled well in WW, and fortunately, there wasn’t too much of either. The darker leather-like costume made much more sense than the bright comic book version (I appreciate that they didn’t bow to fan outrage re that). In general, the ensemble acting was solid enough that I wasn't repeatedly taken out of the movie by bad performances.

Gadot’s strong accent and level of acting skill (seriously though: her F&F character was one of my favorites in that franchise) worked well for Diana’s backstory and naïveté - both of which again were handled with good balance. The third act action is to be expected in a comic book movie, and it always seems to look pretty much the same, regardless of the movie or characters. I do like that Trevor’s death (which made complete sense, so [bold]please[/bold] don’t bring back Pine as a look-alike relative!) was the catalyst that helped her defeat Ares (otherwise, how else could she have done so against a god who has been around for millennia?).

I’m taken that with all of the chronic hate expressed on DL against comic book movies, so many on this thread were so overwhelmingly and giddily enthusiastic and positive about this film. [bold]That’s[/bold] truly a wonder.

by Anonymousreply 261June 11, 2017 1:23 AM

[quote]Not everyone is that old or has seen much of the old series even in syndication.

What are you, 15? Go back to the sandbox, child.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 262June 11, 2017 1:29 AM

I'll admit that I didn't totally hate her dark, leatherish outfit, but in the Superman films I abhorred it. The bright, colorful Chris Reeve outfit is THE Superman outfit.

by Anonymousreply 263June 11, 2017 1:31 AM

I loved the outfit. It was perfect for an Amazon.

by Anonymousreply 264June 11, 2017 7:41 AM

Wow! Was projected to do $50MM this weekend but will do $57MM

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 265June 11, 2017 10:19 AM

I can't find the Chris Pine bath scene online

by Anonymousreply 266June 11, 2017 12:15 PM

It is too bad Steve and Etta cannot continue with WW having been such a part of the comic for so many decades. Heinberg wrote Wonder Woman in the comics so he ha s a handle on what will happen. Most people will be scoffing if WW comes back with Trevor and Etta in the modern day.

by Anonymousreply 267June 11, 2017 12:26 PM

I think the next movie should take place right after this one. Diana and Etta can take on the Russian Revolution or something.

by Anonymousreply 268June 11, 2017 12:43 PM

I liked the movie. I just wished that it was more aggressively feminist. I guess they had to do that to appeal to a mass audience. But a comic book from the 40s being more progressive than a movie in 2017 is pretty sad. Why didn't they keep the whole given life by seven GODDESSES cover story.? It would have achieved the same thing. What about the Amazons being the reincarnation of domestic abuse victims? It would have made their isolationist attitudes make more sense.. Supposedly they train for thousands of years to save mankind and then when the chance comes; they all just shrug?

What about the fact that they wear their bracelets to remind them to never let any MAN subjugate them again? Why did Diana seem so amazed by the concept of marriage? The comics have explicitly said the amazons are lesbians for decades now? Why get rid of everything that makes Diana more than just Thor/Captain America?

by Anonymousreply 269June 12, 2017 12:07 AM

I saw yesterday. Surprised by how long and relatively underwhelming it was given box office and general acclaim. I feel like I saw a different movie. And i love superhero/fantasy movies.

by Anonymousreply 270June 12, 2017 3:34 AM

I saw it twice already.

Loved it.

by Anonymousreply 271June 12, 2017 4:34 AM

R270 = Marvel stan.

by Anonymousreply 272June 12, 2017 3:18 PM

Yawn r272. Honestly I get that poster.

I liked the movie, but sometimes the way people want to overrate it makes me want to be contrarian. I mean yes it was nice movie, but nothing that special. I said this earlier but when I look at superhero movies I've seen this year "Logan" was clearly better.

by Anonymousreply 273June 12, 2017 3:28 PM

Weekend actual is $58 million. Amazing hold.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 274June 12, 2017 3:28 PM

All but the hardcore DC fans understand that this movie is being graded on a curve. And why the fuck not? It deserves it, after the nightmare of 2016 that is still unfolding.

I'm sure even Captain Marvel will get some of that charitable grading. And again, I'm [italic]totally[/italic] down for that. Give female superhero movies all the boost they need.

by Anonymousreply 275June 12, 2017 3:33 PM

It is being graded on a curve, but it isn't. Is there room for improvement? Yes, lots. The script is rushed and scant on some major and potentially interesting plot points. The CGI battle is an overblown cliche. BUT is still is far and away the best of the Warner Bros superhero output from the last few years. There are some excellent fight scenes, lots of chemistry among the principle actors and really strong supporting roles. And it was a great vehicle for a beloved character audiences have been waiting for who has gotten the shaft for way too long. So overall I think it deserves the response it's been getting.

by Anonymousreply 276June 12, 2017 5:21 PM

I get that WW is a beloved character. I loved her in comic books and on TV. As such, I feel like she deserved a better movie, with a more potent characterization, and a much stronger story. I really hated that they made her an actual child of Zeus. That is not who she is. She was a product of mysticism not mythology -- molded from clay and imbued with the "powers" of mythical Greek gods, not a god herself. Now she is anomalous even in a fantasy realm where everyone else's powers can be "explained" by science.

by Anonymousreply 277June 13, 2017 4:56 AM

[quote] I really hated that they made her an actual child of Zeus. That is not who she is.

Yes she is. That is not a movie invention, the comics have decided she is the daughter of Zeus.

[quote]The comics have explicitly said the amazons are lesbians for decades now?

Did you miss the boat scene with Diana and Steve Trevor? It was made clear that Amazons are not strangers to some female/female loving, as she tells him, men are unnecessary for sexual pleasure.

by Anonymousreply 278June 13, 2017 1:19 PM

I really don't get the quibbling over her new parentage. I think it's 10x cooler that she's the daughter of Zeus and not some magical lump of clay. It doesn't change the character much except to make her more powerful and more firmly rooted in mythology. She's still an Amazonian warrior princess and an ambassador of peace and truth.

I am also fine with the fate of Steve Trevor. He was given his due, adapted flawlessly and given a grand exit. He is not essential to her story anymore, and would prove problematic in a modern setting. This is why it was smart to set the film in WWI, something else the naysayers bemoaned.

by Anonymousreply 279June 13, 2017 1:28 PM

Saw WW today and i enjoyed it. I know it's part of the Syderverse but they overdid it with the slow motion. And whatever Chris Pine has done to his face is not a good look.

by Anonymousreply 280June 13, 2017 2:21 PM

Anyone who hates this movie on any grounds deserves to die in a grease fire and I will send them there. They don't need to release any more movies this year because I think we have our Oscar winner in every category in which it is eligible.

by Anonymousreply 281June 13, 2017 2:26 PM

What exactly are her powers now that she's established as a god? Does she fly, teleport, shoot lightning out of her hands, cloud peoples' minds like her half brother Ares? Does that mean no invisible jet, and can she beat up Superman since he's merely an alien?

by Anonymousreply 282June 13, 2017 2:27 PM

She's always been able to go toe to toe with Superman because her powers are magic based. That lasso works on him and so do her other weapons. It appears she can shoot lightning from her bracelets but I didn't see any teleporting or mind control. She can leap and project herself across distances but not exactly fly, it appears. I get the sense that her powers were still developing and manifesting in 1917 and maybe still in the present day, so I expect to see them evolve in subsequent films. Not sure how the jet would fit into this version or how well it would transfer to film.

by Anonymousreply 283June 13, 2017 2:58 PM

[quote] Does she fly

Wonder Woman has been able to fly in the comics since 1986.

In general her powerset has remained the same. Just like in the movie, Diana had believed the story she was clay brought to life by the gods. She finds out that was a lie told to her by her mother. It isn't really the character changed, so much as the explanation of who she is and why she can do the things she can do changed.

And frankly, I think it was for the better.

by Anonymousreply 284June 13, 2017 3:03 PM

Also it terms of her being the same as Ares and expected to have the same powers: Ares is full god, the child of Zeus and Hera.

The idea behind Diana is she is a demigod, similar to Hercules.

by Anonymousreply 285June 13, 2017 3:07 PM

Thor is a Norse god but Marvel explained that he is actually an alien believed to be a God by primitive humans. Doctor Strange is a mystic who draws power from another dimension.

Superman, Aquaman and Flash are all mortals with enhanced abilities. Where does that leave Wonder Woman? Who is Zeus? Are we to believe that all humans were created by Zeus? Is Zeus really the Judeo-Christian "God?" It's all too complicated for a fantasy superhero because it implicates religious belief systems. Better that she was created by magic than that she is the biological issue of a "god."

by Anonymousreply 286June 13, 2017 3:28 PM

It's best not to over-think it, r286. Perhaps the Amazons BELIEVE that Zeus created all humans. It's just part of their mythology.

by Anonymousreply 287June 13, 2017 3:32 PM

As of the end of the Wonder Woman movie all the Olympic gods are dead (supposedly anyway), so really it is a moot point.

[quote]Is Zeus really the Judeo-Christian "God?"

Obviously not. There are many god beliefs outside of the Judeo-Christian conception of God. We know the Olympic gods aren't omnipotent, they had obvious limits of their power and they died.

Yes, the Marvel movies were afraid of the "god" word so made Thor an alien instead, but personally I like the DC wasn't afraid to just call them gods like the comics do.

And as r287 said, just because Amazons worship Zeus as the creator of mankind, doesn't mean he actually was.

by Anonymousreply 288June 13, 2017 3:48 PM

Saw it last night. It was good, but not great. All the slow-motion during the fighting sequences was overdone. One thing Man of Steel does really well is the fighting sequences. The speed and force of execution demonstrates their super human powers. Slow-mo Wonder Woman took away from that delivery. My other issue: While Gadot is beautiful and a decent actress (I could connect with her Wonder Woman portrayal more than Cavill's Superman), she is too skinny. I has to suspend belief during her fighting sequences - something I never needed to do during Zena/Lawless or Wonder Woman/Carter fighting sequences. 10 more pounds would've added more *impact* to her fisticuffs. Overall: B.

by Anonymousreply 289June 13, 2017 3:58 PM

*I had to suspend belief..

by Anonymousreply 290June 13, 2017 4:00 PM

R289 Agreed and also *Xena

by Anonymousreply 291June 13, 2017 4:04 PM

Yes! "Xena". I loved that show. How could I forget how to spell her name in 16 years? (Old age ;-)

by Anonymousreply 292June 13, 2017 4:26 PM

Wonder Woman only drops 36% this weekend

Will hit $270MM this weekend, looks like it will definitely end up outgrossing Man of Steel ($291) and Batman V Superman ($330)

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 293June 17, 2017 2:59 PM

Fabulous interview with Lynda Carter at the Library of Congress.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 294June 17, 2017 3:38 PM

Weekend estimates raised to 40MM, now only a 32% drop

by Anonymousreply 295June 17, 2017 4:24 PM

I'm hoping I get a chance to see it again this weekend.

by Anonymousreply 296June 17, 2017 4:50 PM

Did anybody read the Twitter thread that showed what Whedon's forgotten script looked like????

My god it was horrible. It seemed to be more about Steve than WW.

It was rightly abandoned and never heard from again.

by Anonymousreply 297June 17, 2017 11:32 PM

That Whedon script is AWFUL. Thank Hera it didn't get made. Doesn't bode well for BATGIRL....

by Anonymousreply 298June 18, 2017 1:05 AM

Happy this did well. Not a huge fan of wooden Godot (how the hell did she get this job anyway?) -- wish they'd found a better actress if this thing has legs and is going to have sequels

by Anonymousreply 299June 18, 2017 1:46 AM

Thanks for linking that r294. I love Lynda. Carla Hayden rocks, too!

by Anonymousreply 300June 18, 2017 2:11 AM

Who played the Native American guy?? I know it was something like "Eddie Eagle Rock" in the credits, but I could swear that voice sounded just like Kevin Costner. Anyone here in the know? Thanks.

by Anonymousreply 301June 21, 2017 4:04 AM

If only there were some Internet movie data base that could answer that question.

by Anonymousreply 302June 21, 2017 7:21 AM

Weekend actual was actually 41.27mm.

Interesting to note, starting on its fifth day of wide release, Wonder Woman has outgrossed both Batman Superman and Man of Steel on a day-by-day basis, every day.

by Anonymousreply 303June 22, 2017 1:08 PM

That's because Wonder Woman is a legit good film and has great word of mouth. I can't tell you how many "I don't like superhero films, but" recommendations I have heard, especially from women.

by Anonymousreply 304June 22, 2017 1:58 PM

Wonder Woman is now the highest grossing live action film from a female director

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 305June 22, 2017 7:18 PM

[quote]I can't tell you how many "I don't like superhero films, but" recommendations I have heard,

Which is pretty amusing if people want to try to qualify it. Wonder Woman is very much a superhero film, other than having a female protagonist, everything about it falls in line with other superhero films we have seen.

As this Vanity Fair article said well

[quote]The cruel irony is that what Wonder Woman really is, is a pretty good Marvel movie.

by Anonymousreply 306June 22, 2017 7:22 PM

Wonder Woman outgrosses Man of Steel as of yesterday.

by Anonymousreply 307June 23, 2017 4:18 PM

Ah, no one said it wasn't a superhero movie, R306.

by Anonymousreply 308June 23, 2017 4:21 PM

Wonder Woman will do $26 million this weekend which will bring its domestic total to $319MM. It will outgross Batman V Superman by Friday (possibly earlier) of next week.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 309June 23, 2017 8:08 PM

I was traveling when it came out, and life has gotten in the way of me seeing it before tonight.

I was probably the most skeptical here, but that was 10X better than I would have hoped for in my wildest dreams. I'm glad they proved me wrong.

by Anonymousreply 310June 26, 2017 2:00 AM

[quote]I has to suspend belief during her fighting sequences

It didn't bother me as much as I was expecting, but it was REALLY obvious when her stunt double took over because whoever that woman was, she's a lot more built than Gal. But I thought Gal was convincing enough in the moves she did herself, even if I don't think her physique was quite what it should have been. She does have nice legs, though.

Between this and Jessie Graff on American Ninja Warrior, it's been a great summer for real super women. Yay.

by Anonymousreply 311June 26, 2017 10:20 AM

After Wonder Woman and Steve Trevor spent the night together, (Ok- fucked) I thought the young woman in the opening shot would turn out to be WW's granddaughter.

by Anonymousreply 312June 26, 2017 11:17 AM

Will Diana's invisible plane appear in the sequel?

by Anonymousreply 313June 26, 2017 6:45 PM

I thought it was moderately entertaining, and really too stupid for words. I don't get it.

by Anonymousreply 314June 26, 2017 7:08 PM

Tell us how you feel about Marvel films, R314.

by Anonymousreply 315June 26, 2017 8:35 PM

It was great and really well done.

by Anonymousreply 316June 27, 2017 5:53 AM

It passed Batman V Superman last night.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 317June 30, 2017 2:30 PM

Patty Jenkins and Allan Heinberg proved one thing over Zach Snyder and David Goyer.

Never send two straight guys to do a woman and a gay man's job.

by Anonymousreply 318June 30, 2017 9:28 PM

Why has it taken so long for Patty Jenkins to make another movie?

by Anonymousreply 319June 30, 2017 11:27 PM

As great as Gia is 50% of the success is due to Chris. If I was a maker of WW2 I would be more than a little worried about killing off Steve Trevor.

by Anonymousreply 320July 1, 2017 7:52 AM

If Warner Bros. has anything to celebrate this weekend, it’s the holding power of Wonder Woman, -37% in its fifth weekend with $15.6M. We thought she’d end her stateside journey at $360M, but there’s a good chance she gets close to $380M. The current running cume for the DC hero is $346.1M. Worldwide, she’s just under $708M.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 321July 2, 2017 4:17 PM

Now at $354.6MM going into weekend 6. Should do about $20MM more.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 322July 6, 2017 1:22 AM

Expected to hit $369 at the end of this weekend; could overtake Guardians 2.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 323July 7, 2017 8:09 PM

I think, if you had to break it down to a single scene where you knew the entire movie was going to nail it, it was the ice cream scene.

by Anonymousreply 324July 7, 2017 9:51 PM

80s hair, bitches!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 325July 11, 2017 11:42 AM

[quote]As great as Gia is 50% of the success is due to Chris. If I was a maker of WW2 I would be more than a little worried about killing off Steve Trevor.

Agreed. Chris Pine was a HUGE factor in this movie working.

But with the sequel I think they realize this, and they will work hard to create some strong supporting characters with talented actors. They really have complete freedom to create her supporting cast.

by Anonymousreply 326July 12, 2017 1:04 PM

R319 Well she's a woman for starters......

by Anonymousreply 327July 12, 2017 1:37 PM

I hate this theory that it's going to be about Steve Trevor's kids in the 80s. Just bring him back via Hades, for God's sake!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 328July 12, 2017 2:00 PM

Outgrossed Guardians 2 this weekend

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 329July 23, 2017 3:40 PM

Cute photo.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 330July 23, 2017 3:46 PM

Why couldn't Steve Trevor have parachuted out of plane and audience just didn't see it? Maybe he decided not to shoot. He put on parachute, pulled the pin out of a grenade, threw into cargo hold and jumped. Got a concussion in explosion and has amnesia. Problem solved.

by Anonymousreply 331July 23, 2017 4:15 PM

Chris Pine signed a multi-picture deal, so I assume Steve Trevor will be brought back to life somehow. This is science fiction, after all.

by Anonymousreply 332July 23, 2017 4:21 PM

I just saw it and I loved it! Great story, the action scenes were good and Chris and Gal had chemistry too.

by Anonymousreply 333July 24, 2017 8:46 PM

At Comic Con, it was reported that WW 2 will be set in the 80s, during the last days of the Soviet Union.

by Anonymousreply 334July 24, 2017 9:37 PM

Wonder Woman is definitely getting an Oscar nom for Best Picture. No doubt about it whatsoever.

by Anonymousreply 335July 24, 2017 10:07 PM

I hope it turns out that all the Gods aren't dead...maybe one of them saved Trevor? Easy peasy. Maybe they've kept him in "suspended animation" until they feel Diana is worthy or needs him or something. They can make it work. Pine has to be there in pt 2.

by Anonymousreply 336July 25, 2017 12:29 AM

So will WW2 just ignore the stupid "she disappeared for 100 years" crap from BvS? But they maintained it in the WW film. How will they explain her being in the US in the late 80s, and presumably being all Wonder-Womaney, but no one knew about her during MoS and BvS?

by Anonymousreply 337July 25, 2017 12:32 AM

It's not confirmed yet that WW2 will be in the 80s, that's just the rumor.

by Anonymousreply 338July 25, 2017 12:46 AM

The story might be that Chris Pine's character is in some sort of suspended animation thought up by that girl Scientist with the mask. The conflict is that Hitler, or some other Demon is suspended the same way and to save Steve, Wonder Woman would have to release the Demon as well.

by Anonymousreply 339July 25, 2017 3:16 AM

[quote]Wonder Woman is definitely getting an Oscar nom for Best Picture. No doubt about it whatsoever.

It really shouldn't. I enjoyed the film but no need to be silly.

by Anonymousreply 340July 25, 2017 3:19 AM

They increased the Best Picture slots to 10 in order for films like this to get a nod. I think it will get a nom. So will Dunkirk.

by Anonymousreply 341July 25, 2017 3:22 AM

There is no difference between Wonder Woman and good Marvel movies other than it had a female lead.

by Anonymousreply 342July 25, 2017 3:24 AM

It will not get a BP nod. It made money; that is its reward.

by Anonymousreply 343July 25, 2017 12:26 PM

[quote]It will not get a BP nod. It made money; that is its reward.

And opened up a world of possibilities for female-led action movies. I hope Atomic Blonde continues the theme.

by Anonymousreply 344July 25, 2017 12:30 PM

Christmas 2019! They'll probably have to start production early next year to make that date.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 345July 26, 2017 6:05 AM

[quote]Wonder Woman is definitely getting an Oscar nom for Best Picture.

Hmmm, not so sure, Best Picture noms aren't taken lightly and are hugely symbolic. We also aren't in Awards season yet, when all the Oscar bait flicks are released. However I do think Patty Jenkins deserves a nod for Best Director. She turned the DCEU around with this film, smashed every expectation and broke multiple box office records. She also made a great film, directed by a woman and starring a woman, in a genre that is usually male-dominated behind the camera, onscreen and in the theaters, too. This is no small feat and she deserves a nomination. So few women get nominated for directed that I think she has a decent shot on symbolic grounds.

by Anonymousreply 346July 26, 2017 3:37 PM

Speak of the devil

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 347July 28, 2017 12:39 AM

The film isn't getting anything but technical awards from the AMPAS, they do NOT take comic book films seriously and don't intend to in the future. And Jenkins might get a no if the BD field is weak, but won't win, not for Comic-based material.

Her reward ought to be to get offered every action film or decent script running, as well as all the bad ones that need saving, and if Warner's doesn't beg her to step in and save the rest of the DC franchise then they're a bunch of fools. Except the odds are that they really ARE a bunch of fools who don't appreciate her talent, just looking at their track record.

by Anonymousreply 348July 28, 2017 4:33 AM

Will cross $400 million Monday!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 349August 5, 2017 7:58 PM

It crossed $400 million yesterday, and either today or tomorrow will pass another landmark: surpassing "Frozen" as the highest-grossing film with a female director.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 350August 9, 2017 10:13 PM

My Soul Looks Back and Wonders: A Critical Examination of the Wonder Woman Movie:

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 351August 9, 2017 10:36 PM

Patty nears sequel deal

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 352August 18, 2017 3:54 AM

The Blu-Ray includes a small scene (they don't specify that it was cut, but it was clearly intended to be a post-credits scene) where Etta is awesome and assembles Charlie, Sam, and the Chief to go on a mission to recover "something" that was found after Diana's battle with Ares.

In short, Etta is awesome, and the something is a Motherbox.

by Anonymousreply 353September 19, 2017 10:13 AM

What is a Motherbox?

by Anonymousreply 354September 19, 2017 11:50 AM

It's a MacGuffin.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 355September 19, 2017 12:45 PM

Here's the Youtube link with all the special features (including the deleted scenes) form the DVD.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 356September 19, 2017 1:31 PM

[quote]What is a Motherbox?

It will be a big plot point for Justice League.

by Anonymousreply 357September 19, 2017 1:48 PM

Motherboxes are the attempt to tie all of these DCEU films together so they can introduce Steppenwolfand eventually Darkseid. Zzzzzzzzzzzz....

When's WW2 coming out? At least the Amazons return in Justice League.

by Anonymousreply 358September 19, 2017 1:48 PM

Christmas 2019.

by Anonymousreply 359September 19, 2017 1:52 PM

I'm sure a lot of the reshoots for Justice League were done in part, if not entirely, for the purposes of putting more Wonder Woman in the movie. The second trailer was like 70% Diana.

Must suck for Affleck. Batman is supposed to be the lynchpin of DC, and he's just...not.

by Anonymousreply 360September 20, 2017 12:41 AM

Please. There were more important concerns I'm sure r360.

There were reports that came out. The third act was messy, some pacing issues and the movie needed more humor (sounds exactly like what prior DC film). Whedon had to fix those Snyderisms first to make sure it was a decent film.

by Anonymousreply 361September 20, 2017 1:17 AM

Trying to Frankenstein a movie together didn't really work for Suicide Squad.

by Anonymousreply 362September 20, 2017 1:18 AM

I don't think Justice League will be anything great, but I think it will be decent, probably pleasant and generic fun. They put too much effort into making sure this wasn't a BvS repeat, to release a BvS repeat.

by Anonymousreply 363September 20, 2017 1:23 AM

I want to say that "Justice League" can't possibly be worse than "Suicide Squad", but the track record of these films is still very bad overall. Even after enjoying every minute of "Wonder Woman" I can't feel optimistic.

by Anonymousreply 364September 20, 2017 2:20 AM

The rumor right now is that Wonder Woman 2 will be set in the 1980s, and Chris Pine will be in it, who knows if that's true or how they're going to explain Steve Trevor coming back.

by Anonymousreply 365September 20, 2017 2:55 AM

I think it is awesome that Wonder Woman, who has always taken a back seat to Superman and Batman, is now the one generating all the excitement, positive word of mouth and $$$!

by Anonymousreply 366September 20, 2017 3:02 AM

We know it is set in America during the the cold war era r365

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 367September 20, 2017 2:30 PM

The guys at How it should have ended have a good idea, Steve should have jump in parachute and shot the bombs, or else...

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 368September 24, 2017 6:26 PM

The Etta Candy bonus features are great. They're on Youtube.

by Anonymousreply 369September 24, 2017 6:39 PM

Unintended consequence of Weinstein scandal -

Wonder Woman Best Picture nomination

by Anonymousreply 370October 14, 2017 11:11 AM

Just saw it on HBO—loved it! And they nailed the casting of Etta Candy with Lucy Davis.

by Anonymousreply 371February 11, 2018 2:19 AM

I'm so glad Etta Candy was in the movie, and yes Lucy Davis did a marvelous job. Unfortunately I don't see how Etta could be in a sequel. Rumor has it that WW2 will be set in the 1980s.

by Anonymousreply 372February 11, 2018 3:01 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!