Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

120 Beats per Minute gets the Grand Prix

Cannot wait to see this.

[quote]120 Beats per Minute gets the Grand Prix

[quote]It is one of the very best films at Cannes: a defiant, passionate, heartwrenching and in its way euphoric movie about the ACT UP movement in Paris in the late 80s and early 90s, campaigning aggressively for the complacent political establishment and bland careerists of Big Pharma to do something about Aids research. It is a film whose emotional force builds progressively through the film; appropriately, its heartbeat maintains a steady, accumulative intensity. The largely unknown cast were all superb. It’s a film I can’t wait to see again when it is released in the UK.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 15July 8, 2018 9:28 AM

Other awards:

Palme d’Or: “The Square” (Ruben Östlund)

70th Anniversary Award: Nicole Kidman

Grand Prix: “BPM (Beats Per Minute)” (Robin Campillo)

Director: Sofia Coppola, “The Beguiled”

Actor: Joaquin Phoenix, “You Were Never Really Here”

Actress: Diane Kruger, “In the Fade”

Jury Prize: “Loveless” (Andrey Zvyagintsev)

Screenplay — TIE: “The Killing of a Sacred Deer” (Yorgos Lanthimos, Efthimis Filippou) and “You Were Never Really Here” (Lynne Ramsay)

OTHER PRIZES

Camera d’Or: “Jeune femme” (Montparnasse-Bienvenüe) (Léonor Serraille)

Short Films Palme d’Or: “Xiao Cheng Er Yue” (Qiu Yang)

Short Films Special Mention: “Katto” (Teppo Airaksinen)

Golden Eye Documentary Prize: “Faces Places” (Visages Villages) (Agnès Varda, JR)

Ecumenical Jury Prize: “Radiance” (Naomi Kawase)

by Anonymousreply 1May 28, 2017 8:34 PM

Apparently it's the very first gay-centric film about AIDS!

by Anonymousreply 2May 28, 2017 8:45 PM

Here is the first trailer:

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 3May 28, 2017 9:06 PM

Is this another piece of shit like "When We Rise"?

by Anonymousreply 4May 28, 2017 9:14 PM

I was sold the second I heard Bronski Beat in the trailer. I'm there!

by Anonymousreply 5May 28, 2017 9:20 PM

It looks great. Do we know if it will open in the US?

by Anonymousreply 6May 28, 2017 9:32 PM

Just saw it in London. It is a really good piece of cinema - I'd say better than Normal Heart, which was already pretty good.

by Anonymousreply 7October 7, 2017 9:33 PM

[quote] defiant, passionate, heartwrenching and in its way euphoric movie about the ACT UP movement in Paris in the late 80s and early 90s, campaigning aggressively for the complacent political establishment and bland careerists of Big Pharma to do something

I notice they don't mention "entertaining". But then few political polemics are.

by Anonymousreply 8October 7, 2017 10:36 PM

bump

by Anonymousreply 9December 29, 2017 10:59 AM

Did this ever open in the USA?

by Anonymousreply 10January 19, 2018 2:09 AM

It should win Best Foreign Language Film but was bewilderingly not forwarded to the pool of 10 semi finalists. best dramatic film about AIDS I've seen (granted, it's a small pool).

by Anonymousreply 11January 19, 2018 2:13 AM

I won't see this film because I avoid award-bait movies like fire but this guy looks so hot. I've always had a thing for men with dumbo ears:

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 12January 19, 2018 2:23 AM

It's a great film. Very touching.

by Anonymousreply 13July 8, 2018 6:35 AM

Wasn’t as good as I was expecting but still great.

by Anonymousreply 14July 8, 2018 8:12 AM

I couldn't go through it again.

by Anonymousreply 15July 8, 2018 9:28 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!