Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

What are your thoughts on Seth MacFarlane's new shoe: Orville?

Here's a clip:

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 199March 20, 2019 4:06 AM

I'm beginning to pray for your horrible sudden death in a car accident.

by Anonymousreply 1May 24, 2017 1:51 AM

He should have traded in his new shoe for several used textbooks.

by Anonymousreply 2May 24, 2017 1:51 AM

When did you become fucking Ed Sullivan?

by Anonymousreply 3May 24, 2017 2:00 AM

His other shoe is called Wilbur.

by Anonymousreply 4May 24, 2017 2:05 AM

Is naming shoes a thing now?

I can't believe John is obsessed with this troll. Better him than me, I suppose.

by Anonymousreply 5May 24, 2017 2:15 AM

I don't think that is correct R4 but you might be Wright

by Anonymousreply 6May 24, 2017 2:16 AM

It'll keep him busy and he can stop sending me dick pics.

by Anonymousreply 7May 24, 2017 2:17 AM

It's nice for a wing-tip.

by Anonymousreply 8May 24, 2017 3:17 AM

I prefer his espadrilles, and for OP/ psycho John, cement boots.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 9May 24, 2017 3:30 AM

[quote]I don't think that is correct [R4] but you might be Wright

Two Wongs don't make a Wright.

That's Chinese, not Thai.

by Anonymousreply 10May 24, 2017 3:35 AM

You know what would make a hilarious comedy for Seth? A story about a failed nursing student living in his mother's basement and selling his used textbooks for coin to pay a gay website membership fee.

by Anonymousreply 11May 24, 2017 4:04 AM

R11, the name of it would be "15 dollah!"

by Anonymousreply 12May 24, 2017 4:17 AM

This one?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 13May 24, 2017 4:29 AM

Oh my goodness! Seth is so dreamy! I wouldn't be surprised if a lot of people have a crush on him. Show looks funny.

by Anonymousreply 14May 24, 2017 4:30 AM

It's as close as were going to get to another Galaxy Quest.

by Anonymousreply 15May 24, 2017 3:59 PM

It got a C- from the AV Club but they still recommend watching it in their Fall guide.

My hunch about it not knowing what it wants to be got confirmed in the article. But I'm sure they'll iron this out if they get a second season.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 16September 9, 2017 11:54 PM

Dominic Patten at Deadline thinks it's a purposeless piece of shit.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 17September 9, 2017 11:57 PM

It doesn't look like it fits.

by Anonymousreply 18September 10, 2017 12:00 AM

I'll watch it, but my expectations are not high.

by Anonymousreply 19September 10, 2017 12:01 AM

OP must be Mr MacFarlane.

by Anonymousreply 20September 10, 2017 12:02 AM

It looks fabulous! Seth MacFarlane and Jon Favreau, a can't miss in my book; but then, I'm a die-hard Sci-Fi nerd, geek, basement dweller . . .

However, I think it will bomb during its first season (the viewing majority won't get it: they're too young to have remembered the original sci-fi classics); yet it will come back with a vengeance in reruns ala Star Trek (original) and Galaxy Quest.

by Anonymousreply 21September 10, 2017 12:07 AM

I do like that redhead, whenever he pops up in shit

by Anonymousreply 22September 10, 2017 12:17 AM

Excrement.

Good God, that guy is SO fucking thirsty to be in front of the camera.

Unfortunately, every single time he's given a shot, he loses his nerve. You can see the life force drain from his face - he's just that self-conscious.

Funny how brave he is acting and singing and slamming others from the safety of his recording booth.

by Anonymousreply 23September 10, 2017 1:10 AM

Looks like there's some digital blurring of his hairline going on.

by Anonymousreply 24September 10, 2017 1:15 AM

I loved the part when the hero was studying for his NCLE exam against great odds.

by Anonymousreply 25September 10, 2017 1:22 AM

Is that Brent Spiner's voice I hear for the robot crew member?

by Anonymousreply 26September 11, 2017 12:15 AM

The red head guy could be fun, just started watching

by Anonymousreply 27September 11, 2017 12:16 AM

I went to a test screening of this months ago, and the main criticism I had was with the tone. Now every review is saying the same thing about the confusing sci-fi and comedic and dramatic tone. And how it should be a half hour, definitely not an hour show.

by Anonymousreply 28September 11, 2017 12:18 AM

R28 Wait, it's an [italic]hour[/italic]-long show?! Jesus Christ.

by Anonymousreply 29September 11, 2017 12:20 AM

I'm wondering what everyone who went on and on about how this, not Discovery, was the real next Star Trek series is going to feel about it being such a steaming turd.

by Anonymousreply 30September 11, 2017 12:43 AM

So... it's not as comedy as advertised.

And it seems like the effects, makup, sets, costumes make it unlikely to be renewed... too expensive for the ratings this is going to get.

So the only question I have so far is will they air all 13 episodes or cut it short?

I'll be watching anyway. It's mildly entertaining.

by Anonymousreply 31September 11, 2017 12:51 AM

I was watching while waiting for the Cowboy game and some lines were really funny.

Didn't see the end of the episode, though. I might tune in again.

by Anonymousreply 32September 11, 2017 1:30 AM

Did Seth put his head in one of those machines that polishes bowling balls?

by Anonymousreply 33September 11, 2017 3:39 AM

Orville Seth go on forever?

by Anonymousreply 34September 11, 2017 3:47 AM

"Deadline thinks it's a purposeless piece of shit. "

Just like OP!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 35September 11, 2017 3:56 AM

I like it. I like that it isn't hitting you over the head with jokes every two seconds. There is nothing wrong with Seth in front of the camera. He's pleasing to look at and his voice is dreamy.

by Anonymousreply 36September 11, 2017 3:58 AM

I see Seth paid is $1.50^^^

by Anonymousreply 37September 11, 2017 4:02 AM

"He's pleasing to look at "

I like balloons, too.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 38September 11, 2017 4:08 AM

I don't know about the shoes, but that rug is definitely not from the future.

by Anonymousreply 39September 11, 2017 4:32 AM

Shockingly good production design. Effects, make-up, props, character and ship design...

by Anonymousreply 40September 11, 2017 4:39 AM

Yeah, as I posted in the other thread, despite the CGI effects not costing all that much nowadays this is still an obviously expensive and technically well done show. Less than stellar ratings aren't going to support the production costs and in this episode, the tone is very uneven between spoof and take it seriously.

by Anonymousreply 41September 11, 2017 4:48 AM

Feels like the show doesn't know if it wants to be a straight up comedy, spoof or serious sci-fi show.

by Anonymousreply 42September 11, 2017 4:52 AM

Yeah, the comedy/serious elements are uneven, but it's pretty to look at. It's kind of absurd to think that hot gal from SHIELD would marry toupeed Seth.

It all seems like his cosplay fantasy taken too far.

Alien robot is like Star Trek's Data in a Doctor Who villain costume.

Reptilian Krill bad guys are standard. We've seen this all before, done better.

And why are the spaceship offices in midtown New York when there would be no room for big ships? It should be out at Cape Canaveral or someplace else.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 43September 11, 2017 5:11 AM

I enjoyed it. I also noted that its executive producers include Star Trek TNG alum. I hope it makes it for a few seasons. It certainly can't be any worse than Discovery.

by Anonymousreply 44September 11, 2017 5:16 AM

Pretty bad and too long; it lost my attention no less than five times. Painful attempts at humour and zero emotional stakes when the baddies came shooting.

Either make it over the top outrageous parody or severely up the drama factor; this in-between shit makes it look like one of those rare awful zero-laughs episodes of American Dad. Just much, [italic]much[/italic] worse because of the cringe factor involved with human actors. I'll still continue to watch it, though, because I want to suport sci-fi. Even though this is more of Seth's vanity project than legitimate sci-fi but whatever. Still, I can imagine it must be awkward on set when the lead is the weakest actor of the bunch.

Garber's top part of the uniform was so short it made his arms seem freakishly long when he was walking. He looked like a fucking Cro-Magnon.

Also, saying this can't be any worse than Discovery when Discovery hasn't even premiered yet is just bizarre.

by Anonymousreply 45September 11, 2017 2:34 PM

It was junk. I saw about 15 minutes. Everyone was running around what looked like an office complex. Then I switched to YouTube to watch the Amy Sedaris compilation someone posted on another thread. That was entertaining. This Wilbur project stuff suuuuuuuuucked.

by Anonymousreply 46September 11, 2017 2:46 PM

The red-headed guy does the voice of Steve on American Dad

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 47September 11, 2017 3:01 PM

Did Al Bundy sell him those shoes?

by Anonymousreply 48September 11, 2017 3:08 PM

You mean sheos, R48.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 49September 11, 2017 3:09 PM

McFarlane is not funny at all. His success is mystifying.

by Anonymousreply 50September 11, 2017 3:16 PM

He surrounds himself with people who actually are funny.

by Anonymousreply 51September 11, 2017 3:20 PM

Dreadful

by Anonymousreply 52September 11, 2017 3:24 PM

It's a shame this guy has to be stuck dressed up as a robot

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 53September 11, 2017 3:24 PM

Indeed, R53. He made my cock take flight.

by Anonymousreply 54September 11, 2017 3:25 PM

[quote]when Discovery hasn't even premiered yet

And that's just it... DIscovery was supposed to premier almost a year ago, but the show runners have fucked it up so bad the network keeps demanding reworks and revisions. I can't blame the network; the franchise has lost its way with alternate timelines, plot holes so big you could gly a Galaxy-class ship through with room for a Constellation class ship alongside, and simply not being able to decide what Star Trek is supposed to be.

by Anonymousreply 55September 11, 2017 3:27 PM

Was that Tara from Friday Night Lights playing his ex wife?

by Anonymousreply 56September 11, 2017 9:06 PM

R55 That reminds me of what William Bibbiani said in one of his movie reviews recently and I agree with his point completely: "I don't care about the whole tortured history of the production, I'm interested in the final product before me."

I'm one of those who's bitched extensively about Discovery's delays [italic]everywhere,[/italic] not just here on DL, but I'm still prepared to suspend my disappointment with that aspect and judge the series with fresh eyes once it premieres. I'm just too excited for ST to finally be on our screens again to dismiss it before seeing it.

by Anonymousreply 57September 11, 2017 9:21 PM

I liked it more than I expected to. I tuned in mainly because I'm a sci-fi fan and there's not a lot new airing right now. If it had aired two weeks later, I wouldn't have bothered since lots of new stuff will be on the air by then.

I'm not especially a Seth MacFarlane fan, but he did a decent job with this. I was bored in some parts, but really enjoyed others. Special effects were good.

Biggest area to work on is finding the balance between the comic tone and the dramatic moments. It's a tightrope to balance and that will likely take some time to get it just right.

I've set my DVR to record the next episode. Not yet ready to commit to the full season but am willing to give it another try.

by Anonymousreply 58September 11, 2017 9:25 PM

Well, a "full season" is only 13 episodes. It's unlikely it'll get a full season pick-up at this point.

Honestly, there's potential in there, and pilots are usually pretty strained and terrible...

by Anonymousreply 59September 12, 2017 1:23 AM

The problem is that it either needs to commit to being more like Galaxy Quest or more serious. It is squatting halfway between earnest and campy.

The pilot was not very good. However, there were glimmers that it might improve.

What they really should have done was make a Galaxy Quest series which would play directly in MacFarlane's sweet spot of parody of SF tropes.

by Anonymousreply 60September 12, 2017 2:09 AM

he's an asshole. how does he get on TV?

by Anonymousreply 61September 12, 2017 2:10 AM

For a television series, the production design and art direction are excellent. I'm in for the long run.

HOWEVER, the role of the ex-wife would benefit with the recasting of a "Linda Fiorentino-type" character: a confident, smart, beautiful bitch; a 'brunette,' preferably.

Bonus points: said replacement's having a "Smokey voice" ala Fiorentino at her best.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 62September 12, 2017 3:01 AM

Agree, R62... and then the current ex-wife can go back to Agents of Shield.

by Anonymousreply 63September 12, 2017 3:10 AM

Not. One. Laugh.

I'm embarrassed for everyone involved.

by Anonymousreply 64September 12, 2017 4:12 AM

The man has innate sex appeal and with all his millions, why doesn't he invest in a better hair line. I swear if his hair was red and he had a big red nose, he'd be a Clarabell the clown double.

by Anonymousreply 65September 12, 2017 4:47 AM

He has a great voice, but no screen presence.

by Anonymousreply 66September 12, 2017 5:14 AM

R64 I was actually prepared to viciously tear it apart but tempered my assessment after reading the somewhat optimistic reviews here. These things just tend to snowball, I guess. But yeah, awful writing all around.

R62 The production values may be high but the CG is just okay. Those ships looked like toys and the weapons seemed to have zero impact at first. It would be nice to at least see those deflectors/shields react to the impact a bit. Also, the Orville looks more like a luxury hotel suite than an exploratory science vessel.

by Anonymousreply 67September 12, 2017 11:24 AM

[quote]The man has innate sex appeal

Right...

by Anonymousreply 68September 12, 2017 11:54 AM

He's so basic looking. There's a guy at every American school that looks like him.

by Anonymousreply 69September 12, 2017 9:59 PM

I would like to congratulate anyone who got through the premier, I don't know how you did it. I'm actually a fan of Family Guy stuff, it's the jerk frat boy in me. This, though, plays like a comedy with the jokes removed.

by Anonymousreply 70September 12, 2017 10:14 PM

It's ok for a pilot. But mainly because of the production value. It's a bit too cutesy for my taste and it feels awkward for the reason r28 mentions. Seth is the kind of guy who looks like a basic (but attractive enough) dork or nerd with no real visual, imposing, or captivating presence. Giving him a lead in something requires him to have co-stars who carry him to a level where his leading role actually shines. And so far I don't see that happening.

Maybe that goes a bit off topic, but there are instances where women (Reese Witherspoon not insisting to play the lead in her own movie adaption of Gone Girl or Selena Gomez not playing the lead in 13 Reasons Why) decide to take a backseat for the greater good of the project. Looking at the pilot I don't know if Seth should have done the same and let someone else play the lead

by Anonymousreply 71September 13, 2017 12:51 AM

[quote]Looking at the pilot I don't know if Seth should have done the same and let someone else play the lead

Because he wanted to star in his own Star Trek fanfic.

by Anonymousreply 72September 13, 2017 12:55 AM

" congratulate anyone who got through the premier, I don't know how you did it."

Multi-tasking; eating, scrolling on my phone, strangling a pet...

by Anonymousreply 73September 13, 2017 2:53 AM

[quote]Looking at the pilot I don't know if Seth should have done the same and let someone else play the lead.

He certainly lacks the gravitas to play someone in position of authority.

by Anonymousreply 74September 13, 2017 3:34 AM

R74, well, that's kinda part of the joke.

by Anonymousreply 75September 13, 2017 2:26 PM

^ Tell that to the cast, then.

by Anonymousreply 76September 13, 2017 6:25 PM

The jokes in that trailer are hacked.

You can't just do Public Domain Star Trek jokes.

"We mean no harm except shooting your father" is the same as "We come in peace, shoot to kill!" from The Firm's "Star Trekkin'" song.

I don't want moldy, old Star Trek jokes we've heard a million times before.

Let me guess: He's dead, Jim?

Is he a doctor, not an ice pick?

Also, the anti-banana ray + salad defense is too similar to Monty Python's "Fresh Fruit Self Defense" lesson.

Come on, MacFarlane -- be original!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 77September 13, 2017 6:49 PM

Oh, shit -- only 35% favorable on Metacritic?

This does NOT bode well ...

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 78September 13, 2017 6:52 PM

Prolific gay science fiction author Samuel Delaney's take (on Facebook):

Last night I watched a show of such calculated mindlessness that I am tempted to call it evil. It’s the new SF show, THE ORVILLE, named after the spaceship that the captain (Seth McFarlaine), his first officer (his estranged wife whom he has left because he found her in bed with a . . . blue alien male!) and a the crew that consists of his best friend (another white male), a single black male drew member, and a white alien woman, and a further handful fly around on various mission to fight some tall white alien enemies in black costumes.

Every situation and every image is a cliche. Nothing in the show aspires to be either original or to represent the best of the modern SF genre--or even the modern world.

You will never go broke underestimating the American public, is what this this makes me think of; only I wonder if someone has decided to extend it to gamble on the whole world as an extension of the this cynical view of the audience. It's about on the level of the old Adam West and Bert Ward Batman and Robin show from the middle sixties. If this show goes on to start getting great has-been actors to play cameo parts of the various villians, I won't be surprised.

Instead of Kirk and Spock seated on the bridge directing the multi ethnic crew, it’s a reunited husband and wife, with the differently talented crew before them to get the ideas of the producers and writers across; there was a plot that was simple enough for me to get, while I watched it, even with my ADD.

This is a show that makes me appreciate all the more the works of my students and friends. For this readership, I don't need to mention them here by name. This is cheaper and campier without the sexual subtext.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 79September 13, 2017 10:14 PM

The negative takes are so over-the-top I have to wonder what the fuck is motivating them.

It wasn't THAT bad.

by Anonymousreply 80September 14, 2017 12:12 AM

i find it impossible not to like Seth Mac Farland. I don't watch his work just a couple of exposures to his appearances on TV. He is so typical of Scottish men.

by Anonymousreply 81September 17, 2017 2:16 AM

Second episode was a pile of crap.

Frankly, it was not nearly as good the episode of Futurama that it copied.

by Anonymousreply 82September 18, 2017 2:55 AM

It really isn't, r36. I listen to a singers & standards radio channel and songs from his album come on every so often, and they stand out like a sore thumb. He just doesn't have any emotion or ability to connect with other people/an audience.

by Anonymousreply 83September 18, 2017 3:29 AM

Along with the obvious toupee, does he also have dentures? That "drunken" smile was... strange.

by Anonymousreply 84September 18, 2017 3:36 AM

I think my DVR was trying to protect me from watching this since it listed the second episode as a repeat and didn't record.

by Anonymousreply 85September 18, 2017 4:19 AM

Stupid football shifted it by 45 minutes... and DVR cut it off. Thankfully I recorded the shows after it, but still... football sucks.

by Anonymousreply 86September 18, 2017 4:41 AM

Not as much as The Orville does.

(The ship looks like an omelet pan with three srows of teeth.)

by Anonymousreply 87September 18, 2017 7:42 AM

Second episode watched, and I'm still enjoying it and I still don't get the hate.

by Anonymousreply 88September 19, 2017 2:22 PM

[quote] I still don't get the hate.

Hate is too strong a word. It's simply not very good.

On a spectrum that runs between Galaxy Quest and Family Guy, it's too close to Family Guy but lacks the latter's tongue-in-cheek humor.

On a spectrum that runs between Star Trek and Galaxy Quest, it's too close to Galaxy Quest but lacks the latter's warmth in satirizing the former.

The show is a mess of bad tropes trying to pass itself off as satire. It has about minutes of show bloated into a 60 minute time slot - it would actually be a tighter and better show if it were only 30 minutes.

by Anonymousreply 89September 19, 2017 2:50 PM

Awful second episode, with hints of potential. The lieutenant in charge downing a shot of tequila humanized her somewhat (even though she's not human). Although: you put a woman in charge, only to show her break down in hysterics as if anyone on a starship isn't trained in exactly this scenario? Bad optics. And the story of the week was one big cliche, although Teresa's table flipping at the end was a stroke of genius.

And then there are the rookie writing mistakes: you can't have someone relieved of duty in the second episode and expect it to have any weight. Similarly, a female has been hatched for the first time? Not that shocking in the second ever episode. Also, aren't they a unisex species? How does he know what a female looks like, then?

I've never said this before, but Seth really needs to Elaine Stritch his eyelids. They're so droopy right now that they suck all the character out of his face. Terrible actor as well. He was smiling even when they were arguing! He's just pretending, not actually acting.

by Anonymousreply 90September 19, 2017 3:58 PM

Let me guess r90, you're "in the biz" in some capacity?

by Anonymousreply 91September 21, 2017 3:19 AM

R91 No, although I've just seen so much TV in my life that it's all starting to look the same so I'm more interested in the making of the sausage rather than the actual sausage these days.

What did [italic]you[/italic] think of the second episode?

by Anonymousreply 92September 21, 2017 11:42 AM

How the ever fuck did this get 16 million viewer's?

by Anonymousreply 93September 21, 2017 12:02 PM

R93 Was that for the premiere? That's a big number but there was a substantial media blitz preceding it.

by Anonymousreply 94September 21, 2017 12:30 PM

How the ever fuck did this get 16 million viewer's? - R93

viewer's what, you dumb shit?

"viewer's" is a singular possessive. The viewer's TV, The viewer's TV selection.

Got it, idiot? There was no need for an apostrophe in a PLURAL NOUN.

Do you even know WHAT an apostrophe is, you shit-for-brains?

Don't give us that "auto-correct" lie, either. It's not "auto-stupid."

Jesus fucking Christ. Go back to community college or get your GED.

I pity anyone who has to work with you in any written communications capacity.

by Anonymousreply 95September 21, 2017 7:22 PM

R95 damaged

by Anonymousreply 96September 22, 2017 12:29 AM

New show tonight, now on its regular day.

by Anonymousreply 97September 22, 2017 12:55 AM

I don't care what anyone says, I like this show.

by Anonymousreply 98September 22, 2017 1:50 AM

well, I certainly wasn’t expecting the episode to end like that

by Anonymousreply 99September 22, 2017 2:01 AM

[quote]I don't care what anyone says, I like this show.

No one is demanding you dislike it.

We may question your taste or judgment, but no one believe you must conform to anyone else's opinion on the matter.

by Anonymousreply 100September 22, 2017 2:15 AM

R100? Hon? I question your personality and social skills.

by Anonymousreply 101September 22, 2017 2:18 AM

[quote][R100]? Hon? I question your personality and social skills.

We now understand why you like the show.

by Anonymousreply 102September 22, 2017 2:24 AM

No you don't. I know you think you do, but you don't. Thanks for showing us your arrogance (again).

by Anonymousreply 103September 22, 2017 2:25 AM

[quote]No you don't. I know you think you do, but you don't. Thanks for showing us your arrogance (again).

You're quite welcome, and thank you for continuing to prove my point.

by Anonymousreply 104September 22, 2017 2:36 AM

Best episode yet. Also the special effects and makeup are amazing.

by Anonymousreply 105September 22, 2017 3:10 AM

I know, right R105?

It's not the Galaxy Quest I expected. But it is the Star Trek I've been missing in my life.

by Anonymousreply 106September 22, 2017 3:23 AM

R76 is a high school dropout.

by Anonymousreply 107September 22, 2017 3:46 AM

See, this is better already.

Although, a male couple forcing their kid to have a sex change? It seems like a current topic, sure, but there are better and more elegant ways of addressing it. Also, [italic]is[/italic] infant sex change really an issue in our world today? And if it's not, can there be a parallel drawn between that and a teenager getting a sex change? I don't think so. This sounds exactly like something a doped up straight white guy would write. It just makes gay people look bad in order to make a point.

I did like how much like classic ST it felt at times when they were debating the issue and then suddenly the first officer says: "Don't start passing out penises just yet." Makes me wonder how different ST would have been if it was allowed to be naughty.

Seth remains the weakest link. And what's with him and cowboys? He looks like the furthest thing from one. Also, didn't his cowboy movie flop?

by Anonymousreply 108September 22, 2017 10:22 AM

It's awful. Whose dick did he suck to pay for that shit?

by Anonymousreply 109September 22, 2017 11:23 AM

They're saying Seth's banging Alara so expect more screentime from her in the future.

by Anonymousreply 110September 22, 2017 11:29 AM

I agree, R88; I don't get the hate, either. This is not some lofty attempt at SciFi, nor is it a raucous comedy geared at reaching millennials, Xers, or any generation specifically. It's just another new show that is, if the reports of millions of viewers are correct, reaching an audience. It's only two (or three? I didn't see that it was moving to Thursdays, but hopefully my DVR did, which will probably be better for the show so it doesn't have to compete with football, 60 Minutes, or the latest costume drama on HBO) episodes in, and worthy of giving a chance to find a voice. I like that it's tongue-in-cheek with a nod to 21st century tropes. Thank man-in-sky that we now live in a media world where no show has to score huge ratings to live on; half or more of what we now consider "classics" has suffered cancellation... including TOS.

by Anonymousreply 111September 22, 2017 2:57 PM

[bold]The Critics Must Be Crazy: Seth MacFarlane's 'The Orville' Captures The Spirit Of 'Star Trek'[/bold]

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 112September 22, 2017 4:13 PM

[bold]In its best episode yet, The Orville goes to trial for a baby's happiness [/bold]

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 113September 22, 2017 4:14 PM

So far it's getting better with each new episode.

by Anonymousreply 114September 22, 2017 4:43 PM

Tranny alien? I'm out.

by Anonymousreply 115September 22, 2017 10:54 PM

R115, you're just an idiot. We don't care.

by Anonymousreply 116September 23, 2017 12:52 AM

You're just a simpering cunt crumb, R116. Nobody cares.

by Anonymousreply 117September 23, 2017 1:14 AM

I can't believe anyone would spend an hour focused on this network nonsense.

by Anonymousreply 118September 23, 2017 1:45 AM

Trash, it's terrible but it dosen't surprise me trumps america loves this shit.

by Anonymousreply 119September 23, 2017 2:04 AM

Oh fuck off, R119. This show is the opposite of "Trump's America" you idiot troll.

by Anonymousreply 120September 23, 2017 5:32 AM

R119, are you really that fucking stupid?

by Anonymousreply 121September 23, 2017 6:58 AM

I wouldn't fuck this show, and I wouldn't kill it--but I would marry it. Like one of the reviews above said, it's charming.

Honestly it's got that goofy, earnest, American optimism that remains all around us but we seldom see reflected on the screen anymore . . . with the nonstop dueling portrayals of Donald Trump's version of America and (thank Baby Jeebus) Rachel Maddow's version of Donald Trump's version of America.

I'll look forward to seeing it all together in a binge at some point.

by Anonymousreply 122September 23, 2017 1:47 PM

Love this show! The pilot was mediocre, but episode two and especially three have shown great improvement. Seth's writing is stronger than his acting, but it's a very fun and fast 42 minutes.

I'm hoping for a 2nd season, although ratings plummeted when it moved to Thursday night behind Gotham.

(The Gotham premiere was not great- hope it gets back to the glory it reached in its fantastic third season.)

by Anonymousreply 123September 23, 2017 2:03 PM

Some say its ratings are going to get savaged once the fall cable sitcoms start airing. Is there any truth to that?

by Anonymousreply 124September 23, 2017 2:08 PM

The sex change baby episode was hamfisted, and wrong on 100 levels.

by Anonymousreply 125September 23, 2017 11:29 PM

The ratings have already collapsed by the third ep, R124. The pilot got a 2.7, the second ep got a 2.2 (both airing behind Sunday Football) and the third ep dropped to a 1.1 in its regular timeslot on Thursdays behind Gotham. (Gotham score a 1.0.)

That's a crazy drop; the millions of viewers went from 16 million for the pilot to just over 4 million by the third ep.

It will face even stiffer competition going up against Scandal, Will & Grace and TNF on CBS.

by Anonymousreply 126September 24, 2017 12:30 AM

R126 Thanks for replying, that's very interesting. And of course I meant network sitcoms, not cable sitcoms. I'm not from the US so I get confused by all this TV terminology sometimes.

I'm already nervous for Discovery. It cost a fortune and there's no way it will have good ratings on yet another streaming service. But I guess they measure success with a different metric there, i.e. they also take into account the number of new subscribers.

by Anonymousreply 127September 24, 2017 12:40 AM

Or-ful.

by Anonymousreply 128September 24, 2017 12:42 AM

R127, Discovery will air the pilot episode this Sunday on CBS behind football. After that the episodes will only be available on the CBS All Access app; I pay for the commercial-free version of the app and like it. CBS did the same thing with The Good Wife spinoff, The Good Fight, last year and from what I gather it was successful.

As you mentioned, it's less about how many views each ep of Discovery gets and more about how many subscribers they gain. You can get a week free before it automatically kicks in on monthly renewal. If you only want to watch Discovery I guess you could wait until all the episodes have become available, sign up for your free week, binge all the episodes in that week and then cancel before the membership kicks in.

I don't mind paying for (commercial-free) versions of apps. It's like getting to choose your cable package a la carte, which is something many customers complain they can't do.

by Anonymousreply 129September 24, 2017 12:54 AM

Discovery has the added bonus of the international partnership with Netflix. That basically paid for the entire production. If Netflix stays happy, CBS stays happy.

For all the people bitching about All-Access, there's no way the show would look as good if they were on regular broadcast TV.

by Anonymousreply 130September 24, 2017 1:47 AM

R130, I'm not paying for a streaming service for just one show.

If it's on Netflix or Hulu I'll watch.

by Anonymousreply 131September 24, 2017 5:16 AM

Someone I know worked on the pilot and said that Seth is a dick. Sullen and unfriendly.

by Anonymousreply 132September 24, 2017 5:30 AM

Not a shock.

But each episode is getting better. I'm liking it.

by Anonymousreply 133September 25, 2017 12:07 AM

Fox's "The Orville" is MacFarlane's "spoof" of Star Trek, except it's kind of sweetly humorous, exceptionally well written and produced, and the last episode dealt with a societal issue VERY much like the original Star Trek series did. Though it has no connection to him, I feel Gene Roddenberry would easily have accepted the episode in 1966-69.

Tonight's CBS broadcast premier of "Star Trek: Discovery" was over-wrought, badly referential and very dark. While it somewhat resembles one of the recent Star Trek movies, it feels very removed from the original series, even though it’s under Roddenberry’s name. And you have to subscribe to CBS All Access in order to watch any more episodes. No thanks.

by Anonymousreply 134September 25, 2017 6:19 AM

[quote]exceptionally well written

Uh, what the what now? Societal issues are being dealt with on the level of a (severely stoned) straight white university freshman. Zero finesse.

Discovery just blew this out of the water last night. Phasered out of existence. Ejected into space, if you will.

by Anonymousreply 135September 25, 2017 12:53 PM

Not even close to reality, R135.

by Anonymousreply 136September 25, 2017 2:09 PM

New Episode Tonight!

by Anonymousreply 137September 28, 2017 5:57 PM

Aside from a few mistakes or stupid things (continuity, some dumb things like the two button elevator with a button for up and down but none for the level they were on)... another good episode. I'm willing to give it time to lose the rough edges and find its groove. I'm really liking it and looking forward to it every week. And this week's episode had several laugh-out-loud moments.

by Anonymousreply 138September 29, 2017 2:27 AM

[quote]Fox's "The Orville" is MacFarlane's "spoof" of Star Trek, except it's kind of sweetly humorous, exceptionally well written and produced, and the last episode dealt with a societal issue VERY much like the original Star Trek series did

"For the World Is Hollow and I Have Touched the Sky" did it much better.

There is just something wrong with the pacing in these episodes. The ending climax is always rushed and rolls out a cliche or deus ex machina.

As for "exceptionally well written" - Galaxy Quest was sweetly humorous and well written. This show will always be compared to that superior spoof and suffer from that comparison.

by Anonymousreply 139September 29, 2017 2:38 AM

The one thing I didn't buy is when the sky opened up, the people should have been TERRIFIED. I understand why they didn't go there, but that didn't seem "realistic" (I know I know, it's sci-fi, shut up). But then, given the plot and scenario, they really needed a minimum of 90 minutes for it to play out properly. I guess they did a decent job cramming that much into just one hour.

by Anonymousreply 140September 29, 2017 5:11 AM

Another corny message with all the depth of an after-school special. Too bad we live in a theo-fascist government just as corrupt as the planet/ship's fictional one.

by Anonymousreply 141September 29, 2017 5:59 AM

Yeah, that storyline was pretty cliched, wasn't it? It's that familiar episode of ST you do when you don't want to splurge on the expensive set design. Was that the building from La La Land?!

One of the problems I have with this show was demonstrated perfectly by the First Officer when she said: "Let's check it out" with the same enthusiasm of someone suggesting a visit to the restaurant they just came across. The actors themselves don't believe in their roles as space explorers and that translates into their acting. They seem to be cringing their way to the paycheck. And the A-list guest stars are just jarring.

Seth continues to have a tragically unexpressive face.

by Anonymousreply 142September 29, 2017 2:04 PM

Liam Neeson LITERALLY phone it in!

Did he owe someone a favor, or just want another $100,000 in five minutes?

by Anonymousreply 143September 29, 2017 9:03 PM

[quote]Did he owe someone a favor,

Based on the random people MacFarlane gets for Family Guy, it seems like people are happy to do guest spots. Neeson has done three.

by Anonymousreply 144September 30, 2017 4:07 AM

There already was a good ersatz [italic]Star Trek[/italic]: it was called [italic]GalaxyQuest[/italic].

by Anonymousreply 145September 30, 2017 4:11 AM

Just finished binge watching the first three episodes.

So far the writing and acting quality exceeds that of any TNG, DS9 or Voyager episode, so I'd say this show has legs.

by Anonymousreply 146October 1, 2017 1:44 AM

R146, that's actually a good point. Keep in mind that TNG especially was pretty terrible to start. The premier episodes were actively terrible. It wasn't until season 3 that it really found its footing, imho, and a LOT of the episodes didn't age well and are difficult to watch today.

by Anonymousreply 147October 1, 2017 2:23 AM

What other shows would casually toss out a quote from Emerson?

by Anonymousreply 148October 1, 2017 5:58 AM

The show went from terrible to pretty decent. I like the more earnest drama moments, because they are unexpected for a Seth McFarlane show.

by Anonymousreply 149October 1, 2017 7:00 AM

A poor mans version of Galaxy Quest

by Anonymousreply 150October 1, 2017 7:04 AM

Those of you comparing it to Galaxy Quest should stop. It's not trying to be Galaxy Quest, which was a funny spoof.

by Anonymousreply 151October 1, 2017 12:30 PM

I just caught the 1st 4 episodes on Hulu finally.

Not horrible but ...

As others have said, high production values for TV. Definitely not a comedy though I chuckled a few times.

McFarlane is fine though when I really thought about it, I don't think I've ever seen him in something, in person, that I thought he was good in. He has great voice as others said, I'm just not sure live work will ever be his thing.

The robot costume is ridiculous. If they were trying to go campy I could see it, but I don't think that is the intent. I've seen better costumes on Baker era Doctor Who episodes.

I agree with the critical consensus. C or C+. The only thing I would add (in its favor) is that we all should go back and watch seasons 1-3 of TNG and 1-2 of DS9. Orville is far better IMHO. Just needs time to hit its stride perhaps.

by Anonymousreply 152October 1, 2017 3:02 PM

[quote][R146], that's actually a good point. Keep in mind that TNG especially was pretty terrible to start. The premier episodes were actively terrible. It wasn't until season 3 that it really found its footing, imho, and a LOT of the episodes didn't age well and are difficult to watch today.

The difference between TNG and this is that TNG had a large built-in fanbase that was desperate and hungry for a show after decades of waiting. That hunger has been modesty satiated and/or alienated.

While it may be moderately entertaining to the average person, it's not going to be to hardcore science fiction fans or Trek fans who've seen it and WILL compare it to Galaxy Quest.

Don't underestimate the anger of burned trekkies. They'll cut a bitch.

The best part about this debate is that the answer is knowable and will become apparent very soon when a trend on ratings become available. It doesn't matter what the critics, professional or trekkies, think. The only thing that matters is whether it appeals to a sufficient large audience to keep it alive. We're long past the point where the opinions of critics matters. People who are going to sample it HAVE sampled it and will make up their own minds.

by Anonymousreply 153October 1, 2017 3:22 PM

I wonder if Seth McFarlane has enough power to keep this show on air for at least a season? I mean the TV station execs must have some sort of bond and trust with Seth to greenlight this in the first place, right?

by Anonymousreply 154October 1, 2017 5:08 PM

The ratings aren't terrible R154 and the show is in a rough time slot right now. They will give him the year to turn it around.

by Anonymousreply 155October 1, 2017 8:34 PM

"They will give him the year to turn it around. "

Um, they've already filmed season one.

by Anonymousreply 156October 2, 2017 8:40 PM

Everyone keeps mentioning high production values but again, the rooms on that ship look like hotel suites. And everything is lighted the same way, i.e. to within an inch of its life. No nuance to convey the character's depression at the beginning of the last episode, for example. The space battles look horrible as well; weapons seem to have zero impact... until they do and they destroy the whole ship.

[quote]The robot costume is ridiculous. If they were trying to go campy I could see it, but I don't think that is the intent. I've seen better costumes on Baker era Doctor Who episodes.

I forgot to comment on that earlier and it's what bugged me the most. It was really jarring in motion, right? When the android moved, you could see it's just a person wearing shiny pants. And of course, you could even spot him inhaling at one point. The fibre fingers were nice, though. They instantly reminded me of fibrofingered mug-cradling fraus DL likes to make fun of.

by Anonymousreply 157October 2, 2017 8:54 PM

Last week's episode was okay and this one was actually pretty good. The jokes landed and the opening with the eating competition was hilarious. I love Discovery but I'm warming up to Orville as well.

Though it was odd watching Charlize Theron on TV after seeing her in Atomic Blonde earlier this year. I thought it was considered a big deal whenever movie stars "descend" to television?

by Anonymousreply 158October 13, 2017 4:11 PM

Still hate-watching. Episode 7 was so convoluted in its (again) ham-fisted "message."

Earthlike world is run by 'American Idol' style up and down votes. People get jailed for being unpopular. What to do when one of the crewmen gets caught misbehaving? Snag a ditzy millennial barrista as an influencer, then flood their media with 'fake news' to rig an 'election.'

Pro-Trump or anti-social media? Both!

And stupid.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 159October 27, 2017 4:17 AM

It used to be, but TV is so much better now that it's not anymore.

by Anonymousreply 160October 27, 2017 4:46 AM

R159 I was looking forward to finally seeing this episode after a two-week break and your post made me apprehensive already. Well, I couldn't get past the 10-minute mark. What a blatant and shameless ripoff of the Black Mirror episode Nosedive that aired just last year AND the Black Mirror episode Fifteen Million Merits from 2011 AND the Black Mirror episode The Waldo Moment from 2013; all rolled into one plagiaristic package. Listen, I know shows borrow from each other now and then but this is simply inexcusable for a show in its first season.

Also, did you hear the android explain at the beginning that this planet bears a striking similarity to the 21st century Earth? Isn't that just convenient, expenses-wise? Everything looks the same except for that goofy hat that only Alara was forced to wear.

Didn't this show benefit from a huge media blitz before it started? So why the hell then does it look like it was made for pennies and that they're cutting corners wherever they can?!

by Anonymousreply 161October 27, 2017 11:48 AM

Yes, total theft of 'Black Mirror.'

"that goofy hat that only Alara was forced to wear."

Which will now trend among clueless millennios.

by Anonymousreply 162October 27, 2017 5:43 PM

Renewed.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 163November 2, 2017 8:14 PM

I just can't with kiddies on StarTrek so I couldn't finish the episode. Anyone saw it in full?

by Anonymousreply 164November 3, 2017 4:14 PM

It was awful. And so is the latest oen!

Rob Lowe plays the horny blue alien who fucked McFarlane's wife! Again, we get half an hour of McF being an ass.

Then, Blue Rob's pheromones make McF and his ex-wife horny for him! He's Insta-Gay!

Rob's Love potion #9 also turns two warring alien dudes Gay!

Instagay! So funny! homosexuality is funny! Get it! Hilar!

by Anonymousreply 165November 10, 2017 4:09 AM

Some found this episode to be problematic (alien with roofie powers!), especially in the current climate, but I thought it was pretty funny. Seth having sex with Rob Lowe makes up for it, I think.

However, the Yaphit shit with the Doctor was inexcusable and I can't believe they used sexual harassment at work as a joke. And he's been pestering her from the very first episode! That definitely left a bad taste in my mouth.

by Anonymousreply 166November 13, 2017 3:08 PM

R165 Oh, I hadn't even considered they were using homosexuality as a joke as I'd like to give Seth the benefit of the doubt, as much as I can't stand the sight of him. But you're right, that's definitely how it must have been interpreted by its core audience.

Contrast that with the first kiss between two gay men on Discovery last night that was done so sweetly, and then tell me again this is real Star Trek.

by Anonymousreply 167November 13, 2017 3:12 PM

Seth is a comedian writer and performer first. So everything is interpreted as "that's supposed to be funny" first. It's also funny that he resented and hated his wife for cheating on him and now being all giddy about hooking up with the guy he hated previously for cheating with his wife. You could say that the show pointed out that Seth's character was an ass to his ex-wife not considering that she didn't cheat on purpose and was just sort of under the Alien's pheromone spell (which, apparently the general public doesn't know is a thing at that time the show takes place).

by Anonymousreply 168November 13, 2017 3:27 PM

It's actually a pretty decent show when it isn't reflecting MacFarlane's sensibilities (or lack of them). Too many "he's a dick" references, for example. However, it actually has decent Star Trek-themed science fictional stories at its core.

by Anonymousreply 169November 13, 2017 3:36 PM

I thought the episode before the latest one was the best with the doctor and her son stranded on a strange planet with that sentinent AI robot.

by Anonymousreply 170November 13, 2017 3:42 PM

Sorry, sons

by Anonymousreply 171November 13, 2017 3:42 PM

Shitfest in Space.

by Anonymousreply 172November 13, 2017 7:50 PM

I think Isaac the robot is my favorite because he looks down on the rest of the crew and has no emotion.

by Anonymousreply 173November 13, 2017 10:27 PM

from episode 11:

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 174December 1, 2017 4:43 AM

R132 You'd be sullen too if you a million dollars riding on your shoulders.

Think about poor Hillary. She suffered a couple of catatonic strokes during that stressful election. I was surprised she didn't collapse and die on the hustings.

by Anonymousreply 175December 1, 2017 4:57 AM

R175 = obsessed Trumpcunt, inserting his bilious hatred of Clinton into every fucking thread.

Die, asscunt.

by Anonymousreply 176December 1, 2017 7:16 AM

S1 E12: Mad Idolatry: Seth writes a script about the stupidity of religion (admirable) with the subtlety of a sledgehammer.

He also tries to once again pose his character as some sort of wronged sex symbol.

Trite C-.

by Anonymousreply 177December 8, 2017 3:32 AM

R177 I like a bit of religion bashing as much as the next guy but that sounds awful. I just can't bring myself to finish this series. One of the great disappointments of 2017 when it comes to TV shows.

by Anonymousreply 178December 23, 2017 10:48 AM

I gave up midway throught the second episode. I was wiling to give it a chance, but the main "romantic" storyline between plastic Seth and the blonde leatherface was a snoozer.

by Anonymousreply 179January 13, 2018 9:57 PM

It's got a lot going for it, and MacFarlane is even tolerable for the most part. 1000x better than that Star Trek:Discovery abortion.

by Anonymousreply 180January 14, 2018 11:04 AM

Renewed for season two!

I don't care what you kvetching haters say, I love the show in spite of its flaws, and look forward to next season.

by Anonymousreply 181January 14, 2018 5:43 PM

Semi-related - it was announced on Twitter over the weekend by both Seth and Neil deGrasse Tyson that there will be a second season of "Cosmos"

by Anonymousreply 182January 15, 2018 5:50 AM

Say what you will about MacFarlane, he puts money behind his convictions regarding promoting science and secularism. I dig that.

by Anonymousreply 183January 15, 2018 12:32 PM

R181 Already announced in November, at R163.

R182 I love "Cosmos" so that makes me happy. Like R183 says, he's putting money into promoting science and secularism but I just can't give him a pass when he makes an unwatchable show (in my view). I'm sure the second season of Orville will be better.

by Anonymousreply 184January 15, 2018 1:50 PM

The show is anything but unwatchable. It's not perfect by any means, but it's fun and interesting.

by Anonymousreply 185January 15, 2018 3:31 PM

Binge watching the show right now. My feelings toward this show are quite mixed so far. At this point I am not finding a good reason to watch it next season. The sci-fi or the comedy aspect is not new or surprising in any way, so not a good reason to stay for that. The show just doesn't bring anything new to the table.

There is a unique opportunity for a sci-fi comedy. Comedy can handle topics in a way that drama cannot on US-TV. But the show hasn't really taken this unique advantage and run with it.

A couple more superficial observations: Yes, McFarlane sucks as actor. He is dragging the show down. The light on the ship is too bright. Dimming the light just a bit would vastly improve the mood and bring some nuances to the set. Even TNG back in the 80s was more careful with the light. And finally: J Lee is pure eye candy. But he chose a stupid stage name in the age of Google.

by Anonymousreply 186January 27, 2018 9:51 PM

Shoe needs Febreze already.

by Anonymousreply 187January 27, 2018 9:59 PM

Season 2 trailer.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 188July 22, 2018 4:59 PM

Anyone watching?

by Anonymousreply 189February 15, 2019 3:22 AM

How in the hell does he do The Orville, Family Guy, AND American Dad?!? When does the guy sleep?!?

by Anonymousreply 190February 15, 2019 3:24 AM

Seth hasn’t written for Family Guy since 2010 and only produces and contributes voices for American Dad, I don’t think he’s creatively been behind American Dad since maybe Season 1

by Anonymousreply 191February 15, 2019 3:36 AM

R191 And, surprise surprise, peak American Dad was the only truly great thing he’s ever been involved in.

by Anonymousreply 192March 18, 2019 9:33 AM

I am surprised how mature the show is. I thought with McFarne involved it would be one poop / fart / puke joke after the other.

by Anonymousreply 193March 18, 2019 10:29 AM

Sorry, McFarlane

by Anonymousreply 194March 18, 2019 10:29 AM

the recent (S2 ep8/9?) big spaceship battle was impressive but cluttered.

by Anonymousreply 195March 18, 2019 6:09 PM

R191, he does voices for all the shows. It's not like he's not involved.

by Anonymousreply 196March 20, 2019 3:38 AM

I've deleted it from my recording queue. Every episode was coming off as an Afterschool Special.

by Anonymousreply 197March 20, 2019 4:02 AM

The show tries too hard to mimic Star Trek: TNG, to a fault.

by Anonymousreply 198March 20, 2019 4:04 AM

I thought the last few episodes were good... the Isaac two-parter and the one after that.

by Anonymousreply 199March 20, 2019 4:06 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!