Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Costco Addict Here! Anyone Else? What's Your Secret Addiction?

i need to stay away from this store I walk in intending to buy three items, and always leave with over 50. I love Costco. However, my wallet is feeling the effects?

by Anonymousreply 256October 25, 2018 4:53 PM

How would we know if your wallet is feeling the effects? Or do you just upspeak?

by Anonymousreply 1May 23, 2017 6:20 PM

I've never been in a Costco, and I say that with regret because I hear how great it is.

by Anonymousreply 2May 23, 2017 6:22 PM

For basics, it is very economical. Not so good if you are and impulse buyer.

by Anonymousreply 3May 23, 2017 6:23 PM

Ancient Chinese Secret?

Why is this a secret?

Why is the question I keep asking myself?

by Anonymousreply 4May 23, 2017 6:25 PM

We don't have them around here but they sound great.

by Anonymousreply 5May 23, 2017 6:28 PM

[quote]Not so good if you are and impulse buyer.

Then I better continue to avoid it, because my home is full of "As Seen on TV" crap.

by Anonymousreply 6May 23, 2017 6:51 PM

R6 lol

by Anonymousreply 7May 23, 2017 6:57 PM

I am only a compulsive shopper at Costco. Sometimes they just have amazing deals. Their prices are great too. But how many pounds of cheese do I really need??

by Anonymousreply 8May 23, 2017 6:58 PM

I bought a flat of mangos recently, then wondered WTF. I ate all of them and enjoyed every bite, so it was money well spent.

by Anonymousreply 9May 23, 2017 8:22 PM

Jeez, and I thought my Mom loved Costco. Sometimes I'll tag along on a weekend and stock up on bulk foods, but for my Mom, its like a trip to the mall in the 1980s. She loves it

by Anonymousreply 10May 23, 2017 8:27 PM

I buy my coffee there. Their Kirkland Decaf by Starbucks is delicious, it taste better than the caffeinated. I also get detergent and bleach there as well as white vinegar and olive oil. Their balsamic vinegar is delicious. I use it to make my balsamic vinaigrette.

by Anonymousreply 11May 23, 2017 8:29 PM

I only buy razor blades and vitamins at Costco. (I have trained myself to stay away from the five-pound tubs of Kirkland cashews.) I live in a very small apartment and have no place to store 48 rolls of paper towels or a flat of mangoes.

by Anonymousreply 12May 23, 2017 8:43 PM

I need to train myself to stay away from Kirkland in-shell pistachios

by Anonymousreply 13May 23, 2017 9:04 PM

R13 I love Costco nuts too.

by Anonymousreply 14May 23, 2017 9:08 PM

Costco shopping trips are quite entertaining. I always manage to fill my cart to the brim, and sometimes I have to load up my car and go in for a second round.

It sucks when you have to buy beverages, toilet paper, and paper towel all at once. That's a full cart before you've bought anything to eat.

by Anonymousreply 15May 23, 2017 9:13 PM

Last time, I went to CostCo I brought sheets and aspirin. The sheets smelled so bad, a horrible chemical odor, I had to return them. The smell and the ordeal gave me a headache, so I had the large bottle of pills to get me through it.

by Anonymousreply 16May 23, 2017 9:18 PM

R16 too funny. Got a great visual.

by Anonymousreply 17May 23, 2017 9:21 PM

Oh I loooove my Costco sheets. I sprung for the nicer ones.

I also love having a closet full of fresh hand towels and wash cloths from Costco.

And their Japanese green tea.

by Anonymousreply 18May 23, 2017 9:28 PM

I tried Costco for a year but quit. I don't need a gallon of mayonnaise and I didn't think the prices were that good

by Anonymousreply 19May 23, 2017 9:35 PM

I had a membership for a year and just didn't love it. I don't need that much of anything and found the warehouse setting to be overcrowded and depressing. I know lots of people love it but between the regular supermarkets and Trader Joe's etc. I do just fine.

by Anonymousreply 20May 23, 2017 9:38 PM

R20, I like Costco for produce and also for baking/cooking supplies. I love their organic sugar, and the price is less than anywhere else. Their nuts and spices are good and priced well, and I love their olive oil.

by Anonymousreply 21May 23, 2017 10:06 PM

Their brand of vanilla was so bad, I threw it out.

by Anonymousreply 22May 23, 2017 10:08 PM

They have very good deals on eggs and bread. There's another discount food warehouse store near mine, Winco, where I go to get smaller quantities of things. The bread costs double what it is at Costco.

They have really good deals on spices, which are ridiculously expensive at the market. Oatmeal and cereal is priced really good too. If it's just you, anything that doesn't spoil quickly, like rice, soymilk, rice milk or chicken broth is a good deal.

by Anonymousreply 23May 23, 2017 10:09 PM

They always have the best gasoline prices in the area, PLUS you can get a hefty rebate (4%) when you use their credit card at their gas station (or any other gas station, for that matter.) You also get a great rebate on travel. I don't really shop all that much at Costco, but last year my rebate was over $500 because I charged two expensive trips on their credit card. And with the new card, unlike the old AmEx one, you can get your rebate in cash instead of having to spend it at Costco.

by Anonymousreply 24May 23, 2017 10:20 PM

The gas prices are a major perk. I also get my car insurance through them and the premium is much lower than Liberty Mutual for the same coverage. (And they're just as professional when you have a claim.) Sometimes I just like buying a lot of something for the feeling of knowing I won't have to buy it again for a long time.

But their pharmacies are terrible.

by Anonymousreply 25May 23, 2017 10:30 PM

I'm tired of hearing from Kirkland whores how great CostCo is.

by Anonymousreply 26May 23, 2017 10:31 PM

Then don't open threads like this one, R26. No one cares what you're tired of.

by Anonymousreply 27May 23, 2017 10:37 PM

R26 ok stay off the thread

by Anonymousreply 28May 23, 2017 10:37 PM

Go find tea, R26. It's better than your whine.

by Anonymousreply 29May 23, 2017 10:38 PM

From Season 1 of Modern Family; trip to Costco. "I'm big, I'm not fancy, and I dare you to not like me".

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 30May 23, 2017 10:39 PM

R25, why are the pharmacies terrible? I know Consumer Reports has said for years they're the cheapest. They probably don't carry every drug, but I think you can order a lot of it.

by Anonymousreply 31May 23, 2017 11:21 PM

I'm with R20, just don't have the Costco love so many do but I think a lot of it is I'm a single person and really not much of a consumer so these gigantic tubs and crates of things aren't workable. The items at their food court are gross.

by Anonymousreply 32May 23, 2017 11:27 PM

I like the rectangular milk.

I bought a Surface tablet there in order to get the Costco concierge service, which is supposed to be good if you happen to need it.

The meat counter is always well stocked.

Nothing else there really thrills me.

by Anonymousreply 33May 23, 2017 11:34 PM

The produce is excellent, particularly the avocados, even if you have to buy a big bag of them.

by Anonymousreply 34May 23, 2017 11:38 PM

Actually, Sam's Club gas prices beat Costco's, Walmart ownership regardless..

by Anonymousreply 35May 23, 2017 11:52 PM

What are they really checking for at the exit when they look at your receipt and glance over your stuff? That level of superficial snooping doesn't really seem enough to prevent loss from a serious shoplifter/grifter.

by Anonymousreply 36May 24, 2017 12:04 AM

I bought a Dyson vacuum cleaner there today which was 140 dollars cheaper than if I bought it at Best Buy.

by Anonymousreply 37May 24, 2017 12:19 AM

[quote]What's Your Secret Addiction?

Dish queen.

by Anonymousreply 38May 24, 2017 12:19 AM

R36 That's what I want to know when I have 650 items in my cart.

by Anonymousreply 39May 24, 2017 12:21 AM

I am involved in animal rescue, and go a LOT of dog food (at least 50 lbs a week). We buy the Costco food (regular and reduced ingredient) food for our guys.

We also use the coffee, guac, fresh fruit, and computer printer ink regularly. The key for me us to use a shopping list and only buy one item per trip that was not on the list.

by Anonymousreply 40May 24, 2017 12:24 AM

I've been going there for years. I love that they pay their employees well. We bought our last two cars using Costco, I will never buy a car on my own again - it was painless.

by Anonymousreply 41May 24, 2017 12:24 AM

I like Costco, but I'm a BJ's Wholesale man myself.

by Anonymousreply 42May 24, 2017 12:59 AM

At one time, they had cappuccino muffins in their bakery. I miss them.

Yes, I know I type fat.

by Anonymousreply 43May 24, 2017 1:11 AM

BJ's is a rip off.

by Anonymousreply 44May 24, 2017 1:15 AM

How do you buy a car through Costco?

by Anonymousreply 45May 24, 2017 1:17 AM

R45 buying a car from Costco is a great deal. Easy as pie! Go on their website.

by Anonymousreply 46May 24, 2017 1:23 AM

R27, R28 and R29 don't understand how the DL works. Bitching about threads in those threads is one of the reasons we exist. We like it. If that doesn't work for you girls then you don't belong here.

by Anonymousreply 47May 24, 2017 1:30 AM

r45, you email them (look on their website) with the make of the car you are interested in, then they send an auto email back to you telling you what dealership to call or email. The dealership sets you up with an appt. and you test drive the cars. We checked out Honda, Toyota and Subaru before settling on a car. Once you decide on the car and accessories, the price is pre-negotiated so there is no haggling. I hate haggling and am not good at it so I can get a good price without hassle.

We paid cash, so all we had to focus on was what kind of car and what options we wanted.

by Anonymousreply 48May 24, 2017 2:01 AM

I didn't know that you could get Auto Insurance through Costco.

Anyway, the problem with Costco is that each Costco has different merchandise, often catered to the surrounding population. I have no less than 8 Costcos within 20 minutes from me and they all carry specific items that I can only get at only one of the locations so I'm often making different trips to different ones each time I need to go.

As already mentioned, Produce, Meat, and Spices are great. I don't know why someone complained about their Vanilla as it's considered to be very good vanilla and rated extremely high. The cost though has skyrocketed from $8 a bottle to $24 over the past year.

If you're in the market for a computer/tablet/TV, or pretty much any other electronic, they're also the place to go. Not only are the prices cheap, but the extended warranty you get is well worth it.

I don't know what issue the person above has with the pharmacy. I've never had an issue. One thing I didn't know about their pharmacy is that if your prescription isn't covered by your insurance (or not enough of it is covered) there is a free service you can sign up for that will supplement the additional cost. I've never had to use it but a friend was having difficulty affording her meds and they let her know that anyone was allowed to enroll and it was free.

by Anonymousreply 49May 24, 2017 2:13 AM

Me too Op, me too. Ours is called " Caucasian Disneyland". It is gross, but I love the lime cilantro shrimp.

by Anonymousreply 50May 24, 2017 2:22 AM

I'm the one earlier in the thread who said I'd never been to one: Just curious, do they have like industrial-sized versions of common supermarket products? Like do they sell a drum-sized container of Campbell's soup?

by Anonymousreply 51May 24, 2017 2:23 AM

I bought the coffee and it tasted like shit

by Anonymousreply 52May 24, 2017 2:24 AM

No R51. You don't get drum-size of those items.... you just get like 12 cans for what 8 would cost you in the store.

by Anonymousreply 53May 24, 2017 2:38 AM

R52 - And how often have you tasted shit to know that?

Where I live, we don't have Costco, but have Price Smart, which I believe is just another name in other countries for Costco. The stores are full of Kirkland products. Warehouse, membership and all that. Anyway, one evening just before closing, there were about a dozen construction workers milling about, waiting for the store to close so they could remove an old cooler, and put in a new one. What was interesting, is that they were all speaking English, and appeared to be Americans. It seems, the store actually flies in their own crew from the USA to do major work, rather than depend on local labour. I really don't blame them for doing that - there is a saying down here about doing most things half assed, it's 'doing it, the Tico way'.

Anyway, I noticed, aside from the tubs of Haagen-Daaz ice cream ( : , they also have Kirkland Vodka, at half the price of the other name brand vodkas. In blind taste tests, most people could not discern a difference in vodkas, regardless of price. So rather than buy the horrid local brew, Cacique ( a cane derived rubbing alcohol like liquor), I'll be picking up their vodka from now on. Also, cheddar cheese from Wisconsin is a bargain also - the local cheeses are not as good, and three times the price per ml. Of course, under my bed, are all the Kirkland paper towels, and toilet tissue bought in bulk. Liquid Laundry detergent is another staple of mine bought at Price Smart, in the large container. I never buy any cleaners with fragrance, and I'm glad they have detergent without fragrances.

by Anonymousreply 54May 24, 2017 2:57 AM

It's great for bulk-purchasing cooking ingredients like meat, produce, cheese, spices, eggs. Once I month a spend a weekend cooking and freezing meals, which solves a lot of dinnertime stress. They also have very good prices on wine by the case, and I buy all our vitamins, toothpaste and health-care stuff there.

Once in a while I get crazy and end up with some of those muffins that are about the size of your head. I scarf a few and then take the rest into work. .

by Anonymousreply 55May 24, 2017 3:03 AM

I love Costco but it's not perfect. I boughtseat covers for my old car and I was about to place them on the seat when I read the box which said this might be carcinogenic and that it was against the law to sell them in California. So why would they sell themin the New York? I'm returning them.

by Anonymousreply 56May 24, 2017 3:16 AM

How much of a difference in car prices would you say, R48?

A couple of hundred or maybe thousands??

My mom is looking to buy a new Accord or CRV and I wonder if it's worth the extra step to go through them?

Renting cars through them is also a fanfuckingtastic deal. I recently got a minivan for almost 5 days for $130.00 bucks.

by Anonymousreply 57May 24, 2017 3:25 AM

R56, I had the same thing happen at Rite-Aid. "Impulse" purchase of a backscratcher when I was waiting in-line to pay for my other things. When I left, I read the tag and it had that CA warning (NYer here, too). Returned it immediately.

by Anonymousreply 58May 24, 2017 3:29 AM

[quote] carcinogenic and that it was against the law to sell them in California. So why would they sell themin the New York?

CA has much higher standards than most states do with regards to stuff like that.

by Anonymousreply 59May 24, 2017 4:00 AM

Costco Vodka and Wine are surprisingly rated extremely high.

by Anonymousreply 60May 24, 2017 4:01 AM

[quote] CA has much higher standards than most states

Fixed that for you

by Anonymousreply 61May 24, 2017 4:04 AM

Usually those California warnings are just to alert you to potentially carcinogenic ingredients or components. That doesn't mean they can't be sold there.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 62May 24, 2017 4:26 AM

R42 BJ's is not nationwide, unfortunately. In the west, we just have Sam's and Costco. All of their other membership club chains (Pace, Price Club, PriceSavers, etc.) were swallowed up by one or the other.

by Anonymousreply 63May 24, 2017 4:27 AM

Keep your membership card, even if you don't renew your membership. You can still flash the card to get in the store. They won't know at the front door that it's expired. Then, just walk around and fill up on the free samoles, to your heart's content. You'll never pay and you'll never go hungry again!

by Anonymousreply 64May 24, 2017 4:34 AM

I want to get a membership, but it irks me how they demand to check your receipt before you leave.

by Anonymousreply 65May 24, 2017 4:39 AM

You don't even need your card to get in, R64. You just walk in with someone else and they'll never know.

But I don't even think you need to do that. All you have to do is tell them you're going to the Pharmacy. Apparently non-Members can use it.

by Anonymousreply 66May 24, 2017 4:39 AM

R65 other stores are starting to do that too. Best Buy does it now and so does Fry's.

by Anonymousreply 67May 24, 2017 4:40 AM

R50 I love their shrimp!

by Anonymousreply 68May 24, 2017 4:41 AM

I just want to point out that not only did r40 say "guac", he/she referred to dogs as "guys".

by Anonymousreply 69May 24, 2017 5:28 AM

R40 great point. Stick to the list, and only buy 1 extra item.

by Anonymousreply 70May 24, 2017 5:38 AM

I love you, R69

by Anonymousreply 71May 24, 2017 5:44 AM

Fraus LURVE the Costco food court.

by Anonymousreply 72May 24, 2017 5:48 AM

Costco's brand vodka is actually Grey Goose.

by Anonymousreply 73May 24, 2017 12:21 PM

R54, what country are you from?

by Anonymousreply 74May 24, 2017 2:50 PM

I'm addicted to BJs!

by Anonymousreply 75May 24, 2017 2:51 PM

R47, telling people who do that to fuck off is DL tradition. Maybe you're the one who doesn't belong here.

by Anonymousreply 76May 24, 2017 3:44 PM

I get my egg whites at Costco. They come in a six pack, I stick them in the freezer and pull a carton out as I need it. Summer is gin and tonic time, So I'm buying a large jug of Tanqueray. Once in a long while a friend and I treat ourselves to filet mignon. I can get a great buy there that beats any super market in my area.

by Anonymousreply 77May 24, 2017 4:00 PM

r57, I didn't try and negotiate on my own to know the price difference, but I researched a lot online. A few people said they got a better deal on their own, but they spent a couple of weekends going around to different dealerships and haggling and saved a couple of hundred. I hate doing that and I'm not good at it so I doubt I could get a better deal.

Thank you so much for mentioning the rental car. I need to rent one this summer and you just saved me $100 bucks!!!

by Anonymousreply 78May 24, 2017 4:06 PM

r74, I think he's from Costa Rica.

by Anonymousreply 79May 24, 2017 4:25 PM

You're welcome, R78.

Thanks for the info on the cars as well.

by Anonymousreply 80May 25, 2017 7:09 PM

R80 yes, thank you!

by Anonymousreply 81May 25, 2017 7:23 PM

I loved buying the tuna poke.

They had it every so often. They had one of the ladies randomly shouting "poke! Fresh tuna poke!!!! Flown in from Hawaii overnight!!!"

Is it a seasonal item?

by Anonymousreply 82May 27, 2017 1:16 AM

R82 my Costcos have had it for over a year.

by Anonymousreply 83May 27, 2017 1:21 AM

Costco is great for large families and small businesses, that buy larger quantities anyway. For a single person or couple, it's not so great, unless it's a non-perishable item that you will eventually use up.

by Anonymousreply 84May 27, 2017 7:45 PM

Comedian and actor Josh Peck once claimed on the Today Show that he learned to ride a bike in the aisles at Costco in Hell's Kitchen, but knowing him he was probably kidding.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 85May 27, 2017 7:59 PM

R85 lol

by Anonymousreply 86May 28, 2017 2:33 AM

There's a Costco in Hell's Kitchen?

by Anonymousreply 87May 28, 2017 2:36 AM

R88 how did u know my mom had a Costco in her kitchen?

by Anonymousreply 88May 28, 2017 2:38 AM

LUV the "Adele's" chicken-teriyaki meatballs! These scrumptious morsels are pre-cooked; just heat 'em up in the microwave for a quick snack; or throw 'em in the food processor when making lasagna. (This saves me one step; I mean, why make extra work for myself? I don't have to brown up any meat, dirty another pan - plus they're already seasoned!)

I also use them for spaghetti-and-meatballs for the same reason. (Most importantly, doing so ensures I don't commit the DL faux pas of draining my pasta!)

by Anonymousreply 89May 28, 2017 2:44 AM

I split a Costco membership with a good friend so my annual membership cost is only $28. I am able to recoup my cost when I use the monthly discounts and coupons. I normally buy toothpaste, floss, electric toothbrush replacements, soap, books.

However, I buy most of my groceries from Safeway. I really get good deals with their "Just for You" promotions. It remembers what I buy frequently and then every week Safeway gives me a special discounted price (just for me) for those items. My lifetime savings which Safeway tracks is .now $800+.

by Anonymousreply 90May 28, 2017 3:12 AM

R89 Teriyaki meatballs in spaghetti sauce sounds disgusting.

by Anonymousreply 91May 28, 2017 4:12 AM

R91 I agree. The interesting thing about the referenced meatballs is one word never know, by tasting them, they are teriyaki flavored meatballs. The taste is more Italian herb meatballs.

by Anonymousreply 92May 28, 2017 4:20 AM

Urgh! My keyboard keeps making so many typos!

" . . . one WOULD never know . . . "

by Anonymousreply 93May 28, 2017 4:22 AM

How is the Costco in manhattan?

by Anonymousreply 94May 28, 2017 9:23 AM

When you buy a car through Costco, who does the financing? Do you pre-arrange it with your credit union?

by Anonymousreply 95May 28, 2017 10:06 AM

They just deduct it from your membership fees.

by Anonymousreply 96May 28, 2017 11:11 AM

[quote]They had one of the ladies randomly shouting "poke! Fresh tuna poke!!!! Flown in from Hawaii overnight!!!"

Is this true? They have it flown in every night?

by Anonymousreply 97May 28, 2017 11:13 AM

R95 You don't buy a car from Costco. They just link you to a dealership in your area and you buy from them. It's just like any other car-buying transaction except that the price is pre-negotiated. Other similar services are provided by Consumer Reports, TrueCar, AARP, AAA, credit unions, etc.

by Anonymousreply 98May 28, 2017 5:45 PM

I was just at Costco and picked up a Mini-Fridge which I've been needing to get for awhile. The one I picked up was $99.00 (3.1 CU Feet with separate Freezer) which retails elsewhere for $200.

by Anonymousreply 99May 28, 2017 6:19 PM

You pay cash for the Costco car deals.

by Anonymousreply 100May 28, 2017 6:30 PM

I don't understand the appeal. When you factor in the yearly cost of just shopping there it's not cheaper. The selection of restaurant-quality frozen food is interesting though. The best deal is the hot dog stand outside.

by Anonymousreply 101May 28, 2017 7:26 PM

[quote]When you factor in the yearly cost of just shopping there it's not cheaper.

Not exactly true. Membership fees are currently $55 (they're about to go up). I saved $100 just today (I posted above re: the compact refrigerator). I also rent cars regularly and have saved on average $50 each time I've rented a car.

I shop at Costco once a week and I'd estimate that I save anywhere from $15-20 each trip over what I would be spending in the store.

by Anonymousreply 102May 28, 2017 7:31 PM

Probably not, R97.

But what else are they gonna say? "It's been in our freezer for 2 weeks!"??

It. Must not have sold all that well since its been missing from my local store for quite sometime.

Plus I'm not there everyday so it might be there on days when I don't go shop.

by Anonymousreply 103May 28, 2017 10:54 PM

R100 Shut up.

by Anonymousreply 104May 28, 2017 11:07 PM

As a single person, should I join Costco? I'm not interested in buying or renting a car.

by Anonymousreply 105May 28, 2017 11:16 PM

I buy the Kirkland Canned Chicken Breast. It can be used for multitude of recipes: chicken salad sandwiches, chicken tacos, chicken pot pies, soups, casseroles, green salads, chicken and black bean enchiladas . . . Why, the possibilities are endless!

R105 Yes, join! Load up your pantry with canned goods, household supplies, so you don't have to run to the store so often. Costco also sells a "multi-setting" rice cooker for just $30. In addition to cooking varying types of rice and couscous/quinoa, it steams (veggies!), sautees, simmers, all hands free! Set it and forget it! I use mine all the time.

by Anonymousreply 106May 28, 2017 11:32 PM

I'm single and own a home with pets, r105...Costco is good for me. L

Today I bought ray ban aviators for $100

by Anonymousreply 107May 29, 2017 12:17 AM

One recent thing they've changed which I'm disappointed in.. they used to sell an 18-count of XL eggs for $1.99. They've done away with this and started selling their own brand of eggs, a 24-Count of Large eggs for $3.99. I preferred the XL eggs.

by Anonymousreply 108May 29, 2017 12:28 AM

I can buy large packages of household supplies at Target or Walmart. Trader Joe's sells quality frozen foods at great prices. I just don't see the benefit of joining Costco unless you have a family.

by Anonymousreply 109May 29, 2017 12:37 AM

Your savings at Costco can be remarkable and worth it depending on what you buy. Sometimes the price difference seem negligible but the difference often times adds up.

For instance, I go through a lot of coconut oil. On average a 16 oz jar of organic coconut oil retails for around $8.00. At Costco I get two 43 oz jars for $25. That's a cost savings of over $15.

by Anonymousreply 110May 29, 2017 12:40 AM

There's a really good recipe for chicken chili on the Costco chicken breast can.

by Anonymousreply 111May 29, 2017 12:44 AM

R110, Trader Joe's sells coconut oil at a better price.

by Anonymousreply 112May 29, 2017 12:46 AM

[quote] I just don't see the benefit of joining Costco unless you have a family.

Well, as you can see above, a lot of people have already listed the benefits that work for them without a family. It just depends on what you're looking and what you value in terms of convenience / storage / etc.

[quote]I can buy large packages of household supplies at Target or Walmart.

I guarantee that those items are still less expensive at Costco.

by Anonymousreply 113May 29, 2017 12:46 AM

No, they don't, R112. While their coconut oil is less expensive than the average price, the cost is still more expensive than Costco. Trader Joe's is 16 oz for $5.99. So Costco still works out to over $5 cheaper than Trader Joe's (and the quality of the Costco brand is better).

by Anonymousreply 114May 29, 2017 12:50 AM

In my house it's just me and my partner, but we love our Costco membership. We stock up on nonperishables, such as toilet paper, Kleenex and paper towels, cleaning supplies, little cases of canned Lindsay olives, Campbell's soup and other such items. We also buy car tires and batteries at Costco, along with multipacks of assorted sizes of Duracell batteries. We go through a shitload of mayonnaise, so we buy gallon jars of Best Foods as well, which, if we're lucky, will last us a month.

by Anonymousreply 115May 29, 2017 12:51 AM

If anyone is so concerned that they won't get their money's worth shopping at Costco... just get a membership and try it out for a couple of months. If you haven't earned your membership money back or dissatisfied, then just go in and tell them that and they'll give you your money back.

As someone upthread mentioned, you can really stretch your cost savings by splitting the membership with a friend/family member since they give you two cards with each membership.

by Anonymousreply 116May 29, 2017 12:52 AM

R115 what state are you in? And how much are you paying for car batteries?

by Anonymousreply 117May 29, 2017 12:53 AM

Those "Concerto" grape tomatoes in the 2 lbs. clear plastic boxes! They are $4.99 / box at Costco; however, for the same amount at Safeway, it's more like $7.99! Plus, the Safeway ones are puny in comparison; and Costco's are a more flavorful/sweeter. (The Safeway ones are more on the sour side and kind of mushy. Ick!)

I fill a baggie with the Concerto's and take them to work to snack on throughout the day. Keeps me from making 'bad food choices' (chips, cookies, etc.)

by Anonymousreply 118May 29, 2017 12:54 AM

Here's one thing Target and the other retailers don't do that Costco is known for: as long as you have the original receipt, Costco will take back/refund Costco purchases, not matter what. I know this to be true; I'm a happy customer.

by Anonymousreply 119May 29, 2017 12:59 AM

I also buy Brita Filters when they go on sale at Costco (usually once every 3 months).

Retail price is typically $19 for a 4-pack. Costco sells a 10-pack for $29.00.

by Anonymousreply 120May 29, 2017 1:01 AM

R119 with the exception of TVs and computers. They put an end to that because people were returning 5 year old tvs and computers and getting the full retail price back and upgrading to newer ones, lather, rinse, repeat.

The warranty at Costco is also great on electronics. I think someone mentioned it already above, but they give you an extra year warranty for free.

by Anonymousreply 121May 29, 2017 1:02 AM

I love Costco, but seldom pay attention to the coupons that arrive in my mail, or emails. Should I be paying attention to them? Are they actually on sale, or is it their everyday low price? Is there an actual "coupon" to clip to get a savings?

by Anonymousreply 122May 29, 2017 1:09 AM

No, R122, you don't need to pay attention to them unless you're considering buying something you don't normally purchase and want to see if it's on sale.

I'm the one that was shopping for a compact refrigerator. I rarely look at the ads but decided to look at it yesterday and noticed that they had the one I was looking at on sale (which was $100 less than the normal retail).

Otherwise you don't need to clip them. You used to have to but now the discount is just automatically rolled into the price. And yes, the items do actually go on sale. As I mentioned upthread the Brita Filters go on sale once every three months or so and the discount is just taken off the normal price.

by Anonymousreply 123May 29, 2017 1:17 AM

Another one of my regular purchases is Chia Seeds. A 12-ounce bag from Trader Joe's is $5.00. I get a 32-ounce bag at Costco for $9.00.

by Anonymousreply 124May 29, 2017 1:23 AM

I don't know whether Target & Walmart offer savings comparable to those at Costco, because I don't shop at Target & Walmart. Target has a history of contributing to the campaigns of homophobic candidates, & Walmart's labor policies are abysmal. Among the many advantages of Costco is the fact that I can find excellent quality merchandise at reasonable prices without having to go to Target & Walmart (neither of which offers good quality). Costco has very little employee turnover, which suggests a good relationship between management & labor -- & the stores are clean!

by Anonymousreply 125May 29, 2017 1:27 AM

I'm surprised that there have been 125 posts and nobody has mentioned their Rotisserie Chicken!

by Anonymousreply 126May 29, 2017 1:29 AM

R126, my partner lives on those things. If it were up to him, Costco would cater our wedding.

by Anonymousreply 127May 29, 2017 1:32 AM

I've never been, but I understand they sell my seconds.

by Anonymousreply 128May 29, 2017 1:34 AM

[quote]For instance, I go through a lot of coconut oil. On average a 16 oz jar of organic coconut oil retails for around $8.00. At Costco I get two 43 oz jars for $25. That's a cost savings of over $15.

Amazon has much better deals. You can get a whole drum of lube for $50. That's a $40 savings over Costco. Their Crisco is also cheaper than Costco.

by Anonymousreply 129May 29, 2017 1:37 AM

Ah, the Costco Rotisserie Chicken! Yes! The perfect quick, warm-weather Friday night dinner, after a long work week: Costco Rotisserie Chicken served with my homemade Mediterranean Chop-chop salad, a fresh baguette, and a chilled glass (or three) of Sauvignon Blanc!

by Anonymousreply 130May 29, 2017 1:51 AM

R129 yes, but it would probably go rancid before I used the entire thing.

by Anonymousreply 131May 29, 2017 1:58 AM

Lube doesn't go rancid.

by Anonymousreply 132May 29, 2017 2:15 AM

I get the Executive membership. You get cash back a couple times a year. I pay 120 for it but get back about 200 annually.

by Anonymousreply 133May 29, 2017 2:22 AM

Anyone using coconut oil for lube is... well, nevermind.

Speaking of lube, they used to actually carry Astroglide in tubs. I don't think they do any more. I only know because I once saw a man by a case of condoms, a tub of Astroglide, a case of wine, a tub of mixed nuts, Advil, and roses.... It made me wonder what they were going to be up to.

by Anonymousreply 134May 29, 2017 2:24 AM

Trader Joe's and Target don't sell gas. As mentioned above, the savings in gas will pay for your membership even if you don't drive that much.

by Anonymousreply 135May 29, 2017 3:50 AM

Costco gas is literally the bottom of the barrel gas...it will fuck up your car over time.

by Anonymousreply 136May 29, 2017 3:52 AM

R115 here. R117 asks how much I'm paying for car batteries. I live in Santa Barbara, CA, and when the battery of my Lexus went dead, I shopped around for a replacement. I couldn't believe how expensive Lexus batteries are. I can't remember exactly what I paid for it at my local Costco, but there was something like a $40-$50 price difference between that and the lowest price I got at Pep Boys in Oxnard, 35 miles away.

R126 mentions the Costco rotisserie chicken. I used to think it was the best rotisserie chicken in the world until I tried one from the local Ralphs (Kroger) supermarket. It's truly da bomb.

I also used to think that the hot dogs from the Costco food court were fantastic, but a couple of years ago they changed brands, and while the new brand is okay, it isn't as wonderful as the old one.

by Anonymousreply 137May 29, 2017 4:24 AM

R137, I thought Costco was still using the Hebrew National Brand.

The reason I asked you about the car battery is because I was going to ask if you have AAA. If so, you might want to check with them the next time you need a battery. If they have your battery, you can't beat it because 1) they come out to you and replace your battery (all included in the price of the battery). Also, for the first three years, if there's ever an issue with the battery itself, they'll come out and replace it for free. And three, the battery (at least for my vehicle) was about $20 cheaper than it would have been at an automotive store.

by Anonymousreply 138May 29, 2017 4:36 AM

Also, R137, I'm not a huge fan of the Ralph's Rotisserie chicken. The one's I've had are pretty dry and of course smaller and more expensive than the Costco ones.

(And yes, I'm aware that Costco injects their chickens with a saline solution).

by Anonymousreply 139May 29, 2017 4:37 AM

I like Costco, but I'm not delusional enough to think that I'm saving money by shopping there. It's just the opposite, in fact. For every item I save money on, like batteries and vitamins, I blow it on boxes of Cheez-Its or huge bags of M&Ms. You have to be the most disciplined shopper in the world to save money there. Most people aren't. At best, you break even at the end of the year. Shopping there also isn't easy, since parking is a bitch on weekends, stores are crowded, and checkout lines are long.

I probably end up spending an extra $300 a year that I wouldn't spend if I didn't have a Costco membership. So, take these stories of huge savings with a grain of salt. They don't reflect the average Costco shopper.

by Anonymousreply 140May 29, 2017 4:59 AM

I've always loved the Sams rotisserie chicken.

I think it's better than even Costco's.

by Anonymousreply 141May 29, 2017 5:02 AM

True, R140, if you aren't disciplined you probably won't save a lot there. However, people with that sort of issue are probably doing the same at the regular grocery store.

I don't really ever tend to buy anything except what I need. I'm not one of those people that go around the store and stroll and look at what's new, etc. I get in and out in 15 minutes.

by Anonymousreply 142May 29, 2017 5:03 AM

Thanks, R123.

I also like Costco for purchase of gift cards to a local restaurant group I often visit. I'll spend $75 or $80 to get a $100 card to the group I'm going to visit anyway. I've done my own math, and the membership works to my financial advantage.

by Anonymousreply 143May 29, 2017 12:21 PM

R136 Stop making shit up.

I have used Costco gas almost exclusively. My last car (1997 model) has over 250K miles on it and is still running (sold it to someone I know.)

by Anonymousreply 144May 29, 2017 2:53 PM

I saw bottles of Dom Pรจrignon at my store yesterday!

Cheaper than I thought ๐Ÿ˜ฎ At $144.00 a bottle ๐Ÿค—

by Anonymousreply 145June 6, 2017 6:16 PM

I have certain things I buy at Costco, but I lost my fascination with them a few years ago. I was, at one time a compulsive Costco shopper but no more. Now, I just get my almonds, olive oil, laundry detergent, and fresh chicken and pork to freeze from them. Sometimes organic eggs, always get my probiotics there. that's it. I used to buy books there and all kinds of crap now I write down titles a go to the library. OK. I do buy a nice shirt or pants or shoes there once in a while. But really. That's it.

by Anonymousreply 146June 6, 2017 6:24 PM

Even being single, I still go regularly. Just last week, I ordered that portable A/C that went on sale. It will be perfect for my apartment because I will be able to move it to the kitchen, where I can't have an A/C because it is the fire escape window. Ordered it Friday, it arrived today. I have bought lovely jewelry for my sister there, and it is the best place to buy contacts. There are so many little percs that you don't realize until you've been there regularly. For instance, if you buy their eyeglass cleaning kit, you can refill the bottles for free. Also things like Better than Bouillon, spices, Hidden Valley Ranch powder and baking supplies are the cheapest. I bake a lot and their King Arthur flour is cheaper than the Stop & Shop. I'm treating my Kirkland Vanilla (which is very highly rated) like liquid gold because the prices are so exorbitant right now.

by Anonymousreply 147June 6, 2017 8:00 PM

R115, what do two people do with a gallon of mayonnaise per month?

by Anonymousreply 148June 6, 2017 8:31 PM

[quote]I was, at one time a compulsive Costco shopper but no more. Now, I just get my almonds, olive oil

Marcona? GOOD olive oil?

by Anonymousreply 149June 6, 2017 8:35 PM

[quote]I'm treating my Kirkland Vanilla (which is very highly rated) like liquid gold because the prices are so exorbitant right now.

I didn't like it that much. I threw it out. I'll buy Penzeys next time.

by Anonymousreply 150June 6, 2017 8:37 PM

I need to buy vanilla, R147, but won't it lose its potency/flavor over time?

I do bake but a bottle might last me a whole year! ๐Ÿค”๐Ÿค”

by Anonymousreply 151June 6, 2017 8:44 PM

Yea, the vanilla has gone through the roof. Is that one of the trees that's going to be in the upcoming die off?

by Anonymousreply 152June 6, 2017 8:51 PM

Penzeys for pure vanilla extract, single or double strength:

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 153June 6, 2017 8:54 PM

[quote] what do two people do with a gallon of mayonnaise per month?

Lube.

by Anonymousreply 154June 6, 2017 9:01 PM

I always shoplift the small stuff at Costco like the vanilla. Where I live there are not any security cameras so the chances of getting caught are almost zero. You can't believe how much my expenses have gone done since I started shoplifting.

by Anonymousreply 155June 6, 2017 9:09 PM

Are coffee beans a good deal there? I used to belong to Costco and would buy bags of Kona coffee beans, but I never did any comparison shopping to know if I was getting a better deal.

by Anonymousreply 156June 6, 2017 10:16 PM

R152 - Vanilla comes from an orchid, not a tree. However, the orchids need trees to grow , if not grown commercially in green houses .

by Anonymousreply 157June 6, 2017 10:27 PM

Why not just make your own vanilla. All it takes is vanilla beans and alcohol and time.

by Anonymousreply 158June 6, 2017 10:32 PM

I rarely go, it's cheaper to shop at my local supermarket.

by Anonymousreply 159June 6, 2017 10:34 PM

Vanilla is so expensive now because apparently there was some problem last year that ruined the vanilla crops.

by Anonymousreply 160June 6, 2017 11:05 PM

R154, no, smart Alex, we don't use it for lube. Mayonnaise has oil in it that would break down condoms. But it is great when condoms aren't involved such as with fisting. We find it cheaper than using Crisco. But the Kirkland brand Crisco will do in an emergency.

by Anonymousreply 161June 6, 2017 11:40 PM

[quote]smart Alex

Oh dear!

by Anonymousreply 162June 7, 2017 12:17 AM

[quote]Why not just make your own vanilla. All it takes is vanilla beans and alcohol and time.

Um ... if vanilla is expensive, then the vanilla beans are going to be expensive, too.

by Anonymousreply 163June 7, 2017 12:18 AM

You're paying them to make it R163. When you go to the grocery story you are not buying anything at cost.

by Anonymousreply 164June 7, 2017 12:52 AM

Yes, let's cost out Grade A Vanilla Beans and Good Vodka so we know how much it costs to make.

by Anonymousreply 165June 7, 2017 1:05 AM

You don't need good vodka. In the recipes they say you can use cheap vodka.

by Anonymousreply 166June 7, 2017 1:07 AM

Yeah, so I'm assuming you'd suggest cheap vodka and cheap vanilla beans. That will make a wonderful vanilla extract!!!!

by Anonymousreply 167June 7, 2017 1:08 AM

So Vanilla Extract requires about 7-8 vanilla beans and 8 oz of liquor. Cost that out.

by Anonymousreply 168June 7, 2017 1:09 AM

Just returned from Costco. Since my husband and I are currently fighting over finances (huge argument, silent treatment and all), I made a special trip to Costco to pick up a delicious Costco rotisserie chicken, which I have full intention of eating all myself. He's not getting any, period.

Fix your own damn dinner, asshole!

by Anonymousreply 169June 7, 2017 1:10 AM

The recipes say you can use cheap vodka R167, but not cheap vanilla beans.

by Anonymousreply 170June 7, 2017 1:11 AM

Here is a recipe that also explains the different flavors of different kinds of vanilla beans.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 171June 7, 2017 1:12 AM

How about if you start with Vanilla Vodka?

by Anonymousreply 172June 7, 2017 1:14 AM

So again, using good Vanilla Beans... 5 Grade A will cost you $16 (although most recipes say you need 7 vanilla beans.) Even using cheap vodka, it's going to cost you at the very least $5 for 8oz. And then you'll need at minimum a month's time for it to sit.

Common sense would say that it's better to just buy it for $24 because the price would be about the same (if not actually less expensive), it will also be of better quality (then if you used cheap alcohol) and saves you a month's time.

It's still expensive but again, cost wise it would be the same as making it. Now, when they sell it for the normal price, ($8.99) you can't beat it.

I do wonder if they'll ever go back to selling it for the old price or if they've figured they can charge more for it from this point forward.

by Anonymousreply 173June 7, 2017 1:25 AM

You don't know the quality of vodka they use R173. Actually they say it is better for you to make it yourself. Even if you use a high quality vodka it would still be cheaper.

by Anonymousreply 174June 7, 2017 1:28 AM

Has anyone used vanilla PASTE? I have some, but have never seen a recipe where you can substitute it for the extract.

by Anonymousreply 175June 7, 2017 1:32 AM

Last time I looked good, fresh, soft vanilla beans were about 6 -7 dollars a piece. 5@16 dollars seems like it would be poor quality ones. I'd just go ahead and get ratings on best vanilla and buy that one.

If you do by vanilla beans in a glass jar and they make a lot of rattling sound if you shake it, they are old and hard and useless.

by Anonymousreply 176June 7, 2017 1:32 AM

No, it wouldn't R174. You keep saying that but you haven't bothered to offer up any numbers.

The numbers above IS using cheap vodka. And no, it's not less expensive. Using a higher quality vodka obviously pushes the price point above the $24 Costco price.

by Anonymousreply 177June 7, 2017 1:37 AM

Nonsense. You're not going to use the whole bottle of vodka.

by Anonymousreply 178June 7, 2017 1:45 AM

Kirkland isn't typically known for using low quality or subpar materials in their items so there's no reason to assume that they're using low grade alcohol. I would guess they use their own alcohol which itself is highly rated. Their vanilla is also highly rated as well.

Good luck to the person eating the whole chicken above. I hope you're prepared to bloat!

by Anonymousreply 179June 7, 2017 1:45 AM

Yes, obviously R178 which is why 8 ounces was specifically listed above.

So again, cost it out for us and tell us how much it's going to cost using cheap alcohol and good vanilla beans. We'll wait.

by Anonymousreply 180June 7, 2017 1:47 AM

You are making a lot of assumptions about the Kirkland brand R180.

by Anonymousreply 181June 7, 2017 1:55 AM

And you keep avoiding costing it out for us, R181.

by Anonymousreply 182June 7, 2017 1:58 AM

Even using the recipe linked at R171 and using the beans listed on the site, the cost for 1 bean is $6.95 and for the required 7 beans it's $36.95.

by Anonymousreply 183June 7, 2017 2:03 AM

Who gives a shit? Get a room, vanilla vodka queens.

by Anonymousreply 184June 7, 2017 2:05 AM

Apparently you do, R184.

by Anonymousreply 185June 7, 2017 2:07 AM

R185 SNAP

by Anonymousreply 186June 7, 2017 2:12 AM

Okay, no one is going to make their own fucking vanilla extract, for Peter sake! ๐Ÿ™„๐Ÿ™„

I just wanted to know if the extract will keep for a year or longer.

I can get the different little bottles from different countries:Tahiti, Madagascar, Mexico.

I'm running out of the Mexican extract I got whilst in Cancun a few years ago.

Talk about going off on a tangent. ๐Ÿ˜

I forgot to get some peppercorns for my pepper mill. Damn, it just means I'm gonna have to back next week.

by Anonymousreply 187June 7, 2017 2:13 AM

But R187 you could make it yourself!

And yes, the vanilla will keep for over a year. It's made from alcohol.

by Anonymousreply 188June 7, 2017 2:19 AM

R188 I made some it is so good!!

by Anonymousreply 189June 7, 2017 2:20 AM

I'm a low key, savvy, smart, saving shopper.

I'll stick with ALDI'S !

by Anonymousreply 190June 7, 2017 2:37 AM

I used to get my cat's glaucoma meds there, less expensive than the vet's. You can get quite a few human meds used for pets there.

by Anonymousreply 191June 7, 2017 2:54 AM

I buy Mexican vanilla at 99 cent only store for a dollar. If it loses strength I just use more, or buy another bottle. What's wrong with that?

by Anonymousreply 192June 7, 2017 3:20 AM

R192 why buy it when you can make it yourself for less?!?!

by Anonymousreply 193June 7, 2017 1:23 PM

[quote]I'll stick with ALDI'S

It's just ALDI.

by Anonymousreply 194June 7, 2017 1:39 PM

[quote]Has anyone used vanilla PASTE? I have some, but have never seen a recipe where you can substitute it for the extract.

I use vanilla bean paste for recipes where the vanilla flavor is highlighted, like ice cream, whipped cream, buttercream, custard, pudding, flan, creme brulle. Basically, anything creamy tastes better with vanilla paste, since you don't get the alcohol taste of an extract. Paste is excellent in non-baked recipes, like ice cream and buttercream.

Vanilla extract works better in baked goods like cookies and cakes, since some of the flavor is baked out.

by Anonymousreply 195June 7, 2017 4:02 PM

I just saw a recipe in a magazine for Strawberry-Vanilla Freezer Jam (uncooked) that uses vanilla bean paste.

by Anonymousreply 196June 7, 2017 4:24 PM

I love Costco, I started when they were Price Club in the early 80's. The truth is rather hard to accept, but shopping at Costco is an addiction, at least for me since my life is rather humdrum. I've stopped at Costco's while working in distant states just to feel at home away from home. Mind you, I'm single and have little need for most of Costco's bargains. I've finally begun to deal with my addiction by never taking a shopping basket into the store. This alone has reduced my spending. Now I primarily go for gas a car wash. Last week I did make a special trip to try their new hamburger (it's being tested here in LA). Pretty nice hamburger, but at 4.99 I was disappointed it was only lukewarm. They didn't have salt and pepper or mayo, so that limited my delight.

Costco can also be thought of as a cult without a Pope.

by Anonymousreply 197June 7, 2017 7:56 PM

[quote]I started when they were Price Club in the early 80's.

Isn't that where Red Forman worked?

by Anonymousreply 198June 7, 2017 7:58 PM

[quote]Last week I did make a special trip to try their new hamburger (it's being tested here in LA).

New? They've been selling it for at least 6 months.

by Anonymousreply 199June 8, 2017 12:47 AM

I wish they would give out green stamps that you could use to get free stuff, like TV trays or croquet sets.

by Anonymousreply 200June 8, 2017 12:51 AM

There is no hamburgers at me Costco's.

by Anonymousreply 201June 8, 2017 1:09 AM

You Costco's what?

by Anonymousreply 202June 8, 2017 1:10 AM

Costco vanilla is one of the few things I don't like. Mexican vanilla is the best for my uses. It is so much more fragrant.

by Anonymousreply 203June 8, 2017 1:36 AM

I went there for the first time on Friday night and saw a lot of people having their pizza at the eating area or picking one up and taking it home. Must be it's pretty good.

by Anonymousreply 204June 8, 2017 3:45 AM

Their pizza is good. Very expensive.

by Anonymousreply 205June 8, 2017 3:46 AM

Note on the vodka: there are two an American Kirkland vodka at about 11.99 and an imported one at 16.99 get the imported one it's divine. The other one is rough. Costco is dangerous I figure I spend $125 per every half hour I am in the store. So I try to stick to a list and crank. The Kirkland Rwandan coffee is delicious!

by Anonymousreply 206June 8, 2017 11:16 AM

Definitely have a list. Costco is dangerous.

by Anonymousreply 207June 8, 2017 11:21 AM

I've been to Costco with a friend. I can't imagine being addicted to it. But I'm the kind of shopper who becomes addicted to products, or product categories, rather than to individual stores.

by Anonymousreply 208June 8, 2017 1:31 PM

I go once a month. Bounty Paper towels, Scott Tissue, laundry pods, dishwasher pods, coffee, half and half, and Irish butter are my regular staples. I actually bought my diamond wedding band there. It cost $1,700 and the lowest price that I could find for a similar band elsewhere was $2,400. If you research it, Costco diamonds are rated a really good buy for the price.

by Anonymousreply 209June 8, 2017 1:44 PM

R205 Their pizza is hardly expensive.

by Anonymousreply 210June 8, 2017 3:24 PM

R210 auto type I meant to say inexpensive.

by Anonymousreply 211June 8, 2017 3:27 PM

At my Costco, pizza is $1 per slice IIRC.

by Anonymousreply 212June 8, 2017 3:40 PM

I think Costco Pizza is typically, $1.99 / slice and $9.99 for an entire pizza.

by Anonymousreply 213June 8, 2017 4:52 PM

It's been so long since I've eaten it, it could have doubled in price. It's really terrible pizza, at least here in Pittsburgh.

by Anonymousreply 214June 8, 2017 4:56 PM

It's been $1.99 in most Costcos for over a decade. The cheapest thing on their menu has always been the Churro $1 and the Hot dog & Drink Combo for $1.50.

by Anonymousreply 215June 8, 2017 5:30 PM

I agree with R214. I purchased a take home and bake pizza. It was bland beyond belief.

by Anonymousreply 216June 8, 2017 7:48 PM

They should give away their pizza. I'll bet no one would want it even then. It's that bad.

by Anonymousreply 217June 8, 2017 7:50 PM

R217 God, you're stupid.

by Anonymousreply 218June 8, 2017 8:55 PM

Are the baked goods they sell in the bakery any good? The chocolate cake looks good. Does anyone know how much it costs?

What about the pies?

by Anonymousreply 219June 8, 2017 9:21 PM

People go apeshit over the baked goods. I don't buy any of it but I've had that chocolate cake (someone brought it to a dinner). It's good, but unless you like sweets, you can't have more than two bites. It's extremely sweet. It's a large cake and it sells for $16.99 at my Costco. As mentioned upthread, the Apple Pies are also a major hit with customers. It's the size of about 3 pies, everyone raves about it and it sells for $4.99. They currently sell some sort of mixed Berry Pie for $16.99.

Another thing that people go insane for are their dinner rolls. Especially during the holidays where people line up for them. You get a huge bag (there have to be 24 or more in them) and it sells for $4.99.

The sheet cakes are also popular. I don't know if people buy them because it's good or cheap or both. I know they'll decorate it, etc. and I think that is included in the price. I think half a sheet is somewhere under $20 and a full sheet is $30.

Apparently they do wedding cakes there too. I can't even imagine anyone doing that.

by Anonymousreply 220June 8, 2017 10:14 PM

I'm still mourning the now unavailability of the annual Costco Holiday Cookbook! It was an actual book(!), versus its now being available online, during the winter holidays, only. It was pretty much the only reason I'd stop by Costco during the holidays, to pick up my copy of the long awaited Costco Holiday Cookbook. (Yes, an online version is available, true; but I can't exactly personalize the recipes, with my notes in the margins, to my liking. No, I will not print out reams of paper, either.)

Now, about that Costco pizza . . . not exactly awful, but not exactly worth celebrating either. The *pizza sauce* is soooooooo bland! It's like the herbs were deliberately left out in order to maintain the retail price ($8.99). Sooooooo, we buy the Costco Thin Crust Pizza; four 12" pizzas in a box, for, like, $10.99. It's way better than the larger one! The thin crust pizzas have so many pepperoni slices, they crowd one another! The pizza sauce is very tasty, indeed! (We *enhance* our Costco Thin Crust Pizzas by adding sliced black olives.)

by Anonymousreply 221June 8, 2017 10:49 PM

Their croissants are not bad their cakes are meh.

by Anonymousreply 222June 9, 2017 12:39 AM

Those damn dinner rolls are legend. I remember I waited about half an hour one Thanksgiving week for them

They are good, though. They freeze really well.

The cheesecake is yummy.

I bought a tomahawk rib-eye chop for my Memorial Day weekend. I don't think I've ever spent 30 bucks for one piece of meat before. It was Prime Beef though and it was beyond delicous and tender and delicous and big enough for two people and did I mention it was delicous??

by Anonymousreply 223June 9, 2017 12:45 AM

R223 - If you want to be thought off as 'one of the boys', do not use 'yummy' in a post. It exposes you as a frau.

by Anonymousreply 224June 9, 2017 12:56 AM

R223 You make a good point about "Prime" beef -- it's very difficult to find USDA Prime in most stores; they usually reserve that for restaurants. (That's why you never see them advertise "Prime Rib" -- it's always "Standing Rib Roast" or something like that.) Anyway, Costco is one of the few retail stores that usually has USDA Prime.

by Anonymousreply 225June 9, 2017 1:07 AM

When I was working and had to hold staff meetings, I'd usually buy either their Danish or their muffins for the group. Most people liked them.

by Anonymousreply 226June 9, 2017 1:08 AM

Its Baskets bitches !

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 227June 9, 2017 1:10 AM

I buy my Christmas Standing rib roast at Costco as well.

But I just buy the regular, choice, is it?

I have seen USDA Prime rib roast there, though.

It was about a hundred dollars more than the one I usually buy for $80-90 bucks.

by Anonymousreply 228June 9, 2017 1:28 AM

[quote]It was Prime Beef though and it was beyond delicous and tender and delicous and big enough for two people and did I mention it was delicous??

What is "delicous"?

by Anonymousreply 229June 9, 2017 1:34 PM

Same as "deliteful" and "delovely". Geesh!

by Anonymousreply 230June 9, 2017 2:55 PM

delicious. you are too conservative in your use of i's. I will stand apologetic if you didn't mean to indicate your roast tasted very good.

by Anonymousreply 231June 9, 2017 3:27 PM

I think he meant it tasted like it came from a [bold]deli[/bold] where they serve cous[bold]cous[/bold]. Israeli, probably.

Try that, portmanteau prissies (portmantissies).

by Anonymousreply 232June 9, 2017 3:32 PM

Oh, JFC, so I misspelled "delicious"

Call the police. ๐Ÿ™„๐Ÿ™„๐Ÿ™„๐Ÿ™„

by Anonymousreply 233June 9, 2017 4:45 PM

R233 โ€” We did. Don't let it happen again.

by Anonymousreply 234June 9, 2017 5:07 PM

This whole thread reads frau. And fat.

Fat Frau.

by Anonymousreply 235June 9, 2017 6:01 PM

Off with your head R235. And by the way, the last time I was a Costco, I noticed they had baguettes in their bakery dept. I didn't buy them because they came two to a package and they were huge. I did do the finger test to see if they were crusty and they were. They looked pretty authentic like you see in France, pointed ends, not rounded like you usually see in stores. I'l have to buy a pack next time and just give away one. I love a warm baguette with butter.

by Anonymousreply 236June 9, 2017 6:42 PM

I was waiting for someone to mention Baskets, R227! Costco is its own character on that show.

by Anonymousreply 237June 9, 2017 8:45 PM

R235 Types old. Old and stupid. And massc.

by Anonymousreply 238June 9, 2017 9:32 PM

[quote]It's a large cake and it sells for $16.99 at my Costco. As mentioned upthread, the Apple Pies are also a major hit with customers. It's the size of about 3 pies, everyone raves about it and it sells for $4.99.

That's a really good price for the size. I know that Central Market in Texas charges $27 for their meh chocolate cake, and it's not nearly as big as the Costco version. Central Market also charges double for their apple pies, and they're smaller and not that good.

What makes the yeast rolls at Costco so good? Can someone describe the taste and texture to me? Do they come already baked?

by Anonymousreply 239June 9, 2017 10:54 PM

Yes, already baked.

I don't know, but the sort of remind me of the yeast rolls we used to get at school.

Fluffy and soft and good. Like comfort food.

by Anonymousreply 240June 10, 2017 3:22 AM

Yeast rolls?!? Yuck!

by Anonymousreply 241June 10, 2017 1:06 PM

Shopping at Costco.

Those sample ladies really know how to upsell, huh? "Take 3 just to be safe."

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 242June 10, 2017 1:19 PM

That's fucking hilarious R242. That is my mother.

by Anonymousreply 243June 10, 2017 1:49 PM

She's like Kathy Mitchell. Her boys just love those easy to make pizza treats.

by Anonymousreply 244June 10, 2017 2:13 PM

I went there to get my eyes examined and the damned optometrist gave me an Rx that said one thing, but put a different RX in the computer. I discovered this after I ordered a bunch of contacts online and they came in a strength different from what I ordered from the hand written Rx

Since he was the "substitute" optometrist, I had to go all the way back to Costco to try different strengths of contact lenses. Costco is an hour and a half away from me. Thanks, Costco! I'm so happy to spend two weeks trying to sort this out.

I hardly buy anything there. Their version of Zyrtec is very reasonable. At Halloween, I go there and buy boxes of full sized candy bars to give out -- Hershey bars, Kit Kats and Reese's. Once I bought Plant Tone for a good price. But it's far away and I don't dont have anyone to split my purchases with, so I only go there once or twice a year. I'm in NY, so they don't sell alcohol and they don't have car washes. I don't buy gas because I have to fill up my tank just to drive there. I have found paper goods like tissue and paper towels to be priced better at Target or other stores when they're on sale.

by Anonymousreply 245June 10, 2017 2:29 PM

Nothing exceptional about the produce, bakery, etc. On a par with Safeway, Kroger et al. and often not cheaper. Costco often is cheaper for car rentals. Their car buying service is the same pone that AAA, Consumer Reports and my credit union use, so no bargain there. Costco makes sense for a single person for items that are truly bargains that you will use often--imported tomatoes for sauce, V-8 juice, paper goods. Many things aren't cheaper and don't justify the trip--the people who "buy everything" there are probably spending more than they would otherwise and probably don't know how to shop.

by Anonymousreply 246June 10, 2017 3:50 PM

Which is precisely why you felt compelled to enter R235.

by Anonymousreply 247June 10, 2017 8:22 PM

I got a nice piece of cheese there last Wednesday, a nice piece.

by Anonymousreply 248June 10, 2017 11:15 PM

Was it nice r248 ?

by Anonymousreply 249June 10, 2017 11:47 PM

Ribbon for wrapping gifts. I think it's still $7 per 50-yard rolls of wire-edged ribbon in beautiful colors & patterns.

by Anonymousreply 250June 11, 2017 12:29 AM

My Depends are cheaper at Costco than any place else. But the disposable briefs at Walmart are just as good and though not Depends, they are cheaper, much cheaper.

by Anonymousreply 251June 12, 2017 7:37 PM

anyone bought a car from them?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 252October 25, 2018 1:38 AM

I buy my Dyson heating and cooling products there and always return them at the end of the season. It is as if I am renting them for nothing.

by Anonymousreply 253October 25, 2018 4:14 AM

Kinda boring, but fresh vegetables and some of the cheeses.

by Anonymousreply 254October 25, 2018 5:43 AM

Buying clothes off my Instagram.

by Anonymousreply 255October 25, 2018 5:54 AM

r252 They don't sell cars. It's just a referral service, similar to those offered by Consumer Reports, TrueCar, etc.

by Anonymousreply 256October 25, 2018 4:53 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!