Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Wow, Has the Fake Hair Industry Evolved! Remember the old Toupee's and Wigs. They Would Fall Right Off

Watching Carol Burnett and Harvey's Toupee is priceless. How many people would be balding if it were not for extensions or plugs?

by Anonymousreply 50March 17, 2019 6:51 AM

I bet most of the movie stars are balding without all their wigs, etc.

by Anonymousreply 1May 21, 2017 10:26 PM

I notice wigs are used more and more. The days of over processed hair are ending.

by Anonymousreply 2May 21, 2017 10:27 PM

Harvey Korman was wearing an obvious one for comedic effect.

by Anonymousreply 3May 22, 2017 6:08 AM

Yes, I believe as a parody for people who really wore them.

by Anonymousreply 4May 22, 2017 6:12 AM

I wonder how many wigs Carol Burnett owns.

by Anonymousreply 5May 22, 2017 6:14 AM

Tons!!

by Anonymousreply 6May 22, 2017 7:54 AM

I think the Dreyfuss one delved more into Bernie, I liked how they showed them at the work party at the Mexican restaurant when they knew they were screwing over everybody there. I did like Pfeiffer better as the wife though.

by Anonymousreply 7May 22, 2017 9:16 AM

[[R7]] Wrong thread, dude.

by Anonymousreply 8May 22, 2017 11:47 AM

r4 I agree. Men and women who were serious about their wigs, toupees, and hairpieces made sure those babies were anchored to their heads.

by Anonymousreply 9May 22, 2017 11:54 AM

The three biggest who are completely bald and have been for years but rely on their fake hair for their career to survive: John Hamm, Ben Affleck, and Patrick Wilson.

McConnagay would also be listed here except he's spent millions on replacement surgeries, potions, and permanent wiglets to keep that shit alive.

by Anonymousreply 10May 22, 2017 12:14 PM

r10 Only his hairdresser knows for sure.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 11May 22, 2017 12:18 PM

Watching "That's Entertainment" recently I was struck by how much it looked like a toupee advertisement.

Every male star presenter is wearing what, by today's standards, looks so ridiculously cheap and obvious. And laughable.

by Anonymousreply 12May 22, 2017 12:36 PM

Yes, OP. The wog industry is BOOMING, especially with women.

Beyoncé's wigs cost a ton. She wears them all the time. As does J-Lo.

Ben pieces are odd. Sometimes they look great, and sometimes they look like shit.

I'm very pleased to still have my hair.

A new trend: men and women are putting yeast infection cream on their heads. Allegedly, it make hair grow, and accelerates the time in which it grows!

by Anonymousreply 13May 22, 2017 12:44 PM

How did Gene Kelly manage to keep his toupee on back then with all that dancing?

by Anonymousreply 14May 22, 2017 12:52 PM

How many DLers wear the toups?

by Anonymousreply 15May 22, 2017 2:05 PM

We do not need any assistance as we are a scorching hot number. Our moving hairline is 100% natural. No rubbers!

by Anonymousreply 16May 22, 2017 2:59 PM

Wig bump.

by Anonymousreply 17May 26, 2017 6:31 AM

Brad Pitt has had some atrocious rugs in his time. Then he wore a hemp bag on his head for a year before emerging with some very good transplant work.

by Anonymousreply 18May 26, 2017 6:38 AM

Most of the male and many of the female population suffer from thinning hair. It is a fact by a certain age (although it varies for everyone) you will see thinning of the lustrous locks that you enjoyed as a teen. Yes, expensive surgeries and expensive pieces are often used in an attempt to camouflage this fact. Many other products disguise the scalp and beef up the thin locks with keratin fibers and whatnot. Until a hair follicle can be cloned by the thousands and then transplanted by the thousands (sources say within a year), this will remain the case. Almost every leading man both then and now has had "work" done when it comes to his hair. Women usually just add extensions to beef up the coif or wear a wig. Little of the hair that you see on most of Hollywood's scalps is the hair that said star was born with. Affleck has some of the worst pieces - last year's Oscars wig was so obvious and terrible that I felt bad for him.

by Anonymousreply 19May 26, 2017 7:16 AM

[[R18]] Get over it Jen, he doesn't love you anymore.

by Anonymousreply 20May 27, 2017 9:05 PM

It's funny cause I'm over 40 and have that wild bushy Serbian hair like disgraced Democrat and ex-governor of IL, Rod Blagojevich has and people think it's a piece all the time, because no one my age can have so much hair.

by Anonymousreply 21May 27, 2017 9:12 PM

I always feel sorry for actors who have to do toupee gags. It must be pretty humiliating.

by Anonymousreply 22May 27, 2017 9:17 PM

I wonder why a lot of the celebs don't take Propecia (okay it make you a bit floppy for the first couple of months, but after that most people get back to normal) and use Minoxodil ?. I started balding at about 30 went straight on both, my hair is thicker now (20 years later) than when I was a teenager.

by Anonymousreply 23May 27, 2017 9:23 PM

R13, I've been doing that for years, but not for hair growth. I have an idiopathic scalp itch thing that drives me nuts, even right after I've just washed my hair. The anti-yeast cream helps...sometimes.

by Anonymousreply 24May 27, 2017 9:23 PM

After Jay Pharoah left SNL he did a radio station interview. One of the topics he ended up discussing was how his hair was thinning even though he isn't yet 30.

He said he got laser treatments and they were really helpful.

by Anonymousreply 25May 27, 2017 9:28 PM

R23, that may work for men (and a minority of women), but in a huge percentage of women, using Minoxidil on the scalp for hair growth can cause unwanted flourishing of hair where they DON'T want it--on the chin, cheeks, sideburns, throat, chest, breasts. Which only compounds the self-esteem issues of those women.

by Anonymousreply 26May 27, 2017 9:31 PM

R24 Have you tried Nizoral Shampoo 2% ?. I use that all of the time along with the Propecia and Minoxodil. Forgot about that one...

by Anonymousreply 27May 27, 2017 9:32 PM

I haven't read most of the posts on this thread, but one that did catch my eye was the one about yeast infection medicine helping to stimulate hair growth, because one time in the '90s I tried douching with youghurt and it was a total disaster and long story short, I have wound up having either a UTI or a Yeast infection almost monthly ever since. So I have anti-yeast meds practically falling out of my medicine cabinet (LOL!) and I have also been suffering from hair loss since I was laid off my from employer due to issues with my Chrome's disease (the case is in litigation at the moment so I can't say too much), but my hair has been falling out in chunks and a week ago I realized that my cat had made a little 'nest' for her kittens out of the hair I had pulled from my brush and left on the floor in my tv room. I've already tried Monoxonil, but I didn't grow any hair on my head but plenty on my upper lip and my privates. Getting older is the worst! LOL!

by Anonymousreply 28May 27, 2017 9:56 PM

Sure have, R27. And it didn't work even as well as that ancient standby, Denorex! DHS was the same, even though recommended by dermatologist.

I try to avoid care products containing SLS, as it irritates my mouth when it's in toothpaste, and my scalp when it's in a shampoo I use.

by Anonymousreply 29May 27, 2017 10:08 PM

[quote] Wow, Has the Fake Hair Industry Evolved!

And allows cultural appropriation too

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 30May 27, 2017 10:12 PM

OP, why does your headline say "Toupee's" but not "Wig's"? If you're going to show us your failed remedial English and punctuation skills, why not be consistent?

by Anonymousreply 31May 27, 2017 10:23 PM

Minoxodil is the one that works for me.

by Anonymousreply 32May 27, 2017 11:45 PM

Reminds me of the time I hooked up with this hot guy who had a great head of hair. So great I ran my fingers through it. As I did, it shifted a bit. Not his real hair. Ooooops

by Anonymousreply 33May 28, 2017 1:54 AM

I call this the Pepe Le Pew

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 34May 28, 2017 2:36 AM

[quote]I realized that my cat had made a little 'nest' for her kittens out of the hair I had pulled from my brush [italic]and left on the floor in my tv room.[/italic]

Not to be a dick, R28, and I don't begrudge your cat her nursery construction materials...but that's just gross.

by Anonymousreply 35May 28, 2017 2:58 AM

Bump.

by Anonymousreply 36May 29, 2017 8:23 PM

My partner of 30 years still has a beautiful full head of light brown hair and he's over 60. I hate him!

by Anonymousreply 37May 29, 2017 8:30 PM

R28, I suspect the antifungal meds (in your example miconazole) work for hair growth for two reasons, DHT suppression and fungus removal. Other related antifungals such as ketoconazole are known to lower DHT levels, which cause pattern hair loss. And many people lose hair as a consequence of dandruff, which is caused by fungal infection of the hair follicles. So it's not at all far-fetched as a potential solution.

Didn't somebody mention on here before that Minoxidil ages your facial skin?

by Anonymousreply 38May 29, 2017 11:24 PM

R38 wow, very enlightening. I had no idea about hair loss due to fungus.

by Anonymousreply 39May 29, 2017 11:35 PM

Gee I wore wigs in the Fifties and never got complaints.

by Anonymousreply 40May 29, 2017 11:42 PM

Does Anna Wintour wear one?

by Anonymousreply 41May 30, 2017 12:29 AM

Oh hi, Ange R20. You've had some hideous wigs, yourself eg. The Tourist. You should've gone to whoever did the hair replacement surgery on Braddles' head. It really is good work.

by Anonymousreply 42May 30, 2017 10:10 AM

r33 The first time I spent the night with my former boyfriend, and I ran my fingers though his hair and discussed he had a hair weave. Now a hair weave is one strange thing to feel because real hair is 'knotted' or 'weaved' into the remaining living hair. The feeling was beyond bizarre.

by Anonymousreply 43May 30, 2017 11:34 AM

Does Minoxidil really age your skin? I have been using it for a good number of years but I am always scared to stop as I've read stories about hair falling out left and right.

by Anonymousreply 44May 30, 2017 11:44 AM

Bump.

by Anonymousreply 45June 11, 2017 3:23 AM

I might get the Bosley FUE thing. I suddenly came into a few bucks, and really hate my thinning crown.

by Anonymousreply 46June 11, 2017 3:40 AM

I would not advise choosing a chain like Bosley for such a difficult surgery, r46. There are private practices with much more qualified and talented surgeons that would make for a better choice and more reliable results.

by Anonymousreply 47June 11, 2017 3:52 AM

[quote] R44 Does Minoxidil really age your skin? I have been using it for a good number of years but I am always scared to stop as I've read stories about hair falling out left and right.

I'm not sure why you would put minoxidil on your face? Presumably most people start to use it when they are not in the 'first flush of youth' and their skin would be aging anyway? I have used it for 10 years and look better than my bald older Brother.

My facial skin has been great for the past 8 years since I stopped using soap and switched to using Dermol 500 which my dermatologist recommended for minor fungal infections that I kept getting.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 48June 11, 2017 9:31 PM

Lets keep this thread going.

by Anonymousreply 49March 16, 2019 11:45 AM

Here's two outtakes from the Skip E. Lowe show, where the guests lose their wigs.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 50March 17, 2019 6:51 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!