Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Do you still eat Sushi?

[post redacted because linking to dailymail.co.uk clearly indicates that the poster is either a troll or an idiot (probably both, honestly.) Our advice is that you just ignore this poster but whatever you do, don't click on any link to this putrid rag.]

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 105January 20, 2018 6:30 AM

I swore off sushi after two episodes of severe abdominal pain that occurred over 9 years ago after I went to a local sushi bar. . I eventually went to a gastroenterologist for an upper and lower endoscopy. that were essentially negative. The pain didn't resolve until I asked the doctor to give me a trial of metronidazole for two weeks. He obliged. I've been fine ever since that time. I believe that I had a parasite.

by Anonymousreply 1May 14, 2017 9:18 PM

I can't give it up, but I don't eat it regularly. That article gave me the creeps though.

by Anonymousreply 2May 14, 2017 9:25 PM

When I have asked chefs about the sushi/worm dilemma. They tell me that the fish is flashed frozen, which kills the worms. But, you are still stuck with the dead worms.

by Anonymousreply 3May 14, 2017 10:02 PM

Look DLers!

The Maiden Aunt Brigade has found something riskier than sex!!!

Sex can only result in STDs. But sushi ... potentially fatal parasites!!!

Both should be avoided at all costs!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 4May 14, 2017 10:15 PM

I took a parasitology class in college, no one would eat anything raw after that class.

by Anonymousreply 5May 14, 2017 10:18 PM

Where I live, all sushi fish is flash frozen.

by Anonymousreply 6May 14, 2017 10:19 PM

r6 me too. I lived in Japan for years and ate sushi all the time: bargain basement sushi, half-price special sushi, fancy sushi, whatever. I never once got sick. If people are getting sick in the US, it is probably because general food safety practices leave a lot to be desired.

by Anonymousreply 7May 14, 2017 10:21 PM

I've had bareback sex all my adult life and remain negative. I never once got sick.

by Anonymousreply 8May 14, 2017 10:30 PM

[quote]Some have protective shells, heat is the only way to truly kill them.

Not true OP. Flash freezing kills them too.

At least here in Europe, fish used for sushi must be frozen first. Isn't that obligatory also in the US?

by Anonymousreply 9May 14, 2017 10:36 PM

if someone offered me a gazillion (yes, GA) dollars to eat 1 piece of raw fish they would get a resounding HECK to the NAH

by Anonymousreply 10May 14, 2017 10:39 PM

Just close your eyes and imagine you're rimming.

by Anonymousreply 11May 14, 2017 10:41 PM

[quote]If people are getting sick in the US, it is probably because general food safety practices leave a lot to be desired.

That article was not about a man in the US R7. It was from an Asian country where fish is eaten in high volumes.

by Anonymousreply 12May 14, 2017 10:43 PM

R9 - It is an FDA requirement except for tuna (which has other issues but not parasites). It is important to note that the flash freezing needs to be done in a commercial grade freezer.

I'd say eating sushi is safer than reading the mail online.

by Anonymousreply 13May 14, 2017 10:49 PM

Flash Freezing is also a myth. It may kill some bacteria, but most of it is just put into hibernation. Scientist study live bacteria in the frozen ice of Antarctica all the time. Also, eggs tend to be even more impervious. Brine shrimp eggs for example can be stored years in a totally dry open container without water, food, sunlight or humidity and still hatch once hydrated. Sort of like dry yeast. Freezing it is not going to kill it.

by Anonymousreply 14May 14, 2017 10:52 PM

[quote]Brine shrimp eggs for example can be stored years in a totally dry open container without water, food, sunlight or humidity and still hatch once hydrated.

Basically sea monkeys, right?

[quote]I've had bareback sex all my adult life and remain negative. I never once got sick.

We get the point, R8. Always wear condoms while eating sushi.

by Anonymousreply 15May 14, 2017 11:54 PM

No way will I eat ANYTHING from Japan, inclusive of kelp. ALL of the fish are radiated from Fukushima as evidenced by the sea animals rolling up dead on west coast shores. I got thyroid cancer from it all.

by Anonymousreply 16May 14, 2017 11:59 PM

Never eaten it, never will.

by Anonymousreply 17May 15, 2017 12:06 AM

[quote]If people are getting sick in the US, it is probably because general food safety practices leave a lot to be desired.

What happens when the people preparing Japanese food aren't Japanese-clean.

by Anonymousreply 18May 15, 2017 12:09 AM

I have a small digital geiger counter and use it on all of my food.

by Anonymousreply 19May 15, 2017 12:45 AM

I really don't see what the problem is.

by Anonymousreply 20May 15, 2017 12:51 AM

Cheryl-the problem is your skanky pussy. It's probably ground zero for plutonium and agent orange.

by Anonymousreply 21May 15, 2017 12:58 AM

R14 - do you also consider climate change a myth?

by Anonymousreply 22May 15, 2017 12:59 AM

Japan clean? You must be joking!

The radiation from Fukushima dumping tons of contaminated water into the ocean has become apparent. In 2012, the Vancouver Sun reported that cesium-137 was being found in a very high percentage of the fish that Japan was selling to Canada…

• 73 percent of mackerel tested

• 91 percent of the halibut

• 92 percent of the sardines

• 93 percent of the tuna and eel

• 94 percent of the cod and anchovies

• 100 percent of the carp, seaweed, shark and monkfish

by Anonymousreply 23May 15, 2017 1:00 AM

I'm just too squeamish to eat sushi, knowing that one is playing Russian Roulette with cholera, hepatitis, and parasites.

by Anonymousreply 24May 15, 2017 1:11 AM

Did not realize how much sushi bothered the Maiden Aunts.

Hepatitis.

Wow.

by Anonymousreply 25May 15, 2017 1:13 AM

No Rr22, climate change is not a myth. What an odd assumption you are making trying to equate flash freezing to climate change.

Facts are facts. Climate change is a fact. So is the fact that freezing does not kill every organism on the planet. Mammals cant survive, but bacteria an lots of other microorganism survive a freeze and thaw. There is even a species of frog that can do this. Flash freezing is not a cure all to killing larva and worm eggs.

by Anonymousreply 26May 15, 2017 1:14 AM

I don't imagine raw oysters are that fabulous for you either.

by Anonymousreply 27May 15, 2017 1:17 AM

Most HIV doctors recommend their patient NOT eat Sushi or any raw fish. They know worms and other parasites are common in uncooked fish (from heat) and someone with a compromised immune cant risk it.

by Anonymousreply 28May 15, 2017 1:17 AM

If you have hemochromatosis, you shouldn't eat sushi.

by Anonymousreply 29May 15, 2017 1:19 AM

[quote] I don't imagine raw oysters are that fabulous for you either.

Probably not, but how many people eat raw oysters these days? Its really old school. Like organ meats, just not that popular with the under 60 crowd.

by Anonymousreply 30May 15, 2017 1:20 AM

The only way to be 100% sure your food has no malevolent organic content is to get it straight from the factory.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 31May 15, 2017 1:22 AM

to be safe we should all have our jaws wired shut and drink Ensure for the rest of our lives

by Anonymousreply 32May 15, 2017 1:22 AM

R16 I stopped eating sushi after Fukushima too & R19 where did you buy and what kind of radiation does it test for?

by Anonymousreply 33May 15, 2017 1:24 AM

The original article is about tapeworms, and the case was in China, where the standards are notoriously low.

[quote]Tapeworm infections occur after ingesting the larvae of diphyllobothrium, found in freshwater fish such as salmon, although marinated and smoked fish can also transmit the worm.

I don't eat much sushi, but occasionally have some with tuna or unagi (which is cooked eel). I would never risk eating raw freshwater fish.

by Anonymousreply 34May 15, 2017 1:28 AM

Raw shellfish seems very popular as far as I can tell. I hate it, though like sushi.

by Anonymousreply 35May 15, 2017 1:29 AM

[quote]to be safe we should all have our jaws wired shut and drink Ensure for the rest of our lives

Or just cook your food. Don't be so hyperbolic.

by Anonymousreply 36May 15, 2017 1:49 AM

I've given up eating at any Asian eatery anywhere; the hygienic practices are bad, among other things.

by Anonymousreply 37May 15, 2017 1:50 AM

R37, Cat got your tongue?

by Anonymousreply 38May 15, 2017 1:52 AM

Ensure is too high in sugar and fat to be healthy for most people.

by Anonymousreply 39May 15, 2017 1:52 AM

Most US sushi is brokered by The Unification Church (i.e. The Moonies).

by Anonymousreply 40May 15, 2017 1:53 AM

I've never thought about any risks outside of mercury - I guess ignorance is bliss. Now you've ruined one of my favorite foods. BOOOOO!!

by Anonymousreply 41May 15, 2017 1:53 AM

But saved your life R41. You are welcome.

by Anonymousreply 42May 15, 2017 1:55 AM

It's not technically sushi I guess, but I tend to get cooked/poached salmon rolls and mock crab rolls. Really tasty.

by Anonymousreply 43May 15, 2017 1:56 AM

[quote]Raw fish has a lot of worm.

Me Talk Pretty One Day

by Anonymousreply 44May 15, 2017 1:58 AM

R39 the amount of sugar and fats is not enough to kill you and YOU WON'T GET CANCER.

by Anonymousreply 45May 15, 2017 2:03 AM

Salmon is just as bad. Smoking it does not kill it anymore than lemon juice does to Sushi.

Cook with heat is the only sure way to kill worms.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 46May 15, 2017 2:04 AM

One theory is that Julius Caesar's seizures were due to worms from eating pork in Egypt while courting Cleopatra. Apparently, everybody who could afford to eat pork at the time and place had worms.

by Anonymousreply 47May 15, 2017 2:05 AM

I dont eat salmon sushi since it is prone to parasites. I rather die from mercury. Tuna suhi ftw

by Anonymousreply 48May 15, 2017 2:13 AM

Lets take a look inside your stomach shall we?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 49May 15, 2017 2:25 AM

I used to eat sushi but then there were all those stories in the news about hundreds of people getting intestinal parasites and hepatitis and other horrible diseases from it.

It's like an epidemic!! I mean I don't understand how they continue to sell it with all those people getting sick and almost dying from eating sushi.

So no one I know eats it. Certainly not anyone with manners.

We don't have sex either, because of all the STDs you can get. I mean rimming? Hello Gardia!! And that's it. Your life is over.

by Anonymousreply 50May 15, 2017 2:34 AM

I lived in Thailand for years.

I heard the worst stories...a woman told me about her lover being opened up on the operating table, his liver teeming with flukes and the surgeons sewing him up again to die basically.

by Anonymousreply 51May 15, 2017 3:32 AM

R33 I bought the geiger counter on Amazon and it tests for cesium 137 levels and radiation seiverts

by Anonymousreply 52May 15, 2017 3:37 AM

I'm stunned at how many people mention hepatitis.

There have been vaccines for Hepatitis A and B for years. Hepatitis C is only from blood.

It won't protect you from parasites. But it will allow you to eat oysters with more assurance.

by Anonymousreply 53May 15, 2017 3:40 AM

Clean as in neat and tidy, not clean as in radiation free.

E.g. A Japanese sushi place operates properly, a Chinese "sushi" place is basically a cheap ass shithole full of a bunch of dumb fucks who don't know what they're doing.

Oh, and Korean people, GET YOUR FUCKING PSEUDO-FOOD OFF OF THE MENUS IN SUSHI PLACES. You can save it for your get-over-the-decapitations-meeting at your local "kim-bahp" place. Enjoy this complementary history text. *motions the Koreans away*

by Anonymousreply 54May 15, 2017 3:51 AM

I never wanted to eat sushi or anything raw until I moved to Japan and ate it almost everyday from the supermarket after work. It tastes really good there and was inexpensive.

The Japanese have the highest life expectancy in the world and over 50,000 centenarians so I don't think sushi is as scary as some people think.

I don't live there anymore so I just eat it once every few months.

by Anonymousreply 55May 15, 2017 4:04 AM

r54 as someone who has lived in both Japan, China and Korea, your comment made me crack up!

by Anonymousreply 56May 15, 2017 4:19 AM

Koreans are the disaster of the Northern Asia area. Pigs.

by Anonymousreply 57May 15, 2017 4:35 AM

[quote]the amount of sugar and fats is not enough to kill you and YOU WON'T GET CANCER.

Did anyone else read this in Rosie O'Donnell's voice?

by Anonymousreply 58May 15, 2017 4:48 AM

I have a compromised immune system, so I'm forbidden to eat it. But this thread is so gross that now I'm thankful I can't eat it

by Anonymousreply 59May 15, 2017 5:09 AM

Meh. Everything is discovered to be "toxic" eventually... Hell, our soil where we get our veggies is often toxic.

You live, you eat and then you die.. might as well have a fun go of it.

by Anonymousreply 60May 15, 2017 5:14 AM

R30 Lots of people eat raw oysters. I'm 45, and 90% of my friends eat raw oysters.

You must be in some hick, backward part of the country. Carl's Jr. is haute cuisine to you, but there are places that really prize good food.

by Anonymousreply 61May 15, 2017 5:17 AM

R55 after Fukushima that will change dramatically

by Anonymousreply 62May 15, 2017 5:47 AM

I skimmed this thread, so this may have already been posted, but the horrifying x-ray images are from a pt who contracted a parasitic infection from RAW PORK not sushi, which is to say that this sushi scare story is a HOAX.

That hamachi hand roll is probably fine. However, you should still avoid pork tartare.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 63May 15, 2017 6:34 AM

I only eat small batch artisanal sushi to support local economy, from little fishing village Fukushima.

by Anonymousreply 64May 15, 2017 6:47 AM

I don't like sushi, but I do like my steak tartare.

by Anonymousreply 65May 15, 2017 12:45 PM

I assume the same hideous risks apply to anyone foolish enough to eat raw pussy.

by Anonymousreply 66May 15, 2017 12:48 PM

I like both meat and fish well done, though I've learned that I have to order "medium well" at restaurants or else the chef incinerates it just to show me what a cunt I am.

by Anonymousreply 67May 15, 2017 1:15 PM

Thank you, Datalounge, for throwing a constant flux of tapeworm infestations, blackhead removals and repulsively fat Redneckfrauen on to the front page where everybody HAS to view them, all day, every day.

IT MAKES LIFE SO MUCH BETTER!

by Anonymousreply 68May 15, 2017 6:53 PM

Dear God I hope I don't have parasites. Since yesterday morning I've an ache in my stomach, cramping, and loose stool after eating. Its never lasted this long without explanation. I don't eat sushi though. Why won't alcohol kill worms in your stomach? Worms I don't want worms.

by Anonymousreply 69May 15, 2017 8:38 PM

Can you lose weight if you get the worms at least?

by Anonymousreply 70May 15, 2017 8:39 PM

Yes R70, you can lose weight with worm infection. In fact, at some point around the turn of the 20th century, diet pills contained Tapeworm eggs that magically helped people lose weight. Magic weight loss pills. What really happens is that the tapeworm would grow inside of you and consume all the food you put into your stomach. The only problem is, worms keep growing in size as long as you feed them.

by Anonymousreply 71May 15, 2017 9:11 PM

R63, Worms are worms, even if the X-ray is from another food source, its still a guy infected with worms from raw food. Raw fish is the highest infestation rate since most people do not consume raw pork, frogs, or snakes.

by Anonymousreply 72May 15, 2017 9:15 PM

Im sorry this would go in the trash if I found worms in it. This bitch thinks it delicious.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 73May 15, 2017 9:18 PM

This "chef" makes Tapeworm Sushi! Bon Appétit!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 74May 15, 2017 9:20 PM

I've eaten sushi with no problem for years.

Fugu, on the the other hand…

by Anonymousreply 75May 15, 2017 9:25 PM

R26 - I made the comparison between climate change and flash freezing because they are both based upon science. It's very simple. Identify the potential threats and determine if flash freezing as required by the FDA prevents a food borne illness. It does.

Examples of what happens in nature don't apply in this case.

It's basic food science.

by Anonymousreply 76May 22, 2017 1:17 AM

EWWWWW....no.

Thank goodness, I haven't eaten Sushi in over 10 years. I just didn't want to chance my health.

Yeah, of course the Fukushima incident as well.

I don't eat raw oysters as well. I have taken the shots to prevent for Hep B. It's a series of 3 shots, taken once a month.

by Anonymousreply 77May 22, 2017 2:02 AM

I don't eat pork either. I rarely eat meat. Just chicken if ever.

by Anonymousreply 78May 22, 2017 2:08 AM

So hotdogs then?

by Anonymousreply 79May 22, 2017 2:17 AM

A big problem at present is such a high percentage of people are on maintenance doses of antacids that the natural protection against parasites, the normal low stomach PH, is not there. When the body senses protein intake, unless medicated to not do so, it increases acid production, as meat is what generally has parasites that could infect us.. Our stomach acid is more to kill parasites than to digest the food.

by Anonymousreply 80May 22, 2017 2:52 AM

R80 - hadn't thought about that. I take antacid nightly, and eat sushi all the time. Scary.

by Anonymousreply 81January 13, 2018 1:31 PM

You gays will stick your tongue up a guy's ass and you're worried about worms?

by Anonymousreply 82January 13, 2018 1:51 PM

Live in fear. It is the only way to happiness.

by Anonymousreply 83January 13, 2018 1:53 PM

What about 🥩 if it’s not fully cooked?

by Anonymousreply 84January 13, 2018 2:32 PM

Most sushi restaurants make non-sushi rolls on the same counters as the raw fish, with the same knives. So if there really is a hygiene problem in a restaurant then I'dd rather not eat any kind of roll. I don't like sushi so I usually got the cucumber avocado roll or the Philadelphia roll, but it's basically made right in front of you on the same counter. That particular restaurant has been open over 20 years with no issues & practically everyone I know has eaten there. After Fukushima, they changed some of their suppliers and dropped a lot of menu items.

by Anonymousreply 85January 13, 2018 3:36 PM

R16, where are you? are you ok now? sorry to hear...

by Anonymousreply 86January 13, 2018 5:48 PM

No, i haven't eaten in at least a decade. mostly coz the sea is sooo polluted and of course after the nuclear incident in Japan, nobody is telling the truth about it.

There are more dead zones in the sea now.

by Anonymousreply 87January 13, 2018 5:49 PM

hey, what about the microwave? does it really zap all the nutrients?

by Anonymousreply 88January 13, 2018 5:51 PM

Mad Cow Disease (Bovine Spongiform Encephalitis) and the similar wild game brain wasting diseases that are now found in wild deer and elk are very much like the untreatable, fatal human brain-wasting Creutzfeld-Jakob Disease (Human Spongiform Encephalitis). These terrible brain-destroying diseases are caused by a prion, smaller than a virus, that cannot be killed by any conventional cooking methods.

(Yes, spongiform means it turns your brain into a sponge.)

by Anonymousreply 89January 13, 2018 6:14 PM

R63 he's got a small pp

by Anonymousreply 90January 13, 2018 6:41 PM

I tried really hard to like sushi over the years but it didn't work. I just don't like it. I tried using condiments, or drinking alcohol beforehand, thinking it might help. But it didn't.

When it first came to the US it was quite a fad and cool people ate it. I wanted to be cool. But I never liked fish. I'll eat fish and chips, but that's it. I like shrimp and scallops, but not crab. I'm not crazy about lobster, except in bisque.

Wish I liked it

by Anonymousreply 91January 13, 2018 8:21 PM

Virtually all long-term sushi eaters are found to have parasites.

by Anonymousreply 92January 13, 2018 10:39 PM

NO BECAUSE IT'S ALL RADIATED FROM FUKUSHIMA LEAKAGE!!!!! I got thyroid cancer in 2015

by Anonymousreply 93January 13, 2018 10:51 PM

R93, are you in CA? hope you're ok now. hang tough!

by Anonymousreply 94January 13, 2018 10:52 PM

R94-am in Oregon-Let me be clear I AM A NON-SMOKER-I got cancer in 2015; had entire thyroid plus 4 throat and neck nodes removed. Am cancer free NOW but could return. I used to be a big fish and sushi eater. Tx

by Anonymousreply 95January 13, 2018 10:58 PM

A family friend works on, I guess, a tuna farm at sea in South Australia. All the best fish is frozen and send to Japan daily. It doesn't matter if the head of the tuna is off, so long as the body is beautiful, the Japanese buy it.

by Anonymousreply 96January 13, 2018 11:01 PM

A Fresno man who enjoyed eating raw salmon went to the emergency room where he told doctors to treat him for worms after making the gross discovery of a tapeworm while recently going to the bathroom.

Dr. Kenny Bahn told the story of his patient at Community Regional Medical Center in Fresno on the "This Won't Hurt A Bit" podcast. Bahn said the man came in complaining of bloody diarrhea, but told doctors "I really want to get treated for worms."

Bahn said he was skeptical of the patient at first until the man showed him proof.

"I take out a toilet paper roll, and wrapped around it of course is what looks like this giant, long tapeworm," Bahn said on the podcast.

When the parasitic worm was unraveled and laid out in the emergency room, the tapeworm measured 5 and a half feet long, which is the height of Bahn.

The man discovered the worm when he felt it wiggling out as he sat on the toilet. Banh said the man thought his "guts were coming out," until he started to remove the worm and it started moving.

Bahn said the patient was relieved to discover it was a tapeworm. The man was given a pill for treatment that would expel the rest of the worm from his body.

The patient swore to Bahn that he hadn't been out of the country, but he did eat raw salmon almost daily. The CDC reports that there has been an outbreak of Japanese tapeworms in Pacific-caught salmon.

After dealing with the tapeworm, the man said he'll no longer eat salmon.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 97January 18, 2018 2:25 AM

You've convinced me. No more poke for me.

by Anonymousreply 98January 18, 2018 2:50 AM

What were your symptoms, r95?

by Anonymousreply 99January 18, 2018 3:07 AM

Can I still eat blue steak?

by Anonymousreply 100January 18, 2018 3:05 PM

that is the most disgusting thing I've ever read! gross! a tapeworm from eating sushi!!!!!

i'm gonna puke, he said he thought his guts were coming out but it was the tape worm and it was over 5 ft long!!!!!!! eeeekkkkk!

by Anonymousreply 101January 19, 2018 10:09 PM

I’m glad I hate the taste of raw fish. It’s like my body knows it’s bad for me.

by Anonymousreply 102January 19, 2018 11:04 PM

Everybody has worms however the type of worm and size of infestation differ obviously. Most people will never know they have worms and most only find out if they do parasite cleanses or have compromised immune systems or other health issues. Raw fish/meat isn't the only danger. Most fluke parasites are ingested from raw vegetables. Parasite infection happens from touching a dirty door knob, drinking glass, hand etc. Order some parasite killing supplements and you will see. I was skeptical and a friend convinced me to take humaworm suplements and what I found in the toilet was like a monster movie. I went to an infectious diseases doctor and I did infact have flukes and whipworm infection for god knows how many years and I don't eat sushi.

by Anonymousreply 103January 20, 2018 5:15 AM

"Do you still eat Sushi?"

Not since Fukushima. I prefer to glow in the dark under my own power, though preferably because of whom I may be with at that particular time.

by Anonymousreply 104January 20, 2018 5:32 AM

R103, yikes! do you have any now?

i'm scared to find out!

by Anonymousreply 105January 20, 2018 6:30 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!