Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

‘X-Files’ Event Series to Return to Fox

‘X-Files’ Event Series to Return to Fox

Daniel Holloway, Senior TV Reporter, April 20, 2017 | 04:15PM PT

The truth is still out there. Again.

Fox has ordered a new 10-episode revival of “The X-Files,” the classic television sci-fi drama that returned to the network’s air with a limited series last year. The new installments — billed as a continuation of the 10-episode 2016 run, will premiere during the 2017-18 television season. The production will again reunite original stars David Duchovny and Gillian Anderson with series creator and showrunner Chris Carter, and is slated to begin production this summer.

“The X-Files” tells the story of Fox Mulder (Duchovny) and Dana Scully (Anderson), paranormal investigators for the FBI.

“Iconic characters, rich storytelling, bold creators – these are the hallmarks of great TV shows. And they are some of the reasons why ‘The X-Files’ has had such a profound impact on millions of fans worldwide,” said David Madden, President, Fox Broadcasting Company. “Chris’ creativity, along with the brilliant work of David and Gillian, continue to propel this pop culture phenomenon, and we can’t wait to see what fresh mysteries Mulder and Scully uncover in this next chapter of ‘The X-Files’.”

The 2016 limited-series revival of “The X-Files” averaged a multiplatform audience of 16 million viewers, according to Fox. It also averaged a 4.8 rating in the 18-49 demo, according to Nielsen live-plus-seven numbers, making it the fifth highest-rated broadcast series of the season.

“The X-Files” premiered on Fox in 1993. It became one of the definitive programs of the network’s early years, earning 16 Primetime Emmy Awards over its initial nine-season run.

Fox in recent years has leaned heavily into revivals of successful past series, bringing back “X-Files”and “Prison Break,” which is currently in the middle of a nine-episode run, as well as “24: Legacy” earlier this season.

The 2016 “X-Files” revival received a lukewarm reception from critics. In his review for Variety, Brian Lowry wrote, “While the performers have aged in only the most flattering of ways, and Fox has milked the build-up for all it’s worth, there’s a feeling that everyone is just going through the motions, despite the durability of the show’s central conceit about distrusting authority and the prospect of shadowy conspiracies reaching into the highest levels of government and business.”

Fox on Thursday also released teaser art for the new “X-Files”:

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 28February 10, 2018 4:58 PM
Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 1April 20, 2017 11:44 PM

EXCELLENT!

by Anonymousreply 2April 20, 2017 11:47 PM

Trailer for Season11.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 3October 8, 2017 8:13 PM

Fantastic promo. Old favorites back. Even at least one of the Lone Gunman and the actress who played Mrs Peacock.

Yes, I'm an X-file nerd.

by Anonymousreply 4October 8, 2017 8:18 PM

They are both still gorgeous.

That's good genes, good surgery and not eating for decades for you.

by Anonymousreply 5October 8, 2017 8:21 PM

Gillian's had sufficient.

[quote][bold]Are you still open to continuing on beyond this season?[/bold]

[quote]Gillian Anderson: No, no, I think this will be it for me.

[quote][bold]So, why did you want to do this season?[/bold]

[quote]Gillian Anderson: Because it felt like it wasn’t over. It didn’t feel like we necessarily deliver everything the fans were expecting of us last time, and so it was that.

[quote][bold]How much will you miss her if this is really it for you?[/bold]

[quote]Gillian Anderson: I don’t know. You may need to talk to me in a few years about that once I finally shut the door. You know, there’s always been this “maybe one more” thing hanging over, but when the door is finally shut, call me up and ask me that question again.

Of course, a cleanup attempt swiftly followed:

[quote][UPDATE: A representative from FOX has reached out and told Screen Rant that Gillian Anderson “has not commented on returning as it’s premature in that she is currently filming the new event series.”]

Seems like she's just upping the stakes for any possible renegotiation game in the future.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 6October 10, 2017 12:22 AM

New season starts Wednesday, January 3rd 2018, at 8 p.m.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 7November 15, 2017 9:50 PM

Saw the commercial and Mitch Pileggi continues to be a hot daddy. Duchovny's face is starting to look even more like a beagle, but Anderson is holding up.

by Anonymousreply 8November 29, 2017 12:38 AM

Thanks, gonna find it on yt hopefully. 1 month left! Nearly.

by Anonymousreply 9November 29, 2017 12:40 AM

Good grief! Isn’t everyone else bored with this crap by now? It jumped the shark so long ago! (Like after season two or theee!)

I don’t get the mentality of people/fans who just keep watching these long running series uncritically, long after they’ve ceased to be the fresh and innovative shows that once were. There’s so much other great new stuff out there - and so little time anyway. Why waste it on this?

by Anonymousreply 10November 29, 2017 12:47 AM

Just two more days now.

Meanwhile, Anderson confirms that's the end for her:

[quote]Anderson revealed in October that this would be her last go-round, a sentiment she is sticking by. “I’ve said from the beginning this is it for me,” she explains. “I was a bit surprised by people’s [shocked] reaction to my announcement…because my understanding was that this was a single season.”

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 11January 1, 2018 8:18 PM

Total waste of time. It’s visually bland, writing is terrible and dated and Scullys wig is just embarrassing. The Hated In The Nation episode of Black Mirror just shows out out of touch and stuck in the 90s this trash revival is.

by Anonymousreply 12January 1, 2018 8:22 PM

I was a big fan the first run. I preferred the supernatural ones to the FBI paranoia episodes. With the FBI now occupying a different space in the public mind, I wonder how this will play out.

by Anonymousreply 13January 1, 2018 8:27 PM

can a plastic surgery expect opine on what she has done to her face? I think it's good work! she looks good!

by Anonymousreply 14January 1, 2018 8:29 PM

I didn't realize this was already in the can. Have screeners been released? It has to be better than the last attempt, right?

by Anonymousreply 15January 1, 2018 8:41 PM

The AV Club gave the first episode a C+ so that's not a great start.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 16January 4, 2018 1:43 AM

did anyone watch? i missed it, will have to do it on demand later.

by Anonymousreply 17January 4, 2018 4:36 AM

Yeah. It wasn’t great, but I liked it enough. The people on A.V. Club are losing their minds because Cigarette Smoking Man, a character who is planning to murder the entire human race, had the nerve to (SPOILER ALERT!!!!) rape and impregnate a woman.

by Anonymousreply 18January 4, 2018 7:43 AM

Duchovny looks pretty beat up these days. I don't know if I would still do him anymore.

by Anonymousreply 19January 4, 2018 7:48 AM

The first episode was pretty terrible. The dialogue was especially bad. Like fan fiction bad.

by Anonymousreply 20January 4, 2018 8:29 AM

It's looking like it'll go out with a whimper. I liked the "monster of the week" episodes last season but can't be bothered about the conspiracy stuff. It's all become too convoluted by now.

by Anonymousreply 21January 4, 2018 12:04 PM

Is this show worth watching? I love Gillian but 209 episodes is too much for me

by Anonymousreply 22January 4, 2018 12:39 PM

Huge ratings drop for the premiere.

[quote]The season debut of the “The X-Files” revival was down significantly compared to last season’s debut

[quote]Airing at 8 p.m., “The X-Files” drew a 1.4 rating in adults 18-49 and 5.2 million viewers. That is down approximately 77 percent in the demo and 67 percent in total viewers compared to last season’s premiere (6.2, 16.2 million). In fairness, however, last season’s premiere had the benefit of debuting behind NFL football as well as having the curiosity factor for fans who wanted to see the show’s initial return. “The X-Files” finished last season averaging a 3.2 and 9.5 million viewers per episode in Live+Same Day.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 23January 4, 2018 6:52 PM

FOX confirms: no more X-Files without Anderson.

[quote]"It seems like if those are the circumstances there won't be any more X-Files," Dana Walden, Chairman and CEO of Fox, said.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 24January 4, 2018 8:47 PM

"Scully" trending on Twitter right now. I guess something big happened?

Can't wait to see the episode tomorrow.

by Anonymousreply 25January 18, 2018 2:02 AM

Will Scully tweet #metoo?

by Anonymousreply 26January 18, 2018 2:09 AM

Not really anything big. It was a creepy-enough episode.

It did have early season vibes.

The lady from "Home" is in it.

by Anonymousreply 27January 18, 2018 2:37 AM

[bold]David Duchovny Focuses on 'X-Files' Present, Not Future[/bold]

Duchovny is fucking done with our moaning about Anderson's departure.

[quote]“It’s a little cart before the horse, for me. It’s like, OK, there are issues to deal with or whatever, but let’s talk about the show. Let’s not talk about hypotheticals.”

[quote]“To me, it’s unfortunate that’s kind of like ‘the headline’ because, to me, the headline is: We just made 10 really kick-ass episodes of television, and please enjoy and don’t mourn the death of this show quite yet.”

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 28February 10, 2018 4:58 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!