Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Within 20 years of your death, you will be completely forgotten

Does that bother you?

by Anonymousreply 134August 3, 2018 12:34 AM

Within 100 years, 99.99999% of the people alive today will be completely forgotten. 20 years, 100 years, 1000 years... Time rolls on. Doesn't bother me in the least.

by Anonymousreply 1April 20, 2017 11:37 AM

I'm already forgotten. Screw everybody.

by Anonymousreply 2April 20, 2017 11:38 AM

I think more people will remembered longer and longer in this digital age. If Brenda Frazier can still be remembered today then so can you.

by Anonymousreply 3April 20, 2017 11:41 AM

How would it bother me? I'll be dead.

by Anonymousreply 4April 20, 2017 11:42 AM

Speak for yourself OP.

by Anonymousreply 5April 20, 2017 11:43 AM

Nearly all of us will be dead after twenty years

by Anonymousreply 6April 20, 2017 11:52 AM

r3 Who's Brenda Frazier?

by Anonymousreply 7April 20, 2017 11:54 AM

You should be ashamed R7. Recheck your "I'm Still Here" lyrics, and not the Shirley Temple rewrite. Let's stick to the Yvonne De Carlo original.

by Anonymousreply 8April 20, 2017 11:58 AM

True.

And everything that you think is a big deal to you now, will be totally gone...as though it never existed.

My dad was a successful physician...top of his (large) firm...won awards, etc. But as soon as he retired, all that prestige & power evaporated into thin air. The world moved on without him.

My mom, however, was a feminist activist. Decades after she died, the non-profit she started in the 1970s finally recognized her contribution. They dedicated a plaque and a yearly award in her honor.

Weird, huh? Mom died without prestige, but has a lasting legacy...that she never expected. Dad died with everything that everyone else wants....and was instantly forgotten.

My advice? Experience as many happy moments as you can. Those are what you'll remember & take with you. Seek them...develop them. Our experience here is brief. Take it all in as though you were a tourist in a foreign land....because, in truth, you actually are just visiting...

by Anonymousreply 9April 20, 2017 12:54 PM

Thank you for sharing your experience, r9! Sounds like you had (have) a wonderful family!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 10April 20, 2017 1:00 PM

20 years?! Ha! I suspect it won't take much longer than 2-3 years after my death to significantly fade from the minds of those I leave behind.

by Anonymousreply 11April 20, 2017 1:22 PM

My death will be instantly forgotten, I have no family. That is fine, our lives are like footprints in the sand, washed away by the waves.

by Anonymousreply 12April 20, 2017 1:40 PM

Most of us were forgotten long ago. Try frightening us with something we don't know.

by Anonymousreply 13April 20, 2017 1:49 PM

OP--silly cunt.

by Anonymousreply 14April 20, 2017 1:53 PM

Like sands through the hourglass...so are the days of our lives.

Poignant huh? Whatev. See you fugs on the other side. But, you first okay?

by Anonymousreply 15April 20, 2017 2:04 PM

For most (non-famous) people who have some connection to children, (grandkids, nieces, nephews, godchildren etc.) the time of remembrance is more like 70 years. My grandmother died 55 years ago and I remember her well. When I'm gone, no one will.

by Anonymousreply 16April 20, 2017 2:04 PM

R7 I think he means Brendan Frazer, the film star. Mostly gone, but not quite forgotten.

by Anonymousreply 17April 20, 2017 2:04 PM

No I mean Brenda Frazier, the socialite who appeared on the cover of Life after her debutante ball and immortalized by Sondheim in the song "I'm Still Here" when Carlotta sings about all the events/people/places she survived to still be there today.

Any respectable gay can hear Yvonne De Carlo (or even Ann Miller on the Papermill recording) add that little extra zip to Frazzzier when she sings, "I've been through Brenda Frazier, and I'm here!"

by Anonymousreply 18April 20, 2017 2:11 PM

R7 Brenda Frazier was a socialite and debutante years ago, with no discernable talent. She tried to commit suicide over 30 times - she was certainly consistent.

by Anonymousreply 19April 20, 2017 2:13 PM

obviously no talent for self annihilation

by Anonymousreply 20April 20, 2017 2:16 PM

No family left to remember me. Maybe a friend or two. I'm okay with that. Neither my brother or sister had kids. I've always referred to my family as the last dying branch on the tree, or 'The Fall of the House of Usher'. I still visit my parents' and other relatives' gravesites, but I know that no one will bother to visit mine. Dust in the wind.

by Anonymousreply 21April 20, 2017 2:27 PM

We all die twice; the first time when you physically die and the second time when the last person who remembers you dies.

by Anonymousreply 22April 20, 2017 2:44 PM

Well, I've actually planted lots of trees (literally) that I think will still be around when I'm no longer here, but I think other people may appreciate. So that's something that gives me a little satisfaction.

by Anonymousreply 23April 20, 2017 2:47 PM

That's a good idea r23. I like that.

by Anonymousreply 24April 20, 2017 2:52 PM

Oh please, Mary r22.

by Anonymousreply 25April 20, 2017 2:53 PM

I don't have family or kids so I don't expect to be remembered, which has never bothered me. Though I do sometimes wonder if someone in the future will come across some of the stupid shit I wrote online and piece together the idiot life I've lead.

by Anonymousreply 26April 20, 2017 2:53 PM

I never cared much about having kids to pass my memory along -- but I do like that my name is on some things that will be left behind for eternity. My image too. That feels immortal enough.

by Anonymousreply 27April 20, 2017 2:59 PM

depends on how the OP meant "forgotten". No one alive today" remembers" Lincoln, but he certainly is not "forgotten". Evidence of our existence, (gravestones, diaries, public records, memorial gifts,) can endure for centuries, but actual people who remember us have a finite span of a few decades. We could show up in some future generation's genealogical research as an extinct branch of the family tree.

by Anonymousreply 28April 20, 2017 3:08 PM

This thread is soooo Deep.

by Anonymousreply 29April 20, 2017 3:21 PM

Oh hell I fully expect to be completely forgotten within 20 days of my death.

by Anonymousreply 30April 20, 2017 3:29 PM

It's kind of comforting, actually. Makes it easier to let some things go that aren't such a huge deal in the long run.

by Anonymousreply 31April 20, 2017 3:30 PM

Its 21 years since my then partner Rory died, aged 35. He is not forgotten by me or his family.

by Anonymousreply 32April 20, 2017 3:38 PM

I have "Match Game" reruns on in background while I type and sometimes I have to remind myself that everyone on the panel is dead, save for Betty White. So they live on, even on some off network channel, and are hardly forgotten.

I think we all have some variation of that, whether we realize it or not.

by Anonymousreply 33April 20, 2017 3:45 PM

Life--it's a Match Game, and death is just the Game Channel.

by Anonymousreply 34April 20, 2017 3:49 PM

Amazing what we try to hide in this life for fear of what others may think.

Yet nothing matters and no one cares

by Anonymousreply 35April 20, 2017 4:01 PM

R32, I am very sorry for your loss. I must be having a MARY! day, but that surely made my eyes well up.

by Anonymousreply 36April 20, 2017 4:05 PM

I'm always amazed and saddened when someone close dies. In a day or two, the funeral process is over, and everybody returns to business as usual. We continue to grieve, but for everyone else a lifetime of memories almost seems to be forgotten in a heartbeat. So sad, so depressing for those left behind.

by Anonymousreply 37April 20, 2017 4:07 PM

I have 23 nieces and nephews whom I treat very well and who all adore me. The youngest is 6 months old. Trust me, I will be remembered longer than 20 years after my death.

by Anonymousreply 38April 20, 2017 4:37 PM

Thank goodness people will forget what a whore I am

by Anonymousreply 39April 20, 2017 4:40 PM

Hahahahaha R38. They adore your wallet. And when you're on your deathbed, alone, wondering where your 23 nieces and nephews who all adore you are, they are out having a good time with their also entitled friends, none of them giving you a second thought.

by Anonymousreply 40April 20, 2017 4:46 PM

It doesn't bother me whatsoever.

I don't get the great fear of mortality. I'm am enjoying my life well enough, one day it will be over and I'll be gone. The world will keep going and new people will live their lives, and that is the way it works.

by Anonymousreply 41April 20, 2017 4:50 PM

There are over 7 billion people in the world. So tell me how is everybody supposed to be remembered? If you lived without being starved out by the others, you did really well.

by Anonymousreply 42April 20, 2017 4:53 PM

[quote]We all die twice; the first time when you physically die and the second time when the last person who remembers you dies.

There was a scene in the book "Good-Bye Mister Chips" where the last student who remembers his wife visits him, then later dies in WW1.

by Anonymousreply 43April 20, 2017 4:53 PM

I happened across a great-aunt's grave. She was peculiar, avoided by her family, childless, but her marker said "In Loving Memory". If I didn't know anything about her I would have assumed she left behind dozens of grieving relatives after her very long life.

by Anonymousreply 44April 20, 2017 5:03 PM

Not always

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 45April 21, 2017 1:38 AM

I donated my body to science.

by Anonymousreply 46April 21, 2017 2:01 AM

I probably won't be FOUND until 20 years after my death. I have no friends or family.

by Anonymousreply 47April 21, 2017 2:04 AM

No. But 3 of my 4 grandparents have been dead 20 years, and I still think about all of them daily.

by Anonymousreply 48April 21, 2017 2:04 AM

Who was the top rated movie star in 1926? The answer is: 'Who knows and who cares?' Live while you are alive because you are a long time dead and quickly forgotten, as is everyone else.

by Anonymousreply 49April 21, 2017 2:14 AM

Gilda Gray was the biggest movie actress in 1926 with her hit film, Aloma of the South.

by Anonymousreply 50April 21, 2017 2:16 AM

R47 unless you live in the middle of Antarctica or die in an avalanche rest assured people will find you within 1-2 weeks.

by Anonymousreply 51April 21, 2017 2:37 AM

I think the idea of being forgotten is actually comforting. If we are forgotten so soon, then all the insecurities, flaws and frustrations which drive us nuts are of absolutely no importance.

Try to lead a decent life, and enjoy as much of it as you can, because none of it really matters.

by Anonymousreply 52April 21, 2017 2:42 AM

There are so many thoughtful, intelligent responses in this thread, that I'll make a certain point. A kind, engaged senior really will be missed. A nasty, argumentative senior, not so much.

by Anonymousreply 53April 21, 2017 2:55 AM

Kansas said it succinctly: all we are is dust in the wind.

by Anonymousreply 54April 21, 2017 2:59 AM

20 years? Try 20 minutes.

by Anonymousreply 55April 21, 2017 3:15 AM

Meh, I'll probably be largely forgotten before I die, and yet goatse will be immortal. Life, hey?

by Anonymousreply 56April 21, 2017 3:25 AM

In 20 years, I intend to be a big casket full of pudding.

by Anonymousreply 57April 21, 2017 3:26 AM

I have a 4' x 5' tombstone. At least I will be noticeable to people visiting the cemetery.

by Anonymousreply 58April 21, 2017 3:29 AM

If you come from a big family, have kids, or have been in the lives of other people's children a significant amount of time - you'll be remembered for quite a while longer than 20 years.

If you have accomplished enough in your life to get something named after you, have a plaque put up, start something from nothing and have it last you'll also be remembered.

The dentist I had when I was a kid died about 20 years ago. I still think about him all the time because he always gave me the best life advice. I think 20 years from now he'll still cross my mind every now and then.

by Anonymousreply 59April 21, 2017 3:32 AM

[quote]A kind, engaged senior really will be missed. A nasty, argumentative senior, not so much.

I dunno.... "Thank God that asshole's dead!" might result in several heartfelt parties and much rejoicing....

by Anonymousreply 60April 21, 2017 3:33 AM

Not me! Uh nah. On my way to being a great mogul as we speak. Give it until December.

by Anonymousreply 61April 21, 2017 3:57 AM

That's why gays are so creative and artistic. Can't keep genes going but your legacy is forever. Screw straight people.

by Anonymousreply 62April 21, 2017 3:59 AM

R57 An ambitious twenty year plan.

by Anonymousreply 63April 21, 2017 6:25 AM

If you paint or write something -even if you're not famous for it- you can "live" on longer.

But in 7 billion years the entire planet will be sucked into the sun. So everything - our history, memorabilia, technology, genealogy etc. - everything will be erased as though we never even existed.

Enjoy life today.

by Anonymousreply 64April 21, 2017 6:58 AM

It brings me comfort, but maybe that's because I hate myself ¯_(ツ)_/¯ I also find comfort in contemplating my own insignificance in the vastness of our universe and so on... I never understood why people find it depressing.

by Anonymousreply 65April 21, 2017 6:59 AM

Who has a living memory of her R50?

by Anonymousreply 66April 22, 2017 2:16 AM

All of us here, now, r66

by Anonymousreply 67April 22, 2017 2:19 AM

Jesus appeared at the foot of my bed and told me that if I troll Datalounge at least 12 hours a day we will all be together in the afterlife for eternity. I felt such peace and happiness. Then he said I should suck his dick and I said "I don't know, I don't really go for Christians sir" and he said something like I command thee, so there we were.

by Anonymousreply 68April 22, 2017 2:48 AM

Nonsense, R67.

by Anonymousreply 69April 22, 2017 3:00 AM

Gilda Gray lived until 1959 so there must be some seventy-something person who remembers her. Until six years ago I had a distant cousin with memories of my great grandmother who died in 1919.

by Anonymousreply 70April 22, 2017 4:16 AM

I think it's the opposite. It'd piss me off more if everybody except me got to enjoy the me-ness of me long after I was gone, but not me. I'm dead.

by Anonymousreply 71April 22, 2017 8:02 AM

The human race if its lucky probably has a few 10,000 years left. That's well before the 7 billion year mark. So goodbye to everything in the blink of an eye.

When I was a boy government, church, family, school, learning and making a career was so fucking important.

Now I know it doesn't mean shit. None of it.

by Anonymousreply 72April 22, 2017 4:27 PM

Speak for yourself op.

by Anonymousreply 73April 22, 2017 4:31 PM

OP is feeling his mortality.

by Anonymousreply 74April 22, 2017 4:36 PM

Genealogy is one of my hobbies. I think about ancestors I had hundreds of years ago. Thank goodness my nieces went along with my sister and I when we went to go vote for Hillary Clinton. I am of the opinion future generations are going to judge this past election harshly.

by Anonymousreply 75April 22, 2017 5:07 PM

At 52, I'm probably too young to think about dying but not too young to think about death.

I get depressed when I think about my career and how far I'll go. Will I make a lot more money before I have to stop working?

As a single, gay man, my career, and material possessions, is all I have to worry about.

My mother passed away almost 19 yeas ago. I think about her almost daily.

by Anonymousreply 76April 22, 2017 5:08 PM

[quote] My dad was a successful physician...top of his (large) firm

Since when do physicians belong to firms?

Large firms, at that

by Anonymousreply 77April 22, 2017 5:09 PM

Live fast! Die young! Leave a good looking corpse!

Does anything good happen after you turn fifty anyway?

by Anonymousreply 78April 22, 2017 5:23 PM

What about 48 years?

by Anonymousreply 79April 22, 2017 5:29 PM

I will remember you. Will you remember me?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 80April 22, 2017 6:06 PM

R76 I'm only in my 20s and I ponder the notion often. I'm still not sure how I feel about it all and what I want to do about impending inexistence. I picked up Heidegger (who talks at length about in/existence) but quickly stopped when I figured a) he's a massive Nazi tool, and b) why waste precious, finite hours & nights reading about mortality when I could just write my own words and live my own life?

One thing I have concluded is that people remember laughter. My hick dad is in his 60s and I've noticed that more & more these days likes to tell me stories about all the nutty country folk he knew growing up and their bumpkin shenanigans. They are always gently humorous or silly stories, he never speaks of anything tragic or traumatic in his life, even though he has epic experiences to tell that are exciting as he served in the Military. I don't think he'd agree to it, but I'm considering asking him to talk about his youth on tape so when he's gone in 20 years or whenever I'll have his voice and his bucolic yarns on physical copy, both to share with the world and to keep for myself and my family.

by Anonymousreply 81April 22, 2017 6:18 PM

I have no family or friends. Within 20 minutes of my death I will be forgotten. But as long as I'm alive my parents, grandparents and pets that died will never be forgotten and it's been decades since their death. I think it's that way for most people. Hey that was one of the premises of Roots, that those who lived and died even 100 years before would not be forgotten. Hell, I even think of my great, great grandparents that I never met but was only told about or my aunt who died at 4 years old when my father was 1. He didn't remember her but spoke of her as he was told about her. My heart breaks for that little 4 year old girl who died of the 1918 flu epidemic. I think of her often and of my father's mom, the grandmother I never got to meet, who was told by the doctor only, "Do you want her to die at home or in the hospital?. There was nothing medicine could do for the thousands, maybe 10s of thousands who died in that flu epidemic.

Yes when I go they will all be forgotten but most people don't have lives like me. They have kids and grandkids or maybe younger brothers and sisters who might have kids that they pass memories of the dead on to.

by Anonymousreply 82April 22, 2017 6:57 PM

This makes me think of all the cave people. No one remembers them at all, except in an evolutionary context. What about Gork and Przapa and their children Twoxl and Scigba? No one has thought about them for millions of years, but we exist today because of them.

by Anonymousreply 83April 22, 2017 7:07 PM

UMMMMM listen here buddy

by Anonymousreply 84April 22, 2017 7:14 PM

r83 Twoxl and Scigba are doing great, they've married into the Palin family.

by Anonymousreply 85April 22, 2017 7:14 PM

R1 is so statistical. AND profound.

Why, I'm ready to forget this tiresome yanker right this minute, and just hope she dies soon to fulfill her prophecy.

by Anonymousreply 86April 22, 2017 7:18 PM

Twoxl and Scigba are now my two favorite names for children.

by Anonymousreply 87April 22, 2017 7:27 PM

[quote] The foxglove bells, with lolling tongue/will not reveal what peals were rung/in Faery, in Faery/a thousand ages gone.

-Mary Webb

by Anonymousreply 88April 22, 2017 8:00 PM

None of you are worth remembering

by Anonymousreply 89April 22, 2017 8:01 PM

Friendo, so long as I've got a container of Folgers, a ham sandwich and a job site to go to, I don't worry about living and just get to working. These hands don't know the meaning of the word 'idle'. If you've got time for the Big Questions you've got too much Time altogether, Pointdexter.

by Anonymousreply 90April 22, 2017 8:52 PM

No. I like to remind myself from time to time that most things people obsess over will not matter in 6 months from now or once we leave this planet. It's a comforting thought to me.

by Anonymousreply 91April 22, 2017 9:04 PM

It will not take 20 years.

by Anonymousreply 92April 22, 2017 9:39 PM

Yeah. Ozymandias. That's all true.

by Anonymousreply 93April 22, 2017 10:36 PM

Untrue R90. The big questions are what we are meant to tackle.

by Anonymousreply 94April 23, 2017 12:01 AM

Heidegger is badly translated but impossible in any language.

by Anonymousreply 95April 23, 2017 12:08 AM

I have not forgotten everyone in 20 years, I remember them and still care about them.

by Anonymousreply 96April 23, 2017 12:16 AM

I had a close call with death a few years ago. I thought 'what a stupid life' but it's not like I lived it obliviously. I did everything I could to optimize it, but sometimes you hit a wall and coming close to 💀 doesn't magically fix that.

I did feel the weight of not having kids though. Not that I personally needed kids to remember me or to leave something behind, but I felt the weight of evolutionary responsibility that my short existence was due to an unbroken chain of successful mating and reproduction since the beginning of existence - until I broke it.

But then I thought of all my perfectly happy older, married relatives who couldn't or didn't have kids for one reason or another and snapped out of it.

by Anonymousreply 97April 23, 2017 12:17 AM

1926---the illustrious Gilda Gray

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 98April 23, 2017 12:23 AM

My vicious face slaps will go down in history

by Anonymousreply 99April 23, 2017 12:29 AM

15 Minute early talkie film staring the illustrious Gilda Gray---including colored people!

Title: He Was Her Man

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 100April 23, 2017 12:30 AM

I won't be forgotten OP. I have a grown up daughter, who'll remember me from time to time, as I do my father, who died over 40 years ago. Hopefully most of the memories will be good ones, as mine are. That's not at all unusual.

by Anonymousreply 101April 23, 2017 12:31 AM

I've already forgotten YOU, OP.

by Anonymousreply 102April 23, 2017 12:38 AM

She could have given G. some acting lessons, R100

by Anonymousreply 103April 23, 2017 12:41 AM

I'm in Australia and during the course of tracing my family I've discovered a great uncle who moved to Boston around 1920. I'm gathering any info I can find on him and his wife. They never had children.

They are not forgotten. You don't need offspring to be remembered.

by Anonymousreply 104April 23, 2017 1:03 AM

Assassination of a sitting president will earn you a few hundred more years of notoriety.

by Anonymousreply 105April 23, 2017 1:05 AM

R104, what was Great Uncle's name? I'm in Boston and do geno research. Maybe I could help you find info on him.

by Anonymousreply 106April 23, 2017 1:25 AM

When I was at the DataLounge convention earlier in the week, I stopped in Green-Wood Cemetery in Brooklyn, to visit my 2nd and 3rd great grandparents' and other family's graves. The oldest died in 1840 and I haven't forgotten him or any of them.

I also was allowed into a museum's storeroom in Manhattan where they have stored a portrait painted by my 1st cousin in 1833.

by Anonymousreply 107April 23, 2017 1:37 AM

R106 that would be fantastic, thank you. This is the info I have.

Joseph William Brewer, born Scotland 1889. The Boston address I have is 21 Temple St and his wife's name was Beatrice. The date of admission was June 21st, 1921.

by Anonymousreply 108April 23, 2017 1:45 AM

R108: Here is your Great Aunt and Uncle from their passport in 1925.

Joseph was a gardener and "Houseman", whatever that means. Temple Street is such a nice address, I think he probably was a live-in domestic servant.

I'll have more soon.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 109April 23, 2017 3:04 AM

Not really. As long as someone dusts the Oscars, I don't really care.

by Anonymousreply 110April 23, 2017 4:08 AM

Beatrice looks white adjacent, was she an Aboriginal?

by Anonymousreply 111April 23, 2017 4:19 AM

R109, Wow, thank you. He looks a little like my grandmother (she was hard looking) and I can see a resemblance to my Dad. I have that mouth, the big bottom lip. Only myself and my younger brother have it and no-one really knew where it came from.

R111. I don't think he ever came to Australia so I assume she was UK or US born. She may well be the reason he went to the US.

by Anonymousreply 112April 23, 2017 4:57 AM

R108, you might want to verify all this yourself but I think it's accurate. That's it from me.

James Brewer (1861 - 1929) and Charlotte Anna Garrett (1865 - 1909) married on 31 Jul 1889 in Midlothian, Scotland or in Boston, MA. They had at least nine children.

Charlotte Anna Garrett's parents were Joseph (1843 - ?) and Elizabeth Garrett (1839 - ?)

Joseph William Brewer (1889* - 1955) was born in Edinburgh, Scotland to James and Charlotte Brewer. He married Beatrice Flanagan (1891 - 1968) on 8 May 1914.

Joseph served 6 years in the British Army. He was 6'1-1/2"tall. Medium build, dark brown hair, and blue eyes. 162 pounds in 1925. Beatrice was born in Athenry, Galway, Ireland. It looks like Joseph & Beatrice may have moved back to England and may be buried there.

*year of birth may alternately be between 1888 and 1894, but is always listed as 2 Oct.

by Anonymousreply 113April 23, 2017 5:16 AM

Not really. I'm too busy doing things that will probably ensure I'll last in public memory. Not that I care much.

by Anonymousreply 114April 23, 2017 5:50 AM

Everybody should be remembered like every leaf that ever existed should be remembered. Yeah that makes sense.

by Anonymousreply 115April 24, 2017 12:35 AM

For me it's quite ironic that a thread about death would have so many references to Gilda Gray, as wakes have been held for many of my relatives in the house Gilda Gray used to live in!

by Anonymousreply 116April 24, 2017 1:06 AM

Yes, it's clear that things matter less and less over time (and often, at a brisk pace) but the problem is that in the moment, everything always feels like it matters so much. And knowing that it won't matter later, for me, is of no help.

by Anonymousreply 117April 24, 2017 1:22 AM

I went through a very dramatic depressive period a few months ago which lasted about a week (it was medication triggered) and I haven't felt so utterly lonely and alone in ...maybe ever. One of the thoughts that haunted me was the loss of my past, my memories of what were important to me or even that these things had ever existed or happened, and then that I will also vanish and be lost in the darkness for ever. It was a very harrowing and profound and devestating feeling. But now its gone and, not only do I not feel that way, I can't really remember what those feelings felt like other that knowing that I had them. Sometimes now I just wish the things I've said and done (the rude things, the idiotic comments, the embarrassments) could be completely forgotten by others and not have to wait until 20 after I'm gone. These people with perfect memories... I think I would walk around in a perpetual embarrassed cringe.

by Anonymousreply 118April 24, 2017 1:23 AM

R117 The story of the life of everyone who ever lived.

by Anonymousreply 119April 24, 2017 1:23 AM

Why does it seem people in pictures from long ago never smiled? Didn't the photographers of those days ever say smile and say cheese? They all look like mug shots.

by Anonymousreply 120April 24, 2017 1:32 AM

It's because life then was even far far worse than it is now.

by Anonymousreply 121April 24, 2017 1:46 AM

Barring an accident or illness, I should be alive in 25 years. Which means I'll probably be uploaded into a machine before my body gives out.

I wrote this as a joke and then realized it's more probable than not. The future is going to be weird.

by Anonymousreply 122April 24, 2017 1:48 AM

R122 Like the present isn't?

by Anonymousreply 123April 24, 2017 1:58 AM

R120/121: Also the exposure time was longer than today. You had to sit still. It's harder to hold a genuine smile for a long period.

by Anonymousreply 124April 24, 2017 2:01 AM

I used to think that now that we have the internet, everything will be preserved. But it's not at all. It is very difficult to find things from 2007 much less 1997.

by Anonymousreply 125April 24, 2017 2:04 AM

Buy your burial plot now, and upgrade to modern standards. A nice pre-engraved granite grave marker can be pre-placed, and could easily last hundreds of years.

by Anonymousreply 126April 24, 2017 2:39 AM

Not me bitches. I will be famous.

by Anonymousreply 127April 24, 2017 2:47 AM

unless your famous....

by Anonymousreply 128April 24, 2017 4:05 AM

I hope you realize, R127, that fame is like a tattoo. You can't easily undo it later, if your tastes change over the years.

by Anonymousreply 129April 24, 2017 4:05 AM

Or you just will never have existed at all, OP.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 130August 2, 2018 11:14 PM

Since I'm an actor, I've left some performances behind that I think will be appreciated past 20 years. I hope.

by Anonymousreply 131August 2, 2018 11:38 PM

At my last family reunion we all talked about a lady relative of ours born on 1865 and died in 1957. So.....

a big bullshit to you OP.

by Anonymousreply 132August 3, 2018 12:07 AM

[quote] depends on how the OP meant "forgotten". No one alive today" remembers" Lincoln, but he certainly is not "forgotten".

I know this is DL and we get all types, but I can't believe someone thought this needed to be explained.

by Anonymousreply 133August 3, 2018 12:13 AM

It’s okay with me. We are dust in the wind.

by Anonymousreply 134August 3, 2018 12:34 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!