Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Veep is no longer funny

The first episode of the new season was TERRIBLE. The writing was awful and the characters are totally played out. It just kept ratcheting up filthier and filthier jokes out of the mouths of Julia Louis Dreyfus and Anna Chlumsky.

I'm not a prude (or a woman) but I simply don't find Selina joking about being gang raped in college the least bit funny. And that was one of about 8 XXX-rated jokes out of the mouths of JLD and AC.

by Anonymousreply 111August 16, 2018 6:13 PM

I don't watch shit like that.

by Anonymousreply 1April 19, 2017 11:37 PM

I like the show, but I fell off with season 4 (never made it past the 3rd or 4th ep) the show has served its purpose and really didn't need more than 4 seasons.

by Anonymousreply 2April 19, 2017 11:38 PM

I disagree, OP. Veep consistently makes me laugh out loud, which no other current comedy can do. And you are somewhat of a prude. The fact that these people are such vulgarians, in sharp contrast to the noble types who populated The West Wing, is part of what makes it so funny.

by Anonymousreply 3April 19, 2017 11:44 PM

I tried watching it but I go so tired of the same scenes of a posse surrounding the VP all looking at their cell phones and tapping away.

by Anonymousreply 4April 19, 2017 11:49 PM

Sounds like the current crop in the real west wing, then, r3.

by Anonymousreply 5April 19, 2017 11:51 PM

Which was the last season. The last episode I saw was when she could lose the presidency to her popular VP running mate Dr. House.

by Anonymousreply 6April 19, 2017 11:51 PM

If anything, I found the first episode of the new season to be really funny. Fast forwarding the timeline by a year was a good idea.

by Anonymousreply 7April 20, 2017 12:00 AM

I have to agree with the OP on this one. It just wasn't funny. I hate saying that because I fucking love this show. I just hope the next episodes return to the superb level of acting and writing I have come to expect.

by Anonymousreply 8April 20, 2017 12:03 AM

I never found this show likable. Her character seems exhausting and one-note. Something about Julia Louis-Dreyfus these days also turns me off too, probably since her Howard Stern interview. I adored her in Seinfeld, but she seems so full of herself now. On Howard Stern a few years ago she was so self-involved, so-humorless, you wanted to slap her. It was such a letdown. To each their own though.

,,,don't get me started on Jerry Seinfeld. lol

by Anonymousreply 9April 20, 2017 12:05 AM

What's the set up this season, is she out of power or what.

by Anonymousreply 10April 20, 2017 12:57 AM

Agree w OP. Really like the show but disappointed w this episode

by Anonymousreply 11April 20, 2017 1:12 AM

Yes, r10, she lost the presidency at the end of last season, and this season picks up one year later.

So, is this the last season? They made it clear she can't run for President again, and all the other characters (except for Gary and Richard) have their own stories without Selena. Everything seems disconnected, and it's hard to see the show going on much longer.

by Anonymousreply 12April 20, 2017 1:14 AM

I lasted halfway through the first season; hateful people saying hateful things to each other loudly and hatefully. And swearing like motherfuckers! Ha ha!

How Julia won so many Emmys astounds me.

by Anonymousreply 13April 20, 2017 1:42 AM

I agree, OP. I've loved the show since the beginning but it got tedious listening to the vulgar and unfunny lines. I just imagine the writers sweating to turn out the perfect filthy phrase, but that didn't disguise the shaky frame of the show with the cast scattered all over the place. Imma keep watching with fingers crossed. Oh, I still hate Jonah's character - so not needed.

by Anonymousreply 14April 20, 2017 1:46 AM

They're all scattered around now & the show follows their separate lives? That sounds pointless.

by Anonymousreply 15April 20, 2017 1:47 AM

She's toying with running for president. Everyone around her is saying no, but obviously there would be no other story unless she did.

by Anonymousreply 16April 20, 2017 2:07 AM

I thought last season, the first without Armando Iannucci executive-producing, sucked too.

by Anonymousreply 17April 20, 2017 2:20 AM

Like r2 I just couldn't get through season 4. The first ep of season 3 was a turn off and I never really got back into the groove of the show. I loved The Thick of It but this American cousin just wasn't as good.

by Anonymousreply 18April 20, 2017 2:50 AM

I have never seen even one episode of this show but I did read that JLD's character is not even the Veep anymore. How do they keep the show going? Some shows just stay on too long.

by Anonymousreply 19April 20, 2017 3:34 AM

R19, she hasn't been the Veep for years. If you don't watch the show you have nothing to add.

by Anonymousreply 20April 20, 2017 3:41 AM

I like Julia, but I dislike the show overall. It's too vitriolic for no reason other than to make a sardonic remark every minute.

by Anonymousreply 21April 20, 2017 4:23 AM

This episode was the first I've seen of the show. It was really funny! I'm impressed.

by Anonymousreply 22April 20, 2017 4:59 AM

JLD is NOT funny.

by Anonymousreply 23April 20, 2017 5:24 AM

Hilarious in early years but last season showed its best days are past.

by Anonymousreply 24April 20, 2017 9:24 PM

The original version of this show, The Thick Of It (British of course), was infinitely better and smarter.

by Anonymousreply 25April 20, 2017 9:32 PM

I would be luxuriating on a yacht, were I a billionaire like JLD.

by Anonymousreply 26April 20, 2017 9:35 PM

Yesr26 that's what the world needs, another useless socialite doing sweet FA day in day out, spending money they didn't earn.

by Anonymousreply 27April 20, 2017 9:41 PM

r21 is getting good use out of his word-a-day calendar

by Anonymousreply 28April 20, 2017 10:29 PM

Veep is one of the greatest shows in history and JLD deserved every one of her Emmys (and is coming for the sixth in September!) Seethe OP

by Anonymousreply 29April 21, 2017 3:01 AM

Sorry, OP, the season opener was funny as hell. I like that all of them are having trouble adjusting to their new lives, everything seemed chaotic before but now Selina and company are all high-pitched and spinning out of control. I agree that JLD rules. They should just start fedexing the Emmys right to her. Wasn't all that bothered by the vulgarity because it feels authentic with this crew.

by Anonymousreply 30April 21, 2017 3:49 AM

Politicians have said Veep is the most accurate reflection of political life of all the Political shows. So it's too bad if people don't like the vulgarity or the selfish self absorbed narcissistic characters, it's the reality of political life.

by Anonymousreply 31April 21, 2017 3:53 AM

I'm glad HBO has decided this season is its last. It really should have ended last season, after she lost.

by Anonymousreply 32April 21, 2017 3:54 AM

It was a little better than last week; not as relentless with the profanity dropping like lead balloons. I laughed a couple of times. They are making Selina even more hateful though - demanding a library and trying to finagle funding, but it's good to see her having to eat shit, like finding out that Andrew is a cheating creep.

You can see that they're setting up for Amy and Dan to go back to working for Selina. Both of them are shown as having problems in their jobs, and eventually they'll be looking to get out. I don't really care if they all get together - I'm no longer that invested in the show. The one thing I didn't get the ending with Amy - what was the "loving girlfriend" act she was putting on in front of the camera after his arrest.

by Anonymousreply 33April 24, 2017 6:19 PM

It looks like Selina is heading back to the Oval in season 7, if pictures of the season 6 finale shoot are any indication. JLD in her trademark Presidential pompadour wig

by Anonymousreply 34April 26, 2017 1:47 AM

I'm still liking it.

Plus it has Reid Scott.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 35April 26, 2017 1:51 AM

Episode 2 made up for the Episode 1 hiccup, in my opinion. Selena is becoming more hateful with age, and deterioration of success, but that's part of the fun and reality of the show. I thought episode 2 was hilarious.

by Anonymousreply 36April 26, 2017 1:55 AM

Where are said pictures, R34? Google is not my friend on this one.

by Anonymousreply 37April 26, 2017 2:52 AM

0P, you just haven't been gang-raped by the right people to find it funny.

Better luck next time.

by Anonymousreply 38April 26, 2017 3:01 AM

Episode 2 was much funnier than the season premiere. I loved when Selina told her ex-husband's mistress to "take [your] crayons and get the fuck out" at the end, lol.

by Anonymousreply 39April 26, 2017 4:04 AM

I still love it.

by Anonymousreply 40April 26, 2017 1:35 PM

The one thing I hope to see is that awful guy (senator/aide/representative?) who berates his male assistant all the time get decapitated by the guy when he finally snaps. That mess was funny for a while but watching him be an absolute bastard in the last episode made me want to see him die in a painful way.

by Anonymousreply 41April 26, 2017 2:31 PM

No comment on the quick shot of Reid Scott in a speedo? Though I'm not sure how his toupee would survive his polar bear swim.

by Anonymousreply 42April 26, 2017 5:27 PM

[R37]

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 43April 27, 2017 10:37 PM

I was hoping that Sue would appear but apparently the actress has taken the year off for personal reasons. I'll miss her no bullshit attitude.

by Anonymousreply 44April 27, 2017 10:42 PM

Sue is in the White House working for Presidenta Montez. Sucks we won't be seeing her this year :(

by Anonymousreply 45April 27, 2017 11:13 PM

One of the worst stupidest tv series ever, with an unnattractive woman playing the same character she played in three previous series. It's dumb. Get over it. Seinfeld does not hold up. Jerry, a cunty snob, George, an untalented, ugly, unfunny dork; Elaine, witch faced billionaire. Kramer was the only funny one, and he wore thin. Veep is one of those series smug people watch thinking how smart they are for watching it. Amateurish drivel, no Emmys deserved, cancel it now, please. NOTHING of interest on HBO since True Blood, and it pretty much sucked overall. Don't get me started on the mess that is Girls.

by Anonymousreply 46April 27, 2017 11:25 PM

If Seinfeld doesn't hold up then why are they still playing reruns at least twice a day?

by Anonymousreply 47April 27, 2017 11:44 PM

I haven't watched any of Julia's shows after Seinfeld, but she seemed pretty funny in the Old Navy commercials.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 48April 27, 2017 11:49 PM

Seethe R46, Seethe!

by Anonymousreply 49April 28, 2017 12:34 AM

You just know that R46 pleasures himself to some Greg Berlanti-produced schlock on CW.

by Anonymousreply 50April 28, 2017 12:45 AM

I did find the first episode funny but it's going to fail unless they back to politics fast. This scattered stories thing doesn't work. They fucked up with having her lose the Presidency.

by Anonymousreply 51April 28, 2017 1:10 AM

Still funny, but past its glory days. Unlike Silicon Valley, which is as funny as ever.

by Anonymousreply 52April 28, 2017 1:34 AM

I love this show but so far this season sucks ass.

by Anonymousreply 53April 28, 2017 2:15 AM

You can find ANY ancient series being rerun all over tv--even some of the pay cable channels run old series. Most are pretty bad. Doesn't mean they hold up, the fact they're stil in reruns, fartbox.

by Anonymousreply 54April 28, 2017 5:41 AM

Was Dan Bakkedahl in the episode? He's the only one I find funny.

by Anonymousreply 55April 28, 2017 5:46 AM

What's this about Reid Scott in a Speedo? Pic please!

by Anonymousreply 56April 28, 2017 5:51 AM

R55...why did this post go here? This site is messed up!

by Anonymousreply 57April 28, 2017 5:58 AM

Last nights episode was pretty damn funny. Gary's stuff especially.

by Anonymousreply 58May 8, 2017 4:34 PM

Reid Scott is so hot; I wish they'd find an excuse to show Dan in his underwear.

by Anonymousreply 59May 8, 2017 6:12 PM

DL non-fave Stephen Fry shows up in Ep 4 as a chemical burn victim with a bad "Russian" accent. It's all very weird.

The season so far is all over the place, since the characters have been dispersed from the White House.

by Anonymousreply 60May 8, 2017 8:54 PM

I generally agree. Haven't found it that funny this season. And, I'm not someone who was bothered when Iannucchi left. I thought last season, without him, was pretty great. But, this season is a big drop or me.

by Anonymousreply 61May 8, 2017 9:35 PM

for me

by Anonymousreply 62May 8, 2017 10:23 PM

I still like it. There have been great moments like Selena announcing she wants to run again and everyone reacting to this decision like it's the worst thing theyve ever heard. Amy abandoning her fiancé the minute he drops out of political life and Dan happily agreeing to hand his sperm over to Catherine without much thought. However as much as I love the left wing Finnish PM Mina who lacks a filter and is confused by hypocrisy, suddenly believing that Selina was her best friend when in the past their relationship has been only civil, was a ridiculous plot line.

by Anonymousreply 63May 9, 2017 12:09 AM

I hate this show.

by Anonymousreply 64May 9, 2017 12:11 AM

The Thick of It and Veep shared the same executive producer, r25, but the former is in no way the "original version" of the latter. They are entirely different shows.

by Anonymousreply 65May 9, 2017 12:21 AM

God, Selina is hateful. I can't even find humor in her absolute nasty self centeredness anymore. And Jonah makes me feel dirty.

by Anonymousreply 66May 15, 2017 5:05 AM

R66: I've noticed that she's gotten even nastier this year.

by Anonymousreply 67May 15, 2017 5:07 AM

It not the same show any more. Damn.

by Anonymousreply 68May 15, 2017 5:42 PM

Oh c'mon Selina's angry breakdown in the 'Chicklet' episode was hysterical -"my panty hose go up too high".

And Silicon so far this year is a disappointment for me. The writing is getting desperate with secret contracts and reversals of fortune in an instant - it's hard to actually care.

But with all the craziness going on in the real White House, I find VEEP disturbing and funny.

by Anonymousreply 69May 15, 2017 6:19 PM

Selina has sunk to the depths of narcissism. I hated her when Selina made Mike give her the letter he'd written for the kids school to the library benefactor, that was so cold. She didn't give a second's thought to the fact that Mike asked for her help and she just ripped it away from him. I'm waiting for the day when Catherine tells her off. She's about the only character I still like. I know a lot of people like Richard Splet(?), but I find his character too juvenile and silly.

Gary was always kinda creepy, but he was on a new level when he got jealous of Selina laughing and lounging with Mike.

by Anonymousreply 70May 15, 2017 8:10 PM

I have to say, it's pretty brave of the show to make Selina so awful. She has no redeeming qualities. And now that she's become openly hateful and even more vicious, I'm kind of rooting for her to have another even more serious heart attack. I wonder if that's how they'll end the show.

by Anonymousreply 71May 15, 2017 8:17 PM

The show purposely made her political affiliation ambiguous but these days, I think it's pretty clear that she's GOP.

by Anonymousreply 72May 15, 2017 10:57 PM

I wonder why the show doesn't do nudity like other HBO shows?

by Anonymousreply 73May 15, 2017 11:11 PM

She's a Dem.

by Anonymousreply 74May 16, 2017 5:15 PM

Mina is a great character.

by Anonymousreply 75May 16, 2017 5:19 PM

In general, HBO has sucked since True Blood--and it wasn't all that good then! We dropped it and have TMC, Showime, and Starz. Star has The White Princess, which isgreat, and Outlander, sometimes boring but still pretty and a romp. HBO truly has sucked except for Oz and SFU; TB was inconsistent although many characters were great.

Can't stand JLD at this point in time.

by Anonymousreply 76May 16, 2017 5:29 PM

I'm with VEEP as long as Richard Splett is. His masturbation scene ("the devil's handshake") was brilliant.

by Anonymousreply 77May 16, 2017 5:45 PM

R72/R74, the show drops hints that could go either way (deliberately I'm sure).

by Anonymousreply 78May 16, 2017 6:21 PM

The stuff with Margaret Colin as Jane, with Dan as the reluctant co-anchor of the CBS morning show, is very funny. That and Catherine and the deadpan girlfriend are what keep me coming back. But I'd like to vet a shakeup and a better season after this.

by Anonymousreply 79May 16, 2017 10:25 PM

Naturally Richard has never masturbated or ever given it much thought other than just taking his dad's word that it's wrong. The only other character who could get away with with the level of innocence was Kenneth the Page.

by Anonymousreply 80May 17, 2017 12:13 PM

Is Richard gay? Remember all the "hot interns" he hired for Jonah? He has good taste in men 😆

by Anonymousreply 81May 17, 2017 12:31 PM

And I love Richard's other euphemism for jerking off: "self-husbanding"

by Anonymousreply 82May 18, 2017 7:08 PM

When will we get a sex scene featuring Reid Scott?

by Anonymousreply 83May 18, 2017 7:25 PM

5 years if any show us all you need.

by Anonymousreply 84May 18, 2017 7:31 PM

I don't like this show I tried and didn't liked it but I liked The Thick of It Capaldi was amazing in that show

by Anonymousreply 85May 18, 2017 7:37 PM

I just watch the show for Gary. Tony Hale is brilliant.

by Anonymousreply 86May 18, 2017 7:37 PM

I didn't see it at the beginning of the season, but now I do. The last episode where they brought back Hugh Laurie was painful. I'm checking out.

by Anonymousreply 87May 29, 2017 9:13 PM

I watch for Tony Hale, too, Gary is one of my favorite characters on tv. I roared when he had the heart attack and was saying all kinds of crap from being medicated. Just the way he said "Yeah, who gives a shit?" killed me.

by Anonymousreply 88May 30, 2017 12:21 AM

Wow, the writers are going to the bottom of the barrel to make the show edgy. The story lines are all over the place, trying to squeeze all of the scattered characters into a half hour. The show has lost a lot of its zing and is now a vehicle for the writers to see who can come up with the wittiest/dirtiest lines. Though I did like the line that Amy said, describing a bad situation being like "a baby who overflowed his diaper and shit was running out of the leg holes and up the back".

Otherwise, it is just watching Selina being a mean bitch to her daughter, Mike, Gary etc or inappropriately sexual with that new BF. I will always hate the Jonah character.

by Anonymousreply 89June 19, 2017 3:23 PM

Reid Scott steals every scene he's in. He could be the next George Clooney if properly managed.

by Anonymousreply 90June 19, 2017 3:28 PM

[quote]the show drops hints that could go either way (deliberately I'm sure).

They purposely don't harp too much on it, but there are some obvious tells she is a democrat. Notably during the whole election debacle you could see their electoral map where Selina is classified as a dem and the the states she won are in blue.

by Anonymousreply 91June 19, 2017 3:31 PM

I love "Veep" but I also agree with OP that in general this season has not been their strongest effort. There is a lot of mistake super foul language with humor that seems it is just trying too hard. Selina has been getting flanderized to be an even more ridiculously awful person with no redeeming qualities. And just in general it doesn't work quite as well, go watch an episode from season 2 and 3 and then one from this season.

Not their strongest work. Still though, enjoy the show and cast and I will keep watching til the end.

by Anonymousreply 92June 19, 2017 3:35 PM

The character of Jonah's uncle is too over the top; hopefully he won't be making an appearance in next weeks finale cause that was bad. The scene with him insulting and laughing at Jonah's fiancee was cringe-worthy.

by Anonymousreply 93June 19, 2017 5:27 PM

I still crack up a couple times per episode, but R92 is right that Selina has been Flanderized. Not just to be awful but to make so many stupid blunders that you can't believe she ever managed to be on a winning Presidential ticket in the first place.

by Anonymousreply 94June 19, 2017 6:16 PM

The last season I saw was when she assumed the presidency and it was in about her campaign. She was running with Dr. House who everyone liked better. I thought the election was going to go to the actual House and they were going to pick him to be president and then he would pick her to be his Veep.

That was how I thought they would have her being Veep again. That did not happen?

by Anonymousreply 95June 20, 2017 2:18 AM

No, she's now out of office and there's no path for her to get back in.

by Anonymousreply 96June 20, 2017 3:00 AM

The most recent episode was hilarious. Peter McNichols scene toward the end was funny as hell.

by Anonymousreply 97June 22, 2017 11:58 AM

This season has gotten better in the final stretch. HBO is billing Sunday's ep as "season finale;" so is there another to come? I want to see Katherine run for office, or Jonah working at a low-watt radio station.

by Anonymousreply 98June 22, 2017 2:40 PM

Yes r98, Veep was already renewed for another season r98.

by Anonymousreply 99June 22, 2017 2:47 PM

Amy is pregnant with Dan's baby. The Veep team, sans Mike, is back together for Selina's next run for POTUS. Jonah is the Sanders stand-in?

by Anonymousreply 100June 26, 2017 3:08 AM

The finale was great.

by Anonymousreply 101June 26, 2017 5:11 AM

The finale was pretty good, better than the rest of the season. Agree that it wasn't as good overall this season (and started really slow, IMO), but it was better over the last 3 episodes. I thought Silicon Valley was really down this season, not as good as previously.

by Anonymousreply 102June 27, 2017 10:25 PM

The next season will be the last one.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 103September 7, 2017 5:30 PM

Thanks, r103. That's interesting. I hope it's a great final ten episodes.

I predict she gets elected in the last episode but something happens to make it impossible for her to take office again (which could range from lightning strike to her daughter releasing the video to god knows what)

I love the show but it is probably time to go. I only wish each good season was longer.

by Anonymousreply 104September 8, 2017 6:57 PM

I can't bring myself to watch anything WH-related after the election. Looking at these assholes in power was the height of entertainment during Obama's presidency but I find myself perceiving this show differently with the current regime occupying the WH.

Seven seasons is a good run.

by Anonymousreply 105September 8, 2017 7:07 PM

"to "take [your] crayons and get the fuck out"

Lol

by Anonymousreply 106September 8, 2017 7:50 PM

What will Elaines next series be? Elaine goes to work in Disneyland? Elaine is a coke ho on the streets of Chicago? Elaine works in an LA soup kitchen and finds love? Elaine is a kindergarten teacher longing to be in show biz? Elaine is the wacky secretary for a tree service in Columbus? Elaine is a crazed bodega clerk accusing immigrants of shoplifting gum and soda?

by Anonymousreply 107September 9, 2017 1:51 PM

[quote]And that was one of about 8 XXX-rated jokes out of the mouths of JLD and AC

Women are allowed to make dirty jokes. Don't be an idiot.

by Anonymousreply 108September 9, 2017 1:56 PM

I didn't care who was delivering the bad jokes in lieu of plot development. R108 is falsely claiming that the complaint is about the jokes being from women. No, you silly thing.

The complaint is about these particular female characters delivering bad lines in bad episodes. I always liked the horrible-hilarious sex-and-scat language in VEEP, partly because it was hilarious and partly because that's how these people talk in real life. Last season the jokes were overreaching and overly elaborated. Too developed and constructed - not coming out of the personalities of the characters but out of the exhaustion of the writers.

Last season was just bad. And having played out to a point where nothing they did was working, the thought of yet another season is unappealing. I won't bother. The show has been one of the best ever. Let it die.

And R108 is just another SJW seeing trouble because it needs trouble to feel superior. R108 is a cunt.

by Anonymousreply 109September 9, 2017 2:03 PM

Maybe the biggest real laughs I've had from a tv show ever came from the "Testimony" episode in '15, where Congress had access to "the Jonad files."

The Cloud Botherer

Benedict Cums-in-his-own-hand

Spewbacca

(etc.)

by Anonymousreply 110September 9, 2017 2:12 PM

The final season of Veep is now filming

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 111August 16, 2018 6:13 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!