Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

New Gay Bar REBAR in NYC’s Chelsea Neighborhood Accused of Racist Door Policy

I wonder if there will be a "Love Trumps all hate" gay outcry for this.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 137March 20, 2021 12:35 AM

This is why I find it hilariously condescending to be lectured to about racism by the race most responsible for spreading it.

by Anonymousreply 1April 18, 2017 5:40 PM

R1 I agree!

by Anonymousreply 2April 18, 2017 6:00 PM

Not sure it's really being racist.

To drum up buzz, new clubs often claim they are full. Long lines at the entrance mean it's popular, and other people will automatically want to come out and experience it.

The one guy complaining got in when there were a few black people inside. He automatically assumed that it was because blacks were being blocked.

That said, I would also believe it if there were a black block in place. I recall Splash being called out on its Asian block long ago.

by Anonymousreply 3April 18, 2017 6:11 PM

Who owns Rebar? Peter Thiel? Ian Reisner?

Don't worry, it will be on the ropes soon enough. Then when no one of any color wants to go it will start hosting hip-hop nights.

by Anonymousreply 4April 18, 2017 6:15 PM

I'm shocked, shocked I say!, to learn that gay white men can be racist!

by Anonymousreply 5April 18, 2017 6:22 PM

San Francisco is named for an Italian saint but its bars don't seem to have that problem.

by Anonymousreply 6April 18, 2017 6:27 PM

This is the latest dog whistle attempt by the SJW's against gay men, and I'm fucking sick of it. Gay men have zero power to oppress black people. You want to talk about racism, look at Trump and his voters and straight white men, but don't try to lay the blame on one of the most oppressed and reviled minorities in history because you can't get into a bar. In other words, GO FUCK YOURSELVES.

by Anonymousreply 7April 18, 2017 6:29 PM

They lost me at "edugaytion"

by Anonymousreply 8April 18, 2017 6:30 PM

You sound triggered, R7.

Eat something sweet bubbe, you'll feel better.

by Anonymousreply 9April 18, 2017 6:33 PM

[quote]This is the latest dog whistle attempt by the SJW's against gay men, and I'm fucking sick of it. Gay men have zero power to oppress black people. You want to talk about racism, look at Trump and his voters and straight white men, but don't try to lay the blame on one of the most oppressed and reviled minorities in history because you can't get into a bar. In other words, GO FUCK YOURSELVES.

This times a zillion. Heterosexuals of color still have heterosexual privilege even if they faced racial discrimination. A gay person of color will also get treated worse than a heterosexual of color by racist homophobic whites who also hate their own kind for being gay.

by Anonymousreply 10April 18, 2017 6:35 PM

In a story that only cites the social media accounts of gay men, r7 still blames "SJWs"

R7 does indeed sound very triggered. I swear, right-wingers get "triggered" by shit more than anyone else.

by Anonymousreply 11April 18, 2017 6:35 PM

R11, you keep shoveling it so much you shouldn't be surprised by that.

by Anonymousreply 12April 18, 2017 6:36 PM

And it's surprising that there are gays who are bigots and racists? Please, as a whole we are some of the worst of the worst.

by Anonymousreply 13April 18, 2017 6:39 PM

R7 Yeah right!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 14April 18, 2017 6:39 PM

"San Francisco is named for an Italian saint but its bars don't seem to have that problem. "

What problem; Italian saints or racism?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 15April 18, 2017 6:40 PM

It won't matter what color your skin is, the Muslims will throw you off the roof regardless.

by Anonymousreply 16April 18, 2017 6:42 PM

Looots of triggered SJWs in this thread. No one in the real world takes you seriously, dears.

by Anonymousreply 17April 18, 2017 6:52 PM

R17 Roland Emmerich Stonewall financiers would highly disagree with you, lol!

by Anonymousreply 18April 18, 2017 7:06 PM

I need a Safe Space.

by Anonymousreply 19April 18, 2017 7:07 PM

I am totally shocked that such an incident happened in NYC, the pinnacle of acceptance and love. Gay men from around the world flock to NYC, because it is Nirvana. Now, to hear that there is racism amongst the "everyone is loved" city dwellers! Is there no balm in Gilead?

by Anonymousreply 20April 18, 2017 7:16 PM

This has gone on for decades in the gay bar business. Back in the mid-70's, I worked the doors at 3 gay bars in San Francisco. We used similar tactics to keep women and other folks out by denying them with open toed shoes, alligator shirts, requiring 3 pieces of photo ID as well as the old "too many inside at this time". Not saying it was right but a tried and true tactic to create the environment the owners wanted.

The irony is that I myself probably wouldn't be granted entrance to the same gay bars today; old, grey and wrinkly.

by Anonymousreply 21April 18, 2017 7:18 PM

Black patrons, like Lesbians, DON'T TIP!!!!

by Anonymousreply 22April 18, 2017 8:12 PM

The “black limit.” referred to in the article is actually known as "the tipping point". That's the percentage point at which a bar becomes a "black bar." Whites generally will not go to an all black bar, no matter how liberal they may claim to be. The tipping point is usually around 35% (but some bars say it can be as low as 20%, e.g. Los Angeles and some parts of Chelsea). That is, when the percentage of black patrons in the bar gets past 35%, whites will stop coming in and it will rapidly become an all black bar. Everyone bar owner knows about the tipping point.

by Anonymousreply 23April 18, 2017 8:29 PM

This is the old G Lounge space that just closed a few months ago. Something seems fishy about this story. I'm not buying it.

by Anonymousreply 24April 18, 2017 8:32 PM

R23 speaks sense, unlike the fools in this thread going on about "SJWs"

Bars are very reticent to have a crowd become [italic]too[/italic] ethnic, because people will look at it as an ethnic club and stay away.

by Anonymousreply 25April 18, 2017 8:35 PM

Oh I doubt this very much. My guess is that they are just modulating their crowd numbers and playing with the lines outside to make it look like a hot bar. Silly to think that a NYC bar would try to cater to whites only- that would last about 5 seconds.

by Anonymousreply 26April 18, 2017 8:37 PM

R25, this is true. They wait to welcome in the ethnic crowds (first the black crowd, followed by the latins) until the traffic starts to slow.

by Anonymousreply 27April 18, 2017 8:37 PM

R10 obviously owns a scoreboard.

Must be nice to have time enough to keep track of every perceived injustice in the world.

by Anonymousreply 28April 18, 2017 8:39 PM

This is already all over Tumblr. The SJWs are saying white gays are racist.

by Anonymousreply 29April 18, 2017 9:07 PM

Here is the Tumblr post.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 30April 18, 2017 9:12 PM

It's a club. If you think their clientele is "too white," don't go.

R23 is right. I've seen this be the kiss of death for a number of clubs. But I agree it could also have a lot to do with wanting a line to form outside.

And before people get too free throwing around the word "racism," try being a white person taken by friends to an all or predominantly black club. I've gone a couple of times with friends and it was not a welcoming experience. I understand why I might have been looked upon as an interloper but it's not a only a white phenomenon.

by Anonymousreply 31April 18, 2017 9:34 PM

No bar owner in a neighborhood like that wants their bar to be known as an "ethnic bar" because it will drive the whites away. They want white people as their main clientele, believe me. Whites spend more money and are better tippers, and there are less problems with anti-social behaviors. This is known in the hospitality industry.

Sorry, it's just the truth.

by Anonymousreply 32April 18, 2017 10:52 PM

R15: They've got a lot of nerve calling us q****s while projecting breeder racism onto us.

by Anonymousreply 33April 18, 2017 11:36 PM

R32: That's because wops control the industry and wops are the biggest racists around.

by Anonymousreply 34April 18, 2017 11:37 PM

[quote]It's a club. If you think their clientele is "too white," don't go.

...Huh? No one was complaining the clientele was too white. These people wanted to go into the club. They were not allowed.

by Anonymousreply 35April 18, 2017 11:38 PM

There were some black people in the bar when this guy was turned away.

And lo and behold, Chelsea bars are overwhelmingly white! Who knew? Have you noticed the demographics in the neighborhood?

by Anonymousreply 36April 18, 2017 11:48 PM

Is the parking free?

by Anonymousreply 37April 19, 2017 12:21 AM

Yes, Barbara, you want to go with me?

by Anonymousreply 38April 19, 2017 12:41 AM

[quote] This times a zillion. Heterosexuals of color still have heterosexual privilege even if they faced racial discrimination. A gay person of color will also get treated worse than a heterosexual of color by racist homophobic whites who also hate their own kind for being gay.

Tell that to formerly closeted white nationalist billionaire Peter Thiel who threw his coins in with Trump's racist homophobic support base. Now that the first black President used all of his political currency to advocate for institutional acceptance/equality and federal protection of homosexuals, white homosexuals have traded in their 'oppressed minority' status for white privilege.

by Anonymousreply 39April 19, 2017 2:55 AM

This is fucking insane.

While I am sure that some Chelsea gay bars are racist, it's a pretty common practice to create lines in front of clubs the first week or two they are open so that people will think they are very hard to get into and thus want to get in. Even though the club may be empty inside.

It was even the premise of an entire episode of "Queer As Folk" IIRC.

And since the guy in question said there were some blacks inside, it sounds more like they were trying to keep everyone waiting to create the illusion than to actually discriminate.

Fucking SJWs ruin everything.

by Anonymousreply 40April 19, 2017 3:02 AM

[quote] Silly to think that a NYC bar would try to cater to whites only- that would last about 5 seconds.

It happens in L.A. and I think most would consider L.A. more liberal than NYC. Almost every "gay" bar in Weho has at some point been cited for a discriminatory door policy. Whether it is racial animus or economics, or both, it is real. Then when owners realize that their desired majority-white demographic has moved on, they start catering to ethnic customers.

by Anonymousreply 41April 19, 2017 3:05 AM

If we're going to be totally honest, let's call out what's fueling the racism: a steady drumbeat of reports that the incidence of HIV in the black community is double or triple what it is in the white community.

If I had a dollar for every good white NY, SF or LA liberal white gay man who told me that he did not want to hook up with a black guy who was not "white acting" (the equivalent of "straight acting, lol) because of fear of AIDS or fear the guy would rob him, I'd be very rich.

by Anonymousreply 42April 19, 2017 3:10 AM

Remember those two asswipes who opened a gay hotel and yet threw a private fundraiser for Ted fucking Cruz? Yes, gay men can be bigoted assholes just like the rest of them.

by Anonymousreply 43April 19, 2017 3:12 AM

Gee, one black guy turned away from a bar and once again the media and breeders launch into thee typical stereotyping, even though there were back guys inside the bar. Such bullshit.

by Anonymousreply 44April 19, 2017 3:42 AM

Breeders love to project their racism onto gays because it makes them look more progressive than they really are and they can use it to justify homophobia.

by Anonymousreply 45April 19, 2017 4:08 AM

R44 Nope, it was three different people who shared similar stories. Two were NYC locals and third was a visitor from Atlanta. Your logic: Gays were not persecuted by Nazis since Nazis had many senior Gay members.

by Anonymousreply 46April 19, 2017 4:34 AM

[quote]Bars are very reticent to have a crowd become too ethnic, because people will look at it as an ethnic club and stay away.

Damn, r25. "Ethnic" people ARE people. You just said "if there are too many ethnics then people will stay away" as though "people" could only mean whites. Do you realize that?

And this is DL which has been so fucking shitty lately that I'm going to get yelled at, called names, and FFed into a ban for saying this, aren't I?

by Anonymousreply 47April 19, 2017 4:40 AM

Who are the Ethnics? Are they a Motown group?

by Anonymousreply 48April 19, 2017 4:49 AM

[quote] If I had a dollar for every good white NY, SF or LA liberal white gay man who told me that he did not want to hook up with a black guy who was not "white acting" (the equivalent of "straight acting, lol) because of fear of AIDS or fear the guy would rob him, I'd be very rich.

Rich???!!! Bitch, you don't know THAT many liberal white gay men. You'd have like $17 at most.

by Anonymousreply 49April 19, 2017 4:54 AM

R46 Oh dear. There's the predictable Nazi comparison. You SJW's are SO predictable.

So a couple of people were turned away and decided it must be racism. Sure, that proves it, if they felt that way. No actual proof needed.

You're a kneejerk idiot.

by Anonymousreply 50April 19, 2017 4:59 AM

The very white Danny Pintauro did more to contribute to the spread of HIV than any person of color.

by Anonymousreply 51April 19, 2017 5:01 AM

Chelsea is a very black neighborhood. Haven't you walked down 8th Avenue lately, R36? The clientele at the adult video stores is overwhelmingly colored, too.

by Anonymousreply 52April 19, 2017 5:03 AM

r52 those aren't the people going to the bars in Chelsea.

by Anonymousreply 53April 19, 2017 5:05 AM

[quote]The clientele at the adult video stores is overwhelmingly colored, too.

Colored? Were they colored in with a pencil, a marker, or a crayon?

by Anonymousreply 54April 19, 2017 5:06 AM

LOL "colored"

Is everyone on this thread 60+?

by Anonymousreply 55April 19, 2017 5:13 AM

No, R54, he meant that they are Negros.

by Anonymousreply 56April 19, 2017 5:33 AM

Is the problem really racism, or is it something more intrinsic to the whole capitalistic game? So much about modern business is so manipulative, so bait-and-switch, and so desperate to aggrandize itself at the expense of anybody, with little regard to race. Everybody gets screwed over by this system soon enough. I wish the race-nellies would figure this out. Their grandparents knew it.

When did social justice become a bunch of people screaming "racist! racist!" There's much more to it. This new obsession with race-bating is going to guarantee another generation or two of social stagnation.

by Anonymousreply 57April 19, 2017 5:59 AM

No, I meant non-white. You know how "people of color" refers to all non-whites? That's how I meant it.

I'm in my late 30s, and I vote Democrat, but I am not one of those people who sees an appreciable difference between 'colored people' and 'people of color'. (Apparently the NAACP doesn't see a difference ,either.) It's a joke to act like the former is breathtakingly offensive, but actually perfectly okay if you invert the words and add the word 'of'.

by Anonymousreply 58April 19, 2017 6:02 AM

I see nothing wrong with that, R58. I refer to those people as "the coloreds" myself.

by Anonymousreply 59April 19, 2017 9:53 AM

[quote]Looots of triggered SJWs in this thread. No one in the real world takes you seriously, dears.

Awww, isn’t it cute when old people use words like “Triggered”? Oh, right.... it’s not.

by Anonymousreply 60April 19, 2017 11:21 AM

[quote] You want to talk about racism, look at Trump and his voters and straight white men, but don't try to lay the blame on one of the most oppressed and reviled minorities in history because you can't get into a bar.

This isn’t about the Jews, man.

by Anonymousreply 61April 19, 2017 11:27 AM

If this were any other site, I'd think that R49 was joking.

But given DL's high rate of Aspie-ness, there's 50/50 he's being serious

by Anonymousreply 62April 19, 2017 11:30 AM

It's quite common.

When I was at uni I worked as a door bitch to keep the ratio of Asians low.

by Anonymousreply 63April 19, 2017 11:31 AM

[quote]Damn, [R25]. "Ethnic" people ARE people. You just said "if there are too many ethnics then people will stay away" as though "people" could only mean whites. Do you realize that?

I'm not R25, but he's simply stating a fact. If you've ever worked in a club or bar, you'll know that this is pretty much universal.

Shitty? Absolutely but it is what it is.

by Anonymousreply 64April 19, 2017 11:34 AM

I think blacks being poor tippers is a myth. "Livin large" is a known part of black club culture, where the males will peel back bills to impress and pay top dollar for expensive liquor and bottle service, VIP sections, etc.

by Anonymousreply 65April 19, 2017 11:49 AM

Yeah r7, eat something. Like ground glass!

by Anonymousreply 66April 19, 2017 12:49 PM

Ain't nobody got time for dat.

by Anonymousreply 67April 19, 2017 1:50 PM

You're vastly outnumbered R66. BLOCKED.

by Anonymousreply 68April 19, 2017 2:05 PM

Another trade secret of the hospitality industry: if your bar is getting too many "certain" types of people, start playing country music or alternarock over the speakers. This music is like Kryptonite, and they will leave.

I'm just stating a fact, this has been known in the industry forever.

by Anonymousreply 69April 19, 2017 2:32 PM

This is why I stopped patronizing gay bars. Why should I give them my money when they diss me because of my skin color? Especially in Philadelphia-the now deceased owner of Uncles was notorious for this!

by Anonymousreply 70April 19, 2017 3:01 PM

Wow, I'm loving hearing all the inside knowledge from people who work in the service industry—the tricks that have been used to maintain a certain demographic in their establishment. Really interesting.

by Anonymousreply 71April 19, 2017 4:29 PM

I have a South Asian friend who used to say gay bars didn't let him in. We have no idea of this sort of thing going on if we are not discriminated against.

by Anonymousreply 72April 19, 2017 4:36 PM

Why did G close in the first place? I had heard that they renewed a long lease relatively recently.

by Anonymousreply 73April 19, 2017 4:49 PM

G became a black bar, didn't it. So this bar is trying to prevent that from happening

by Anonymousreply 74April 19, 2017 5:02 PM

Next time you're in a bar, look at the jukebox. Of course there are plenty of black artists to choose from, but they're mostly classics like Marvin Gaye or Stevie Wonder etc. You'll notice there is no rap or hip-hop. Of course there are exceptions, but most jukeboxes in bars exclude rap and hip-hop for a reason.

by Anonymousreply 75April 19, 2017 5:20 PM

The bar does not serve Courvoisier or Hennessy.

If the bar sells cigarettes, only "white" brands are available, such as Marlboro or Parliament (white people LOVE Parliament). There is no Newport or any other kind of menthol.

by Anonymousreply 76April 19, 2017 5:34 PM

To keep blacks out, why don't the doormen tell them "The owner is from The South."

by Anonymousreply 77April 19, 2017 6:03 PM

"wops control the industry and wops are the biggest racists around. "

R34, you're a racist cuntstabbing shitlicker, ya know that?

by Anonymousreply 78April 19, 2017 6:27 PM

R10 they would probably gwt it the worst frim homophobic blacks. I know a lot of black gay men and they all told me horror stories about the homophobia and hatred in the black community.

by Anonymousreply 79April 19, 2017 6:39 PM

I don't think it's a black thing- it's a probably a black gangster thing.

Why would a bar owner would want his bar to become a black thug bar? Look what happened to G lounge! It became over run with thugs and it is now out of business. Same with south beach. Over the last 5 years, south beach has become a hang out for black gangsters and is now not safe to walk around at night.

The blacks who were let in were probably normal black guys who would not start trouble. It's pretty easy to tell who is bad news and i wouldn't want them in my bar either. Same goes for white thugs.

by Anonymousreply 80April 19, 2017 6:56 PM

Interview w/ owner:

There has been some media speculation surrounding the opening weekend, which unfortunately, seemed to spread like wildfire on social media. The accusation is that the business is telling POC patrons who are waiting in line that capacity has been reached when, in fact, the bar was nowhere near its full occupancy limit. Once and for all, can you please address this issue and speak directly to your customers?

It was our opening weekend and we had been in operation for under 48 hours. As with any new business, there are a lot of moving pieces to be assembled, and reassembled, as we refine things. Simply speaking, because we made a decision to let the bar empty out to work out some of the operational issues, we gave instructions to the door to allow entry only to guests on our VIP list. This in turn created a line at the front door of people who were mistakenly told we were at capacity when we were not.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 81April 19, 2017 7:02 PM

[quote]Awww, isn’t it cute when old people use words like “Triggered”? Oh, right.... it’s not.

Awww, isn’t it cute when black people try to get into white bars? Totes adorbs!

by Anonymousreply 82April 19, 2017 7:17 PM

How does a black thug look? Can't someone be thuggish and wear LL Bean? If someone says baggy pants and bling I'd say wake up from 1998.

by Anonymousreply 83April 19, 2017 7:28 PM

A gay bar can you imagine?

by Anonymousreply 84April 19, 2017 7:36 PM

[quote]"wops control the industry and wops are the biggest racists around. "

What fucking decade are you living in? Trendy NYC bars are owned by trust fund trash and celebs these days.

by Anonymousreply 85April 19, 2017 7:53 PM

It's not the bagginess. It's the state of cleanliness, the brand of clothes, the accessories worn with it. It's the body language, word choice, eye contact, speed of movements. It's the people with him. It's very obvious who is going to be a problem.

by Anonymousreply 86April 19, 2017 8:01 PM

[quote] we had been in operation for under 48 hours ... we gave instructions to the door to allow entry only to guests on our VIP list. This in turn created a line at the front door of people who were mistakenly told we were at capacity when we were not.

TRANSLATION: As many DLers noted, new bars and clubs often let lines form outside to create the perception that they are popular and hard to get into. We thought that was a good idea and so told the door not to let anyone in except friends and family.

by Anonymousreply 87April 19, 2017 8:13 PM

r87 in fairness, that doesn't speak to the posters upthread who claim it goes on re: the industry generally.

And in fairness, gangster does not equal black. Do you want BMF over-running your club? No, but you don't want Paul Massey taking it over either. Culturally speaking, the latter did way more damage than the former.

[Yes, I know those are old references; I'm an e-gay-sue me. Who would be the equivalent in the last 5 years?]

by Anonymousreply 88April 19, 2017 8:30 PM

Typical blacks and latinos. Looking for a seat at the white owner's table instead of building and patronizing gay black/latino owned-and-operated venues.

Bars and clubs with staff and patrons of color are more fun, have better music, hotter strippers, and better energy. (Don't share that opinion? Don't worry, there's a broad spectrum of other nightlife options.)

Again, why exactly is there a fight over the carcass of G Lounge?

by Anonymousreply 89April 19, 2017 8:35 PM

Not sure I follow you R88-- the two are unrelated.

Yes, the industry probably does discriminate against POCs, but in this instance it seems what the bar was doing was creating the impression that they were the new hot spot by not letting anyone into the club, black, white, purple or blue.

by Anonymousreply 90April 19, 2017 8:53 PM

...Really r89? Your answer is SEGREGATION? REALLY?!

by Anonymousreply 91April 19, 2017 8:55 PM

i would not let anyone into my bar wearing a doo rag or pantyhose wrapped around their head either........and that goes for baseball caps, football helmets and fedoras.....no more hats everrrrrrrrrrrrrrr!!!!!!!!!!

by Anonymousreply 92April 19, 2017 9:04 PM

POC suffer from racism every day so will naturally jump at it as a racial problem. Having less experience with racism directed at them, I suspect Colorless people are more tone-deaf and likely to accept the Colorless club's explanation.

by Anonymousreply 93April 19, 2017 9:10 PM

Why is it segregation, R91?

When it comes to gay versus straights, we talk about the power of "pink" dollars and supporting gay-owned and operated bars, cafes, bed & breakfasts. Gay men of color in NYC should use this opportunity to start their own ventures.

Please state your arguments against minority entrepreneurship. You prefer blacks and latinos continuing to fund (alleged) bigots?

by Anonymousreply 94April 19, 2017 9:12 PM

Gay men should be able to freely congregate together regardless of race, I'm sorry that seems like a crazy concept to you, that's literally all I have to say on this silly matter. Carry on.

by Anonymousreply 95April 19, 2017 9:17 PM

[quote] Gay men should be able to freely congregate together regardless of race

You obviously didn't read the article or the witness accounts. The crowd inside Rebar *was* racially mixed.

Some blacks and latinos who were made to wait outside feel that the percentage should have been higher. They obviously have never been to any straight clubs in Chelsea or the Meatpacking district. Sexism, ageism, fat-shaming, reign supreme.

Maybe it is a crazy concept, but I always vote with my wallet. And no one can keep you out of a home you own.

by Anonymousreply 96April 19, 2017 9:27 PM

What do white people know about being turned away?

by Anonymousreply 97April 19, 2017 9:29 PM

You evidently were never at Studio 54 back in the day......there were many tears and fights with mascara running down women's faces.

by Anonymousreply 98April 19, 2017 9:45 PM

GAY white people. R97? Plenty.

by Anonymousreply 99April 19, 2017 9:51 PM

Good, I'll be going there then. Fewer crotch grabbing ghetto closet cases and faux alpha thugs is a good thing .

by Anonymousreply 100April 19, 2017 9:57 PM

Like R100 has been to a club since 1950's.

by Anonymousreply 101April 19, 2017 10:05 PM

R97 yoi can't be serious

As an obvious white gay male try going to R&B black clubs and bars and see how that goes over

by Anonymousreply 102April 20, 2017 12:03 AM

You would freely welcomed r102. You would know that if you weren't just a dumb shit stirring troll.

by Anonymousreply 103April 20, 2017 2:12 AM

R103 the same, NOT being a shit stirrer, would be applied to any minority group in predominantly white bar with PAYING customers

In this economy, who the hell would purposely turn away PAYING CUSTOMERS based on their skin color?

Once again, "liberal logic" makes no sense

by Anonymousreply 104April 20, 2017 3:02 AM

You have had several different posters in this thread agree that bars limit the amount of minority customers because too many minority customers scares away white clientele r103. But okay, clearly that is something that never happens.

by Anonymousreply 105April 20, 2017 3:05 AM

Obviously was referring to R104*

by Anonymousreply 106April 20, 2017 3:06 AM

Where are all the responses?

by Anonymousreply 107April 20, 2017 3:10 AM

? Wonky

by Anonymousreply 108April 20, 2017 3:27 AM

No r78, he isn't. Italian Americans ar fre just like he says they are. Can't stand most of them myself!

by Anonymousreply 109April 20, 2017 3:33 AM

r90 my point was that it's obviously an issue industry wide, so even if this wasn't a case of it, although I give it 50:50, that doesn't mean it's not a problem for PoCs who want to go clubbing.

To the people who are saying that blacks (AAs, really) aren't let in because they don't want gang trouble, that can easily happen with any ethnicity including whites, because organized crime is all over that industry, and it has every ethnic group represented.

by Anonymousreply 110April 20, 2017 3:42 AM

What about us?

by Anonymousreply 111April 20, 2017 4:19 AM

[quote]To the people who are saying that blacks (AAs, really) aren't let in because they don't want gang trouble, that can easily happen with any ethnicity including whites,

Yeah, those white guys in their Gap jeans and skin-tight T-shirts are always trouble lol!

by Anonymousreply 112April 20, 2017 4:26 AM

My thoughts exactly, R112. Just didn't know how to phrase it inoffensively.

by Anonymousreply 113April 20, 2017 4:41 AM

r113 neither did r112.

by Anonymousreply 114April 20, 2017 4:48 AM

I heard it was basically no baseball caps and my whole Facebook coven of shrieking SJWs went apeshit!

The same crowd of gays pends eight months a year on social media wailing about the trans, and the lack of diversity and calling EVERYONE a racist, then spends the next four months posting pictures from The Pines....one of the whitest places on earth! Hilarious dopes.

by Anonymousreply 115April 20, 2017 6:32 AM

Maybe they can have a "blacks only" party once a week.

by Anonymousreply 116April 20, 2017 12:53 PM

It was anti-armenian racism when I didn't get into Nell's.

by Anonymousreply 117April 21, 2017 2:50 AM

R115,

Have you even been to the Pines? It's not all white. I saw a black guy waiting for ferry once last year.

I can't tell if you're angry at the crowd for being lunatic SJWs or for going to the Pines.

by Anonymousreply 118April 21, 2017 3:22 AM

Please tell me you're being sarcastic, r118. One black guy?

by Anonymousreply 119April 21, 2017 3:35 AM

I'll let you know.

by Anonymousreply 120April 21, 2017 3:37 AM

[quote] Please state your arguments against minority entrepreneurship. You prefer blacks and latinos continuing to fund (alleged) bigots?

I'm not r91 but it's unlikely s/he's opposed to minority entrepreneurship. Economic empowerment is not an answer to racial discrimination. Discrimination must be fought while empowerment is pursued, simultaneously.

by Anonymousreply 121April 21, 2017 4:00 AM

Why is there discussion of gang violence relating to a gay bar. Do gay black 'gangs' terrorize gay bars? That is a preposterous pretext for discriminating against black gay clientele.

by Anonymousreply 122April 21, 2017 4:04 AM

I spied a black family in Zermatt this winter.

by Anonymousreply 123April 21, 2017 4:06 AM

^How did you deal?

by Anonymousreply 124April 21, 2017 4:13 AM

[post redacted because linking to dailymail.co.uk clearly indicates that the poster is either a troll or an idiot (probably both, honestly.) Our advice is that you just ignore this poster but whatever you do, don't click on any link to this putrid rag.]

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 125April 21, 2017 4:23 AM

I see 3 posts at the link complaining about racism, the last one from a white guy. There's no proof. It could be the dress policy, it could be they're only letting in guys they think are 'hot'. Who knows. Or it could be that people are attacking a 'gay' bar because we're not supposed to have things for gay men and lesbians anymore, just sexually and gender fluid bi-species Trans-racial folks. Let's face it, gays are under attack by the SJW's.

by Anonymousreply 126April 22, 2017 3:53 AM

[quote]Or it could be that people are attacking a 'gay' bar because we're not supposed to have things for gay men and lesbians anymore, just sexually and gender fluid bi-species Trans-racial folks. Let's face it, gays are under attack by the SJW's.

Well, you had me until your last point. I mean….that's too paranoid even for me. And I still have an X-files poster on my wall.

by Anonymousreply 127April 22, 2017 10:16 AM

If they are hot, regardless of race, they are welcomed!

Not hot, regardless of race, sorry!

by Anonymousreply 128April 22, 2017 10:19 AM

[quote]white homosexuals have traded in their 'oppressed minority' status for white privilege.

Chechnya has begun a white gay genocide. Where in the world are blacks being targeted in a genocide?

by Anonymousreply 129April 22, 2017 11:17 AM

Where do the upper middle class white gay boys meet each other these days, apart from online? What are the bars for them?

by Anonymousreply 130April 22, 2017 11:21 AM

The only place I meet guys anymore is at the gym. You know they're hot, take care of themselves, social. I never meet guys online anymore and have met way to many weirdos at bars.

by Anonymousreply 131April 24, 2017 5:57 PM

They're not having a great time of it in certain countries in Africa, you know, your gay brothers over there. Or do they not count, r129?

by Anonymousreply 132April 24, 2017 6:58 PM

There are none R130

Just Grindr, the occasional party.

I have a theory that a lot of GOCs (Gays of Color) go to bars because they know they'll just get shut down on the apps. That in turn makes the white boys less likely to go to bars and hang on apps, which makes the GOCs... you know, the circle thing.

by Anonymousreply 133April 24, 2017 7:15 PM

Nice strawman, r132.

by Anonymousreply 134April 24, 2017 11:04 PM

Also, as others have pointed out upthread, this whole thing is complete bullshit.

Like every other brand new club, gay or straight or mixed, they were trying to make it seem like the place was happening by not letting anyone in except friends and family and figuring the crowd outside would get people interested.

by Anonymousreply 135April 24, 2017 11:13 PM

I'm pretty sure r130 was being sarcastic...

At least that was my read of it.

by Anonymousreply 136April 24, 2017 11:26 PM

So what type of crowd is at REBAR nowadays- well, right before Covid.

by Anonymousreply 137March 20, 2021 12:35 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!