Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Yet Another Reason Hillary Clinton Lost The Election

Blame it on "The West Wing."

That's what this piece in Current Affairs argues.

I thought of DL given the twin obsessions with Mrs. Clinton and old TV shows.

Have at it. I never watched West Wing, so curious to see what you think of the argument that sums up like this:

[quote] [Democrat] smugly taxonomized as “smart” and “dumb” the very electorate they needed to win over, and retreated into an ideological fever dream in which political success doesn’t come from organizing and building power, but from having the most polished arguments and the most detailed policy statements. If you can just crush Trump in the debates, as Bartlet did to Richie, then you’ve won. (That’s not an exaggeration of the worldview. Ezra Klein published an article entitled “Hillary Clinton’s 3 debate performances left the Trump campaign in ruins,” which entirely eliminated the distinction between what happens in debates and what happens in campaigns. The belief that politics is about argument rather than power is likely a symptom of a Democratic politics increasingly incubated in the Ivy League rather than the labor movement.)

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 37April 24, 2018 2:04 PM

Nonsense. They didn't cover her speeches by Trump's got free publicity all the time. The public didn't even really know what she was saying, so they certainly couldn't have been offended by it.

by Anonymousreply 1April 16, 2017 9:19 PM

[quote]“Hillary Clinton’s 3 debate performances left the Trump campaign in ruins,”

Only in the media's wet dreams. Hillary looked liked she memorized a bunch of answers and couldn't function outside of those memorized answers. She also spoke in general terms, while Trump spoke in specifics.

by Anonymousreply 2April 16, 2017 9:20 PM

He didn't speak in specifics. He lied about the condition of the country and offered no plans other than his alleged negotiating skill. Why she didn't attack the very idea of his "cutting deals" with sovereign nations like they were bargaining over the price of a Turkish rug; but rather stuck to her talking points was a little weird though.

by Anonymousreply 3April 16, 2017 9:33 PM

[quote]He didn't speak in specifics.

Yes, he did. You just weren't listening.

One of the things he specified was that he had a list of 25 Supreme Court Justice possibilities which were listed on his website. (and yes, they were there, I checked). Did Hillary name any possible names or was she just going to coast with Merrick Garland?

by Anonymousreply 4April 16, 2017 9:39 PM

That list was what shored up the evangelical vote to turnout

by Anonymousreply 5April 16, 2017 9:40 PM

Nobody looked at that list. Nobody.

by Anonymousreply 6April 16, 2017 9:49 PM

Trump also said things like he was going to renegotiate Nafta and the Asia-Pacific deal. Hillary just looked dumb and said, "I'm for equal pay for women" with no structure of how she was going to handle that.

Trump said he was going to give coal miners back their jobs. Hillary spouted nonsense that she memorized from Al Gore.

by Anonymousreply 7April 16, 2017 9:55 PM

[quote]I thought of DL given the twin obsessions with Mrs. Clinton and old TV shows.

Which is why you created a catnip thread for Clinton bashers?

by Anonymousreply 8April 16, 2017 10:00 PM

Is this your thread OP, too?

You know where this is leading to, right?

Clinton hate.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 9April 16, 2017 10:01 PM

GET THE FUCK OVER IT!!! Hillary losing doesn't make Trump a remotely capable president. Jeez.

by Anonymousreply 10April 16, 2017 10:02 PM

Fuck off, OP. Clinton "lost" due to Russian hacking. Stop normalizing that.

Now we have a madman who is bringing doomsday on us with nuclear war and you are chirping about your pet misogyny target, H. Clinton.

My contempt for you, OP, is almost as great as the fear for this world.

by Anonymousreply 11April 16, 2017 10:05 PM

[quote]Fat ugly evil satanist old sow. Is Hillary still on the payroll of the Rockefeller global banking criminals (JPMorgamChase, etc)?

[quote]What a character flaw she must have to not be able to just go the fuck away and spare us her histrionics. She lost because she's a fucking shit eating cunt burger.

[quote]almost everything. right...unfortunately the things she did wrong were all the things that cost her the election. I love the posters who scream she gets things done. SHE'S NEVER GOTTEN ANYTHING DONE. Oh except when she got the child rapist out of jail. She was pretty good at that.

[quote]Over analyze it all you want but I still believe she lost because of her health. She couldn't do what Trump was doing. He was holding five huge rallies a day in five different states. He was full of piss and vinegar. Hillary looking like she just rolled out of bed, would come out, kiss Cher, and pick up a check. She looked like the old nag on her way to the glue factory. Once the video of her "over heating" came out on 9-11 it was over.

[quote]It's only ageist, sexist, fatist, cuntist, leave the kids out of it when it's Hillary Clinton.

[quote]The faces of the reporters watching her seizure is the best. They look like they think they're going to need to call 9-11 but at least they'll get the story of Hillary stroking out..

[quote]One more before I go then I really got to get busy. The balloon seizure was pretty good too.

[quote]Didn't Hillary kill the staffer who leaked the emails?

[quote]The fact is your cunt queen lost.

[quote]When she wouldn't come out and face her supporters on election night, everything nasty said about Hillary, was proven true.

[quote]Hillary needs to own her inner cunt and she'd be better off. Or would have been. Saying things like "dead broke" when the whole country knows you have millions. Or trying to pretend you get all cuddly with your grand kids who you can probably barely name. Say what you will about Sarah Palin but she owns who she is. Her high heels, makeup, and big hair. That's why it's easy for the people on the right to like Sarah Palin. Sarah gives zero fucks about what you think of her. Hillary reintroduces herself every three days or so.

[quote]The hysterical thing is that she took the SOS job to pad her resume for the next run. Her behavior while SOS is what cost her the election. God hates cankles.

[quote]I'm sure Bill hates her too.

[quote]I think people did vote against her for health reasons. Some just for the health reasons and some because it was just another thing they felt she wouldn't come clean about. Like 9-11. It was just heat exhaustion. In 72 degree breezy weather. People knew that wasn't the case. If that guy didn't come out with his video they would stuck with that. I'm surprised he's not dead. He was smart to release it quickly.

[quote][bold]I'm always on the hate Hillary threads. The truth is I don't really hate her. I'm more ambivalent.[/bold] What I hate is that she just couldn't go away when her time was up. I also hate her hardcore supporters. Which is why I spew on Hillary. It is just so funny watching them burst into flames. Plus the 50 points meme never gets tired.

Imagine writing this - the same poster beginning to end - about someone and claiming you don't hate them?

But that is your prime customer here, OP.

by Anonymousreply 12April 16, 2017 10:10 PM

Seriously, R12? That makes the OP a really toxic, misogynist individual. No surprise then, I guess.

by Anonymousreply 13April 16, 2017 10:21 PM

OP didn't write what I quoted in R12. But that's basically the kind of poster that will be all over this thread.

Yes, only a disturbed person would write those things.

by Anonymousreply 14April 16, 2017 10:35 PM

You forgot to reference the Canks and the pantsuits in your composite

by Anonymousreply 15April 16, 2017 10:37 PM

Hillary is still concerned that the FBI will reveal her DNA was discovered in Janet Reno's jockstrap.

by Anonymousreply 16April 16, 2017 10:55 PM

Hillary lost because people hate others. It is the bottom line. It's why it was so easy to fooled people into believing what Cheeto prince and the bots were saying. 62 million people hate minorities and women in positions of power. Then if you add all those others that couldn't be arsed to vote or voted for a third candidate because the plea of others was not worth their effort, you probably have close to 70-80 million that hate or don't care about minorities or women.

[quote][bold]Trump said he was going to give coal miners back their jobs.[/bold] Hillary spouted nonsense that she memorized from Al Gore.

R7 trying to prop his candidate while trying to ignore that Hillary is the only candidate that proposed a detailed plan when asked.

by Anonymousreply 17April 16, 2017 10:57 PM

Wow. I was hoping for some insight into West Wing, and the author's theory on its effect on the liberal establishment, but given DL, I should have known better.

Some corrections:

That is not me, R9, you only need to hit "ignore" to figure that out. Besides which, that post seems to be very pro-Clinton.

R13: that's R12 quoting someone who hates Mrs. Clinton on the Pro-Clinton thread cited by R9. It is not me.

I will say that the over-the-top love for Mrs. Clinton and the over-the-top hatred of her do balance each other out on DL, so it's funny to see each side accusing the other of dominating the discussion.

As you were.

by Anonymousreply 18April 16, 2017 11:07 PM

Another reason Hillary lost the West Wing primary is Huma was her shadow instead of Ainsley Hayes

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 19April 16, 2017 11:13 PM

The funny part is the number of people who actually want to be coal mners is probably fewer than 10,000

by Anonymousreply 20April 16, 2017 11:56 PM

[quote]Hillary looked liked she memorized a bunch of answers and couldn't function outside of those memorized answers.

Shades of Marco?

by Anonymousreply 21April 19, 2017 8:17 AM

Maybe the problem is she really is a bitch after all and the only reason you don't mind is that you're all a bunch of miserable, smug, condescending, misanthropic bitches, too.

by Anonymousreply 22April 19, 2017 8:24 AM

OP has a point.

by Anonymousreply 23April 26, 2017 1:11 PM

[quote] Hillary lost because people hate others.

So true.

by Anonymousreply 24April 28, 2017 11:46 AM

Hillary lost only to return in 2020.

by Anonymousreply 25April 29, 2017 5:58 AM

Heaven forbid, R25!

by Anonymousreply 26April 29, 2017 6:11 AM

Great, infiltration by Russian bots again. Fuck off.

by Anonymousreply 27April 29, 2017 6:58 AM

I am a happy comrade, I obeyed Vladimir Putin's orders to vote for Trump. I'd do it again. Comes the Revolution, R27 will be transported to Siberia. Hail Mother Russia!

by Anonymousreply 28April 29, 2017 7:03 AM

I wonder what tricks Putin has up his sleeves to still sway French voters. He didn't interfere with the gay concentration camps in Chechnya, I wouldn't put it past him to hire terrorists and provide them with the necessary logistics to plan an attack in France before the elections.

by Anonymousreply 29April 29, 2017 7:18 AM

I voted for HRC, as I have so voted for every Democrat since 1972.

But I couldn't help but wish her voice, or at least her intonations, was easier on the ears.

by Anonymousreply 30April 29, 2017 7:47 AM

I voted for HRC

Many did.

by Anonymousreply 31April 29, 2017 8:18 AM

^ Sucker!

by Anonymousreply 32April 29, 2017 3:39 PM

Things will be different when she runs in 2020.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 33April 29, 2017 4:41 PM

So many reasons....

by Anonymousreply 34April 23, 2018 5:37 PM

Anyone who still thinks the Russians hacked the DNC is a fucking idiot. Grow up.

by Anonymousreply 35April 23, 2018 5:45 PM

^^ Take your blinders off. Anyone that thinks Russia colluded with the Trump campaign is a fucking idiot. Grow up. The Dims are deflecting what they did onto Trump.

by Anonymousreply 36April 23, 2018 6:19 PM

She could actually win in 2020.

by Anonymousreply 37April 24, 2018 2:04 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!