Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Cate Blanchett is grabbing Thor's hammer in the Ragnarok trailer!

See Zach Snyder? This movie looks fun and colorful.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 349March 29, 2018 8:25 PM

Needs more slow-mo.

by Anonymousreply 1April 10, 2017 2:28 PM

I would gladly grab Thor's hammer.

by Anonymousreply 2April 10, 2017 2:30 PM

I had fun once. It was awful.

by Anonymousreply 3April 10, 2017 2:31 PM

Uh oh, hair cut.

by Anonymousreply 4April 10, 2017 2:48 PM

How many more of this BS is going to be made?

by Anonymousreply 5April 10, 2017 3:15 PM

They're never going to stop making them, and they're going to force you, Clockwork Orange style, to watch all of them, R5.

by Anonymousreply 6April 10, 2017 3:17 PM

Until the end of time R5

by Anonymousreply 7April 10, 2017 3:17 PM

"I know him! He's a friend from work!"

If this is half as good a "The Hunt for the Wilderpeople" then it will be amazing.

by Anonymousreply 8April 10, 2017 3:19 PM

r7 and then a billion years longer

by Anonymousreply 9April 10, 2017 3:19 PM

I think the apocalypse will be sooner rather than later R9

by Anonymousreply 10April 10, 2017 3:21 PM

The heat death of the universe will occur in approximately 10^10^10^56 years.

by Anonymousreply 11April 10, 2017 3:23 PM

Or it might be robots R11

by Anonymousreply 12April 10, 2017 3:27 PM

I love that they're using the actual song that Hans Zimmer clearly ripped off to make his Wonder Woman theme. It's a perfect little "fuck you" to WB/DC.

by Anonymousreply 13April 10, 2017 3:28 PM

Hemsworth is often at his best when they have him playing a lovable doof (one of the reasons he was a bright spot in Ghostbusters), and I think it's good that they've leaned into that this time.

by Anonymousreply 14April 10, 2017 3:41 PM

What on earth is Cate Blanchett, an Oscar winning actress, doing in a comic-book movie? It's like going from day unto night. Serious to silly.

by Anonymousreply 15April 10, 2017 3:49 PM

Money R15

by Anonymousreply 16April 10, 2017 3:51 PM

[quote]What on earth is Cate Blanchett, an Oscar winning actress, doing in a comic-book movie?

Benecio Del Tor, an Oscar winning actor, did two comic book movies.

Oscar winner Christian Bale did three.

Heath Ledger WON an Oscar for one.

Oscar winner Brie Larson has one upcoming.

by Anonymousreply 17April 10, 2017 3:55 PM

Uh, Anthony Hopkins as Odin, r15?

by Anonymousreply 18April 10, 2017 3:55 PM

Thank you r17 and r18, you saved me typing it myself.

by Anonymousreply 19April 10, 2017 3:57 PM

Hemsworth is hot with short hair. He was exceptionally handsome playing Kirk's father in the Star Trek reboot when they styled him ultra clean cut. He'd look fantastic styled like Mad Men.

But - Thor has long hair. That's the character - Norse god, long hair.

Seems more like a desperation move to make him "hotter" than anything else (or he got sick of the hair and stipulated in his contract that he wanted to cut it).

by Anonymousreply 20April 10, 2017 4:07 PM

I always thought Zach Snyder was so sexy and cute. I did some further investigating and he is married to 2nd wife and has about 18 kids between them. He looks so worked out and ready to rumble and he is usually solo or with cast members in pics.

by Anonymousreply 21April 10, 2017 5:41 PM

Because Woody Allen pays scale, R15.

And because she's the breadwinner in the family and likes buying properties all over the world.

by Anonymousreply 22April 10, 2017 5:45 PM

Zack Snyder was sexy as hell about a decade ago, now he looks like gaunt and shriveled.

by Anonymousreply 23April 10, 2017 5:47 PM

Movie needs more tattoos.

by Anonymousreply 24April 10, 2017 5:51 PM

Constantly feeding our teenagers this kind if shit! It really is gross and disgusting. I just mean I am so sick of these ridiculous images. It really is the same stupid thing over and over...can't they tell human stories any more?

by Anonymousreply 25April 10, 2017 6:00 PM

It looks loud.

by Anonymousreply 26April 10, 2017 6:09 PM

It has a very 80s vibe.

by Anonymousreply 27April 10, 2017 6:41 PM

R15 must have been asleep during Marlon Brando's scenes in Superman.

R17 Add Tilda Swinton to that list. It's prudent for actors, despite their prestige, to get into super hero movies. It's a steady paycheck and, depending on the actor, they manage to elevate the medium. The whole high art/low art divide is blurring. The entire cast of Oscar-baity American Hustle have played or are currently playing super heroes. From left to right: Rocket Raccoon, Lois Lane, Batman, Mystique, and Hawkeye.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 28April 10, 2017 6:49 PM

All of those actors were either Oscar nominees or winners at the time as well.

by Anonymousreply 29April 10, 2017 6:50 PM

R21 I'm with you. I can't stand Zack Snyder's films, but I'd bed down with him in a second. You can find pictures of him working out and they're all hot. Have yet to see one of him shirtless, but there is this picture of him showing off his back tattoo.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 30April 10, 2017 6:52 PM

[quote] Add Tilda Swinton to that list.

While Tilda Swinton was the only winner, the main Doctor Strange cast (Benedict Cumberbatch, Rachel McAdams, Tilda Swinton, Chiwetel Ejiofor) were all Academy Award-nominees.

by Anonymousreply 31April 10, 2017 6:54 PM

In the current run of comics, since he lost the ability to wield Mjolnir, he's had short hair. I'm assuming they're going to bring in some of that story (seen in The Unworthy Thor) as well as the Planet Hulk story.

by Anonymousreply 32April 10, 2017 6:56 PM

R31

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 33April 10, 2017 6:56 PM

The poster.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 34April 10, 2017 7:30 PM

The reason he has short hair is because he was coming off another role. They were starting production on Thor and they didn't have time for him to grow out his hair which would take over a year. And a wig would look silly.

by Anonymousreply 35April 10, 2017 8:14 PM

Oh fuck off, R25. Seriously.

by Anonymousreply 36April 10, 2017 8:33 PM

God...so much hotter with that hair.

And so funny all the people bashing her for this. I love the variety with which she attacks her career. Mainstream hits (including huge ones like "The Lord of the Rings")...artsy films...mature dramatic "Oscar" movies...while still finding time to work in the Theatre.

by Anonymousreply 37April 10, 2017 9:05 PM

She's also going to be in the new Ocean's 8 with Helena Bonham Carter and Sandra Bullock.

by Anonymousreply 38April 10, 2017 9:06 PM

I'm surprised there wasn't a glance at shirtless Thor in the trailer, the last two Thor trailers had a glance at Hemsworth's body.

Though Chris Hemsworth was bitching that Joss Whedon added a shirtless scene in Thor 2 (really bitch?), so maybe he keeps his clothes on this time.

by Anonymousreply 39April 10, 2017 9:11 PM

What does Joss have to do with Thor 2?

by Anonymousreply 40April 10, 2017 9:22 PM

He means Age of Ultron:

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 41April 10, 2017 9:24 PM

No I don't r41. Joss Whedon was basically running Marvel movies at that point, he had a big hand in all the movies, even the ones he wasn't directing.

The shirtless scene in Thor 2 was his idea.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 42April 10, 2017 9:24 PM

This looks like a fun flick!

by Anonymousreply 43April 10, 2017 9:29 PM

Every superhero trash movie is the same damn thing now, shame on cate the not so great for falling for the cbm menace.

by Anonymousreply 44April 10, 2017 9:31 PM

R42 Oh how funny. My bad. Thanks for the correction.

by Anonymousreply 45April 10, 2017 9:32 PM

Oh fuck off, R44. Seriously.

by Anonymousreply 46April 10, 2017 9:36 PM

You fuck off. And read a book, seriously. SMH ๐Ÿ˜’

by Anonymousreply 47April 10, 2017 9:54 PM

Watching movies and reading books are not mutually exclusive r47.

And please, please smack your head. Hard. Repeatedly

Hard and repeatedly.

by Anonymousreply 48April 10, 2017 9:58 PM

R46 Kill yourself cultureless nerd.

by Anonymousreply 49April 10, 2017 11:39 PM

I would not have known that was Kate Blancett if you haven't told me.

Where are Kat Dennings and Natalie Portman?

by Anonymousreply 50April 10, 2017 11:47 PM

[quote]Where are Kat Dennings and Natalie Portman?

Not in this movie thank goodness. They were an unnecessary addition to the franchise and the relationship between Thor and Portman's character was god awful.

by Anonymousreply 51April 10, 2017 11:57 PM

I think Kat Dennings makes a cameo appearance.

by Anonymousreply 52April 11, 2017 12:09 AM

pls no...

by Anonymousreply 53April 11, 2017 12:11 AM

Please YES!

by Anonymousreply 54April 11, 2017 12:19 AM

And by hammer, I mean my penis.

by Anonymousreply 55April 11, 2017 12:56 AM

R35 That's not the real reason; read R32 again. It's a symbolic and literal rebirth of the character, as can be clearly seen from him travelling to the underworld, losing his hammer, his trademark hair, his homeworld getting destroyed, etc.

I'm so excited for what Cate Blanchett will bring to the table. Even when she's just collecting a (huge) paycheck, she's still out-acting all others around her. People will fall in love her villain, I just know it. And it will probably do as much for female superhero representation as the WW movie.

Also, posters who call CB readers and CBM fans uncultured only reveal their own insecurities by lashing out like that. If you don't enjoy the genre, skip the thread, put it on ignore, whatever. Don't come here and attack people for having different tastes and preferences. [italic]Class Above All[/italic], as my whore mother would say.

by Anonymousreply 56April 11, 2017 1:39 PM

R50, me too. Did not recognize Cate. I thought it was Elizabeth Hurley!

Culture and pop culture are not mutually exclusive. I consider myself a Cinephile, watching every foreign language, independent and classic movie I can but I also delight in a GOOD superhero movie as if a child. Yes I also read!

by Anonymousreply 57April 12, 2017 7:08 AM

If I were 12, I might be thrilled!

by Anonymousreply 58April 12, 2017 7:32 AM

R58 But you're not, so your only option is to be a condescending ๐’ธ๐“Š๐“ƒ๐“‰?

by Anonymousreply 59April 12, 2017 9:18 AM

Cate's entry gave me goosebumps, literally.

by Anonymousreply 60April 12, 2017 2:50 PM

MARY!

by Anonymousreply 61April 12, 2017 9:02 PM

It looks fun and funny in that late 70s/ early 80s way, after the Origins age but before comics started taking themselves too seriously.

I loved that era, and that's when I jacked off to Thor, originally.

by Anonymousreply 62April 12, 2017 9:16 PM

R61 Why the MARY? This was Marvel's and Disney's most-watched trailer ever. And judging from several reactions to Blanchett's entrance in the trailer that I've seen on YouTube, [italic]everyone[/italic] flipped the fuck out when she was revealed, no exception.

Let's break out the [italic]Mary![/italic] phrase when it's actually needed.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 63April 12, 2017 9:17 PM

r61's reaction was completely appropriate. I can't believe you actually got defensive over it.

Also

[quote]This was Marvel's and Disney's most-watched trailer ever

That record gets broken every 2 two weeks, hell not even in this case, it was just broken March 31st.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 64April 12, 2017 9:20 PM

My MARY! was more in jest. Getting literal goosebumps at the sight of Cate is amusing to me. Don't get me wrong, I fucking love the woman and was excited when she appeared, but my response wasn't as physiological.

by Anonymousreply 65April 12, 2017 9:24 PM

Fuck me, that looks like a blast! Fun as all hell!

Right there, I see all the fast pace, hot men in peril, good supporting actors, ridiculous plot twists, and offhand humor that make the Marvel films so much more fun that the dreary stuff from DC. I am THERE for this, and might watch "Justice League" when it comes on HBO. Or SyFy.

by Anonymousreply 66April 12, 2017 9:27 PM

R65 I was certain you were one of those posters who've been bashing CB fans here; hence the defensiveness. Thank you for being so gracious in your response. Maybe you could teach that to R64 someday.

by Anonymousreply 67April 12, 2017 9:33 PM

Nope. I adore Cate and she looks badass in the film.

by Anonymousreply 68April 12, 2017 10:00 PM

R17 - HOW DARE YOU FORGET MOI!! Suicide Squad was my follow-up to my Oscar-win!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 69April 12, 2017 10:08 PM

Because despite your fluke of an Oscar win, no one really takes you seriously.

by Anonymousreply 70April 12, 2017 10:12 PM

Oh, that was Cate Blanchett? i thought it was Bill Kaulitz.

by Anonymousreply 71April 12, 2017 10:37 PM

goosy goosy BUMP

by Anonymousreply 72April 13, 2017 12:08 AM

[quote]Because despite your fluke of an Oscar win, no one really takes you seriously.

The corpses that I exhumed know how great I was in Suicide Squad.

by Anonymousreply 73April 13, 2017 1:20 AM

You don't have to try so hard anymore, V. You already won your Oscar.

by Anonymousreply 74April 13, 2017 6:20 AM

R68 Ha! By "CB fans" I meant [italic]comic book fans[/italic]; I didn't pause to think it could also mean [italic]Cate Blanchett fans[/italic]. I imagine there's no one on DL who would dare bash the latter. ๐Ÿ˜‚

I'm embarrassed to admit that at first, I thought she was just going to collect the paycheck with this movie and not bother acting-wise but from what I've heard in reactions to the trailer, she's giving it everything even in that one line she gets. Not to mention the superior face acting just before she shatters the hammer. She's a professional through and through and I'm a jaded cynic, is what I've learned from this trailer.

by Anonymousreply 75April 13, 2017 2:55 PM

I think most of the Name actors who sign onto these movies want to go a good job and not phone it in. Tilda Swinton gave a really great performance in Doctor Strange.

by Anonymousreply 76April 13, 2017 2:57 PM

Every Marvel Studios movie has been well-received by critics and audiences and is a big hit around the globe.

You make it seem like people are slumming it to appear, it's a great gig to get and a great way to show yourself to a large (and young) audience.

by Anonymousreply 77April 13, 2017 3:02 PM

The only Serious Actor that I've ever heard of that's had the poor sense to complain publicly about it was Glenn, and even she had to furiously walk it back.

by Anonymousreply 78April 13, 2017 3:16 PM

R76 You're right. Even when they [italic]do[/italic] complain (Hopkins, Elba) they still do a good job. I guess the sheer size of the audience that will see these movies is always on their mind when they're doing this gig. Not to mention that CB movies aren't considered (such) a joke anymore like they once were.

by Anonymousreply 79April 13, 2017 3:24 PM

Right. Aside from the paycheck, some of the audience will probably eventually want to consume more sophisticated fare will know who they are.

Will Smith could have just sleepwalked through Suicide Squad, but he and Margot Robbie tried really hard to save it.

by Anonymousreply 80April 13, 2017 3:29 PM

Every actor in the world wants in on the Marvel franchise!

Not only because they can get exposed to a massive audience, but because there's a chance of a recurring role in a series of hit films - which means steady work with a company that spares no expense, and pay raises for each appearance. And fan convention appearances, hopefully a share of the merchandise with your likeness on it, advertising gigs because you're world-famous, etc. Marvel can get any damn actor they want.

by Anonymousreply 81April 13, 2017 3:37 PM

A lot of them also genuinely look like they're having fun doing it.

That may be why everyone liked Gal Gadot in BvS. She was the only one who got that.

by Anonymousreply 82April 13, 2017 3:40 PM

[Quote] and pay raises for each appearance.

Isn't Marvel supposedly very stingy with their money??

by Anonymousreply 83April 13, 2017 3:47 PM

To really nerd out I wonder what type of contract Blanchett signed with Marvel.

In the comics, Thanos was obsessed Death and trying to impress her. If they keep that story-line Blanchett's Hela is the closet thing the Marvel movies have to that. I guess we will know if Blanchett ever goes to film for Infinity Wars, unlikely, but it would be interesting.

by Anonymousreply 84April 13, 2017 3:47 PM

She has Hela's fabulous headdress. That's really all you need.

by Anonymousreply 85April 13, 2017 3:49 PM

[quote]Isn't Marvel supposedly very stingy with their money??

Marvel was notoriously stingy when they were run by Ike Perlmutter, you are correct. In 2015 Kevin Feige was put in charge of the films though, so things have changed.

by Anonymousreply 86April 13, 2017 3:50 PM

R85 And it appears and retracts at will, plus she can use it as a weapon. It's what every drag queen dreams about.

I'm not the biggest fan of the cold shoulder in her costume or dresses with cold shoulders in general, but if anyone can make it work, it's her.

by Anonymousreply 87April 13, 2017 4:25 PM

Why is Thor such a big deal all of a sudden? The first two Thors were bottom of the barrel for Marvel, both critically and financially.

by Anonymousreply 88April 13, 2017 10:56 PM

The first Thor did slightly better at the box office than the first Captain American movie. It was Winter Solider that made the Cap franchise explode, while Thor 2 was considered one of Marvel's weakest efforts.

There is some hype about this one because they brought in a director people are excited about, got rid of Portman's character, brought in the Hulk and Cate Blanchett. Kevin Feige has said they are trying to make this one the "Winter Soldier of the Thor" franchise. And the trailer seems to carry that out, it looks good.

by Anonymousreply 89April 13, 2017 11:06 PM

Most Marvel fans agree that the first two Thor films are the weakest of the MCU, but the characters Thor and Loki are still well liked, the latter especially amongst fangirls. New Zealand director Taika Waititi, who's responsible for film nerd favorites What We Do in the Shadows and Hunt for the Wilderpeople, is at the helm this time and seems to be taking the franchise in an exciting direction. Chris Hemsworth is immensely likable as Thor and the fans have wanted a film that they can like as much as the character.

by Anonymousreply 90April 13, 2017 11:09 PM

The first two Thor movies are guilty pleasures of mine. Sure, they lack the depth of the better Marvel films, but they also lack the pretentiousness and muddled plots of big films like "Civil War" and "Ultron". They're just about a gorgeous hunk and his brother who ought to be here at the Datalounge, and the jock-and-bitch dynamic makes them fun!

I'm going to see this one. In the theater.

by Anonymousreply 91April 13, 2017 11:12 PM

R91 That's [italic]exactly[/italic] how I would describe both Thor movies: guilty pleasures. I know the majority of Marvel fans will say that they sucked ass (especially the second one) but they're my absolute favourites. And don't be coming after my taste levels, bitches! I just love these two movies for transporting me [italic]away[/italic] from this goddamn Earth, at least for a while. I love anything to do with Asgard so I'm sad that it's apparently getting destroyed.

Civil War is so beloved but I just don't care much for that dour stuff; all I want is some campy, harmless fun. Of course, people expect different things from CB movies so I'm glad there are so many options for different tastes these days.

R90 I remember when Hiddleston was all the rage back in the day when he came out in his costume and everyone lost their collective shit. And then he opened his mouth. Today, he's one scandal away from being a trainwreck so I imagine his publicist must be working like crazy.

by Anonymousreply 92April 13, 2017 11:30 PM

Why do fangirls love Loki? I know some lesbians who are obsessed and collect everything Loki.

by Anonymousreply 93April 14, 2017 12:02 AM

You're wondering why girls like brooding pretty boys?

by Anonymousreply 94April 14, 2017 12:04 AM

...brooding ๐•ญ๐–—๐–Ž๐–™๐–Ž๐–˜๐– pretty boys.

by Anonymousreply 95April 14, 2017 12:06 AM

But why do lesbians love Loki?

by Anonymousreply 96April 14, 2017 12:06 AM

ooh... can't speak for Lesbians.

by Anonymousreply 97April 14, 2017 12:08 AM

Loki has also been a woman from time to time.

by Anonymousreply 98April 14, 2017 12:09 AM

I love Loki because he's a bitchy gay character! With superpowers! And he outwits the dumb jock every damn time!

Hiddleston has done a terrific job with him, he's by far the best MCU villain and a standout among the franchise actors. Pity the man doesn't seem to have any career smarts, he could be a terrific character actor but he's throwing everything away trying to be an action star.

by Anonymousreply 99April 14, 2017 12:19 AM

[quote]he's by far the best MCU villain

That's kind of a low bar.

by Anonymousreply 100April 14, 2017 12:22 AM

They better bring it for Thanos. He's incredible in the comics.

by Anonymousreply 101April 14, 2017 12:25 AM

So is standing out among the Marvel cast, R100.

by Anonymousreply 102April 14, 2017 12:26 AM

[quote]So is standing out among the Marvel cast, [R100].

That's not really as low a bar as you're making it out to be. They've cast all of the heroes really, really well. I mean, who knew I'd have seen four movies with ScarJo where I thought she was perfect? Even the minor characters were done so well that two of them got spinoffs.

by Anonymousreply 103April 14, 2017 12:28 AM

Yeah, I've always thought the casting was the highlight of the Marvel films.

by Anonymousreply 104April 14, 2017 12:29 AM

R100 There's a low bar for villains both in the MCU and the DCEU. I don't know who scares me more, the dumb Ronan or the dancing Enchantress. Unlike everyone else, I [italic]was[/italic] scared shitless by Malekith, though.

They're both shit when it comes to the characterisation of villains. Of course, Blanchett will be a game changer here.

by Anonymousreply 105April 14, 2017 12:31 AM

[quote]I love Loki because he's a bitchy gay character!

Isn't it odd how Thor is on his third love interest but we get zero romance on Loki's part? It's all just mommy and daddy issues [italic]all the damn time[/italic]. I love the character be he's totally desexed. Even the frost giants obviously have sex now and then so why not him? Throw him a man already! It'll stop him from brooding and scheming so much.

by Anonymousreply 106April 14, 2017 12:38 AM

[quote]I don't know who scares me more, the dumb Ronan or the dancing Enchantress.

There is no question there. Enchantress, who was described as looking like "Those wavy inflatable arm things outside car dealerships."

by Anonymousreply 107April 14, 2017 12:40 AM

Loki is too obsessed with Thor to have a girlfriend, R106. Which shows excellent taste on his part.

And yeah, Marvel has done a terrific job on casting even if it meant spending real money, while the DC people seem to throw any schmuck who can fit into a costume on the screen.

by Anonymousreply 108April 14, 2017 12:41 AM

R80

No kidding.

I had never seen Margot Robbie until I rented SS a few months ago. Horrid movie, but she was luminous and hysterical and rose above the material.

by Anonymousreply 109April 14, 2017 12:41 AM

Margot Robbie's pretty similar to Chris Hemsworth in that they could easily get by on their looks alone, but they manage to be charismatic actors and a joy to watch on screen.

by Anonymousreply 110April 14, 2017 12:55 AM

Wait, when was Enchantress in a movie?

by Anonymousreply 111April 14, 2017 1:09 AM

Suicide Squad.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 112April 14, 2017 1:11 AM

Was Enchantress in Thor 2?

by Anonymousreply 113April 14, 2017 1:14 AM

We're talking about the DC character Enchantress. The Marvel Enchantress has yet to make it onto a screen, but she's been a few of Marvel's animated films,

by Anonymousreply 114April 14, 2017 1:17 AM

I know that I'll be flamed to hell and back, yet I'm certain that I clicked into an alternate DL Universe on this thread. I have never read a DL CBM thread (and yes, I know that I haven't read all of them) that even approached having a majority of positive posts. Thread after thread, and post after post have railed against CBMs (both Marvel and DC) and have blamed them for the dumbing down of cinema in general as well as the loss of IQ points for the movie-going public at large. What I've regularly read on DL are posts similar to [italic]"...When will they stop making these??? I'm so sick of CBMs, which are movies for kids and basement dwellers, and dammit, I want movies for functioning adults !"[/italic]

So what the hell is up with all of the giddy fanboying and fangirling for T:R? Is it because you're all so hot for Hemsworth and worship Blanchett?

by Anonymousreply 115April 14, 2017 1:54 AM

I'm an exclusive top, and I would like to have Chris in me, quite deeply.

by Anonymousreply 116April 14, 2017 1:56 AM

[quote]I'm an exclusive top

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 117April 14, 2017 2:49 AM

R100 is right that being the best villain in the MCU is a joke, I enjoy their movies but there is always almost no characterization of the villain.

So far Loki is probably the only antagonist that actually felt like a real character you cared about.

by Anonymousreply 118April 14, 2017 2:52 AM

[quote]Margot Robbie's pretty similar to Chris Hemsworth in that they could easily get by on their looks alone, but they manage to be charismatic actors and a joy to watch on screen.

I don't know Margot Robbie that well, but let's be honest, most of Hemsworth's career is getting by on his looks. "Rush" is a movie I enjoyed but it was still carried by Daniel Brรผhl.

by Anonymousreply 119April 14, 2017 2:54 AM

R115 You'll still find those disparaging responses in this thread, but yeah, I'm surprised by the overall positivity as well.

R119 Well both actors are primarily enjoyed because they're fuckable, but they're also talented. I thought Margot was just as good as Leo and Jonah in Wolf of Wall Street, and she did a solid job in the little seen Z for Zachariah. Rush was definitely Daniel Brรผhl's film. He came so close to an Oscar nomination. Hemsworth gets Thor's comedic timing down, which surprised me in the first film. He's endearing along with all the hotness.

by Anonymousreply 120April 14, 2017 3:01 AM

I think Hemsworth is doing as much as can be done with the role of Thor, who is basically written as a thoughtless meathead, while Loki is given all the good lines. Thor is a thankless role, really, both the writers and the comic nerd viewers identify with the clever, bitchy Loki, and he gets all the good lines and gets to put one over on Thor again and again. But Hemsworth isn't overshadowed, he brings a likability and enthusiasm to the role, he's endearing and occasionally funny as well as mega-hot.

Like I said, Marvel has done an excellent job with casting, they even found someone who could make boring old Captain America interesting.

by Anonymousreply 121April 14, 2017 3:31 AM

[quote]but from what I've heard in reactions to the trailer, she's giving it everything even in that one line she gets. Not to mention the superior face acting just before she shatters the hammer.

This is fandom at another level.

by Anonymousreply 122April 14, 2017 4:16 AM

!!!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 123April 14, 2017 5:29 AM

R123

Don't worry. Throg will get his own movie eventually.

by Anonymousreply 124April 14, 2017 5:42 AM

R122 Is it really? Aren't [italic]you[/italic] excited for quality acting when you see it? I just love watching people who are competent at what they do and I won't apologise for it. Saying I'm a delusional fan is your right, of course. As is my right to slap you on my ignore list.

I personally can't wait for the WW movie, but I'm already dreading Gadot's line delivery. At least I know in advance that I won't cringe when I see Blanchett open her mouth as Hela.

by Anonymousreply 125April 14, 2017 10:36 AM

[quote]Loki is too obsessed with Thor to have a girlfriend

See, I don't buy that logic, R108; seems like such a cop-out to me. So he's been up to hijinks and mischief [italic]all[/italic] his waking hours from his childhood, right up to adulthood? He has to knock one out now and then, right?! I'm just assuming he's gay and fucking members of Odin's private guard in his spare time until proven otherwise.

by Anonymousreply 126April 14, 2017 2:10 PM

R126 & R108 are hilarious observations.

by Anonymousreply 127April 14, 2017 5:37 PM

R115 I enjoy this thread as well. The MCU reddit sub seems intimidating to me so I don't visit it very often and I can't think of any other place to discuss these movies now that the IMDb message boards are gone.

The snooty posters who bash CB movies aren't fun but I just block them. I find the constant comparisons between DCEU and MCU more tiresome, especially when they start denigrating one to somehow score points for the other.

Though what really makes me uncomfortable are those intense fans that will eat you alive. Someone has thrown an epic bitch fit in the Justice League thread over the WW costume change and I haven't been there since. I know some people are [italic]very[/italic] emotionally involved in all this but still... feels like walking into a psych ward at times.

by Anonymousreply 128April 14, 2017 5:41 PM

The movie looks like fun, however didn't they have enough budget to put a decent wig on Hiddleston? Seriously it looks like some ratty korean hairpiece only Robert Redford would wear.

by Anonymousreply 129April 14, 2017 6:35 PM

R129 I think the shorter locks look nicer and the wig probably wouldn't flow in the air like it does in that shot if they moisturised it too much.

It's a long time until November; perhaps some queen on the CG team will catch that and moisture the wig in post. Otherwise, the whole damn thing might flop!

I [italic]do[/italic] appreciate the Redford shade.

by Anonymousreply 130April 14, 2017 6:47 PM

Does anyone remember Cate in that wretched Indiana Jones movie with Shia LePew? Just thinking about that godawful thing gives me hives! Were they all smoking? I know Harrison and Karen were as usual.

This CANNOT be worse than THAT monstrosity!

by Anonymousreply 131April 14, 2017 6:48 PM

Can't blame Cate for Kingdom of the Crystal Skull. John Hurt barely made it out alive in that film.

by Anonymousreply 132April 14, 2017 7:05 PM

It's surprising to me to hear that "most" Marvel fanboys downgrade the Thor films. The first one was what drew me back to Marvel onscreen for good, as a fan of the comics from the early 80s...

But yeah, they did more with Iron Man and Cap than I ever would have imagined. Please cast Medusa the Inhuman very soon ( or is she owned by the FF studio fuckery? Consolidate it bitches)

I agree about the excellent casting at Marvel as opposed to DC: I've never been completely happy with a movie Batman, but I have loved how Cap, Tony, Thor, Loki, Natasha and others have been played by their respective actors

by Anonymousreply 133April 14, 2017 10:08 PM

[quote]Please cast Medusa the Inhuman very soon

Already done.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 134April 14, 2017 10:11 PM

Wait, Inhumans is an ABC show now? I thought it was going to be a movie in phase 3.

by Anonymousreply 135April 15, 2017 4:40 AM

R135 It's a TV show, and I think it's because Inhumans play a huge part in Agents of Shield that you would have to intertwine the two.

Chris Hemsworth shines when he is given something comedic to do. Can't wait to see the dynamics between Thor/Banner/Loki. Tessa Thompson as Valkyrie is promising.

by Anonymousreply 136April 15, 2017 4:46 AM

Regarding the reasons for Blanchett's interest in the role, I certainly wouldn't rule out the money, but also she has three sons under the age of 17 who probably think this is the coolest thing she's ever done.

by Anonymousreply 137April 15, 2017 4:50 AM

[quote]Tessa Thompson as Valkyrie is promising.

She looked hot in the trailer.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 138April 15, 2017 5:39 AM

I thought that was either Rihanna or Michelle Rodriguez.

by Anonymousreply 139April 15, 2017 5:40 AM

R138 She's fresh-faced and attractive but she doesn't seem to have much screen presence in that trailer; it's the same facial expression in every shot. I'll have to watch Creed to see if she's any good. Would love to see the charisma machine that is Rosario Dawson cast in this role but she's probably more valuable as Claire.

I [italic]do[/italic] love that they didn't go with another white actress, though.

by Anonymousreply 140April 15, 2017 2:59 PM

Valerie is supposed to be black?!?

by Anonymousreply 141April 15, 2017 9:30 PM

Am I the only one who thinks that seeing the gorgeous Almighty Thor chained and enslaved is... way hot?

by Anonymousreply 142April 15, 2017 10:48 PM

R142 Would be even hotter if Hela was busting his balls with her heels.

by Anonymousreply 143April 15, 2017 11:03 PM

[quote]Am I the only one who thinks that seeing the gorgeous Almighty Thor chained and enslaved is... way hot?

....yes dear. You are the [italic]only one[/italic]

Of course some people find it hot!

by Anonymousreply 144April 16, 2017 12:10 AM

I saw Creed. The actress was great in that. Independent, intriguing, strong but sexy. I think she'll do well even though she's visually so different from the comics.

by Anonymousreply 145April 16, 2017 12:30 AM

I usually roll my eyes when I hear news like this but it's Goldblum so... we'll see?

Just don't make it cringy, please. And maybe hire a comedy writer to give his/her blessing in the editing room as well.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 146May 9, 2017 1:45 PM

New trailer just released at Comic-Con.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 147July 23, 2017 1:30 AM

I'm into it.

And Miss Michelle Pfeiffer announced as Janet Van Dyne for the Ant Man sequel.

by Anonymousreply 148July 23, 2017 1:42 AM

Did no one catch sexy bald Karl Urban as Hela's henchman?

by Anonymousreply 149July 23, 2017 1:46 AM

The newest trailer has some cool shots, the director is really having some fun with this movie. Given how the prior Thor movies have been a bit lackluster I love they aren't holding anything back for this one.

by Anonymousreply 150July 23, 2017 1:52 AM

Also they added a shirtless Thor shot lol, we were complaining that there wasn't one.

by Anonymousreply 151July 23, 2017 1:53 AM

[quote]In the comics, Thanos was obsessed Death and trying to impress her. If they keep that story-line Blanchett's Hela is the closet thing the Marvel movies have to that.

Twice in this trailer they emphasize Hela is the goddess of Death...

by Anonymousreply 152July 23, 2017 1:56 AM

The third one may make more money than the first and second combined. Very rare that a third installment in a franchise is a high point, its usually when a series starts to descend. I can only think of Toy Story 3 as another example of the opposite.

by Anonymousreply 153July 23, 2017 2:11 AM

R133 WTF are you smoking? Disney/Marvel has had a director like Nolan or an actor with the gravitas of Bale. Some of the Marvel zombies really are clueless. Yes legions of people can't wait to see Jeff Goldblum in this....not.

by Anonymousreply 154July 23, 2017 2:12 AM

It's great they let Taiki Watiti add his comedic sensibilities to Thor.

Plus, Watiti's hot.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 155July 23, 2017 2:25 AM

I'm just going to put this here....

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 156July 23, 2017 3:13 AM

In action.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 157July 23, 2017 3:53 AM

[quote]Plus, Watiti's hot.

Taika's easily one of the beautiful directors working right now.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 158July 23, 2017 3:55 AM

Why Valkyrie is black?

by Anonymousreply 159July 23, 2017 3:58 AM

Because the actress playing her is black.

by Anonymousreply 160July 23, 2017 4:03 AM

Some Aussie accent slipping in there with Cate, or is it just me?

The only thing that would make this movie even more perfect in my eyes would be Rene Russo descending from Valhalla for one last knife combat with Hela. Oh, I miss her so.

by Anonymousreply 161July 23, 2017 9:32 AM

Clancy Brown to voice Surtur.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 162July 23, 2017 3:28 PM

[quote]Some Aussie accent slipping in there with Cate, or is it just me?

I don't understand why she wouldn't play this role with her normal accent. I mean it would be odd to put on an American accent to play this norse god lol.

by Anonymousreply 163July 23, 2017 3:30 PM

R163 How did you get the impression that I was against it? I asked only because I enjoyed hearing it and would love it if she spoke like that in the whole movie. Made me smile for some reason.

by Anonymousreply 164July 23, 2017 3:36 PM

Me too, r164. I like that there can be different accents in space, and on Asgard.

by Anonymousreply 165July 23, 2017 3:58 PM

I'm most excited for pocket-cutie Ruffalo. Do you think Bruce Banner would bottom for Thor?

by Anonymousreply 166July 23, 2017 4:18 PM

A goddess even when not on screen.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 167July 23, 2017 4:51 PM

[quote]Why Valkyrie is black?

For the same reason Heimdall was in the first Thor movie- colorblind casting.

by Anonymousreply 168July 23, 2017 6:00 PM

Seeing how they are aliens from another dimension it doesn't bother me. Besides the movie looks pretty fun.

by Anonymousreply 169July 23, 2017 8:11 PM

Is there a reason why Natalie Portman, Stellan Skarsgard and Kat Dennings are not in this one?

by Anonymousreply 170July 23, 2017 8:13 PM

Their characters dragged down the narrative and they felt they could make a better movie without them? The Thor/Jane romance was terrible. Natalie Portman didn't want to be doing this and was happy to be let go.

Frankly, fuck so much earth focus, notice nothing in this trailer even takes place on earth? They are changing things up and and gonna try treating Thor like the fantastical being he is.

by Anonymousreply 171July 23, 2017 8:19 PM

I never liked the Earth focus either. You have Asgard and so many other planets and realms and you keep showing us Midgard? Seems lazy. Of course, it was perfectly fine at first, in order to ground the story and the characters.

Only a small portion of the movie takes place on Earth this time around.

by Anonymousreply 172July 23, 2017 8:30 PM

[bold]Around 80% of Thor: Ragnarok Was Improvised[/bold]

[quote]My style of working is Iโ€™ll often be behind the camera, or right next to the camera yelling words at people, like, โ€˜Say this, say this! Say it this way!โ€™ Iโ€™ll straight-up give Anthony Hopkins a line reading. I donโ€™t care.

Jesus Hela Christ.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 173July 23, 2017 11:26 PM

It looks fantastic! This might be the best comic film since Batman Returns.

by Anonymousreply 174July 23, 2017 11:32 PM

I suspect y'all will think I'm a big Mary! But I loved Thor: The Dark World, and even cried at certain points. It's one of my top 3 favorite comic book movies, after Superman ('78) and Spider-Man 2 ('04).

by Anonymousreply 175July 24, 2017 1:02 AM

R175 Right there with you when it comes to the second Thor movie. I suspect we're one of the very few who would rate it that highly, though.

It has two things I love most in my fantasy: a cosmic horror, woken from its slumber, and a great maternal figure. And when those two met and the former barely made it out alive, well, let's just say I knew immediately that it will be one of my favourite movies.

by Anonymousreply 176July 24, 2017 10:42 AM

[quote]Do you think Bruce Banner would bottom for Thor?

Have you been watching these films at all? It's obvious who Banner bottoms for.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 177July 24, 2017 1:01 PM

Thor in space is fine with me. I had a t-shirt of this comic book cover as a kid in the 80s, and may still have it packed away, threadbare. It got me compliments all through college and I wish we could see scenes like this in movies to come.

Too bad Silver Surfer is tied up with the FF franchise for movies.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 178July 24, 2017 7:17 PM

Thanks r177! I don't get comic book plots, but it's hot little Tony bottoms for his buddy pocket Bruce.

by Anonymousreply 179July 24, 2017 10:35 PM

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 180July 25, 2017 9:08 AM

Looks to be shortest Marvel movie yet.

[quote]The cut right now, I reckon itโ€™s about 100 minutes. Itโ€™s not gonna be a very, very long film. I think that stories are better when you leave them wanting more, and this film moves at a clip, itโ€™s got stuff happening all the time. I think people are still gonna feel exhausted by the end, theyโ€™ve been on this big journey and stuff, so I donโ€™t think we need the film to be three hours.

Short and sweet.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 181July 25, 2017 4:00 PM

I for one am okay with color-blind casting of Asgardians, it's perfectly congruent with the idea that the old Norse God's were actually powerful aliens.

Just because the people who thought the Asgardians were Gods were all white, doesn't mean the Asgardians themselves were.

by Anonymousreply 182July 25, 2017 4:11 PM

I don't remember, [italic]was[/italic] there even an outrage over Valkyrie like there was over Heimdall?

In any case, I'm glad we seem to be largely past that. Now we just have to work on not going berserk over gender-blind casting as well.

by Anonymousreply 183July 25, 2017 4:26 PM

Did Blanchett have her face pulled, just a tad bit?

Scroll down for pic.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 184July 26, 2017 5:49 AM

Why does someone keep saying Thor is an alien? He's a Norse God. The God of Thunder.

by Anonymousreply 185July 26, 2017 9:20 AM

Have you watched any marvel movies r185?

In MCU they made very clear that the Asgardians are powerful aliens who visited earth and the ancient people just worshipped these aliens as gods.

by Anonymousreply 186July 26, 2017 1:32 PM

The way Jack Kirby drew him, he always looked pretty godlike to me.

by Anonymousreply 187July 26, 2017 1:52 PM

[quote]Waititi also explained another surprising decision from the Thor: Ragnarok trailer: why he and Loki are spotted wielding assault rifles.

[quote]"I think we really wanted to challenge Thor in this film. He's challenged more than in any of the other films," said Waititi. "He loses the hammer, which is the source of his power, and he's really on the back foot most of the film. We didn't want him to be able to utilize magic, or to have Loki's magic. We didn't want him to have too many advantages. He had to really find his way out of this predicament using his brain and using his friends."

That's the only part in the trailer that disappointed me. Even in fantasy, we can't seem to avoid those fucking guns. I will forever be a fan of melee weapons.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 188July 26, 2017 3:26 PM

Lol r187. To be accurate in the comics Thor is just a god, the Asgardians are just aliens thing was the way the movies decided to go.

by Anonymousreply 189July 26, 2017 3:38 PM

[bold]Cate Blanchett Dishes on What it Was Like Playing Marvel's First Female Supervillain[/bold]

[quote]I didnโ€™t realizeโ€ฆ I was inhabiting the first female Marvel villain onscreen. I thought, โ€˜Surely notโ€ฆ well, no actually thatโ€™s true.โ€™ Thereโ€™s been many, many, many [female villains] in the comic books, but theyโ€™ve been a little tardy in bringing them to the screen, so hopefully there will be a lot more villainesses.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 190July 29, 2017 9:43 AM

Care Blanchett, and Jeff Goldbloom? The goes the Avengers neighborhood.

by Anonymousreply 191July 29, 2017 10:54 AM

Jeff Goldblum is very sexy. Wonder how pocket Ruffalo felt being around tall people like Hemsworth and Goldblum. A lesser man would by intimidated!

by Anonymousreply 192July 29, 2017 11:13 AM

With Goldblum's help, this movie will...uh...find a way.

by Anonymousreply 193July 29, 2017 6:23 PM

:I don't remember, was there even an outrage over Valkyrie like there was over Heimdall? :"

A bit, but after a while even the worst fanboys agreed that when casting Valkyries, hotness is more important than race and the girl is hot.

by Anonymousreply 194July 29, 2017 9:48 PM

Tilda Swinton was awesome as the "Angel Gabriel" in Francis Lawrence's "Constantine."

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 195July 29, 2017 9:53 PM

[quote]A bit, but after a while even the worst fanboys agreed that when casting Valkyries, hotness is more important than race and the girl is hot.

Thanks for answering my question. Leave to the nerds to be hypocritical when it comes to this. Because of course they'll excuse it if it means a new addition to their spank bank. Eurgh.

R195 She really was, wasn't she? Although what has that got to do with this particular movie?

by Anonymousreply 196July 29, 2017 10:03 PM

[quote]Lol [R187]. To be accurate in the comics Thor is just a god, the Asgardians are just aliens thing was the way the movies decided to go.

Thor is not an alien. He is portrayed in the comics the same way as in the movies. He is also from Asgard in the comics and came to earth. So if this makes him an alien then he was also an alien in the comics.

by Anonymousreply 197July 30, 2017 5:48 AM

[quote]Just because the people who thought the Asgardians were Gods were all white, doesn't mean the Asgardians themselves were.

The Asir pantheon arose from the previous Vanir and Jotan ones, as Scandinavian culture evolved. People are understandably territorial about their cultural myths. Shit would hit the appropriation fan if Yemaya and Chango were cast as white people in movies, so it shouldn't have been surprising that some people didn't want Heimdall's cultural background changed. I didn't personally have a problem with it, but I understand why it became a bone of contention beyond the fanboy community.

by Anonymousreply 198July 31, 2017 1:49 AM

Why did people have such a problem with Johnny Storm being black?

by Anonymousreply 199August 1, 2017 10:14 AM

Because they still gave him a white sister, R199?

If they wanted to reduce the whiteness o the F4, they should have either made Johnny and Sue the same fucking race, or made Reed Richards himself something other than white (Thing is orange, so the actor's race doesn't matter). I was ridiculous to make ONE of the Storm siblings a different race instead of two, because obviously Hollywood only wants one POC on a four-person team, and of course Hollywood wants to keep the team leader white and straight. So I'm fine with non-traditional casting, but it's possible to do it wrong and they did.

by Anonymousreply 200August 1, 2017 8:18 PM

Does the concept of adoption not exist in the F4 universe or?

by Anonymousreply 201August 1, 2017 8:20 PM

I love 2002 Mr Fantastic Ioan Grufford (RIP his career). Hollywood is a roll-of-the-dice, Ioan is as handsome and fit as RDJ (though not as charismatic).

In his absence I'll take Mark Ruffalo looking like a pocket bottom in Thor 3.

by Anonymousreply 202August 1, 2017 10:28 PM

[quote]Does the concept of adoption not exist in the F4 universe or?

Actually, the one thing the Trank movie did that I thought was clever was having Sue, not Johnny, be the adopted sibling.

by Anonymousreply 203August 1, 2017 11:28 PM

R203 Well, that's just rubbing the salt in the racists' wounds. No wonder they tore it apart.

I feel like once Bond goes black, all complaining over other colour-blind castings will go away as well.

by Anonymousreply 204August 1, 2017 11:40 PM

[quote][R203] Well, that's just rubbing the salt in the racists' wounds. No wonder they tore it apart.

They tore it apart because it was terrible. It just had one good idea.

[quote]I feel like once Bond goes black, all complaining over other colour-blind castings will go away as well.

Look at the reactions to the Thirteenth Doctor's being a woman, and see if you still feel that way.

by Anonymousreply 205August 1, 2017 11:42 PM

I didn't say the critics (rightfully) tore it apart, I said the racists tore it apart. Two different things. Anyway, I don't intend to lose any more words on that terrible movie.

[quote]Look at the reactions to the Thirteenth Doctor's being a woman, and see if you still feel that way.

I've been monitoring those reactions carefully on several DrWho forums as I'm a huge fan of the show and I agree with Steven Moffat's assessment at Comic-Con: there is no backlash. It's a manufactured narrative and the menchildren got collectively nervous precisely [italic]because[/italic] there was no backlash like they hoped there would be.

by Anonymousreply 206August 1, 2017 11:48 PM

Seriously r201. They were still siblings in the new fantastic four movie, they didn't change the mythology of the characters at all. People just flipped out because they didn't want one of the characters to be black, don't pretend like it was about them being siblings.

by Anonymousreply 207August 1, 2017 11:51 PM

[quote]People just flipped out because they didn't want one of the characters to be black, don't pretend like it was about them being siblings.

I don't understand your comment as you are pointing out something that I have never said. [italic]Of course[/italic] the outrage wasn't about them being siblings; people just didn't want a black character [italic]at all[/italic] and felt the adoption explanation was condescending, even though it's [italic]entirely plausible.[/italic] Do people not know anyone who was adopted?! Their dismissal of that explanation showed them for the racists they really are.

by Anonymousreply 208August 2, 2017 12:01 AM

I was agreeing with you r201/r208.

by Anonymousreply 209August 2, 2017 12:03 AM

"I didn't say the critics (rightfully) tore it apart, I said the racists tore it apart."

And the non-racists tore it apart because it stuck to the Hollywood tokenism formula of one black character on a team, always in a subordinate position.

Of course the movie sucked as well, which meant that nobody wanted to forgive anything.

by Anonymousreply 210August 2, 2017 12:14 AM

R209 Oof, sorry, I was still fired up from sparring with another poster!

Incredible how one post can be interpreted two different ways just by reading that very first word in the wrong tone.

by Anonymousreply 211August 2, 2017 12:14 AM

R210 It's not good when it's tokenism and it's not good when the cast is predominantly black. Better then to not even try and just stick to the status quo; worked well for whites for so long so it can't be [italic]that[/italic] bad, right?

I'm sure those people who were outraged would have been [italic]delighted[/italic] to have two black members of Fantastic Four. Overjoyed, even.

by Anonymousreply 212August 2, 2017 12:19 AM

No one on the Fantastic Four should be black, just like you can't have a black Superman, Wonder Woman, or Batman or people would revolt.

by Anonymousreply 213August 2, 2017 2:43 AM

Obviously Superman can't be anything but white, R213, his square-jawed blue-eyed looks are even more iconic than the suit! You've just got to have an actor with that look, even if you've got to slap blue contacts in his eyes.

But... I'm okay with a Semitic Wonder Woman, because she looked and sounded like she was from the eastern Med, an she had the flowing dark hair and something resembling the right build. But Batman... the Batman costume is what makes the character iconic, not Bruce Wayne's looks. He's been played by actors will all sorts of builds and hair color, I don't see why there couldn't be variations in skin color as well. Really, I think a Batman could be any color, as long as he fits into the suit an has that old-money polish.

by Anonymousreply 214August 2, 2017 3:43 PM

R213 They had been threatening with the same kind of revolt during mere mentions of potentially casting a woman to play the Doctor in Doctor Who.

If we only ever listened to apocalyptic predictions of what might happen, we'd never see PoC in our movies.

by Anonymousreply 215August 2, 2017 3:51 PM

Interesting theory that Odin is keeping the soul stone in his eye socket.

I still think it's in Thor's hammer because we need that final fucking H to spell out THANOS.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 216September 30, 2017 10:12 PM

Can't wait for promo interviews in about 2-3 weeks, since the movie comes out end October in non-USA countries. Mark Ruffalo is looking very fine. My type of pocket gay. Uh guy.

by Anonymousreply 217September 30, 2017 10:28 PM

Oh-oh, the latest trailer reveals some last-minute changes. Hela now doesn't shatter Thor's hammer in an alleyway but in an open green field of some sort.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 218October 6, 2017 2:41 PM

Cate's really having a marvelous time gnawing into that scenery like a beaver, isn't she?

by Anonymousreply 219October 7, 2017 10:30 AM

R219 She really is. Waititi probably told her not to hold back in any way, shape or form. And I'm [italic]living[/italic] for that accent!

by Anonymousreply 220October 7, 2017 10:36 AM

To the other two people following this thread (lol): I thought the st would appear at NY Comic Con this weekend, but looks like a no.

Perfect timing to shill. Although most nycc attendees would buy a Thor ticket regardless I suppose.

by Anonymousreply 221October 7, 2017 6:55 PM

R221 What's "st"?

They're shilling the movie with #Helaween on Twitter, with new promo being dropped daily for a month right up until the movie's release. But I've been so excited since the movie's announcement by Feige that I don't need any more nudging to see it!

by Anonymousreply 222October 7, 2017 7:05 PM

Yeah with this director and Cate Blanchett being brought on board I was excited about this movie, and the trailer was just as promising as I had hoped.

by Anonymousreply 223October 7, 2017 7:07 PM

R222 st= cast. Didn't feel the need to correct that and add to thread post.

I'm barely seeing any new footage in the trailer. But I saw 2 seconds of Bruce topless, meeting Thor. Probably after he transforms back from Hulk.

Hope they play up the bromance, although Hemsworth-Ruffalo is an odd pairing (on the surface).

by Anonymousreply 224October 7, 2017 7:22 PM

Ain't it grand, R219?

I am SO looking forward to this campfest!

by Anonymousreply 225October 8, 2017 5:13 AM

Most of the time, I like it better when the big, fancy actors try to play what is ultimately silly material straight.

However, this is a character that clearly demands it.

by Anonymousreply 226October 8, 2017 2:47 PM

First round of individual interviews, bitches. With Fox. The charismatic director Waititi is interviewed too, but my heart is with the cute and earnest Mark Ruffalo.

Sorry to the Blanchett queens, she nor Hiddleston are interviewed here.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 227October 11, 2017 12:47 AM

I need to see a threeway between Chris, Taiki and Mark. I think they're all sexy.

by Anonymousreply 228October 11, 2017 1:26 AM

Early buzz came out two days ago, how did I miss this?!

[quote]Cate Blanchett as the villainess may be the first actress to deliver her performance entirely in GIFโ€ฆTake the fun Cate is having in THOR RAGNAROK, double it, and you get the fun Tessa Thompson is having. Swaggiest superheroine ever?

[quote]The best: Cate Blanchett scene stealing, Jeff Goldblum Goldblum-ing.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 229October 11, 2017 8:59 PM

^those quotes sound like it's just saying something nice about each supporting character, for the sake of saying something nice.

The hype is ON, since LA premiere was on 10th October. And Mr dopey Ruffalo instagrammed livestreamed the first 10 minutes audio of the film.

by Anonymousreply 230October 11, 2017 11:10 PM

R230 No, I just selected a couple of them which mention Cate because I'm a fan of hers. The author of the first quote, for example, follows that with another tweet complaining about bad lighting and the movie being too breezy.

I've heard this complaint a lot, i.e. that it plays like a straight comedy.

by Anonymousreply 231October 11, 2017 11:24 PM

*straight-up comedy

by Anonymousreply 232October 11, 2017 11:25 PM

R231 thanks hunny. I'm in it for Ruffalo and I wanna know how many minutes his chubby face appears on-screen. I should read your link lol.

You're in luck. I'm sure no critic would say anything bad about Cate.

by Anonymousreply 233October 11, 2017 11:27 PM

I don't know about that; there are rumblings that she's outshone by Tessa Thompson, which is kind of a slight in itself.

But of course, she remains the main draw on the female side of the cast regardless.

by Anonymousreply 234October 11, 2017 11:36 PM

What? Newcomer Tessa with her fake accent on-screen? Maybe reviewers were just hamming it up. Cate has the distinction of being the first ever main female villian, so you have that to celebrate.

(Maya Hansen in IM3 was totally an apprentice to Killian Aldrich)

by Anonymousreply 235October 11, 2017 11:39 PM

I'm so hungry for this movie I don't mind listening to the audio only of its first ten minutes.

Doesn't talent usually discreetly leave the theatre once the movie starts at these big premieres? Seems like a torture, having to watch yourself on screen.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 236October 12, 2017 9:13 AM

Someone made this collage of Goldblum getting hotter with age and I agree!

Though do you think there are people who will go see the new Thor movie because of him alone?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 237October 12, 2017 3:53 PM

Yeah the early reviews for it very positive. Apparently it is like Guardians in tone, very colorful and funny.

by Anonymousreply 238October 12, 2017 7:26 PM

R237 Goldblum has good plugs and a great personality. I'm watching firstly for Ruffalo, then Goldblum.

Silly vid of the cast playing rock,paper,scissors. Goldblum, Taika and earnest Mark make it fun. Hems and Hiddeston are kinda just blocks of wood.

Anthony Hopkins wasn't even at the LA premiere. Wtf.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 239October 13, 2017 12:44 AM

[quote]Hems and Hiddeston are kinda just blocks of wood.

Ugh, foreigners. What did you expect?

by Anonymousreply 240October 13, 2017 12:57 AM

R240 Taika's a foreigner too.

Hems and Hiddles are just used to being fawned over for being hot. No personality needed. Well, Taika's hot too and he knows it.

by Anonymousreply 241October 13, 2017 1:02 AM

Hiddleston isn't hot, R24. He's a good actor, but borderline ugly.

by Anonymousreply 242October 13, 2017 1:22 AM

I don't find Hiddles hot, but his legions of Loki fangurls disagree with us.

Ruffalo appears shirtless in this movie! My hairy daddy! I mean, the last time Tony Stark went shirtless was... 2010?

by Anonymousreply 243October 13, 2017 1:49 AM

Taika the director was "backstage" with Ruffalo (and on camera briefly) when Hemsworth was on Kimmel. And Ruffalo and Hemsworth always introduce him as "OUR director". Taika knows he's hot, hope he appears in more promo interviews/talk shows.

by Anonymousreply 244October 14, 2017 6:51 PM

Review embargo lifts Thursday, by the way.

[quote]Disney and Marvel seem to be on board with whatever Waititi and Hemsworth came up with the threequel, with distributor and studio showing great confidence in the project. Press junkets are set for next week, almost a month in advance, and the review embargo has been pushed forward to Thursday, October 19, 9 am PST โ€“ two weeks before the film actually hits theaters.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 245October 16, 2017 4:11 PM

Chris Hemsworth's stylist, thank you for putting him in ensembles that show off half his chest for interviews. More of this please.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 246October 16, 2017 8:08 PM

Of course Cate is doing it for the $$$, she's supporting her ugly loser husband and three kids.

by Anonymousreply 247October 16, 2017 9:58 PM

Thor: Ragnarok filmed in Australia, and used a local director (A kiwi, not an Aussie, but still) making his big Hollywood debut. It isn't hard to understand why she was happy to do this role.

by Anonymousreply 248October 16, 2017 10:02 PM

R247 wow Cate's hubby is really fug! I thought you were exaggerating, you weren't! He's definitely uglier than and "ugly wife" of celeb hunks.

by Anonymousreply 249October 17, 2017 3:38 AM

I didn't read past the second warning in the article. Was it really that bad?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 250October 18, 2017 11:38 PM

it's not all that stunning a reveal. It certainly wouldn't ruin the movie.

by Anonymousreply 251October 18, 2017 11:40 PM

The spoiler they are talking about is from the interview posted at r246 actually.

It definitely is a plot point they wanted to be a surprise, but idk, I've said this before but IMO people freak out way too much about spoilers for these movies that are just light-hearted romps anyway. It ain't that serious.

by Anonymousreply 252October 18, 2017 11:40 PM

[quote]Disney and Marvel seem to be on board with whatever Waititi and Hemsworth came up with the threequel

Hemsworth wrote the movie?

by Anonymousreply 253October 18, 2017 11:57 PM

Thor: The Dark Whore was the worst Marvel movie ever. It was a low in the Marvel Cinematic Universe. This has got to be better.

by Anonymousreply 254October 18, 2017 11:58 PM

They are praising Hems for improvising. I hope they promo tour much more in the USA starting next week. It's a chore for them, but Ruffalo, Hems and Taika are hilarious together!!

Hiddles got pushed out of all the promo hype. Maybe he's glad idk.

by Anonymousreply 255October 19, 2017 1:04 AM

Yeah a lot of the dialog for this movie was improvised, Taiki keeps it very loose on set.

by Anonymousreply 256October 19, 2017 2:18 AM

Embargo has been lifted a couple of minutes ago.

by Anonymousreply 257October 19, 2017 4:03 PM

The reviews are coming in thick and fast.

From what I've seen, it's very funny but lacks dramatic punch or emotional impact.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 258October 19, 2017 4:07 PM

[quote]From what I've seen, it's very funny but lacks dramatic punch or emotional impact.

Yeah, that is what I expected.

Getting great reviews with everyone agreeing it is the best Thor movie, but yes, it is just a straight comedy. Not anything deep, but a lot of fun. Some are calling it Marvel's funniest movie

by Anonymousreply 259October 19, 2017 4:36 PM

In terms of that "big spoiler", many reviews are openly saying it.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 260October 19, 2017 4:47 PM

This paragraph in Alonso Duralde's review for The Wrap makes me so excited to see Cate in this movie!

[quote]And if the old โ€œBatmanโ€ gave us campy turns by Milton Berle as Louie the Lilac or Ethel Merman as Lola Lasagna, both Blanchett and Goldblum take full advantage of their Special Guest Villain status to go gloriously over the top. Goldblumโ€™s trademark brand of stammering deadpan fits perfectly into this scenario, while Blanchett walks away with the movie; verbally, she plays like Dame Diana Rigg channeling both Joan Crawford and Eve Arden, and her physical slink (in one of Marvel Comicsโ€™ most wonderfully baroque costumes) calls to mind the sexy evil robot from โ€œMetropolis.โ€

by Anonymousreply 261October 19, 2017 5:24 PM

With the first 30 reviews it hasn't gotten a negative review yet, sittin at 100.

by Anonymousreply 262October 19, 2017 5:36 PM

Yeah, although the average score (my preferred metric) keeps dropping. It'll probably settle somewhere from 7 to 7.5. It's hard for a comic book movie to get any more than that, anyway.

by Anonymousreply 263October 19, 2017 5:42 PM

It's currently pegged for $90-100 million opening.

by Anonymousreply 264October 19, 2017 6:19 PM

There is a RT consensus

[quote]Critics Consensus: Exciting, funny, and above all fun, Thor: Ragnarok is a colorful cosmic adventure that sets a new standard for its franchise -- and the rest of the Marvel Cinematic Universe.

by Anonymousreply 265October 19, 2017 9:07 PM

Someone on reddit who saw it early said Bruce has an emotional moment because he's Bruce/Hulk. Will set him up for Avengers 3 and 4 I believe.

My hon Ruffalo!

by Anonymousreply 266October 19, 2017 11:00 PM

Spoiler-free video review by Christy Lemire, Alonso Duralde and Matt Atchity. (There's a vague hint about an Infinity stone that could be interpreted in different ways.)

They loved it and I'm so excited to watch it now!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 267October 19, 2017 11:13 PM

Do Marvel movies typically do more press tours in the 1-2 weeks before the release?

Or was the Sydney press tour it?

by Anonymousreply 268October 19, 2017 11:32 PM

[quote]Thor: The Dark Whore

Come on, that's not accurate. As a kid, I always dreamed of Thor as my FAIR whore.

But as a title, assuming Blanchett would return, that works for the next movie.

by Anonymousreply 269October 20, 2017 2:50 AM

R256 Taika directing (and being interviewed with) RDJ would be so much fun. Sadly, RDJ's last marvel film is probably Avengers 4, being shot now.

Unless RDJ can cameo in some future marvel movie... Like Ant-Man 3 with Taika directing?

by Anonymousreply 270October 20, 2017 8:11 PM

I'm just flashing back to the comic book cover from the late 70s or so with the word "RAGNAROK" splashed across the cover. What a great deal for "still only 25ยข"

And with the comic I would get a Slurpee and then ride my bike home.

by Anonymousreply 271October 20, 2017 9:13 PM

Cate and Chris cover Vogue Australia

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 272October 24, 2017 1:27 PM

Do we think Cate grabbed Chris' hammer when they were in her trailer between set ups?

by Anonymousreply 273October 25, 2017 12:22 AM

R273 considering Cate's taste from her husband.. No.

by Anonymousreply 274October 25, 2017 1:44 AM

Lands as the 4th highest rated Marvel movie on metacritics

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 275October 25, 2017 3:00 PM

Thor:Ragnarok to feature two lgbt characters Valkyrie who is bisexual and Korg who is gay.

by Anonymousreply 276October 26, 2017 3:19 AM

Are they presented as such in the movie though r276?

by Anonymousreply 277October 26, 2017 3:23 AM

Valkyrie is r277 but we don't about if Korg will be though it's assumed he might be.

by Anonymousreply 278October 26, 2017 3:32 AM

That was kinda a rhetorical question r278. Vakyrie is never depicted as bi in the movie. Yes the comic character is, but that is a different thing

by Anonymousreply 279October 26, 2017 3:38 AM

Tessa Thompson was forced to clarify her comment that while in her mind she was playing the character as bi, that is never acknowledged in the film.

[quote]YES! Val is Bi in the comics & I was faithful to that in her depiction. But her sexuality isnโ€™t explicitly addressed in Thor: Ragnarok.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 280October 26, 2017 2:30 PM

In what way was she faithful to that depiction? People said they were actively watching her interactions with women and there was nothing there.

Can there even be a thing called "playing bisexual" if there are no love/flirting scenes involved?

by Anonymousreply 281October 26, 2017 2:34 PM

[quote]Can there even be a thing called "playing bisexual" if there are no love/flirting scenes involved?

Yeah, it is a cop out to say you are 'playing it that way in your head' when there is nothing in the film that indicates that.

Joss Whedon called the movie a masterpiece, though not surprised he loves Taiki's sensibility.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 282October 27, 2017 5:31 PM

The nerve of Joss, after he sidelined Bruce Banner's character! Lol

by Anonymousreply 283October 27, 2017 9:55 PM

In this short Ragnarok promo interview, Mark outed his 12yo daughter as gay. 1:50 mark.

He is so sweet and earnest and dumb!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 284October 27, 2017 11:12 PM

Spoiler alert! R282 when we discover why she is an alcoholic, we see a flashback with another Walkyrie dying to protect her, there is nothing implying that she might be more than just a "friend", but she doesn't get much back story. But in general it was very entertaining, good music, a bit like in Guardians of Galaxy, I loved Hulk being somewhat articulate, and having a social life, I loved Anthony Hopkins playing Loki pretending to be Odin, and Hiddelston almost makes me forget his stunt from last summer (but not quite). I think the general public will love it.

by Anonymousreply 285October 28, 2017 3:56 PM

Just saw a cam version with some parts dubbed in Spanish. Jealous?

It's an entertaining movie but it really has no weight to it. Did no one on set bother to correct Chris Hemsworth when he said "reoccurring dream" instead of "recurring dream" or was that a setup for a later gag that I missed during the Spanish speaking parts? Or was it Waititi's tribute to Joni Mitchell?

I don't think the Mexicans I watched this movie with much liked Cate Blanchett but she was my favourite part of the movie. Hands down best face acting in the biz.

I know Anthony Hopkins hated this gig but I'll really miss him going forward. Also, a missed opportunity for a Rene Russo cameo. But she's reportedly a religious nut these days so perhaps it's for the best.

by Anonymousreply 286October 29, 2017 1:45 PM

Thanks to r286 I see that Ragnarok is now on 123. Cam version is too low quality for this flick. I'll be a sheeple and see it in theaters Friday to see Ruffalo's handsome face... And contribute to the domestic opening weekend.

Hemsworth is lucky. A small % will pay to see Goldblum. Another % will watch for Blanchett. Another % will pay to see Ruffalo. And also neckbeard bois need something to tide them till Infinity War.

by Anonymousreply 287October 29, 2017 3:33 PM

[quote]Hemsworth is lucky.

You can tell he is ecstatic to finally have a movie people are excited about.

The Captain America movies became huge with Winter Soldier and Civil War and his Thor series was the red-headed stepchild.

by Anonymousreply 288October 29, 2017 3:37 PM

Plus, it's his finally his turn to be Hollywood's reigning Chris for a few months.

by Anonymousreply 289October 29, 2017 3:38 PM

Yeah, a few months is right, since Pine and ageing Pratt had their moment in the sun earlier this year. Poor Hiddles' fans. He was practically non-existent in promoting this film and his fangirls are clutching their pearls.

by Anonymousreply 290October 29, 2017 3:42 PM

Yeah, Hiddleston's turn as Loki has become stale. They have absolutely no idea what to do with him anymore. But he's a total pro - the way he delivers that "I've been falling for thirty minutes" line shows he's still giving it his all, regardless of the writing. Look to Anthony Hopkins if you want to see someone just cashing in their paycheck.

And I forgot to mention my biggest gripe with this movie and that's greenscreen in that infamous hammer-crushing scene. You have the whole of Norway to choose from and you decide on a CG meadow that looks like it could be set in Ireland?! Literally a cliff with grass and a little rock to sit on. What a slap in the face to the culture that gave birth to the Norse mythology. These movies make so much money and yet they can't afford to fly these people to Norway for one day? Lazy.

by Anonymousreply 291October 29, 2017 3:55 PM

R286 thanks for going light on the spoilers. How was many minutes was Bruce shirtless? How were Bruce's moments- childlike, emotional, confused, sad??

by Anonymousreply 292October 29, 2017 4:06 PM

Is Grandmaster flirting with Loki at 0:00-0:15?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 293October 29, 2017 4:37 PM

R292 His shirtlessness was shot very strategically, I'll just say that. I never paid much attention to Ruffalo in these Marvel movies before, but I'm coming around on that. He's goofy, adorable and cute!

by Anonymousreply 294October 30, 2017 3:19 PM

[quote]And I forgot to mention my biggest gripe with this movie and that's greenscreen in that infamous hammer-crushing scene. You have the whole of Norway to choose from and you decide on a CG meadow

Assuming that is true, it is very disappointing. There's a reason expensive location shoots work, see LOTR movies, and even something like "Mamma Mia" (when other elements were lacking, those locations in Greece were gorgeous and real).

by Anonymousreply 295October 30, 2017 3:41 PM

R295 You know, I'm aware Norway is [italic]very[/italic] expensive and it's not just the actors you have to fly there, but still. I'd even be fine with an Icelandic location, posing as Norway. It really is some of the worst greenscreen I've ever seen, especially when you look at how they tried to fill the spots in Blanchett's hair. That Waititi can't do epic, painting-like shots, only compounds the problem of that scene.

Anyway, that annoyed me a lot but when all is said and done, it's still only a technical gripe and one that certainly doesn't tank the movie for me. Other (brilliant) aspects outweigh this issue for sure.

by Anonymousreply 296October 30, 2017 3:58 PM

Thor started off with a great opening weekend abroad, though it hasn't opened in America yet

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 297October 30, 2017 6:33 PM

Thanks for teasing about Ruffalo shirtless, hunnie r294! Now I'm excited for Friday. Bet they only showed his upper chest mostly, to hide any soft belly if there's one. Not easy being 48yo when it was filmed. Bruce looks great now... Facial rejuvenations perhaps?

Did you fellow fans see the NYT article on Taika? Interesing read. VFX can create shots that were not filmed, because all set surfaces are scanned. What even is really Mark's body?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 298October 30, 2017 10:10 PM

Ruffalo explains his live-streaming blunder.

[quote]Bet they only showed his upper chest mostly, to hide any soft belly if there's one.

Ha! You're exactly right!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 299November 1, 2017 12:52 PM

Op, did she have his consent to touch his junk.

Just asking for a friend.

by Anonymousreply 300November 1, 2017 12:59 PM

All is revealed.

[quote]Thompson even summoned the courage to pitch Waititi on making Valkyrie bisexual, based on her comic book relationship with anthropologist Annabelle Riggs. "There's this great illustration of them in a kiss," swoons Thompson, and while Valkyrie has yet to meet Annabelle in her Hollywood timeline โ€“ and who knows if she'll get to โ€“ she convinced Waititi to shoot a glimpse of a woman walking out of Valkyrie's bedroom. He kept it in the film as long as he could; eventually the bit had to be cut because it distracted from the scene's vital exposition.

[quote]"There were things that we talked about that we allowed to exist in the characterization, but maybe not be explicit in the film," admits Thompson. Pay attention to her agony in a flashback where Blanchett's Goddess of Death murders the rest of Valkyrie's warrior clan. "There's a great shot of me falling back from one of my sisters who's just been slain," says Thompson. "In my mind, that was my lover."

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 301November 1, 2017 6:22 PM

Waititi breaks down a scene in the movie. Effortlessly funny and charming, isn't he?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 302November 3, 2017 4:33 PM

Disney has barred the Los Angeles Times' reporters and critics from seeing its movies in advance over their recent two-part story detailing Disneyland's business ties with the city of Anaheim.

Brace yourselves because this is a glimpse of the future right there.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 303November 3, 2017 4:40 PM

Ruffalo played Banner a bit like his role as Ned Weeks in The Normal Heart.

For how little promo Hiddles did, he had as much screentime as Ruffalo.

Seeing how Idris Elba did no promo, he had quite a lot of screentime doing his own thing.

Hidden gem was Karl Urban's acting as Skurge.

by Anonymousreply 304November 4, 2017 12:05 AM

I haven't seen the movie yet, but am sad to hear Hopkins is done playing the All-Father Odin.

Thor was always great, in comics and the films, as "Prince of Asgard," with a stern, but fair and wise father who would step in only when necessary to rein in the son (while reigning)

by Anonymousreply 305November 4, 2017 5:49 PM

The movie was a comedy. The original Thor had a few laughs but this one was almost slapstick. It was just OK.

by Anonymousreply 306November 5, 2017 4:45 PM

Ragnarok opens to 121 mil in the US, far outstripping the Dark World's opening weekend. It also had an A cinema score, the highest audience rating of the Thor movies.

Taiki explodes into the American entertainment industry, curious what he is going to do next.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 307November 5, 2017 5:08 PM

Thor 4 presumably.

by Anonymousreply 308November 5, 2017 5:09 PM

Another dumb Marvel film. One that was too fun for its own good.How the overrated Cate Blanchett ended up in this comic book shitfest is so sad.

by Anonymousreply 309November 5, 2017 5:12 PM

[quote]Then there were Thor Ragnarok's glowing reviews and an A CinemaScore. (It is the 13th consecutive MCU title to receive some variation of an A grade.)

Say what you want about Marvel, but their track record is insane. Good critics reviews and audience reviews.

by Anonymousreply 310November 5, 2017 5:15 PM

I doubt there'll be a Thor 4. If only this was just the 2nd Thor in the franchise, is what studioheads are probably thinking.

Happy it did well on behalf of Taika and Mark Ruffalo. Meh, I don't care about hemsworth.

Would be fun to see Taika direct RDJ since they both seem fun and improvisational. Probably won't happen in MCU since Tony Stark is leaving after Avengers 4.

by Anonymousreply 311November 5, 2017 7:19 PM

Thor looks sexier with the shorter hair.

by Anonymousreply 312November 5, 2017 7:25 PM

Chris Hemsworth is the one that wanted to cut Thor's hair. He definitely thinks he looks better with short hair.

by Anonymousreply 313November 5, 2017 7:27 PM

[quote]I doubt there'll be a Thor 4. If only this was just the 2nd Thor in the franchise, is what studioheads are probably thinking.

I'd say odds are good actually. The character's story doesn't feel completed, and Chris Hemsworth isn't RDJ-expensive plus his career has not been going well outside of Marvel.

by Anonymousreply 314November 5, 2017 7:32 PM

It is really good fun. But I'll watch anything with Hiddleston in it. As usual he does a great job as Loki.

by Anonymousreply 315November 5, 2017 7:32 PM

[quote] The movie was a comedy. The original Thor had a few laughs but this one was almost slapstick.

Yeah. Thor fell down the stairs I felt it tipped too far over into zany territory but I felt the ton evened out in the 3rd act.

by Anonymousreply 316November 5, 2017 8:05 PM

R314 yeah, I bet hemsworth "12 Strong" movie about 9/11 soldiers fighting will flop. It's angsty and overdone. Comes out January.

If he gets a 4th, fanbois will demand a 4th spidey (who's ageing out of teens look rapidly), 4th Cap America (who's so bored with the role), 4th Ant man (who knows how long Rudd can stay forever-young), etc

by Anonymousreply 317November 5, 2017 8:35 PM

Taika Waititi is already saying he wants do another one. Hard to see Marvel not letting him.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 318November 5, 2017 8:41 PM

Just saw this. Loved it! There's even a gratuitous shirtless scene and a Hulk ass shot. Cate Blanchett was good and even Stan Lee's cameo was cute. Totally not expecting the plot.

by Anonymousreply 319November 5, 2017 8:54 PM

It is a very fun movie, but I must admit that I'm surprised they didn't give Blanchett more to do. IMO it was another typical problem with Marvel movies where the antagonist doesn't get sufficient screentime.

[quote]and a Hulk ass shot.

Yes, the Hulk butt shot completely took me off guard, we laughed.

Taika's own character (the rock guy) was my favorite though.

by Anonymousreply 320November 6, 2017 2:02 AM

The comedy was a bit much. It was joke after joke after joke, even denser than the GotG movies.

by Anonymousreply 321November 6, 2017 2:06 AM

Yes, it definitely went for the comedic vibe but I thought it was executed well. At the beginning I thought some of the jokes were a little shaky but once it got going I was along for the ride.

The movie was unapologetically zany and IMO it worked. A very confident turn by Taika to completely reset what the Thor franchise is.

by Anonymousreply 322November 6, 2017 2:32 AM

[quote]And I forgot to mention my biggest gripe with this movie and that's greenscreen in that infamous hammer-crushing scene. You have the whole of Norway to choose from and you decide on a CG meadow that looks like it could be set in Ireland?!

Agree with you that was sadly weak (in what was normally a visually gorgeous movie), but it was a very last minute scene change. You might have noticed in the previews the location where Blanchett breaks the hammer was different.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 323November 6, 2017 2:38 AM

R323 I know, I read an article where Waititi said he realized the intimate scene worked better in a meadow than in a noisy street in NYC, and I posted the first trailer which featured the changed scene at R218. Still, a missed opportunity to feature some epic Norway shots.

by Anonymousreply 324November 7, 2017 1:38 PM

The critics' response to Disney mafia tactics intensifies.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 325November 7, 2017 1:40 PM

I hope my spoiling Odin's departure at R286 hasn't enraged anyone but the writing was on the wall. And besides, would you really prefer him getting brutally murdered by a CG Josh Brolin in Infinity War over his graceful and poignant exit here?

I loved seeing Fenrir's fang penetrate Hulk's skin. It's the only thing that made that damn wolf somewhat scary. Have we seen Hulk bleed before in these Marvel movies?

And I have to say, Steven Strange's awful cleaning gloves are [italic]not[/italic] working for me. This goofy element of his attire should be left in the comics.

by Anonymousreply 326November 7, 2017 1:49 PM

[quote]And I have to say, Steven Strange's awful cleaning gloves are not working for me. This goofy element of his attire should be left in the comics.

The gloves were not in the Dr. Strange movie, it was Taika that decided to add them in. Don't know if he will have them in Infinity War or not.

Gloves aside, I loved the depiction of Dr. Strange in this movie. It felt so mysterious and powerful and how the character is meant to be more than his own movie did (yes, it was an origin story, I know).

[quote]And besides, would you really prefer him getting brutally murdered by a CG Josh Brolin in Infinity War over his graceful and poignant exit here?

I found his death pretty lame actually. Hopkins seemed to phone in that scene and it just didn't work for me.

by Anonymousreply 327November 7, 2017 1:52 PM

Oh, yeah, Hopkins was so done with these movies in Thor 2 already, where he basically sleepwalked through the whole thing. His death was lame for sure and by his "exit", I was referring more to his final appearance in Thor's vision at the very end. The only emotional scene in the movie for me. It shows that gentleness and strength can go hand in hand and that Thor has a long way to go when it comes to wisdom.

by Anonymousreply 328November 7, 2017 2:04 PM

Oh, and I too loved everything about Dr Strange apart from the gloves. It's scary but also exciting that he's so much more powerful than Asgardian sorcerers. I want a rematch between him and Loki, though. Loki seems so cocky for someone who basically just does illusion work.

by Anonymousreply 329November 7, 2017 2:08 PM

We'll have to wait for the Black Panther to see if it has some more weight to it but in general, I agree with this article. At some point, being a "fun movie" just isn't going to cut it anymore.

And Justice League looks like it'll be another "fun" movie as well.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 330November 7, 2017 2:26 PM

That is a multipage article I'm not going to read through right now at least, but while it is true that the Marvel brand is fun entertainment there were some movies (notably the Russo movies Winter Solider and Civil War) that I thought tried to be more serious than most of the Marvel brand. Those are the two people who are the Infinity War movies, so I would expect those movies to be along those lines.

But I don't think Marvel is going to suddenly change course into a product they are not. I mean DC tried to go dark and got widely panned for it and have since course corrected to be more like Marvel.

by Anonymousreply 331November 7, 2017 2:45 PM

Disney blinks and backs down. So much bad publicity and for what? They punished LA Times out of sheer spite.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 332November 7, 2017 9:31 PM

I didn't catch Fenrir piercing Hulk's skin and I wonder if that'll have an effect on Brucie/Hulk in Infinity War. Poor Bruce already has PTSD from waking on an alien planet!

by Anonymousreply 333November 7, 2017 10:23 PM

I suspect the Russo's Infinity War movies will be weightier. They really did a great job combining action-drama with some comedic relief during Civil War.

by Anonymousreply 334November 7, 2017 10:38 PM

They ruined and butchererd hela and surtur. Fuvk you marvel.

by Anonymousreply 335November 7, 2017 10:42 PM

People calling out that Blanchett felt wasted

[quote]Marvel has a villain problem. Thor: Ragnarok is a textbook example

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 336November 8, 2017 3:12 PM

The comedy in this film was so bad. Like bad sitcom level quality. Not even Jeff Goldblum could make me laugh. They really need to reel back the comedy. GOTG 2 wasn't that funny either.

by Anonymousreply 337November 8, 2017 4:02 PM

Bendis left the sinking ship called Marvel. How sad. The Marvel films were getting stupider and now with his non involvement they are going to hell.

by Anonymousreply 338November 8, 2017 4:05 PM

[quote]now with his non involvement they are going to hell.

Recent marvel movies like Thor: Ragnarok, Spiderman: Homecoming and Captain America: Civil War actually sit among their most critically adored movies.

It is their older output that was considered weaker like Iron Man 2 and Thor: The Dark World,

by Anonymousreply 339November 8, 2017 4:10 PM

FOOM

by Anonymousreply 340November 8, 2017 11:23 PM

Bendis left Marvel because they had wrung all the creative juices out of him, not because it's a sinking ship. Anyway, here's an article about Waititi doing FOUR characters in the movie. I wasn't aware Korg was a fan-favourite? You know, Waititi is very charming, but Korg could easily be left out and the voice was all wrong. The voice was wrong for Surtur (Clancy Brown) as well.

He doesn't have the best instincts when it comes to CG characters, in my opinion.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 341November 9, 2017 12:44 PM

[quote] I wasn't aware Korg was a fan-favourite?

Korg was hilarious, he was getting the most laughs in my theater.

by Anonymousreply 342November 9, 2017 12:57 PM

Really? The Mexicans in that cam version I watched didn't laugh all that much at his bits so I guess the humour didn't translate well.

I'll re-judge him when I see the movie the proper way. I still can't [italic]not[/italic] see him as a budget Groot, though.

by Anonymousreply 343November 9, 2017 1:04 PM

Murder on the Orient Express opened this week, and Justice League opens next week. That's some competition for Thor.

I hope for Taika's and Ruffalo's sake Ragnarok continues to make good $$, so Ragnarok can prove to mcu moneyheads and audiences that they can somewhat hold a candle to Iron Man, Captain America franchises, even GotG and stupid spiderman.

On the other hand, what do I care? I have no investment in Ragnarok (except Ruffalo's mainstream fame, which he deserves more of!)

by Anonymousreply 344November 11, 2017 8:55 AM

IGN video where he's replying to mean comments, Collider appearance... Waititi is [italic]extremely[/italic] busy promoting this on the circuit. I can't remember the last Marvel director who was so engaged in the promo push. And who could blame him? Every single additional million this movie brings in enhances his negotiating position going forward.

by Anonymousreply 345November 11, 2017 1:42 PM

Was. I think promoting Ragnarok is done, since it's already out worldwide.

Also, Taika knows he's charismatic on screen and gurl's angular face looks good, so why not promo more? It's also his first taste of Hollywood fame so it's delicious. Unlike hemsworth or hiddles who look bored in most of their promos.

by Anonymousreply 346November 11, 2017 1:52 PM

What's funny is that every subscriber/loyal viewer of IGN/Collider/the like yt channels WILL buy at least 1 ticket to Ragnarok. And justice league. And every superhero movie.

So it's literally promoting to the choir to come to church.

by Anonymousreply 347November 11, 2017 1:57 PM

R346 Yes, that's exactly my point. He's doing his best to leave the best possible impression for his big break here.

R347 Yeah, I found that curious as well. Justice League influence?

by Anonymousreply 348November 11, 2017 2:00 PM

Honest trailers : Thor Ragnarok

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 349March 29, 2018 8:25 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!