Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Whiners and Beggars and Scammers, oh my!

These are some "friends" I unfriended on Facebook today:

The loser couple who are once again begging for donations to pay their rent,

The "indie" musician who's galavanting into town without a booking, who expects me to find him a gig!

The slut who thinks it's Grindr and won't stop posting shirtless selfies.

Yours?

by Anonymousreply 76January 19, 2020 4:13 PM

The begging couple aren't even offering gifts for donations! And since they sent a message to 300 people, I get a message note whenever someone leaves the group. I don't want to leave the group, because it shows "I don't care about you," but I will.

People who put others in such awkward social situations are pathetic.

by Anonymousreply 1March 23, 2017 5:22 PM

Trash adjacent is trash, dear...

by Anonymousreply 2March 23, 2017 5:49 PM

Smug is smug, dear, R2. Tell us all about your Top Drawer pals, Bunny!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 3March 23, 2017 5:52 PM

Pyramid schemers and self promoters. Than there are the poor little rich boys and girls who can find things to bitch about on a beach vacation. I'd rather look at a thousand baby pictures.

by Anonymousreply 4March 23, 2017 5:56 PM

Wow, didn't realize it but my friends are far better than yours

by Anonymousreply 5March 23, 2017 6:15 PM

I have 95 friends, have met all of them and are longtime friends with most. This is how Facebook is useful to me.

by Anonymousreply 6March 23, 2017 6:17 PM

R5, but you're still fat and ugly.

by Anonymousreply 7March 23, 2017 6:23 PM

r6 But could you call in a crisis and ask to spend a week with them?

by Anonymousreply 8March 23, 2017 6:33 PM

Hey OP, is this before, after or concurrent with: Dildos and Butt Plugs and Fleshlights, oh my!; I've been offered a position in Gwinnett, Georgia. I know nothing about Gwinnett or Georgia; Rent in NYC - Need some info from DL; Are you in an open relationship?; Puppy Broken Shoulder; How do young folks deal with premature aging?; Dreams about ex-boyfriends; I want to leave my b/f but if I do I really have nowhere to go; Grumpy boyfriend; So how do I improve my life?; Sleep walking; I don't understand why many elder gays find themselves lonely in later life; What's the best way to get over a breakup?; A lady at work told us that she won $100,000 on a scratch ticket; What kind of relationship disgusts you the most?; My BF is a jock; DLer Writes In To New York Times Social Qs; I'm tired of bothering to care; Does anyone have a bidet; Help me think of a work excuse!;

by Anonymousreply 9March 23, 2017 6:52 PM

You should reflect on why you choose to surround yourself with such horrid people in the first place. You attract the people whom you deserve.

by Anonymousreply 10March 23, 2017 7:11 PM

Thanks r9, now I can block OP and his/her/them threads.

by Anonymousreply 11March 23, 2017 7:24 PM

r9 OMG, you actually keep a record of the threads people start. I don't know whether to congratulate you on your attention to detail or tell you to get some therapy.

by Anonymousreply 12March 23, 2017 7:25 PM

R12, DL keeps the record. R9 simply accessed it.

by Anonymousreply 13March 23, 2017 7:38 PM

R9 is just latest example of the inability of the troll hunters to avoid 'going native'

by Anonymousreply 14March 23, 2017 7:47 PM

I'm getting tired of the people on Youtube setting up Patreon accounts and begging. I like to watch reaction videos for various TV shows. These started out being fun - you point a camera at yourself in your home while you watch Game of Thrones or the Walking Dead, etc. You did it because you like the attention, I guess. Now these same people who did this for free are starting to ask for "patrons" to help them under the guise that your money will make their reactions better somehow.

I saw this vid of this couple whose thing is to watch Korean music videos and react to them. Both of them had to be about 300lb, asking for their viewers/fans to help send them to Korea so they can get see the country for real. I wanted to punch them in their fat faces - no one needs to see you in Korea - just keep reacting to the videos in your dumb house. Then, the next set of idiots starts their own Patreon, subtly suggesting that "if you enjoy my videos, I can do a better job with your help". I hate them all /rant over/

by Anonymousreply 15July 29, 2017 7:04 PM

OMG, there's nothing more fucking narcissistic than thinking someone gives a fuck how you "react" to a tv show, it's not like watching how people react to losing oscars, why should I care how you feel about the winner of DWTS? I always wondered who actually watched these vids, now I do. I can't believe people have to nuts to ask for money to watch them react more...Jesus, this is why there are now "youtube stars".

by Anonymousreply 16July 29, 2017 7:12 PM

Can I get the name of the guy with the shirtless pics?

by Anonymousreply 17July 29, 2017 7:19 PM

Speaking of begging. There was a lady waiting at a bus stop that was near the bank I was going into. From a distance she just looked like a normal elderly woman. She called out to me and asked if she could ask me a question. I said sure and I was about 10 feet from her. She said something about waiting of the bus and needing...I thought she wanted directions, I moved closer as she was asking, can you hear me. I heard something like .50 cents, all day pass.

I walked closer and it turns out she wanted to get an all day pass for a bus and was short money. I then saw that she didn't look that normal. Clothes were old, but she was making effort to look clean, and wore this really read lipstick that threw off everything. She said she needed $6.50 for the bus ticket. I gave her a $1 and she looked at it and said I need $6. I almost grabbed it back but I didn't want to get that close in case she was a crazy lady. I just told her a dollar is what I can give and went into the bank.

by Anonymousreply 18July 29, 2017 10:53 PM

I hate the beggers on tumblr. You're a member of a group that likes, say, bowling, and people then start communicating and before you know it, they're calling it a family. Soon, you see these posts saying things like "my boss cheated me out of a weeks pay and now my rent is due. I hate to ask, but I'm need help". The more devious beggars use an animal as a lure, because they know the animal lovers are a soft touch.

The winner of the begging lottery was one I saw on tumblr a few weeks ago - they used a lost job, the husband left, a child with disability, no money for food for child, self and pet, has their own disability AND mental illness. The part that made me crazy was this beggar also pointed people to their Amazon wish list, where they listed various items they'd like to get as they wanted to try a keto diet to see if it helped their epilepsy. When I checked the wish list, I saw things like 10lb bags of sugar substitute, 5lb bags of walnuts and an industrial muffin tin. What nerve!

by Anonymousreply 19July 29, 2017 11:20 PM

Oh, the things I miss by not being on social media.

by Anonymousreply 20July 29, 2017 11:27 PM

Saw another tumblr beggar today - this one needs $200 to help pay to get her mothers car fixed. She offered to write a story, read your tarot or sell off some of her cosplay items.

Another site has cropped up to help people get money from others - it's called KOFI (pronounced coffee). So now you may read someone say "please buy me a coffee" which translate to "I'm looking for a handout and this is an easier way to ask - buy me a coffee sounds so innoucuous".

I was on Youtube, checking out some Game of Thrones review/reaction vids. There's one where a camera is set up in a bar and you can see the patrons as they watch the show. Annoyingly, the dude who posts the videos now starts them with him giving out his Patreon info so we can "help him" continue putting up these videos. I hope someone rats him out to HBO for copyright infringement instead.

by Anonymousreply 21August 1, 2017 5:20 PM

Facebook and I don't really get along. I limit my circle to people whom I've known for over 20 years, and who live on different parts of the planet so I can mess with FB's algorithms.

I'm on two Mastodon instances. Mastodon is a decentralized, federated network of platforms. It outright bans hate speech and fascist trolls. I've read it's like Twitter in its early days, but I think Mastodon is better for its 500-character limits and the ease of meeting new people who share interests, and for not having corporations harvesting communications and demographic data.

by Anonymousreply 22August 1, 2017 5:28 PM

I have a cousin who has begged for things on Facebook a few times before. This cousin says she can't work due to MS and arthritis. Her husband works construction and doesn't make much money. Last summer, she was posting nasty things about people who get welfare and food stamps on Facebook. Then a few months later, her drug addict son overdosed and was in the hospital for several days. She went on Facebook and said that her son needed new clothes, toiletries, and other things to start over. I felt bad for her because of what she was going through with her son.

But, the nasty things she had previously posted about other people pissed me off. Some people responded to her posts and a friend of hers offered to buy things and another offered up old clothes from her son. She did thank people who gave her son things. Then sometime after she went back to posting hateful things about people on food stamps and welfare. A few weeks back another relative of mine said my cousin's son got into some legal trouble and then she was calling up some relatives asking for money. He said he told her no, but he thinks a couple of other relatives may given them money.

A couple of years ago, a high school classmate of mine posted a donation link for an adoption fund. She and her husband needed money for adoption agency fees. They were able to raise the money. So far, an adoption hasn't happened for them. There was some drama on Facebook when someone told them to adopt from foster care. I saw some of the arguments, but posts got deleted quickly.

by Anonymousreply 23August 1, 2017 5:49 PM

On Facebook my relatives begged for funeral and burial expenses for my brother. They didn't consult his widow nor me (his last surviving immediate blood relative other than his four-year-old son) before doing so. They didn't even send me commiserations or sympathies.

by Anonymousreply 24August 1, 2017 5:52 PM

That same ex-roommate of mine who mooched off of me and wouldn't let me listen to Helen Reddy in the car or watch [italic]The Boys in the Band[/italic] on Blu-ray, and wouldn't eat fish because it reminded him of his ex-wife's cooch but will still eat ice cream, is now my ex-friend for promoting transcult propaganda on Facebook and projecting his own bigotry onto me.

by Anonymousreply 25August 1, 2017 5:54 PM

My loser nephew told me he never responded to my message a while back because "he never checks facebook" even though facebook chat tells me he is on it more than anyone else I know. Does he not realize they tell me?

by Anonymousreply 26August 1, 2017 6:29 PM

Even slow people know how to scam these days. Howard Stern has a caller they call "Wendy, the slow adult". They had her IQ tested and she got around 60, but that doesn't slow her begging down. Wendy lives in Florida with her mom and gets Social Security. However, she calls in to Howard and tells these sad stories about how her family is broke and has no food and she has to dig in dumpsters for food and then ask Howard for money. Someone in Howard's office spoke to Wendy's mother and was told none of this is true.

Howard then found out that Wendy has a side hustle - she goes to local malls and stands outside and panhandles with stories of hungry children at home. Wendy has no kids, and no teeth. She is 300+ pounds and spends all the money she gets at the food court and buying Mountain Dew and scratch-off lottery tickets. Who knows how Wendy got the idea to lie so skillfully to get money.

by Anonymousreply 27August 2, 2017 8:53 PM

[quote]I'm getting tired of the people on Youtube setting up Patreon accounts and begging. I like to watch reaction videos for various TV shows. These started out being fun - you point a camera at yourself in your home while you watch Game of Thrones or the Walking Dead, etc. You did it because you like the attention, I guess. Now these same people who did this for free are starting to ask for "patrons" to help them under the guise that your money will make their reactions better somehow.

THIS. Patreon is killing YouTube. I follow a couple of dozen channels - some for reaction videos - and ALL of those uploaders have a Patreon account now, claiming that if they don't get money from you, they somehow just won't be able to keep making videos. Never mind the fact that just a few weeks or months ago, they were only too happy to make them for free, as a hobby. Now it's life or death if they don't have your 'support'. Right.

And don't forget that if these people are getting enough views (and some of the reactors have anywhere from tens of thousands to a couple million views for a single video) they can also get money from ads, so their channels already have an income stream. I have a YouTube account to which I've uploaded a number of things which have gotten enough views that I could opt in to getting advertising revenue if I wanted - but I don't, because the copyrights aren't mine and this is just a little hobby of mine, I don't do it for any kind of financial gain. Too many people seem to be trying to make a living off of videos where they film themselves watching TV, or reading scary stories from Reddit, or trying on makeup. If there were all sorts of complex editing or a more professional sheen to some of these videos, I could maybe see it - but a channel where people prop an iPhone on the coffee table and watch Game of Thrones needs donations for what? The non-stop begathon is becoming a huge drag, like a never-ending pledge week on PBS.

by Anonymousreply 28August 22, 2017 7:10 AM

The odd thing is the people how ask for donations.....and then two months later they post photos of their trip to Paris. Luckily I never give a dime to crowd sourcing stuff. (and shouldn't the IRS look into that whole crowd sourcing issue.)

by Anonymousreply 29August 22, 2017 10:26 AM

I've found that some people like to be surrounded by losers. Because they halfway have their shit together, it makes them look good when everyone else around them is a mess. Then there are those who LOVE drama. (You know who you are.) I keep my FB friends limited to my family, close friends, and those leading interesting lives that I've met since FB started, but perhaps not close. I enjoy opening up FB and seeing the posts as a way to keep in touch. I've blocked a few friends when they start posting annoying crap.

by Anonymousreply 30August 22, 2017 10:39 AM

So disappointed to see that one of my favorite Youtube channels is starting on the begging train. This couple does reaction vids and they've been cool and down to earth. About a week ago, they put an intro on their vid asking that their viewers send them GOT shirts to wear during filming. On top of that, they advise that vids may be delayed because editing on their ancient laptop takes forever and if any viewer want to "bless" them with a new, fast laptop, they'd be thrilled! So it's on "US" if we want to see their dumb reaction quicker. I CAN WAIT.

by Anonymousreply 31August 22, 2017 12:38 PM

R31, Sierra Dee TV! I feel like telling them that it's way overboard to ask people to donate to their Patreon AND buy them T-shirts - those t-shirts aren't cheap, either. If they really need donations for a new laptop that badly, wouldn't everything be better served by giving to their Patreon and skipping the t-shirts? I feel like if you're going to ask people for money, you owe them an accounting of what you're doing with that money, and not just make a nebulous statement of thanks for all the cash. Thus far, I haven't seen anybody who's asking for Patreon donations on YouTube give anything of the sort.

It's also becoming a trend to only make available the reactions for particular scenes to Patreon donors only. YouTube has always had the egalitarian bent of 'free to upload, free to watch', and this is just opening the door wider for it to become a full-on pay service. Ugh.

by Anonymousreply 32August 22, 2017 1:42 PM

There's this guy Mark who has a site where he reads books (Harry Potter, Fifty Shades of Gray, etc.) and watches videos (various TV shows and animes). I think he's a professor and he travels a lot to various conventions and holds panels. I got into him about 3-4 years ago when I first discovered reaction videos and he was watching my favorite show, so I checked him out. He charges .99 per video and has a pretty sizable following. Plus you can submit commissions for him to watch "your" favorite show... at $20 a pop.

Anyway, I got disgusted with him when he set up a Patreon on top of charging for videos. With no shame, he had the nerve to list how much he needs per month for his necessities (rent, etc.) PLUS to pay an assistant to help him handle his emails, etc. An assistant - I think he has an inflated idea of his appeal.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 33August 22, 2017 2:27 PM

I think a lot of Youtubers are jealous of the success of groups like The Normies and Blind Wave. They see them with Patreon accounts and also get boxes and boxes full of gifts sent from all over the world and think "what about me" and "if they can do it, so can I". So then they start dropping hints and outright asking fans to support them.

I hate to say that after watching the Normies do one of their unboxings, I thought 'what can I send them?'. Then I came to my senses and realized if I send them something, it's for my own ego, and I talked myself out of that crap. I like them and appreciate their skits and vids but refuse to get sucked into this grifting phenomenon.

by Anonymousreply 34August 22, 2017 2:40 PM

Honestly, the unboxing vids make me roll my eyes. It's a desperate plea for attention and acknowledgment by the senders, and I think there's something unhealthy about it for the giftees as well. Grifting is bad enough unto itself, but it also shifts the relationship between the uploaders and the viewers in a way that's making me increasingly uncomfortable with a number of channels that I've followed for some time. Stuff that was fun and light-hearted isn't so fun anymore when you're got people intimating that they won't be able to pay their bills if you don't give them money for their tv-watching videos.

by Anonymousreply 35August 23, 2017 7:49 AM

I am on the verge of unfriending FB friends who are not American citizens or residents and who endlessly virtue signal by posting rants against US politicians.

by Anonymousreply 36August 23, 2017 8:02 AM

The constant Trump bashing has made FB kind of tedious. Yes we know, you don't like him. Neither do we but must we read about your hate for him every ten minutes?

Go out and volunteer to help a local democratic campaign if you have that much free time!!!!!!!!

by Anonymousreply 37August 23, 2017 8:07 AM

Hey R32, looks like we travel similar paths on YT and we are of similar mindsets. I could go on and on about how disgusted all this 'give me your money' stuff makes me, to the point that it will turn into a rant of epic proportions. Maybe when I have more time.

by Anonymousreply 38August 23, 2017 4:40 PM

Back when I was on FB I found out by accident one friend (I didn't know in person) had landed in a homeless shelter with his wife. Their autistic son was in a decent place close to them.

They never put out any appeals for help. I got a bunch of dollar store daily necessities for them and a small gift card to use as they wished.

I received a very nice think you letting me know they shared with their son, the gift card was used for a badly needed pair of cheap shoes.

It looked like they got their shit together and got and apartment. They never asked for one thing from me. It's fine to help people but be judicious about it.

by Anonymousreply 39August 23, 2017 5:03 PM

There are times you want to help but in the back of your mind are the countless stories of people faking cancer, making up tales of sick kids, requesting money for something dire like medical bills and then you find out they went on a nice vacation or bought a new car and put it all over Facebook.

We've all seen the person on a corner begging for cash and you wonder if they're really hungry or will the money be used for drugs or booze. Scammers have made it bad for the folks who really need help.

by Anonymousreply 40August 23, 2017 6:09 PM

Or, you could have been more discerning before accepting Friends in the first place.

by Anonymousreply 41August 23, 2017 6:18 PM

A tumbler whiner alert: Chick has a long sob story how her pooch had an infected cut and needed emergency vet treatment, so she's asking for "help" from her "friends" to pay the bill. She makes sure to add several pics of the dog with a bandage and a picture of the vet bill for proof. So sad - please open your wallet for my lil puppy.

She's back a few days later because the dog needs some prescription expensive dog food; turns out poochy can't tolerate his usual food because of the antibiotics he's on. Can you "friends" spare a few more dollars so I can get this other food for my doggy? I want to throat-punch this person.

by Anonymousreply 42September 7, 2017 1:57 PM

Another person just dropped their tale of woe on tumblr: Her building was owned by a bunch of shysters and let it get so bad that the building department evicted everyone for their own safety. Basically, she's now homeless and has nowhere to go, has two cats with special needs(!) and 142 euros in the bank.

by Anonymousreply 43September 22, 2017 7:07 PM

I belong to a bunch of gay men groups on FB and it's unbelievable how many Pacific Islander flitboys have nothing on their profiles but selfies. And they're all models and actors. I block them all.

by Anonymousreply 44September 22, 2017 7:14 PM

Do people watch reaction videos because it makes them feel like they are watching tv with someone else? Have people's loneliness created a market for these videos? I'm just trying to understand why a total stranger watching tv or playing a video or whatever is at all interesting to other people.

by Anonymousreply 45September 22, 2017 7:36 PM

[quote]now my ex-friend for promoting transcult propaganda on Facebook

Man, there really is no thread here that you anti-T loons won't shit on, is there?

by Anonymousreply 46September 22, 2017 7:37 PM

Sigh. I just said as much myself on another thread, R46. It's out of hand.

by Anonymousreply 47September 22, 2017 7:44 PM

I watch reaction and review videos. I get different things from different posters - there's a bunch of GOT reactors who have read the books (I haven't) and they can give insights and info that clears up some of the backstory. I like some that watch a particular, then break down scenes, dialog, etc. Then there are others that just give great reactions - they can be funny, emotional and makes my own viewing experience enjoyable to see another fan being entertained.

by Anonymousreply 48September 22, 2017 7:46 PM

Some "friends" I've deleted in the past year:

Psycho-Christian ex-step-sister after posting one too many memes about the EVIL that is abortion.

Former millennial male employee who I just KNOW secretly supports Trump and reposts mainstream news stories about anything to do with TERRORISTS. His Twitter profile is something like "Counter-Terrorism and Pro Law Enforcement" or some shit. A few weeks later I got a friend request and, feeling bad, re-friended him. Then somebody from a job he'd just applied for called me as a reference. I gave his fucking reference and promptly unfriended him again.

Former millennial female employee who calls herself a "model" because old perverts pay her $150 to take "implied nude" photos of her. Her main post topics are vapid-sexy selfies, memes about how nobody should even THINK about messing with her or about how men who cheat on their women only end up cheating themselves, and other types of vaguebooking ("I just can't understand how people can be so selfish!").

Everybody from high school that I haven't personally seen since then, who posts too much about their spawn and spawn-mates, and/or betrayed their right wing "values."

The old friend who spent a year posting about her upcoming wedding and then a year afterwards reminding everyone that she's a newlywed now. I kept her in the feed as curious amusement until she started blathering about Trump. Plus I was sick of looking at her pedicured feet.

by Anonymousreply 49September 22, 2017 8:07 PM

[quote]Do people watch reaction videos because it makes them feel like they are watching tv with someone else? Have people's loneliness created a market for these videos? I'm just trying to understand why a total stranger watching tv or playing a video or whatever is at all interesting to other people.

For me personally, when it comes to GOT reaction vids, I enjoy watching them because the ones I follow are people who are into the show as I am, and know the history and details - not casual viewers who can't keep the names straight, like the people I watch with in my offline life. Some have good insights and theories to offer and really pick up on little details, others are just entertaining and funny - sometimes, with a group of reactors, it's like a sporting event kind of atmosphere. It's just fun to see how other fans react, especially to the big watercooler-type events.

by Anonymousreply 50September 24, 2017 6:50 AM

R26, he may not be on Facebook. If his Facebook is logged in on his phone, he will appear in chat whether he is there or not.

by Anonymousreply 51September 24, 2017 7:25 AM

I was looking for videos on household organizing on Youtube and came across a vidder saying that she was leaving Youtube. I got curious as to why - she went on a rant on how she started doing vids with the intention of getting paid for them. I know some people get $ for the ads run on their posts, but this woman said after all of her "hard work", she hadn't made a dime.

Maybe that's why so many of these YTers are starting Patreon accounts - YT is not the payday some of these people think it was rumored to be. Even so, it takes balls to ask strangers to send you money so you can film yourself.

by Anonymousreply 52September 28, 2017 5:25 PM

[quote]Maybe that's why so many of these YTers are starting Patreon accounts - YT is not the payday some of these people think it was rumored to be. Even so, it takes balls to ask strangers to send you money so you can film yourself.

That's the hilarious part of it. People think that just posting a video entitles them to be paid.

If anything, it's more like doing work on spec - for a very long time. Top content creators can make a decent amount of money (setting aside the whole current debate about the de-monetization currently occurring on Youtube - and being blamed on PewDiePie).

Like being an actor, many of these people believe they are unique and say that if viewers don't support them on patreon, then they'll have to stop (and get real jobs, no doubt). What they haven't clicked on is that only their most die hard fans would care. For the majority of content, there are literally hundreds of people doing almost the exact same thing. You have to be truly unique or interesting to stand out - most of them are not.

by Anonymousreply 53September 28, 2017 5:37 PM

Came across my first suicide post on tumblr - I guess this would be whiner. This person says they have depression and not being accepted by the people on their list has shown them that they're worthless and unlovable. The responses are half "don't do it!" and the other half are folks who did some detective work and found that this poster makes a habit of threatening suicide and shame them for seeking attention. I am a cynic and see this as a cry for affirmation and I ain't got time for dat.

by Anonymousreply 54October 1, 2017 9:16 PM

Another Youtuber I liked added a Patreon link. Someone called him on it, saying what I always want to say - why are you doing this. Of course the guy got highly offended. Instead of giving an honest answer (I wanna get on the money train), he got sarcastic and says he'd rather do that than peddle his ass on the street.

At least the asker got the last word -- he called the guy 'just another YT moocher'. Hah!

by Anonymousreply 55October 26, 2017 4:57 PM

In case no one else has pointed it out: You're obviously trashy, OP, with trashy friends.

by Anonymousreply 56October 26, 2017 5:20 PM

The pet torture porn people: "Please help this burnt dog in Alabama!"

The tRump news addicts.

The meme addicts.

The idiots who post year-old items as if they're breaking.

The dudes who complain ab out their nudie pics getting censored.

In fact, I hate them all.

by Anonymousreply 57October 26, 2017 5:31 PM

This Youtuber put up a video showing himself in the hospital - says he had a mental breakdown and depression. He said it was most likely caused by him reacting to negative comments on his YT channel, plus him always worrying about how his channel is doing, how many subscribers he has, etc. He says he is going to be taking a break from YT to get himself together, all while filming himself complaining about YT. This is a grown-ass man in his mid-30's, not some kid or millennial whining about this foolishness. Just turn off the camera, dude.

He's even more hypocritical and addicted to the camera -- he's posted 2-3 followup videos after saying he has to step away due to all of the stress. One video shows him walking his new therapy dog. Oy vey.

by Anonymousreply 58November 4, 2017 5:00 PM

I was once approached a little too aggressively in the supermarket parking lot by a woman who needed bus fare. I said “no”, because of the aggression, but then I turned around and gave her a dollar or maybe five or ten, I forget.

I know that the story about being robbed of all her luggage and just needing bus fare to get Home is untrue. She looked stressed enough that maybe she was withdrawing from heroin, which is really unpleasant. I don’t care. If that story helps her keep some dignity, fine. I don’t give to everyone who asks, but she seemed really stressed. I don’t think she was getting rich that way. I also don’t care if they’re going to drink it away. A few bucks every now and then isn’t going to change my life any.

I don't care for the middle class folks online who ask for money, though. I don’t care for much of the self-promotion and narcissism online, too.

by Anonymousreply 59November 5, 2017 5:09 AM

Saw a woman who posted a reaction video on Youtube; that's nothing new, but she had her toddler there on camera every second. The kid was wandering around, then sitting on her mothers lap and staring into the camera like a robot. As soon as I saw this, I KNEW that she was going to be one to ask for donation. Her screen name had the word "mom" in it, and I figured that would be her twist - mom + cute toddler = a way to ask viewers to "help" her support her site. And I was right, she has a Paypal account listed on her YT page where she says any donation will be used to make her videos better and will enable her to offer giveaways to her fans.

I've seen this "giveaway" thing on Tumblr too - people saying that they want to thank people for subscribing/following them and that they'll be doing a giveaway. Okay, I guess it's good to want to show appreciation, but I resent this YT chick saying she'll use $ from her donors to buy some piece of shit to send to some other donor. Why bother. That's why I will never send a dime to any of these moochers.

by Anonymousreply 60November 24, 2017 2:54 PM

@ R59 I was once leaving work when I was approached by a very shakey woman who told me a story about a domestic abuse situation, and needing a ride for herself and her daughter to a suburb some 25 miles away for a place in a sheler there. She seemed really distraught and although I am usually cynical, I leaned toward believing her. I had another job to go to and a coworker who came out was also unable to drive her. She said something about getting a taxi to the location was about $36. I knew that I had exactly $36 in my wallet, so I considered it a sign and gave it to her. I also gave my phone number and asked her to call and let me know she arrived safely but never heard from her. Scammed? I dunno. But I have survived alright without the money. I assume whatever her circumstances were, she needed it more than I.

by Anonymousreply 61November 24, 2017 3:49 PM

I want to be help people who are truly in need but there are just so many scammers that you get suspicious of almost everyone. For instance, R60's story - I would be wary giving this woman money because she added a child into her story. To me, this is a classic tactic of grifters - the invisible needy child. I don't know how many crack addicts have approached me asking for a handout in order to buy baby formula. Really, you're going to get some Enfamil instead of some rock?

by Anonymousreply 62November 24, 2017 4:15 PM

[quote] R61:She seemed really distraught ...

Heroin withdrawal will do that. I don’t think that should disqualify anyone from charity, though. If anything, it makes me feel more willing to give, since withdrawal is really painful.

The “need money for a bus ticket because I was robbed” or similar claim is just a story they make up. I usually feel like it allows them to keep a shred of dignity and I don’t mind. It’s not like I require a detailed recital of a life’s worth of poor choices before I open up my purse. I can’t imagine these people driving home in their new jag with the digital Speedometer, paid for by begging.

by Anonymousreply 63November 24, 2017 4:33 PM

How does Jenna Marbles have a following?

by Anonymousreply 64November 24, 2017 4:46 PM

Have no sympathy for people who pay youtuber, it’s like giving. Money to teleevangelicals

by Anonymousreply 65November 24, 2017 4:58 PM

R27 I remember Wendy the slow adult. My neighbor who is a retired social worker told me a similar case she came across. In the case, a developmentally disabled man would around the streets saying that he was homeless and hungry. People would give him money or buy him food. He used to hang around the same stores and areas. An employee at one grocery store called adult protective services which my neighbor worked for. It was found out that he wasn't homeless and had an apartment in public housing complex and family members of his had been managing the money he was getting from Social Security and made sure he had food in his house. When investigators questioned him he said that a cousin was the one who taught him how to beg from people so he could money and food when he was out and about.

by Anonymousreply 66November 24, 2017 5:40 PM

There's this crazy beggar woman who gets on the bus in my area. She wears a matted wig and speaks with a Haitian accent and you can see that she's "off". She used to get on and beg passengers for money - once she said she needed the money to get herself some panties. It was summer time and when she got no donations, she offered to lift her dress and prove that she had no underwear. I gave her a dollar.

I hadn't seen her for a few years until this weekend. She still gets on w/o paying (NYC bus drivers now just let these wackos ride for free - it ain't worth the hassle to try to get them off the bus). She doesn't beg any more - either she learned that it's a waste of time or the drivers won't put up with that. She's one of the harmless ones - not a junkie or drunk, but a mentally ill person that slipped through the cracks.

by Anonymousreply 67November 28, 2017 4:34 PM

Saw my first beggar of 2018. A woman only wearing a thin jacket on a day when it was about 25 degrees walking up to cars on Flatbush Avenue in the middle of the day, asking for four dollars. She was young and in shape and not too hagged out yet from crack and she only went up to men to ask for money, so I guess she was hoping to use her "sex appeal" for donations. Why do junkies not see that such obvious desperation gives you away and most people don't want to fund your habit.

by Anonymousreply 68January 3, 2018 2:55 PM

//Rant Ahead//

Another reason to be annoyed at Youtube - they now have set it up for greedy vidders to sell their branded merch right on their YT page. Some vidders have large followings (The Normies, etc.) and I give them a pass because they entertain their viewers with skits, etc. and they slowly earned fans. However, there are many obscure nobodies putting their pic or catchphrase or whatever on T-shirts, sweatshirts, mugs, hats and have a link for the gullible to buy it. This chick Imon Snow is the latest - she started out a woman recording herself in a room, then she put a link on Patreon, so fans could "help the channel grow" - so she could get better equipment, etc. Bitch, there was nothing wrong with your recordings before but she had to put say instead of "please give me money cause I know other people are getting some". Anyway, Imon now has her own line of merch for sale. I'm disgusted at her for this and for pandering - she started wearing skimpier and more low-cut tops on her recordings. Guess why.

This Australian 20-something is even worse - she doesn't even bother with the tired "new/better video equipment" lie. She blatantly says she wants money to buy a car because she never goes anywhere so a car may help her get out of the house more. Go take a walk, you sponge.

by Anonymousreply 69August 14, 2018 3:35 PM

R69, I'm pretty checked out of the reaction videos when Game of Thrones isn't in season, but I'm familiar with the phenomenon you're talking about from other channels - and I really don't get it. Who is buying t-shirts and hats with the logos of channels that have maybe 5000 subscribers? I really do miss the YouTube that was more amateurish and done for the love of whatever the subject matter is. Too many people are becoming slick and corporate even when they don't have enough of a following to warrant it. The non-stop money shakedown is a massive turnoff.

Imon Snow - don't have time for that bitch. She's been working her looks for a long time, because she doesn't have anything else. She's a fake, overwrought reactor. Was pretty disgusted to see she'd wormed her way into the Normies' orbit during last season of GOT.

by Anonymousreply 70August 15, 2018 11:18 AM

R69 you searched for and bumped this stupid thread to add that? Wow, riveting.

by Anonymousreply 71August 15, 2018 11:48 AM

There are two new female beggars haunting the big street near me; they look vaguely mentally unstable, not drugged/boozed up. They drift up to you and ask for "a couple of dollars". Feeling charitable, I pulled out my wallet and found that I had a five and 2 singles. She sees what I have - I peel off a buck and hand it to her - she starts to walk away then turns around and says "can't you give me the rest... you won't miss it".

The other one stops me a few days later. While I go into my bag to find my wallet she starts to give me a list of all of the stuff that she doesn't have that is causing her to ask for help -- no coffee sugar milk bread teabags toilet paper. I'm gonna start keeping a loose single or two in my pocket so I don't give them time to linger and give me their life stories.

by Anonymousreply 72March 8, 2019 6:49 PM

In my road we've somehow progressed from, 'spare change?' to, 'have a spare single?' to, 'I need $6.50 for a chicken sandwich'.

by Anonymousreply 73March 9, 2019 12:57 AM

I happened someone I enjoy on Youtube was doing a live stream. I don't usually bother with live streams because they're usually people and/or topics that don't interest me, but I clicked because I was curious about what she could possibly do to warrant going live. She's just babbling about her life - she's not an "influencer" and all she does is TV show reviews, so I don't even see that his live stream has any entertainment value. People asking her inane questions but also giving her money to hear her ramble. She's not asking for it, but various people are just "donating" different amounts - one was $300. What the hell? So anyone that live streams is set up for random viewers to send them money just because? That is F'ed up.

I listened a little more and I think I see a pattern... she's talking about various games, movies, items that interest her and some of the viewers are taking that as an opportunity to give her money to "help" her buy these items. So instead of outright asking for stuff, you talk about things you'd love to get and wait for the buffoons to open their wallets. I feel dirty for her.

by Anonymousreply 74January 19, 2020 3:45 PM

^^ I happened to click by and see someone

by Anonymousreply 75January 19, 2020 3:46 PM

Jeff Stryker. He's not whining or begging but seeing him push his action figure dolls on EBay is kind of boring. He is also selling locks of his hair for one thousand bucks. I honestly don't know why I sent him a friend request.

by Anonymousreply 76January 19, 2020 4:13 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!