Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Eggplant

We've done parsnips. Now let's show some love for eggplant and look beyond the classic eggplant parmesan. How do you like to prepare it?

by Anonymousreply 23August 19, 2018 9:27 PM

Fried like French fries is good.

by Anonymousreply 1March 17, 2017 7:58 PM

The Food Wishes chef on YouTube posted a video about eggplant "bacon." More like smoky, salty eggplant chips, that look suspiciously like mimosa or black locust tree seedpods.

I'm an eggplant fan, particularly the various ways I've had it prepared in Indian restaurants.

by Anonymousreply 2March 17, 2017 8:07 PM

That sounds delicious!

by Anonymousreply 3March 17, 2017 8:10 PM

It is called an Aubergine, not sure how the Americans and Aussies dumbed it down to 'Egg Plant'

by Anonymousreply 4March 17, 2017 8:19 PM

Nightshades can be inflammatory. Use in moderation.

by Anonymousreply 5March 17, 2017 8:21 PM

I agree aubergine is a much nicer name.

by Anonymousreply 6March 17, 2017 8:22 PM

Any curried eggplant recipes?

by Anonymousreply 7March 17, 2017 8:23 PM

Eggplant seems like a "filler" vegetable to me. Load it up with marinara sauce and cheese or curry it and it's OK - but on its own it's just watery, mushy and gray.

by Anonymousreply 8March 17, 2017 8:26 PM

I use eggplant in many recipes. One simple side dish is roasting eggplant under a broiler (or on a grill) with olive oil. I cut the eggplant in half inch slices, drenched in olive oil. Cook leeks in a pan (split in two lengthwise and cook them in butter). Chop up the roasted eggplant and leeks, mix together with salt and pepper. Maybe a little extra olive oil. This makes a delicious side dish to any Italian meal, certainly rigatoni or lasagna

by Anonymousreply 9March 17, 2017 8:28 PM

It's nasty!

by Anonymousreply 10March 17, 2017 8:32 PM

An aubergine responds well to fierce heat. You want blistered skin and soft flesh. Thai, Indian or Greek dishes are all good. The Japanese nasu dengaku is also excellent.

by Anonymousreply 11March 17, 2017 8:34 PM

Unbeatable with curry paste and coconut milk curry.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 12March 17, 2017 9:44 PM

A Sicilian way is to cut them into slices, dredge in flour, dip in egg, dredge in breadcrumbs...then fry.

by Anonymousreply 13March 17, 2017 9:52 PM

Fuck you, OP. Classic eggplant parmesan is the way to go. Everyone post their recipes and tips here for that classic dish.

by Anonymousreply 14March 17, 2017 10:33 PM

r13 -- That's the way my Southern grandmother prepared fried eggplant. Except she dredged in crushed saltine crackers.

It was a rare summertime treat when she cut up and fried one of her homegrown eggplants!

by Anonymousreply 15March 17, 2017 10:45 PM

The French website at the link features a Korean recipe that's an adaptation of a Japanese recipe -- it uses the Asian eggplant (either Chinese or Japanese) which are cylindrical rather than bell shaped like the Italian version, but any kind of eggplant works. Very good & not difficult.

R4, I think the name "eggplant" comes from the small oval white version of the vegetable, which looks just like a large egg hanging on its stem.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 16March 17, 2017 10:48 PM

Delish!

by Anonymousreply 17March 17, 2017 11:05 PM

If you enjoy olive oil, you must try Iman bayildi.

"The story behind this dish is that the Imam (a Turkish official in the Ottoman Empire) fainted when his wife told him she'd used up all the olive oil in making this dish. Eggplant is an oil sponge, it loves to soak it up. Having said that, it is also very, very delicious, and if you allow the eggplant to drain well after frying them, you will still cut calories while retaining great taste. Great dish - vegetarian."

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 18March 17, 2017 11:37 PM

And Baba ghanouj, too.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 19March 17, 2017 11:39 PM

R18 I prefer karniyarik, which is like imam bayildi, only with minced meat added.

by Anonymousreply 20March 17, 2017 11:56 PM

R20, Thanks. That sound delicious.

by Anonymousreply 21March 18, 2017 12:09 AM

by Anonymousreply 22August 19, 2018 9:22 PM

Eggplant rollatini

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 23August 19, 2018 9:27 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!