Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Dorothy Parker

How come she's not talked about more on DL?

by Anonymousreply 40December 4, 2019 1:46 PM

What Bravo show is she on?

by Anonymousreply 1March 13, 2017 8:51 PM

One of those Real Housewives shows, r1.

by Anonymousreply 2March 13, 2017 8:53 PM

Wasn't Dot on Real Housewives of Miami?

That franchise was a bit of a flop, which is probably why nobody has heard of Dorothy Parker.

by Anonymousreply 3March 13, 2017 10:20 PM

I loved it when she flipped the table and ripped off some bitch's weave.

by Anonymousreply 4March 13, 2017 10:22 PM

R4 Dorothy could turn the tables on ANYONE.

by Anonymousreply 5March 13, 2017 10:43 PM

All of the erudite Dataloungers left the lounge years ago, only to be replaced by gaylings spreading lies about Justin Timberlake's sexuality.

by Anonymousreply 6March 13, 2017 11:21 PM

I could generally take or leave Parker's short stories, but her commentary has to be among the sharpest ever written in the English language. Read the "Constant Reader" reviews - every last word is perfect, and they are hilarious to this day.

And yes, it is bizarre how someone keeps insisting that Justin Timberlake of all people is gay.

by Anonymousreply 7March 13, 2017 11:30 PM

This thread runs the gamut of emotions from A to B.

by Anonymousreply 8March 13, 2017 11:40 PM

What was her tag line again?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 9March 13, 2017 11:48 PM

My favorite: when asked to use "horticulture" in a sentence replied, "You can lead a horticulture, but you can't make her think."

by Anonymousreply 10March 13, 2017 11:50 PM

I'm quite fond of her poem Penelope.

by Anonymousreply 11March 13, 2017 11:51 PM

"Big Blonde" is a helluva short story, R7, but otherwise, I agree.

by Anonymousreply 12March 13, 2017 11:52 PM

AS is "The Telephone Call."

by Anonymousreply 13March 13, 2017 11:53 PM

Razors pain you;

Rivers are damp;

Acids stain you;

And drugs cause cramp.

Guns aren’t lawful;

Nooses give;

Gas smells awful;

You might as well live.

Advice for the terminally depressed

by Anonymousreply 14March 14, 2017 12:00 AM

r12 - Have you no love for Horsie?

by Anonymousreply 15March 14, 2017 12:06 AM

Because he's not doing much these days. Only Fran Lebowitz has had less new output in the last 35 years.

by Anonymousreply 16March 14, 2017 12:34 AM

Interview

The ladies men admire, I’ve heard, Would shudder at a wicked word. Their candle gives a single light; They’d rather stay at home at night. They do not keep awake till three, Nor read erotic poetry. They never sanction the impure, Nor recognize an overture. They shrink from powders and from paints ... So far, I’ve had no complaints.

by Anonymousreply 17March 14, 2017 1:12 AM

Once more, with line breaks:

Interview

The ladies men admire, I’ve heard, Would shudder at a wicked word. Their candle gives a single light; They’d rather stay at home at night. They do not keep awake till three, Nor read erotic poetry. They never sanction the impure, Nor recognize an overture. They shrink from powders and from paints ... So far, I’ve had no complaints.

by Anonymousreply 18March 14, 2017 1:14 AM

If you can read this, you're standing too close.

by Anonymousreply 19March 14, 2017 1:39 AM

“If you have any young friends who aspire to become writers, the second greatest favor you can do them is to present them with copies of The Elements of Style.

The first greatest, of course, is to shoot them now, while they’re happy.”

by Anonymousreply 20March 14, 2017 2:00 AM

My personal fave:

“By the time you swear you’re his,

Shivering and sighing,

And he vows his passion is

Infinite, undying -

Lady, make a note of this:

One of you is lying."

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 21March 14, 2017 2:03 AM

“Heterosexuality is not normal, it's just common.”

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 22March 14, 2017 2:06 AM

“Tell him I was too fucking busy-- or vice versa.”

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 23March 14, 2017 2:07 AM

“This wasn't just plain terrible, this was fancy terrible.

This was terrible with raisins in it."

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 24March 14, 2017 2:09 AM

She was married to a homosexual gentleman.

by Anonymousreply 25March 14, 2017 2:13 AM

R25, Fess was gay?

by Anonymousreply 26March 14, 2017 2:15 AM

"Tonstant Weader fwowed up."

by Anonymousreply 27March 14, 2017 2:17 AM

Dorothy Parker “I like to have a martini, Two at the very most. After three I'm under the table, after four I'm under my host.”

that alone should earn her immortality

by Anonymousreply 28March 14, 2017 2:18 AM

I always liked that she and Lillian Hellman were BFFs.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 29March 14, 2017 2:26 AM

It is recorded that Mrs. Parker and a snooty debutante were both going in to supper at a party: the debutante made elaborate way, saying sweetly “Age before beauty, Mrs. Parker.” “And pearls before swine,” said Mrs. Parker, sweeping in.

by Anonymousreply 30March 14, 2017 2:29 AM

Her actual epitaph for her tomb was: EXCUSE MY DUST.

You can see it here:

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 31March 14, 2017 2:34 AM

one quote should resonate with DL:

"you can't teach an old dogma new tricks"

though we try here ceaselessly every day

by Anonymousreply 32March 14, 2017 2:42 AM

[quote] If you want to know what God thought of money, look at the people he gave it to.

Dorothy Parker

She still makes me chuckle,even when I think of Donald Trump.

by Anonymousreply 33March 14, 2017 2:43 AM

What fresh hell can this be?

by Anonymousreply 34March 14, 2017 4:56 AM

that's the question i've been asking every day since november when i open the morning paper, and there always is one

by Anonymousreply 35March 14, 2017 4:58 AM

I'm glad that the posters here appreciate "The Big Blonde" because Louis Auchincloss, whose short stories were as good as his novels, once praised Parker in person (I think.) "Blonde" is a study of manners; it matters to those characters if they, as divorced women, are addressed as Mrs. with their first name or their with their ex-husbands'. But they were (many of them) used to be supported by men, as was Parker's Hazel Morse, and with the Depression on the horizon--the story was written in 1929--they may soon find themselves in short street.

by Anonymousreply 36December 4, 2019 6:16 AM

Back when I'd read everything I could find by an author I liked, I read a shit-ton of Parker's stuff.

One should never do that. She's best appreciated in smaller doses, particularly her reviews and sharp poetry. But her short stories tend to be depressing as hell.

by Anonymousreply 37December 4, 2019 6:31 AM

Who goes Nazi is one of the sharpest and most apt commentaries. Still applies, too.

by Anonymousreply 38December 4, 2019 9:35 AM

[quote] How come she's not talked about more on DL?

Because we are too busy talking about Dorothy Gale, Dorothy Zbornak, and very occasionally Dorothy Loudon.

by Anonymousreply 39December 4, 2019 12:33 PM

R30. It wasn't a debutante, it was Clare Booth Luce.

by Anonymousreply 40December 4, 2019 1:46 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!