Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Was Larry Levan the greatest DJ of all time?

If not him, then who?

Did anyone here ever get to experience him at the Paradise Garage?

by Anonymousreply 13November 13, 2019 6:05 AM

No I never got to experience him at the Paradise Garage. However I've got several tracks he produced in my library. They are awesome. And he was of course a gay man who died too young.

by Anonymousreply 1March 5, 2017 8:12 PM

OP do you mean traditional, live club DJs, or hybrid studio guys like DJ Shadow?

Carl Cox was supposed to be amazing in his day. I'd also like to hear about anyone who experienced these guys in their prime. Levan was supposed to be a master at working the room.

by Anonymousreply 2March 5, 2017 8:15 PM

[quote]OP do you mean traditional, live club DJs, or hybrid studio guys like DJ Shadow?

Yes, I should have specified club DJ.

by Anonymousreply 3March 5, 2017 8:56 PM

Levan's story could be a great movie chronicling that scene and time. "Could" because it could easily be ruined.

by Anonymousreply 4March 5, 2017 9:04 PM

Are there any books about him?

by Anonymousreply 5March 5, 2017 9:05 PM

Bump so some of the long time NYC DLer might share a story or two.

It's too bad the whole corporate EDM scene took over electronic/club music. We'll probably never see his like again.

by Anonymousreply 6March 7, 2017 5:07 AM

He was a great DJ that's for sure. This is a live set.

He also influenced many other DJs like Frankie Knuckles, and Ron Hardy.

I would have loved to go to the Paradise garage but I was a kid when it closed. I am bisexual, have been out for decades, and when I have gone to LGBT/gay bars and dance clubs the music is not that good as it's Madonna, dance music from the early-mid 1990s, or pop hits from the latest flash in the pan wannabe diva.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 7November 12, 2019 10:54 PM

R5 may find this interesting.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 8November 13, 2019 12:23 AM

more Larry Levan

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 9November 13, 2019 12:47 AM

He certainly was one of the greatest. RIP

by Anonymousreply 10November 13, 2019 4:26 AM

He was one of the greatest. I went to the Paradise Garage shortly before it closed, but he was no longer DJing. It was still legendary, though. New York used to have some of the most incredible clubs imaginable, and I caught many just before they closed or on their way out. Tracks, Sound Factory, Midtown 43, the Nickle Bar, the Warehouse in the Bronx, and of course the Garage, the Saint, Escuelita's and La Nueva Escuelita, the Octagon...oh the good old days!

by Anonymousreply 11November 13, 2019 4:51 AM

Octagon!!

by Anonymousreply 12November 13, 2019 5:00 AM

No. IMHO - Frankie Knuckles. Soulful moving dance music.

by Anonymousreply 13November 13, 2019 6:05 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!