Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Let's Discuss Helen Reddy's Eerie 1974 Hit, "Angie Baby."

This was among the best of the "story" songs that were so popular during the early to mid 1970s (like "The Night the Lights Went Out in Georgia" and "Dark Lady").

Such a spooky, surreal tune. So what do you think? Was Angie just nuts? Did she kill the kid? Or did she really capture him and imprison him in her radio?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 25May 2, 2018 12:21 AM

I love that lyric at the end of the song - "It's so nice to be insane. No one asks you to explain." Chilling.

by Anonymousreply 1February 24, 2017 1:48 PM

I remember her performing the song on The Carol Burnett Show, and while she was singing it, they had actors acting out the tune in the background. I remember a bedroom setting and a girl in pigtails dancing around. And I remember the boy coming in, then "special effects" were used to show him shrinking down into the radio.

I wish I could find that clip online. I've looked all over for it. Does anybody else remember that?

by Anonymousreply 2February 24, 2017 1:52 PM

My favorite song of hers -- although I've never understood it, either!

by Anonymousreply 3February 24, 2017 1:53 PM

Seems pretty straightforward to me: Angie was mentally ill and imagined she lived in the world of the songs she listened to. A boy who wanted to prey on her sneaks into her room, she attacks him in self defense, and kills him and hides him in the room but imagines (because of her mental illness) that he's still there as her secret lover.

I'd like to think she has one of those big 1930s radios and has literally stuffed his body in there, but that's just wishful thinking.

by Anonymousreply 4February 24, 2017 2:05 PM

Hollywood Seven is another of those great OTT story songs from that period.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 5February 24, 2017 2:54 PM

I thought it was a great song, but it's too bad Helen Reddy sang it. She was a mediocre singer.

I thought the song had a supernatural bent. It sounded like a horror story A crazy girl who does nothing but stay in her room and listen to the radio; a guy sneaks into her room, maybe on a dare, and due to the force of her insane desire he's sucked into the radio where he's doomed to stay forever as Angie's "secret lover." It sounds like a story from one of those old horror magazines like "Creepy" or "Eerie" or "Vampirella."

by Anonymousreply 6February 24, 2017 2:57 PM

There was already a thread

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 7February 24, 2017 3:00 PM

Not really the same thing, R7.

by Anonymousreply 8February 25, 2017 12:46 AM

R4 Hiding the body in her room. I assume the next chapter of the song involves her parents smelling something awful and discovering the kid.

by Anonymousreply 9February 25, 2017 12:48 AM

It has a sort of Looking For Mr Goodbar vibe about it - doesn't it?

by Anonymousreply 10August 30, 2017 3:07 AM

I think R4 has it.

by Anonymousreply 11August 30, 2017 3:13 AM

Angie was probably autistic.

Ruby Red Dress had PTSD (so did Pete from [italic][bold]P[/bold]e[bold]t[/bold]e'[bold]s D[/bold]ragon, hence the name and the dragon essentially being the personification of weed)

Delta Dawn is just deluding herself into thinking the mysterious dark-haired man is ever coming back, and at 41 she can't do better.

by Anonymousreply 12August 30, 2017 3:20 AM

Paper Lace's "The Night Chicago Died" and "Billy, Don't Be A Hero."

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 13August 30, 2017 3:30 AM

She did so many weird lady songs, from Delta Dawn to Ruby Red Dress to Gladiola

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 14August 30, 2017 8:59 AM

A cartoon explains it all

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 15August 30, 2017 11:40 AM

Poor ol' Ruby Red Dress always makes me sad.

by Anonymousreply 16August 30, 2017 12:26 PM

Thanks, R15. I remember the song as a child, but didn't pay too much attention to the lyrics other than the "A-aN-Gee Baby..." refrain. Now that I'm really hearing the song....YIKES!

by Anonymousreply 17August 30, 2017 12:54 PM

Let's see what Alan O'Day (who wrote the song) has to say:

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 18August 30, 2017 1:48 PM

The first time I went to America, this was a big hit (along with Mandy by Barry Manilow, which had already been a hit in England by someone else with the tile BRandy) - my father loved it and bought the 8 Track and took it back to England and played it endlessly on a sort of 8Track player we also bought there that looked like a thing you use to set off a bomb.

Nothing takes you back like a good song.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 19August 30, 2017 2:04 PM

R2. YES!!!! I remember it. I have said in conversation before that this was the first music video ever. Can't believe another gayling saw that same Carol Burnett episode and remembers it

by Anonymousreply 20August 30, 2017 2:30 PM

Angie Baby was living in a world of make-believe, like most DLers.

by Anonymousreply 21August 30, 2017 2:35 PM

I found the image of a dead boy as a "lover who keeps her satisfied" very disturbing.

by Anonymousreply 22August 30, 2017 2:52 PM

I always loved the story of how Mary Travers never could get through "I Am Woman" because whenever she got to the line "I am invincible" she'd laugh uncontrollably, bless her.

Angie Baby, you're an especial lady!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 23August 30, 2017 2:52 PM

R20, count me as another gayling who saw that episode too, IT was a rerun, though, in the 80s.

by Anonymousreply 24August 30, 2017 2:56 PM

Helen says people are always presenting her with their theories - she finds what they come up with reveals a lot about them.

by Anonymousreply 25May 2, 2018 12:21 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!