Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

What is Ottawa like?

To live. Is it decent?

by Anonymousreply 127September 23, 2019 7:55 PM

It's like Washington DC if Hillary won

by Anonymousreply 1February 22, 2017 3:06 PM

Yes, it is fabulous. Cold, clear, beautiful and athletic, with rugged lumberjacks and the civil servants who love them.

by Anonymousreply 2February 22, 2017 3:30 PM

Gays at the Byward market

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 3February 22, 2017 3:32 PM

Is that you 2nd from the left, R3?

by Anonymousreply 4February 22, 2017 3:34 PM

If stick to the French part of Canada if you must go at all.

by Anonymousreply 5February 22, 2017 3:37 PM

Unions are the biggest contingents in the pride parade. And that's a good thing.

by Anonymousreply 6February 22, 2017 3:41 PM

Canadian here. Ottawa - nice city, clean, tourists not all over the place like Washington, D.C., beautiful in summer. But it's way up in Northern Ontario and as such Ottawa is quite isolated (unless you count Hull, Quebec right across the border). I've been there and it's very okay but wouldn't want to live there because it's too far North. Great to visit but to live there - probably no.

by Anonymousreply 7February 22, 2017 3:44 PM

It should be pretty good, OP. It's full of Canadians.

by Anonymousreply 8February 22, 2017 3:47 PM

How is Ottawa in Northern Ontario, R7? Are you from Toronto, and therefore every city but Toronto is isolated?

by Anonymousreply 9February 22, 2017 3:49 PM

Really. Ottawa is hardly more north than Montreal for anyone who isn't completely agoraphobic.

by Anonymousreply 10February 22, 2017 4:12 PM

There are exactly zero heterosexuals.

by Anonymousreply 11February 22, 2017 4:14 PM

Ottawa is 120 miles from Montreal.

by Anonymousreply 12February 22, 2017 4:26 PM

Coming from LA, this calm, sparkling city was a shock.

by Anonymousreply 13February 22, 2017 4:29 PM

I wish I had a waterfront high rise condo in Windsor, so I could watch the collapse of the USA from a front row seat.

by Anonymousreply 14February 22, 2017 4:33 PM

[quote]Ottawa is 120 miles from Montreal.

North, or west? What are you saying?

by Anonymousreply 15February 22, 2017 4:40 PM

Ottawa is 1 hour from the U.S. border - hardly "northern Ontario"! Multiple direct flights everyday to Laguardia - 90 minutes - United and Air Canada.

by Anonymousreply 16February 22, 2017 4:45 PM

Montreal basically east of Ottawa - just a 2 hour drive.

by Anonymousreply 17February 22, 2017 4:48 PM

Hot in the summer, cold in the winter

by Anonymousreply 18February 22, 2017 5:02 PM

Where are you from OP?

by Anonymousreply 19February 22, 2017 5:07 PM

Enviable public transportation. Lots of money spent on public art compared to other large Canadian cities. The Rideau Canal is awesome for skating in the winter because it goes on for miles and miles.

by Anonymousreply 20February 22, 2017 5:17 PM

Nice, much warmer than most Canadian cities, tons of beautiful men, vibrant and very large gay community, and the majority are tops.

by Anonymousreply 21February 22, 2017 5:55 PM

[quote]If stick to the French part of Canada if you must go at all.

The French part is right across the river from Ottawa.

by Anonymousreply 22February 22, 2017 6:32 PM

I gather it was chosen as the capital in the same way Washington DC was -- a compromise between anglophone and francophone = a compromise between north and south.

by Anonymousreply 23February 22, 2017 6:33 PM

As a Canadian, I find it pleasant but rather boring. In many ways, it reminds me of Calgary: a small, fairly urbane central core surrounded by non-descript, residential suburbia. It's aggressively bilingual, not in some organic way, but because the government needs to meet its quota of bureaucrats in both official languages. I remember going there on business and being surprised how dead the downtown gets after 5pm once all those bureaucrats retreat to their suburbs.

by Anonymousreply 24February 22, 2017 6:55 PM

[quote] a small, fairly urbane central core surrounded by non-descript, residential suburbia.

sounds like a tons of canada

by Anonymousreply 25February 22, 2017 7:12 PM

Boring beyond belief with the worst weather in the world. Months of sub zero temps then right into suffocating humidity and clouds of insects. The French speaking minority controls the job market which is mostly governmental positions. Many university educated English speakers leave Ottawa because they can't get a career. Almost no visible gay scene. Homophobic and provincial. No concert hall which means most touring acts don't play Ottawa. Going to a concert in Ottawa means hearing something like Nickelback in a hockey arena. Not one all night coffee shop. Lame restaurants. Only two gay bars left. The city's infrastructure is unimpressive. The only culture is what the government fully pays for and promotes - a gallery and an opera house - both just OK. I could go on but the mediocrity of Canada's capital city gives me a headache just describing it.

by Anonymousreply 26February 23, 2017 8:01 AM

I think you're mostly describing Winnipeg, R26.

by Anonymousreply 27February 23, 2017 11:04 AM

Are the men hung?

by Anonymousreply 28February 23, 2017 11:57 AM

OP is a Justin Trudeau fanboy, hoping to be able to better stalk his idol.

by Anonymousreply 29February 23, 2017 12:22 PM

I lived in Ottawa for almost 5 years to take a government job and to be perfectly honest I hated it. R26 sums it up very well. Ottawa also has a rapidly growing drug problem with heroin being the drug of choice around town. I ended up applying to transfer back to Toronto and was so happy when I left Ottawa.

by Anonymousreply 30February 23, 2017 1:23 PM

Not a foreskin in sight.

by Anonymousreply 31February 23, 2017 4:23 PM

Ottawa is definitely considered northern Ontario. The traditional dividing line is the Trent-Severn waterway.

by Anonymousreply 32February 23, 2017 4:30 PM

Do they have strippers?

by Anonymousreply 33February 23, 2017 4:48 PM

do they have waterway strippers?

by Anonymousreply 34February 23, 2017 5:08 PM

R32, Ottawa is in eastern Ontario. A one-hour drive from the U.S. border is not northern fucking Ontario, fool.

by Anonymousreply 35February 23, 2017 5:46 PM

As if the OP is ever going to move out of his group home

by Anonymousreply 36February 23, 2017 5:55 PM

Ennui on the Rideau.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 37February 23, 2017 6:19 PM

Lots of secrets.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 38February 23, 2017 6:22 PM

Does William shatnter live there?

by Anonymousreply 39February 23, 2017 6:24 PM

R38 I'll keep yoursecrets if you keep mine ... shhhhhhhhhhh

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 40February 23, 2017 6:51 PM

It's nothing like Ottumwa.

by Anonymousreply 41February 23, 2017 7:20 PM

Justin Trudeau lives there, so naturally it's fab!

by Anonymousreply 42February 23, 2017 7:36 PM

Do y'all know how far north Ontario and Quebec go. Ottawa is basically just North of Syracuse. It probably has better weather too.

by Anonymousreply 43February 23, 2017 9:54 PM

I don't mind cold weather, but I'd prefer Montreal.

by Anonymousreply 44February 23, 2017 10:36 PM

Small but scenic downtown that empties out at 5. Ringed by nondescript suburbs and a green belt. Decent transit system with BRT and an expanding light rail network. Very good national art gallery and war museum. Parliament buildings and grounds are beautiful as is the Rideau Canal. Good proximity to Montreal (the most vibrant and interesting Canadian city IMO) and the US border. Nice place to spend a weekend. Seems like it would become rather monotonous after a few weeks.

by Anonymousreply 45February 24, 2017 1:30 AM

I love Ottawa. Downtown after dark is so quiet. You barely see anyone in the streets, but you will see the bars and bistros full of people.

by Anonymousreply 46February 24, 2017 1:33 AM

I don't know if this is still the case but at one time the urban green belt was overrun with deer, especially Moody Drive in Bells Corners. The smell of male deer piss was overwhelming, but also somewhat of an aphrodisiac for gay men.

A very safe city.

It has a good reputation in Canada for public transit unless you're from Toronto or Montreal.

by Anonymousreply 47February 24, 2017 1:44 AM

BORING, OP. And I'm not from Toronto or Vancouver or Montreal or even Calgary. I live in a crap border city but I can still have standards, and I pronounce Ottawa to be boring and sterile.

by Anonymousreply 48February 24, 2017 1:51 AM

It is what you make it, like anywhere.

by Anonymousreply 49February 24, 2017 1:56 AM

The baths is lights-out all day the first Thursday of each month. The best place to taste international diplomatic ass in Canada.

by Anonymousreply 50February 24, 2017 2:08 AM

Ottawa is like most moderate sized cities in Ottawa, very little culture, no real gay scene, full of white trash, Tim Horton's on every corner, the downtown is deserted after 5 pm, very little night, tough job market, most people between the ages of 25 and 40 have left to find jobs in bigger cities like Toronto, Montreal or Vancouver.

by Anonymousreply 51February 24, 2017 12:51 PM

The German diplomats find Ottawa so cold that their Government has categorized Ottawa as a "Hardship Post."

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 52February 24, 2017 6:44 PM

R7 you are a Canadian and don't know where Ottawa is? it's not in northern Ontario. It's only 50 miles from the NY border,

by Anonymousreply 53February 24, 2017 6:59 PM

Ottawa was nice but it's more like most of our state capitals than DC.

R51 has a negative but somewhat more realistic view of it.

Not a place I would willingly pick for a trip, but I was there with a beautiful Canadian daddy that was fucking me years ago, and it was on Remembrance Day. Very moving.

by Anonymousreply 54February 24, 2017 7:03 PM

There is nothing there. Small town, and government employees.

by Anonymousreply 55February 24, 2017 8:37 PM

Ottawa is not Northern Ontario!!

by Anonymousreply 56February 24, 2017 8:38 PM

I live in Ottawa (Centretown) and love it here. It all depends on what you are looking for. It's very safe. I can walk around at 3 o'clock in the morning to get to Food Frenzy for cat food or whatever. Easy drive to Montreal, not too bad to Toronto. U.S. border in no time at all. National Art Centre, Museums galore. Good restaurants, of course not anywhere near the scale of the great American cities, but enjoyable nonetheless. Farmer's markets, etc.. If you are looking for sparkling nightlife and busy busy this is not the place. But for decent and liveable you can't beat Ottawa.

by Anonymousreply 57February 24, 2017 8:56 PM

Well, I guess you can buy cat food at 3 am in Ottawa.

by Anonymousreply 58February 24, 2017 9:51 PM

I'm shocked that there are other Ottawans on Datalounge. I thought I was the only gay in the village!

by Anonymousreply 59February 25, 2017 12:23 AM

You can't buy cat food at 3 am in any other North American city. Only in Ottawa.

by Anonymousreply 60February 25, 2017 12:32 AM

The good life in Ottawa.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 61February 25, 2017 12:47 AM

My cat have me well trained. If I open the cupboard and see no food for the morning there will be hell to pay!

by Anonymousreply 62February 25, 2017 3:12 AM

It's a city of contrasts - on the surface it's very frau and family friendly, heterosexual normative. Underneath, a culture of debauchery and fuckery exists, albeit in a very discreet and exclusive way. I've had some primo peen in the shadows of the Supreme Court and 24 Sussex Drive, the PM's residence in Rockliffe Park. These trysts were largely with parliamentarians not from here and living on their own in downtown apartments away from their families.

by Anonymousreply 63February 25, 2017 4:35 AM

How does the tulip festival compare to Amsterdam?

by Anonymousreply 64February 25, 2017 5:22 AM

by Anonymousreply 65December 29, 2017 11:29 PM

Ottawa in NOT in Northern Ontario!

by Anonymousreply 66December 29, 2017 11:38 PM

It has to be better than Toronto.

It was known as "Toronto The Good" 150 years ago but now it's the receptacle for foreign trash.

by Anonymousreply 67December 29, 2017 11:38 PM

Ottawa is BORING. You will never have an intelligent conversation and you will never think about sex there.

by Anonymousreply 68December 29, 2017 11:39 PM

Toronto stopped being Toronto the Good a LONG time ago. Montreal is turning into Toronto.

by Anonymousreply 69December 29, 2017 11:39 PM

If you need a city to define who you are and to fill your shallow life, then most definitely, Toronto is where you should be.

by Anonymousreply 70December 29, 2017 11:43 PM

Do you work for the government, R70?

by Anonymousreply 71December 29, 2017 11:51 PM

Did someone say Nickleback???

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 72December 30, 2017 12:03 AM

No r71

by Anonymousreply 73December 30, 2017 12:19 AM

Geography Lesson: Listen Up!

See the Map and locate Ottawa. It is nowhere near Northern Ontario. If you want Northern Ontario, start at North Bay (to the left of Ottawa). That area which includes North Bay, Sudbury, Timmins (Shania Twain town), Kirkland Lake etc - THAT is Northern Ontario. It is massive. I grew up there.

I also spent a chunk of my life in Ottawa. Folks that say Ottawa feels isolated, boring, rolled up sidewalks at 5:00 pm, zero or little entertainment, cultural outlets, etc would be 100% correct. There's also a kind of depressing aura about it which I can't really put into words. You'd have to spend a few months there to really understand.

I left Ottawa in 1988. I couldn't see myself living there in that environment the rest of my life. Plus it is very hard to make friends there. At least, I found that to be the case. I think it's the culture of the government bureaucrats which permeates society at large.

The winters are BRUTAL. My last winter in Ottawa I recall the temps fell as far down as -56 C. The pipes froze in my brick house. As I mentioned in another DL thread, from hanging around the diplomatic community years ago, I know that the German diplomats consider Ottawa a Hardship Post. I guess that means more pay, and shorter postings.

Ottawa is not everyone's cup of tea, that's for sure.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 74December 30, 2017 12:24 AM

I lived in Gatineau, QC briefly after college. R26 and R74 sum it up accurately. It’s sort of similar to saying “I want to move to Albany” except that Albany is warmer and has a concert hall (The Egg). I decided I never want to live in a city full of civil servants again.

by Anonymousreply 75December 30, 2017 12:38 AM

Swastika is in Northern Ontario

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 76December 30, 2017 12:41 AM

What’s up with this “no concert hall” meme?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 77December 30, 2017 1:10 AM

It's a great place to raise children or retire as it's extremely safe and quiet. No good clubs (straight or gay). Driving distance to Toronto, Montreal and U.S. border is a big plus.

by Anonymousreply 78December 30, 2017 1:37 AM

It sounds like Columbus, Ohio (or any number of other state capitals) with a better downtown. Not a complement.

by Anonymousreply 79December 30, 2017 1:53 AM

It's a lot better Macedonia, OP. You should emigrate.

by Anonymousreply 80December 30, 2017 1:56 AM

It's the Athens of Central Ontario!

by Anonymousreply 81December 30, 2017 2:00 AM

Well Ottawa has Montreal on its doorstep, r79. A bit of Europe or France, if you like.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 82December 30, 2017 2:04 AM

When I think cold I think of places like Buffalo or Minnesota, but the fact that y'all live north of these places is kinda crazy.

by Anonymousreply 83December 30, 2017 2:06 AM

As an introvert, Ottawa is great for me.

I value a long life, so Ottawa helps with that.

But I am English-only/anglophone, so I've decided to getting the hell out as soon as I can after graduation and start of new career. Arrived a decade ago.

Its nice, just unexciting. Except behind those closed doors, of course.

by Anonymousreply 84December 30, 2017 2:08 AM

r84 Just say you speak English, enough with the anglophone Canadian BS.

by Anonymousreply 85December 30, 2017 2:16 AM

R85 - I always heard Angie. I was also called a Cankee.

by Anonymousreply 86December 30, 2017 5:08 AM

Where do the hot whores hang out?

by Anonymousreply 87December 30, 2017 5:11 AM

Justin Trudeau lives there.

In summer, he hangs out at the local surf shop

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 88December 30, 2017 5:13 AM

It's a horrible capital city. Unlike most nations which put their capital city in it's own special district, not part of any state or subdivision, Canada which is just really Ontario, emphasizes this by placing its capital in a place that is for all intents and purposes the only place that counts.

When the Quebec suburb of Hull was annexed, it lost the name identity and was changed to Gatineau, Quebec, Although Hull was the oldest and most central of the merged cities, the name Gatineau was chosen for the new city. This was because the French as asshole in France and bigger asslicks in Canada.

by Anonymousreply 89December 30, 2017 6:09 AM

I never understood why Canadians give so much power to Ontario. It's like you have Ontario, the real Canada, then you have Quebec. which is France Jr with a complex, the tag along red haired step provinces east of it, including Newfoundland the bastard province only accepted into it through shame. Then you have on the other side of Ontario, all points west, with Alberta providing the money and Vancouver as Asia west.

by Anonymousreply 90December 30, 2017 7:27 AM

A large part of the problem is population. Canada, despite its huge land mass, has a relatively small population of 36 Million. Most of the population hugs the U.S. border. The U.S. has a population of 323 Million. The aging population is becoming a significant concern (I just read this week the Canadian government is dropping the bilingual requirement for Immigration).

The inhospitable weather has most likely played a part in not attracting and retaining huge amounts of people. That aside, I live in Atlantic Canada (the poorer counsin) and the prospect of staying here (as I head towards retirement) is likely not good for many reasons (doctor shortage etc). Newfoundland is in worse shape when it comes to demographics.

Canadians have had to congregate in regions in order to survive. Ontario used to be the big and primary economic engine in Canada but it has been in decline for years now.

I don't think there's a perfect country to live in anymore if you look around and read the news. I've lived overseas and traveled extensively, and I can still say Canada is the best place to live. This probably doesn't explain very well the continued country-wide fixation on Ottawa maintaining its allure or reputation as the beaucratic hub for Canada but from what I can see, this hasn't changed and will likely never change.

This regionalisation creates a sense of parochialism, 'not quite with the times' when you visit various places. But it's more a function of economically distressed circumstances in many parts of the country and the legacy of living on federal government $$ for employment.

As I say there are worse places to live.

by Anonymousreply 91December 30, 2017 12:21 PM

Ontario still is the big and primary economic engine in Canada.

by Anonymousreply 92December 30, 2017 12:34 PM

R92 Exactly, Ontario took over from Quebec when the province adopted the most racist language laws that have ever existed. No wonder Anglophones fled the province, I would have done too. Who would stay somewhere they're not wanted?

by Anonymousreply 93December 30, 2017 12:59 PM

The Bore Compleat.

by Anonymousreply 94December 30, 2017 1:18 PM

[quote]I live in Atlantic Canada (the poorer counsin) and the prospect of staying here (as I head towards retirement) is likely not good for many reasons (doctor shortage etc)

It was easier to get a doctor and healthcare in Halifax, NS than in Montreal. Two million people in Quebec do not have a family doctor. It isn't even easy to get a clinic visit. In general, three weeks or more to see an ophthalmologist . I am thinking of moving back to NS for the health care.

by Anonymousreply 95December 30, 2017 1:18 PM

[quote]I never understood why Canadians give so much power to Ontario

They were never given a choice.

by Anonymousreply 96December 30, 2017 1:20 PM

Ontario didn't take over from Quebec because of a resurgent Quebecois identity, it had been happening for decades before that. It's stock exchange was larger by the 1940s and it's proximity to the industrial Midwest made it more attractive for business. It was happening anyway.

by Anonymousreply 97December 30, 2017 1:43 PM

No, Montreal was the top city for business and everything before Quebec nationalism of the 70s. Numerous companies left or moved their head office to Toronto/Ontario.

by Anonymousreply 98December 30, 2017 1:46 PM

There are currently 100,000 people on the Official Wait List for doctors in Nova Scotia, r95. That doesn't include people who aren't registered.

Another startling figure for you to consider, r95 is that 50% of doctors in Dartmouth are slated to retire in the 5 years.

The Province and Health Authority have done practically zilch to address this situation. It's fair to say it is now a full-blown crisis. It's in the newspapers every day, evening broadcasts, visitors going to the press to complain about their horror stories in hospitals, etc.

Here's the kicker - the Premier of Nova Scotia has just announced his interest in running for his 3 or whatever term.

by Anonymousreply 99December 30, 2017 5:12 PM

2 million is still more, R99

Quebec seems to be doing even less - they are pushing people to go private. My info is up-do-date as I lived in NS last year. I know of the cuts to everything in NS. It seems worse and there are more people in Montreal. Montreal is literally falling apart and it used to be a nice city.

If NS wants more people they should recruit from the rest of Canada. I am sure there are people fed up in Ontario and BC and want out. The govt in NS does not have vision or any idea of self-preservation. It does not matter which party is elected. Then they get bossed around by the feds, when they aren't treated with indifference. The marijuana thing will be big disaster for NS. Mass immigration would also be. All they have is social cohesion.

by Anonymousreply 100December 30, 2017 5:20 PM

[quote]Here's the kicker - the Premier of Nova Scotia has just announced his interest in running for his 3 or whatever term

And I bet he will get re-elected.

by Anonymousreply 101December 30, 2017 5:21 PM

The Premier was interviewed last night on the evening news and said selling pot in NS starting in July through liquor outlets is the best way to do it. LOL!!, r100.

The bureaucrats don't have the first clue how to address the doctor crisis. There are no incentives for doctors to come when they are paid so much more elsewhere. My own doctor who suddenly up and quit (gave his two weeks notice) told me he couldn't even lure his daughter to from the U.K. to take over his practice in Halifax.

Yes, McNeil will get re-elected, r101. Let the dysfunction continue!

by Anonymousreply 102December 30, 2017 5:33 PM

[quote] just read this week the Canadian government is dropping the bilingual requirement for Immigration).

How about this? "Canada is the new Brooklyn."

by Anonymousreply 103December 30, 2017 5:34 PM

[quote]Yes, McNeil will get re-elected, [R101]. Let the dysfunction continue!

Yes, dysfunction is the word for it. Pot will add to the dysfunction, big time. I actually think it could ruin the place.

NS could have been a beautiful paradise if it was well-run...

The rest of Canada seems to be going to hell even faster, though.

If you leave NS where will you go?

by Anonymousreply 104December 30, 2017 5:37 PM

[quote] the Canadian government is dropping the bilingual requirement for Immigration)

Do you have a link for this?

by Anonymousreply 105December 30, 2017 5:39 PM

More Liberal voters, r103!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 106December 30, 2017 5:42 PM

I can't seem to find any link, r105. It was on CBC News Halifax this past week. It was "buried" in an article and the language change caught my eye. I read it twice and thought "Wow." I then thought the federal government must be desperate for immigrants. That was my immediate reaction.

by Anonymousreply 107December 30, 2017 5:51 PM

What is with the Canadian love for the first name Gordon?

by Anonymousreply 108December 30, 2017 5:56 PM

I'm from Ontario (Ottawa) originally, r104. While I consider NS home, I could easily slip back into Ottawa's "boring, humdrum" environment without too much drama. I can't be the only wondering the future holds here.

Just to give you a glimpse of the dysfunction, here's a pretty telling article on the state of affairs.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 109December 30, 2017 5:58 PM

[quote] I then thought the federal government must be desperate for immigrants. That was my immediate reaction.

They aren't desperate for them, but they are very much for more and more immigration. It is a voting block for them. It's like they want to get rid of the other population, or outnumber them

by Anonymousreply 110December 30, 2017 6:05 PM

I searched, R107. That would instantly light a fire for Quebec separation if it were true.

And be obvious also that they want to destroy any kind of Canadian cohesion

by Anonymousreply 111December 30, 2017 6:07 PM

I said the same thing, r110. "Liberal Votes."

by Anonymousreply 112December 30, 2017 6:07 PM

R109, that is typical of certain govt types there and elsewhere in the country. Hey remember the former mayor of Halifax and the fishy money dealings when he left? There was even something with someone who had died...?

by Anonymousreply 113December 30, 2017 6:09 PM

R112, It truly is a plan for Liberal votes. The Liberal party knows it, and their voting bloc knows it as well. I do not think most of the population realize this is actually true.

by Anonymousreply 114December 30, 2017 6:11 PM

Peter Kelly, after being found guilty of spending unbudgeted money as CAO for Westlock County in Alberta is now CAO for Charlottetown.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 115December 30, 2017 6:16 PM

Yes, R115. that is him. Peter Kelly! I think he did a stint in the West, too. He pulls this crap anywhere he can get away with it. I think the govts are so dysfunctional they don't notice him for a while.

by Anonymousreply 116December 30, 2017 6:26 PM

What "bilingualism" requirement? Do people mean French OR English?

There is no requirement that immigrants speak both.

by Anonymousreply 117December 30, 2017 6:30 PM

Good point, R117. There is no "bilingualism" requirement. Did the person mean dropping French? I think this would spark outrage in Quebec. I think there is some confusion there. I did not see it in a search.

by Anonymousreply 118December 30, 2017 6:32 PM

And now for a commercial break - just for r108.

-- By Gordon Lightfoot

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 119December 30, 2017 6:50 PM

It's the most boring place in Canada. Just run with that. On the upside though you can skate to work in the winter. Really.

by Anonymousreply 120December 31, 2017 1:40 AM

And eat Beaver Tails as you skate!, r120.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 121December 31, 2017 1:51 AM

I don't know the requirements to be an MD in Canada, but they started making it very hard to qualify in the US back in the late 19th century, so they had to import many foreign MDs to serve the poor. The same happened in the UK and Aus/NZ.

by Anonymousreply 122December 31, 2017 1:55 PM

Far too many cheese infested dicks.

by Anonymousreply 123December 31, 2017 7:02 PM

R107 Canada has always been "desperate" for immigrants. Harper even increased immigration. They do it to drive GDP growth.

by Anonymousreply 124December 31, 2017 7:37 PM

They are doing it for other reason now

by Anonymousreply 125December 31, 2017 7:38 PM

The Byward Market in Ottawa is great--if you want to be stabbed.

by Anonymousreply 126March 6, 2018 11:51 AM

They finally have a metro. I guess this means they're a big city now.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 127September 23, 2019 7:55 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!