Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Papillon (1973)

I just watched this movie on TCM. It was fabulous!

And Steve McQueen was magnificent. Now THAT was acting.

Deserved an Academy Award for Best Picture and Best Actor.

The Academy was clearly on crack that year.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 12February 22, 2019 1:49 AM

Robert Deman who played the gay character was sexy as fuck!

He would be hot in any era!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 1February 20, 2017 4:23 AM

Any information on Robert Deman?

Not much there on his wiki page.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 2February 20, 2017 4:24 AM

isn't that Kerry Degman? R1

by Anonymousreply 3February 20, 2017 4:26 AM

Dustin Hoffman was supposedly very mad about the film (and himself) being over looked.

If you watch his win for Kramer Versus Kramer he starts off by saying he's been critical of the academy. This was supposedly the source of that criticism.

(he was a total hypocrite though, after he won for Kramer he became a big Academy supporter and happily campaigned for Tootsie a few years later.)

by Anonymousreply 4February 20, 2017 4:53 AM

Too bad the book was mostly made up.

by Anonymousreply 5February 20, 2017 11:17 AM

Even if it was fiction R5, doesn't make it any less good of a film.

Steve McQueen did a fantastic job as Papillon.

by Anonymousreply 6February 20, 2017 4:22 PM

DO NOT bother watching the remake unless you are a hardcore Charlie Hunnam fan (he is in great shape and handsome). If you've seen the original, this movie is so generic and emotionless - you feel nothing for the characters. Steve and Dustin had enough charisma that you felt for their plight. CH is not the actor to carry the many long scenes in solitary confinement.

by Anonymousreply 7February 21, 2019 4:48 PM

It was so depressing. But it should have been nominated over most Best Pictures:

The Sting – Tony Bill, Julia Phillips and Michael Phillips, producersdouble-dagger

American Graffiti – Francis Ford Coppola, producer; Gary Kurtz, co-producer

Cries and Whispers – Ingmar Bergman, producer

The Exorcist – William Peter Blatty, producer

A Touch of Class – Melvin Frank, producer

by Anonymousreply 8February 21, 2019 4:52 PM

McQueen was THE QUEEN. Fabulous movie. also, after hearing those women talk about the shit Hoffman pulled on them years ago Dustin can go to the dustbin now. i lost all respect for him and YES i believe what they said.

by Anonymousreply 9February 21, 2019 5:00 PM

I still need to see this version.

The new one with Rami Malek and gorgeous Charlie Hunnam is absolutely heartbreaking.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 10February 21, 2019 5:29 PM

The remake is on Amazon Prime now.

by Anonymousreply 11February 21, 2019 5:32 PM

The fictionalized "memoir" is a great read, I couldn't put it down. There's a sequel called Banco, which is about his life in Venezuela after the escape, and is probably closer to the facts than Papillon was. I loved the McQueen-Hoffman movie as a kid. Devil's Island is now uninhabited.

by Anonymousreply 12February 22, 2019 1:49 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!