Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Diana Ross in 'Lady Sings the Blues"

A masterful turn by an exceptionally brilliant artist. Oscar worthy. She should've won (Sorry Liza. You was cute, but no match for Ross.)

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 95January 23, 2018 9:49 PM

What made her performance so good was that she didn't outright copy Holliday's vocal style, which could have been hit or miss. Instead she found a middle road between her own pop voice and Holliday's. The movie was more about the essence of who Holliday was and the trials she went through.

The people who criticize LSTB and Ross for not being realistic enough somehow find no fault with Funny Girl, where Streisand doesn't even attempt to sound like or emulate Fanny Brice.

by Anonymousreply 1February 11, 2017 11:07 PM

What made Ross exceptional were her exposed raw nerves.

The best debut by an actress ever.

by Anonymousreply 2February 11, 2017 11:16 PM

And the Oscar that year actually should have gone to... Cicely Tyson. Cicely Tyson. Sorry, OP.

by Anonymousreply 3February 11, 2017 11:19 PM

R3 Bitch, Cicely was earnest, as always, but no dice.

by Anonymousreply 4February 11, 2017 11:21 PM

I think Dave Marsh said that she did updated versions of the songs, sort of Motown meets Billie Holliday. Pauline Kael found fault with her vocal performances in that she thought her renditions were too similar to Hollidays and blurred their memory, which is totally bizarre logic, but hey, it's Kael. Ross was great, even in the early scenes as a young girl and very believable as a jaded diva, a role she knew well.

by Anonymousreply 5February 11, 2017 11:28 PM

She was robbed of that Oscar.

by Anonymousreply 6February 11, 2017 11:31 PM

Nobody knew what Fanny Brice sounded like, R1.

by Anonymousreply 7February 11, 2017 11:48 PM

How stupid are you, R7?

by Anonymousreply 8February 11, 2017 11:50 PM

Diana Ross was excellent in Lady Sings the Blues. But Liza was outstanding in Cabaret and deserved to win. The Oscar was awarded to the right person.

by Anonymousreply 9February 12, 2017 2:06 AM

r7, there are tons and tons and tons of recordings of Fanny Brice singing. She was also in several films, including "The Great Ziegfeld," where she sings "My Man."

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 10February 12, 2017 2:30 AM

I've seen "Lady Sings The Blues." I've seen "Cabaret." I've seen "Sounder." Cicely Tyson should have won. She totally deserved it.

by Anonymousreply 11February 12, 2017 2:37 AM

I mean the average suburbanite kid didn't know Brice from Pola Negri. I knew what she sounded like because I went out of my way - to the library in fact - to find her old records and listen to them. While I was cooking breakfast for the one I loved.

by Anonymousreply 12February 12, 2017 2:47 AM

R12, my kind of guy.

by Anonymousreply 13February 12, 2017 2:51 AM

R12 The average suburbanite kid has no idea what Billie Holliday sounded like either, (or has even heard of her.)

by Anonymousreply 14February 12, 2017 3:51 AM

Ross would have won had Motown's Berry Gordy not over-lobbied Hollywood for her to win. It just went overboard.

by Anonymousreply 15February 12, 2017 3:56 AM

Funny Girl was a musical based on the life of a performer. Lady Sings the Blues was a biography which featured the music of its protagonist. Apples and oranges.

by Anonymousreply 16February 12, 2017 4:37 AM

You guys are kidding, right? She was laughably bad as an actress.

by Anonymousreply 17February 12, 2017 5:10 AM

When you have two great performances competing, like Liza and Diana, they usually give the Oscar to the one that's in the better movie. Diana Ross was great, but Lady Sings the Blues was mostly mediocre, only worth it for Ross's performance. Cabaret, however, was an instant classic and has risen to iconic status. That's why Liza won.

by Anonymousreply 18February 12, 2017 5:15 AM

I hate Liza and I hate Fosse.

Cabaret was trendy 70s auteur shit.

I wish they had made a movie of the Broadway musical.

Long Live Jill Haworth!

by Anonymousreply 19February 12, 2017 5:19 AM

They always givit tuh tha white.

by Anonymousreply 20February 12, 2017 5:55 AM

Kah-WEENS!

by Anonymousreply 21February 12, 2017 6:06 AM

There's always that one, R19.

by Anonymousreply 22February 12, 2017 7:30 AM

I'd have went with Cicely. Ross was good for a film debut but I always knew it was her playing dress up in the movie which ultimately made me realize she was unconvincing.

by Anonymousreply 23February 12, 2017 4:12 PM

The Academy wasn't ready to give the Oscar to a black woman, that's why she loss to Liza Minnelli.

by Anonymousreply 24February 12, 2017 4:22 PM

What an Oscar moment that would have been, Cicely Tyson winning the best actress Oscar, the first black woman to do so. And she would have been completely deserving, not like Halle Berry, whose performance in "Monster's Ball", was laughably bad.

by Anonymousreply 25February 12, 2017 4:24 PM

[quote]I'd have went with Cicely.

Oh, dear.

by Anonymousreply 26February 12, 2017 4:31 PM

LSTB was a better movie than Cabaret. Dianna was a B; Liza, a C. Both played dress up to anextent. Liza is always overblown, a ham , stretching too far. They shulda shared it. Cabaret isdumb and lacks a storyline. And I HATE Joel Grey...that is not acting, just him being the naturl queen he is. ugh yuck

by Anonymousreply 27February 12, 2017 4:36 PM

Sounder was the story about a boy and his dog. The characters of the parents were secondary, so Tyson should have been placed in the supporting category and probably win. And Winfield's role was even smaller.

by Anonymousreply 28February 12, 2017 7:27 PM

I agree R19

by Anonymousreply 29February 12, 2017 7:42 PM

"Sounder was the story about a boy and his dog. The characters of the parents were secondary."

Not really. The parents in the story were very vivid characters. It was the story of a family, not "a boy and his dog."

by Anonymousreply 30February 12, 2017 9:50 PM

Bump

by Anonymousreply 31February 19, 2017 10:03 PM

Ross was good, even very good, but Liza was great. No contest there. Lady was a good film, Cabaret a classic.

I confess I haven't seen Sounder since it was on TV when I was a kid, but then who else has, either? There's a clue right there.

by Anonymousreply 32February 19, 2017 10:09 PM

R7, few other than jazz devotees/people 45+ knew what Billie Holiday sounded like in 1972 either.

"Pauline Kael found fault with her vocal performances in that she thought her renditions were too similar to Hollidays..."

I remember reading her review again after I learned a lot about Billie Holiday, and I though that Kael (one of my favorites) was tone-deaf. Sort of like when Roger Ebert while reviewing that tripe bio-pic, Beyond the Sea, said that Kevin Spacey is a better singer than Bobby Darin.

by Anonymousreply 33February 19, 2017 10:15 PM

"Cabaret" and :"Lady Sings The Blues" were flamboyant movies about flamboyant people "Sounder" was the story of a sharecropper family trying to survive. That's probably why people are more familiar with the former than the latter. But "Sounder" was just as good. And Cicely's Tyson's performance was definitely superior that that of Liza Minnelli and Diana Ross. She was perfect.

by Anonymousreply 34February 19, 2017 10:29 PM

Any acclaim Ross garnered for "Lady Sings the Blues" was immediately erased by the laughably dreadful "Mahogany" and multiplied by the disastrously unsuccessful "The Wiz."

by Anonymousreply 35February 19, 2017 11:29 PM

R35, you could say the same for Minnelli when she did the triple turkeys, "Lucky Lady", "A Matter of Time" and "NYNY."

by Anonymousreply 36February 19, 2017 11:34 PM

Meh. The movie was very loosely based on Holiday's notoriously inaccurate ghost-written autobiography. Plus, her abusive last husband Louis McKay (a real scumbag) was a consultant on the film.

It has very little to do with the real life of Billie Holiday.

by Anonymousreply 37February 19, 2017 11:41 PM

[R36] - I've always felt NYNY will be reappraised favorably at some point. At the time I thought it was a realistic Star is Born (far superior to that Esther Hoffman's!). Heightened production design, but realistic in the ups and downs of their lives and careers. You're SO right, though, about those other two unfortunates.

by Anonymousreply 38February 19, 2017 11:43 PM

Yes, you could.

by Anonymousreply 39February 19, 2017 11:44 PM

^^^^ reply to r36

by Anonymousreply 40February 19, 2017 11:45 PM

[quote]"Cabaret" and :"Lady Sings The Blues" were flamboyant movies about flamboyant people "Sounder" was the story of a sharecropper family trying to survive.

And yet "Sounder" was the only one of the three to have a gay actor play one of the leading roles.

by Anonymousreply 41February 20, 2017 12:45 AM

People who don't consider Ross brilliant here are deaf, dumb and blind.

by Anonymousreply 42February 20, 2017 12:53 AM

The Academy was going to deny Judy Garland's and Vincent Minnelli's daughter the Oscar? No. But the best part was--Liza deserved it. She was the Best Actress that year. Diana Ross was great. It was a tough call, but Liza was the best.

by Anonymousreply 43February 20, 2017 1:08 AM

Call her MISS Ross!

by Anonymousreply 44February 20, 2017 1:10 AM

Diana was riveting in this. She should've been the first black actress to win the Oscar.

by Anonymousreply 45February 20, 2017 1:47 AM

[quote]She should've been the first black actress to win the Oscar.

You're saying I didn't deserve mine, boy?

by Anonymousreply 46February 20, 2017 2:00 AM

R46 You won Supporting, dear.

by Anonymousreply 47February 20, 2017 2:09 AM

I agree that Cicely's performance was the best. LSTB was a wildly uneven film. That includes portions of Diana's performance. The direction and cinematography were atrocious. The real gem they ignored was Richard Pryor as Piano Man. He was brilliant.

by Anonymousreply 48February 20, 2017 2:14 AM

R48 What portions of Ross' performance were uneven?

by Anonymousreply 49February 20, 2017 2:16 AM

Some of her SceneKit with Billy Dee. I also found her unemotional and wooden in her non-druggie scenes with other actors.

by Anonymousreply 50February 20, 2017 2:18 AM

Excuse me, some of her SCENES WITH....

by Anonymousreply 51February 20, 2017 2:19 AM

R50 No.

by Anonymousreply 52February 20, 2017 2:22 AM

R52 YES!!!

by Anonymousreply 53February 20, 2017 2:22 AM

R53 You're too cute, lol.

by Anonymousreply 54February 20, 2017 2:24 AM

"But the best part was--Liza deserved it. She was the Best Actress that year. "

No, she wasn't. She was just playing herself, her loony, nutty self. There was no acting involved.

by Anonymousreply 55February 20, 2017 2:35 AM

R55 Exactly.

by Anonymousreply 56February 20, 2017 2:36 AM

R55, she gave a stirring performance in "Sterile Cuckoo" but again, she was playing herself. The star of Cabaret and even Liza With a Z was Fosse, a fact proven by Liza being unable to replicate those artistic successes under any other director.

by Anonymousreply 57February 20, 2017 2:45 AM

R47 -- R45 just says "black actress." And Hattie was the first black actress to win an Oscar.

by Anonymousreply 58February 20, 2017 5:34 AM

Drone on about Diana all you'd like. She was wonderful especially for her first movie. However, Liza was the outstanding one that year. It was an iconic performance that has endured and was a milestone in the history of film.

by Anonymousreply 59February 20, 2017 9:37 AM

Tyson was a supporting actress in Sounder. She didn't have many scenes. As much as I adore Cabaret, Sounder is probably a better movie.

by Anonymousreply 60February 21, 2017 7:11 PM

Iconic.

by Anonymousreply 61June 30, 2017 8:01 AM

You freaking linked the entire movie??

by Anonymousreply 62June 30, 2017 8:11 AM

R62 You're the mirror....

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 63June 30, 2017 8:15 AM

Lmao.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 64June 30, 2017 8:17 AM

Yes!

by Anonymousreply 65June 30, 2017 8:42 AM

I do not like Diana Ross, but LSTB is a great film andshe is great in it. Cabaret seems tiresome to watch now, esp. overacting Joel Grey. Liza is kind of the same in all her movies.

by Anonymousreply 66July 1, 2017 3:11 AM

R66 I love you.

by Anonymousreply 67July 1, 2017 3:13 AM

I like Audra McDonald's Billie Holiday better, to be honest. But LSTB has that 70s camp factor.

by Anonymousreply 68July 1, 2017 3:19 AM

R68 You're insane.

by Anonymousreply 69July 1, 2017 3:28 AM

I've been reading about Billie Holiday lately for some reason. The movie "Lady Sings The Blues" is pretty much fiction, as was the book of the same name. She hired a hack writer to whip up an autobiography because she needed the money. It started out with these lines 'Mom and Pop were just a couple of kids when they got married. He was eighteen, she was seventeen and I was three." Actually when Billie Holiday was born her mother was nineteen and her father was seventeen and they never married, never even lived together. That was just one of the fabrications in that book.

Billie Holiday had a weakness for alcohol, drugs and awful men. Her second husband, Louis McKay, was typical of her fondness for bad boys. He beat her up and spent her money; he wasn't even good looking. But he was portrayed in "Lady Sings The Blues" by the handsome Billie Dee Williams and is depicted as a good influence in her life who keeps trying to save her. Louis McKay was a "technical advisor" on that movie, so it stands to reason that he'd try to make himself look as appealing as possible.

I thought Diana Ross was an odd choice to play Holiday. She seems nothing like her, either musically or physically. I never bought skinny little Diana Ross as the buxom Billie Holiday; although big, Holiday was much more beautiful than Ross. And of course Ross sounds nothing like Holiday, either.

"Lady Sings The Blues" was an entertaining movie, but a very inaccurate depiction of Billie Holiday's life. A black writer named Farah Griffin describes the film as "a post-Black Power fantasy of a beautiful, talented, but weak and childish woman, who is rescued time and again by a strong, supportive, wealthy, handsome black man. When Diana Ross as Holiday is kicking her habit cold turkey in a padded cell Billy Dee William's McKay comes in with a doctor who injects her with something to make the going a little easier, and then her black knight slips and engagement ring on her finger. This is just the incentive she needs to pull her out of the nightmare. He pays for her time in a sanitarium, he arranges for her debut at a downtown club, he keeps her supplied with gardenias and he rescues her time and again. None of this ever happened."

by Anonymousreply 70July 1, 2017 4:08 AM

R70 I don't think anyone who knew about Billie expected it to be a total accurate biopic. I did a little research on the movie when it came out with the help of my folks. Most biopics take many liberties for dramatic effect. I still think Diana was great in it and Mahogany. The Supremes were also a great girl group, and the Motown sound holds up. Love that stuff.

by Anonymousreply 71July 1, 2017 7:55 AM

Nobody "knew" Billie.

Ross was perfection.

by Anonymousreply 72July 1, 2017 7:58 AM

I thought Diana was very good in this role, especially considering that she wasn't a greatly skilled actress at that time.

by Anonymousreply 73July 1, 2017 8:25 AM

I was a little Queenie boy from the Great Plains and I was so excited to see Diana in this. I loved her so. I did not know shit about Billie Holiday but because of the film I sought her music out and became a fan. They were smart to let her do her own style, I don't think it would have worked if she tried to do an imitation. Of course, I thought she was fabulous and probably saw it 3 or 4 times. Dragging someone new to witness the splendor of Diana. Even as a young teen I think I kind of recognized she was uneven. Great in some scenes, actually awful in others. When Mahogany came out I realized she was not a very good actress. But the story, rest of the cast (Pryor was awesome) and dazzle of the rest of the film still made it a good movie.

But if they actually placed AA winners it would have been Tyson 1st, Minelli 2nd and Ross 3rd.

by Anonymousreply 74July 1, 2017 8:29 AM

Liza couldn't piss on Ross' shit.

by Anonymousreply 75July 1, 2017 10:31 AM

It's the pills.

by Anonymousreply 76July 1, 2017 10:32 AM

Another iconic turn.

by Anonymousreply 77July 5, 2017 11:45 PM

It was a vehicle for Diana Ross and that's all it was. Here's a movie review of it from Slate and it's spot on:

Berry Gordy’s gift to Diana Ross—his very favorite, very personal piece of Motown property—was this lavish, bloated Billie Holiday biopic, surely the recipient of the most degrading Pauline Kael review to nonetheless include the phrase “I loved it.” Lady Sings the Blues is almost two-and-a-half hours of Call-Her-Miss Lady Day in close-up, with half that running time devoted to Ross’s irreverent interpretations of Holiday standards and the other half occupied by what Roger Ebert then proclaimed “this is acting!” (In other words, read his eruption as a quantitative statement, not qualitative.) It’s an amateur star performance-as-Stanislavski mail order catalog: a powerhouse of Method-ology (born more from a lack of acting experience than pop singers’ already refined sense of emotive abandon), complete with ingénue tics, a self-conscious display of age range, tentative ad-libs, flailing limbs, leaky eyes, precariously receding eyelids. Diana Ross’s performance manages to simultaneously call to mind Dancer in the Dark‘s Björk, for self-immolative martyrdom, and pre-Being Bobby Brown‘s Whitney Houston for that sleight-of-vocal trick, trying to pass off her lack of vocal soulfulness with a fizzy, grunting stream of jazz-babble. So while Ross’s fairly maligned renditions of “Strange Fruit” and “God Bless The Child” (in which she manages to mistake interpretation for doggedly remaining an entire phrase behind the orchestra) are one-note, her performance is practically in 12-tone. Unfortunately, director Sidney J. Furie’s film is a flabby soap opera with a chiffon (or should that be The Chiffons?) music score by Michel Legrand, which Kael rightly discerned was the sort of loveable loser take on Holiday’s life story that would skew audience sympathies her way. Hence, her heroin addiction both emerges as a reasonable reaction to a rough tour through KKK Southern states and also winds up indirectly causing the tragic, violent death of her loyal Piano Man (Richard Pryor) at the hands of mafia hit men. Still, it’s near impossible to actually feel sorry for Holiday as Ross and her 72 teeth portray her. Her triumphant concert at the stodgy, classical-snooty Carnegie Hall isn’t dedicated to Piano Man, nor to her long-suffering sensitive-gangster husband (Billy Dee Williams as the only guy who didn’t make her pick up dollar bills from tabletops with her thighs in her early cabaret days), nor even to that young black man she spots hanging like strange fruit from the Southern tree she meant to pee behind. As those un-Holiday raised arms attest, it’s all Ross up in there, her ego couched in a superimposed series of depressing headlines leading up to Holiday’s death at 44.

by Anonymousreply 78July 6, 2017 12:19 AM

I completely agree: Diana Ross should have won. I was astounded that, as a first time actress, she had such great chops. The transformation from a young girl to a woman was just so fantastic. I liked Tyson too, she's been acting for a long time.

by Anonymousreply 79July 6, 2017 12:24 AM

R79 Right? Only basic plebs disagree.

by Anonymousreply 80July 6, 2017 12:28 AM

Look people Ms. Ross picked up a 20 dollar bill in her cotchie in that movie. ! Liza's cotchie although talented in its own way was no match for Diane's!!!!

by Anonymousreply 81July 6, 2017 12:29 AM

Cicely Tyson should have won that year, no doubt about it. LIza Minnelli was just playing herself. Diana Ross was simply being Diana Ross in a star vehicle. Maggie Smith and Liv Ullman were good, but the best performance that year was definitely Tyson's. A shame she didn't win. She truly deserved it.

by Anonymousreply 82July 6, 2017 3:53 AM

"Diana Ross was simply being Diana Ross in a star vehicle."

One of the dumber comments I've read here in a long time.

by Anonymousreply 83July 6, 2017 3:58 AM

I guess the Academy voters felt otherwise ........

by Anonymousreply 84July 6, 2017 4:01 AM

R84 Yeah. She was black. They'd have to wait to give it to a black woman getting fucked by a white man.

Gotta get that white in there - pun ontended - somehow!

by Anonymousreply 85July 6, 2017 1:26 PM

"One of the dumber comments I've read here in a long time."

You're one of the dumber fangurls I've seen here in a long time. She was TERRIBLE as Lady Day. I get the impression you have no idea who Billie Holiday ever was. Maybe that's why you think Diana Ross was so wonderful in that shitty movie that in no way the life of Billie Holiday.

by Anonymousreply 86July 6, 2017 9:30 PM

Ross was perfection.

by Anonymousreply 87July 6, 2017 10:11 PM

Loved the LSTB soundtrack. I wore that thing out! That being said Liza was the right choice for the Oscar.

by Anonymousreply 88July 6, 2017 10:24 PM

R88 No.

by Anonymousreply 89July 6, 2017 10:25 PM

Let's remake it! Trace E. Ross and Sherri Hepherd as Lady! LeBron as her lover! Whoopi as her all knowing grandmother! Obama as the nightclub owner! and Jayden and Willow Smith as the Katzenjammer kids!

by Anonymousreply 90July 7, 2017 12:13 AM

Rewatching this. Diana Ross is dynamite.

by Anonymousreply 91January 23, 2018 5:15 AM

there was z-e-r-o chance anyone besides Liza May would win that year. In addition to putting in a spectacular performance, her family connection to tinseltown made for a story that couldn't be beat. Diana was great in Lady ( and she should really act more), but Liza's Sally Bowles was more deserving.

by Anonymousreply 92January 23, 2018 5:56 AM

Richard Pryor was the best thing in the movie.

by Anonymousreply 93January 23, 2018 7:25 AM

I never appreciated Liza but I saw both Cabaret and LSTB and Liza deserved her Oscar. Diana Ross was good but her performance was NOT Oscar worthy, no matter how much you big fans want to think so.

by Anonymousreply 94January 23, 2018 7:35 AM

Ross wipes the floor with Liza.

by Anonymousreply 95January 23, 2018 9:49 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!