Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Best book for a cozy winter night?

I did a search with the words: book, read, reading novel, fiction......and nothing came up so I've started this new thread.

My faves of the last couple of months are:

CHRISTODORA by Tim Murphy, a brilliantly written novel about New York City and the interlocking lives of the inhabitants of an East Village apartment house from the 1980s-2020 (yes, the future!). The blurbs compare it to Bonfire of the Vanities but it has so much more heart.

SWING TIME by Zadie Smith, the story of two black Englishwomen, a good girl and a bad girl, and how they navigate the 1980s-2000s, heavily influenced by the Golden Age Hollywood musicals they watched as kids on their VCRs. Like other Smith novels, it sometimes feels overwritten and badly edited but it's well worth the read.

DOCTOR THORNE by Anthony Trollope, the 3rd in the series of Barsetshire novels. Absolutely charming story and a comfort to read in these troubling modern times. The ITV adaptation by Julian Fellowes didn't get good reviews but it prompted me to go back to an old favorite author. Maybe I'll check it out now though the casting seems very off to me.

by Anonymousreply 55August 15, 2018 5:36 PM

The book I am currently reading: "Between A Heart And A Rock Place" by singer Pat Benatar. I love reading autobiographies and biographies and hers is yet another. 7 out of 10 so far. Good read.

by Anonymousreply 1January 25, 2017 1:21 AM

I'm reading [italic]Holy Disorders[/italic] by Edmund Crispin.

by Anonymousreply 2January 25, 2017 1:28 AM

Even fraus would be embarrassed to say "cozy winter night" in an unironic way

by Anonymousreply 3January 25, 2017 1:30 AM

I loved Christodora and Swing Time, OP. Other recent favorites have been Another Brooklyn and A Gentleman in Moscow.

by Anonymousreply 4January 25, 2017 1:33 AM

Did anyone else read THE SELLOUT? It is the first American novel EVER to win the Booker. It had humorous moments and was original but I didn't get it. I think there must be a lot of LA inside stuff.

by Anonymousreply 5January 25, 2017 1:36 AM

I thought I'd love Zadie Smith because she's a fantastic interview. But, I read her first two books and really didn't like them. I guess the stories were decent, but the writing was aggravating.

by Anonymousreply 6January 25, 2017 1:46 AM

Next up on my night table: No Fond Return of Love, Barbara Pym's last book before she quit writing for 16 years and was subsequently rediscovered.

by Anonymousreply 7January 25, 2017 1:54 AM

I love Pym. So few gays know her and she should be one of our icons. I've read all the novels but don't remember that one.

by Anonymousreply 8January 25, 2017 1:58 AM

Yeah, I thought I'd read all of Pym's novels in the 1980s but looking through my book shelves, found that one to be missing, so just ordered it on Amazon. Can't wait to start it!

by Anonymousreply 9January 25, 2017 2:08 AM

I ONCE HAD A MASTER by John Preston

by Anonymousreply 10January 25, 2017 2:16 AM

I went through my Gym phase in the 80s as well. I remember that I read them all at least twice. Except for QUARTET IN AUTUMN. Those characters were so skillfully drawn that they still haunt me.

by Anonymousreply 11January 25, 2017 2:17 AM

PYM not gym. Damned auto-correct.

by Anonymousreply 12January 25, 2017 2:18 AM

I'm reading CHRISTODORA right now and really enjoying it. I've lived in NYC since '81 as a high school grad and some of the parts are making me so melancholy. I know Tim a bit, he is very talented.

by Anonymousreply 13January 25, 2017 3:56 AM

I still have all of those beautifully produced little paperbacks from the 1980s of Pym's novels.

by Anonymousreply 14January 25, 2017 10:24 AM

I'm reading "Magical Urbanism: Latinos Reinvent the U.S. Big City" by Mike Davis. It dates from 2000

by Anonymousreply 15January 29, 2017 5:29 AM

R5, I loved The Sellout. I thought it was pretty brilliant.

by Anonymousreply 16January 29, 2017 6:33 AM

Just bought an old paperback of SHIP OF FOOLS by Katherine Anne Porter.

I read it in junior high when the film came out and remembering really enjoying it though I wonder if a lot of it went over my naïve little gay head. I'm looking forward to trying it again now that I'm older and smarter.

by Anonymousreply 17January 31, 2017 1:59 AM

Reading is so boring, why not just watch a good movie?

by Anonymousreply 18January 31, 2017 2:04 AM

The Shining

by Anonymousreply 19January 31, 2017 2:11 AM

THE TERRANAUTS by the great T.C. Boyle. Totally engrossing and laugh out loud funny at times.

by Anonymousreply 20January 31, 2017 2:15 AM

East of Eden. Steinbeck. Read it once 20 years ago. Damn it's good.

by Anonymousreply 21January 31, 2017 2:19 AM

R18 is a moron.

by Anonymousreply 22January 31, 2017 2:22 AM

I read the Sherlock Holmes mysteries every winter. The stories' atmosphere suits the gloomy weather.

by Anonymousreply 23January 31, 2017 2:23 AM

"Call me byYour Name" is stunning. I can't wait to read his other books.

by Anonymousreply 24January 31, 2017 3:16 AM

I'm really enjoying Joanne Harris' Five Quarters of the Orange. It's about children living in the countryside of France during WWII and how they unwittingly become involved in the Resistance. Very absorbing, a real page-turner once past the first 50 pages or so.

Harris is the author of Chocolat, though I haven't read that one. I did read her Gentlemen and Players, a thriller with some great twists I highly recommend.

by Anonymousreply 25February 11, 2017 8:30 PM

Anything Agatha Christie.

Preferably Miss Marple (A Datalounger by the wee.)

by Anonymousreply 26February 11, 2017 8:36 PM

R10, I read that when the cover looked like this. Except for one story I kept coming back to, it wasn't as hard-on-making as I anticipated. I gave it away before a move.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 27February 22, 2017 9:00 PM

Can anyone spare an FF for r18?

by Anonymousreply 28February 22, 2017 9:01 PM

R24 I loved "Call Me By Your Name". I'm usually disappointed in seeing movies that are based on books I have read but maybe this film will be the exception.

by Anonymousreply 29February 22, 2017 9:05 PM

What's a cozy winter night?

by Anonymousreply 30February 22, 2017 9:08 PM

As both a movie lover and a book lover, I'm currently reading Daphne Du Maurier's My Cousin Rachel in anticipation of the upcoming film version starring Rachel Weisz and Sam Claflin (I've not seen the 1952 version with Olivia de Havilland and Richard Burton -- will watch it after I've finished the book). So far, the book is marvelous.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 31February 22, 2017 9:35 PM

Blllllll

by Anonymousreply 32February 22, 2017 9:54 PM

Nancy Mitford, 'The Pursuit of Love' and 'Love in a Cold Climate.'

Alas, in NY, the weather itself has been too cozy for Feb....

by Anonymousreply 33February 22, 2017 10:06 PM

The Dark Tower by Stephen King

by Anonymousreply 34February 22, 2017 10:06 PM

R31, My Cousin Rachel is my favorite Du Maurier novel! I myself just watched the Olivia De Havilland version after looking for it for a while.

I had NO IDEA it was being remade! Wow!

If anyone here enjoys audiobooks, this one is narrated by Jonathan Pryce and he does a wonderful job.

by Anonymousreply 35February 22, 2017 10:08 PM

I love My Cousin Rachel. Two other very good du Maurier novels that need to receive more attention in the US: Jamaica Inn and The House on the Strand.

by Anonymousreply 36February 22, 2017 10:36 PM

Tender is the Night. F. Scott Fitzgerald. Complex. Easy to read.....excellent character development.

by Anonymousreply 37February 22, 2017 10:39 PM

DuMaurier has some great short stories, too

by Anonymousreply 38February 22, 2017 10:40 PM

R18 is Betsy deVos

by Anonymousreply 39February 22, 2017 10:42 PM

I just finished "The Nix" by Nathan Hill which was good. I have started "Lincoln in the Bardo" by George Saunders which is getting raves but I'm really not sold on it. I think Stephen King is a good read for winter, especially something long and really batshit fun like "The Tommyknockers."

by Anonymousreply 40February 22, 2017 10:47 PM

I couldn't finish The Nix. It wasn't believable, as far as I got.

by Anonymousreply 41February 22, 2017 10:50 PM

Mary Astor's Purple Diary

by Anonymousreply 42February 22, 2017 11:43 PM

Lincoln In The Bardo

by Anonymousreply 43February 22, 2017 11:56 PM

[quote] I'm reading CHRISTODORA right now and really enjoying it. I've lived in NYC since '81 as a high school grad and some of the parts are making me so melancholy. I know Tim a bit, he is very talented.

I just read it and loved it!!! Met the author too. Highly reommended.

I also just read Stephen MaCauley's "Insignificant OThers". Short and good. I did NOT like "Man of the House" though by him.

by Anonymousreply 44February 23, 2017 12:11 AM

One of the first audiobooks I ever listened to was Jamaica Inn read by actor Trevor Eve.

by Anonymousreply 45February 23, 2017 12:26 AM

"A cozy winter night"

Sometimes it seems like we're hanging with a bunch of 40 year old spinsters in here.

by Anonymousreply 46February 23, 2017 1:35 AM

COZY COZY COZY R46

by Anonymousreply 47February 23, 2017 9:16 AM

[bold]GOODBYE, JANETTE[/bold] (1981) by Harold Robbins.

From the cover blurb:

[quote]With her keen instincts and rich sensuality Tanya Pojarska survived the fires of World War II and gained control of a vast fortune. Her two daughters inherited her beauty, her passion--and a legacy of pain and ambition. From a childhood of stark sexual terror, Janette rose to wealth and fame as a high-fashion goddess--while her half-sister Lauren plunged into a dazzling scene of international decadence that almost destroyed her.

The first 100 pages of this multi-generational novel feature heroine Tanya--a Polish countess who survives World War II (with babe Janette) as a German general's concubine; at war's end, however, the general must flee and Tanya must enter a marriage of finance/convenience with Maurice, a bisexual, monstrously well-endowed sadist with whom she shares control of assorted stolen companies; and when Maurice's S/M goes too far (he violently initiates Janette), Tanya tries to kill him and winds up dead. So gorgeous Janette and baby half-sister Lauren (fathered by one of Tanya's extramarital lovers) must fend for themselves.

Janette, now mostly lesbian, determines to turn the family business into a Paris fashion empire; she becomes the perfect mannequin (via surgery), a top model, head of her own company. Meanwhile Lauren grows up in California with foster-parents (the estate's executors), acquires a drug-dealer boyfriend, visits Janette, briefly stars in her sister's all-red fashion show. And when Janette runs into money problems, she sells Lauren in marriage to British aristocrat Patrick--a beautiful, bisexual masochist who digs Janette's sadism. If you like your sex steamy and your dialogue shocking ("Eat my cunt". . . "Stick it in her mouth, Jerry!"), you'll want to say Hello, Janette as soon as you can get a copy.

Needless to say, this was a huge bestseller at the time. The novel ranked seventh on the Publisher's Weekly bestseller list for 1981.

by Anonymousreply 48February 23, 2017 9:52 AM

R36, I agree. I love Jamaica Inn and House on the Strand as well. Du Maurier has a way with a sinister scene!

I have to reread both - thanks for reminding me. I just bought The King's General on Audible.

R38, YES! And they stay with you. I read one about incest years ago...and it really disturbed me. Also, some old stories were just discovered - did you read The Doll? Yikes.

by Anonymousreply 49February 23, 2017 4:43 PM

R48 I love Goodbye Janette but it's not for the faint of heart.

Starting in about 6th grade, I used to raid my grandmother's bookcase for juicy novels. Many were old classics of pop lit like Peyton Place and Valley of the Dolls but they weren't too shocking, given their reputations for scandal. Yes, Peyton Place - like Goodbye, Janette - had a stepfather who rapes his stepdaughter but in PP it was handled tastefully.

In the Robbins novel, wow! I was actually shocked out of my mind. Mind you, I was probably 13 at the time, but still...I can remember one section where Maurice, the stepfather, makes Janette dress up in lacy lingerie and her pubic hair is peeking out from the tiny panties. He says, "You've got a big, bushy whore's cunt just like your mother!"

I nearly dropped the book.

by Anonymousreply 50February 24, 2017 12:02 AM

Almost any Aggie Christie.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 51April 11, 2017 6:28 AM

Gravity's Rainbow

by Anonymousreply 52April 11, 2017 6:35 AM

[quote]"You've got a big, bushy whore's cunt just like your mother!"

I've got to work this into conversation some day.

by Anonymousreply 53April 11, 2017 6:41 AM

A Single Man by Christopher Isherwood.

by Anonymousreply 54August 11, 2018 11:39 AM

''This other Eden'' by Ben Elton

by Anonymousreply 55August 15, 2018 5:36 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!