Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Should i give a chance to 'Lunar Park' by Bret Easton Ellis?

Is this book more profound than 'Less Than Zero', or is it in the same category?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 24May 22, 2018 2:59 PM

Still waiting for your comments my studious kitties...

by Anonymousreply 1January 16, 2017 12:11 PM

I found it unreadable. Boring and pretentious. And I'd read and loved pretty much everything Ellis had written up to that point—including Glamorama.

I wouldn't bother.

by Anonymousreply 2January 16, 2017 1:02 PM

Sounds like a load of hooey.

by Anonymousreply 3January 16, 2017 4:42 PM

I read it. Breathed a sigh of relief when I got to the last page. Still not sure what on earth was going on in it.

by Anonymousreply 4January 16, 2017 4:52 PM

Thank you all for your replies

I won't read it!

by Anonymousreply 5January 16, 2017 6:40 PM

Bret sometimes talks about his past in his podcast. Isn't Lunar Park a sort of faux memoir from him? I never read it even though I adored Less Than Zero, The Rules of Attraction and American Psycho. I might actually catch up on his work at some point.

by Anonymousreply 6January 16, 2017 6:49 PM

I'm amazed you'd still want to read anything else he's written, r6, after listening to his podcast, which mainly consists of "Dear Guest, let me labour my point, which is usually a pretentious point, beyond any reasonable amount of time while you listen to me, then I'll pontificate some more while I ask you questions I don't want you to answer because I myself will as my own answers are so intellectually superior to yours, you know?"

I managed to rid myself of any vestige of interest I had in him or his work on finishing three podcasts. His snotty perverseness is unbearable.

by Anonymousreply 7January 16, 2017 10:04 PM

I have found everything of his since American Psycho unreadable--and that was only readable in a train-wreck, "A Little Life" kinda way for me. I know, I know...it's trenchant satire. That's what they say once the book flops as an actual novel.

by Anonymousreply 8January 16, 2017 10:11 PM

R7, if you've listened to his podcasts then you know he has his monologue at the beginning of each show. Yes, lots of words, doesn't bother me, it's his style. He's also totally fine with his guests, and at least in the podcasts I've listened to (I haven't gone through them all) he lets them talk freely. He does sometimes challenge them slightly but it's not like he's acting all cunty and declaring only he has the right point of view. It's Bret Easton Ellis interviewing people, not some no name journalist, so obviously he brings out his point of view as well.

One thing I don't care about after the alt-right Nazis won the election is that he likes to make fun of the SJW's. Obviously I can understand calling out some of the more ridiculous points some of the so-called SJW's make but I'm tired of hearing how wrong it is to act civil. We should be making fun of the alt-right Nazis, not of the people who are calling for more equality. Still, I'm sure Ellis is fully aware how dangerous people like Yannopoop are, especially now. And I mean obviously Ellis has always had a cunty style so it's not like I don't understand what he's doing. And just to make it clear I can be a total cunt myself as well but still I don't care about bullying those who are hopefully after making this shitty world more equal.

by Anonymousreply 9January 17, 2017 6:35 AM

Lunar Park is better than Glamorama was, like R2 wrote, but once you graduate high-school or start college, and hopefully graduate from a university or college, and become a successful adult, all of his novels and short stories tend to be poorly written, vapid, sensationalist coke fueled drivel that would never get published today.

by Anonymousreply 10May 21, 2018 12:40 AM
Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 11May 21, 2018 12:57 AM

OP it’s not 1989 anymore nobody reads his rambling pretentious 1980’s satirical shite these days. . You might as well cross Jay McInerney off your reading list also.

by Anonymousreply 12May 21, 2018 1:03 AM

art is dead, see r10

by Anonymousreply 13May 21, 2018 1:14 AM

He's really an awful writer. Don't let anyone ever try to tell you otherwise.

by Anonymousreply 14May 21, 2018 1:16 AM

He carries a grudge due to the way that feminists treated him after American Psycho was published, r9.

by Anonymousreply 15May 21, 2018 1:41 AM

Bret Easton Ellis must be desperate for cash, since for decades he wasted lots of money on cocaine and other expensive drugs, high rents living in NYC/L.A. for decades, and avoiding ever working a real job ever in his life. He's only worth $200 thousand according to that site.

His sequel to less than zero that was published in 2010 was laughably bad, and never should have been published.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 16May 21, 2018 9:29 AM

I hated it. As someone mentioned upthread, the minute you graduate college you realize how shallow and what a bad writer he is.

by Anonymousreply 17May 21, 2018 10:52 AM

^^I realize the irony of that post. I'm not awake yet.

by Anonymousreply 18May 21, 2018 10:53 AM

After viewing one of his podcasts, I would never go near a book of his.

Snarky, sophomoric, just sad...

by Anonymousreply 19May 21, 2018 11:41 AM

You're not really missing much R19. His novels and short stories are extremely dated, poorly written, would never get published now, and I'm not sure who is the worse writer Ellis or Dennis Cooper?

Ellis was given money for how Zoolander copied his novel Glamorama, but it's not known how much he was given or if it all went up his nose?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 20May 22, 2018 8:16 AM

anal warts also?

by Anonymousreply 21May 22, 2018 8:36 AM

Lunar Park isn't that bad. There are some very moving passages in it. Imperial Bedrooms was dreadful though.

by Anonymousreply 22May 22, 2018 8:48 AM

does he even write the dam books any more??

by Anonymousreply 23May 22, 2018 10:18 AM

Imperial Bedrooms is an incoherent mess. Much like BEE himself.

by Anonymousreply 24May 22, 2018 2:59 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!