Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Outed Telenovela Actor Takes A Stand Against Homophobic Attacks

A Brazilian telenovela star who was outed by tabloids and hit with homophobic cyberattacks is taking a stand against critics.

Rumors have long circulated about Brazilian soap star Leonardo Vieira—best known for soaps like Senhora do Destino, Prova de Amor and Caminhos do Coração—but it wasn’t confirmed until a photo of him kissing another man went viral in December.

Some fans congratulated Vieira, but he also received a slew of negative comments from trolls, who called him “pig” and “trash,” and declared “the world is lost.”

The 48-year-old has since said he was never really in the closet, noting that his conservative, Catholic family has known he was gay for decades and fully accepts him. He says he’s using the incident as an opportunity to affect change.

Vieira reported the online harassment to Brazil’s Human Rights Commission, and wrote an open letter to the press denouncing the attacks, saying, “I never felt like a criminal or to blame for being homosexual… the fact of being gay never hurt anyone, if anything it hurt myself.”

“Being a human being with good character—honest, loyal, loyal, polite, kind, generous and other qualities—is much more important than who you kiss or relate to sexually, regardless of whether you are male or female.”

We say whomever Viera chooses to share his life with is pretty lucky.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 16April 4, 2019 6:39 AM

Cool!

by Anonymousreply 1January 16, 2017 6:08 AM

by Anonymousreply 2January 16, 2017 8:35 AM

Bump

by Anonymousreply 3February 16, 2017 5:33 AM

□□■■

by Anonymousreply 4August 4, 2017 4:10 AM
by Anonymousreply 5April 20, 2018 2:33 AM

Good for him. Hope people there are more tolerant than some places here, like small towns in Kansas.

by Anonymousreply 6April 20, 2018 2:37 AM

I always shrug when actors say they were never really closeted. Eight times out of ten if you had asked them if they were gay they would not have said yes. But I suppose that depends on your definition of closeted.

by Anonymousreply 7April 20, 2018 3:07 AM

R7 I guess that is when the term "glass closet" comes into play. Thanks DL for exposing me to the term!

by Anonymousreply 8April 20, 2018 3:11 AM

[quote]We say whomever Viera chooses to share his life with is pretty lucky.

I volunteer!

by Anonymousreply 9April 20, 2018 3:29 AM

Very hot daddy!

by Anonymousreply 10April 20, 2018 3:56 AM

😶

by Anonymousreply 11August 5, 2018 2:59 AM

He is adorable -- that smile!

by Anonymousreply 12August 5, 2018 3:05 AM

Very cute smile. Disappointed to see he is in the cliche club.

by Anonymousreply 13August 5, 2018 3:25 AM

😬😮

by Anonymousreply 14April 4, 2019 6:09 AM

what's the cliche club

by Anonymousreply 15April 4, 2019 6:31 AM

Oh dear. Now that he's been outed, his career will go down the toilet.

by Anonymousreply 16April 4, 2019 6:39 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!