Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Kirsten Dunst

Is she pretty or is she plain? I can never make up my mind.

I also can never decide whether she's really talented or just adequate.

She's certainly hard to cast.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 259December 18, 2018 1:17 AM

She's a fucking brilliant actress.

by Anonymousreply 1January 5, 2017 7:02 AM

She is also a stupid, paranoid bitch in person.

by Anonymousreply 2January 5, 2017 7:06 AM

More, R2

by Anonymousreply 3January 5, 2017 7:10 AM

I've always thought she was quite pretty.

Meanwhile, I still remember the red carpet appearance where she shot up between her toes and she was wearing sandals. So--bleeding on the red carpet. She seems to have kicked the heroin habit. (Or she's just snorting it now).

by Anonymousreply 4January 5, 2017 7:24 AM

R4, any word on whether Garrett Hedlund is still using?

R3, she thought a friend of mine was staring at her (he wasnt; she was looking at him and he kept looking back at her and she was still staring at him) and she had him thrown out of the party. My boyfriend has also worked with her and he said she was a stupid bitch then, too. I'll ask him for more details.

by Anonymousreply 5January 5, 2017 7:29 AM

She's an interesting actress. She had a hard time moving from child star to adult star, and had addiction battles during it, but seems to have emerged healthy. She's not quite A-list anymore.

by Anonymousreply 6January 5, 2017 8:04 AM

I really like her, still.

by Anonymousreply 7January 5, 2017 8:12 AM

I really enjoyed her childhood/teen roles like Interview with a Vampire, Jumanji, and Small Soldiers. I enjoy her work with Sophia Coppola and love, love, love Bring it On. She's also really great in Mona Lisa Smile, Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind, and Melancholia. I haven't seen the second season of Fargo yet, but I hear she's great in it. I'm happy she got that role. Hopefully she'll continue to get better opportunities.

by Anonymousreply 8January 5, 2017 8:49 AM

I tried googling the pictures of her heroin feet and found nothing. Can anyone point me in the right direction?

by Anonymousreply 9January 5, 2017 9:08 AM

Fuck off, she had a drug problem. It was serious and it's in the past. What's wrong with you losers?

by Anonymousreply 10January 5, 2017 9:19 AM

she was fierce in Marie Antoinette

by Anonymousreply 11January 5, 2017 9:30 AM

she sure has a stupid last name.

by Anonymousreply 12January 5, 2017 10:38 AM

One of my favorite actresses. She has the same kind of elusive quality onscreen that Garbo had; a sort of dark sunniness, a weariness behind the eyes that has always seemed too old for someone so young. It also gives her a slightly "out of time" quality. That's why I can understand why some would call her hard to cast and why she really is a good fit for some of the unusual roles she'd had; child vampire, costume movie-cum-music film queen, retro suicide teen. She also shares that same kind of structural, Scandinavian beauty that Garbo had, the kind that looks both solid and delicate at the same time: China doll features on a strong bone structure, fine hair but lots of it.

I have made it a personal policy to never judge the personal lives of child stars. The entertainment industry can be as safe as a war zone for little kids and there's always a little bit of sadness to working children, even if they truly did love what they did while growing up. I try to be gentle in my evaluation of their behavior as adults. Someone can claim she's "paranoid" but then you might not have had to deal with 40 year-old men from around the World writing you sex fantasy fan letters, having adults barking orders at you to kiss adult co-stars before pre-teenhood. Stalkers are a regular feature of superstardom, which she did reach at one point and at a very, young age. She gets a pass.

by Anonymousreply 13January 5, 2017 10:58 AM

She's one of the greats imo.

by Anonymousreply 14January 5, 2017 11:05 AM

I like her. I think she's gotten better and better over the years as an actress--and this is to her credit. (Most actresses seem to get stuck in one gear and don't evolve creatively or talent wise over time.)

It's plain she's faced some issues in her personal life, but I appreciate the quality of work she's put out in the past few years--and her comeback of sorts. She's done strong work recently (much more mature), and with the right directors, I can see her winning an Oscar in the near future.

Having said that, I'm still interested in any gossip any insiders or former co-workers have about her. I'll still like her and her work, and this is a gossip website!

by Anonymousreply 15January 5, 2017 11:11 AM

I can't stand to look at her. Same with Maggie Gyllenhaal and Michelle Williams.

by Anonymousreply 16January 5, 2017 12:28 PM

In terms of looks, I always put her in that place with other chameleons like Cameron Diaz & Ryan Gosling.

Some pics, theyre gorgeous. In others, downright scary.

by Anonymousreply 17January 5, 2017 12:38 PM

I wish I could shoot smack between my toes!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 18January 5, 2017 12:40 PM

She is really well cast in "Fargo" as a woman who would be considered pretty in her small town and nowhere else. When made up professionally she can look even beautiful (though it was quite a stretch in the Spider-Man movies that she was playing a model, especially given her fairly large breasts), but in "Fargo" they wisely did her makeup to make her look like she's a small-town woman in the Seventies who did it herself, and not well.

She's one of the few actresses who made the move from major child star to adult star well. Usually the talented child stars never learn technique and rely on the mannerisms they used as children and seem artificial as adult actors (see Natalie Wood, Winona Ryder, Linsey Lohan) but a very few like Dunst and Jodie Foster actually improve.

by Anonymousreply 19January 5, 2017 4:16 PM

She is good in HIDDEN FIGURES....and it was the 1st time I have seen her and believed her in an adult role....

by Anonymousreply 20January 5, 2017 4:24 PM

I don't care much for her, but love her style. Once in a while I google paparazzi pictures to see how her style is evolving. She doesn't seem to be making that much of an effort anymore. The golden years were the ones when she was dating Jake Gyllenhaal.

by Anonymousreply 21January 5, 2017 4:28 PM

She was in Drop Dead Gorgeous so she is forgiven anything.

by Anonymousreply 22January 5, 2017 4:35 PM

Loved her in "Dick."

by Anonymousreply 23January 5, 2017 4:54 PM

With Jake

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 24January 5, 2017 5:41 PM

The generation of former child actors that she came from is a group of really good actors and they continue to do good work. I think she is the strongest actor in her group, although Anna Paquin or Michelle Williams are both pretty good too. I never got the Natalie Portman love, she was never consistent and I think she is the weakest of them all.

by Anonymousreply 25January 5, 2017 8:10 PM

DL you've surprised me for once. I was expecting nasty/shallow posts on her appearance and instead a get a reasoned discussion on her merits as an actress. Pretty impressive

by Anonymousreply 26January 5, 2017 8:13 PM

I agree with R22 Drop Dead Gorgeous alone earns her a pass.

I always thought her break up with Jake was odd. They were in London making a very public display of their love and then the very next day they broke up. I had friends who saw them out at dinner the night before it was announced and said they couldn't keep their hands off each other.

by Anonymousreply 27January 5, 2017 8:27 PM

I really loved her in some of her earlier roles, like Drop Dead Gorgeous and Dick (both underrated comedies), but it seemed like her career after Spiderman didn't quite pan out the way it should have. Admittedly, I haven't seen her in anything in a while.

by Anonymousreply 28January 5, 2017 8:33 PM

I love them together

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 29January 5, 2017 9:12 PM

She us a fantastic actress, I watch all of her movies.

by Anonymousreply 30January 5, 2017 9:14 PM

*is I meant is.

by Anonymousreply 31January 5, 2017 9:14 PM

I really enjoy her performances and will continue to follow her career. Add me to the list of DDG fans on here (side question - is Allison Janney considered a gay icon yet?), wonder if she'll do a comedy again soon?

by Anonymousreply 32January 5, 2017 9:27 PM

Also, I think she's beautiful both physically and in a she looks like an interesting person way

by Anonymousreply 33January 5, 2017 9:28 PM

I'm luminous!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 34January 5, 2017 9:52 PM

I don't usually get into this kind of thing but Dunst will hopefully one day win an Oscar. She has done great work, worked with real directors in daring projects, never been bad and at 34 years old she could have better played most of JLaw's parts. Anne and Emma too. Kirsten did kind of fuck it up with drug problems but she would have made Silver Lining's Playbook an honest movie. She's been luminous and lovely but always with a twist. She made it to the top, hated it and was an ass about it, so I think we can just look forward to her continued great work and interesting choices.

by Anonymousreply 35January 5, 2017 9:55 PM

Is that her R34? Brilliant body

by Anonymousreply 36January 5, 2017 10:02 PM

Very pretty, very talented, love her breasts.

by Anonymousreply 37January 5, 2017 10:04 PM

That's a good point R35. She is much more age appropriate that JLaw and is probably a better actress. She does nuance very well which comes with experience. She had bad teeth, wonder if she fixed them?

by Anonymousreply 38January 5, 2017 10:08 PM

I'm happy to see that most people are on her side here. There is something about her that I quite like, but I can't put my finger on it. I always assumed that she was intelligent, because she has made some interesting choices that would suggest intelligence, but, given that she was a child actress and probably not schooled well, I'm willing to believe that she is not intelligent.

She is not beautiful, but she is definitely prettier than average, and can made up to look rather gorgeous. I like her, and, more importantly, I trust her. She always shows some degree of honesty on screen, whether that is a result of good acting or a decent moral core, I don't know, but it is there.

by Anonymousreply 39January 5, 2017 10:12 PM

[quote]Is that her [R34]? Brilliant body

Yup. Watch Melancholia.

by Anonymousreply 40January 5, 2017 10:16 PM

She's one of the very few females who's body I envy, not because mine is good compared to anyone else's but because hers is exceptional. I think she's beautiful and a good enough actress that her beauty doesn't distract from whatever role she's in. She also looks like a person that has seen some shit.

by Anonymousreply 41January 5, 2017 10:22 PM

Hi Kirsten.

by Anonymousreply 42January 5, 2017 10:28 PM

Her reactions to Lars von Trier's Hitler ramblings at Cannes are hilarious.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 43January 5, 2017 10:28 PM

Another angle.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 44January 5, 2017 10:31 PM

Her bitchiness shines through whatever looks she has. She would make a wonderful real-life, cunt sorority girl like she played in that Julia Roberts movie about the '30s teacher (Mona Lisa Smile) - extrapolating from whatever years have gone by.

by Anonymousreply 45January 5, 2017 10:34 PM

Her Mona Lisa Smile role was perfect for her. That film's underrated. Sure, it's a derivative, feminine Dead Poet's Society, but it works. Julia Stiles, Maggie Gyllenhaal, and Ginnifer Goodwin were all great, and Marcia Gay Harden was delightful. [italic]"Don't you just love chintz?"[/italic]

by Anonymousreply 46January 5, 2017 10:41 PM

Plain.

by Anonymousreply 47January 5, 2017 10:42 PM

[quote] Fuck off, she had a drug problem. It was serious and it's in the past. What's wrong with you losers?

How dare people talk about a famous actress's drug history on a gay gossip board! What do they think this place is?

by Anonymousreply 48January 5, 2017 10:47 PM

r46 Now that I think of it, her character was what I found to be the one, redeeming part of that film. She played that sorority bitch part honestly, with no reverence: A hurting, trapped person who lashes out in bitterness because expressing unhappiness would be seen as existential ingratitude to the world around her. She played the part so well, she made you feel a human connection to this very unhappy person trapped in a shallow life.

by Anonymousreply 49January 5, 2017 10:48 PM

R49 Well said. Here's her Oscar clip.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 50January 5, 2017 10:52 PM

I like your post R49. Insightful, well stated.

by Anonymousreply 51January 6, 2017 12:03 AM

R32, she should be, just for playing Loretta in DDG. "Who wants shots? I'm buying!"

Drop Dead Gorgeous and Dick were great, agreed.

I think she was the best thing about Interview With The Vampire. She seemed like a frustrated woman in a child's body and it was creepy as fuck.

Her Coppola roles are excellent; her work with Von Trier is superb.

by Anonymousreply 52January 6, 2017 2:06 AM

I always thought she'd play a great Debbie Harry in a Blondie biopic.

by Anonymousreply 53January 6, 2017 2:55 AM

I saw her on the street fairly recently. She looks older in person but pretty. She is also fairly short and in person her body is a little stumpy. The complete opposite of a willowy model type.

She's got the big head that lots of film stars benefit from. So final judgment is pretty but not beautiful.

by Anonymousreply 54January 6, 2017 3:01 AM

She is a naturally talented actress, and was when she was a child. Why pick on her?

by Anonymousreply 55January 6, 2017 3:12 AM

[quote]Why pick on her?

The majority of the people in here really appreciate her.

by Anonymousreply 56January 6, 2017 7:07 AM

I read about Lar Von Trier saying he was a Nazi, but the video sure does put it in zingy perspective. Dunst has the good sense and decency to only be momentarily amused. Nicole Kidman said you have to expect to be tortured if you are going to work with him. But Dunst at the very end of the press conference after much tight lipped WTF staring forward, says to him " Oh Lars, there's no defense." She's even sexier than I thought.

by Anonymousreply 57January 6, 2017 9:18 AM

I've only seen her in the Spiderman(s), Marie Antoinette, Jumanji and my favorite Melancholia. I can't say she's beautiful, but I think her eyes and her voice are striking. She was great in Melancholia.

by Anonymousreply 58January 6, 2017 9:25 AM

Agree, she was superb in Melancholia.

Much more authentic than JLaw, AnnE et al as well as being a more talented actress.

by Anonymousreply 59January 6, 2017 9:36 AM

[R35] and [R49], love your comments; very well put! I agree with everything you both said (And yes, now that you mention it, she *would* have knocked it out of the park in "Silver Linings Playbook"--and almost anything else JLaw, Anne Hathaway, and several or her other contemporaries have been cast in!)

I've really appreciated this discussion (along with the bits of gossip sprinkled throughout) as I really enjoy her work and career choices and have forgotten about her a bit lately because she doesn't seem to do the pap stuff and seems to stay out of the limelight when she's not promoting a film. *Very* refreshing, but it also means that you don't hear about her in the press too much.

I'm reminded by this thread of several films of hers that I'd like to check out or watch again (I'd forgotten how many older films of hers I've enjoyed, like "Dick" and "Drop Dead Gorgeous). Thank you for that! Also, I had no idea she was in "Hidden Figures"; that makes me want to see it now.

She also did strong work last year in the Jeff Nichols film "Midnight Special"-- a film and director that again underscores the strong and intelligent choices she's been making lately in her career. ( I only wish her role had been bigger in it.)

It's great that she's also done such strong work on TV with "Fargo".

I'm excited to see what she does in the future and hope she's able to continue to avoid the pitfalls or fame and success this go around--as it seems she's been doing.

by Anonymousreply 60January 6, 2017 9:44 AM

*of success (not or)

by Anonymousreply 61January 6, 2017 9:46 AM

I loved her from that period from DICK, THE VIRGIN SUICIDES, BRING IT ON and THE CAT'S MEOW and thought she'd be one of the greats. Things rapidly went downhill after SPIDER-MAN and MONA LISA SMILE and she turned into an asshole.

She's not a Child Star turned Adult Star because, well, she's not a star. She's barely Emily Blunt level. Most people under 25 barely know who she is - there are scores of women in their 30s who used to be in a superhero franchise and did good work on a cable show. I agree that she is exceeding stupid and smug which can't help her persona. Ever see her "speaking German" on a late night show?

She's a solid actress though and does far better work than most of the other teen actresses of the 90s.

by Anonymousreply 62January 6, 2017 10:12 AM

AnnE or JLaw NEVER could have pulled off Melancholia. Dunst was robbed that entire award season.

by Anonymousreply 63January 7, 2017 3:03 AM

I think she has a great look, love her teeth and her tits, and usually think she's a pretty good actress. Great in Fargo. Terrible in Hidden Figures (she's doing a couple different accents and they're all wrong.)

by Anonymousreply 64January 7, 2017 3:14 AM

The powers that be have been casting white girls with warmer, more accessible, fatter lipped looks lately (Jlaw, ScarJo), but Kirsten has the more piercing, icy look that I remember the real thing often having (FWIW). It doesn't mean she's not beautiful but it's a look that is somewhat not in favor at the moment. So I usually like her just because she adds a dimension usually lacking.

Agree that she was absolutely the best thing about Interview. Pitt and Cruise were both horribly miscast.

by Anonymousreply 65January 7, 2017 3:23 AM

She was also great in the sub par Crazy Beautiful. Greasy hair, drunk girl. Also didn't her 'alleged' cousin post on here, with juicy gossip about Franco, Labeouf, and some dude from Blink 182?

by Anonymousreply 66January 7, 2017 5:31 AM
Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 67January 7, 2017 5:36 AM

Bumping for more Kiki love. The clip at r67 shows her brilliance as a child actor. Holding her own completely against Cruise (in his prime) and Pitt.

The thing I most respect is how she's avoided the surgical work her peers have had. She's completely natural, face, breasts body; only her teeth have been mildly straightened (no veneers) and she lightens her hair. You know she's probably had a ton of pressure from the industry (agents, producers, casting) to do something and she's resisted so far. Bravo.

by Anonymousreply 68January 8, 2017 9:20 PM

R68 I've always thought she was a beauty in a 70's Mom generation way, very Jan Brady. Like I said above, she's one of my favorite actresses and not afraid to go full goofy for humor, either. Watching her lop around with Michelle Williams in "Dick", I broke out laughing. She's actually quite a physical comedian and like everything else, she doesn't get enough credit for it.

Then, there's her great turn in the "Fargo" series. I thought "there's something really exciting about this direction, it's almost like the quality of character development in 90's indie movies." Now it hits me that much of that probably had to do with Kirsten.

by Anonymousreply 69January 8, 2017 9:27 PM

I've always liked her and have been impressed by her acting. I didn't understand all the hate towards her during her Spiderman days. She didn't get nominated for an Oscar for Melancholia because of the director's Nazi statements. She is a very underrated actress.

Yes, she should have been cast in the Jennifer Lawrence's roles that JL had absolutely no business playing. Dunst is more age-appropriate. I hope she finally gets the credit that she deserves.

by Anonymousreply 70January 8, 2017 9:38 PM

The worst was when she was robbed at last year's Golden Globes for best actress in a mini-series by Lady Gaga. HFPA corruption in action right there in all its glory. Then she lost the Emmy to Sarah Paulson since Fargo was up against People vs OJ which was such a heavyweight critical hit. Didn't mind the loss to Paulson since she's been overdue, but the Gaga thing was a travesty.

She's gearing up pre-production for her full-length writing and directing debut with The Bell Jar. Very high hopes for that. The casting so far has been stellar.

by Anonymousreply 71January 8, 2017 9:46 PM

She's Pletty. Also Prain.

by Anonymousreply 72January 8, 2017 9:47 PM

I hadn't seen Interview since it came out, and it is very weird seeing Dunst so young, knowing what she will grow up to be.

by Anonymousreply 73January 8, 2017 9:49 PM

It’s also just announced she’s on board to produce and star in a new cable drama series, written by Robert Funke and Matt Lunsky and directed by Yorgos Lanthimos who wrote/directed The Lobster. Clooney's Smokehouse Pictures is producing and AMC has the option for pick up.

Heavy hitters all around I’m surprised to hear people say she’s not active anymore. She just wrapped another film with Coppola so there’s that as well.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 74January 8, 2017 9:52 PM

[post redacted because linking to dailymail.co.uk clearly indicates that the poster is either a troll or an idiot (probably both, honestly.) Our advice is that you just ignore this poster but whatever you do, don't click on any link to this putrid rag.]

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 75January 8, 2017 9:52 PM

Playing Marion Davies opposite Edward Herrmann's W.R Hearst: Her reaction to the shooting was perfect and it catches you off guard. No overwrought melodramatics, she just reacts to him like she's just found out her puppy is rabid and knows what comes next. There are so, many good Kirsten Dunst performances.

R72 I don't think she's plain, I think she just has a very safe, non-threatening kind of beauty. To the relief of Norma Desmond, she will probably never be cast as Salome. But there's a weariness behind her sunny beauty it that makes it interesting and some of that came out in "Melancholia".

by Anonymousreply 76January 8, 2017 9:53 PM

R75 I want Jesse the most out of all of them. He looks like he'd bring a little sweaty thunder to the mattress.

by Anonymousreply 77January 8, 2017 9:56 PM

r69 Dick was underrated. Michelle Williams also very funny and Dunst has hilarious scenes with a very young Ryan Reynolds. Goofy sweet movie.

She has a history of getting with co-stars. She’s certainly cut a swath through male Hollywood. Did she actually date Skarsgard? She likes those Swedes (ASkars, Hedlund, Gylenhaal).

by Anonymousreply 78January 8, 2017 10:09 PM

Jessie Plemons is kind of gross. I do like her voice. It's so rare these days..a nice voice.

by Anonymousreply 79January 8, 2017 10:10 PM

r69 Dick was underrated. Michelle Williams also very funny and Dunst has hilarious scenes with a very young Ryan Reynolds. Goofy sweet movie.

She has a history of getting with co-stars. She’s certainly cut a swath through male Hollywood. Did she actually date Skarsgard? She likes those Swedes (ASkars, Hedlund, Gylenhaal).

by Anonymousreply 80January 8, 2017 10:10 PM

Loved her in Magdalene Sisters.

by Anonymousreply 81January 8, 2017 10:12 PM

That wasn't Dunst r81. Dorothy Duffy is an Irish actress who looks somewhat like her, if that's who you mean.

by Anonymousreply 82January 8, 2017 10:34 PM

[quote] She had bad teeth, wonder if she fixed them?

Comments re her teeth and her upbringing (i.e., stereotypical showbiz mother; Dunst being the family breadwinner for years which resulted in some personal issues) are what I recall reading on DL threads concerning her.

[quote] She is a naturally talented actress, and was when she was a child. Why pick on her?

That’s what people do – particularly, on DL. Your favorites don’t get a pass.

[quote] The majority of the people in here really appreciate her.

This. DL subjects should [bold]all[/bold] be “picked on” like this!

This has got to be one of the most complimentary and gushing threads about a celebrity that I have [bold]ever[/bold] read here. The same posters who are waxing poetic about Dunst are likely the same who would cry “Frau thread!” if the subject were somebody else.

by Anonymousreply 83January 8, 2017 11:18 PM

Does it occur to you that Dunst fans are likely younger than the majority of DL posters, and therefor we appreciate her considerable talents and are less concerned with criticizing her appearance? She's a great actress who has been around for 25 years, but is not yet 35 years old. I am just under 40 and believe I have seen almost every movie she has made. I'm a fan of her work and the integrity of her choices. I'm not a racist, misogynist old DL bitch. That don't make me a frau...

by Anonymousreply 84January 8, 2017 11:31 PM

One of the few actresses who can credibly do both comedy and drama. She has an amazing body of work. Compare her to the ghastly overpraised Emma Stone.

by Anonymousreply 85January 8, 2017 11:35 PM

Dunst stan here who's gushed but has no problems criticizing her or gossiping.

She's an underrated actress and a very lowkey persona so maybe that's why there's not much criticism. She's not Julia Roberts or Mariah Carey. Had her moments but they've been few. She had a rough patch for a few years in her 20s, spun out a bit but got help and took a break.

Her teeth were a past focus because they were crooked and gapped and she didn't fix them. At some point they were slightly straightened, some guessed because film lighting would pick up the gaps and they'd be distracting. Otherwise, she is singular in Hollywood at her age in that she's had no surgical or cosmetic interventions. As a follower of celebrities you know that's amazing. And she still gets work, with creative smart people in smaller projects. I don't think she wants to be JLaw at all.

Her mother's been a focus in the past, she certainly encouraged and pushed her but Dunst removed her from her professional life at 18 and has been on her own since. It's worked well for them personally since she's now close to her mom and lives a few houses down from her.

In fact, Dunst's insistence on living in the Valley, in the same neighborhood as much of her family and her ongoing closeness to her longterm non-famous friends has held her well as an adult.

by Anonymousreply 86January 8, 2017 11:41 PM

I didn't like her til the Fargo TV series.

by Anonymousreply 87January 8, 2017 11:42 PM

R87 - I'm the opposite. I've always liked her but don't care for her in Fargo. I don't like the tv show in general, and I'm puzzled by the praise it has received.

The film producer Christine Vachon wrote that Dunst was supposed to be in a movie about the Shaggs. The Vachon book is about a decade old. I would love to see Dunst in that but she's probably too old now.

by Anonymousreply 88January 8, 2017 11:48 PM

R86 Wasn't she under Iris Burton as a kid? I know she's talked often about wishing she could have known River Phoenix, that if she could be with anyone from the past it would be him. He was set to star in "Interview with a Vampire" and then he died, so it's always struck me as a melancholy thing to say. Like she was a young girl who would go into Burton's office and see a picture of her prized cash cow, only to be shaken at a young age about the reality of life in the industry, the predatory drug culture, all the star-crossed human relationships.

by Anonymousreply 89January 8, 2017 11:52 PM

when Interview with the vampire came out i was very impressed by her: one of the best child actor performances ever. Incredibly mature and believable. I haven't followed her career closely but then i watched Melancolia and she was superb: one of the best portrayal of severe depression in movies. I didn't know she has a drug past, glad that she's better now.

by Anonymousreply 90January 8, 2017 11:54 PM

She captured the essence of Claudia amazingly in Interview, something neither Pitt or Cruise managed to do.

by Anonymousreply 91January 8, 2017 11:55 PM

Incredibly talented actress and she's not a typical Hollywood cookie cutter clone. One of the best current actresses and terribly underrated.

by Anonymousreply 92January 9, 2017 12:01 AM

Yes Burton was her first big time Hollywood agent. She moved to LA and signed with her just months after Phoenix died, as said he was Burton's star client so there must have a lot of discussion about him.

Dunst apparently still maintains that her rehab stint a decade or so ago was for depression, which it possibly was but its widely believed it was for drugs as well. Hardcore, as in coke and snorting H. I doubt she ever injected.

The pics of her with bloody feet around that time weren't from injecting; she was out and drunk (Kiki like to get her drink on) and switching shoes with her old high school friend who was with her, and probably cut her foot. But her stumbling around the sidewalk was interpreted otherwise.

by Anonymousreply 93January 9, 2017 12:02 AM

She should've won the Best Actress Award for Melancholia. Fact.

by Anonymousreply 94January 9, 2017 12:04 AM

I think a lot of people appreciate Dunst more because she's proved her acting creds through her body of work. She's been consistently good in her movies but always under-rated and under-appreciated while actresses like Jennifer Lawrence are stupidly gushed over and cast in roles that are meant for older actresses.

Dunst should have gotten the role of Joy or Silver Linings Playbook, not a 21 year old.

by Anonymousreply 95January 9, 2017 7:19 AM

Very much agree, [R95]! Dunst would have added warmth, depth, and most importantly, *authenticity*, to those roles in a way that JLaw is (currently, at least) incapable of.

Those films would have worked on a whole new level with her in them; it's a shame that the casting directors couldn't grasp that, and instead cast someone who looks like they're barely out of high school and has the maturity of a 15 year old to play wife, widow, and mother roles 🙄

by Anonymousreply 96January 9, 2017 12:08 PM

Did anyone see Midnight Special with Kirsten? I still want to see it.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 97January 9, 2017 12:20 PM

Jennifer Lawrence got the part because they found her young and fuckable. Andrea Riseborough was also up for the role. She would have nailed it as well. Clearly they wanted someone more age appropriate before they aged her down a decade. I just realized Bradley Cooper was 38 while Lawrence was 22!

by Anonymousreply 98January 9, 2017 12:24 PM

She was terrific in Fargo season 2

by Anonymousreply 99January 9, 2017 1:13 PM

lame

by Anonymousreply 100January 9, 2017 2:36 PM

I saw her several years ago passed out at a club in Hollywood. She was lying on her back on the stage of the VIP area. Her eyes were closed and people were just kind of walking around her, so I got the impression that this might not have been the first time she had done that.

by Anonymousreply 101January 9, 2017 2:47 PM

She's engaged to Jesse Plemmons. Congrats kids!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 102January 12, 2017 6:30 PM

absolutely amazing in Fargo, wish she wouldn't of one of the major awards for that performance.

7-10 year ago, I used to run into her at hipster/trendy bars/nightclubs in the super hipster areas of Silverlake and Echo Park. she was always very nice and not standoffish; on the dance floor, she'd dance with strangers next to her, laugh with us and such. but she tiny in stature and really, really thin, like anorexia thin. Less than a size 0. it hurt to look at her thinness, I wanted to hand her a burger and say for god's sake eat something. So it was nice to see in Fargo that she had returned to a more normal body weight.

by Anonymousreply 103January 12, 2017 7:05 PM

^^would have^^

by Anonymousreply 104January 12, 2017 7:05 PM

wow! who would have thought: Kirsten Dunst, a DL fave!

by Anonymousreply 105January 13, 2017 3:20 AM

They're engaged? Hmmmm...interesting

by Anonymousreply 106January 13, 2017 3:35 AM

She's a talented actress and she's got "it" without being a fluke, in my opinion. Now I would like to see her in a movie where she plays a woman in her thirties.

As for her looks, she looks Nordic, which is what she is. Before that, she mostly looked like a kid, because she was so young. Drop Dead Gorgeous and Eternal Sunshine are my two faves with her, but she can always be relied on for a good performance.

Of course she's a DL fave!! As is her cousin ;)

by Anonymousreply 107January 13, 2017 3:38 AM

agree r106. Find it interesting a well. Timing, situation and choice of partner. Hope she is happy.

He seems to be a very simple, mellow guy without much pretension. If it's the real deal he will probably treat her well. I do wonder where they'll live; she's pretty entrenched in LA and he lives in TX. Maybe split their time?

by Anonymousreply 108January 13, 2017 3:41 AM

Kiki has always been very tiny and thin naturally. Was overly so for a while in her 20s which is when you probably encountered her r103.

And yeah her cousin brought some good dish here last year. That was a good thread.

by Anonymousreply 109January 13, 2017 3:51 AM

I always thought she was quite sulty and very attractive. She is also a very good actress. I never heard about the heroin I did hear she was a big drinker though. I wish her well.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 110January 13, 2017 4:02 AM

Pretty more than beautiful, but she has genuine charisma onscreen--she seems just a little more alive and natural than the people around her. I thought she was brilliant in Melancholia--and Von Trier generally annoys me.

by Anonymousreply 111January 13, 2017 4:09 AM

Her character moved me so much in Eternal Sunshine. She has a detached yet sincere way of playing this person who is very hurt, that is true art, I believe.

by Anonymousreply 112January 13, 2017 4:12 AM

[quote]Dunst should have gotten the role of Joy or Silver Linings Playbook, not a 21 year old.

Agree. KD would have gotten the melancholic part of Tiffany that Lawrence didn't seem to capture imo. Actually - ducking since she's not a DL fave - Anne Hathaway who was originally slated to do SLP would have done a great job there. She'd get the pathos/depression/issues with the comedic edge and she can do the dance numbers.

Where Dunst would have made an overwhelming casting difference is in Almost Famous, she was supposed to play Penny Lane but due to her youth (I think she was just finishing high school) Crowe gave the part to Kate Hudson, promising Kirsten she'd do his next film. Which unfortunately turned out to be Elizabethtown, but that's on Crowe.

by Anonymousreply 113January 13, 2017 4:19 AM

I didn't see SLP (truly could not be bothered), but all your casting comments make sense, and I might have been more interested in this movie had Kirsten Dunst been in it. Of course then it would have been an honest movie. Does DOR make honest movies? On the plus side, not being cast saved Kiki from a potentially unpleasant experience with this director.

by Anonymousreply 114January 13, 2017 4:27 AM

Everyone's calling her Kiki, and I get that they're using it as a nickname, but we shouldn't forget that she provided the voice for another special Kiki.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 115January 13, 2017 4:39 AM

R115 OMG!! I forgot about that movie. It was really cute

Thanks for the memories!

by Anonymousreply 116January 13, 2017 5:14 AM

I find her to be a very good actress but I tend to forget about her. Whoever said that she would have been a better choice for Silver Linings Playbook -- YES. Jennifer Lawrence was miscast in that and it still baffles me that she won awards.

Back to Kiki: why doesn't she have more success? Does she not get these meetings with the big directors? I glanced at her imdb page and it appears that she'll be playing a schoolgirl in Sofia Coppola's next thing. ... Oh. Why didn't Coppola cast her in Lost in Translation? She would have nailed that role.

by Anonymousreply 117January 13, 2017 6:08 AM

A 35 year old playing a school girl?!?

by Anonymousreply 118January 13, 2017 7:44 AM

She'll play a teacher at an all-girls school. R117 was mistaken.

by Anonymousreply 119January 13, 2017 7:48 AM

To answer 117, the reason most people on here like and and the reason she hasn't experienced more commercial 'success' lately are one and the same. I don't think Dunst's early commercial success suited her. But she gamely played along, wearing all the right things, kissing all the right people and tap dancing at all the right junkets/promo shows.

NOW you can see she basically doesn't give two fucks. And that's where her power comes from. Some say that that makes her a bitch but I'll take that over the smiley tanned titty brigade of "actresses" that abound these days. There's an article where she says that Coppola advised her against ANY plastic surgery because then she'd always stand out and be memorable. The price all those Jennifers and Ashleys pay for their beauty is that we can't tell any of them apart. So true! So what it comes down to, over and over, is her authenticity. That's what everyone here is responding to and that's what the majority of Hollywood won't touch with a ten foot pole because it scares them. She is succeeding on her own terms.

I don't know that she has a ton of technique. I can't imagine she'd be all that good onstage. But her instincts are great. And she has a deep melancholy that she's not afraid of using in her work.

I'm rooting for her!

by Anonymousreply 120January 13, 2017 8:04 AM

R113 No, Sarah Polley had the role of Penney Lane, dropped out, then Hudson was cast.

by Anonymousreply 121January 13, 2017 8:16 AM

I love Kristen but I think Scarlett was perfect for Lost in Translation. This thread makes me realise how much I USED to like JLaw.

by Anonymousreply 122January 13, 2017 8:56 AM

I can't stand Hudson, but she was perfect as Penny Lane the tragic rock groupie. We now know it wasn't really a stretch for her.

by Anonymousreply 123January 13, 2017 9:12 AM

R102 I find Plemons really attractive. He has a raw sexuality about him that's hard to explain but it's there. They're cute together.

R106 She's in her 30's. She must have a clue of what will make her happy, at this point in time.

by Anonymousreply 124January 13, 2017 12:50 PM

I get what's struck me about Plemons: If Matt Damon and Philip Seymour Hoffman could have had a kid during Talented Mr. Ripley era, it would eventually look like Jesse. It's actually quite bizarre.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 125January 13, 2017 12:55 PM

I'm really rooting for her, personally even more than professionally - her work's already been incredible and she's only in her early thirties. Time for happiness on a personal level. And I love that she's bringing out the best DL posters to this thread.

by Anonymousreply 126January 13, 2017 12:58 PM

Are you sure it's Kirsten? I always thought it was Kristen, and I'm usually right. Just sayin.....

by Anonymousreply 127January 13, 2017 12:58 PM

Except for R127, of course.

by Anonymousreply 128January 13, 2017 1:00 PM

I thought she was absolutely brilliant in the underrated THE CAT'S MEOW, playing Marion Davies to Edward Hermann's Hearst. She really brought out the spirit of Davies one rarely saw captured in Davies's films for Hearst, who hated her comic antics.

by Anonymousreply 129January 13, 2017 2:56 PM

Her first name is so weird if you say it without the last name. I can't imagine people calling her that in casual conversations.

by Anonymousreply 130January 13, 2017 4:00 PM

Just to speak of her looks, I will say that Kirsten is plain (and probably vapid).

I saw her in a bikini by the pool at the Chateau Marmont, lounging with a couple of prettier but not pretty friends.

She has poor posture, with slumped over shoulders. Her body is scrawny and too pale. Her hair is scraggly and limp. If I hadn't recognized her, I would have thought, how did these three limp biscuits get a key to the Chateau swimming pool. She is not pretty.

By the way, I saw Michael Stipe (REM) a few minutes later. He has a huge distorted bowling ball head, but interestingly, he was carrying a legal pad densely scrawled with tight cursive writing, so he must have been on a writing retreat. He was trying to avoid Kirsten, and then he avoided us.

by Anonymousreply 131January 13, 2017 5:23 PM

"A 35 year old playing a school girl?!?"

Christina Ricci (who is even older than Kirsten) is playing a teenage Zelda Fitzgerald in Z: The Beginning of Everything

by Anonymousreply 132January 13, 2017 5:29 PM

Her first name is very common in Sweden. I don't find it weird at all, quite the opposite.

by Anonymousreply 133January 13, 2017 6:36 PM

Isn't she supposed to prefer the puss? I swore there was another DL thread where everyone was *certain* that Hedlund was a beard. They also provided a lot of photos of her with all of her various 'besties' and she looks lit-from-within when hanging out w/ all her girls and somewhat somber with Garrett by comparison. Similar to KSTew before she was out.

The Plemons thing is suspicious I think. There's a bit of an age gap, they haven't known each other all that long and they're on a show together.

Anyways, a girl can dream right?!

by Anonymousreply 134January 13, 2017 9:55 PM

r121 Crowe originally developed the movie with Polley and - believe it or not - Brad Pitt in mind. Polley was his first choice. Both dropped out before production and actresses were auditioned, Dunst was one of the final two or three actresses in the mix. She was only seventeen at the time and Crowe went with Hudson.

He put her in Elizabethtown later as a kind of consolation, though it wasn't a critical or commercial success.

by Anonymousreply 135January 13, 2017 11:43 PM

I think she said once on a talk show that she attended a lesbian wedding and then everyone ran with it, R134. I consider her to be a progressive straight lady. Regardless of her supposed sexuality, I don't think there's anything that I've seen her in where she hasn't done a bang up job.

by Anonymousreply 136January 13, 2017 11:51 PM

She will always be Amber Atkins to me.

by Anonymousreply 137January 13, 2017 11:55 PM

What R136. She seems straight, she's just open (not for herself... for others) like everybody would be if the world weren't so fucked up.

by Anonymousreply 138January 14, 2017 12:02 AM

R131 its strange Stipe avoided her since they were longtime neighbors in Tribeca, had penthouse lofts right next door to each other and were friendly. He personally cast and filmed her in one of the last REM videos a few years ago. I wonder if the scene you saw at the Chateau was back in the early or mid aughties before they really knew each other.

Don’t know about her relationship with Hedlund or how he leans. She may have partied with her friends but he’s no slouch, loves his weed and is supposedly a fairly big stoner. He’s pals with Charlie Hunnam and his crowd, another one who loves the green so make of that what you may.

Speculating, but I do think that Hedlund might have had difficulty fitting in with her tight crowd of hipster pals. She runs with a very creative set who like to socialize a lot. I can’t see Plemons really fitting in there either.

by Anonymousreply 139January 14, 2017 12:08 AM

R139 She strikes me as very Scandinavian. I have a friend who is a young visual artist (Finlansvensk) and is exactly like this. Can be fun, also very standoffish at times. I never hold it against her for she is very loyal in her friendships, as most Scandinavians are.

by Anonymousreply 140January 14, 2017 12:50 AM

Kirsten Winning!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 141January 14, 2017 7:15 AM

When was that, R141?

by Anonymousreply 142January 14, 2017 7:19 AM

r142 Jan 2016

by Anonymousreply 143January 14, 2017 7:43 AM

I'm a fan of her early films. The Virgin Suicides, Marie Antoinette, Spiderman...

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 144January 14, 2017 7:46 AM

Marie Antionette

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 145January 14, 2017 7:57 AM

So cool! Thanks for posting, R141 :)

Even the sort of hello with both hands, that's something people do in Sweden. Her father is from Hamburg, but still she seems Scandinavian to me.

by Anonymousreply 146January 14, 2017 8:15 AM

There were a lot of people happy for her, she should have won the GG award over Lady Gaga last year.

by Anonymousreply 147January 14, 2017 9:13 AM

R97 YUGE Kirsten fan here. Midnight Special could've been better, it was underwhelming, but Kirsten does a bang-up job as usual.

by Anonymousreply 148January 14, 2017 12:05 PM

Agree, [R148]

by Anonymousreply 149January 14, 2017 12:37 PM

Oh, R139 , I probably misinterpreted the scene, which was me walking by Kirsten and 2 girls, finding a lounge chair off my itself behind hedges, and then Michael Stipe walking briskly away from where Kirsten was. I'm sure he didn't want me to bother or recognize him, so I'm just being snippy about Kirsten.

by Anonymousreply 150January 15, 2017 1:26 AM

Kristen Dunst, and Rami Malek went to high school together. He is ultra creepy. Rapey eyes!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 151January 15, 2017 7:46 AM

Rami's wonderful.

by Anonymousreply 152January 15, 2017 8:05 AM

Rapey eyes ? Oh please !

by Anonymousreply 153January 15, 2017 2:35 PM

You can't rape the willing, R151 .

by Anonymousreply 154January 15, 2017 2:39 PM

She's both actually, OP, and I think that makes her incredibly versatile as an actress. I've rather liked her in everything I've seen her in.

by Anonymousreply 155January 15, 2017 3:07 PM

Loved her in Crazy Beautiful and Bring It On. I also remember a story about her having sex with Jake in a change room back in the day.

by Anonymousreply 156January 15, 2017 5:32 PM

I can't believe she gave up Garrett Hedlund for that ginger. Some women have access to the hottest guys and still throw it away for basic Jimmys,

by Anonymousreply 157January 15, 2017 5:44 PM

You feel that way because you are not a straight woman. You are a gay man. ^^^

by Anonymousreply 158January 15, 2017 9:40 PM

Garrett Hedlund's so dull. His best performance is in Inside Llewyn Davis, mainly because that character's meant to be boring. Jesse Plemons, while not conventionally attractive like Hedlund, is an infinitely more compelling performer (Friday Night Lights, The Master, Breaking Bad, Fargo) and seems like a way more interesting person.

I just saw that he's going to be in The Bell Jar, directed and written by Kiki. Very cool.

by Anonymousreply 159January 15, 2017 11:11 PM

I'm surprised that among all her fangurls here no one mentioned this NOWNESS video.

I never cared about her until I saw it. Great sense of humor about herself.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 160January 15, 2017 11:16 PM

Yes rapey eyes!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 161January 16, 2017 1:08 AM

Rapey Rapey Eyes!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 162January 16, 2017 1:09 AM

You got to admit Rami was a cute child.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 163January 16, 2017 4:32 AM

Shades of Peter Lorre in the pic at R162. He also looks like he should be about 4'8".

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 164January 16, 2017 8:16 AM

Both Kirsten and Jesse Plemons were great in Fargo. Plemons, especially looked convincing as a husband so in love with his wife, he would do anything for her, even murder. They were pretty convincing as a married couple and now fiction will become reality.

by Anonymousreply 165January 16, 2017 9:15 AM

Kirsten singing. hehe :)

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 166January 17, 2017 6:46 AM

I love her. I've posted it on here before somewhere, but I met her once at Vendome Wine and Spirits when I lived in Toluca Lake. She was teeny tiny and in sweats with her hair up - I didn't recognize her at all. We were both in the wine section (as customers) and she asked me about a bottle which I had no clue about. She talked a lot about wine, throwing a party, the weather, etc. It was a short and friendly exchange. I directed her to a guy that had helped me in the past. Her voice seemed so familiar but at the time I was clueless. After buying a few bottles of this and that - I headed back out the car (even though as it turns out we both live within walking distance to the store - just lazy and busy with errands that day). My bf said that she looked familiar as she had parked next to us and was talking on her cell right next to him. Once I placed the voice - I googled her LA address and she owned a home right there (at least at the time - 2012/2013) I think that perhaps her mother lives in that house or something - don't remember. She was the friendliest, chattiest, down-to-earth "star" that I encountered. In LA (particularly when you live next to the studios) - you eventually encounter most of them at one place or another. In street clothes, she is cute but you really wouldn't place her - just a very pretty, very tiny little girl.

by Anonymousreply 167January 17, 2017 7:01 AM

Cool post, thanks R167

by Anonymousreply 168January 17, 2017 9:37 AM

Trailer for her next film with Sophia Coppola.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 169February 8, 2017 5:04 PM

Looks like a successful version of The Virgin Suicides. It helps that Colin Farrell is an actor, while Josh Hartnett was not.

by Anonymousreply 170February 8, 2017 5:26 PM

She's gorgeous. Of course.

Also love her onscreen.

by Anonymousreply 171February 8, 2017 5:29 PM

r169... looks first rate. Love the lighting etc.

by Anonymousreply 172February 9, 2017 6:49 AM

R169 I absolutely love Sofia Coppola's movies. I love Kirsten! I think Colin Farrell is very underrated. But I fucking LOATHE Nicole Kidman! Talk about over-rated! UGH.

by Anonymousreply 173February 9, 2017 8:55 AM

Colin Farrell is wonderful.

by Anonymousreply 174February 9, 2017 10:50 AM

Very plain. Gets good movies like Melancholia, though. Acting takent is OK.

by Anonymousreply 175February 9, 2017 11:20 AM

R166 Well, she can't sing. But the wig is cute.

by Anonymousreply 176February 9, 2017 11:27 AM

r176... Excuse me dear? Im through with love... and you!!!!!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 177February 19, 2017 4:13 AM

The Beguiled the original one with Clint Eastwood was a fantastic movie that I saw on tv I think in the 80s. I am not a fan of remakes especially when the originals was so great but since I do not know anybody who has seen or even heard of this movie I guess it is Ok. Clint Eastwood was very beautiful and it was a very haunting and disturbing movie.

by Anonymousreply 178February 19, 2017 2:10 PM

On the red carpet at Cannes:

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 179May 24, 2017 10:57 PM

[quote]She has the same kind of elusive quality onscreen that Garbo had

MARY!

by Anonymousreply 180May 24, 2017 11:01 PM

[quote]Jesse Plemons, while not conventionally attractive like Hedlund, is an infinitely more compelling performer (Friday Night Lights, The Master, Breaking Bad, Fargo) and seems like a way more interesting person.

Plemons was also terrific as the gay main character in Other People.

by Anonymousreply 181May 25, 2017 1:19 AM

The film critic at the UK Telegraph loved it and said Dunst was the best part.

Plemons attended the photo call for the movie with her this morning in Cannes, dressed like a truck driver, literally. Stuck out like a sore thumb among all the couture mavens and slick foreign media and staff.

by Anonymousreply 182May 25, 2017 3:45 AM

I' nog a big fan ! Something Aboutaleb her face and her teeeth !

by Anonymousreply 183May 25, 2017 5:11 PM

[quote] Why pick on her?

How dare people criticize in any way someone you like! This is not what Datalounge is about. Your personal favorites are sacred.

by Anonymousreply 184May 25, 2017 5:24 PM

She has a cynical/sarcastic vibe about her.

by Anonymousreply 185March 22, 2018 5:48 AM

She's beautiful, talented, plus unique. Ultimately rather mysterious.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 186March 22, 2018 6:04 AM

When I see her picture at random, I never know if it's of her or Julia Styles or one of those other blondes. They all look alike.

by Anonymousreply 187March 22, 2018 7:04 AM

One of my best friends is friends with the Rodarte girls, who throw a lot of parties that are often attended by Kirsten. I’ve met her twice, first at a Super Bowl party, the second time at a house party. First time she showed up with a smelly dude who reeked of pot, both looked like complete trailer trash. I didn’t recognize her at first, she was in a tank top with no makeup, stringy hair, very plain. She piled a plate with food, wolfed it down, chain smoked on the balcony, got drunk and passed out on the couch. True story - I thought she was revolting. The second encounter, about a year later, again I barely recognized her, this time because she was poised, beautiful, perfectly made up, etc. She did a complete 180. Spent the evening talking, laughing, mingling with guests, we spoke briefly about an introductory philosophy book she was reading. Extremely intelligent and articulate woman. Finally, at the end of the night, there were just a few stragglers left and her phone had died. I offered to call her an Uber, and she accepted. When I made the joke that my Uber Driver was going to be surprised to see Kirsten Dunst instead of me, she laughed it off and said “oh please, as if!” Very humble and cool chick. I eventually concluded that she must have been going through a rough period when I met her. Now I enjoy her performances when I catch them and am thrilled to see that she’s turned her life around and is expecting a child. She’ll probably make a great, cool mom.

by Anonymousreply 188March 22, 2018 10:21 AM

Thanks for that story R188, I've always liked her and I'm glad to see she's getting her shit together. Very talented actress and she keeps a low profile so still has some mystery.

by Anonymousreply 189March 22, 2018 1:49 PM

This has been an interesting read, Dunst is a very good actress whose body of work shows a wide-range of abilities. For me, the biggest disappointment was the role of Mary Jane in the first three Spiderman movies. It's not that her performance was lacking, rather it was Sam Raimi's depiction of Mary Jane that was wrong. MJ (in the comics) is full of spunk. She's a go-getter for what ever she wants. She has a certain swagger and there's an air of excitement about her. On the screen, MJ was an unhappy girl, who wanted to get out of Queens, she struggled, moped a bit here and there. Such a downer at times. MJ was always a character who propped up Peter who was a mopey-kid and something of a downer.

by Anonymousreply 190March 22, 2018 2:23 PM

If she's in a movie I'll watch it ! I always loved her

by Anonymousreply 191March 22, 2018 2:24 PM

You can see her tits in Melancholia.

by Anonymousreply 192March 22, 2018 2:26 PM

I don't know what OP is on about, she's a tremendously talented actress. She can look plain or glamorous, as required.

by Anonymousreply 193March 22, 2018 2:31 PM

Plain and (in)adequate.

by Anonymousreply 194March 22, 2018 2:43 PM

She’s very German ethnic looking. If you think of her in one of those German barmaid costumes you realize she’s very pretty for a German girl.

Once I saw a Japanese girl in the supermarket wearing a sloppy T-shirt and jeans and thought she was really plain. Then I remembered I’d seen a traditional Japanese geisha painting recently, hundreds of years old, that resembled her so strongly, it could have been her. Then I realized she was a beauty. The geisha in the painting was all dressed up in a beautiful Japanese kimono and the traditional wig and white makeup, of course.

I think we don’t realize that people are so interbred in America, really strong ethnic features are seen as not pretty. We’re used to people whose features are toned down because they are a mix of many ethnicities and that’s normal to us.

by Anonymousreply 195March 22, 2018 2:45 PM

I was surprised that she is marrying Ugly Matt Damon.

I adore her. She is perfection in DROP DEAD GORGEOUS, which is turning out to be a real collection of great early career performances for many actresses.

by Anonymousreply 196March 22, 2018 3:26 PM

I regret that I had scheduling conflicts/signed contracts, and could not work on MARIE ANTOINETTE as a draper for her costumes.

by Anonymousreply 197March 22, 2018 3:27 PM

I was happy to see her with Jesse Plemons after all the pretty boys (most of whom have gay rumors). He's a great actor and very low, he probably adores her and really appreciates her.

by Anonymousreply 198March 22, 2018 3:29 PM

Kirsten Drunkst.

by Anonymousreply 199March 22, 2018 5:13 PM

I'm not so keen on Plemons. Decent actor but personally blank, no personality or history to him. Which may be why she likes him after the so-called pretty boys.

He's unattractive by any standard, his personal presentation is the worst he always looks like he just came from work at a Waco feed store. Ripped unwashed clothes and a trucker hat. He also smokes around her, has cigs in his pockets and in one pap shot had a lit one just inches from her face while pregnant. sorry but I'd like better for the Kikster.

by Anonymousreply 200March 23, 2018 1:15 AM

When is she due?

by Anonymousreply 201March 23, 2018 6:25 PM

r134 "Anyways"? Oh dear.

by Anonymousreply 202March 23, 2018 7:32 PM

I love her. I think she’s an excellent actress.

by Anonymousreply 203March 23, 2018 8:10 PM

I love her!! One of my favorite scenes in Jumanji is during all the ruckus at Allan's house, the phone rings and it's Bebe Neuwirth (her aunt) and Judy says "sorry dear, wrong number" in a perfect grown-up British accent.

by Anonymousreply 204March 23, 2018 8:19 PM

Two years ago it was announced she was to direct Sylvia Plath's THE BELL JAR remake, with Dakota Fanning and Plemons.

I wonder if it will ever happen.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 205March 23, 2018 8:27 PM

She is doing a new show for Youtube with George Clooney producing. Bet it will be good. I bet she is very sought after since the acclaim she received in Fargo Season 2.

by Anonymousreply 206October 30, 2018 11:28 PM

She would have made a great Betty Draper.

by Anonymousreply 207October 30, 2018 11:31 PM

Just mentioned her the other day in the Vox Lux thread, and how great she would have been in the lead in that (rather than Portman). She's close pals with the director, Brady Corbet, so you wonder if she was considered.

by Anonymousreply 208October 31, 2018 1:42 AM

She's given great performances in some of my favorite movies, including one of my faves--THE VIRGIN SUICIDES, one of the best adaptations of a book I've ever seen.

by Anonymousreply 209October 31, 2018 2:07 AM

She's a mom now

by Anonymousreply 210October 31, 2018 2:14 AM

She's likeable and on the plain side. A good actress, but not beautiful (let's be honest).

by Anonymousreply 211October 31, 2018 2:25 AM

In a way it's too bad she got pregnant when she did, because the current mini-series she's filming was originally supposed to be on AMC and directed by Yorgos Lanthimos. I would give my right eye to see what would have transpired with Kiki in lead and him at the helm. Nothing short of briliant. I think she took time off and he got sidetracked by The Favorite. A shame.

by Anonymousreply 212October 31, 2018 2:26 AM

She was prettiest in The Virgin Suicides. Also Josh Hartnett was hottest in that too.

by Anonymousreply 213October 31, 2018 2:30 AM

Who doesn't love Kiki?

by Anonymousreply 214October 31, 2018 2:31 AM

I goddamn love her.

by Anonymousreply 215October 31, 2018 2:42 AM

She was really good in Fargo

by Anonymousreply 216October 31, 2018 2:56 AM

She is lovely but...

like every woman in Hollywood

She has implants and had a subtle nose job

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 217October 31, 2018 4:34 AM

She put on a few pounds for Fargo. That suited her.

by Anonymousreply 218October 31, 2018 6:38 AM

She doesn't look like she had a nose job, her nose looks the same to me

by Anonymousreply 219October 31, 2018 3:31 PM

If she did have work done, she still manages to look like herself, which is better than a LOT of actresses.

by Anonymousreply 220October 31, 2018 4:51 PM

She has "IT"

by Anonymousreply 221October 31, 2018 5:47 PM

One of the finest American actresses of her generation. Photographs amazingly - can be plain or beautiful - depending, which adds to her screen impact.

by Anonymousreply 222October 31, 2018 6:00 PM

I want to see Melancholia, but am afraid it will be too depressing. Lars Van Triers is dicey. I hated the misogynistic Dogville so bad, and felt like I needed a Silkwood shower after watching it. Nymphomaniac I & II were incredibly disturbing, yet mesmerizing at the same time. What do you think, DL? Should I give Melancholia a go?

by Anonymousreply 223October 31, 2018 6:27 PM

Melancholia is great and Kirsten is great in it

by Anonymousreply 224October 31, 2018 6:45 PM

R224 Thanks. Watching it.

by Anonymousreply 225October 31, 2018 6:48 PM

Love her. She has depth.

by Anonymousreply 226October 31, 2018 9:37 PM

Can't believe she has never been nominated for an Oscar and Lady Gaga beat her at The Golden Globes.

by Anonymousreply 227October 31, 2018 10:24 PM

He're a little factoid most people don't know: Baby Dunst was the model for this cover of THE BABYSITTERS CLUB.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 228October 31, 2018 10:25 PM

Let's try that again:

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 229October 31, 2018 10:26 PM

I love all the Kiki love here. She was ridiculed through the Aughts by that pig Perez Hilton.

by Anonymousreply 230October 31, 2018 10:27 PM

R195 true. This is an extremely unpopular opinion, but I find distinctly featured faces, whether they are Belgian, Italian, Scandinavian, Japanese ,etc more interesting and beautiful to me visually than the bland, ethnically mixed look that is considered most attractive in This country. Often times Americans will label anyone without tiny proportioned, even features unattractive. I don't find Americans hideous or anything, their faces just aren't as appealing to me.

by Anonymousreply 231October 31, 2018 11:03 PM

She does look more european. J. Law is the most flyover looking mutt of all. She looks like she milks cows in wisconsin. Do the french think K. Stew is relatable? She is all over Chanel ads and makes french movies.

by Anonymousreply 232October 31, 2018 11:31 PM

J.Law is from Kentucky.

by Anonymousreply 233October 31, 2018 11:39 PM

She has cute dimples.

by Anonymousreply 234November 1, 2018 1:22 AM

[post redacted because linking to dailymail.co.uk clearly indicates that the poster is either a troll or an idiot (probably both, honestly.) Our advice is that you just ignore this poster but whatever you do, don't click on any link to this putrid rag.]

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 235November 21, 2018 1:05 AM

WTF R235

by Anonymousreply 236November 21, 2018 1:49 AM

R227 This! She was perfect in Fargo.

by Anonymousreply 237November 21, 2018 1:58 AM

few actresses have the ability to ruin every movie they are in with their ennui and fatigue of life energy

she is one.

by Anonymousreply 238November 21, 2018 2:18 AM

Pics

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 239November 21, 2018 2:25 AM

And more

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 240November 21, 2018 2:27 AM

Love her and her looks but she has really aged a lot in the last few.

by Anonymousreply 241November 21, 2018 2:31 AM

I think her breasts are real. She's always been busty. The pics at r217 just look like a little weight gain to me.

by Anonymousreply 242November 21, 2018 2:34 AM

She's put on weight since giving birth, but is clearly taking her time to get back into any kind of shape. That may be deliberate, as she's currently playing a down and out, trailer-trashy type living on the skids. Getting into the role as they say.

She still looks cute. And yes her boobs are real. Also, she's never had plastic surgery. People aren't used to seeing 36 year old actresses looking their natural, unmodified selves.

by Anonymousreply 243November 21, 2018 2:35 AM

The bit of weight she has looks good in her.

by Anonymousreply 244November 21, 2018 2:53 AM

Wow, carrying extra weight does not look good on her.

by Anonymousreply 245November 21, 2018 2:57 AM

Dorothy Duffy (of "Magdalene Sisters" fame) and Kirsten could pass for sisters

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 246November 21, 2018 3:02 AM

Macha Meril from Dario Argento's Profondo Rosso reminded me of Kirsten as well:

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 247November 21, 2018 3:06 AM

^ She kind of looks like a cross between Kirsten and Naomi Watts

by Anonymousreply 248November 21, 2018 3:06 AM

Oops, that was a stinky linky.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 249November 21, 2018 3:07 AM

It's not so much the weight gain on her as it's the fact she's kinda flabby and way out of shape. A couple of weeks in the gym and she'd snap back no prob I bet.

Plus lay off the booze and cigs. Works wonders.

by Anonymousreply 250November 21, 2018 3:10 AM

R238, no that's Rooney Mara

by Anonymousreply 251November 21, 2018 5:18 AM

She is German-American

by Anonymousreply 252November 21, 2018 7:46 AM

This new show looks amazing. She has done a great job navigating her career and choosing great roles. One exception would be that dreadful Woodshock film she did last year.

by Anonymousreply 253November 21, 2018 5:02 PM

[quote]r211She's likeable and on the plain side. A good actress, but not beautiful (let's be honest).

I think she's beautiful. Not in a bombshell way...but still beautiful (at least when she's glammed up for jobs)

She has an ideal face for an actyress, as she can be made to look pretty, or plainer..

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 254November 21, 2018 9:56 PM

She has modeled for many high-end fashions houses such as Prada-she is beautiful.

by Anonymousreply 255November 21, 2018 10:08 PM

Really see no signs of a nose job--not even tip refinement. Breasts look real as well, given how they hang, but that's always harder to tell in clothed shots and they are large for her frame.

Like her a lot as a film actress--she has that star quality of being really alive on film. She was the best thing in that film about the Hearst murder as Marion Davies and she was remarkable in Melancholia--wish Von Trier had kept his mouth shut, so she could have gotten her deserved Oscar nomination.

by Anonymousreply 256November 21, 2018 10:19 PM

It’s funny because 40 years ago or so she would have been considered close to the ideal, with her very clearly “Aryan good looks,” - nowadays there’s no longer a hierarchy of Northern European looks begins considered “better,” and if anything her type is considered sexless.

But I think she’s prettier than many of the more hyped “beauties.”

by Anonymousreply 257November 22, 2018 4:30 AM

I mentioned in another thread that her and Portman are my fav actresses. Both seem like cool chicks off-screen as well but besides having a lot in common, seem quite opposite. They even have mutual friends, the Rodarte sisters. But Kiki seems more fun and down to earth. Portman is stunning and smart but Kiki seems...cooler...any thoughts?

by Anonymousreply 258December 17, 2018 8:16 PM

Portman has perhaps the slight benefit of having gone off to college (Harvard) for four years, which likely helped her personal life and development along. Kiki at 18 was embroiled in a short standoff with her Mom/Manager, who she had to technically "fire" in order to gain control of her finances and overall career direction. I don't think it did lasting harm, as she's always been very close to her mom and still is, but it may have taken up time that may have been better spent.

I also responded in the other thread and mentioned NatPort has always had steady ambition: acting, writing, directing, got her Oscar early. Kiki has been way more laid back re those things, she took a lot of time off around 2009 or so and has yet to get back to the level of film output she had at that time. I think she just works when she wants, with who she wants when it suits her. She's had financial considerations, for ex she supports her household and he mom's (and more so now with her new baby), but is probably well invested, plus lives frugally out in the Valley so has lower costs.

by Anonymousreply 259December 18, 2018 1:17 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!