Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

GoodReads

Do any of you review books on that website?

I've been casually reviewing books I like to sort through my readings. I posted a four-star review of 'Call Me By Your Name,' and then a few days later, posted a review of another book. I noticed a comment on my previous review, a sort of drive-by swipe, citing me as stupid for liking it.

Then I checked that person's reviews and saw a bunch of vindictive hateful reviews of classics, and an adoring bunch of reviews for obscure titles. That person, and his friends, had hundreds of reviews, and comments, and interactions attacking other authors like tin ducks in a carnival shooting gallery. It's like a flock of professional trolls.

I also noticed a few of my not-so-favorite gay books being lauded by a lot of women as utterly fantastic! With animated gifs and all sorts of gushing praise.

Are any of you on there, and are you one of the 'nice' ones, or a nasty troll, as some here on DL behave?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 44May 27, 2019 9:15 PM

I have reviewed many books there, and am a nice person.

by Anonymousreply 1December 21, 2016 5:22 AM

I'm on there. I rate stuff, but I don't usually bother to review anything. I just like having a record of what I've read over the years.

by Anonymousreply 2December 21, 2016 5:28 AM

I didn't reply to the snarky comment, because it just seemed like bait. It seems like that person's a 24/7 resident there. I guess I'll just block that person, but I am a bit fascinated by the way people interact there. It seems very clique-ish.

by Anonymousreply 3December 21, 2016 5:36 AM

Internet = insane people who have finally been able to reach out to the world from the safety of their basements OP.

Why is this a surprise? You should be used to it from posting on Datalounge.

by Anonymousreply 4December 21, 2016 6:00 AM

Well, yes; here, we're anonymous (I hope) and expected to be eccentric and bitchy. But I found it odd that people who are kind of not anonymous would call Pulitzer Prize-winners and bestsellers "boring." and give them one-star reviews.

by Anonymousreply 5December 21, 2016 6:04 AM

I review on there a lot. I like it and kind of love when the morons show up on my reviews. R5, I understand you're talking about a certain cabal of trolls but aren't there any Pulitzer Prize-winning or bestselling books that you'd give one star?

by Anonymousreply 6December 21, 2016 6:32 AM

"bestselling books that you'd give one star? "

Oh, yes; my guilty pleasure are those horrid yet bestselling female romances with Scottish studs lifting their kilts. Pure trash!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 7December 21, 2016 6:52 AM

I don't review on Goodreads. I sometimes review on Amazon. I've heard some nasty stuff goes on at Goodreads though and most authors avoid it like the plague. (Don't know how true that is though) I'm not sure why you feel the need to tell everyone that there are lots of women who like gay books that you don't like. So what? Do you think your opinion on gay books is more valid in some way? Not trying to be nasty here, just want to know.

by Anonymousreply 8December 21, 2016 7:13 AM

Some woman reviewed the 50 Shades of Grey trilogy on that site and they were the funniest, best things ever.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 9December 21, 2016 7:17 AM

The problem with Goodreads is that people use it for validation rather than expressing a genuine opinion. When they make a comment on a book, they don't actually care about the comment, what they are really trying to do is get other people to like their comments so they can feel all important.

by Anonymousreply 10December 21, 2016 7:40 AM

The problem with Data Lounge is that people use it for validation rather than expressing a genuine opinion. When they make a comment on a topic, they don't actually care about the comment, what they are really trying to do is get other people to like their comments so they can feel all important.

by Anonymousreply 11December 21, 2016 7:46 AM

I don't pay that much attention to whether folks love my reviews or not. I want to give someone who is considering the book an idea of what to expect.

by Anonymousreply 12December 21, 2016 3:32 PM

Like R2, I signed up primarily to use the site to track my reading. I rate but do not review. I very rarely read any comments or reviews. I will occasionally read some comments after finishing a book and am curious to see how others felt about the book or to clarify some understanding. But I'm usually done after a few minutes. GR just doesn't hold my attention.

I also use the annual Challenge to stay on course of reading regularly. It was derailed by the election though. So aimed for 30 books and only completed 18. I read 27 last year so I thought 30 was a reasonable goal. I don't know how people can read 100 books a year. Guess it would help if I pried myself away from the internet...

by Anonymousreply 13December 21, 2016 4:02 PM

R13 is only 14 but reads at a 11th-grade level.

by Anonymousreply 14December 21, 2016 4:34 PM

R14 must be one of the GR trolls who made his way to DL.

by Anonymousreply 15December 21, 2016 4:43 PM

Sorry, a little off topic, but I'm still trying to figure out why and how RHONJ convicted felon and Trump lover/voter Teresa Guidice's book got bad reviews everywhere, especially GoodReads and yet she made it to the NYTimes Best Seller list for many consecutive weeks. And for a while it was #2 on the NYTBS. I saw excerpts of her book and it was pure trash. Most of the GR reviews said that although she had a ghost writer (since she can't string enough words together to form a coherent sentence and also has the vocabulary of a 6th grader) it was still bad.

The Reply to those on GR who rated her book poorly was; "You didn't read the book, did you." Anyway, due to GR trolling I do not take the reviews on there seriously.

by Anonymousreply 16December 21, 2016 4:54 PM

Drama! Racism! Bullying! Hate campaigns! This is just a sliver of the professional trolling that goes on at GoodReads:

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 17December 21, 2016 5:00 PM

I rate but don't review, have found Goodreads to be slightly low-brow. If I want serious criticism and evaluation I'll read London/NY Review of Books.

by Anonymousreply 18December 21, 2016 5:03 PM

I'm with r2, r13 and r13 with the rate but don't review. I do have annual reading challenges. I review if a book is exceptional in either a bad or good way.

I haven't seen much lately of the use of animated gifs as reviewing tools "When I picked up _Reel Me Around the Fountain_ I was like [animated gif] and when the supersnarky boy went like [animated gif] I was all [animated gif] until the part in Santorini where he met up with the local lad and I was like [animated gif]." That could be a fad amusement I guess: pretending to be a 14-year-old reviewing literature classics like they were her first John Green novel.

by Anonymousreply 19December 21, 2016 5:11 PM

I too once got lost down the rabbit hole of reading a lot of longwinded "feels"-filled gif-y women reviews of gay books. It was like being stuck in a maze of teenage girls' bedrooms, each cluttered with Teen Beat posters.

by Anonymousreply 20December 21, 2016 5:14 PM

Urgh, I meant r18. So sorry. No glasses and no coffee means tedious typos and yawn-rich apologies.

by Anonymousreply 21December 21, 2016 5:15 PM

Goodreads has the same problem as many book stores. Trashy 'M/M' fiction, erotic fiction about gay men written by and for women, drowns out gay fiction. Really they are different categories and should not be mixed up.

by Anonymousreply 22December 21, 2016 5:22 PM

Romance Week 2019

Your one true love is waiting for you. Find your perfect match with irresistible book recommendations, reading guides, retellings, and more!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 23February 16, 2019 9:28 AM

[quote]I don't pay that much attention to whether folks love my reviews or not.

I do. I wrote about 10 reviews 10 years ago and I think I've had ONE SINGLE "like".

by Anonymousreply 24February 16, 2019 9:35 AM

I like LibraryThing for cataloging my books, because the recommendations system and the tagging is more sophisticated.

by Anonymousreply 25February 16, 2019 2:32 PM

I've gotten some of the best recommendations for books I've enjoyed over the last few years from the various book threads right here on DL. And that's been for both contemporary fiction and even Victorian literature. There are a lot of smart people here, believe it or not!

Since I buy a lot of books through Amazon I also read their reader reviews, usually starting with the 3 star ("most critical") reviews which can be more balanced than the 5 stars.

I'm registered with Goodreads but rarely look at it.

by Anonymousreply 26February 16, 2019 2:41 PM

[quote]There are a lot of smart people here, believe it or not!

Thank you, gurl.

by Anonymousreply 27February 16, 2019 2:50 PM

I still write reviews for GoodReads because the books I read are of no interest to my friends. I feel that I want to share my feelings about a book I've just read. I rarely get any feedback from a review I've written. I first got involved with GoodReads about 6 years ago when I joined The Year of Reading Proust discussion - I thought it might be helpful to have like minded individuals accompany me as I read In Search of Lost Time. The discussion was essentially restricted to a small clique of women so I never felt inclined to join the conversation. I also joined a discussion "Never Too Late to Read Classics" but dropped out when a member told me I should have flagged my comment as a "spoiler" - I had mentioned that Cathy Linton died in Wuthering Heights . No doubt I'll continue with reviews, but I won't rely on GoodReads for social networking.

by Anonymousreply 28February 16, 2019 11:05 PM

Atlas Shrugged has an average rating of 4.09 out of a possible 5. Is Goodreads a conservative site?

by Anonymousreply 29February 16, 2019 11:17 PM

Popular High Fantasy Books

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 30February 19, 2019 10:28 PM

Most Read This Week In High Fantasy

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 31February 19, 2019 10:32 PM

Most Read This Week In Historical Fiction

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 32February 21, 2019 9:30 PM

How to Read 80ish Books a Year (And Actually Remember Them)

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 33February 24, 2019 8:54 AM

I love reading the one star Goodreads reviews of books I truly hate, like Eleanor Catton's The Luminaries.

by Anonymousreply 34February 24, 2019 9:04 AM

R29: more like those who read and love that book are more likely to promote and review it. The site attracts all kinds of users, across the political spectrum.

by Anonymousreply 35February 24, 2019 10:04 AM

R28 You sound like a really interesting person. I wish there was s way to connect. I can't stand the cliquish discussion groups either.

by Anonymousreply 36April 20, 2019 8:39 PM

The links at R30-32 confirm what I suspected the few times I've been there, that readership is mostly very conventional, uncurious women/girls of 14-34 with very middlebrow tastes.

by Anonymousreply 37April 20, 2019 11:09 PM

Hey Y’all,

We’ve been reading together for awhile and we don’t know about you, but we’re ready to hear your thoughts and opinions. This group is a place where we can discuss Reese’s Picks.

After the book is announced, the Hello Sunshine team will post a few questions from the discussions we’ve had in the office and add your questions throughout the month. You can still find all our other content on Facebook and Instagram.

Join us, invite your friends, break open a bottle of wine or grab a cup of coffee and let’s get this book club going!

Cheers,

Reese’s Book Club X Hello Sunshine

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 38April 21, 2019 11:02 AM

2019 READING CHALLENGE

2776860 people participating - Motivate yourself to read more books: Enter the 2019 Reading Challenge!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 39April 28, 2019 5:33 AM

OP is a racist troll.

by Anonymousreply 40April 28, 2019 7:13 AM

That's probably why he got attacked.

by Anonymousreply 41April 28, 2019 7:14 AM

The Master List of 2019 Reading Challenges

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 42April 28, 2019 7:46 AM

Most Read This Week In Scandinavian Literature

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 43April 28, 2019 9:59 AM

Downton Abbey-esque Books

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 44May 27, 2019 9:15 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!