Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

Which essential oil is the best for giving a nice smell to a room?

I've bought lavender essential oil because of positive reviews in amazon but I don't like the smell. Then I bought patcholi and its doesn't smell like the parcholi I once smelled in a store in south beach, that patcholi smelled sweet but the one I bought clearly smells woody and it doesnt linger in the air. Im starting to think that essential oils are just a scam cuz they dont smell as good as sellers want us to think.

by Anonymousreply 9501/09/2017

If you don't like the camphorous quality of lavender, avoid tea tree and eucalyptus. Most people like sandalwood. Some sandal oils are hard to come by because the trees are still maturing (Mysore) but cheaper sandalwood might be available. You might like vetiver, which is a sort of sweetgrass smell with only a hint of camphor/herbal quality.

Do you like spice and/or incense? Frankincense and myrrh is a good combo, especially this time of year.

by Anonymousreply 112/12/2016

Thanks but I don't really know much about essential oils. The terms smells like alcamphor or spicy/incence is confusing becuase I don't classify smells that way. So, can you recommend a good natural oil? Im using an aerosol diffuser.

Long time ago I smelled an oil and I was told that it was made in Peru from birds, I think they extract that oil from their eggs. I don't remmember its name, so if anyone here knows what Im talking about please let me know its name so I can buy it. That oil is white, and it looks like semen (but I might be wrong) but it smells delicious.

by Anonymousreply 212/12/2016

anything citrus should be nice.

by Anonymousreply 312/12/2016

R2 From birds?! I'm not familiar with that. It sounds like you're talking about Peru balsam, which is a resin from a tree. It is a wonderful smell: Creamy vanillic, a tiny hint astringent (in a birch way) and softly woodsy.

"Camporhous" means that fresh sensation you get from cough drops or Tiger Balm. Like mentholated but spicier.

You might also like Benzoin, which is what was in old hospital cleaners. It's fresh smelling, sweetly clean. Think "sweetwater". Spikenard was another addition to old cleaners but if you don't like Lavender, it will be too astringent for you.

by Anonymousreply 412/12/2016

Hot Masc Dude Armpit Essential Oil, new from Glade

by Anonymousreply 512/12/2016

R5 Cumin + musk is a good approximation.

by Anonymousreply 612/12/2016

Right now I am using lavender with a drop of peppermint. Calming and a little festive.

by Anonymousreply 712/12/2016

Thanks, OP. Please give us an update on your scrap booking, MARY.

by Anonymousreply 812/12/2016

I like Nag Champa. I have two oil diffusers--one in the living room and one downstairs in family room--and everyone remarks how wonderful the house smells.

by Anonymousreply 912/12/2016

FART oil works

by Anonymousreply 1012/12/2016

Head cheese and leche

by Anonymousreply 1112/12/2016

R8 You're a sitting duck. You'll be seduced someday by someone who knows what they're doing with the language of scent and have no idea how you got there.

by Anonymousreply 1212/12/2016

Huile de la pousée de Cheryl

by Anonymousreply 1312/12/2016

The only blend that I've noticed makes my friends' husbands nervous, was frankincense and myrrh. They were visibly uncomfortable and kept losing their train of thought within arm's length distance.

by Anonymousreply 1412/12/2016

Don't they release chemicals that are dangerous for ones health? And should be used only in well ventilated areas

by Anonymousreply 1512/12/2016

Wesson.

by Anonymousreply 1612/12/2016

R15 No one should be swimming in any essential oil and they all have their own risks at high levels but mostly just to pregnant women (some oils can possibly induce labor).

No one should be bathing in scent, period.

by Anonymousreply 1712/12/2016

lemon oil smells pretty good through a diffuser

by Anonymousreply 1812/12/2016

R18 Very good if you want your house to just smell clean. Citrus should be mixed with spice if you want more interest to the scent because most domestic products are scented with some blend of citrus and that's what people culturally associate citrus with.

by Anonymousreply 1912/12/2016

Rosemary oil is supposed to be very helpful for people with early stage Alzheimer's.

by Anonymousreply 2012/12/2016

Mastic is a very masculine smell.

by Anonymousreply 2112/12/2016

R20 Rosemary, basil and black pepper is a good blend for aiding memory. There's actually some promising research out there about scent and memory retrieval for those dealing with the early stages of Alzheimer's.

by Anonymousreply 2212/12/2016

More masculine smells besides Mastic: Clove, nutmeg and licorice.

by Anonymousreply 2312/12/2016

Hot fresh cum

by Anonymousreply 2412/12/2016

Bergamot. Has euphoric inducing properties. Rose Otto - very expensive essential oil but makes you feel like you're in an English rose garden on a beautiful summer's day. See Link for ideas and how to get the most out of your aromatherapy oils.

by Anonymousreply 2512/12/2016

R24 Ambergris and almond is the closest approximation.

by Anonymousreply 2612/12/2016

R23 The smell of licorice is anise, star anise.

by Anonymousreply 2712/12/2016

The key to wearing anything is to have the lightest application possible. don't dump, mist or rub all over. A dab will do ya'.

by Anonymousreply 2812/12/2016

[quote] Im starting to think that essential oils are just a scam

Gee, ya think?

by Anonymousreply 2912/12/2016

[quote] Mastic is a very masculine smell.

Holy crap.

Do you know where Mastic is?

It's right next to Shirley and it's been a high crime area since forever

by Anonymousreply 3012/12/2016

R29 They're not a scam if you just like the way they smell, which I think is the only thing the op is concerned about. I make no claims about health benefits. The only health benefits I can suggest is that if used artfully, they might help get your pipes cleaned.

by Anonymousreply 3112/12/2016

I used lemon, orange and cedarwood.

by Anonymousreply 3212/12/2016

I wash all my bedding at least once per week and use a linen spray which I imagine has essential oils. I find them at Home Goods for anywhere from 5.00-10.00 for a large bottle. I'm currently using Pecksniff's sandalwood and vanilla, made in England. I find the linen sprays are lighter, not too heady....more natural. There's really no substitute for just keeping things washed and clean, from previous threads it seems a lot of people go weeks even months without washing their bedding, which is bound to create a wafting funk.

by Anonymousreply 3312/12/2016

R6 Cumin, cardamom , & coconut make for a magnifique Mulligatawny soup. You will feel like you're transported to Rajasthan!

R24 Figs are nature's brown diamonds.In the Fall , the rotting leaves smell like an Olympian's ejaculate.

by Anonymousreply 3412/12/2016

Don't shoot the messenger, R34.

by Anonymousreply 3512/12/2016

OP, the problem with essential oils is that the term essential oil is not regulated in any way. So you might be buying pure plant based oils, or you might get some random mixture of natural and artificial oils diluted with a carrier oil (these are also called perfume oils).

The best way to figure this out is to educate yourself. Go to a good scent shop or health food store, and start sniffing the sample bottles they have out. I recommend starting with a brand that includes pure, individual scents. You'll learn what you like. By asking some questions, you can learn which are better quality brands. Take a few notes on what you like and what you learn.

Things that smell nice: Men prefer spicy and sweet scents, so think cinnamon, vanilla, allspice. You might like some floral smells, so look into rose geranium and freesia. Bergamot is an unusual citrus fragrance that many like and it doesn't smell like the typical lemon-citrus cleanser. Some like benzoin or cedar. A couple fragrances that are love-it-or-hate-it include lavender and patchouli. Sandalwood smells great to many but it is very expensive (over $50/oz these days) and currently endangered, and fake and mislabeled versions are everywhere.

by Anonymousreply 3612/12/2016

I add eucalyptus oil from Whole Foods to my humidifier. I love the scent and it also helps my respiratory system in the dry winter air.

by Anonymousreply 3712/12/2016

A good-quality essential oil is important. In this case, generally a higher priced essential oil will be better than some bottled crap from Walmart or a craft store. Whole Foods has a decent selection, and its staff tend to be knowledgeable. A good online source is massagewarehouse . com. Obviously, you can't smell something online, but its descriptions are accurate.

OP, you might like a premixed blend, so you can base your choice on the description you read. Think about whether you tend to like categories such as citrus, flowery, evergreen, musk, etc., and go from there. Since scents can be made of a variety of ingredients, finding a match to something you recall will be very hit-or-miss.

Massage therapists tend to have a collection of essential oils on hand. Maybe grab a massage, bring up this topic, and sample the ones he/she has on hand.

If you're not opposed to aerosols, I have found Febreze Unstoppables to be pleasantly scented and very long-lasting (many hours long). I prefer Shimmer.

by Anonymousreply 3812/12/2016

Citrus, orange or lemon.

by Anonymousreply 3912/12/2016

I always preferred JetA.

by Anonymousreply 4012/12/2016

R26 and R34 I found that an open bottle of bleach smells the same.

by Anonymousreply 4112/12/2016

Here is the best way to diffuse essential oils. I have one and use it every day.

by Anonymousreply 4212/12/2016

I use liquid potpourri or Vanilla extract in a small electric crock pot.

by Anonymousreply 4312/12/2016

An essential oil kit is probably the best thing to try if you're still figuring out what scents you like. Tip: Only use 100% pure essential oil.

by Anonymousreply 4412/12/2016

I just put a few drops of essential oil on a cotton ball and jam it in my weed vaporizer. That shit is STRONG and the vapors from certain oils (peppermint!) even burn my eyes. Am I harming myself by doing this? I read somewhere that spiders hate peppermint, so that's why I smokebox this place with peppermint oil from time to time.

by Anonymousreply 4512/12/2016

I use the same, R42. I have two.

by Anonymousreply 4612/12/2016

R45 Spiders hate lavender, as do scorpions and other pinchy, bitey critters.

by Anonymousreply 4712/12/2016

I haven't read any of the posts in this thread but my cousin told me that essential oils are the new wonderdrug. Do they have essential oils for Chron's disease? I was told by a friend of mine an RN (with a BS) that I had the symptoms of Chrohn's disease but when I went to the doctor's a couple of weeks ago in order to get proof of my disease so I could file a claim with my former employer, the doctor told me that it was probably psychosomatic! I don't have the money to go to another doctor (and I didn't pay for that one, let me tell you! LOL!). I already take something for my lactose intolerance (over the counter!) but I need something to alleviate my Chrohn's.

by Anonymousreply 4812/12/2016

Try simmering orange peels. Add a little vanilla extract. Oooh la la.

by Anonymousreply 4912/12/2016

R35 I just wanted to make a Myrtle Snow reference , lol. Sorry.

@OP Essential oils tend to smell toooo organic such that you normally have to mix other oils to create a pleasant effect. Brands matter so that could be a factor. Some lavenders really smell like a field of grass with flowers in it just got mowed, so they can be underwhelming/aggravating. Lavender is good with aromatics : clary sage , jasmine , lemon or lemongrass , vanilla , or chamomile. Patchouli tends to vary a lot so you kinda have to play around with stuff to find what makes it tolerable. Bergamot, sandalwood, and frankenscence are highly agreeable with almost anything so try a few drops of any or all of those. Play around with the proportions and use a carrier oil to dilute the scents. Hope this helps !

by Anonymousreply 5012/12/2016

Lemongrass, rosemary and lemon oils. Blended together smell so, so clean. I love walking into my house with this smell.

by Anonymousreply 5112/12/2016

I want an essential oil or a blend that smells clean and fresh for the bedrooms, the kitchen and my living room, and for the bathroom an oil with a sweet but strong scent to flowers or fruits.

by Anonymousreply 5212/12/2016

Has no one mentioned Ylang ylang? It's wonderful in bedrooms and combines well.

by Anonymousreply 5312/12/2016

R52: I would personally describe Lemon Verbena as 'clean and fresh', and it is lovely for kitchens.

by Anonymousreply 5412/12/2016

Ylang ylang is a nice fragrance but not what I'd classify as a nice "fresh" scent. It is somewhat heavy. But I like it mostly in winter.

Health Benefits Of Jasmine Essential Oil

Jasmine is a very famous flower. It has a strong yet sweet, pleasing and romantic fragrance, which is very common in flowers which bloom only at night. Girls are often named “Jasmine”, primarily in the Middle Eastern region and the Indian Subcontinent but also in other parts of the world.

The health benefits of Jasmine Essential Oil can be attributed to its properties as an antidepressant, antiseptic, aphrodisiac, antispasmodic, cicatrisant, expectorant, galactogogue, emmenagogue, parturient, sedative and uterine substance.

by Anonymousreply 5512/12/2016

My favorite: Bergamot

Health Benefits Of Bergamot Essential Oil

Bergamot is a citrus fruit whose rind is used for extracting the Bergamot Essential Oil. The scientific name of bergamot is Citrus Aurantium var. or Citrus Bergamia. It is a tropical plant, but thrives in Europe as well. Its powerful aroma makes it a popular component in many perfumes, and it is often used as the all-important “top note”. It is derived through cold compression, opposed to the steam distillation of many other essential oils.

Antidepressant & Stimulant:

The components of Bergamot Oil, like Alpha Pinene and Limonene, are antidepressant and stimulating in nature. They create a feeling of freshness, joy and energy in cases of sadness and depression by improving the circulation of the blood. They also stimulate hormonal secretions, thereby helping to maintain proper metabolic rates.

This stimulating effect also increases the secretion of digestive juices, bile and insulin, thereby aiding digestion, proper absorption of nutrients, assimilation and decomposition of sugar and the resultant lowering of blood sugar. The hormonal impact of bergamot essential oil is part of the reason that it is so powerful on these neurological and mental conditions.

by Anonymousreply 5612/12/2016

Parsley, sage , rosemary and thyme.

by Anonymousreply 5712/12/2016

Two questions y'all. I use Dr. Bronners castile soap almond scented. I've never bothered to research, but for years I've tried to find other oils with that scent and they don't exist!!! Almond oil has no scent. Why is that and what is in Bronners to give it that scent??? Its my all time favorite.

I looovvvee Sandalwood but would love a brand recommendation. I'm picky with this smell, it needs to be deep notes only.

I absolutely adore a good musk. I have a little bottle I get at Whole Foods, my only complaint is the scent doesn't last. Thoughts? Anyone have a musk brand they adore? I like musk that almost smells like skin and sex. I can't describe it, I've smelled many that are fails. Think Arabian Musk if you're familiar.

Last question...if perfumeries are using these same scents, why are their scents SO much stronger and also so much more complex? It's all very interesting to me.

Lavenders smell incredibly different because there are over 100 varieties of lavender with a wide range of scents. Many are not pleasant.

by Anonymousreply 5812/12/2016

They say when I enter a room, its scent changes forever.

by Anonymousreply 5912/12/2016

I don't think there is even a medical definition or legal definition for "therapeutic grade essential oils" because it is all HOOEY by multilevel marketing fraus! You all sound nutty.

Pick one whose smell you like, but it ain't curing your Alzheimers, colds, flus, or ANYTHING! Still, would you like to earn extra money by being a distributor?

by Anonymousreply 6012/12/2016

Pine for the holidays.

by Anonymousreply 6112/12/2016

Apple Cinnamon, gingerbread spice, or zesty grapefruit. Fresh balsam for the winter.

by Anonymousreply 6212/12/2016

E-V-O-O is my favorite essential oil.

by Anonymousreply 6312/12/2016

A few drops of Scoundrel by Joan Collins on a naked lightbulb will make your room smell divine!

by Anonymousreply 6412/12/2016

The current funniest thread on DL is the duvet controversy, which brought out every funny homo on DL.

The current most tedious thread on DL is this one, which is obviously populated by 95% Frauen.

by Anonymousreply 6512/12/2016

OP is trolling.

by Anonymousreply 6612/12/2016

Which essential oil will get my kid into Harvard?

by Anonymousreply 6712/12/2016

The idiots who dismiss essential oils as "a bunch of plants" are the ones who typically get harmed by them because they don't know how dangerous they are and use them as febreeze. They're medication.

[quote] I don't think there is even a medical definition or legal definition for "therapeutic grade essential oils"

In my country (france) there absolutely is, and they are sold exclusively in pharmacies with a -free- guide in case you don't know what the fuck you're doing because they're extremely dangerous. Some people buy them because they like the scent and put them on their skin, diffuse too much in their air or pop too much of them on neutral tablets and perforate their stomachs. My father got two fat ulcers because he took too much thymus vulgaris during a flu. Four times a day was twice too many, he paid for it although he had been warned by his MD.

I'm in my early thirties and have treated my colds exclusively with peppermint (the kind of colds where your nose is completely blocked) for several years now and they never last more than 24hrs. Peppermint dries and stops the production of mucus. It costs 5€ a bottle (but for efficiency don't keep it longer than six months). By comparison, those sticks you buy in pharmacies that you're supposed to sniff to get relief ? They contain a small, ridiculous amount of peppermint EO and cost twice as much as the real pure thing, and of course they don't work.

Buy the actual oil, put three drops on a tissue and breathe it in for a couple of minutes, it will dislocate the mucus stuck up there and you'll find yourself blowing your nose like mad the following half hour. Put ONE drop on your pillow at night, the next morning the cold is gone. The problem is the people who disregard the dosage and spill it everywhere, put 235 drops on their pillow and wonder why they wake up half blind with a migraine.

EOs must be taken in specific ways for specific stuff. They are active, corrosive mofos that can fuck you up. Some cannot be in contact of the skin at all (they eat the skin), some can only be diffused, others ingested on tablets, etc.

For nice interior smell, you have to use oils that aren't dangerous for prolonged exposure and there are very few of them. Lemon is harmless. You can even ingest it pure. Orange smells nice but after an hour it will give you headaches and dizziness. Ask your pharmacist or get a guide.

by Anonymousreply 6812/13/2016

Nag Champa

by Anonymousreply 6912/13/2016

R56 is full of shit. Do you have data to back up those claims?

by Anonymousreply 7012/13/2016

r70 = simpleton

by Anonymousreply 7112/13/2016

You do know about the Gay Frauen Factor @ DataLounge, don't you, r65 ?

by Anonymousreply 7212/13/2016

Essential oils aren't just for women, R65. It's okay to like how some things smell and to be fascinated by scent. You won't be forcefully castrated by the tribe of man for buying lavender oil. Promise.

by Anonymousreply 7312/13/2016

Robert Sepulveda sells a rich, musky essential oil.

by Anonymousreply 7412/14/2016

So musk essential oil smells like cocks?? I would like to have an oil that smells like a ripe cheesy pinga, I would really love to have an oil like that so that when I put it on my finger and smell it I go like wow!! this smells right like dirty pinga,manly smegma. Anyway I read somewhere that ylanylan is good for hair loss and for giving volume to thinning hair,so I will try it out for good.

by Anonymousreply 7512/14/2016

R24 is Dawson weighing in. Yep. The 50 Load one. The other one too small for that gesture.

by Anonymousreply 7612/14/2016

R75 pooped at my party. Sadness. I like scents.

by Anonymousreply 7712/14/2016

10-W40

by Anonymousreply 7812/14/2016

Is that you again R75? You are an imp!

by Anonymousreply 7912/14/2016

r68, just because a substance is poisonous at certain levels or a toxin, does not make it "pharmaceutical", but I don't know what the fuck they do in France. Essential Oils are NOT medicine.

by Anonymousreply 8012/14/2016

Pennzoil. Works every time. Guaranteed!

by Anonymousreply 8112/15/2016

I love you R64!

by Anonymousreply 8212/17/2016

thieves seems to be a good one

by Anonymousreply 8312/17/2016

guys i'm serious no kidding I really would like to know if there is an oil that smell like smegma if you have ever come across a perfume or something that smells like the real things please tell us about it

by Anonymousreply 8412/17/2016

I like a little eucalyptus, tee tree, or camphor EO in the mop bucket when I'm cleaning the floors. Makes everything smell bright and clean. I'm also a huge lavender fan but it seems like a lot of people do not like it. Bergamot which smells lemony and sweet is pretty popular with everyone tho.

For you bitches who really love essential oils you must see Eden Botanicals.

Otherwise, I prefer to freshen up my house with Baikundo less smoke incense. It comes in a number of different scents but what you pick will not be very important-- you can't smell anything but a faint sweet smoke aroma. It's made with a special grade of Japanese charcoal that is supposed to remove odors and purify the air. Sounds like hocus pocus but it works. I burn it after cooking and it really gets rid of food smells. It leaves behind only the faintest, most elusive smell of incense.

I know incense has been deeply uncool for decades but the elegant (and expensive!) Japanese types are coming into fashion. They are miles away from Nag Champa, dirty hippies, bong smoke etc.

by Anonymousreply 8512/17/2016

Just fry up a bunch of bacon. Seems like nobody can stop the fuck talking about bacon these days, so why not fill your house with it's lovely aroma!?

by Anonymousreply 8612/17/2016

BUMP

by Anonymousreply 8712/17/2016

Given how much its talked about on this site, I bet stinky pussy oil would have the most impact.

by Anonymousreply 8812/17/2016

Crisco. It'll do you proud --ever time.

by Anonymousreply 8912/17/2016

r88 so if I wear stinky pussy oil as a perfume would I make straight guys fuck me? the stinkier the better?

by Anonymousreply 9012/17/2016

If you just want something to make your house smell good, you might like combinations of essential oils like those used in the Fresh Wave product line. There's a huge range of products - ALL overpriced, in my opinion, but they do smell really good. The scent is a combination of lime, pine needles, aniseed, clove and cedarwood.

by Anonymousreply 9112/17/2016

Ylang ylang is a smell often associated with Spa's.

by Anonymousreply 9212/17/2016

Maroilles

by Anonymousreply 9312/17/2016

I bought a few essential oils and I just dont like the way they smell.I bought these ones:

Eucaliptus, benzoin, rosemary, bergamot, vanilla, lemongrass, grapefruit, ylangylang, and lemon.

The only one that I found somewhat good was grapefruit, ylangylang remains me to formaldehyde, the smell of morgues.bezoin smells wierd and gave me a headache. Bergamot smells just like lemon oil and a little bit to lemongrass. rosemary and Eucaliptus smell alike to me. Definitely I dont think I will use them for their scent anymore but I found they have a bunch of medicinal properties for hair and skin.

I bought an oil diffuser that uses a light bulb that gets hot and the perfume evaporates. Then I realized that when using a light bulb to diffuse perfumes there is always an oily residue left with the same smell of the perfume, so if you can recommend any good perfume that smells really nice for a house I will definitely buy it.

by Anonymousreply 9401/09/2017

Eau de Gowanus Canal is a big seller in Brooklyn

by Anonymousreply 9501/09/2017
Need more help? Click Here.

Follow theDL catch up on what you missed

recent threads by topic delivered to your email

follow popular threads on twitter

follow us on facebook

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!