Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Wheres your head AT, Basement Jaxx fans?

Can we just take a minute to appreciate that three decades into their career, british duo Basement Jaxx are still producing irresistible, exuberant, unabashedly nutty, sparkling globally-influenced house music? They throw everything -- even the proverbial kitchen sink -- at the wall and somehow manage to make it all sound like the sleekest affair. And, what a good choice in guest vocalists over the years from Siouxsie Sioux, Lisa Kekaula, Meshell Ndegeocello, Dizzee Rascal, to Kelis, Yoko Ono, Santigold, Lily Allen, Vula Malinga...

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 30February 3, 2021 6:08 PM

The big, monster, int'l hit..

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 1December 2, 2016 9:51 AM

Siouxsie

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 2December 2, 2016 9:52 AM

Every whore's anthem

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 3December 2, 2016 9:55 AM

Never Say Never - gorgeous

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 4December 2, 2016 9:56 AM

I really love their Kish Kash album which also has a track with JC Chasez (Plug It In).

by Anonymousreply 5December 2, 2016 10:55 AM

Kind of repetitive. Could never really go deep. Fans are a bit douchey.

by Anonymousreply 6December 2, 2016 1:12 PM

This is so good:

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 7February 25, 2020 8:00 AM

They were always around when I was a teenager and I liked them, but never got too deep into them. This thread inspired me to line up their singles and go through them chronologically (currently on "U Don't Know Me") and I'm enjoying it so much. Which album would people recommend as their best? I'm really enjoying the touches of world music mixed throughout. I always remember "Jump 'N' Shout" as a ragga song, but on listening to it again was pleasantly surprised that it also mixes Arabic music underneath. Very cool!

by Anonymousreply 8February 25, 2020 9:39 AM

I wonder why this was the only single at the time left off their "The Singles" album? It was pretty successful, and played heaps back in the day. I read it was written for Janet Jackson originally. I can totally hear it too. The story behind that cracks me up. From wikipedia:

Upon expressing admiration for the Basement Jaxx's debut album Remedy, Janet Jackson contacted the duo to collaborate. Jackson was offered the song for the album, though declined. "She told us she loved our stuff," recalls Buxton, "but she thought we were Zero 7. We wished her every success in hooking up with a British dance duo eventually and said, ‘Cheerio, Celine.' There wasn't a lot of laughter because she was so uptight."

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 9February 26, 2020 2:31 AM

I don't know much of their stuff, but I do love "Romeo".

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 10February 26, 2020 2:34 AM

I get Basement Jaxx confused with Junior Senior

by Anonymousreply 11February 26, 2020 2:36 AM

I've just listened to their first four albums back to back to see what I thought. It's only been once through each so far, but they pretty much match my expectations based on their singles. I would say Kish Kash is the most consistent for me (really only let down by Cosmolude/If I Ever Recover, which brings the momentum to a sudden halt), also was really pleasantly surprised with Crazy Itch Radio, which is right up there with Kish Kash for me. Here is where (so far) they are really upping the whole "world fusion" thing to the next level, and I'm loving it. It sounds like an album you can listen to again and again and keep hearing new things in it.

I actually enjoyed all the albums, but I thought Remedy got a bit sluggish towards the end (the stuff I liked on it though, I really liked), and I know Rooty is considered their best album by everyone, but I honestly thought the following two albums were much more cohesive and interesting.

Will get on to the remaining albums another time. At the moment I'll probably spend a bit more time exploring Kish Kash and Crazy Itch Radio.

by Anonymousreply 12February 28, 2020 11:14 PM

I actually thought Janet would have a better sense of humor. Guess she is as uptight as Madonna (but hides it better).

by Anonymousreply 13February 28, 2020 11:40 PM

This was a great era for edm. Air, chemical bros, basement jaxx.

Bring it all back!

by Anonymousreply 14February 29, 2020 1:27 PM

OP linked a good song.

But Basement Jaxx has always been hit-or-miss with me.

"Romeo" always bugged the shit out of me.

by Anonymousreply 15February 29, 2020 6:01 PM

R15, I really enjoy a lot of Basement Jaxx, but I completely agree with you about "Romeo". It's one of the reasons I rated Rooty lower than the other albums I've listened to.

by Anonymousreply 16February 29, 2020 7:20 PM

A reason why folks from Slavic culture make such good ballet dancers:

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 17March 1, 2020 1:29 AM

Forgot all about this thread! This just popped up on Spotify while I was working out and, MAN, did it get me pumped.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 18May 13, 2020 11:41 PM

Saw them live in Ibiza. Good set.

by Anonymousreply 19May 14, 2020 12:04 AM

I'd totally forgotten Peaches did a remix of "Get Me Off"! Pretty much a new song, in fact.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 20February 3, 2021 9:41 AM

For a long time I thought the lyric was 'Where's Your Hair-net'.

by Anonymousreply 21February 3, 2021 10:11 AM

No Song 4 Mutya?!

by Anonymousreply 22February 3, 2021 10:19 AM

"Song 4 Mutya" was by Groove Amada, R22. But great song, nonetheless. I believe it was originally going to be "4" Estelle.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 23February 3, 2021 10:26 AM

Because he is currently being discussed in another thread - Plug It In feat. JC Chasez

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 24February 3, 2021 10:26 AM

^Armada, I meant, whoops.

by Anonymousreply 25February 3, 2021 10:27 AM

R24, I was just watching this video by coincidence and thinking: "How did I forget this?" Funny how you forget things and then watch them years later and it's completely familiar. Great song.

by Anonymousreply 26February 3, 2021 10:28 AM

R26 One of the joys of Youtube! I really thought JC would break out after the song and video were released.

by Anonymousreply 27February 3, 2021 10:47 AM

JC was mostly cringe. I knew he wouldn't make it.

by Anonymousreply 28February 3, 2021 10:53 AM

Another YES! for r7

by Anonymousreply 29February 3, 2021 11:07 AM

I was just looking up the lyrics to "Plug It In", when it comes to the pre-chorus, I have been so very, very wrong all these years haha.

by Anonymousreply 30February 3, 2021 6:08 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!