Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Question About Sanford And Son

What did Lamont do for a living? He seemed to have his act together. He had nice friends and dated some classy girls. Why didn't he get his own place and visit pop on the weekends to make sure he didn't get himself into trouble with any of his hairbrained schemes?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 105September 5, 2019 1:49 PM

I guess because there wouldn't have been much of a show had he moved out.

by Anonymousreply 1November 25, 2016 12:26 AM

The plot should be Aunt Esther moves in after Lamont gets fed up with Fred and moves out to live his own life.

by Anonymousreply 2November 25, 2016 12:36 AM

Lamont was an asshole to Fred.

by Anonymousreply 3November 25, 2016 12:40 AM

I loved the theme music.

by Anonymousreply 4November 25, 2016 12:49 AM

R2 Yes, it should've been. The best thing about the show was the exchanges between Fred and Esther.

R4 That was the second best thing.

by Anonymousreply 5November 25, 2016 12:59 AM

My favorite episode

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 6November 25, 2016 1:06 AM

[quote]What did Lamont do for a living?

If I'd been around, he could've made a fortune by being my "companion." As long as he was willing to bottom.

by Anonymousreply 7November 25, 2016 1:13 AM

Lamont drove around all day finding the crap that they sold in the junk yard via that red truck. He never left because that was his home/place of employment. Also because Fred appeared to be incapable of taking care of himself, but in reality, he was just being manipulative.

by Anonymousreply 8November 25, 2016 11:36 AM

OP, NBC did try to do "Sanford & Son" without Lamont in 1980. After Redd Foxx left to do his failed variety show on ABC, Redd came back to NBC in 1980 to do a reboot. Demond Wilson apparently didn't want to do it, so they had Lamont get married and move out and some fat white guy (Cal) moved in and took his place. My brother & I used to call him the "white Lamont." After 26 episodes, NBC had enough and cancelled it.

Here's a link to an episode on Youtube and you can see what Sanford without Son would be like (not very good). Plus, I don't think Aunt Esther was around for this show, so that didn't help.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 9November 25, 2016 11:47 AM

Sanford and Son. Back in the day they allowed the N word on network TV.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 10November 25, 2016 11:51 AM

R10, what I find interesting -- and, frankly, surprising -- is that the word is not edited out today. It surprises me only because I've seen vulgar words edited out of some other shows (like "Golden Girls"), though I guess it just depends on the station in question. ("GG" is edited for content on Hallmark but maybe not necessarily on other stations.) Still, given the gravity of the N-word, you would think on family-friendly stations like Antenna TV (which shows "Sanford & Son" along with other staples of the '70s) that the word would be stricken but it's not (which actually pleases me because I hate any kind of censoring).

by Anonymousreply 11November 25, 2016 12:18 PM

LaWanda Page did appear as Aunt Esther in the reboot but, according to Wikipedia, she didn't appear until the second season. Also, Lamont didn't get married, he was away working on the Alaska pipeline.

Reading about the reboot, I've come to realize I had such faulty memories of it as I thought Fred had gotten married (he didn't, she was just his girlfriend) and that she had been played by Mary Alice (she was actually played by Marguerite Ray). Too long ago for me, I guess.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 12November 25, 2016 12:33 PM

R6, that was a good one. These were my favorites:

"Here Comes the Bride, There Goes the Bride"

"A Matter of Life and Breath"

"Lamont Goes African"

"Rated X"

"Libra Rising All Over Lamont"

"The Members of the Wedding"

"Wine, Women & Aunt Esther"

"Mama's Baby, Papa's Maybe"

"Fred Sanford, Legal Eagle"

"Aunt Esther & Uncle Woodrow Pfft ..."

"A Little Extra Security" (one of the Grady eps that didn't feature Redd Foxx)

by Anonymousreply 13November 25, 2016 12:41 PM

As a kid, I had always wanted to see a showdown between Fred Sanford and Archie Bunker.

by Anonymousreply 14November 25, 2016 12:43 PM

Lamont is a minister now.

by Anonymousreply 15November 25, 2016 12:45 PM

The Aunt Esther/Woodrow ep cited at R13 didn't feature Redd Foxx either.

by Anonymousreply 16November 25, 2016 12:51 PM

[Quote]Also, Lamont didn't get married, he was away working on the Alaska pipeline.

Didn't James, the father fom "Goodtimes," also leave the home to go work on the Alaskan pipeline?

by Anonymousreply 17November 25, 2016 12:56 PM

Maybe they hooked up

by Anonymousreply 18November 25, 2016 1:02 PM

Dorothy and Sophia were the white, female version of Fred and Lamont.

by Anonymousreply 19November 25, 2016 1:04 PM

Thanks for the laugh OP!

by Anonymousreply 20November 25, 2016 1:15 PM

Esther I could dip your face in some batter and make me some gorilla cookies

by Anonymousreply 21November 25, 2016 1:26 PM

Sanford and Son was a remake of the British show "Steptoe and Son," where the men were Jews not Negros.

They were "rag and bone men," and the British series is very good but much darker. Although in some cases the scrips on Sanford and Son are used line for line, the overall tone of the British version is very dark. When the son complains about his father, you can see he really is trapped in an awful world and Steptoes live in an actual slum, not a "messy" house like Sanford, or a spit-spot clean housing project like on Good Times.

If you can get a chance check out Steptoe and Son

As for the OP question, Lamont dropped out of high school, so he had no education and on several occasions he did find work elsewhere but since he was a high school drop out, the jobs were very basic and he had to take orders from everyone and would quit. He liked working for his "pop" because he was his own boss and as Fred would say "heir to all this."

by Anonymousreply 22November 25, 2016 1:31 PM

r21

Watch it sucka

by Anonymousreply 23November 25, 2016 1:31 PM

I wonder why they didn't have Lamont go to night school or something. He always seemed really sophisticated compared to his dad. He certainly didn't act like a highschool dropout. I had a big crush on him.

by Anonymousreply 24November 25, 2016 1:40 PM

[quote]Lamont dropped out of high school, so he had no education and on several occasions he did find work elsewhere but since he was a high school drop out, the jobs were very basic and he had to take orders from everyone and would quit. He liked working for his "pop" because he was his own boss and as Fred would say "heir to all this."

This is actually a fit description of how Lamont was when the series first started, but as it progressed, so did his character in that he came off as being a lot more mature than in the early seasons, dressed better (for the '70s at least), and became very accepting of Fred's relationship with Donna, which he at first greatly resented (and tried to sabotage on more than one occasion). I always wondered if these changes were due to Demond Wilson not liking the character as he was initially or just a natural progression that took place on the part of the writers.

Strangely enough, I also feel the show jumped the shark when Redd Foxx returned to the series following his self-exile over money. Whereas Lamont matured, Fred became much sillier and the plots just flat-out ridiculous (the Hawaiian caper, Fred meeting his double "Redd Foxx," that horrible earthquake spoof, etc.), with many episodes that were more embarrassing to watch than funny. Not sure how much longer it lasted after Foxx's return but by that point, the end could not have come soon enough.

by Anonymousreply 25November 25, 2016 1:52 PM

[quote]Fred meeting his double "Redd Foxx,"

That was actually an improvement on the unwatchable late-season [italic]Here's Lucy[/italic] episode they borrowed the concept from.

by Anonymousreply 26November 25, 2016 1:54 PM

He was the junkyard šŸ© dog.

by Anonymousreply 27November 25, 2016 2:02 PM

All the Norman Lear shows went out with a whimper instead of a bang. [italic]All in the Family[/italic] degenerated into the depressing [italic]Archie Bunker's Place[/italic], and [italic]The Jeffersons[/italic] toned down George in a similar fashion (and worst of all, because Mike & Gloria divorced Lionel & Jenny had to, too). [italic]Good Times[/italic] gave Esther Rolle everything she wanted to get her to come back but they totally killed the show in the process. Pulling the plug on [italic]Maude[/italic] when she became a congressional representative was probably for the best and Bea Arthur knew it, and [italic]One Day at a Time[/italic] just plain got old.

The ratings went down when ABC put [italic]Donny and Marie[/italic] opposite it, but NBC didn't want to lose this show because they had no other hit sitcoms but this and [italic]Chico and the Man[/italic], which pretty much died with Freddie Prinze's suicide. Hence the two sequels.

by Anonymousreply 28November 25, 2016 2:02 PM

R22, Steptoe and son is a real downer. You can really feel the hopelessness and desperation of the pair in spite of the laugh track. Do their lives improve throughout the series or does the son end up bludgeoning the father? And how do you know the Steptoes were Jewish? Was their religion worked into the show?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 29November 25, 2016 2:05 PM

IIRC, "Sanford & Son" started off one of the most popular lineups on a Friday night in TV history:

Sanford & Son

Chico & the Man

The Rockford Files

Police Woman

by Anonymousreply 30November 25, 2016 2:09 PM

[quote]how do you know the Steptoes were Jewish? Was their religion worked into the show?

You're correct, I made an error. For some reason I thought they were Jewish, but I can't find any back up.

by Anonymousreply 31November 25, 2016 2:34 PM

Wilfrid Brambell who played father Steptoe was a homosexual.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 32November 25, 2016 2:36 PM

Did the Steptoes have their own Aunt Esther?

by Anonymousreply 33November 25, 2016 3:40 PM

When the show first started, Fred's main nemesis was Ethel, who was another one of his late wife's sisters. Esther came along a while later.

by Anonymousreply 34November 25, 2016 3:49 PM

R17,

On Good Times, James had gone to Mississippi to work as a mechanic; the family were all set to leave the projects and join him when they got the news of his death.

(M-I-crooked letter crooked letter-I-crooked letter crooked letter-I-humpback humpback-I)

by Anonymousreply 35November 25, 2016 4:30 PM

There was this white character actress who would always appear in the first season. I can't think of her name, but you would know her when you'd see her. And Fred would always encounter her in various situations and she would say, "Well, I never" which would set up some joke for Fred which would get lots of laughs.

by Anonymousreply 36November 25, 2016 4:37 PM

[quote]There was this white character actress who would always appear in the first season. I can't think of her name, but you would know her when you'd see her. And Fred would always encounter her in various situations and she would say, "Well, I never" which would set up some joke for Fred which would get lots of laughs.

Fritzi Burr

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 37November 25, 2016 6:35 PM

Aunt Esther is the quintessential DL poster.

by Anonymousreply 38November 25, 2016 7:53 PM

I'm pretty sure Lamont made me aware of my attraction to black men for the first time.

by Anonymousreply 39November 25, 2016 8:10 PM

Thanks for the better info r12 my memory of the reboot isn't too good (I haven't seen it on TV probably since the 80s).

Redd Foxx had to fight with NBC to get LaWanda Page the role of Aunt Esther. NBC didn't want to cast LaWanda based on her stand-up act, which was quite dirty, but Redd insisted that she was right for the part.

Here's a sample of one of her blue comedy albums.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 40November 25, 2016 8:42 PM

That's hilarious that they made her character a church lady.

by Anonymousreply 41November 25, 2016 8:56 PM

LaWanda Page was so fucking funny.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 42November 25, 2016 9:04 PM

R37, Fritzi Burr was also sister in law to S&S producer Saul Turtletaub. She became better known as Mrs. Collins on "What's Happening." Burr spars impressively with Foxx as a nurse. She starts about 13:00

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 43November 25, 2016 9:06 PM

Who was Lamont's buddy, the dope smoking ladies man? Rollie? Something like that? There was an epi where Fred found "weeds" growing in the junkyard and wanted to burn them. Lamont's buddy assured him the best way to burn the weeds was rolled up in little pieces of paper. Somehow then Fred became convinced it was a salad green and fed it to the two dopey cops.

I don't know why I remember that, probably because I was high at the time I watched it and found the weed angle hilarious.

by Anonymousreply 44November 25, 2016 9:19 PM

R22, r29 they were Christians, Church of England I think. There were episodes where they were celebrating Christmas and I remember one where they were collecting stuff for a church jumble sale and the vicar came round.

It is much darker than Sanford and Son and I think it's much funnier too. The one with the escaped convicts who break in but Harold and Albert are so broke the convicts end up giving them cigarettes is particularly poignant.

by Anonymousreply 45November 25, 2016 9:41 PM

R44, Rollo was played by Nathaniel Taylor, who also appeared with Redd Foxx in the "Sanford" reboot and on "The Redd Foxx Show." He was arrested at one point for burglary, though not sure how much time he received, if any.

One of my favorite scenes with him in "Sanford & Son" was in the episode "Rated X" in which Lamont and Rollo, deciding to pursue acting careers, were wondering where they could get 8x10 glossies of themselves to which Fred responded, "Rollo, why don't you just go down to the post office and take one of your pictures down off the wall." It was so clear Taylor could barely contain his own amusement after Foxx delivered that line.

by Anonymousreply 46November 25, 2016 9:54 PM

There was an episode where Fred brings his fiance Judy to meet Lamont. Turns out Lamont and Judy once were an item. She was slightly older than Lamont but quite a bit younger than Fred. Lamont tells Fred about it and Fred is incredulous. He finds out that Lamont went by another named when he was involved with Judy: "who'd he say he was, Superfly?" Anyway, Lamont says everything will work out; he'll marry Judy and they'll all live together. He and Fred retreat to the kitchen to argue, completely shutting Judy out of the conversation. When they come back, she's gone. She leaves them a note saying neither one of them is a candidate for marriage because they're "already married." They wonder what she meant by that...and then start talking and behaving like an old married couple. Fred and Lamont WERE "married' to each other; theirs was a typical, hopelessly co-dependent relationship.

by Anonymousreply 47November 25, 2016 10:00 PM

One of the funniest 70s sitcoms at it's height of popularity. And because of Red Foxx many familiar faces from old movies and TV shows made guest appearances bringing them to a new generation of viewers.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 48November 25, 2016 10:01 PM

Anyone remember the episode where Skillet told Fred that Lamont was gay because he saw him going into a gay bar? It was handled very well especially for the 1970s.

by Anonymousreply 49November 25, 2016 10:03 PM

Redd Foxx was supposedly sterile as a result of adult mumps.

by Anonymousreply 50November 25, 2016 10:04 PM

Here it is!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 51November 25, 2016 10:06 PM

I thought Grady was a great supporting character. The shows where Fred was in St. Louis and Grady was left to the house and cook for Lamont were pretty funny. And Grady delivered one of the funniest lines in the series. When Fred asks whether or not Big Money Grip was kidding about Lamont being his son Grady sensibly replies: "well, you know what they say, Fred...Mama's baby, Papa's maybe."

by Anonymousreply 52November 25, 2016 10:13 PM

I agree, R52. Grady was a wonderful character and Whitman Mayo did a fantastic job filling in while Redd Foxx was off the show. He was even just as funny as Foxx going toe-to-toe with Aunt Esther.

Ironically, one of the worst episodes of "Sanford & Son" was the one in which Grady went home to visit his daughter and her family, which was used as the launching pad for the horrid spinoff, "Grady," which didn't last very long. Luckily, Mayo was able to return to "S&S" right after it was canceled.

by Anonymousreply 53November 25, 2016 10:26 PM

I WANT MY DADDY'S RECORDS

by Anonymousreply 54November 25, 2016 10:28 PM

I love you R54!

by Anonymousreply 55November 25, 2016 10:32 PM

Who wants a glass of this ripple?

by Anonymousreply 56November 25, 2016 10:35 PM

Nice anecdotes guys- been having a great time reading this thread, sitting in my grampa's armchair after stuffing myself with turkey. I think I'll take a quick nap now.

by Anonymousreply 57November 25, 2016 10:37 PM

Ain't nobody got any love for me?

by Anonymousreply 58November 25, 2016 10:38 PM

Here are some appearances Lawanda made on Dean Martin's show. She had impeccable timing and delivery.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 59November 25, 2016 10:51 PM

R42, yeah, Lawanda Page did some raunchy stand-up comedy. The church lady, outside of S&S, she wasn't.

It was funny hearing her call Fred a fish-eyed fool.

I read they were great friends, and Foxx insisted she remain a part of the cast when producers wanted to make changes.

by Anonymousreply 60November 25, 2016 10:55 PM

R53 - I recently saw that Grady episode where he moved in with his daughter and her family. His son-in-law was played by Papa Pope from SCANDAL himself, Joe Morton.

I always found the white and black cop in the early seasons of S&S very funny. Whenever the white cop would say something, Fred and Lamont would look at the black cop who would translate what he said. Swanee and Smitty were their names.

by Anonymousreply 61November 25, 2016 11:04 PM

Believe it or not, Whitman Mayo was only 43 the first time he appeared on S&S. He looked much older.

I think one of the funny lines was when the police came in to question Fred about burglars. The cop asked, "Were they colored?" and Fred said, "Yes. White."

by Anonymousreply 62November 25, 2016 11:08 PM

Has anyone been able to see the Redd Foxx movie "Norman, Is That You?" It was based on a Broadway show about two parents who find out their son is gay.

by Anonymousreply 63November 25, 2016 11:20 PM

I heard that LaWanda Page was pretty terrible when she first started playing Aunt Esther. She was no actress. But Redd Foxx coached her until she could play old gorilla face to perfection.

by Anonymousreply 64November 25, 2016 11:23 PM

I saw it twice on TCM years ago R63 when they were still doing gay films in June. It was panned but honestly it was pretty good and Redd Foxx did quite well with the dramatic scenes.

by Anonymousreply 65November 25, 2016 11:58 PM

[quote]I saw it twice on TCM years ago [R63] when they were still doing gay films in June. It was panned but honestly it was pretty good and Redd Foxx did quite well with the dramatic scenes.

I always wondered why they changed it over to a black family In the Broadway play, it was a Jewish family. Mo Stapleton played the mother.

by Anonymousreply 66November 26, 2016 12:34 AM

Lawanda Page had a brief part in the 1995 movie "Friday" starring Ice Cube, Chris Tucker, Anna Maria Horsford (Reverend Frye's daughter from the t.v. show "Amen"), and John Witherspoon.

If you're in the mood to watch something silly, check it out. One of my all time faves.

by Anonymousreply 67November 26, 2016 12:46 AM

R67 she was also in "Shakes The Clown" a movie that enraged Kathy Lee Gifford.

[quote]My pussy is like peanut butter, smooth and easy to spread.

by Anonymousreply 68November 26, 2016 12:53 AM

LaWanda Page was wonderful on S&S but she was really terrible on everything else where she wasn't essentially Esther. One of the worst sitcom performances ever was where she played Myrtle on "Different Strokes". Her delivery was so insincere that when the twist comes at the end of the episode, suggesting she was going to fess up to her deception, you think she's lying again.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 69November 26, 2016 1:37 AM

LaWanda was a stand-up comedian, not an actress. They are different skill sets.

by Anonymousreply 70November 26, 2016 1:58 AM

R70 Right.

Jerry Seinfeld, Drew Carey, Brett Butler, Roseanne Barr, Ray Romano, Kevin James, Bob Newhart, Redd Foxx, etc.

by Anonymousreply 71November 26, 2016 2:20 AM

Oh really, r70?

by Anonymousreply 72November 26, 2016 2:21 AM

Are you busy polishing your Oscar, Jamie at R72?

by Anonymousreply 73November 26, 2016 2:25 AM

r71, other than Bob Newhart, none of the rest have had success except in projects that were built around their specific personality. I would also add Robin Williams and Whoopi Goldberg to the small list who could actually transform themselves into full fledged characters that were different from their own personalities. Robin and Whoopi mastered both the art of stand-up and the art of acting.

by Anonymousreply 74November 26, 2016 2:30 AM

"I would also add Robin Williams and Whoopi Goldberg to the small list who could actually transform themselves into full fledged characters that were different from their own personalities. Robin and Whoopi mastered both the art of stand-up and the art of acting."

Maybe Robin Williams did. But no matter what role Whoopi Goldberg plays she always comes across as Whoopi Goldberg. I've never found her convincing in any role she's been in.

by Anonymousreply 75November 26, 2016 2:37 AM

[quote]But no matter what role Whoopi Goldberg plays she always comes across as Whoopi Goldberg. I've never found her convincing in any role she's been in.

Oh, I don't agree. I think she's proved her versatility in "The Color Purple" and "Ghost." However, she's a lazy actress and as she grew in her career, she needed a director that would kick her ass rather than kiss it. So she has several films where she could have done better work and just wasn't pushed to do so.

by Anonymousreply 76November 26, 2016 2:43 AM

[Quote][R71], other than Bob Newhart, none of the rest have had success except in projects that were built around their specific personality.

Lick my balls, r74.

Any Given Sunday

Collateral

Ray

The Soloist

Django Unchained

by Anonymousreply 77November 26, 2016 3:00 AM

You can lick my ass r77. Jaime Foxx wasn't in the original list that I was referring to.

by Anonymousreply 78November 26, 2016 3:24 AM

Steptoe and Son had the same type of relatives but no Esther clone.

r47

That episode was almost line for line taken from Steptoe as was the one about Fred and the gay piano owner who gives Lamont a piano and thinks Lamont is abusing Fred by making him do all the work

[quote]"Rollo, why don't you just go down to the post office and take one of your pictures down off the wall." It was so clear Taylor could barely contain his own amusement after Foxx delivered that line.

Back in the day when going to jail was something to be ashamed of and not a requirement to get on TV or a #1 hit.

by Anonymousreply 79November 26, 2016 7:05 AM

I liked Miss Jane as Hoppy's mother

by Anonymousreply 80November 26, 2016 7:07 AM

R79 Steptoe and Son didn't have any relatives. Very few other actors in most episodes, only there to provide a plot point usually with minimal screen time. It's one of the reasons I like it so much, just excellent writing and two good actors carrying the entire thing.

by Anonymousreply 81November 26, 2016 8:48 AM

Champipple = champagne + ripple

by Anonymousreply 82November 26, 2016 9:31 AM

82 posts and no one mentioned LaMont's bulge? DL, I am so disappointed in you

by Anonymousreply 83November 26, 2016 1:08 PM

[quote]When the son complains about his father, you can see he really is trapped in an awful world and Steptoes live in an actual slum, not a "messy" house like Sanford, or a spit-spot clean housing project like on Good Times.

The Sanfords lived in a slum. They lived in Watts which had a lot of gangs.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 84November 26, 2016 2:18 PM

Another time when Rollo almost cracked up was when Aunt Esther came to bail Fred, Lamont, and Rollo out of jail after they were mistaken for being porno actors.

When there were in jail had another funny scene when the gay guy, I think the same guy who played the queeny guy on Lost in Space, tried to hit on Fred.

by Anonymousreply 85November 26, 2016 2:56 PM

r84

No, Sanfords lived in a TV version of a slum. The house was just messy that's all. Steptoe and Son, was a REAL slum. Did it even have heat? I think they used portable heaters, it had a bathroom located outside of the house, it was a real life slum.

r81

Yes, the Steptoes had relatives. Remember the episode where Harold is going to get married and the bride leaves him at the alter and the greedy relatives want their gifts back. This was adapted directly into a Sanford and Son episode.

by Anonymousreply 86November 26, 2016 3:00 PM

The actor who played the gay director in the "Rated X" episode was Jack DeLeon, not Jonathan Harris from "Lost in Space," though it was very easy to mistake one for the other (they looked quite similar). Harris did, however, appear in a different episode of "Sanford & Son" that same season called "Pot Luck."

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 87November 26, 2016 3:11 PM

Steptoe had 14 brothers and sisters

by Anonymousreply 88November 26, 2016 3:39 PM

R86 one episode isn't the same as regular recurring cast. There was no mention of these people before or after. For all intents and purposes the show was based on two characters with minimal appearances by other characters. There were no other regular characters. There were no aunts dropping by, no Grady or Bubba.

by Anonymousreply 89November 26, 2016 3:42 PM

I was puzzled by Red Foxx's unfinished patchy beard

by Anonymousreply 90November 26, 2016 3:43 PM

I suppose Auntie Ada will be there...Lifting up her skirts to the vicar

by Anonymousreply 91November 26, 2016 3:44 PM

The Steptoe home was filthy and depressing. The Sanford house was cluttered, but cosy.

by Anonymousreply 92November 26, 2016 4:38 PM

Episode1 from season1 - you can see Lamont's character definitely evolved over time.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 93November 26, 2016 4:51 PM

Whoopi Goldberg was never a comedienne, she was an "actress" who did comedic sketches, similar to Lily Tomlin. The gap between Goldberg and Tomlin's acting talent is immense.

by Anonymousreply 94November 26, 2016 5:18 PM

Jack DeLeon made a career out of playing flamboyant homos. He played one in an episode of "Barney Miller" and played a queen walking his poodle through the park in that horrible movie "The Choirboys."

by Anonymousreply 95November 26, 2016 9:13 PM

I too thought this was the the actor who played Dr. Smith.

by Anonymousreply 96November 26, 2016 9:32 PM

Ron Glass, Demond Wilson's (Lamont) co-star in "The New Odd Couple," but best-known as a regular on "Barney Miller," has died.

by Anonymousreply 97November 26, 2016 9:39 PM

RIP...

by Anonymousreply 98November 26, 2016 9:41 PM

[quote] Has anyone been able to see the Redd Foxx movie "Norman, Is That You?" It was based on a Broadway show about two parents who find out their son is gay.

I have, it's just a forgettable sitcom-level thing, but I wouldn't call it offensive. Sanford and Son was a pro-gay show, they did at least a few pro-gay episodes.

by Anonymousreply 99November 27, 2016 5:35 AM

Here's a great Steptoe and Son, with all Steptoe's wacky relatives.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 100November 27, 2016 7:57 AM

I loved a good Fredā€“Esther reading match ...

[quote]For years people have been goin' around sayin' "Black Is beautiful." They took one look at your family and said "HOLD EVERYTHING!"

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 101September 5, 2019 3:38 AM

Back in the 80s I saw Whitman Mayo (Grady) cruising the aisles in a run-down adult porn theater in Los Angeles. He was sweaty and kind of drooling a bit. I was a little scared, but I was young at the time. Tony Perkins from Psycho tried to pick me up at the busy Circus of Books on Santa Monica Blvd. around the same period. He also exposed himself to me at a theater multiplex restroom at Universal City. It was yellowish and wrinkly. Looked like a grower. Again, I was frightened. But this was over 30 years ago. I certainly would have been up for an adventure if it happened now.

by Anonymousreply 102September 5, 2019 7:22 AM

I always thought the son in SAS was a cross dresser with attachment issues.

by Anonymousreply 103September 5, 2019 7:34 AM

Nathaniel Taylor (Rollo) was sexy.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 104September 5, 2019 12:28 PM

Lawanda Page Friday

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 105September 5, 2019 1:49 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!