Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Witty Books of the 1920s - 1970s

Let's hear your recommendations, DL Snoots. Must be exceedingly droll.

I'll start - "Westward Ha! Around the World in 80 Clichés" (1948)

By humorist S.J. Perelman , and fantastically illustrated by *Hirschfeld*!

Incredibly funny and smart - and sprinkled with so many elevated words that have fallen out of fashion.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 83June 29, 2021 4:10 PM

One of the illustrations...

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 1November 17, 2016 6:56 AM

And another...

"From Those Wonderful Folks Who Gave You Pearl Harbor: Front Line Dispatches from the Advertising War" (1969)

Screamingly funny book by ad legend Jerry Della Femina all about the high-flying insanity and crazed personalities he encountered in NY advertising in the 60s. A must read.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 2November 17, 2016 7:00 AM

WITH MALICE TOWARD SOME (1938)

by Margaret Halsey (nonfiction, as are both books above)

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 3November 17, 2016 7:11 AM

Cold Comfort Farm by Stella Gibbons (1932)

A paean to the sensible

by Anonymousreply 4November 17, 2016 7:28 AM

^Yes.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 5November 17, 2016 7:32 AM

Of course, P.G. Wodehouse. I've only read a few of his Jeeves series, but would like to read more of his other work. Any suggestions on particular books?

RIGHT HO, JEEVES (1934)

(fiction)

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 6November 17, 2016 7:35 AM

Camp recs are most welcome as well!

BARBARA CARTLAND'S BOOK OF ETIQUETTE (1950)

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 7November 17, 2016 7:49 AM

I feel like our British DLers will have some gems.

How 'bout it, Brits?

by Anonymousreply 8November 17, 2016 8:17 AM

NOBLESSE OBLIGE: AN ENQUIRY INTO THE IDENTIFIABLE CHARACTERISTICS OF THE ENGLISH ARISTOCRACY (1956)

by Nancy Mitford

Hilarious!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 9November 17, 2016 8:26 AM

Bored of the rings. One of the funniest books ever. Doug Kenny and Henry beard really bring out the humor they latter made famous in national lampoon. Second choice. The decline and fall of practically everybody by will cuppy. Amazing writer who nobody remembers. Such a shame. Hummm third choice. Why not Myra Breckinridge. Gore Vidal had some talent besides the essays.

by Anonymousreply 10November 17, 2016 8:46 AM

Cleveland Amory -- The Proper Bostonians

by Anonymousreply 11November 17, 2016 9:01 AM

Lucky Jim by Kingsley Amis.

by Anonymousreply 12November 17, 2016 9:09 AM

Nancy Mitford's The Pursuit Of Love & Love In A Cold Climate are classics for good reason.

Most "funny" novels leave me stone cold. I like smart acidic bitchiness, and most writers who think they can pull it off aren't smart enough or vicious enough.

That what makes Doug Guinans 'California Screaming' such a fucking hilarious read: gay chancer meets billionaire. Holleran delivers it with reflective depth.

by Anonymousreply 13November 17, 2016 9:16 AM

R10 - I love THE DECLINE AND FALL OF PRACTICALLY EVERYBODY (1950)

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 14November 17, 2016 9:28 AM

Fantastic recommendations!

by Anonymousreply 15November 17, 2016 9:29 AM

The Para Handy books by Neil Munro. I picked one up at a library book sale and loved it. They're about the eponymous Para Handy, the conniving skipper of a steamboat plying it's trade delivering coal and mail up the west coast of Scotland in the 1920s.

I would also keep r4 company in nominating Cold Comfort Farm.

by Anonymousreply 16November 17, 2016 9:40 AM

Florence King's Confessions of a Failed Southern Lady

by Anonymousreply 17November 17, 2016 9:47 AM

THE ASCENT OF RUM DOODLE (1956)

I haven't read this yet, but it's supposed to be a clever parody of mountaineering expeditions in the Himalayas.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 18November 17, 2016 9:49 AM

Anything by Damon Runyon (Guys and Dolls):

"Runyon made us familiar with dames and speakeasies, croakers (doctors), dolls who might be 'classy', but more often are ladies of negotiable affection, suckers like Waldo Winchester (a play on reporter Walter Winchell), mugs, lobs and wise guys who are out to make scratch, with or without firearms or shivs."

by Anonymousreply 19November 17, 2016 10:06 AM

HINDOO HOLIDAY (1932, revised and expanded 1952)

by gay writer J. R. Ackerley

From Wiki "Ackerley spent about five months in India, which was still under British rule, as secretary to an Indian Maharaja in the city of Chhatarpur. Ackerley's comic memoir Hindoo Holiday explores some of his experiences. The Maharaja was homosexual, and His Majesty's obsessions and dalliances, along with Ackerley's observations about Anglo-Indians, account for much of the humor of the work.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 20November 17, 2016 10:17 AM

Early Professor Kate Fansler mysteries by Amanda Cross, up to 'Sweet Death Kind Death' [1984].

Then it turned too shrill and programmatic. A sad casualty of Feminism.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 21November 17, 2016 10:25 AM

R11 - I must read "The Proper Bostonians" (1947)

Great recommendation - one of the printings is adorned with a DL Dowager Cuntessa!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 22November 17, 2016 10:26 AM

The Lucia novels by E.F. Benson.

by Anonymousreply 23November 17, 2016 10:31 AM

^^^YES!

by Anonymousreply 24November 17, 2016 10:31 AM

Shut Up, He Explained

Excellent compendium of the totally forgotten Ring Lardner.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 25November 17, 2016 10:31 AM

What R23 said, with a cover -- funniest novels ever written.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 26November 17, 2016 10:32 AM

I love the covers of these great old books.

by Anonymousreply 27November 17, 2016 10:34 AM

"Muddling Through;: Or, Britain in a Nutshell" (1936)

(A companion volume to "Foreigners")

by Theodora Benson and Betty Askwith, illustrated by Nicholas Bentley.

From a bookseller description - "Wonderful tongue-in-cheek satirical and very funny look at the quirkiness of the British... the section on 'Ideals' sums it up by the names of its sections: "Humour; Muddling Through; Conventionality; Unconventionality; Sportsmanship".

County by county and district by district, town by town, institution by institution, even personalities, Art and Sport, the Armed Forces, Scotland, Ireland and Wales, are all gently poked fun at as only the English can do."

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 28November 17, 2016 10:55 AM

Queens, how could you forget...

Auntie Mame by Patrick Dennis.

by Anonymousreply 29November 17, 2016 5:21 PM

The Art of Coarse Acting by Michael Green

by Anonymousreply 30November 17, 2016 6:00 PM

My Way of Life by Joan Crawford

by Anonymousreply 31November 17, 2016 6:17 PM

Or better, R20: Dennis's LITTLE ME (1961)

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 32November 17, 2016 6:18 PM

I can't believe there are two other posters here who recommended Will Cuppy's The Decline and Fall of Practically Everybody. Only on DL!

I've adored that book ever since I was a wee child and discovered it in my (much) older brother's leftovers in the late 1950s. It's a series of short and hilarious profiles of notorious kings, queens, czars, pharaohs and others through the ages from Cheops and Hatshepsut (It Seems There Were 2 Egyptians) on down to Miles Standish (can't remember his chapter heading). Each profile is accompanied by a cute drawing or two.

it's where I first learned about Henry VIII, Elizabeth I, Catherine the Great and Lady Godiva, among others. My first exposure to gay ironic humor. Fortunately, I still have my copy somewhere. I must dig it out tonight and reread. Thanks for reminding me.

If you can find it anywhere, buy it!

by Anonymousreply 33November 17, 2016 6:20 PM

"Is Sex Necessary?" By James Thurber and E.B. White forward by John Updike

by Anonymousreply 34November 17, 2016 6:22 PM

The Stories of John Cheever

by Anonymousreply 35November 17, 2016 6:48 PM

Little Me by Patrick Dennis

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 36November 17, 2016 6:54 PM

YES! Another vote for Lucia books! We can never get enough of those.

For cat lovers, "The Silent Miaow" (translated from the feline by Paul Gallico) is a real treasure. It's a manual for domestic cats, i.e., how to find the best home, move in, take over, and manage your new staff.

I've mentioned these elsewhere but, as they're relevant to this thread, I'll again recommend Betty MacDonald's four semi-autobiographical memoirs: "The Egg and I," "The Plague and I," "Anybody Can Do Anything" and "Onions in the Stew." They still have quite a following 60 to 70 years after their original publication. In fact, all four books were released in EPUB and Kindle formats on November 1.

by Anonymousreply 37November 17, 2016 7:41 PM

Naked Came the Stranger - "Penelope Ashe"

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 38November 17, 2016 8:00 PM

These are all fantastic.

by Anonymousreply 39November 17, 2016 8:15 PM

For those interested in PG Wodehouse, try Uncle Fred in the Springtime.

by Anonymousreply 40November 17, 2016 8:20 PM

Anyone remember the episode of Maude, where I think Rue McClanahan's character reads a marriage guide and does all of the odd advice within to make herself a sexy and submissive 70s wife?

Well! It was a parody of the camp classic THE TOTAL WOMAN, by Marabel Morgan (1973).

It is truly an unintentional scream, and makes a great gag gift for gay anniversaries. Famously, the book said to assemble a bunch of costumes to greet your husband at the door in when he returns home from work - including wrapping oneself in saran wrap.

Bizarrely, I vaguely remember a testimonial within the book - a middle aged matron gushes about how she took Marabel's advice, and recently wore a Mod babydoll set of pajamas at 5 in the evening, complete with white go-go boots. Not only was her husband thrilled, but now her 12 year old son is always on time for dinner so he can "check out Mom's latest look"!

I kid you not. A very 70's scream, written very earnestly.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 41November 17, 2016 8:31 PM

r41 LMAO That episode of Maude was hysterical. When Maude shifted her body after Vivian slammed the door, I just howled.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 42November 17, 2016 9:01 PM

Lucia and anything by Barbara Pym.

By the way, there is a great new book about the Bensons, "A Very Queer Family Indeed."

by Anonymousreply 43November 17, 2016 9:08 PM

There is a certain sadness in Barbara Pym's work, or perhaps melancholy is a better word, mixed in with the humor. I love Damon Runyon and find myself talking like his characters. Whenever I see an old woman I immediately think of her as an "old doll". Beverly Nichols wrote some very humorous books, I recommend "Revue" if you can find it.

by Anonymousreply 44November 17, 2016 9:25 PM

"One Pair of Hands" by Monica Dickens is very funny. I also second the Lucia books by Benson, and anything by Nancy Mitford. EM Delafield is gently amusing. "Vile Bodies" by Evelyn Waugh.

by Anonymousreply 45November 17, 2016 10:09 PM

Phyllis Diller's Housekeeping Hints, and Coffee, Tea, or Me.

by Anonymousreply 46November 17, 2016 10:14 PM

"One Pair of Hands" by Monica Dickens +1

by Anonymousreply 47November 17, 2016 10:16 PM

Stephen Potter's "Upmanship" series - one of the funniest things I've read. Instruction books for taking down your opponents whether social, business, sporting, or wooing - and all in the most elegant 'old chap' way possible.

The Theory and Practice of Gamesmanship: Or the Art of Winning Games Without Actually Cheating. Illustrated by Frank Wilson. 1947

Lifemanship: With a Summary of Recent Researches in Gamesmanship. Illustrated by Frank Wilson. 1950.

One-Upmanship: Being Some Account of the Activities and Teachings of the Lifemanship Correspondence College of One-Upness and Games Lifemastery. Illustrated by Frank Wilson. 1952.

Supermanship, or, How to Continue to Stay Top without Actually Falling Apart. Illustrated by Frank Wilson. 1958.

Anti-Woo: The Lifeman's Improved Primer for Non-Lovers. Illustrated by Frank Wilson. 1965.

The Complete Golf Gamesmanship. Illustrated by Frank Wilson. 1968. (Also titled Golfmanship.)

The Complete Upmanship: Including, Gamesmanship, Lifemanship, One-Upmanship, Supermanship. 1970.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 48November 17, 2016 11:24 PM

I'd agree with Vile Bodies r45 but only until about half way through, then it becomes very surreal and bleak. Waugh said it was written as a light hearted romp until his wife left him around the mid way point so the back half reflects his unhappiness.

by Anonymousreply 49November 17, 2016 11:24 PM

A pic of part of the Upmanship series...

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 50November 17, 2016 11:25 PM

Naked Came the Stranger sounds like fun

by Anonymousreply 51November 18, 2016 12:26 AM

I liked [italic]Schindler's List[/italic] a lot, but the movie was funnier.

by Anonymousreply 52November 18, 2016 1:49 AM

It's A Handful of Dust, not Vile Bodies, R49, whose back half was influenced by the first Mrs. Waugh's desertion of Evelyn. In fact, the book becomes not only dark but unbearably deflating. Without giving anything away, I'd say the last few pages are shattering on the most intense level. You feel totally beaten down.

But in a better mood, Waugh is irresistibly funny. Newbies might try Scoop. And Vile Bodies is really quite droll. Decline and Fall is also fine, though Waugh is typically rough on the Welsh. He has all the prejudices of the English middle class and then some.

by Anonymousreply 53November 18, 2016 2:26 AM

Patrick Dennis also wrote a few other funny books. Others were mediocre. But I love JOYOUS SEASON and GENIUS and parts of TONY.

by Anonymousreply 54November 18, 2016 2:40 AM

R53 no, it was Vile Bodies.

"Adam Fenwick-Symes is the novel's antihero; his quest to marry Nina parodies the conventions of romantic comedy, as the traditional foils and allies prove distracted and ineffectual. War looms, Adam's circle of friends disintegrates, and Adam and Nina's engagement founders. At the book's end, we find Adam alone on an apocalyptic European battlefield. The book shifts in tone from light-hearted romp to bleak desolation (Waugh himself later attributed it to the breakdown of his first marriage halfway through the book's composition[5]). Others have defended the novel's curious ending as a poetically just reversal of the conventions of comic romance.[6][7]"

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 55November 18, 2016 11:32 AM

I once picked up a Waugh novel but it began with a horrifyingly blasé description of a fox hunt and I couldn't get past the first chapter. I think it was Scoop. Never tried him again. Should I?

by Anonymousreply 56November 18, 2016 12:44 PM

If you only know about How to Succeed in Business Without Really Trying as a movie or musical, you really need to read the 1952 book by Shepherd Mead. Every young person entering the business world would be well advised to read it as non-fiction, and it's held up remarkably well.

by Anonymousreply 57November 18, 2016 12:56 PM

I still stand by Vile Bodies as what I found to be Waugh's funniest novel. [R45] here. Now that I think of it, yes, it's dark, but to me, all of his work is. It was an era of dancing on graves.

by Anonymousreply 58November 18, 2016 12:59 PM

A Cool Million: The Dismantling of Lemuel Pitkin by Nathanael West

It's a wicked parody of Horatio Alger novels in which people from humble backgrounds lift themselves up by their own bootstraps, and through hard work and determination achieve the American Dream.

In West's version, every miserable thing that can go wrong for the main character does go wrong - except only worse.

It's dementedly funny.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 59November 18, 2016 1:02 PM

Fran Liebowitz, Metropolitan Life (1978) and Social Studies (1981).

"My caller is an agent from Los Angeles. He is audibly tan."

by Anonymousreply 60November 18, 2016 1:40 PM

R55: Wikipedia says exactly the same thing about A Handful of Dust on the page devoted to the novel. And this book, unlike Vile Bodies, is largely about the breakup of a marriage because of the wife's unfaithfulness.

by Anonymousreply 61November 18, 2016 3:34 PM

Pre-1920. "Three Men in a Boat" by Jerome K. Jerome, great comic writing.

by Anonymousreply 62November 18, 2016 6:47 PM

Kate Atkinson's Behind the Scenes at the Museum and, even better, Human Croquet are 2 brilliantly witty books of the last 25 years or so. She is the British novelist who writes the wonderful Jackson Brodie mysteries as well as more serious novels like Life After Life and A God in Ruins.

One of the best writers publishing today. I look forward to each new book in all of her genres.

by Anonymousreply 63November 18, 2016 8:50 PM

Ludwig Wittgenstein thought that PG Wodehouse's "Honeysuckle Cottage" was the funniest story he'd ever read. It's one of Wodehouse's short Mulliner stories, published in 1925.

by Anonymousreply 64November 18, 2016 9:10 PM

Edmund Crispin's mystery novels have lots of humour.

Adding a vote for E. M Delafield's very funny "Diary of a Provincial Lady" series.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 65November 18, 2016 9:24 PM

Splendora by Edward Swift.

It's about the new lady librarian in a small East Texas town who isn't all she appears to be.

by Anonymousreply 66November 18, 2016 9:36 PM

Agreed, R62!

by Anonymousreply 67November 19, 2016 12:58 AM

Midnight Cowboy and Valley of the Dolls. Funny in a certain set of mind.

by Anonymousreply 68November 19, 2016 3:27 AM

But are these books British witty or the broader American haha 'witty'?

by Anonymousreply 69November 19, 2016 6:23 AM

Many of these books are British, R69.

Most of them are "British" witty - understated - (even the ones by American authors).

There are, of course, a few campy, retro pop culture recs as well.

by Anonymousreply 70November 19, 2016 6:43 AM

Thank you r70.

by Anonymousreply 71November 19, 2016 6:45 AM

A vote for Shirley Jackson's non-spooky books, including Life Among the Savages and Raising Demons.

by Anonymousreply 72November 19, 2016 9:31 AM

Before I went to study in England many years ago, I was given a list of books I had to read before going. I grumbled because I was poor and had to lay out $ for all of these books, but there's only one I remember to this day. It was called "1066 and All That: A Memorable History of England, Comprising all the Parts You Can Remember, Including 103 Good Things, 5 Bad Kings and 2 Genuine Dates" by W.C. Sellar and R.J. Yeatman. I am a history buff and I found it a very funny, delightful read.

by Anonymousreply 73November 21, 2016 5:55 AM

R64, Whenever I think about funny, I always think Wittgenstein.

by Anonymousreply 74November 21, 2016 10:59 AM

r74 Ha! Many underestimate Ludwig's sense of humor. Wonderful dancer, too.

by Anonymousreply 75November 21, 2016 11:05 AM

Anything by Jean Shepherd, whose most famous work was [italc]A Christmas Story[/italic]. It is impossible to read any of his stories or books without laughing out loud. These tales have held up remarkably well over the decades.

by Anonymousreply 76November 22, 2016 12:18 AM

Little Me.

by Anonymousreply 77November 28, 2016 5:40 AM

Little Me.

by Anonymousreply 78November 28, 2016 5:41 AM

Cornelia Otis Skinner was a stage actress who also published several volumes of witty anecdotal essays that were also printed in magazines like The New Yorker. Her book titles include Dithers and Jitters and Excuse It, Please!

by Anonymousreply 79November 28, 2016 6:43 AM

r33 that reminds me of Uppity Women of the Renaissance, but it's post 1970s.

by Anonymousreply 80November 28, 2016 8:40 AM

It should hardly need saying, but witty writing in the 1920s was synonymous with Dorothy Parker. Her "Constant Reader" columns are still hilarious to this day.

by Anonymousreply 81November 28, 2016 9:23 AM

Thank you so much for this thread. I already have a 300+ long "to read" list but about eight of the titles you glorious readers supplied already escalated to my earliest twenty for 2017.

by Anonymousreply 82December 2, 2016 4:28 AM

Anything by Quentin Crisp of course! And Everyday Drinking by Kingsley Amis

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 83June 29, 2021 4:10 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!