Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Jonathan Silverman

Why no talk about this obviously gay actor?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 34August 9, 2018 3:52 AM

Because he isn't attractive?

by Anonymousreply 1October 27, 2016 8:37 AM

[quote] Because he isn't attractive?

Compared to Paul Sand, whom [italic]Gimme A Break![/italic] replaced him with when he either left or was fired, he's practically a hunk.

by Anonymousreply 2October 27, 2016 8:44 AM

He was the star of one of the worst sitcoms of all time. Remember how every show after Friends sucked? His was one of them.

I think he and David Schwimmer were boyfriends. Or at least sisters.

by Anonymousreply 3October 27, 2016 8:51 AM

Has he been married to the chick from Bold and The Beautiful for years or am I thinking of someone else?

by Anonymousreply 4October 27, 2016 9:25 AM

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 5October 27, 2016 10:41 AM

His show was consistently rated in the top five. It was one of the highest rated shows ever cancelled. Obviously his being a J-word. was the cause of it.

He was considered hot. Remember how he was on Friends, which led to his own show and Jennifer Aniston and Lauren thought he was hot.

by Anonymousreply 6October 27, 2016 4:30 PM

[quote] He was the star of one of the worst sitcoms of all time. Remember how every show after Friends sucked? His was one of them.

That's because [italic]Friends[/italic] was and is THE worst sitcom ever, and the network assumed since that was a hit, people who would watch that crap would watch anything. That's why network sitcoms have been steadily going to shit for 20 years: 1%ers are not funny unless they're

by Anonymousreply 7October 27, 2016 4:36 PM

As I said, 1%ers are not funny unless they're being made the targets of derision, not role models are aspirational figures. [italic]Friends[/italic] and other shit shows like it reinforce the sick values of 1%ers and bigots with its insufferable whiteness, celebration of materialism, and cheerleading for the Giulianification of New York City, which it depicts so laughably inaccurately, even compared to other LA-based shows set in New York, as to be totally unwatchable.

by Anonymousreply 8October 27, 2016 4:44 PM

I've met Johnny several times and hung out. He and his wife have a place in New Orleans and go there frequently. Super, super nice guy who stays busy as a character actor on TV mostly. Never got the gay vibe.

by Anonymousreply 9October 27, 2016 4:53 PM

Remember when he was a star with Weekend at Bernie's?

No? I don't remember THAT either!

by Anonymousreply 10October 27, 2016 4:55 PM

Remember that horrible TV movie [italic]These Old Broads[/italic] where he was Shirley MacLaine's son? One of the other broads claimed he was gay and she believed it, but he never denied or confirmed it, and then they took him to a gay bar where two of them tried to sing "Get Happy" to a cheap synthesized beat. Really, really bad writing.

by Anonymousreply 11October 27, 2016 4:59 PM

Yes, I remember the dreck they put on between Friends and Seinfeld again and again (and between Seinfeld and ER, too). They were all highly rated until NBC moved them to another night. The Single Guy shit show Jonathan Silverman starred in was no different. NBC tested it out on another night. It went from #4 or #5 to #60 or below. That's why they canceled it. NBC was trying to build ratings then move those shows to another night. Frasier, which was a good sitcom, got moved to Tues to compete with Home Improvement, then one of the highest rated sitcoms, but Frasier survived and was still a Top 20 show because of its quality. All those other shows fizzled and died. NBC made some terrible business decisions back then.

by Anonymousreply 12October 27, 2016 5:03 PM

NBC has been living on borrowed time since [italic]Seinfeld[/italic] went off the air. Network TV is becoming more and more irrelevant with each passing year, and with so many other, better options to choose from, viewers have less patience for mediocre fluff. Why would you eat nothing but cotton candy when you could have filet mignon?

by Anonymousreply 13October 27, 2016 5:21 PM

Jonathan Silverman has the AIDS you know

by Anonymousreply 14October 27, 2016 5:43 PM

Nonsense, R14, he's just on a diet, that's all.

by Anonymousreply 15October 27, 2016 5:49 PM

Must Flee TV

by Anonymousreply 16October 27, 2016 6:03 PM

The Single Guy was one of many NBC sitcoms sandwiched in between Friends and whatever came on at 9 PM (Fraiser, which is funny); someone joked they could run the color bars between 8:30 and 9 and they'd be in the top ten.

by Anonymousreply 17October 27, 2016 6:25 PM

I'd watch color bars before I ever subjected myself to an episode of [italic]Friends[/italic] again. Even a test pattern with an Indian head would look more like Manhattan actually looks.

by Anonymousreply 18October 27, 2016 6:32 PM

Hardly on a diet. He's much heavier now than in his brief heyday,

by Anonymousreply 19October 28, 2016 12:03 AM

[quote]Remember that horrible TV movie These Old Broads where he was Shirley MacLaine's son? Really, really bad writing.

Fuck you, motherfucker!

by Anonymousreply 20October 28, 2016 12:05 AM

Who?

by Anonymousreply 21October 28, 2016 12:06 AM

[quote]Fuck you, motherfucker! —Carrie Fisher, screenwriter

And I thought I was a bitch.

by Anonymousreply 22October 28, 2016 12:07 AM

Big Schwartz. Huuuuge.

by Anonymousreply 23October 29, 2016 5:22 AM

[quote]I'd watch color bars before I ever subjected myself to an episode of Friends again.

I've never understood the hate for Friends or Jennifer Aniston on this site. Even if you don't find either of them funny they are benign at best. I loved Friends.

by Anonymousreply 24October 29, 2016 5:58 AM

Huh?

[quote] Spouse(s)tJennifer Finnigan (2007-present)

by Anonymousreply 25October 29, 2016 6:04 AM

He got his big break on Broadway in Brighton Beach and was so close to what Neil Simon envisioned that he cast him in the movie instead of Matthew Broderick, which angered some people. His second "big" break was on "Gimme a Break". He started getting the laughs and Nell Carter demanded he get fired.

by Anonymousreply 26October 29, 2016 6:07 AM

R24 = Jennifer Aniston

by Anonymousreply 27October 29, 2016 6:16 AM

Broderick wasn't Broderick too old for the movie when it got made? Did he turn it down? Silverman was supposedly discovered in a Bev. Hills High production and Simon put him into the play on Bway then the movie and then he originated Eugene in Broadway Bound. I always wondered if Broderick turned down the B. Beach film and Broadway Bound on stage.

by Anonymousreply 28October 29, 2016 6:17 AM

Gee, a Jew in Hollywood? I'm so surprised by that.

by Anonymousreply 29October 29, 2016 6:39 AM

[quote]He started getting the laughs and Nell Carter demanded he get fired.

He started getting the laughs and Nell Carter demanded he get f̶i̶r̶e̶d̶ fried

by Anonymousreply 30October 29, 2016 7:44 AM

Where is the proof that he was fired?

by Anonymousreply 31August 9, 2018 3:36 AM

He was not fired from GAB. After that season when Julie and Jonathan got married and had the baby, all the kids moved out and Nell moved to NYC with Addie and Joey.

by Anonymousreply 32August 9, 2018 3:45 AM

I used to have a major crush on him. He was hot in Caddyshack 2.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 33August 9, 2018 3:48 AM

I liked him as hunky Lee Montgomery’s best friend in the Sarah Jessica Parker vehicle GIRLS JUST WANT TO HAVE FUN

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 34August 9, 2018 3:52 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!