Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Couldn't Rosemary's Baby be a midnight cult film?

One of those call-and-response things like Rocky Horror, where you yell out the lines and dress-up like the characters?

What is your favorite RB line?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 193October 29, 2018 5:27 AM

There is an under taste. Nobody has used that word before or since. Why would a naive Midwestern girl use such a word?

by Anonymousreply 1October 13, 2016 1:08 AM

A chalky under taste.

I think I hear the Trent sisters chewing.

Pain, be gone. I will have no more of thee.

Tannis, anyone?

by Anonymousreply 2October 13, 2016 1:12 AM

I love this movie. It never ages or feels dated. A beautiful slice of mid-20th century life in NYC.

by Anonymousreply 3October 13, 2016 1:12 AM

I'm beginning to believe that Drumpf IS Rosemary's Baby.

by Anonymousreply 4October 13, 2016 1:13 AM

[quote]I think I hear the Trent sisters chewing.

Trench sisters, you lummox.

by Anonymousreply 5October 13, 2016 1:13 AM

[quote] A beautiful slice of mid-20th century life in NYC.

God, you're weird.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 6October 13, 2016 1:14 AM

I thought the creepiest part of the film was when she returned home with that book and in the kitchen, you could hear a tap dripping - then she pulls out that Scrabble box and uses the tiles to unscramble the names.

by Anonymousreply 7October 13, 2016 1:16 AM

No, because Rosemary's Baby is a great film, not camp.

by Anonymousreply 8October 13, 2016 1:16 AM

[quote]I thought the creepiest part of the film was when she returned home with that book and in the kitchen, you could hear a tap dripping - then she pulls out that Scrabble box and uses the tiles to unscramble the names.

The name is an anagram!

by Anonymousreply 9October 13, 2016 1:16 AM

Rosemary: What have you done to him? What have you done to his eyes, you maniacs!

by Anonymousreply 10October 13, 2016 1:19 AM

"She must have been cleaning windows and lost her hold".

by Anonymousreply 11October 13, 2016 1:19 AM

He has his father's eyes!

by Anonymousreply 12October 13, 2016 1:21 AM

Be quiet, you're in Dubrovnik, I can't hear you!

by Anonymousreply 13October 13, 2016 1:27 AM

“Roman, bring me some root beer when ya come!"

by Anonymousreply 14October 13, 2016 1:29 AM

"Awful things happen in every apartment house."

RB came out in '68. Sharon Tate was savagely murdered the following year. Coincidence? I think not.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 15October 13, 2016 1:37 AM

The paint!

by Anonymousreply 16October 13, 2016 1:40 AM

Also, why did Guy and Rosemary need to have such a production in order to have baby-making sex? I know why they had to for plot reasons, but she's the one who had to make all that shit. Same result if she'd tripped and landed on his dick.

Vodka Blush, anyone?

by Anonymousreply 17October 13, 2016 1:42 AM

It was a bit of a midnight cult film....on TV. As a younger person, we always got together to watch it, with weed and beer, and pizza.

by Anonymousreply 18October 13, 2016 1:43 AM

OP's picture represents most women's reaction to being hit on by Donald Trump.

by Anonymousreply 19October 13, 2016 1:47 AM

Mia used to live near the Dakota. She and Woody could practically wave to each other across the park. And then she found . . . the pictures.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 20October 13, 2016 1:55 AM

" As long as she ate the mouse, she can't see nor hear. Now sing."

by Anonymousreply 21October 13, 2016 1:58 AM

Guy: What the hell is that?

Rosemary: I've been to Vidal Sassoon.

Guy: You mean you actually paid for it?

by Anonymousreply 22October 13, 2016 2:00 AM

[quote]RB came out in '68. Sharon Tate was savagely murdered the following year. Coincidence? I think not.

Speaking of the Tate murder, one very creepy coincidence in the film is the scene where Rosmary's lying in bed half-asleep, and Minnie's voice penetrates her dream: as the camera pans across the bed, a book on the nightstand looks exactly like the paperback edition of "Helter Skelter",

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 23October 13, 2016 2:02 AM

Coincidentally I'll be seeing this on the big screen in less than a couple of weeks

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 24October 13, 2016 2:25 AM

people use the word undertaste all the time in my world, r1.

by Anonymousreply 25October 13, 2016 2:38 AM

r3, agreed. It an excellent film. Its not really scary, though it has some tense moments but its haunting. And it just very well paced, directed, and acted.

by Anonymousreply 26October 13, 2016 2:40 AM

There's always been a rumor that Sharon is in the young people party scene.

by Anonymousreply 27October 13, 2016 2:41 AM

This is Julianne Moore's all time favorite movie. Seriously.

by Anonymousreply 28October 13, 2016 2:41 AM

no OP, but that crap remake miniseries with zoe zaldana could be.

by Anonymousreply 29October 13, 2016 2:42 AM

Mia is bitch.

by Anonymousreply 30October 13, 2016 2:48 AM

Young Mia Farrow was truly beautiful btw.

by Anonymousreply 31October 13, 2016 2:55 AM

Rosemary's Baby really didn't age that well. Sort of boring I think ...

by Anonymousreply 32October 13, 2016 3:52 AM

"Oh, shut up with your 'Oh, God...' or we'll kill ya right now, milk or no milk!"

"He sounds like a sadistic nut!"

"All of them witches..."

"Unspeakable, unspeakable!"

"There's nothin' in it, just plain ordinary Lipton's tea. Now, drink it."

by Anonymousreply 33October 13, 2016 4:56 AM

Mia has sort of an affected way of speaking in this film. Did she talk like that in all her films of that time?

by Anonymousreply 34October 13, 2016 5:02 AM

Why isn't this movie on TV more often? It's not even on Netflix.

by Anonymousreply 35October 13, 2016 5:24 AM

"Unspeakable." The definitive word for that which is so terrible it cannot be uttered. Use it a lot during this election.

"They're not coming within 50 feet of the baby." Don't know why but I always wait for this. Maybe because after this Guy becomes more and more of an asshole defending them without seeming like he's defending them. Rosemary should have noticed this sooner.

by Anonymousreply 36October 13, 2016 5:52 AM

"It was kjnd of fun in a necrophile sort of way." How did he know THAT?! Ew.

by Anonymousreply 37October 13, 2016 6:12 AM

R34, I know it's only an animated film, but she speaks the exact same way in THE LAST UNICORN.

by Anonymousreply 38October 13, 2016 6:14 AM

I blame the mold / fungus in her charm. There was no Satan, no devil spawn. It's all a matter of her losing her mind (like Terry did) because of the mold / fungus in the charm.

by Anonymousreply 39October 13, 2016 7:57 AM

R23 I always noticed that too - creepy!

by Anonymousreply 40October 13, 2016 9:00 AM

“I told Sister Veronica about the windows and she withdrew the school from the competition…”.

by Anonymousreply 41October 13, 2016 9:58 AM

R31 Young Mia truly beautiful? My god, whatever.. she was hella ugly and always has been

by Anonymousreply 42October 13, 2016 9:58 AM

[quote]Mia has sort of an affected way of speaking in this film. Did she talk like that in all her films of that time?

Mia went to school in England, not many years earlier. The English accent hadn't worn off yet.

[quote] Young Mia truly beautiful? My god, whatever.. she was hella ugly and always has been

I think she was very pretty too. Many do.

On top of that she's a MAJOR- DL fave. MAJOR.

by Anonymousreply 43October 13, 2016 11:10 AM

[quote]she was hella ugly and always has been

Nonsense.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 44October 13, 2016 11:13 AM
Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 45October 13, 2016 11:13 AM

Rosemary's Lullaby

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 46October 13, 2016 11:16 AM

R8 Why not? "The Exorcist" ran midnight shows for years in the 1970s and 1980s, and I don't consider that film camp.

by Anonymousreply 47October 13, 2016 11:18 AM

Sometimes when I come into my own apartment, I do the whole Ruth Gordon routine, especially the walk, that she does when she sees Rosemary's remodeled apartment. I do it more often than I care to admit, in fact.

by Anonymousreply 48October 13, 2016 12:15 PM

What did you pay for a chair like that, R48?

by Anonymousreply 49October 13, 2016 12:15 PM

This is no dream!

by Anonymousreply 50October 13, 2016 12:18 PM

I could definitely see it as a midnight cult film:

1) People dressed as Rosemary and Minnie.

2) Throwing fireball candy at the screen every time the words "devil" or "satan" are mentioned.

3) Scratch and sniff cards for tannis root.

Feel free to add your own.

by Anonymousreply 51October 13, 2016 12:24 PM

[quote]One of those call-and-response things like Rocky Horror, where you yell out the lines and dress-up like the characters?

No because Rocky Horror was a musical which forced people out of their seats to dance and sing along.

In order to get what you describe, a show has to have a certain tone. Rosemary's Baby is too earnest in tone and there's no "camp" value that you can latch on to that would make it worth creating an audience responsive showing.

Now on the other hand, if you had two or three witty gay, you could really make a campfest out of The Exorcist.

Also, I thought the "Sing Along" genre would pick up more speed than it did. "Sing A Long Sound of Music" could be fun in that campy responsive way. I really think one of those movie theaters in Chelsea should start a musical midnight showing with the intention of audience participation.

by Anonymousreply 52October 13, 2016 12:24 PM

[quote]Mia used to live near the Dakota. She and Woody could practically wave to each other across the park.

I know they used to tell this lie, but it's impossible to make out who a person is if you're on Central Park West and looking towards Fifth Avenue. Maybe Mia thought she was waving to Woody all those years, but it was probably Mai Fuk.

by Anonymousreply 53October 13, 2016 12:33 PM

The Bad Seed would make a terrific midnight movie.

by Anonymousreply 54October 13, 2016 12:35 PM

The obvious "Mommie Dearest" would really make a great audience response midnight movie.

by Anonymousreply 55October 13, 2016 12:39 PM

I think Mommie Dearest already had one. I seem to remember that once Paramount saw the reaction it was getting, they started advertising the camp value.

by Anonymousreply 56October 13, 2016 12:41 PM

I really think one of those movie theaters in Chelsea...

There's only one movie theater in Chelsea, r52, albeit with nine screens...

by Anonymousreply 57October 13, 2016 12:55 PM

[quote]There's only one movie theater in Chelsea, [R52], albeit with nine screens...

Did they close that one west of 8th Avenue on 23rd Street? I can't remember the name of it.

by Anonymousreply 58October 13, 2016 12:59 PM

I definitely feel it is campy.

I saw it 40 years after it was released, after being told what a terrifying classic it was.

I laughed my ass off.

"Hail Satan!"

by Anonymousreply 59October 13, 2016 1:22 PM

[quote]I laughed my ass off. "Hail Satan!"

But those scenes are the only things that's campy. You can get some comedy out of Ruth Gordon's performance, but there's not a lot in between. Believe me, I've tried.

I used to sit around with friends and we'd watch movies and make stupid comments. Ro's Baby was always a difficult one, even with Mia Farrow being comedy gold.

by Anonymousreply 60October 13, 2016 1:32 PM

This also brings up another point.

In the 1980s and prior, movie theaters used to run campy stuff like midnight showings. Was that because the managers were gay? I know the Waverly on 6th Avenue in NYC was run by a gay manager for a long time. I have a friend who worked there and had some funny stories.

I guess what I'm wondering is if AIDS knocked out all the gay men who would participate in this or are today's gays just not interested in a midnight audience participation campfest?

by Anonymousreply 61October 13, 2016 1:40 PM

[quote]I guess what I'm wondering is if AIDS knocked out all the gay men who would participate in this or are today's gays just not interested in a midnight audience participation campfest?

There's also the immediacy of being able to stream movies. The only recent movie that has developed a culture of audience participation is The Room.

by Anonymousreply 62October 13, 2016 1:43 PM

What amazes me is how many Dataloungers watched this film so many times and totally missed the part where you find out Terry was murdered by Laura Louise in a pre planned killing.

"Sometimes I wonder how come you're the leader of anything. Don't tell me what Laura Louise said. [bold] If you'd listened, we wouldn't have had to do this. [/bold]. We'd be all set to go now instead of starting from scratch. I told you not to tell her in advance! I told you she wouldn't be open minded. "

by Anonymousreply 63October 13, 2016 2:15 PM

[quote]There's also the immediacy of being able to stream movies.

I think this has taken off more because it seems like audience members have become more rude and disinterested. I now wait and watch most movies at home because people don't seem to know how to behave at the movies. But I miss enjoying a film with a group of people who are there to watch the film and not sit in a dark room and text their friends.

by Anonymousreply 64October 13, 2016 2:21 PM

Mia Farrow had a beautiful face, wonderfully symmetrical, reminds me a bit of Christy Turlington.

As a former actor, I always loved the fact that the man who gave his child to the devil for professional success was an actor, because it is totally true.

by Anonymousreply 65October 13, 2016 2:47 PM

If they remake it (God, I hope not), Rosemary should be married to a politician.

by Anonymousreply 66October 13, 2016 2:56 PM

A film that's very similar to Rosemary's Baby is Il Profumo Della Signora in Nero/The Perfume of the Lady in Black (1974)

by Anonymousreply 67October 13, 2016 3:39 PM

No they don't r25. She should have said , "It tastes chalky," or "It tastes funny," not "There is an under taste." Nobody talks like that.

by Anonymousreply 68October 13, 2016 4:01 PM

Maybe that's just how they talk in Omaha.

It's a fine city.

by Anonymousreply 69October 13, 2016 4:05 PM

R8 I agree it was not camp.There was an aspect to it that was rather unsettling. Then again Clockwork Orange and 2001 weren't camp and became Midnight Movies. Barbarella became one and it was a tremendous campfest.

by Anonymousreply 70October 13, 2016 4:12 PM

[quote] There is an under taste." Nobody talks like that.

I've said it. My mother said it. Just because you don't know the word doesn't mean other people don't. An undertaste is a very specific thing. It tastes ok at first, but then you detect something that seems off about it. You take another bite and it tastes ok -- then there it is again.

A chalky taste is just something that tastes like chalk. Nobody would swallow it, or at least not more than once.

by Anonymousreply 71October 13, 2016 4:18 PM

[quote]An undertaste is a very specific thing. It tastes ok at first, but then you detect something that seems off about it. You take another bite and it tastes ok -- then there it is again.

I understand what you're saying r71. I've heard the term when people talk about diet soda. There's that sweetness followed by a metallic taste.

by Anonymousreply 72October 13, 2016 4:22 PM

He was in LUTHER and NOBODY LOVES AN ALBATROSS.

by Anonymousreply 73October 13, 2016 4:26 PM

Something that doesn't translate to people seeing it for the first time 40 years later --when Dr Saperstein tells Rosemary he will put her in a mental hospital, that was very true. In those days, a doctor could commit you, especially if your husband wanted to be rid of you. Many menopausal women were institutionalised by their husbands. The husband would tell the dr the wife is crazy, imagining it's very hot, taking her clothes off, being short tempered, refusing to have sex because it hurt. The dr would ask, "Do you take your clothes off because you imagine you are very hot? Do you feel very hot right now? Does sex hurt you so much that you won't perform your wifely duties?" Answer yes and bye bye.

And there was the suspense throughout the movie -- is she imagining it? Hutch wrote boys adventure books and was melodramatic. Maybe he put ideas into her head (as Guy later claims). Guy says, "For Christ's sake Ro, they're a bunch of lonely old people and you think what, they're devil worshippers?"

It does sound crazy. Plus she loses weight instead of gaining it during pregnancy. Could be psychosomatic. She gets up in the middle of the night to eat raw meat. That's weird. It could be that it is all in Rosemary's head. Dr Saperstein is a well respected dr and Rosemary runs to Dr Charles Grodin and tells him that she's being stalked by people who want to hurt her baby, and Dr Saperstein is the cult leader.

Back then, you really weren't sure if she was imagining things. Women were not yet liberated. Even 10 years after this film was made, women were being given Valium prescriptions for everything. Lots of women became addicted to tranquillisers that were given to them for real illnesses. Drs thought it was hysteria. In a book about infectious diseases written in the 80s, there was a story of a woman with labyrinthitus in the early 1960s who was referred first to a gynaecologist. The gynaecologist then referred her to a psychiatrist. They really believed she was imagining her crippling dizziness. It was a case of "hysteria" (a word meaning that imaginary illnesses were cause by a uterus).

Rosemary could have been crazy all along. It's not until the end that we find out she isn't crazy after all, but what good does it do her?

by Anonymousreply 74October 13, 2016 4:38 PM
Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 75October 13, 2016 4:40 PM

[quote]It's not until the end that we find out she isn't crazy after all

Oh, is that your take on the ending?

by Anonymousreply 76October 13, 2016 4:44 PM

I feel like thrillers or suspense movies back then had a way of building it up. Like they start off as well crafted ordinary movies and thats what them even more haunting. Nowadays genre movies let you know what they are from the very beginning, with over the top antics and lazing writing. Its also the reason Sixth Sense works so well.

by Anonymousreply 77October 13, 2016 4:55 PM

Rosemary's Baby seems like the prequel to Eyes Wide Shut.

by Anonymousreply 78October 13, 2016 4:58 PM

[quote]Dr Saperstein is a well respected dr and Rosemary runs to Dr Charles Grodin and tells him that she's being stalked by people who want to hurt her baby, and Dr Saperstein is the cult leader.

Don't say that. It's not fair to Saperstein. Grodin is Charlie Nobody.

by Anonymousreply 79October 13, 2016 5:06 PM

Dr Grodin should have been a little more Jew-wise.

by Anonymousreply 80October 13, 2016 5:11 PM

As is usual in movies, Ro has no friends - I mean apart from the rent-a-crowd that turn up to her party and then disappear again & BTW, Ro does not seem to me to be the type of gurl who hangs with the kids from 'The Warhol Factory'.

So of course when things get difficult >>> NO ONE <<< not even a brother or sister - apart from creepy Hutch and we all know what happens to him.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 81October 13, 2016 5:18 PM

[quote]Dr Grodin should have been a little more Jew-wise.

What does that mean? Do you even know?

by Anonymousreply 82October 13, 2016 5:21 PM

>>>>>

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 83October 13, 2016 5:22 PM

I love the way in those days that they sent someone to the set to make a short promo documentary.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 84October 13, 2016 5:25 PM

[quote]So of course when things get difficult >>> NO ONE <<< not even a brother or sister - apart from creepy Hutch and we all know what happens to him.

I know, right? When I was dating Aidan, there was nobody there for me to turn to when it all went tits up.

by Anonymousreply 85October 13, 2016 5:28 PM

r82, this type of satanic activity is very real, even if the devil isn't. The founder of the Church of Satan was a Jew, as was the author of the novel Rosemary's Baby, which was written 1 year after the founding of Church of Satan. As was the director of Rosemary's Baby, Roman Polanski, who hung around with a satanic crowd in London and LA.

Jewish mysticism is basically Jewish satanism.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 86October 13, 2016 5:28 PM

Poo Shoes has entered the building

by Anonymousreply 87October 13, 2016 5:30 PM

Anyone who loves this era and movies from this time should see Petulia.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 88October 13, 2016 5:30 PM

In Eyes Wide Shut the ringleader was Victor Zeigler, a German Jew played by Sydney Pollack, the Jewish director who was an Israeli spy/operative in real life.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 89October 13, 2016 5:32 PM

In the book Rosemary has a sister who calls her somewhat regularly and who has a premonition that something is wrong. Her two roommates who rented from Hutch played more of a part in the book as well. She goes to the theatre with Elise, one of her former roommates who shows up briefly in the party scene in the film and who Rosemary attempts to reach before being caught by Saperstein in the film. She and Guy socialize with and have dinner with friends their own age IIRC

Rosemary is from a large catholic family in the book and there is some resentment that she has married a Protestant. The family doesn't like Guy for being Protestant and he dislikes them and seeks to alienate Rosemary even more from her family.

by Anonymousreply 90October 13, 2016 5:36 PM

In the McMartin Preschool case, it was a Jewish prosecutor who decided to basically shut down the investigation, refusing to press charges against the wider circle of abusers, despite dozens of the children having physical evidence of sexual abuse and even STDs.

by Anonymousreply 91October 13, 2016 5:36 PM

Tell me this doesn't sound like Rosemary's Baby type stuff:

"The CIA created a front group called The False Memory Syndrome Foundation (FMSF) to debunk, ridicule, and defame victims of Satanic Ritual Abuse, pedophilic sexual abuse, and CIA cult mind control activities. The board members of FMSF reads like a Who’s Who of CIA contractors and “consultants”."

"The following excerpt is a letter concerning the McMartin investigation. It was written by Sergeant Beth Dickerson of the Los Angeles County Sheriff’s Department, and sent to Agent Kenneth Lanning at the FBI Academy’s Behavioral Sciences Unit in Quantico, Virginia, dated February 10, 1985:

In all, the victims named seven teachers (six women and one male) at the preschool as having molested them. Also named are about 30 other individuals still uncharged, as well as numerous unidentified ‘strangers.’

Most children state they were photographed in the nude… They mention drinking a red or pink liquid that made them sleepy… Children disclose animal sacrificing (bunnies, ponies, turtles, etc.) and some of this occurred in churches. Victims describe sticks put in their vaginas and rectums and also being ‘pooped’ and ‘peed’ on. Children say that the adults sometimes dressed in black robes, formed a circle around them and chanted.

These children talk of strangers coming to the school and molesting them, being taken off campus and molested, being photographed nude and some talk of animals being abused. The children talk of being hit with sticks and of being ‘peed’ and ‘pooped’ on…"

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 92October 13, 2016 5:37 PM

She says "Shut up!" not "Be quiet", R13. I always thought it was funny that the ever polite Rosemary is telling folks to shut up by the end of the film.

by Anonymousreply 93October 13, 2016 5:38 PM

Ok, time to FF the Jew hating troll. She won't ruin this thread with her insanity.

by Anonymousreply 94October 13, 2016 5:38 PM

McMartin Jew, one of many key witnesses to die right before trial:

"The suspect known by the children as “Wolfman”, was Robert Winkler. The kids described Winkler as being a frequent visitor to the school, who oftentimes delivered drugs for use in abusive rituals, which were sometimes conducted in churches, a cemetery, or a crematorium. The “Wolfman” turned up dead on the eve of his trial, allegedly of a drug overdose."

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 95October 13, 2016 5:40 PM

Jimmy Savile was all wrapped up in the satanic ritual abuse stuff:

Arch Paedophile Jimmy Savile was a devout Zionist and an Israel supporter

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 96October 13, 2016 5:42 PM

Conspiracy of Silence, a documentary listed for viewing in TV Guide Magazine was to be aired on the Discovery Channel, on May 3, 1994. This documentary exposed a network of religious leaders and Washington politicians who flew children to Washington D.C. for sex orgies.

Many children suffered the indignity of wearing nothing but their underwear and a number displayed on a piece of cardboard hanging from their necks when being auctioned off to foreigners in Las Vegas, Nevada and Toronto, Canada.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 97October 13, 2016 5:45 PM

Hmmmm, is the anti-Semite in here for real??? Good Lord. Give it a rest, will ya?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 98October 13, 2016 5:49 PM

John Lennon was so enchanted by Rosemary's Baby that he immediately took Mia Farrow's sister to India, and wrote a song about her, Dear Prudence. Then he and Yoko moved right into the Dakota.

I bet Yoko is a real witch.

by Anonymousreply 99October 13, 2016 5:49 PM

[quote]John Lennon was so enchanted by Rosemary's Baby that he immediately took Mia Farrow's sister to India, and wrote a song about her, Dear Prudence. Then he and Yoko moved right into the Dakota.

You don't know what the fuck you're talking about. The film hadn't even been released yet.

& they had already been there two weeks when the Beatles arrived.

by Anonymousreply 100October 13, 2016 5:53 PM

footage recorded from outside of the skull and bones society at yale.

The CIA was created mostly with Skull and Bones men. A secret society based on the occult.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 101October 13, 2016 5:53 PM

Bohemian Grove (Human Sacrifice) caught on tape

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 102October 13, 2016 5:55 PM

Here's the scene in The Good Shephard where Matt Damon gets ritually pissed on in his Skull and Bones initiation, just like the children of McMartin and elsewhere.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 103October 13, 2016 6:00 PM

Come on, I need more support for "under taste." That line almost ruined the movie.

by Anonymousreply 104October 13, 2016 6:35 PM

[quote]As is usual in movies, Ro has no friends - I mean apart from the rent-a-crowd that turn up to her party and then disappear again

Thank you R90 for pointing out that ROSEMARY did have more support in the book and the Elise character played by EMMALINE HENRY in the film was about 15 years older. HENRY is best remembered for playing Mrs. Bellows ('Amanda') on tv's I DREAM OF JEANNIE.

In fact in the scene where the cult has broken into the apartment and are about to induce the baby to be born it's Elise who calls while their holding down Rosemary. Guy lies and tells Elise that he'll have Rosemary cal her back.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 105October 13, 2016 6:38 PM

[quote]that Sharon Tate is shown in the party scene

Apparently, SHARON was present in the scene while it was filmed but she is NOT in any of the shown footage. SHARON did visit ROMAN in NYC during filming in the summer of '67. There are photographs of her visiting. She also did a pictorial shoot for ESQUIRE MAGAZINE while there that we featured in their December 1967 issue.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 106October 13, 2016 6:45 PM

Some say the film is antisemitic because most of the devil worshippers are Jewish.

by Anonymousreply 107October 13, 2016 6:45 PM

POLANSKI is a jew

by Anonymousreply 108October 13, 2016 6:46 PM

[quote]Some say the film is antisemitic because most of the devil worshippers are Jewish.

Clara was Jewish? Did Andy know?

by Anonymousreply 109October 13, 2016 6:52 PM

Another problem I had with RB was the casting of John Cassavetes as a struggling young actor. He should have been cast as a thoroughly pretentious filmmaker enamored by the New York Times who ground out insulting versions of "The Emperor's New Clothes. "

by Anonymousreply 110October 13, 2016 7:30 PM

[quote]Another problem I had with RB was the casting of John Cassavetes as a struggling young actor.

Who can afford to rent that great big place and tart it up from top to toe.

by Anonymousreply 111October 13, 2016 7:33 PM

The girl that Rosemary befriends in the laundry room, the former junkie the Castevets take in.. Terry Gionoffrio? Her committing suicide by throwing herself off the building. Nice first ominous touch there.

by Anonymousreply 112October 13, 2016 7:35 PM

[quote]Who can afford to rent that great big place and tart it up from top to toe.

Rent control, dahling.

by Anonymousreply 113October 13, 2016 7:36 PM

[quote]Another problem I had with RB was the casting of John Cassavetes as a struggling young actor.

POLANSKI had envisioned TUESDAY WELD & ROBERT REDFORD for Rosemary and Guy.

by Anonymousreply 114October 13, 2016 7:39 PM

Fun pic of Mia at the London premiere....you'll need to click on it to see it properly. Sharon's just behind her etc..

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 115October 13, 2016 7:41 PM

R115

That's also PETER SELLERS on the far right. IAN QUARRIER who played the platinum blond gay vampire in THE FEARLESS VAMPIRE KILLERS is next to SHARON and the black lady is the late DONYALE who was a big model back then (in Europe). IAN & DONYALE dated for some time.

by Anonymousreply 116October 13, 2016 7:46 PM

That photo was actually at the showing at The Cannes Film Festival - as was this>>

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 117October 13, 2016 7:57 PM

Who is that in the row behind wearing the sunglasses?

by Anonymousreply 118October 13, 2016 7:57 PM

r114, I thought it was Jane Fonda.

by Anonymousreply 119October 13, 2016 8:00 PM

[quote]and the black lady is the late DONYALE who was a big model back then (in Europe). IAN & DONYALE dated for some time

Donyale Luna - the first black woman to be on the cover of Vogue, in 1966.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 120October 13, 2016 8:04 PM

Ruth Gordon wins the Oscar for Best Supporting Actress. I love the way she sashays up to the podium.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 121October 13, 2016 11:50 PM

[quote]Ruth Gordon wins the Oscar for Best Supporting Actress.

Right. & Mia didn't even get nominated. Weird. Wonder if it had anything to do with her divorce from Frank Sinatra.

by Anonymousreply 122October 13, 2016 11:55 PM

Mia, Cassavetes and Sidney Blackmer should all have been nominated.

by Anonymousreply 123October 13, 2016 11:57 PM

Most of all, Mia - others weren't THAT special.

by Anonymousreply 124October 13, 2016 11:58 PM

[quote] Tannis, anyone?

Did someone call me?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 125October 14, 2016 12:04 AM

I' no Mia fan, but I think she is well cast in this role, esp as the film progresses. After she cuts her hair, she looks like a little baby duckling, tottering around in that little dress. She had a perfect 60s look. She has no boobs, and that waiflike look underscores Rosemary's suspicion, fear and physical illness. I like Tuesday Weld a lot, but she's so luscious and sexy--she'd be a different Rosemary altogether.

Cassavetes I love. LOVE. That sinister and devilish face. He's perfect. Redford, I think, would have been creepier in a different way, esp given his golden boy looks at the time.

The whole film holds up well too, IMO. Like THE GRADUATE, it has such an interesting look...great interiors, authentic outdoor sequences.

by Anonymousreply 126October 14, 2016 12:55 AM

Stay where you are; it hurts less when I move.

by Anonymousreply 127October 14, 2016 1:00 AM

[quote]I like Tuesday Weld a lot, but she's so luscious and sexy--she'd be a different Rosemary altogether.

Yeah, but in the book, Rosemary is this cornfed Midwestern woman. She's not waif-y Mia.

Don't get me wrong, I can't imagine anyone else in the role.

by Anonymousreply 128October 14, 2016 1:00 AM

I knew them. At least, out of the five people killed in the Tate house that night, I knew four of them. I’d met Sharon Tate at the Cannes Film Festival. Jay Sebring cut my hair a couple of times. I’d had lunch once in San Francisco with Abigail Folger and her boyfriend, Frykowski. In other words, I’d known them independently of each other. And yet one night there they were, all gathered together in the same house waiting for your friends to arrive. Quite a coincidence.

by Anonymousreply 129October 14, 2016 1:45 AM

I was there too! In the party scene. I gave the camera my best satanic look.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 130October 14, 2016 1:51 AM

This is an especially good documentary about Polanski from 2011. A friend of his interviewing him about his life. I've bookmarked at Rosemary's Baby - but the whole thing is worth watching.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 131October 14, 2016 2:06 AM

...oops, no, that's the part about Sharon Tate's murder - sorry. I felt sure there's more about Rosemary's Baby in that documentary, but I can't find it. As I said, the whole thing's worth watching.

by Anonymousreply 132October 14, 2016 2:12 AM

IT WAS THE MOLD IN THE CHARM, I TELLS YA...............................

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 133October 14, 2016 3:13 AM

Her poor friend Hutch...he was gay, wasn't he? And the devil worshippers killed him because...why? They were afraid he'd find them out? What did they think he could do about it? Go to the police and say "there's a young friend of mine who is being menaced by some devil worshippers who intend to impregnant her with Satan's spawn?" If he'd done that then HE was the one who would have been carted off to the insane asylum. I really didn't see a really good reason for the killing of poor Hutch.

by Anonymousreply 134October 14, 2016 3:52 AM

[quote] ergot kernels are really obvious when you look at pictures of them. They're usually larger than the grains they infect and they're black. But they were so common in rye that, until the 17th Century, they were even included in botanical drawings of the rye plant because people thought they were a part of rye. That's how common they were.

Well, if they were so common that people thought they were part of the plant, then why wasn't everybody up until the 17th century tripping?

by Anonymousreply 135October 14, 2016 4:25 AM

R135, really? Hutch would have removed Rosemary from the clutches of the satanists if he'd been allowed to live. Rosemary trusted Hutch.

Roman was immediately aware that Hutch was smart and well read -- Hutch never heard of tannis root and showed that he was very familiar with botany. The tannis smelled like a fungus to hutch. He became suspicious of these elderly people plying Rosemary with herbal drinks and having her wear a smelly fungus around her neck. Hutch noticed that Roman had pierced ears. Hutch knew the apartment house's colorful history.

Roman saw that Hutch was suspicious. That's why he called Guy away from the set Guy was working on.

They'd already had to kill Terry when she found out what they were up to. Roman didn't want anything to interfere with this plan - Rosemary was already pregnant with the devil's spawn. They couldn't let anyone or anything get in their way.

by Anonymousreply 136October 14, 2016 4:42 AM

R136 Remember Hutch smelt the fungus, and he soon died. Rosemary and Terry were the other two who came in contact with the fungus - Rosemary loses her mind (which gets even worse when she doesn't take her medication, and Terry jump out of a window).

Hutch's role in the film is to flag that it is a fungus, rather than merely being a 'herb'.

by Anonymousreply 137October 14, 2016 5:07 AM

Mia was positively beautiful on Peyton Place with her long blonde hair. When she cut is all off, yeah not so much.

by Anonymousreply 138October 14, 2016 9:29 AM

The Rosemary's Baby blu ray is worth getting. Criterion.

by Anonymousreply 139October 14, 2016 12:14 PM

And here OP is the answer to your question. RB can't be a midnight cult classic because too many people want to be Siskel and Roeper.

by Anonymousreply 140October 14, 2016 12:38 PM

Terry didn't jump out of a window. The coven threw her out the window.

by Anonymousreply 141October 14, 2016 3:13 PM

Devil worshippers wouldn't throw a street urchin out a window.

by Anonymousreply 142October 14, 2016 6:48 PM

I thought Terry jumped out the window when she found out she was supposed to be Satan's bride. There was something like that on the old soap opera "Dark Shadows." Josette DuPres was in love with Barnabas Collins. The jealous witch had him turned into a vampire. He still loved her and wanted her for his bride but when she found out what she would be if she married him (a blood sucking vampire) she threw herself off Widow's Hill, committing suicide rather than being transformed into a vampire.

by Anonymousreply 143October 15, 2016 12:38 AM

R141 Are we sure they did? I just like putting the alternative spin onto accepted plots. It's interesting rewatching films with a different plot in mind. I think the mold theory does make sense if you accept she is losing her mind. The notion of what is a dream and what is life is a strong theme in the movie - that's why I think the dream sequence of her being on the boat doesn't fit in with the witchcraft theme. It seems to be rather out of step with the witchy element. But if you put that dream sequence in the perspective of the mold theory, it makes sense. Anyhow.

by Anonymousreply 144October 15, 2016 1:27 AM

Terry wasn't open-minded, as Minnie later complained. She jumped.

by Anonymousreply 145October 15, 2016 2:56 AM

One of my favorite small touches in this movie is when we see the smoke suggestive of hell fire curling around the corner from where Roman is giving his pitch to Guy.

Another is when Rosemary uses the kitchen knife to stop the motion and noise of the rocking lace covered cradle.

by Anonymousreply 146October 15, 2016 3:02 AM

What I didn't understand is how the hell Guy could afford that apartment when he was a struggling out of work actor. That place was huge. And they must have spent a fortune redecorating it. Rosemary said that chair cost $300 if I remember correctly. If you put that into an inflation calculator, in today's terms that would be about $2,000. For 1 chair. How could he afford all of that if he was just doing commercials??

by Anonymousreply 147October 15, 2016 3:12 AM

R147 New York apartments were still relatively affordable in 1967. And that place was supposed to be something of a dump, even though it was partly filmed at the high-end Dakota.

by Anonymousreply 148October 15, 2016 3:24 AM

"Is God dead?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 149October 15, 2016 6:19 AM

The Death Of Composer Krzysztof Komeda:

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 150October 15, 2016 6:31 AM

Hurry- only two left.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 151October 15, 2016 10:09 AM

"As a former actor, I always loved the fact that the man who gave his child to the devil for professional success was an actor, because it is totally true."

He wasn't the baby's father, unless you're going with the mold insanity theory.

Another "undertaste" supporter here. It was a common term when and where I grew up (70s and 80s, rural Ohio).

by Anonymousreply 152October 15, 2016 4:42 PM

The poet Rainer Maria Rilke said this:

"Once there was a God. Now there is no God. Someday there will be a God again."

I interpreted this to mean that God only exists as a belief. If you believe, then God exists. If you don't, then there is no God. That made sense to me. God is only "dead" if you don't believe in Him.

by Anonymousreply 153October 15, 2016 11:39 PM

I just watched it again. When Rosemary is sitting in Dr. Saperstein's office waiting to see him - reading "Is God Dead" Time magazine - it looks like one of the other patients who smiles at her is Penny Marshall. But I didn't see her name in the credits.

by Anonymousreply 154October 19, 2016 5:05 AM

And her reading "Yes, I Can." FRom her choice of words it's clear she rarely reads anything besides The New Yorker.

by Anonymousreply 155October 19, 2016 3:34 PM

Any behind the scenes gossip?

by Anonymousreply 156October 23, 2018 8:56 PM

I always felt so sorry for her poor gay friend Hutch. He tried to warn her about the devil worshippers and ends up getting killed by them. I always found his death to be the most disturbing thing in the film.

by Anonymousreply 157October 23, 2018 9:03 PM

R157 I had no idea Hutch was gay, am I the only one who didn't catch that? And yes, I also felt bad for him.

by Anonymousreply 158October 23, 2018 9:23 PM

Must I bring up the undertaste again? I notice "undertaste" currently has a red underline.

by Anonymousreply 159October 23, 2018 9:30 PM

I'd like to see it remade as "Rose#MeToo's Baby",

by Anonymousreply 160October 23, 2018 9:49 PM

"He has his Father Harvey's eyes."

by Anonymousreply 161October 23, 2018 9:50 PM

[italic]It never ages or dated[/italic]

I agree.

by Anonymousreply 162October 23, 2018 9:54 PM

R160 r161 thanks for making me laugh ,I have had a shit week

by Anonymousreply 163October 23, 2018 9:55 PM

R160 great idea! Rose can be the star, with a shaved head rather than a pixie cut. Her nemesis Alyssa Milano can play a member of the wicked coven. Meryl Streep for Ruth Gordon role (even though I still love Meryl ) . Now who will be Guy?

by Anonymousreply 164October 23, 2018 9:58 PM

[quote]I always felt so sorry for her poor gay friend Hutch. He tried to warn her about the devil worshippers and ends up getting killed by them. I always found his death to be the most disturbing thing in the film.

Hutch was kind of queeny, but he had a ladyfriend. She's the one who gives Rosemary the book after his funeral.

by Anonymousreply 165October 23, 2018 11:38 PM

[quote]Hutch was kind of queeny, but he had a ladyfriend

Fag hag.

by Anonymousreply 166October 23, 2018 11:43 PM

James Franco as Guy.

by Anonymousreply 167October 23, 2018 11:58 PM

Yes, I agree, OP.

I found the movie to be campy and hilarious. Especially the boisterous chants of "Hail Satan!" in high-key lighting.

I saw this movie for the first time in the 21st century; long after it could have disturbed anyone.

by Anonymousreply 168October 24, 2018 12:09 AM

[quote]I've heard the term when people talk about diet soda. There's that sweetness followed by a metallic taste.

No you haven't r72. What you've heard people say is what you wrote: "This Diet Pepsi has a metallic taste." You've never heard anyone sayd: "This Diet Pepsi has an undertaste." I'm a motherfucking lyrical wordsmith, and I should know.

Maybe it was in the Levin novel, and Polanski picked it up in the screenplay.

by Anonymousreply 169October 24, 2018 12:16 AM

One of the weird things about the Guy character is he wasn't actively malicious. He really just didn't see the big deal about what he did.

by Anonymousreply 170October 24, 2018 12:44 AM

R71...I have said 'aftertaste'...to me though, these are two separate things...an aftertaste appears moments after tasting something, while an undertaste would suggest something that someone is trying to mask with another flavor...totally on point with the plot of RB.

by Anonymousreply 171October 24, 2018 12:56 AM

Cum has an aftertaste. Ass has an undertaste.

by Anonymousreply 172October 24, 2018 1:22 AM

If you're eating ass with a chalky undertaste, you have bigger problems.

[quote]Maybe it was in the Levin novel, and Polanski picked it up in the screenplay.

If it's in the screenplay, it's from the novel. Polanski didn't realize he could change the story, so a lot of it is lifted straight out of the book.

by Anonymousreply 173October 24, 2018 1:25 AM

r148, Rosemary and Guy move into the Brahm in either late August or early September 1965.

by Anonymousreply 174October 24, 2018 1:41 AM

Monsters

Not. fair. ...TO SAPERSTEIN?!

You’re pregnant! (love the sense of wonder and happiness in her voice)

Your neighbor Minnie has a herb garden. I’m going to have her make you a daily shake that will be more nutritious than any store bought vitamin...(the candor of his voice is so salesman slick)

God bless Dr Hill (again, her hopeful naïveté gets me. This part of the movie makes me so tense. You can sense dread and it’s so crushing when he betrays her).

Yer eeyvil! Yer weitches! Yer WEEITCHEZ!!!(I could play this on repeat to some of my co-workers)

Girls only. No men allowed!

What’s in it?

Oh, snips and snails and puppy dog’s tails.

And tannis root?

Yeah, a little of that...

I’m going to throw s party. Nobody over the age of 60 is allowed!

Whatarya havin’ a party or sumpin?

Sort of. A get together with some old friends we haven’t seen in ages.

I’ll help.

Thank you, but I can manage and we’re hiring a caterer.

Well at least let me help you clean up the place.

Now Minnie, I’ll have no more of this. You’re acting like a mother hen, now scoot!

by Anonymousreply 175October 24, 2018 2:55 AM

John Cassevettes was so hot.

by Anonymousreply 176October 24, 2018 3:00 AM

I was bitten by a mouse.

by Anonymousreply 177October 24, 2018 3:02 AM

R176 wasn't there some friction between him and Polanski on set? I vaguely recall Polanski making derogatory remarks about him years later.

by Anonymousreply 178October 24, 2018 3:03 AM

"Hello, Dr. Sapierstein . . . "

by Anonymousreply 179October 24, 2018 3:08 AM

I wonder if John and Mia had an onset affair, I think she divorced after filming

by Anonymousreply 180October 24, 2018 3:08 AM

Was Casavettes into the gay sex?

by Anonymousreply 181October 24, 2018 3:12 AM

Isn't it spelled "Sapirstein?"

by Anonymousreply 182October 24, 2018 5:53 AM

"aftertaste" is the right word; it's in Webster's

by Anonymousreply 183October 24, 2018 6:50 PM

Bump

by Anonymousreply 184October 24, 2018 9:52 PM

My advice is------John Cassavetes's Fices!

by Anonymousreply 185October 24, 2018 10:00 PM

R185 supposedly Polanski thought Casdavetes was a terrible director. I don't know why but there was some sort of rivalry between them. I believe both were talented although they made very different types of films.

by Anonymousreply 186October 25, 2018 1:49 AM

They were living off Guy's Honda commercial residuals. In the book I think Guy was a regular on a soap opera.

by Anonymousreply 187October 25, 2018 7:33 AM

r185, bully for Polanski! Cassavetes's movies were horribly pretentious, loved by the critics and hated by the public. I wish they had cast him in RB as a pretentious director instead of an actor.

by Anonymousreply 188October 25, 2018 2:19 PM

R188 hmm I had heard good things about them from critics and was thinking of blind buying a criterion collection .

by Anonymousreply 189October 25, 2018 4:48 PM

R188 though I do agree that the character would have made FAR more sense as an aspiring director or playwright. He just has that "vibe ". I believe both leads were perfectly cast but I would have changed that one thing .

by Anonymousreply 190October 25, 2018 4:50 PM

"When I think what they spend on robes and jewels!!!"

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 191October 25, 2018 8:52 PM

Was cassavetes gay bi or straight?

by Anonymousreply 192October 25, 2018 9:04 PM

Bump

by Anonymousreply 193October 29, 2018 5:27 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!