Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

The Queen(1968)

Anyone else love this documentary? Frank Ocean has utilized a sample of Miss Crystal and her mini meltdown for one of his songs on his new recording.

Great documentary and time capsule. A precurser to "Paris is Burning"

by Anonymousreply 20February 24, 2020 6:15 PM

The sample is off his "Endless" video album

by Anonymousreply 1August 23, 2016 11:20 PM

The QUEEN? Carlotta??? Edith Massey's finest role.

by Anonymousreply 2August 23, 2016 11:40 PM

The backstage shenanigans at the end of the film are funny

by Anonymousreply 3August 24, 2016 4:30 PM

It's also part of the opening clips to "Transparent."

by Anonymousreply 4August 24, 2016 4:34 PM

Miss Crystal's diva fit following the 1967 Nationals

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 5August 24, 2016 4:35 PM

After her sex change, Rachel Harlow dated John "Kell" Kelly Jr., Grace's brother and an Olympic medalist who ran for mayor of Philadelphia. He was deeply in love with her and unashamed of their relationship, but he dropped out of the mayor's race after his mother publicly supported his opponent. He finally broke things off after Ma Kelly threatened to cut him out of her will.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 6August 24, 2016 4:50 PM

R6 Rachel Harlow also opened one of the first gay discos in Philadelphia's called "Harlow's" in 1970 and later a second Harlow's was opened in Atlantic City.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 7August 24, 2016 5:01 PM

r7 Correction: it was actually considered a straight club when she opened it.

by Anonymousreply 8August 24, 2016 5:12 PM

[quote]It's not her fault. She can't help it! You deserve to have the best in life—but you didn't deserve THIS! I don't say she's not beautiful, but she wasn't looking beautiful TONIGHT! She doesn't equal me! Look at her makeup—IT'S TERRIBLE!

by Anonymousreply 9August 24, 2016 5:20 PM

Interesting feature article about The Mother Flawless Sabrina (Jack Doroshow), who ran the Nationals pageant system in the late '50s and '60s. His half-brother was the late musician-producer Gregg Diamond, best known for Andrea True's "More, More, More."

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 10August 24, 2016 8:46 PM

Bump

by Anonymousreply 11August 29, 2016 5:02 AM

This is now on Netflix and is worth watching.

by Anonymousreply 12February 24, 2020 4:25 AM

Everything talks about the Crystal/Rachel thing, but my strongest memory of the movie is the southern queen in the hotel room. The little back stories were more interesting to me than Crystal's not especially sharp bitchery.

by Anonymousreply 13February 24, 2020 4:53 AM

Verrrry slow. At the time I’m sure it was very interesting. Now everyone does drag. But interesting as a time capsule. Just gets boring after 15 minutes.

by Anonymousreply 14February 24, 2020 5:43 PM

R6 John Kelly still looks great for his age. He shows up at the Phila rowing club (Vesper, I think?).

by Anonymousreply 15February 24, 2020 5:47 PM

^ oops. I mean his son

by Anonymousreply 16February 24, 2020 5:51 PM

Interesting R15. So this is Grace’s nephew - or brother?

by Anonymousreply 17February 24, 2020 5:56 PM

J.B. Kelly III

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 18February 24, 2020 6:06 PM

How did he get involved with the Prince Albert of Monaco Foundation?

by Anonymousreply 19February 24, 2020 6:08 PM

Interesting- thanks R18. I’ve heard most of the Kelly’s moved out to Newtown Square area.

The Prince Albert Foundation bought the Kelly house where Grace grew up and the family lived. For $775k. I’ve always thought it contradicted the myth of Grace Kelly that the house was actually in a less-posh area of Philly than the Main Line. East Falls. Nice block - but it’s only a few blocks of nice houses surrounded by working class housing.

by Anonymousreply 20February 24, 2020 6:15 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!